Hwang Jung-Min 황정민 [Upcoming Movies: “12.12: The Day”, “Mission Cross”, “Veteran 2”, “Hope”]

Helena

January 11, 2012

Film's Mr. Serious turns to comedy

By Claire Lee (dyc@heraldm.com)

‘Dancing Queen’ star Hwang Jeong-min says he’s funny, laidback off-screen

2012011201001024300047151.jpg

It’s easy to mistake actor Hwang Jeong-min as serious.

His past roles on the silver screen have a lot to do with it. His recent (and impressive) filmography includes the Blue Dragon Award-winning crime thriller “Unjust” and last year’s conspiracy flick “Moby Richard.”

Yet sitting over his favorite chrysanthemum tea in Samcheong-dong, Seoul, Hwang does not resemble the passionate city desk reporter in “Moby richard simmons” nor the corrupt police detective assigned to fabricate a case in “Unjust.” Wearing a black and white striped sweater, Hwang is openly in awe of the “amazing taste” of his tea.

“I am a funny person off-screen, really,” the 41-year-old tells The Korea Herald. “I’ve been getting tired of those noir thrillers and crime dramas. And to many people’s surprise, I actually like watching romantic comedies, and wanted to do it for a long time. So my choice for the upcoming film says a lot.”

After a series of serious roles, Hwang chose a comedy for his first film of this year. Starring Hwang and popular singer and actress Uhm Jung-hwa, “Dancing Queen” tells the story of a married couple who rediscover their long-lost dreams. While Uhm plays a housewife who in secret tries out for a reality TV talent show in the hope of becoming a singer, Hwang stars as Uhm’s husband and a low-earning lawyer who ends up becoming a candidate for the Seoul mayoral election ― after becoming a local hero by accidentally saving the life of a drunken man on a subway platform.

Notably, both of the characters are named after Hwang and Uhm’s real names. Hwang says his goofy lawyer character, named Hwang Jeong-min, resembles him the most of all the characters he has played. “I think it had a lot to do with being called by my real name while acting,” says Hwang. “It would very often make me feel as if I were just being myself, instead of playing a role. And I think I really was just being myself in a lot of the scenes, especially the ones where I make silly arguments with Uhm.”

20120111000536_0.jpg

Hwang Jeong-min poses for a photo prior to an interview with The Korea Herald on Tuesday. (Lee Sang-sub/The Korea Herald)

Hwang’s character inevitably conjures up the real-life story of the current Seoul mayor and lawyer Park Won-soon, who was elected as an independent candidate last year. “Well, it was just a coincidence,” says Hwang. “The real election took place out of the blue after we finished our shooting. So we were just shocked by what was happening and how it connects to some parts of our film. But that was all, really.

“I had no hard time playing a political character,” he continues. “No one can really become a mayoral election candidate by doing what my character does in the film. There are just too many coincidences and luck. The movie is a fictional story which is supposed to be funny ― not political. I understood that clearly and just tried to be out there and have fun.”

Hwang, who acted throughout high school and majored in it at university, started off as a theater actor in the 1990s. He made his official film debut in 2000, in director Lim Soon-rye’s band drama “Waikiki Brothers.” He won the Best Actor Prize at Blue Dragon Awards in 2005 for his engrossing performance as the kindhearted farmer who falls in love with a HIV-positive prostitute, played by actress Jeon Do-yeon, in “You Are My Sunshine.”

In 2007, he played a troubled club CEO who falls in love with a woman with a terminal illness during his brief stay in a nursing home in “Happiness,” and starred as a private detective in 2009 crime thriller “Private Eye.” “When I choose the films that I want to work in, I always just go for the stories (not the characters),” he says. “The narrative is the most important. I believe solid narratives automatically produce engaging characters.”

Of all his roles, Hwang recalls his turn as a gay man in director Kim In-sik’s 2002 queer film “Road Movie” as the most challenging. “I won several best new actor prizes for the role,” Hwang says. “But I wasn’t proud of my performance at all. I felt like my acting was a lie, because I could not completely feel what the character was supposed to be feeling. It took me a while to gain confidence in my performance after that movie. Now, I try to have fun as much as can with acting.”

Hwang is known for having a separate bank account which he uses to save money to treat his fellow film crew members to food and drinks. “No movie can be made alone,” Hwang says. “It’s team work and everyone’s effort really counts. I don’t think of it as anything special. I do it privately and never really talk about it. I don’t know how it becomes public so easily.”

Just like his film character who aims to become a city mayor, Hwang says he, too, has a second dream ― which he’d like to keep a secret. “I’d be delighted if my viewers ask each other what their dreams are or were after watching ‘Dancing Queen,’” Hwang says. “We are very often only concerned with our own desire and needs. But it would be meaningful to ask your 70-year-old mother what she wanted to be as a young girl, or what your friends are dreaming of for the near future.”

