K-dramas On Dvds - Oh For The Love Of Boxsets!

Guest shred

Upcoming releases and DVD reviews - updated 2011.05.16Where to buy original DVDs:

aladdinus.com - korean, check tutorial purchasing by creidesca
borders.com - north american releases
dvdasian.com - KR releasees
dvdpacific.com - north american releases
hanbooks.com - KR and north american releases
innoform dramas / innoform movies - Singapore-based store
k2dvd.com - KR releases
madmad.co.kr - korean only
mbcamericastore.com - KR and north american releases
music-plaza.com - north american and KR releases
mvibo.com - operated by KBS
rightstuf.com - north american and KR releases
http://www.sbs-int.com/eng/x_bbs/e_bbs_dvd.asp?smnu=34 - SBS International
scarecrow.com - for north american releases
yesasia.com

Publishers:
PMP - English-subbed Malaysian releases
YA Entertainment - North American releases

Blogs, etc.:

Beautiful Things In Life - a showcase of DVD and OST CD packaging by GemDaVinci
AsianPopShock by No1_AntiElitist

======================================================

FYI: How to avoid buying bootlegs - by Qi Luo

(blitzy @ Mar 2 2006, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sent an e-mail to Tom Larsen of YA Entertainment this morning and received the following reply. It's good to know that they are working hard to give the customers what they want. YA's still the best!

~*~ E-MAIL CONTENT: His replies are italicized and red.

Hi Tom, I'm so glad to hear that YA will be releasing most of the series that I recommended. I'm looking forward to "My Girl" because I have heard so much about the series. I'll make sure to let everyone know about your upcoming releases. I know that SBS aired the drama in widescreen HDTV (16:9) format. What are the chances of this series or other releases being in this format?

TOM: It all depends on what SBS gives us. I request the widescreen 16:9 versions all the time, but they, for some reason, can't provide them to the US. It's really weird. Part of the problem is that most Asian TV networks still don't take the US market seriously. It will take some more time. I will keep trying.

If you have time, could you answer these questions for me? 1) BONUS FEATURES. Why do YA Entertainment or YesAsia releases not contain the bonus features (i.e. NGs, interviews) such as those that would typically come with the boxset made in Korea? I know that many viewers, including myself, would really like to see the bonus footage. That's one of the most important aspects that we look for when buying drama boxsets. The majority have already seen the drama in its entirety and either want to collect it or see the extras.

TOM: I agree! I too want to see these bonus features. The DVD production companies in Korea have some advantages. They help to invest in all the bonus features, and they do not want to license them out to other companies (they want to keep a monopoly over this content). It's something I am working on with MBC and SBS to solve. We spent 2004 and 2005 proving to them that K-dramas can be popluar in the US. Now these kind of "extra requests" from YAE are being taken a little more seriously.

2) PACKAGING. This is not too major of a issue, but will YA Entertainment consider better designs for the boxsets in the future? With the latest release of dramas such as "My Kim Is Kim Sam Soon," I have noticed that the packaging has slightly improved from the very dull designs before (i.e. "Love Letter"). Many customers love the foldout design that Bitwin uses for its boxset. The only downside to that design is that the discs may dislodge from its original position during shipping.

TOM: Yes, we recently signed up a few new design studios to help us. "Kim Sam-Soon" and "Lawyers" were a lot better. For the actual packaging, we struggle with this internally. The fold-out concept that Bitwin uses is very nice (we used it for Dae Jang Geum, Stairway to Heaven, and our first version of Rooftop Room Cat), but it has a much higher customer return rate (discs falling out and getting damaged, the disc trays peeling off from the paper back, etc). And it is heavier (more expensive to ship around the country). The "disc case" strategy we used for "Sam-Soon" "Lawyers" and most of our newer releases is better for keeping the discs undamaged, more practical, and easier to handle/ship. Hmmmm. Thank you for this good feedback. I will pass it to our designers. So, is your personal preference the fold-outs?

3) ASPECT RATIO. Many of today's dramas are now available in HDTV (16:9) screen ratio. What steps are YA Entertainment doing to satisfy customers who would prefer to keep the original drama format (16:9) instead of cropping the images to fit the 4:3 ratio?

TOM: We are working on it. It takes a lot of time and effort for MBC and SBS to copy masters and provide us with HDTV 16:9 formatted master tapes. I'm working with them to make it happen now that the US market size is growing.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titles posted on KBS America

http://www.kbs-america.com/estore.asp

****Drama Titles****

Emperor of the Sea (sets 1-3) $89.99 each

Full House $95.00 each

Sorry, Love You $95.00 each

Sassy Girl, Chun-hyang $89.99 each

The Second Proposal $99.99 each

Lie $79.99 each

Winter Sonata $99.99 each

Loving You $75.00 each

Summer Fragrance $95.00 each

Autumn in My Heart $89.99 each

Beauty Beyond Expression $99.99 each

Sang Du, Let’s Go to School $85.00 each

Oh, Pilsung Bong Sung Young $85.00 each

Sales tax included in purchase price. Prices are subject to change.

Call or email now and the first 100 orders will receive a free CD “The Sounds of the Four Seasons Unveiled by Digital Magic”.

Guest luv dramas

I emailed KBS America and they said free shipping until December.

YA entertainment is releasing The Last Dance Is With Me in January!

