K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Guest kdramanut

I've been ordering from only Yesasia, and didn't like how KBS-America ran their "e-store" site. I mean, is it secure? The fact that the system makes you e-mail them for every bit of info about the drama dvd is ridiculous. They do not provide customer's with what the boxset will look like, no information on the region code, number of dvd's and etc. The way they are handling they're online store is not very professional...

From what I understand, it sounds like KBS-AMERICA is now producing their own dvd boxsets? Please correct me if I'm wrong :sweatingbullets: So these boxsets are not the original dvd sets produced in Korea (Bitwin)? If that's the case I find the pricing on the boxsets a little too high... I miss purchasing KBS dramas...so is dvdheaven.com and dvdsfromkorea.com reliable? For those who have ordered from these sites how is the shipping service?

Because I had the same concerns, I didn't buy from KBS's e-store. I purchased the Wedding box set at my local Korean record store. It's still the KBS-America version with absolutely no extras - I was very disappointed. I don't think KBS-America understands that one of the reasons fans shell out $100 for a box set is for the extras.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks like MBC America also have their own dvd boxsets for the US market... anyone know anything about there? quality of english subs? i know there aren't any extra features, like the ones manufactured by bitwin... however, those are usually in region 3 and not subtitled. (http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/2...tml?id=N6dmZDUR)

i really wanted to buy bitwin's version of My Name is Kim Sam Soon, but there's no subs... so i ended up purchasing the one from YA... it's annoying how they include a bonus episode or two from other dramas they've bought rights to... i already have most of them, anyway. i'd rather have a boxset w/ extra features, especially considering how they run $85+ per set.

i wouldn't be surprised if the newer drama releases on the kbs e-store are not selling well... for those prices, it's not worth it. i could just as easily get those cheap versions off e-Bay for $20-30. and some of them (i.e., Lovers in Paris, Full House) even had the extra features, subbed in chinese!

I just received a reply from Tom Larsen at YA Entertainment and thought that I'd share some good news with everyone! :) Looks like my campaign to have them release SBS's "Love Letter" and "X Man" are starting to pay off! :D I'm also pushing him to add the bonus features with the dvd releases. We'll see how that goes.

Tom's reply:

Thank you for your recommendations. We will be releasing the first three on your list sometime this summer (Palace, Wolf, My Girl). Yeah! I will look into the other two (especially Heaven's Tree).

We will be releasing "Lawyers" in a few weeks, then these two dramas in March: "Save the Last Dance for Me" and "Shoot for the Stars." I have already watched "Shoot for the Stars" and loved it.

Thank you for your suggestion to subtitle/release entertainment/game shows. Some people in my office have also recently raised up this idea. I really like it, and I promise to explore it very soon. I would love to see my favorite K-drama actors/actresses in these shows!

Let's keep in touch, and feel free to forward any recommendations anytime. It's really great to be back in touch.

Thanks,

Tom

My suggestions in the e-mail:

Here are a few new dramas that you should take notice:

- Princess Hours/Goong/Palace (MBC)

- My Girl (SBS)

- Wolf (MBC)

- Heaven's Tree (SBS) - Upcoming pre-quel to "Stairway to Heaven"

- Season of Love/Love Time (SBS)

^^ WOW if Yesasia released Love Letter and X-Man on DVD with english subtitles that would be awesome! I would totally buy Season 1 of Love Letter without hesitation!! ^_^

blitzy, you are awesome!!! thanks for sharing the info... i'm definitely looking forward to My Girl's release.

one question... do you know if YA is planning on buying the rights to any of those dramas to do the English subs? i've always had a preference to the actual Korean version (by bitwin, or SBS) because i like the fold out cases, and the extra features (like NG's and cast interviews).

i know those that are going to be released soon (Save Last Dance, Shooting Stars, Lawyers) are by YA Entertainment~ i saw 'em on yesasia's site.

and yes, i really do hope they'll release shows like X-Man and Love Letter... i would definitely buy those! especially the first season of Love Letter... they were hilarious, and i love many of the guests they had on.

blitzy, you are awesome!!! thanks for sharing the info... i'm definitely looking forward to My Girl's release.

one question... do you know if YA is planning on buying the rights to any of those dramas to do the English subs? i've always had a preference to the actual Korean version (by bitwin, or SBS) because i like the fold out cases, and the extra features (like NG's and cast interviews).

