[Drama 2024] Frankly Speaking/No Secret, 비밀은 없어

larus

by Lily Alice, April 17, 2024
2 0

Frankly Speaking unveiled another teaser, giving a sneak peek of the character dynamics of Go Kyung Pyo, Kang Han Na, and Joo Jong Hyuk. 

Frankly Speaking tells the story of Song Ki Baek (Go Kyung Pyo), an announcer, who is unexpectedly afflicted with a disease that doesn't let him control the words coming from his mouth. Intrigued by Song's manner of speech, the passionate TV variety show writer On Woo Joo (Kang Han Na) invites him to her variety show.

The teaser commences with showing Song Ki Baek (Go Kyung Pyo), lying unconscious after accidentally suffering an electric shock.  

The next scene shows him sitting at a news desk giving his sincere promise in his closing statement, "I will not lie and speak honestly and sincerely." Little did he know that he would be taking his words quite literally. 

It all started with the variety show writer On Woo Joo (Kang Han Na) who wanted "to cast Ki Baek." She makes Ki Baek, who has worked diligently for 8 years to become a main anchor, reluctantly appear on a variety show, only for him to suffer an electric shock accident on set. 

But the real problem arises after the incident. Ki Baek, who never said "No," all of a sudden starts shouting, "Don't do it, please!" and bombarding people with brutally honest truths, like the time when he says to his boss, "Don't you know your feet smell really bad?" Ki Baek himself is as bewildered as anyone. So, he even shouts at Woo Joo to go away.

Xdb2Wd_2f.png

Woo Joo also becomes curious if one's personality can change after getting electrocuted.

Then comes into the picture Woo Joo's ex, Kim Jung Heon (Joo Jong Hyuk).

Kim Jung Heon, the nation's son-in-law who is a favorite of mothers nationwide, has gained success in the broadcasting industry as a trot singer. He attends an awards ceremony sporting a stylish tuxedo, where he coincidentally meets Woo Joo and says, "Long time no see. It's been eight years." Kim Jung Heon worked tirelessly in the broadcasting industry for one goal: to meet Woo Joo again.

Towards the teaser's end, Ki Baek, who is unable to control his tongue, even puts tape over his mouth and worries, "Will I be able to do the news in this state?" while Woo Joo cheers him on, saying, "Your true self will definitely be well-received." 

Frankly Speaking will premiere on May 1. The K-drama will be available to stream on Netflix. Watch the teaser here

https://mydramalist.com/article/go-kyung-pyo-is-flustered-by-his-own-way-of-speaking-in-frankly-speaking

Watch: Go Kyung Pyo And Joo Jong Hyuk Are Rivals For Kang Han Na's Affections In "Frankly Speaking" Teaser

Apr 17, 2024
by E Cha

JTBC has released a new teaser for its upcoming drama “Frankly Speaking” (previously known as “No Secrets”)!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor who lives strictly by the rules and has worked hard to build up a clean image. However, Song Ki Baek’s life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying.

The newly released teaser starts with Song Ki Baek unconscious on the ground after his life-changing accident. When he comes to, Song Ki Baek returns to his job as a news anchor and declares, “With sincerity and integrity, I will not lie.” That declaration proves to be truer than Song Ki Baek would like: after his accident, he becomes physically unable to lie or say anything he doesn’t truly mean.

Song Ki Baek also catches the eye of On Woo Ju (played by Kang Han Na), a passionate variety show writer who is willing to do anything to make a program entertaining. Announcing that she wants to cast Song Ki Baek for a program, On Woo Ju says, “He’s perfect for variety shows.” She then asks in confusion, “Are there instances where someone’s personality suddenly changes after being electrocuted?”

Unable to stop himself from blurting out whatever he’s thinking, Song Ki Baek boldly tells his boss, “Don’t you know your feet smell bad?” He also can’t stop himself from confessing his growing feelings for On Woo Ju, saying, “When I see your face in front of me, I get this feeling, and it gets better.”

However, Song Ki Baek soon faces a romantic rival in the form of On Woo Ju’s ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon (Joo Jong Hyuk), a popular trot singer who is highly sought-after in the variety show sphere. “It’s been a long time,” Kim Jung Heon says to On Woo Ju. “This is our first time seeing each other in eight years.”