“Dancing Queen” opens in theaters on Jan. 18.

20120111000644_0.jpg

Hwang stars as a sloppy city mayoral candidate in his upcoming comedy “Dancing Queen.” (CJ Entertainment)

20120108_1326027593_67715600_1.jpg

201201051020776703_1.jpg

January 12, 2012

Hwang Jung Min Eyes Variety Shows

Source: CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo l Nate

Hwang Jung Min wants to try his hand at more ′real′ variety shows.

Enews sat with Hwang for on January 11. When asked, “These days many actors appear in real variety shows. Don’t you want to do it?”, Hwang answered, “It would be good if I could be invited by KBS2’s 1 Night, 2 Days and Infinity Challenge. I think I could do well..."

The actor took on the role of human rights lawyer in his new movie, Dancing Queen. Interestingly enough, both Hwang Jung Min and Uhm Jung Hwa, his co-star, played characters named after...themselves. Perhaps because he wasn′t acting under a different name, Hwang said he played himself as he is, and also admitted to ad-libbing a few parts to bring in more laughter.

56615911.jpg

“I’m a cheerful person. I like to talk. I’m scheduled to shoot KBS2’s Happy Together 3 on January 14. Don’t you think I might be good at real variety shows as well as talk shows?” he said with a smile. “But no one invites me. I can’t go there by myself when nobody asks me to come.”

He continued, “I chose to be an actor to communicate with others. So through this movie (Dancing Queen), I came to realize that until now I have focused on bloody and dark X-rated movies. From now on, I’ll work for movies all families can watch together so that I can even communicate with elementary school students.”

Considering how funny the actor was on Family Outing (seriously, who can forget that curry song), we say, call the actor! Invite him!

But even if you can′t see him on those particular shows (for now), Dancing Queen starring Hwang Jung Min and Um Jung Hwa, a story about a Seoul mayor candidate’s wife debuting as sexy dance singer, is set to premiere on January 19.

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

F120112_003.jpg

January 13, 2012

Interview

Hwang Jung Min Talks Movie, Family, and Dreams

CJ E&M enewsWorld Lee, JinHo

What sort of impression has Hwang Jung Min left in viewers’ minds as an actor? A gruesome violence hidden behind an innocent looking face? Or a charisma composed of nasty human nature? His acting over the last 17 years left a strong impression on viewers’ minds. His role in the movie, You’re My Sunshine became a turning point in his career, but his image still leans toward the characters of R-rated movies.

Hwang Jung Min all of sudden announced he would choose to be in more family-oriented movies from now on. What could be the reason? Enews sat with the actor to ask why he has changed his mind.

25594123.jpg

Hwang Jung Min in Person

Maybe it′s because I met him after watching his movie, Dancing Queen, but Hwang exuded friendliness in a next-door neighbor sort-of way. He chatted with fans whom we came across during the interview and he responded with a smile to every request for an autograph.

He was eloquent and cheerful. The conversation went smoothly. But when I started to think‘Oh, I met Hwang Jung Min the individual, but not the actor,’ he remarked, “Don’t you know how I′ve been acting?” It was a sobering remark. I realized he was no pushover.

”Working with Um Jung Hwa? It is inexplicable.”

I asked how Hwang felt after watching his own movie. He said he had watched it with his wife, the musical actress Kim Mi Hye, so I wanted to know more about what he thought.

“It′s not like we′re rookies to acting. Of course I like it because it′s my movie. People say only good things about the movie. But an actor can′t be glad one moment and sad the next depending on what others say. Friends don′t say ‘Your acting was weird” in front of me. I’m just glad what I wanted to say was well delivered throughout the movie. My wife? She watched the movie free. Of course she liked it (laughs).”

Dancing Queen is already his third work with Uhm Jung Hwa. While making an appearance on KBS2’s Win Win, Uhm revealed, “Hwang Jung Min is my ideal type of man,” and Hwang responded, “She′s the actress who I worked the best with.” I asked him if he really felt that way.

“The harmony you see in the movie is real.It′s a feeling that can′t really be explained. Don’t you think that’s a big deal? I worked for 17 years in the film industry, but there are more actresses that I haven’t met than the ones that I’ve met. And I filmed the third film with Uhm. It′s like when you play tennis: if the opponent plays well, you can play well too. Our teamwork was like that.”

”Why is it always the Americans who protect the planet?”

At the press conference for the movie, he said, “I don’t know why I insisted on being in movies in which people fight and kill each other.” What he said was true. Most of his movies are R-rated, including A Bittersweet Life, Moby Richard, and The Unjust. Therfore, Hwang said he felt another kind of happiness through the family film, Dancing Queen.

