Zheng Ling (郑玲) as Madame Yang
Zhang Mo Xi as Qing Min
Liu Xin Qi as Lu Fu
Zhu Yi Qing (朱怡清) as Madame Lu
Yang Ming Na
Liu Yu Kun
Liu Si Yi as Zhu Yingxiao

Synopsis:

A story that follows Zhu Yuan Zhang's fourth son, Zhu Di, who fought many battles from a young age that aided him in his journey to become a qualified military commander and a skilled politician.
In his youth, Zhu Di followed general Xu Da into war and experienced bloodbaths on the battlefield. As he grew in experience to command troops of his own, he gets caught in the struggle for power within the royal courts that honed his skills in becoming a political strategist. With the support of his followers, Zhu Di settles in Beiping and vows to protect the Ming Dynasty from invaders.
With the death of Emperor Taizu of Ming, Zhu Yun Wen who succeeds in the throne falls for the instigations of his mother's tribe to turn his wrath towards the members of the Zhu imperial family, ultimately forcing Zhu Di's hand to rise up in rebellion.

Source: Dramawiki, MDL

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

Coming soon...

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam. Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.  PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to @SC2019

• Thanks 1

Hi @SC2019Thanks for creating this Thread.  I just watched Eps 1 and 2. 

It is a lovely Drama.  Very well-made thus far.  The Cast is impressive.  A lot of Veterans. The first two episodes impress me with the Fast Pace. No unnecessary scenes. None of the dragginess, which seems to be the Bane of most Chinese dramas.

Episodes 1 and 2:

Spoiler

Despite the heavy theme, Ep 1 & 2 impress me with their Wit, Humour, Light Moments.  The Flow is Smooth.   Cheng Yi as a Young Zhu Di did a great job.  Very impressive acting from him.  

"The Imperial Age" starts from the "Hongwu Northern Expedition" in the early Ming Dynasty.  It tells the story of Zhu Di (Feng Shao Feng), the fourth son of Ming Taizu Zhu Yuan Zhang.  No doubt people says Zhu Di is a Cruel Emperor.  But I would prefer to watch His Story with an Open Mind.  After all the History of the Ming Dynasty is not well-documented.  Whether Zhu Di is really a Cruel Emperor or not, is Debatable.

Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang

Ep 1 shows him as a loving husband.  He seems to have a good and relaxed relationship with his Queen Ma.

A Good Father

One day after Lunch, he went to eavedrop on his children's (a few of them) studies.  When the teacher punishes his son, he is offended.  But when the teacher praises his son, he feels proud.  Very much like an ordinary dad.

A Match-Maker

Duke Xu Da had contribute so much towards his empire.  The Emperor don't know what else to reward him.  So Empress Ma suggested Marriage.  To offer one of their sons in marriage to Xu Da's Eldest Daughter, Xu Miao Yun.  He set up a small family banquet and asked Queen Ma to cook  roast goose.  Roast Goose is the favourite dish of his target - Duke Xu Da. 

Xu Da is a General famed for his Courage and Wisdom.  But at home, he is his Eldest Daughter's son.  Meaning his eldest daughter, Xu Miao Yun is in charge.  Even Duke Xu Da has to listen to her.   And this Xu Miao Yun is the bride whom Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang has chosen for Zhu Di.

Zhu Di

Ep 1 shows Zhu Di as a rebellious young man.  While his brothers are attending class obediently,  Zhu Di is climbing trees to look at bird's nests.  And to look into the distance.  He is in the Palace.  But his ambition is thousands of miles away.

As the plot unfolds, Zhu Di's interest in military affairs and his understanding of Confucianism are revealed one by one.  At the same time, there is his lively and wilful personality.

- He dares to skip classes under Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang's eyes.  

- He dares to refuse his father's offer of marriage and fled to his father-in-law, Duke Xu Da's camp and joins his army - on the Eve of His Wedding !

Ep 2:

At the military camp, Zhu Di's future father-in-law is kind but firm with him.  He was canned 40 times for using a fictitious ID to join his troops.  

Zhu Di may be wilful, but he is never confused when faced with a difficult choice.

After Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang discovered that Zhu Di has joined the army, he offers him 2 choices:

1) He can join the army on the northern expedition.  But when he returns, he has to marry Xu Miao Yun

2) Follow his father home immediately.  And the wedding is annulled.

