[Drama 2023] Lies Hidden in My Garden, 마당이 있는 집

larus

Here are the ratings for Episode 2 :).

“My Perfect Stranger” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet

“My Perfect Stranger” Ends On Its Highest Ratings Yet

Finally, ENA’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Lies Hidden in My Garden” achieved an average nationwide rating of 1.2 percent, maintaining the same score as its previous episode’s rating.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1595335wpp/my-perfect-stranger-ends-on-its-highest-ratings-yet

Meanwhile, after premiering with a nationwide rating of 1.19%, Kim Tae Hee and Im Ji Yeon's Lies Hidden in My Garden rose to a viewership of 1.24% for its second episode. The average rating of the ENA mystery drama for its premiere week is 1.21%. Alongside Kim Tae Hee and Im Ji Yeon, Lies Hidden in My Garden also casts Kim Sung Oh, and Choi Jae Rim

jQjx8y_2f.png

When and where to watch the K-drama Lies Hidden in My Garden?

Episode 3 of Lies Hidden in My Garden will air on June 26 (Monday). The K-drama is available to stream on Prime Video and Viki.

https://mydramalist.com/article/kim-dong-wook-and-jin-ki-joo-s-my-perfect-stranger-concludes-with-its-highest-rating-of-all-time

by Hazel Jung, June 22, 2023
2 1

BdrDdl_2f.jpg

Actress Kim Tae Hee has shed the "acting controversy" label that followed her since her debut by showcasing subtle emotional acting in her first thriller; the original Genie TV drama Lies Hidden in My Garden.

The new series marks Kim Tae Hee's return to the small screen after three years since Hi Bye, Mama! The distinguishing factor from her previous works will be the thriller genre. In the drama, Kim Tae Hee portrays Moon Joo Ran, the wife of the director of a children's hospital who begins to suspect her husband, Park Jae Ho (played by Kim Sung Oh), as a potential murderer after catching a whiff of foul odor in their backyard.

In the series, Kim Tae Hee expresses various emotions, such as unease, confusion, and suspicion towards her husband, with nuanced facial expressions and subtle emotions, effectively captivating the viewers' engagement.

In the drama's second episode, which aired on the 20th, Kim Tae Hee depicted Joo Ran's complex and subtle state of mind as she discovered a pale finger standing tall in the backyard and subsequently captured a glimpse of her suspicious husband.

QJnPJW_2f.jpg

Kim Tae Hee's acting skillfully portrays Joo Ran's elegant demeanor as the wife of the hospital director, her anxious and bewildered gaze, and the scene of her digging the ground with a shovel displaying her diverse range of psychological state. Viewers have responded with enthusiastic applause for Kim Tae Hee's performance.

QJnP2v_2f.jpg

Debuted in 2000, Kim Tae Hee gained attention as a rising star, not only for her outstanding beauty but also for being a graduate of Seoul National University. She starred in prominent roles in dramas such as SBS's Stairway to Heaven (2003), KBS2's Nine Tailed Fox (2004), and SBS's Love Story in Harvard (2004). However, her acting received harsh criticism from the public for being awkward and lacking immersion in works like the film The Restless (2006) and KBS2's IRIS (2009).

A turning point in Kim Tae Hee's acting career came after her marriage to singer and actor Rain (Jung Ji Hoon) in 2017. Taking a five-year hiatus for childbirth and parenting became a decisive factor. Experiencing significant changes in life and entering her 40s, Kim Tae Hee's acting skills matured further. Starting with her comeback drama after a five-year break, tvN's Hi Bye, Mama! (2020), she managed to quell the controversy surrounding her acting skills.

However, while the role of a mother with a daughter at that time suited Kim Tae Hee's circumstances, Lies Hidden in My Garden requires a more complex and intricate psychological portrayal due to its thriller nature. Kim Tae Hee captivates attention with her controlled emotional intensity and transformed appearance.

With Kim Tae Hee stepping out of the shadow of "acting controversy," the question arises as to whether she will embrace the title of "thriller queen," attracts considerable attention.

https://mydramalist.com/article/lies-hidden-in-my-garden-kim-tae-hee-impresses-with-subtle-emotional-acting

Lies Hidden in My Garden: Episodes 1-2 (First Impressions)

by quirkycase

Welcome to the eerie world of Lies Hidden in My Garden where something always lurks under the surface. Kim Tae-hee and Im Ji-yeon star as two very different yet equally desperate women struggling to break free of their respective prisons. With tight writing, strong performances, and cinematic flair, it looks like we’re in for a well-crafted mystery/thriller.

Editor’s note: Weekly drama coverage will continue.