I'm not sure, but I can ask for you. :) I'm assuming that they are going to buy the rights to release the drama in North America. Therefore, it most likely won't be in the fold out cases like those that Bitwin produces. :( I'll try to persuade him otherwise, though.

and yes, i really do hope they'll release shows like X-Man and Love Letter... i would definitely buy those! especially the first season of Love Letter... they were hilarious, and i love many of the guests they had on.

Me too! I would totally go bankrupt on collecting X-Man and Love Letter episodes. I just LOVE the first season when Shinhwa was on! The female guests were so much better and more popular.

interesting discussion about DVD publishing, thanks everyone :)

fyi for those who aren't aware yet, dvdfromkorea.com is having a sale on some of its KDrama sets. so tempting!

question: has anyone purchased We Are Dating (SBS produced). Are the subs any good? i hope they aren't as bad as Happy Together :unsure:

^ yep... i noticed that yesterday when i browsed the site. except, a lot of the tv dramas (bitwin) on sale are pre-order for now...

dvdheaven.com is also having a sale on many bitwin dramas...i compared the two sites, and most of the prices on the same dramas are similar.

it's definitely a good time to add to the kdrama collection. i'm tempted to buy a bunch! :)

the SBS produced drama sets aren't that great. I mean, if it officially says, YA Entertainment...then, that's the US version...that YesAsia subbed themselves.

But, if says, SBS Production (if i remember correctly)...they've been releasing drama sets w/ very bad english subtitles. the only two SBS produced sets I've bought w/ good subs are, ALL IN and LOVERS IN PARIS.

angelxsmile: which sbs dramas do you have w/ bad subs??? i've been wanting to get Fashion 70's, but it's like more than $130 for the set. that's not worth it if the subs really suck.

bitwin is usually ok... a lot of the official KBS dramas that i have have decent quality subs.

angelxsmile: which sbs dramas do you have w/ bad subs??? i've been wanting to get Fashion 70's, but it's like more than $130 for the set. that's not worth it if the subs really suck.

bitwin is usually ok... a lot of the official KBS dramas that i have have decent quality subs.

I didn't purchase Fashion 70s, even though I've heard it's an awesome drama. But, fans from the Fashion 70s thread have said that the english subtitling are not fantastic and the only example they gave was, that in some parts or episodes...they spell the names wrong. For more info, it's best if you ask or pm soompier, shirley. I think she's the only one in that thread that bought the original dvd set.

is a love to kill coming out witheng subs anytime soon?

YesAsia's tentative release date for, A LOVE TO KILL, is on March 20th. Keep in mind the date may change. And, I believe most (if not all) KBS TV series do come w/ english subtitles, nowadays.

Guest twitchx

we should really form a task force to annoy them until they start releasing some of the old classics. ^_^

I mean, 여명의 눈동자 (Eyes of Dawn). I'd sell a leg to see that on DVD. If we can gather a dozen people who can e-mail them saying they're interested, I'm sure they'd look into it. Best TV drama... EVAH. :-P

I was just wondering if someone who has purchased from dvdfromkorea.com could englighten me. After reading a few posts about KBS's ecommerce site, I decided to purchase from dvdfromkorea. Just out of curiousity, but how long does it usually take to receive a package from Korea to the US? I chose air mail shipping and my status showed shipped even though I didn't receive any email confirmation, tracking number, or anything. It's been a little over a week, so I'm just wondering what's normal. (I know I'm probably just being impatient :P , but just wondering what others' experiences were like with this company.) Thanks!

Guest liztical

heyy guys~ im furiously looking for the drama " Baek sul Gong ju" starring Kim Jung Hwa & Lee Wan. Do u know where I can get it? please help out!! =]

And how the Korean DVD set for Wedding will look like:

dvd017111_1.jpg

dvd017111_5.jpg

Creidesca, do you know if this set contains bonus features? I just checked with DVDHeaven.com and although theirs is Region All and widescreen AND 7 discs, it doesn't have bonus features. Does anyone know where I can get this with bonus features and region all?

Archived