“Since having a child, my mind has changed a lot. I want to appear on movies that the whole family can watch together, and be in movies that I can show to my kids. In that sense, Dancing Queen gave me a good opportunity to quench my thirst. And I want to be in sci-fi films too. A warrior with a beer belly. (laugh) Why is it always Americans who protect the planet?”

Certainly, Dancing Queen is going to be a meaningful film for Hwang Jung Min.

Hwang said since his character in the movie Dancing Queen has the same name as his, “A lot of my real personality is reflected in his character.” When asked how much he has in common with the character, Hwang answered, “More than 60 percent.” I was if he really is a good father and a husband in real life, just like in the film.

“Oh, I would be nothing if I wasn′t a good father and a good husband. I’m the total family man. (laugh) As I used my real name in the movie, my real personality is reflected a lot. Maybe, if the owner of the dry cleaner in my neighborhood watched this movie, he would be shocked, and said, “That’s my neighbor Mr. Hwang.”

Dancing Queen is a movie about dreams, and those who had to give up on their dreams for the sake of their family. After watching the movie with his wife, Hwang asked his wife, “What is your dream?” and his wife, Kim Mi Hye, just laughed. He said that was the first time he thought about her dream since their marriage. And just with that, this movie was sufficiently meaningful to him.

Photo credit: Kim Byung Kwan

January 10, 2012

CINE21.COM FEATURES “DANCING QUEEN” STARS UHM JUNG HWA AND HWANG JUNG MIN

Posted by goodange couchkimchi.com

Cine21.com conducted an interview with Uhm Jung Hwa and Hwang Jung Min, who are co-starring in Dancing Queen; the movie will be released on January 19th.

Check out their accompanying pictorial for the online movie blog.

dqueen2.jpg

dqueen3.jpg

January 19, 2012

Uhm Jung Hwa confesses that Lee Hyori is the only female singer she’s jealous of

by exceptlove allkpop.com

274805_1.jpg

Actress/singer Uhm Jung Hwa has praised Lee Hyori by stating, “She is the only female singer that I am jealous of.”

Uhm Jung Hwa will be appearing as a guest on the upcoming episode of ‘Happy Together‘ along with Hwang Jung Min. During the filming, Uhm Jung Hwa revealed, “Lee Hyori is the only female singer that I am jealous of. I’ve been close friends with her ever since her Fin.K.L days. Not only is she really charismatic and pretty on stage, but a lot of men, Hwang Jung Min included, like her so much.”

At this time, a surprise call was made to Lee Hyori and her voice filled the studio. Reportedly, Hwang Jung Min and the rest of the male cast members couldn’t hold back their excitement upon hearing her voice.

Hilariously, Hwang Jung Min (a longtime Lee Hyori fan), found that he couldn’t utter a word and that his face had turned completely red. With a flash of courage, he unexpectedly and abruptly confessed, “I love you“, causing much laughter in the studio.

Source + Photo: TV Report via Nate

January 18, 2012

Hwang Jung Min Wants MC Yoo Jae Suk to Take His Mask Off

by: perfect on soompi.com

cb269bedb9ca55eedd350af08c0ed339_large.jpg

Movie star Hwang Jung Min told Nation’s MC, Yoo Jae Suk, that he wishes he (MC Yoo) would take his mask off.

Yoo Jae Suk is famous for being well-mannered and polite to everyone he meets so it is surprising to hear someone call his good manners a "mask."

6f0538c2a24e42bf5c88a64451e56d4b_large.jpg

The production team for KBS “Happy Together Season 3” reports that during the recording on January 19 (Korea Time), Hwang Jung Min told the MC’s, “Yoo Jae Suk always has this polite and respectful image and so I wish he would take his mask off.”

The other guests, who were present during the recording, were stunned at his remarks and asked if Yoo Jae Suk acted differently when they met in private. Hwang Jung Min answered, “Not really, but I think even Yoo Jae Suk would dream of letting loose for just one day.” Hwang Jung Min also admitted that he sometimes wishes that he could disappear for six months without telling anyone.

Yoo Jae Suk, too, revealed to the guests about a time he saw Hwang Jung Min outside of the broadcasting stations. He said, “During Chuseok (also known as ‘Korean Thanksgiving’), Hwang Jung Min packed Thanksgiving food and went to Kim Jae Dong’s house.” When the other MC’s asked how he knew that, Yoo Jae Suk confessed, “When I heard Hwang Jung Min was there, I also went over to Kim Jae Dong’s house during Harvest Festivals” bringing laughter to the studio.

Furthermore, during the recording, Hwang Jung Min told about a time when he got in a fight with a citizen (a term for "non-celebrity") all because of Kim Jae Dong’s face… causing everyone to burst out in laughter.

