[Drama 2023] Tell Me That You Love Me, 사랑한다고 말해줘

larus

Jung Woo Sung Speaks With His Hands And Shin Hyun Been Listens With Her Heart In “Tell Me You Love Me”

Nov 15, 2023
by E. Cha

Upcoming drama “Tell Me You Love Me” has shared new glimpses of Jung Woo Sung and Shin Hyun Been’s romance!

Based on an award-winning Japanese drama, “Tell Me You Love Me” tells the love story of hearing-impaired painter Cha Jin Woo (played by Jung Woo Sung) and unknown actress Jung Mo Eun (Shin Hyun Been). The drama is helmed by “Our Beloved Summer” director Kim Yoon Jin, with “Love in the Moonlight” writer Kim Min Jung penning the script.

Although Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun use different methods of communication and have led very different lives, their love transcends those differences as they bring unexpected changes to one another’s worlds.

In newly released stills from the upcoming drama, Jung Mo Eun finds herself at the hospital, where Cha Jin Woo holds up a sketchbook to ask her, “Are you all right?” Although not spoken out loud, the written words and Cha Jin Woo’s concerned expression convey such sincerity that Jung Mo Eun seems comforted and almost relieved by his simple question.

Jung-Woo-Sung.jpeg

Spoiler

Shin-Hyun-Been.jpeg

In the next set of photos, Jung Mo Eun and Cha Jin Woo start to communicate using sign language. Cha Jin Woo, who is grateful to Jung Mo Eun for her sincere effort despite her obvious lack of proficiency, wears a gentle smile as he looks her in the eye.

Shin-Hyun-Been-2.jpeg

Spoiler

Jung-Woo-Sung-2.jpeg

Jung Woo Sung spoke highly of his co-star, remarking, “Shin Hyun Been is a really great actress. I always enjoyed the time I spent studying the script and acting [together with her].”

Meanwhile, Shin Hyun Been returned the love by sharing, “As befits a drama about communication, we communicated a lot while working on the drama. We always spent a lot of time talking, and we laughed a lot too. I have faith that all the time we spent communicating will translate to a good result [in the drama itself], so I’m looking forward to it.”

Shin-Hyun-Been-Jung-Woo-Sung.jpeg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1626672wpp/jung-woo-sung-speaks-with-his-hands-and-shin-hyun-been-listens-with-her-heart-in-tell-me-you-love-me

• Like 2

Spoiler

Kim Ji Hyun, Heo Joon Suk, And Park Ki Duk Are All Intertwined With Jung Woo Sung In “Tell Me You Love Me”

Kim Ji Hyun, Heo Joon Suk, And Park Ki Duk Are All Intertwined With Jung Woo Sung In “Tell Me You Love Me”

Upcoming drama “Tell Me You Love Me” has shared brand new stills!

Based on an award-winning Japanese drama, “Tell Me You Love Me” tells the love story of hearing-impaired painter Cha Jin Woo (Jung Woo Sung) and unknown actress Jung Mo Eun (Shin Hyun Been). The drama is helmed by “Our Beloved Summer” director Kim Yoon Jin, with “Love in the Moonlight” writer Kim Min Jung penning the script.

The released stills depict the characters around Cha Jin Woo.

Kim Ji Hyun plays Song Seo Kyung, Cha Jin Woo’s college classmate and ex-lover who is the director of an art center. Song Seo Kyung knows sign language because her father is hearing-impaired.

The released stills depict Song Seo Kyung discussing with Cha Jin Woo using sign language. She appears relaxed, but her eyes are filled with longing as she looks at Ch Jin Woo. Song Seo Kyung parted ways with Cha Jin Woo for unexpected reasons, but she reappears before him as an art center director. It remains to be seen what kind of tension her presence will add to the relationship between Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun.

tell-me-you-love-me-3-1.jpg

tell-me-you-love-me-2-1.jpg

Heo Joon Suk plays the role of Cha Jin Woo’s friend Hong Ki Hyun. He has been friends with Cha Jin Woo since they were kids, and he is the only friend Jin Woo can confide in. He runs a bar and gives Cha Jin Woo heartfelt advice whenever he comes to visit.

tell-me-you-love-me-4-1.jpg

Spoiler

tell-me-you-love-me-5.jpg

Park Ki Duk plays Kwon Do Hoon, a famous painter who went to college with Cha Jin Woo and Song Seo Kyung. Kwon Do Hoon’s indifferent response to Cha Jin Woo’s warm greeting suggests that he feels inferior to Cha Jin Woo. Attention is focused on how Park Ki Duk will express Hong Ki Hyun’s complex feelings.