Kang Hanna sets her sights on a Frankly Speaking Go Kyung-pyo

by solstices

Another teaser is out for JTBC’s romantic comedy Frankly Speaking, showcasing our heroine’s efforts to turn an excessively blunt newscaster into a variety star. Filled with petty remarks and physical antics, the show is unabashedly committing to the wacky embarrassment of its premise.

When the newscaster Song Ki-baek — played by Go Kyung-pyo (D.P. 2) — is struck with an accidental electrocution, he’s left with a peculiar affliction unlike any other. Every time he opens his mouth, he can’t stop his candid thoughts from spilling past his lips. It certainly gives new meaning to his newscaster’s creed of conveying only the truth with the utmost integrity, except his brutal honesty also winds up violating social etiquette more often than not.

Luckily for Ki-baek, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Fascinated by his rare condition, the variety writer Ohn Woo-joo — played by Kang Hanna (Red Heart) — sets her sights on his comedy potential. “I want to cast Ki-baek,” she declares, and the next thing he knows, he’s participating in a game of dodgeball with cameras all around the court. Next up is an outdoor game of soccer, which naturally ends with Woo-joo falling on top of Ki-baek.

Between calling out foot odor and screaming for someone to disappear, the electrocution has transformed Ki-baek into a grumpy Grinch. Woo-joo can’t help but wonder if an electric shock can really alter someone’s personality to such an extent, and she eventually admits that she can’t get him off her mind. It’s not hard to see why — while Ki-baek’s affliction often has him stepping on others’ toes, it also spurs him towards earnest confessions. “When I see your face, everything feels better,” he admits to Woo-joo.

Ki-baek’s prickly outbursts may push others away from him, but Woo-joo has faith that his genuine self will appeal to the viewers. She’s banking on him to rescue her program’s floundering ratings, except it turns out she may have another option. Eight years after they last spoke, Woo-joo crosses paths with her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung-heon — played by Joo Jong-hyuk (Extraordinary Attorney Woo) — who’s earned himself the title of the nation’s son-in-law with his trot singer fame and variety prowess. He doesn’t seem to have gotten over her, but Woo-joo’s heart is already leaning elsewhere. “Let’s give it a shot,” Ki-baek suggests, and whether he’s referring to the variety program or a new romance, Woo-joo seems inclined to agree.

Helmed by PD Jang Ji-yeon (Off the Course) and written by Choi Kyung-seon, Frankly Speaking premieres on May 1.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/kang-hanna-sets-her-sights-on-a-frankly-speaking-go-kyung-pyo/

Kwon Yool To Make Cameo In Go Kyung Pyo And Kang Han Na's New Rom-Com "Frankly Speaking"

Apr 26, 2024
by E Cha

JTBC’s upcoming drama “Frankly Speaking” has shared a sneak peek of Kwon Yool’s cameo!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor who lives strictly by the rules and has worked hard to build up a clean image. However, Song Ki Baek’s life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying.

Kang Han Na will star as On Woo Ju, a passionate variety show writer who is willing to do anything to make a program entertaining, while Joo Jong Hyuk will play her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon, a popular trot singer.

Kwon Yool will be making a special appearance in the drama as neurosurgeon Kim Joo Ho. In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming first episode, Kim Joo Ho and On Woo Ju sit down to chat over a cup of coffee.

With the drama already having teased a love triangle between On Woo Ju, Song Ki Baek, and Kim Jung Heon, it remains to be seen how the character of Kim Joo Ho will fit in to the story—and what kind of relationship he has with On Woo Ju.

More

20240428023043_Kang-Han-Na-Go-Kyung-Pyo-

Go Kyung Pyo Gets Between Kang Han Na And Her Ex Joo Jong Hyuk In New Rom-Com "Frankly Speaking"

Apr 28, 2024
by E Cha

JTBC’s upcoming drama “Frankly Speaking” has unveiled a new poster of its three leads!

“Frankly Speaking” is a romantic comedy starring Go Kyung Pyo as Song Ki Baek, a rising news anchor who lives strictly by the rules and has worked hard to build up a clean image. However, Song Ki Baek’s life takes a (literally) shocking turn when he is electrocuted in an accident, leading him to develop a strange condition that prevents him from lying.

Kang Han Na will star as On Woo Ju, a passionate variety show writer who is willing to do anything to make a program entertaining, while Joo Jong Hyuk will play her ex-boyfriend Kim Jung Heon, a popular trot singer.