EPISODES 1-2

From the opening deceptively cheery theme that then distorts like a lie, I knew this was going to be my jam. The tone is enigmatic and ominous without being overdone. The storytelling is so assured and focused, making every moment feel important. I love the focus on minutiae and sensory phenomena – sounds, images, smells – and the grounding role they play here, almost like proof of reality.

I haven’t read the original novel, but the drama does have a novel-like structure. Each episode is divided into perspective and day, which works well since the story isn’t told entirely linearly and could get confusing. It also allows the drama to play with style a bit to suit the perspective. For instance, there’s a notable bluer palette for most of Joo-ran’s scenes that gives off a surreal, eerie vibe. And for scenes (often Sang-eun’s) evoking more visceral horror, the palette leans warmer and darker.

From the opening deceptively cheery theme that then distorts like a lie, I knew this was going to be my jam. The tone is enigmatic and ominous without being overdone. The storytelling is so assured and focused, making every moment feel important. I love the focus on minutiae and sensory phenomena – sounds, images, smells – and the grounding role they play here, almost like proof of reality.

I haven’t read the original novel, but the drama does have a novel-like structure. Each episode is divided into perspective and day, which works well since the story isn’t told entirely linearly and could get confusing. It also allows the drama to play with style a bit to suit the perspective. For instance, there’s a notable bluer palette for most of Joo-ran’s scenes that gives off a surreal, eerie vibe. And for scenes (often Sang-eun’s) evoking more visceral horror, the palette leans warmer and darker.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/06/lies-hidden-in-my-garden-episodes-1-2-first-impressions/

11 hours ago, Cherryblossom18 said:

I think Dr Park is a shady person. He is definitely hiding something.

I don't know.  I think it's a red herring... then again I thought the awful husband in Trolley was also a red herring; that there was some explanation :grimace:  

First Impressions: “Lies Hidden In My Garden” Promises A Cold, Slow Burn

Jun 26, 2023
by shalini

Lies Hidden In My Garden” marks Kim Tae Hee’s much-anticipated return to dramas and Lim Ji Yeon’s quick re-emergence after her hotly discussed role in “The Glory.” In a world with an abundance of true crime podcasts, thrillers, and murder mysteries, the show deftly distinguishes itself with not one but two unreliable narrators, an eerily bare score, and a sense of unease in every shot. Here’s everything I loved about the newest drama to hit the screen!

Warning: spoilers for episodes 1-2 below.

1. Two unreliable narrators: Joo Ran

kim-tae-hee-2-1.jpg

The show is told from two points of view. The first person is Moon Joo Ran (Kim Tae Hee), a housewife who lives a privileged life in a gated community with her doctor husband Park Jae Ho (Kim Sung Oh) and teenage son Park Seung Jae (Cha Sung Jae). We’re immediately launched into the fact that something isn’t quite right with Joo Ran or with her life. She cleans all day and sleeps for the rest of it. Her dreams are a troubled sequence that mimics Bluebeard’s room, featuring her son in a fox mask and a door within her consciousness that holds memories of her sister’s death. And she seems to have done something strange in Seoul that resulted in the family having to move to a gated community.

kim-sung-oh-cha-sung-jae.jpg

Her family life is strained. Her son is academically gifted but seems to want nothing to do with Joo Ran, while her husband seems to care deeply for her but also gaslights her at the drop of a hat. When Joo Ran insists that there’s a strange smell in the garden, her husband passes it off as fertilizer numerous times, convincing her that it’s in her head until she happens to hear a neighbor say the same thing about her home. It’s worth noting that Joo Ran doesn’t seem to fully trust her husband either because she investigates the smell herself after pretending that she believes him. But given her precarious mental state, it’s difficult to tell whether she can be trusted. And the same goes for our other narrator.

2. The other unreliable narrator: Sang Eun

lim-ji-yeon-2-1.jpg

Choo Sang Eun (Lim Ji Yeon) has a markedly different life to Joo Ran’s. She’s regularly abused by her scumbag husband Kim Yoon Beom (Choi Jae Rim). Everyone in their apartment complex knows about it but can do nothing to help her. For her part, Sang Eun is secretly gathering evidence to use against her husband, knowing that courts regularly favor men and wanting him jailed. She’s also faking a pregnancy for reasons we don’t know. She hears Yoon Beom on the phone making threatening calls to someone and watches warily as he even takes her to the blackmailee’s home and acts subtly threatening toward the man’s wife. Unbeknownst to Sang Eun, this is Joo Ran.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1595217wpp/first-impressions-lies-hidden-in-my-garden-promises-a-cold-slow-burn

• Like 1

Lim Ji Yeon, Kim Tae Hee, And Kim Sung Oh Get Entangled With Each Other In “Lies Hidden In My Garden”

Lim Ji Yeon, Kim Tae Hee, And Kim Sung Oh Get Entangled With Each Other In “Lies Hidden In My Garden”

Jun 26, 2023
by S. Kim

ENA’s “Lies Hidden in My Garden” has dropped new stills of its upcoming episode!