Spoiler

tell-me-you-love-me-1-1.jpg

tell-me-you-love-me-6.jpg

Commenting on the characters around Cha Jin Woo, the production team of “Tell Me You Love Me” shared, “They are intertwined in interesting relationships with Cha Jin Woo, and each of them have their own unique stories. Please pay attention to their special relationships, which will add fun and tension to the drama.”

“Tell Me You Love Me” will premiere on November 27 at 9 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1626817wpp/kim-ji-hyun-heo-joon-suk-and-park-ki-duk-are-all-intertwined-with-jung-woo-sung-in-tell-me-you-love-me

• Like 2

Spoiler

Watch: Shin Hyun Been Has A One-Sided Conversation With Jung Woo Sung In “Tell Me You Love Me” Teaser

Watch: Shin Hyun Been Has A One-Sided Conversation With Jung Woo Sung In “Tell Me You Love Me” Teaser

ENA’s new Monday-Tuesday drama “Tell Me You Love Me” has dropped new stills and a teaser video ahead of tonight’s premiere!

Based on an award-winning Japanese drama, “Tell Me You Love Me” tells the love story of hearing-impaired painter Cha Jin Woo (Jung Woo Sung) and unknown actress Jung Mo Eun (Shin Hyun Been). The drama is helmed by “Our Beloved Summer” director Kim Yoon Jin, with “Love in the Moonlight” writer Kim Min Jung penning the script.

The newly released stills share a sneak peek at Jung Woo Sung and Shin Hyun Been’s fate-like encounters. The first image below features Jung Mo Eun looking strangely at Cha Jin Woo, who hands her a canned drink without saying a word.

jung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-4.jpeg

Jung Mo Eun’s eyes are full of questions when she finds Cha Jin Woo not moving despite the sound of the car horn behind him.

jung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-6.jpegjung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-5.jpeg

In another image, Jung Mo Eun tries to calm down Cha Jin Woo, who looks confused at the situation that he is in.

Spoiler

jung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-1.jpeg

More stills capture the two enjoying camping together. The way Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun break down boundaries and communicate using their hands, eyes, and facial expressions hints that their relationship is growing closer.

Spoiler

jung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-3.jpegjung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-2.jpeg

The production team remarked, “Please look forward to what kind of relationship the unexpected encounter between Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun will lead to. If you pay attention to the flow of Cha Jin Woo’s and Jung Mo Eun’s emotions and see what changes the two will bring in each other’s worlds that seem to have nothing in common, you will soon be able to feel a big emotional wave.”

Spoiler

jung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-9.jpegjung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-8.jpegjung-woo-sung-shin-hyun-been-7.jpeg

Watch a teaser for episode 1 below:

https://www.facebook.com/studiogenie.official/videos/366107739132477/

“Tell Me You Love Me” will premiere on November 27 at 9 p.m. KST. Stay tuned!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1628644wpp/watch-shin-hyun-been-has-a-one-sided-conversation-with-jung-woo-sung-in-tell-me-you-love-me-teaser

• Like 1

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2023] Tell Me That You Love Me, 사랑한다고 말해줘-Jung Woo Sung & Shin Hyun Bin

Here is the ratings for Episode 1! :).

“The Matchmakers” Enjoys Boost In Ratings + “Tell Me You Love Me” Joins Fierce Race

“The Matchmakers” Enjoys Boost In Ratings + “Tell Me You Love Me” Joins Fierce Race

The Monday-Tuesday evening dramas ratings battle is fiercer than ever!

According to Nielsen Korea, the premiere episode of ENA’s “Tell Me You Love Me” garnered an average nationwide viewership rating of 1.5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1628803wpp/the-matchmakers-enjoys-boost-in-ratings-tell-me-you-love-me-joins-fierce-race

• Like 1

20231128084516_tell-me-you-love-me-stillJung Woo Sung Is Late To His Date With Shin Hyun Been In “Tell Me You Love Me”

Nov 28, 2023

“Tell Me You Love Me” has shared stills from its upcoming episode!