When On Woo Ju, whose program is at risk of being cancelled, sees the potential for variety show gold in the brutally honest Song Ki Baek, she makes up her mind to cast him so she can boost her viewership ratings. The newly released poster captures On Woo Ju’s determination through the glint in her eye, while Song Ki Baek appears to be stuffing his own mouth with confetti in a desperate attempt to stop himself from blurting out his true feelings.

Meanwhile, Kim Jung Heon will spark Song Ki Baek’s jealousy by attempting to re-enter On Woo Ju’s life. Although Kim Jung Heon is highly sought-after in the variety show sphere, as he manages to make every program he appears on an instant hit, On Woo Ju chooses to cast Song Ki Baek instead of him because of their history. Not only is Kim Jung Heon her ex-boyfriend, but he is also the very reason she swore off dating at work.

In the poster, Kim Jung Heon passionately sings into a mic in an attempt to get back into On Woo Ju’s good graces—but newcomer Song Ki Baek comes between the two exes.

Frankly-Speaking-9.jpg

“The comic chemistry between this trio will explode from the very first episode on May 1,” said the drama’s production team. “We will do our utmost to prepare a drama that can live up to the expectations of viewers hoping for big laughs, so please show lots of interest.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1657734wpp/go-kyung-pyo-gets-between-kang-han-na-and-her-ex-joo-jong-hyuk-in-new-rom-com-frankly-speaking

News bites: April 27, 2024

by tccolb

6RNHBXX5MV5V6B44A6LKBFWKZ4.jpg

JTBC’s rom-com Frankly Speaking released a new highlights reel ahead of next week’s premiere, with our announcer hero Go Kyung-pyo (D.P. 2) spilling nothing but the truth. Together with Kang Hanna (Red Heart) and Joo Jong-hyuk (Extraordinary Attorney Woo), the hijinks begin on May 1 in the Wednesday-Thursday slot. [Newsen]

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/news-bites-april-27-2024/

Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na’s Frankly Speaking: Release date, time, where to watch, plot, and more

Frandkly Speaking starring Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na is set to release soon. Read on for details about the plot, where to watch and more

339867031_frankly-speaking_202404.jpg

Jang Ji Yeon, who previously created the show, Nevertheless, is back with a brand new South Korean drama series titled Frankly Speaking. Written by Jang Ji Yeon, the show stars Go Kyung Pyo and Kang Han Na in the lead roles. The story follows a news reporter whose life turns upside down after contracting a rare medical condition. 

The series will premiere on May 1, 2024, and will air every Wednesday and Thursday at 20:50 KST. Scheduled for 12 episodes, the airing time will differ from region to region.

The K-drama will premiere via the JTBC network in South Korea. It will also be available to stream through Netflix across various regions.

The show will mainly focus on the comedic aspect, with romantic elements, as the central couple gradually falls for each other.

The show's plot is extremely unique and deals with certain societal themes. Song Ki Baek, the character around which the story revolves, is a 33-year-old single man who is a news announcer working at Ultra FM. He is characterized by his soft-spoken demeanor and good manners. However, he suddenly develops a disorder after getting electrocuted one day that completely flips his life around. 

The condition forces him to say things without a second thought, which puts him in complicated situations. The sudden behavioral change brings a lot of changes in his life and slowly makes it difficult for him as it is completely opposite to his actual personality.

One day, he meets On Woo Ju, a variety show writer. She faces constant failures due to mental blocks, and her desperation to succeed increases. When she finds out Song Ki Baek’s rare condition, a light bulb goes off inside her head and she decides to star him in a variety show. However, the reality show is not an ordinary show but a love show which features romantic adventures. 

As Song Ki Baek struggles to maintain peace in his life, unknowingly  On Woo Ju becomes a support system. Eventually, both the characters start to grow closer to each other and develop deep feelings. It will be interesting to witness how the story unfolds and in which direction their love goes. 

https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/go-kyung-pyo-and-kang-han-nas-frankly-speaking-release-date-time-where-to-watch-plot-and-more-1300445

by Lily Alice, April 30, 2024
1 1

On April 30, a press conference for Frankly Speaking was held in Guro-gu, Seoul. It was attended by director Jang Ji Yeon and actors Go Kyung PyoKang Han Na, and Joo Jong Hyuk.

Frankly Speaking tells the story of Song Ki Baek (Go Kyung Pyo), an announcer, who unexpectedly gets afflicted with a disease that doesn't let him control the words coming from his mouth. As a result, he becomes a brutally honest announcer, which brings an amusing set of challenges for him. 