Based on the best-selling novel of the same name, “Lies Hidden in My Garden” is a suspenseful thriller about two women who lead entirely different lives—before a suspicious smell in one of their backyards brings them together in ways that they could never have expected.

The newly released stills capture Joo Ran (Kim Tae Hee), Sang Eun (Lim Ji Yeon), and Jae Ho (Kim Sung Oh) together at Sang Eun’s husband Yoon Beom’s (Choi Jae Rim’s) funeral. The three, who are entangled with each other through menace and a mysterious death, finally have a three-way meeting.

Spoiler

LHMG-04.jpg

Sang Eun grabs Joo Ran’s wrist and stares at her with a threatening gaze, and Joo Ran looks baffled and engulfed by fear.

Spoiler

LHMG-02.jpg

In the next stills, Jae Ho is enraged and grabs Sang Eun’s wrist, raising viewers’ curiosity about what might have happened to them.

Spoiler

LHMG-01.jpg

LHMG-03.jpg

The production team remarked, “In the upcoming third episode, Joo Ran and Sang Eun begin to get more entangled. The portrayal of Joo Ran, who starts to have doubts about her husband whom she trusted completely, and Sang Eun, who gets out of control after her husband’s death, will provide [viewers with] intense suspense.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1596385wpp/lim-ji-yeon-kim-tae-hee-and-kim-sung-oh-get-entangled-with-each-other-in-lies-hidden-in-my-garden

• Like 1

by Hazel Jung, June 26, 2023

eYw5YE_2f.jpg

The production team of the Genie TV original drama Lies Hidden in My Garden unveiled a confrontation between Moon Joo Ran (played by Kim Tae Hee), Choo Sang Eun (played by Im Ji Yeon), and Park Jae Ho (played by Kim Sung Oh) on the outskirts of a funeral parlor on June 26th.

wJWDJg_2f.jpg

In the previous 2nd episode of Lies Hidden in My Garden, it was revealed that Kim Yoon Beom (played by Choi Jae Rim), who unexpectedly passed away, not only subjected Sang Eun to habitual domestic violence but also blackmailed her for money by using evidence of Jae Ho's involvement in underage prostitution. Additionally, suspicious actions by both Sang Eun and Jae Ho were revealed on the day of Yoon Beom's death, arousing curiosity. Moreover, at the end of the drama, Sang Eun sends a threatening text message to Jae Ho, pretending to be her husband, which foreshadows a conflict.
The revealed still images depict Joo Ran, Sang Eun, and Jae Ho gathered together at Yoon Beom's funeral, evoking curiosity. The three individuals, entangled in a compelling mystery of blackmail and suspicious deaths, have finally come together. Furthermore, Sang Eun firmly grasps Joo Ran's wrist, staring at her sternly, while Joo Ran is engulfed in confusion and fear. A furious Jae Ho grabs Sang Eun's wrist, intensifying their curiosity about what might have happened.

The revealed still images depict Joo Ran, Sang Eun, and Jae Ho gathered together at Yoon Beom's funeral, evoking curiosity. The three individuals, entangled in a compelling mystery of blackmail and suspicious deaths, have finally come together. Furthermore, Sang Eun firmly grasps Joo Ran's wrist, staring at her sternly, while Joo Ran is engulfed in confusion and fear. A furious Jae Ho grabs Sang Eun's wrist, intensifying their curiosity about what might have happened.

Spoiler

eYwPmY_2f.jpg

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 3 :).

“Heartbeat” Joins Fierce Ratings Race And Ties With “Delightfully Deceitful”

“Heartbeat” Joins Fierce Ratings Race And Ties With “Delightfully Deceitful”

Finally, ENA’s “Lies Hidden in My Garden” achieved an average nationwide rating of 1.9 percent, also enjoying a boost from its previous episode’s rating of 1.2 percent and seeing a new personal best record.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1596641wpp/heartbeat-joins-fierce-ratings-race-and-ties-with-delightfully-deceitful

Here are the ratings for Episode 4 :).