“Tell Me You Love Me” is based on an award-winning Japanese romance drama. Jung Woo Sung takes on the role of Cha Jin Woo, a hearing-impaired person who feels freedom in his own quiet world and who is easygoing despite the prejudice against him. Shin Hyun Been plays Jung Mo Eun, an unknown actress with self-respect who proudly chases her dreams and love.

Spoilers

In the last broadcast, Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun had a fateful first meeting on Jeju Island. With what was supposed to be a fleeting encounter, they created unfamiliar waves in each other’s worlds. A hearing impaired Cha Jin Woo experienced a pleasant noise for the first time in his life thanks to Jung Mo Eun, and Jung Mo Eun, who is used to being called an extra, was called an actress by Cha Jin Woo. After returning to their normal daily lives, they occasionally thought of each other. At the end of the episode, the two reunited again, heightening viewers’ excitement for the next episode.

In the first still, Cha Jin Woo, who is captured at a police station, has a calm facial expression as he goes through an investigation. He is also seen appealing for something with a handwritten note. The frustration in his eyes has viewers wondering why he is at the police station.tell-me-you-love-me-stills-1.jpg

In a previously released trailer for episode 2, Jung Mo Eun was seen asking Cha Jin Woo out on a date. In the following set of stills, as Jung Mo Eun waits for Cha Jin Woo, who appears to be running late for their date, she becomes curious about whether they will be able to meet at the promised location.tell-me-you-love-me-stills-2.jpg

Spoiler

tell-me-you-love-me-stills-4.jpg

tell-me-you-love-me-stills-3.jpg

The production team of “Tell Me You Love Me” shared, “The change in the relationship between Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun, who are growing closer to each other, will bring great excitement,” adding, “Please look forward to seeing how Cha Jin Woo and Jung Mo Eun, who live in slightly different worlds, will change each other.”

The next episode of ‘Tell Me You Love Me” will air on November 28 at 9 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1628960wpp/jung-woo-sung-is-late-to-his-date-with-shin-hyun-been-in-tell-me-you-love-me

• Like 1

Here is the ratings for Episode's 2 ! :).

“The Matchmakers” Remains No. 1 In Ratings

“The Matchmakers” Remains No. 1 In Ratings

ENA’s new drama “Tell Me You Love Me” starring Jung Woo Sung and Shin Hyun Been achieved an average nationwide rating of 1.8 percent, seeing a slight boost from the premiere episode’s score of 1.5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1629072wpp/the-matchmakers-remains-no-1-in-ratings

• Like 1

Tell Me That You Love Me: Episode 1 (First Impressions)

by Dramaddictally

Two artists cross paths on Jeju and again in Seoul at the start of an ever-so-slowly unfolding love story in ENA’s Tell Me That You Love Me. High on visual craftwork and low on verbal conversation, this one promises a lot of wandering, wondering, and longing — as well as some later-in-life love.

Editor’s note: Weekly drama coverage will continue.

EPISODE 1

If I didn’t already know this drama has the same director as Our Beloved Summer, I might have guessed it in the opening sequence. It’s got a similar palette and an artful eye for composition that gets right to the heart of the story.

In a series of intro shots, we see two side-by-side images of our leads in distinct locales, doing similar things at the same time. They’re both alone, introspective, writing or drawing, and looking out at the sea. Overtop, there’s voiceover, asking questions about love and difference, and whether or not it’s okay to be together when two people are very different. The whole setup tells us we’ll have to pay close attention to what’s on the screen and to the things that are not being said.

Finally the two frames join when the leads are on a beach and our heroine’s scarf blows over to our hero in the wind. He picks it up and returns it, she says thank you, and they go their separate ways. Over the next hour, we’ll slowly and quietly learn bits and pieces about their lives, as they glean things about each other.

JUNG MO-EUN (Shin Hyun-bin) is a former flight attendant who’s now struggling to be an actress. We see her on set at the beach, where she has no lines, but is fired from her role because she can’t convey the expression the director wants. Afterward, she decides to stay on Jeju for a few days to eat, walk, and vacation since she’s there anyway.

CHA JIN-WOO (Jung Woo-sung in a long-awaited return to dramaland) is an artist who appears to make his living by drawing and painting. He’s on Jeju sketching the scenery, and the two leads keep meeting each other as they walk around the island. Mo-eun tries to talk to Jin-woo on various occasions, not realizing he can’t hear.