Guest sunshine4ever

Dang, Fashion 70s is so expensive hic hic hic..I want to buy it but it's sooooo expensive *tears*

Anyway, anyone interested in What Happened in Bali, it will be out on October 12~

Guest xosandy

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

~ Lee Young Ae | Choi Min Sik

Release Date : November 30, 2005

Language : Korean

Rating : III

Package Weight : 150 g

YesAsia Catalog No. : 1004060258

April Snow

~ Son Yae Jin | Bae Yong Joon

Release Date : December 30, 2005

Subtitle : Not Yet Confirmed

Rating : III

Package Weight : 150 g

YesAsia Catalog No. : 1004069777

Creidesca - you got my id right :)

and for fans in Canada, they will deliver to Canada. I asked her about whether it will be a Director's Cut edition but she didn't reply about that.

엄춘화 wrote:

"Resurrection" will be available in months. We will have the schedule before our e-store launch.

Our e-store covers the US and Canada and we look forward to deliver our dramas to you.

Thank you very much for your interest,

Julie

Sandglass (SBS TV Series)(US Version)

Product Title : Sandglass (SBS TV Series)(US Version)

Region Code : (What is it?)

Picture Format : (What is it?)

Artist Name(s) : Choi Min Soo | Go Hyun Jung

Release Date : December 30, 2005

Subtitle : English

Package Weight : 500 g

Publisher : YA Entertainment

YesAsia Catalog No. : 1004076030

Price to be determined.

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-...-videos/code-k/

^ thanks for telling us Sam18g :)

i e-mailed Tom Larsen of YAEntertainment for the latest news. here's what's new:

- He's seen the design for Samsoon DVD this weekend. The DVDs will be ready on November 29 :D

- Re: Beautiful Days

"We were planning on doing Beautiful Days, but a few different versions have been showing up (including the version you mentioned at YesAsia.com). Unfortunately, we cannot get the rights (permission) for our version until Jan 2006, but by then I am afraid most fans will buy up these other versions. It might not be a good decision for us anymore. I'm still considering it. "

- "Something Happened in Bali" was released last week (with Ha Ji-Won and Jo In-Sung). In addition to YesAsia.com carrying it, it will also be available in selected Tower Records and Borders stores. "Spring Days" will be released in a few weeks.

- Other titles they're working on: "Save the Last Dance," "Lawyers," "Sandglass,"

엄춘화 wrote:

"Resurrection" will be available in months. We will have the schedule before our e-store launch.

Our e-store covers the US and Canada and we look forward to deliver our dramas to you.

Thank you very much for your interest,

Julie

i basically received the same reply, in different words... she mentioned that Resurrection will be available at the end of 2005. i asked a bunch of questions, and her e-mail response was pretty short and vague overall.

also... hoping someone can answer my inquiry. what i don't like about YA Entertainment releases is that they don't offer extras (NG clips, interviews, behind-the-scenes) like the director's cut versions from Bitwin. Does anyone know if they're planning on including those in the future?

i found Bitwin's version of My Name is Kim Sam Soon (region 3, no subs), and the product description includes a dvd w/ extras. wondering if yesasia's release will?

i basically received the same reply, in different words... she mentioned that Resurrection will be available at the end of 2005.

It really won't be likely avail till towards the end of 2005 because even word on the net from Resurrection fans is that the DVD will be out about sometime in late November.

Guest RulerOfYourWorld

Does anyone know what the subs are like for the SBS produced DVDs? I'm not talking about the YA Entertainment produced one(s)* but the subtitles for dramas such as Love Story in Harvard, Only You or Lovers in Paris. I'm really interested in some SBS titles (Happy Together and Only You) and was wondering what the english subs were like for them or SBS produced titles in general.

* On a similar note, I think the only SBS title that YA has done so far is Stairway to Heaven but it looks like they have more on the way. I like the MBC titles they have done but the thing with YA is that they're really barebones. They don't really have any extras like NGs, interviews or stuff you'd see on a lot of KBS DVDs or even the SBS produced titles. I really wish they did :(.

^ i agree... i'm especially hoping they'll consider including extras in the future. i've e-mailed YA and asked about it, but no reply yet.

I haven't bought any dramas from SBS just yet, but I have heard that the subs for Only You were pretty good... read it in some other forum... don't know personally, so perhaps it's not a good idea to listen to me. =/

I've also been contemplating on purchasing Fashion 70's... just that it's soooo expensive!

Does anyone know what the subs are like for the SBS produced DVDs? I'm not talking about the YA Entertainment produced one(s)* but the subtitles for dramas such as Love Story in Harvard, Only You or Lovers in Paris. I'm really interested in some SBS titles (Happy Together and Only You) and was wondering what the english subs were like for them or SBS produced titles in general.

* On a similar note, I think the only SBS title that YA has done so far is Stairway to Heaven but it looks like they have more on the way. I like the MBC titles they have done but the thing with YA is that they're really barebones. They don't really have any extras like NGs, interviews or stuff you'd see on a lot of KBS DVDs or even the SBS produced titles. I really wish they did :(.

Lovers in Paris had excellent subs. it only had a couple of misspelled words or so but other than that they're great. However, I've read in Yesasia that the Happy Together subs were horrible - which is very disappointing because I was looking forward to watching this with drama with eng subs :(

offtopic: KBS usually have great subs, like in Sweet 18, but i was a bit disappointed with Full House's though. anyone here got MISA? were they good subs?

^ i agree... i'm especially hoping they'll consider including extras in the future. i've e-mailed YA and asked about it, but no reply yet.

I haven't bought any dramas from SBS just yet, but I have heard that the subs for Only You were pretty good... read it in some other forum... don't know personally, so perhaps it's not a good idea to listen to me. =/

I've also been contemplating on purchasing Fashion 70's... just that it's soooo expensive!

i'm thinking about buying Fashion 70s too ... but yes it's sooooo expensive. *sighs*

Archived