“Delightfully Deceitful” Climbs To No. 1 + “Lies Hidden In My Garden” Sets New All-Time Ratings High

“Delightfully Deceitful” Climbs To No. 1 + “Lies Hidden In My Garden” Sets New All-Time Ratings High

The ratings battle for Monday-Tuesday dramas is fiercer than ever!

Lastly, episode 4 of ENA’s “Lies Hidden in My Garden” earned an average nationwide rating of 2.5 percent, setting a new all-time ratings high.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1596964wpp/delightfully-deceitful-climbs-to-no-1-lies-hidden-in-my-garden-sets-new-all-time-ratings-high

by Lily Alice, June 28, 2023
5 0

The ENA thriller Lies Hidden in My Garden, starring Kim Tae Hee and Im Ji Yeon, rose to its highest rating of 2.53% for its fourth episode, breaking the streak of 1% ratings. Taking into account its previous episode's viewership of 1.94%, the average rating of the drama for its second week of airing is 2.2%. Since its premiere, Lies Hidden in My Garden has observed consistent improvement in domestic ratings, remaining one of the most-watched shows on ENA. 

rNeZkj_2f.png

When and where to watch the K-drama Lies Hidden in My Garden?

Episode 5 of Lies Hidden in My Garden will air on July 3 (Monday). The K-drama is available to stream on Prime Video and Viki.

https://mydramalist.com/article/kim-tae-hee-and-im-ji-yeon-s-lies-hidden-in-my-garden-rises-to-its-highest-rating

Finished both eps.  You know who is interesting, not sure of the character's name, the widow.  The way she chows down the food after her husband died and more notably, her pounding of the ice cream that had become really frozen.  I noticed the ice cream scene because she was so persistent.  The neighbor may also be interesting; not sure about her character.

The strawberry ice cream had me think about an old Humphrey Bogart movie about mutiny.  The crew began to suspect the captain was mad over the, you guessed it “strawberries” that supposedly went missing.  I have not forgotten that one line but cannot tell you the rest of the movie or who starred in it.  LOL….So, yes, I think something is up with the widow.:hwaiting2:

Lies Hidden in My Garden: Episodes 3-4

by quirkycase

With all our players established, we dive deeper into the mystery element this week. There’s no shortage of secrets and suspicious behavior, making everyone seem guilty of something. But our recent widow and hospital director in particular are involved in some shady business that could have dire consequences for themselves and those around them.

EPISODES 3-4

After the first two weeks (half!) of the drama, it’s clear that this isn’t your typical mystery/thriller. It feels more like a suspenseful character study with a murder mystery as the catalyst, which works for me but could be disappointing for those anticipating something more action-oriented and, well, thrilling. It’s more intellectually than emotionally engaging, so it probably won’t be to everyone’s taste. But if you’re like me and love a good slower-paced, thematic, atmospheric drama, then it’s a good time.

This week, we jump right back into Yoon-beom’s funeral. It may be almost empty, but a lot goes down at this tense affair. Sang-eun shows emotion for the first time to the point of having a full-blown, public meltdown. First off, she has it out with Yoon-beom’s brother who is actually his biological cousin. Yoon-beom was raised by his aunt and uncle who never really accepted him as a son, instead abusing him as a child and using him as an ATM as an adult. His aunt and uncle don’t even show up to his funeral. And while Sang-eun may hate Yoon-beom for the abuse, she also pitied him for his difficult upbringing and awful family.

Not only is Sang-eun processing her complicated feelings over his death, but she learns from Yoon-beom’s brother that he got into massive debt, along with his brother and father, due to a scam investment (hence the blackmail scheme). So when a cop calls her at the funeral saying he can’t get ahold of Yoon-beom who missed his blackmail report hearing, Sang-eun loses it.

Once Jae-ho and Joo-ran arrive at the funeral, Sang-eun pulls him aside for a little blackmail chat. While they’re making veiled threats and assessing what each other knows, Joo-ran is inside being accosted by Sang-eun’s unwell mother who takes a liking to her. She grabs Joo-ran and won’t let go, so Joo-ran pushes her away. Sang-eun returns just in time to see her mother fall to the ground. She roughly grabs Joo-ran, the rich and sheltered wife, with clear disdain. She then almost vindictively tells her that Jae-ho killed Yoon-beom, leaving Joo-ran stunned.

Now Joo-ran has yet another reason to mistrust Jae-ho and recalls his weird phone calls and suspect behavior. She sneaks out that night to check the car’s dashcam footage, but there’s nothing saved. Jae-ho catches her in the car, so Joo-ran lies that she’s looking for her earring. When he later sees that very earring pair in her jewelry box and knows she was lying, he takes one of the earrings without saying anything.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/06/lies-hidden-in-my-garden-episodes-3-4/