One day, they’re both at the rooftop of a restaurant, when a kitchen fire sends smoke through the entire building and everyone has to evacuate. Jin-woo is gazing off the roof at whatever he’s drawing and doesn’t see everyone leave. Mo-eun, who’s just realized that he’s deaf, rushes against traffic to go back upstairs and help him get outside.

In his reluctance to move through the smoke, we get a glimpse of a flashback — and he appears to have some fire-related trauma that I’m sure we’ll get to know better later. But I have to say, this whole scene with the restaurant fire is presented as high drama and feels a bit disjointed from the rest of the episode, which is slight and seated in reality. The way the exaggerated action is jammed in here has me a little worried about what’s to come with the story.

Because of the smoke exposure, Mo-eun and Jin-woo end up side by side in the hospital. They begin to communicate through writing and texting, but he can also read lips, which is handy because she doesn’t know any sign language. When they leave, she’s hungry, but it’s late, so they go to where he’s camped out and cook ramen in the open air. He smiles, telling her, “It feels lively for the first time in a long time.” And I can only imagine how lonely he must be if sitting out there in the dark feels lively.

After they part, they’re still thinking of each other. She’s online studying a sign language dictionary and he’s picturing her face as she tried to coax him out of the fire. The next day, Mo-eun is leaving her hotel and finds that Jin-woo has left his sketchbook for her at the front desk. Inside, she sees a drawing of herself, standing on the beach the day she was fired. He took a photo of her then, not knowing she was being let go. On the drawing he’s written, “To Ms. Actress.” This means a lot to her since no one has ever called her an actress before (only an extra).

Three weeks later, they’re both back in Seoul and both still thinking of each other. They didn’t exchange names or contact info and it’s unlikely they’ll ever see each other again (in their minds, not in dramaland rules). We see Mo-eun struggle, working a waitress job in between going to her acting group and trying out for a role where she’s rejected, insulted, and then low-key sexually harassed.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/11/tell-me-that-you-love-me-episode-1-first-impressions/

• Like 1

Tell Me That You Love Me: Episode 2

by Dramaddictally

Even better than Episode 1, the tender pain of this drama has me in a chokehold. It’s going to drag on, and drag me right along with it, and that’s what I’m banking on. With its background of rain and symphony sounds, I’m settling in for a hurts-so-good love story that’s looking to heal its characters (and us, if we go for the ride).

Editor’s note: Weekly drama coverage will continue.

EPISODE 2

We start with turbulence. Mo-eun was once a flight attendant and she tells us that she got used to it when flying, but when it comes to life, turbulence is tough to overcome. She’s 33 now and her career change to pursue acting is a recent endeavor. She’s anxious and faltering and wishes there was a manual for life like there is on planes.

This is the mood for the episode as our characters try to connect and falter, anxious about themselves and their pasts. The drama’s strength so far is its ability to go from somber to smiling in a heartbeat and to make us feel the story more than tell it to us. When the leads are in their own spaces, there’s a sadness about them. But the second they see each other, their faces light up — and so does mine.

We pick up where we left off with Mo-eun and Jin-woo meeting on a Seoul street corner. Mo-eun has clearly been studying sign language because she already knows enough to get her point across and to understand at least part of his response. What they’re saying isn’t as important as the fact that they’re trying to communicate.

We then learn more backstory about each lead. Mo-eun has been lying to her parents about why she quit her job (they think she’s studying for the civil service exam, not studying to be an actress). And Jin-woo tells his oldest friend that he feels most comfortable being alone (with only the slightest hint that someone he cared about may have died in that traumatic fire). But as the episode progresses, it becomes more and more clear why Jin-woo might feel comfortable alone. He faces daily prejudices for being deaf and has to give more than he gets when he interacts with others.

In a crazy K-drama coincidence, the museum where Jin-woo teaches is across the street from the café where Mo-eun works (and, wouldn’t you know, Mo-eun’s bestie, Ji-yoo, also works at the same museum). The plot moves forward when Jin-woo receives two concert tickets for a singer that happens to be Mo-eun’s favorite.

In a precious scene where our leads cross paths at the museum, Jin-woo offers Mo-eun the tickets. She invites him to come with her but at first he declines. He tells her he can enjoy music — through vibration, sheet music, and his memories of sound — but she wouldn’t have fun if she’s with him, so she should go with someone else.