Zhu Di shows his steadfast character and accepts neither of the choices and insisted on joining the army.  So his father said his son should follow the army to the Northern Expedition and not marry.

In doing so, Zhu Di wins the Admiration of his bride-to-be, Xu Miao Yun and Duke Xu Da.   Initially, both Duke Xu Da and Xu Miao Yun looked down on him.  Because Zhu Di, thus far, has shown no outstanding achievements.

All these in the Opening 2 Episodes.

• Like 1

@hush puppy Cheng Yi is a good actor, no doubt about that. Just that he seems to be drawn to scripts where he has to suffer a lot and look like he's been thru hell and back. Which is why I am waiting for 

Spoiler

South Wind Knows My Mood. lol

I am sure you will keep us updated with your analysis of what's going on in this drama and the silent lurkers can keep abreast from what you've written!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 5:33 PM, SC2019 said:

Cheng Yi is a good actor, no doubt about that. Just that he seems to be drawn to scripts where he has to suffer a lot and look like he's been thru hell and back.

:thumbsup: I couldn't have said it better. 

Oh,, I really don't know what to do - palace dramas are really not my thing, so is FSF ,  but they have the whole "Love and Redemption" (aka H&R Century Pictures) gang of my favorite guys :lol: in supporting cast section. I just miss them soooo much :wub:...

• LOL 1

I've been away for a week because of my busy schedule.  No I've not abandon this drama. :lol:  I thought at least a few people may have come on board this forum to air their opinions.  But alas this is not the case. Seems like most viewers prefer Idol Dramas.  I shall not  use the "Spoilers" then.  I hope the Administrator understands.

I just managed to finish Ep 10.  It remains good.

Ep 8:

Prince Yan (as Zhu Di is called for now) went to see Xu Miao Yun (General Xu Da's eldest daughter) to cancel their wedding plans.  I think he is enamoured by the Mongolian Princess. (The Mongolian Princess Hai Bie is a Ficticious Character. She does not exist in HIstory)

Miao Yun is a very intelligent girl.  She forbids anyone in her household from talking about this incident.  But her younger sister Miao Jin got her older brother (looks like 14-15 years old) to report to the Crown Prince.  Result: Prince Yan was punished by the Crown Prince.

In his later conversations, with the Emperor, the Crown Prince said luckily the Bride and Father-in-law did not say or do anything.  It was the younger brother who came to see him.  If the Bride and Father-in-law had taken actions, then it is proof that they will not make  good in-laws.  A very wise Crown Prince.

Over at the bride's side, the younger sister was punished. Confined to her room.  Miao Yun did not do anything because she knows:

-  Prince Yan is the Crown Prince's favourite brother

-  The marriage is bestowed by the Emperor.  Both Prince Yan and herself cannot do anything. So no need to fuss over it.

But her father General Xu Da is willing to see the Emperor to annul the wedding if his daughter does not want this marriage.  But Miao Yun seems to like Prince Yan now.

Ep 9:

Crown Prince Zhu Biao gave Prince Yan 2 choices:

a) Go to Jiang Nan and be a carefree prince or nobleman.  The marriage can be avoided.  But he is not allowed to return to the Capital forever.

b) Stay and be the Right-Hand man of the Crown Prince.  But first he must marry Miao Yun.

This time, Prince Yan (Zhu Di) was no longer naive.  He chose to stay and marry.  A difficult but more meaningful path for him.

I love the wedding ceremony.  But I wish they have made it more elaborate.  And show us more.  The Wedding Night is something else.  The Bride knows how to turn a hopeless situation around. Prince Yan (Zhu Di) is so Lucky to marry her.

The ancient ladies are so brave. 

I guess the reason why Prince Yan (Zhu Di) chose to stay and marry, stems from his Experience and Growth in between.  When he was in the army:

- he saw the truth of the war

- he talked to the soldiers and know how they feel and what kind of life they have

- he walked around the street and markets and saw for himself first-hand the miserable life of ordinary people. Learnt about the true face of China outside the palace.

He heard the people's grouses:

"Speaking of Fengyang. Dao Fengyang.  Fengyang is a good place!  

Ever since Emperor Zhu came, there are 9 years of drought in 10 years!"

From that moment onwards, he was no longer a protected child.  But a prince who dared to stand up for the people.  I believe in his consciousness, the concept of governance is quietly sprouting.  So it is no wonder if he later becomes an Emperor.

"He saw, He remembered and Fought for it all his Life!"