At the press conference, actor Go Kyung Pyo came with neatly trimmed hair.

Host Park Kyung Rim, remarked, "You cut your hair," to which the actor replied, "Since this is an official event for the drama and you've all taken the time to come, I wanted to show you my pretty side, so I cut the hair I've been growing for six months."

https://i.mydramalist.com/WPBqNO_2f.png

https://i.mydramalist.com/Z8oX3J_2f.png

Previously, Go Kyung Pyo had mentioned the reason for his long hair, saying, "Actors need to grow their hair when they don't have a project. Then they have to cut it accordingly to fit the next role," and added, "But I really wanted to try the long hair." "Since I don't have another project (I cut it)," and "I'm doing a lot of variety shows these days." 

In the K-drama Song Ki Baek (Go Kyung Pyo) is an anchor who can only speak the truth, or rather, is compelled to speak only the truth. This is because he is unable to lie after suffering an electric shock, and can no longer hide his thoughts.  

Go Kyung Pyo promises non-stop laughter as he portrays a character facing the worst dilemma of his life.  Talking about the difference between his comedy acting in previous works and the upcoming drama, Go Kyung Pyo stated, "I have done various comic genres and you will be able to perceive this performance as a collection of the know-how I gained from them." He added, "Aren't sitcoms rare these days? It's a drama that can be enjoyed without feeling weary, as it not only evokes empathy but also provides comfort." 

Joo Jong Hyuk, who said Go Kyung Pyo reminded him of Jim Carrey, praised his versatility in showing various facial expressions, saying, "He uses his facial muscles very freely, and his expressions are really diverse." 

Actress Kang Han Na exudes passion and positivity in her role as On Woo Joo. She recalled, "I thought of real variety show writers who appeared. They kindly taught me without losing their radiant energy. I tried to express that a lot."  

Go Kyung Pyo called Kang Han Na a multi-vitamin-like actor. He said, "She is an actor who conveys the ambience and energy of the scene. Thanks to her, my acting could shine even more." 

https://i.mydramalist.com/vXn6dp_2f.png

Joo Jong Hyuk takes on the role of Kim Jung Heon, a trot singer beloved by the nation. The actor introduced him as a character with loneliness and a sense of longing beneath his glamorous appearance. He commented, "I tried to clearly distinguish between [his] on-stage and off-stage [versions]. He is bright and full of energy professionally, but I tried to express a lonely and depressed character when he is not on stage." 

Joo Jong Hyuk added that he studied the character by referring to singer Young Tak. He said, "Since the character is the runner-up in the trot contest, I actually took a lot of trot lessons. I referred to singer Young Tak a lot. I studied his gestures and expressions. Since I've never done it before, I hypnotized myself into thinking, 'I'm cool.'"  

https://mydramalist.com/article/go-kyung-pyo-kang-han-na-joo-jong-hyuk-share-insights-into-their-characters-from-frankly-speaking

Premiere Watch: Frankly Speaking

by missvictrix

PYH2024043014760000500_P4.jpg

Time slot: Wednesday-Thursday
Broadcaster: JTBC
Genre: Rom-com
Episode count: 12
Global streamer: Netflix

Reasons to watch: In another premise that only dramaland could dream up, spiffy newscaster Go Kyung-pyo gets electrocuted in some way and loses all socials filters. Bad on a regular day, but especially bad if you’re a news anchor. The hijinks ensue when PD Kang Hanna tries to get him on her variety show. And of course, there’s a love triangle in the springtime air with Joo Jong-hyuk (on his career rise) playing a popular trot singer (this I’m dying to see). All in all, if the drama leans into the ridiculous and the chemistry is right, it could be laugh-out-loud funny.

TL;DR: Ladies and gentlemen, we finally have a Wednesday-Thursday drama again!

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/04/premiere-watch-frankly-speaking/

• partyon changed the title to [Current Drama 2024] Frankly Speaking/No Secret, 비밀은 없어- Go Kyung Pyo & Kang Ha Na-Wed& Thu

@larus @4evrkdrama @sweetroad Caught the first episode of Frankly Speaking and I was pleasantly surprised. I noticed that I kept smiling and caught myself laughing out loud several times. :D

Whoever decided to cast Go Kyung Po in the role of a news anchor with a people pleasing mentality was genius. He is extremely good at emoting his uncomfort and even disdain when people pushed him to help and were using him. Once he got the electric shock and unleashed all his pent up frustration, his facial expressions took an even funnier turn and I couldn't stop laughing.