What works really well here is that he’s super curious about her, asking questions, and she’s repeating all his signs/questions back to him, in order to learn more sign language. I mentioned last episode that I liked not having voiceover, but it’s even clearer here how much it adds to the feeling of the story. Whenever they’re together, it’s fun and sweet, but never syrupy, and that added dose of realism hits home.

Finally, Jin-woo agrees to meet Mo-eun at the concert, and so, their first date is set. But things go awry when a young boy who lives nearby goes into Jin-woo’s house to play with his newly adopted cat and Jin-woo has no idea the boy is there. The boy falls asleep while Jin-woo is working and hours pass. In the meanwhile, his hysterical halmeoni has called the police, who knock on Jin-woo’s door out of suspicion (and this halmeoni already has it out for Jin-woo because she’s a bigot).

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/12/tell-me-that-you-love-me-episode-2/

• Like 1

Here is the ratings for Episode's 3 ! :).

“The Matchmakers” Continues Reign Over Monday-Tuesday Dramas With No. 1 Ratings

“The Matchmakers” Continues Reign Over Monday-Tuesday Dramas With No. 1 Ratings

Episode 3 of ENA’s “Tell Me You Love Me” starring Jung Woo Sung and Shin Hyun Been earned an average nationwide rating of 1.7 percent, maintaining a similar score from the previous episode’s rating of 1.8 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1630072wpp/the-matchmakers-continues-reign-over-monday-tuesday-dramas-with-no-1-ratings

• Like 1

Here is the ratings for Episode's 4! :).

“The Matchmakers” Remains No. 1 With Boost In Ratings

“The Matchmakers” Remains No. 1 With Boost In Ratings

ENA’s “Tell Me You Love” starring Jung Woo Sung and Shin Hyun Been achieved an average nationwide rating of 2.0 percent, seeing a slight increase from the previous episode’s rating of 1.7 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1630280wpp/the-matchmakers-remains-no-1-with-boost-in-ratings

• Like 1

Tell Me That You Love Me: Episodes 3-4

by Dramaddictally

Change is afoot already as our leads start to make tiny ripples in each other’s lives. As our hero begins to question his beliefs about non-belonging, our heroine gains strength and comfort from his presence. The story remains slight and stretched-out, but amidst the quiet moments, there may be the smallest signs of trouble.

EPISODES 3-4

“Because I can’t hear footsteps approaching, I must always keep people at a safe distance.” Jin-woo’s thoughts keep us rooted in his perspective for much of these episodes. When he tells us that he keeps people at a distance, we see that it’s less about protecting himself and more about being thoughtful toward others. And yet, there’s a refrain here of Jin-woo calling himself “rude.”

He’s rude because other people misunderstand him when they don’t know he’s deaf. He’s rude because people are forced to come to the door if he knocks, rather than just calling through the door in response. He’s rude because he zones out and misses what people are saying. All of this he tells us from a place of isolation (“a very deep sea”), feeling like he’s on the outside of something that everyone else is a part of — and worse, it’s something he can’t control. But by the end of these episodes, he starts to question how much is circumstance and how much is his own responsibility.

We learn that Jin-woo was raised in an orphanage and lost his hearing when he was seven, due to a high fever. He learned sign language from the orphanage director, whom he’s still close with, and that’s also where he met his best friend, HONG KI-HYUN (Heo Joon-seok) — the bar owner he hangs out with regularly.

We get a tip that perspective shifts are coming when Ki-hyun says that Jin-woo is kind but cold. He closes himself off, unwilling to give or receive anything from anyone. Ki-hyun implants the idea that Jin-woo feels like he doesn’t belong, in part, because he doesn’t try to connect.

We see this in action when Mo-eun invites Jin-woo to another concert, since they missed the last one. He says no, adding that he can enjoy music but he doesn’t like it. Mo-eun looks a bit embarrassed but then suggests they go see paintings instead. He tells her that he’s grateful that she saved him from the fire in Jeju, and because of it, he would be there for her if she needs him. But, she should enjoy good things with someone else. “Someone to be comfortable with and who’s a good match for you.” Ouch.

morehttps://www.dramabeans.com/2023/12/tell-me-that-you-love-me-episodes-3-4/

• Like 2