[Mainland Chinese Drama 2023] Warm on a Cold Night 九霄寒夜暖

SC2019

6 hours ago, peacelily said:

They have great chemistry IMO. The romance is slowburn but I actually love that. 

Hi, I just finished the drama, and can't agree more). The leads' relarionship progressed really natural. Can't say the drama is a masterpiece, but very nice and easy  to watch. The costumes, the special effects - everything was of a really good quality.

And Bi Wenjun... where have you been all my life?? 

Hehe, he is initially a boyband member who turned to acting). I first noticed him in a 2020 In A Class Of Her Own, and his most recent drama was A Silence Of The Monsters. 

he's so freaking tall

Yep, he is 187cm, and with Li Yi Tong being smth around 165cm he looks even toller))).

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 1:59 AM, leo2020 said:

Hi, I just finished the drama, and can't agree more). The leads' relarionship progressed really natural. Can't say the drama is a masterpiece, but very nice and easy  to watch. The costumes, the special effects - everything was of a really good quality.

I just finished the drama too.  And I agree, it's not a big budget production but it's definitely a gem in its class!  I liked the styling (especially Han Zheng/Bi Wenjun's haha) and the fight scenes were very well choreographed.  The mythical Qi people and their powers allowed for some interesting plot points and twists that's not typically seen in most dramas (other than xianxia where anything goes, which I'm not a huge fan of).  The supporting cast was all great too, including probably the nicest/sweetest 2nd male lead I've ever seen.

It's not perfect by any means but I truly enjoyed the romance, which to me makes up for a lot of other flaws.  I get the feeling like it's not very popular, which is a shame because more people should be exposed to Han Zheng's hotness :D

On 3/21/2023 at 1:59 AM, leo2020 said:

I first noticed him in a 2020 In A Class Of Her Own, and his most recent drama was A Silence Of The Monsters.

I'm considering giving one of his other dramas a try, but not sure which yet.  And tbh, I kind of prefer his visuals here over what I've seen of his modern dramas. 

On 3/25/2023 at 11:51 PM, Don Yu said:

Is this series better later on, or it is same as the beginning episodes?

I am not a big fan of the beginning ones.

I picked up this drama expecting it to be fluffy and lighthearted with romance, mystery and investigations. But pleasantly surprised that it’s not only good and entertaining but also well made for a drama with a limited budget.  
Of course OTP chemistry is fantastic like full blown fireworks.  And I’ve never seen such an adorable SML.
There are many scenes, big and small, which are well choreographed.

(google trans)

"Finished now #WarmOnAColdNight And the c-drama surprised me very positively! The characters and the investigation plot I liked a lot. Couple with a lot of chemistry, united, without frills, fun it was very pleasant to spend time with them. And the best: HAPPY ending"

Spoiler

prince Jun

Jun & Han

Spoiler

the fighting scene

• Like 2

Enjoyable show indeed. Especially the beginning. The Qi folks felt like a different, intriguing species. Premise was interesting. Characters were likable. The rugged male lead was a refreshing change.

To me the show deteriorated somewhat as it went along. It never made sense to me that the powerful Qi folks would subject themselves to discrimination or that they'd have to toil for a living in Qian land. I didn't like the way the male lead was ready to drop his responsibilities just to be with the female lead. 

That Han and Muyan didn’t go all out in their fight against each other was a relief to me - I liked that their friendship remained essentially intact. Every fight in the show was good. The speed of the Qi folks was fun fun fun. 

Next, Pledge of Allegiance. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just finished this one. Even though it felt uneven and illogical in places, I ended up finding it fun. On the negative side, it had a lot of overacting, airheaded FL, and villainous mustache-twirling--as well as sometimes complete gaps of logic--that I've often seen in this genre. Regardless whether it's fantasy or reality, I prefer more emotional solidity in my stories. But on the plus side, I thought the leads made a good team and had good chemistry together. FL got a bit less airheaded as it went on, which helped, and of course it's always fun to see the haughty, mean ML soften up and change his ways. They were quite adorable by the end. The general and the crown prince had some really excellent chemistry, too--good acting there. I appreciated the fact that they tried to address the different layers and ways that racism operates, and how fear and villainizing those who are "other" can make it hard even when you WANT to solve this problem. And although the godfather was a comic relief sort of character that was a bit over the top,  I was surprised that

Spoiler

his death felt so emotional to me.

One more thing that I LOVED was the sets. Loved the colors, the buildings, just everything they constructed for this drama. Visually just lovely to look at.

I'd check out another drama with these actors.