Kang Ha Na is also doing well so far, but Go Kyung Po is definitely the star of the show right now.

Anyone care to guess why he is living alone in that nice apartment? And why do you think he cut off contact with his family?

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

10 hours ago, partyon said:

Anyone care to guess why he is living alone in that nice apartment? And why do you think he cut off contact with his family?

I liked the first episode too. Once again a kdrama made a toilet joke. Not surprising. I smiled in a couple of scenes too. The dodgeball king! That idol deserved the hits. 😁  Go Kyung Po is the star of this show but we all knew he will play the central character. 

I suspect he is extranged from his family but I hope he is not. It is obvious that he wants to succeed without rich family connections and he has talent on his own but he faces prejudices anyway. When he heard the comments of his colleagues he was affected but he refrained as he did in many cases when he was treated unfairly. I can`t wait to see how he can`t lie at all after the electric shock accident.  It still will not be easier for him in the organization but I am rooting for him. 😀

• Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

His dodgeball moves against PN were hilarious. That brat totally deserved it.

And I am one of those who surprisingly enjoyed the first episode. Didn't realize Go Kyung-pyo can actually pull off comedy. I am so going to enjoy him being brutally honest because of the accident.🤣

I wonder if that apartment is his or is it a fringe benefit from being the boss' favorite?🤔

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

@scribbledjunkie @larus Ep 2 was fun but it definitely brought a more serious tone to the series.

I couldn't stop laughing when PN's fangirls went after Song Ki Baek :D

The award show was extremely awkward.

Go Kyung Po is extremely good at showing a range of emotions with just his face. He emotes super well. His bewildered face when he just lets the truth come out is gold. Still you can see his despair at the new situation, his anger when people use him, his disappointment at his family whom he feels is mooching off him, etc. I never knew he had such a range.

@4evrkdrama am gonna adopt him as my pseudo oppa!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

His facial expressions remind me of the guy from Dr. Cha. I didn't know he had such skills, though it was a bit shown at Jealousy Incarnate.

I like that he isn't picking the cold ML type of guy.

His entire life seems to be built upon lies, which is why he screams it's all lies the first time he got zapped. Minus point for FL who saw the guy fall down and unhealthy and still went ahead with her schedule.

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, agenth said:

His facial expressions remind me of the guy from Dr. Cha. I didn't know he had such skills, though it was a bit shown at Jealousy Incarnate.

I remember seeing Go Kyung Po for the first time back when Naeil's Cantabile aired in 2014, and I liked him already back then. He stood out in his blonde hair.

3oY7Wf.jpg

After that I haven't really watched a drama with him as the ML, but I did run into him while watching D.P. and D.P. season 2. Dude was so scary in those dramas. He plays a very convincing bad guy as well.

@agenth He does remind me of hubby in Doctor Cha with his funny faces. But I gotta give accolade for the fact that he is showing his range of emotions through his face, not just for the sake of looking funny, but actually conveying what his character is feeling.

Song Ki Baek's life is based on lies and he's never been able to show his true feelings to anyone, not even to himself I suspect. But he has these microexpressions on his face of his inner thoughts that he can't hide. Now that he is spewing out whatever comes to his mind, the microexpressions are becoming macroexpressions. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, partyon said:

After that I haven't really watched a drama with him as the ML, but I did run into him while watching D.P. and D.P. season 2. Dude was so scary in those dramas. He plays a very convincing bad guy as well.

I watched him in a few dramas (Naeil's Cantabile, Reply 1988, Jealousy Incarnate,  Chicago Typewriter) but it is the first time I see him in the first male role.

We know now that Song Ki Baek is not from a rich family but I don`t know why  he had to fake his background. Just to avance his career? But I don`t see how it is relevant his background for his profession. It is funny how what his life had to lie but now he can`t. It reminds me of Jim Carrey, Liar Liar where he has a lawyer who built his entire career on lying.  Just like him, Ki Baek has a chance to change his life for the better. Song Ki Baek is a lonely guy. He can`t be with his family because he has to save the appearences of a rich guy and his family, while loved him in a way, is taking him as a source of income. He is estranged from his family and is trapped in his lies. 

He has talent to be an announcer and when he will stop searching for reassurance from his boss, or others, and gain his self confidence back, he will succeed.

• Blob 1