January 19, 2012

Dancing Queen

Source: koreatimes.co.kr

01201002.jpg

Jung-min (Hwang Jung-min) becomes a candidate for Seoul mayor. Jung-hwa (Uhm Jung-hwa) is his wife who finds a once in a lifetime opportunity to become a singer. However, Jung-min's decision to run for a mayor endangers her dual life as a singer and wife of a politician. Directed by Lee Suk-hun. Runs 124 minutes. Rated 12 and over. In Korean.

January 20, 2012

Hwang Jung Min to Lee Hyori "I Love You"

by: animalcrackers on soompi.com

b6ea19300ece5f50bc81f0fcb16aa0f9_large.jpg

Actor Hwang Jung Min has made a surprise proposal of love to singer Lee Hyori!

On the January 19 episode of KBS's "Happy Together 3," Hwang Jung Min was connected to Lee Hyori by phone courtesy of fellow guest and "Dancing Queen" co-star Um Jung Hwa as a surprise special guest on the show. Stunned by the revelation that he would be talking to her, he couldn't hide his surprise and eager smile.

Um Jung Hwa had praised Lee Hyori by saying, "She's really pretty on stage so she's one of the few female artists that I'm envious of, Hwang Jung Min actually really likes her."

Once Lee Hyori's voice was heard in the studio, the male guests weren't able to contain their excitement. Hwang Jung Min immediately began to blush and had trouble finding the right words to say. Eventually, he hilariously blurted out, "I love you!"

The studio laughed at his shy confession before Lee Hyori went on to return the praise Um Jung Hwa had showered her with, saying, "She's an easy-going senior, but I wish she'd fix that habit of acting so cute!"

Um Jung Hwa wittily replied back, "And you fix that habit of considering me easy-going!"

596f27e3cfeb936fa27d620966392465_large.jpg

January 20, 2012

"Dancing Queen" Reaches #1 on Box Office in Two Days

by: lee23j on soompi.com

On January 20, Uhm Jung Hwa and Hwang Jung Min's new movie, "Dancing Queen," was ranked at #1 on Korea's box office. The movie gathered 45,779 people on the opening day and 63,884 on the second day according to Korean Film Council's Box Office database.

"Dancing Queen" is off to a great start and expecting to continue its streak as Lunar New Year's Holiday is beginning this weekend. The film has attracted the most viewers of all Korean films that opened on January 18, including "Unbowed," "Pace Maker," and "Never Ending Story."

Following "Dancing Queen" on Box Office is "Journey 2: the Mysterious Island," starring Dwayne Johnson. "Journey 2" opened a day later than "Dancing Queen," attracting 46,223 people. In third place of this week's Box Office is "Unbowed," with 44,976 viewers. "Puss in Boots" is ranked 4th with 47,744 viewers. Following "Puss in Boots" are "Pace Maker" and "Never Ending Story" with 25,792 and 23,020 viewers each.

January 21, 2012

Actor Hwang Jung Min tells Yoo Jae Suk to 'take off your mask and reveal your true self'

by jeska122 allkpop.com

1327040181_261981.jpg

On the latest episode of KBS‘s ‘Happy Together 3‘, the show invited actors Hwang Jung Min and Uhm Jung Hwa, the main leads for the movie ‘Dancing Queen‘.

During this episode, Park Mi Sun asks Hwang Jung Min, “Is there anything you want to say to Yoo Jae Suk?” and Hwang Jung Min replied, “Yoo Jae Suk is a man who lives with high morals. It’s a great thing to be such a good person, but I wish he would take off his mask [to reveal his true self].”

After hearing this, the other MC’s couldn’t hold back their expressions of surprise. “Why do you say that? Does he act differently when the cameras aren’t around?“, they asked. In response, Hwang Jung Min said, “No, he doesn’t, but don’t you want to deviate from the norm just for once?”

Yoo Jae Suk replied, “Deviate? I’m not sure…” He then asked Hwang Jung Min, “How would you deviate from the norm?“, to which Hwang Jung Min immediately answered, “I want to disappear for six months without telling anyone where I am” – surprising those on set with his decisive answer.

Source and Image : TV Daily

January 25, 2012

Movie 'Dancing Queen' Dominates Holiday Box Office

CJ E&M enewsWorld Oh, MiJung

The film Dancing Queen starring Hwang Jung Min and Uhm Jung Hwa, ranked no.1 at the holiday season box office and is quickly approaching the one million mark.

According to the data released by the Korean Film Council’s Compiled Ticket Computer Network on January 24, the movie drew 274,032 moviegoers to theaters on January 23, bringing the total number of audience members to 906,860.

The movie came in second on its first day of January 18, and has held onto the first spot since January 19.

The movie Unbowed has also become a sensation. Having come in third on its first day (January 18), the film has remained in second since January 20. The accumulated number of audience stood at 672,207 as of January 23.

Photo credit: Dancing Queen

Reach reporter Oh MiJung on Twitter @isyutar!