(I find it hard to believe he is a Cruel Emperor.  Firm maybe.  An Emperor should be Firm)

Which is why I enjoy this Drama.  Such details which show the Growth of Zhu Di.  And it is only Ep 9.

It makes me appreciate  Modern Day China.  Because throughout their History:

-  They have to continuously fight Invaders who  always want to take over their Land and People

-  They have to continuously fight to Unite the different Clans and Warring States.  It makes me appreciate Emperor Shih Huang Ti

-  While Europe breaks up into many, different countries.  China manage to hold on to their Land, their People and their Dreams.  I truly salute them.

• Blob 1

I'm up to Ep 13. 

Eps 10 - 13:

1) The Relationship of Liu Bo Wen And Yao Guang Xiao (the fat Monk) seems to be close.  In the earlier episodes, after Monk Yao Guang Xiao has rescued Tie Xuan, he followed Prince Yan (Zhu Di) to the capital.  He went  to Liu Bo Wen's manor.   Liu's servants said he was sleeping.  But Monk Yao did not hesitate to enter his bedroom.

While chatting, Monk Yao predicted: "In future, this person (Zhu Di) will either be the Great Wall of Ming Dynasty.  Or the Scourge of the Ming Empire."

In Ep 10 Prince Yan (Zhu Di) will be sent on an expedition to Feng Yang disguised as the Head of a Hundred Households.  Monk Yao told Liu Bo Wen that he is going there too.  Liu Bo Wen looked at Monk Yao meaningfully and said: "Actually I knew you would do this". Liu picked up the wine glass and jokingly said:  "I pray that whatever you wish for will not be fulfilled"

Liu Bo Wen is a Supporter of Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  While Monk Yao supports Prince Yan (Zhu Di).

Prince Yan's wife Xu Miao Yun asked Queen Ma for permission to accompany him on this expedition.

2) The Mongolian Women:

Meanwhile the Mongolian Concubine of Prince Qing instigated her niece, the Mongolian Princess Hai Bie to create dissent among the Princes.  Princess Hai Bie is the daughter of the Mongolian General Wang Bao Bao.  Hai Bie targeted Lee Jin Long. Because in the earlier episodes, Lee Jin Long has shown interest in her.  So she is going to use her Beauty to seduce him.    (It is dangerous to marry the enemy's female relations)

I'm sure Hai Bie will not leave Prince Yan (Zhu Di) alone too.  I hope Prince Yan can overcome this Temptation.

3) Head of the Embroidered Uniform Guards:

Prince Yan (Zhu Di) has done well in his assignment to Feng Yang.  He is appointed to head the newly set up "Embroidered Uniform Guards."  Zhu Di is going to make a lot of enemies especially among the corrupted officials.  Hu Wei Yong for example.

Even Xu Miao Yun's younger brother told him that rumours say Prince Yan is the No 1 Oppressive Official

4) Prince Yan (Zhu Di) Became A Father:

Yes. There is  good news in Ep 13. Xu Miao Yun was announced pregnant by the doctor.  And in the next scene, she has given birth.  Very fast.  No delay, :lol:

Special Notes: I'm sure everyone knows this.  But in case some of you don't.  This Drama is originally 80 Episodes long.  But the Censorship Board cuts it down to 45 Episode.  35 Episodes were deleted.

Reasons:  Scenes that did not conform to Historical Facts.  Some Palace fights and hideous killing scenes which are too violent. War scenes were also deleted.  What a waste.  Otherwise this Drama will make more sense and will certainly be An Epic! As it is, it is quite Abrupt in some scenes.

I'm up to ep 18.:lol:

Eps 14 - 18:

l am enjoying it.  Real Life is so much more difficult to Navigate in Factual Stories.  A person is so easy to get Misunderstood.

So Prince Yan (Zhu Di) commenced his responsibility as Head of the Embroidered Uniformed Guards.  He was sent to Bei Ping  (Old Name for Bei Jing) - to uncover the deeds of his father's Corrupted Officials.  His wife with her new baby went along.  

The wicked Mongolian Princess Hai Bie went along to "Pass Information" to her Father. (I failed to understand the Stupidity of the Ming Royal Family.  How could they think that a Mongolian Princess, whose mother was killed by one of their generals, can be Tamed?) :(   And she has got Lee Jin Long completely wrapped around her Fingers by now.

But smart Xu Miao Yun seems to "smell" the danger in her.

The Results Of Zhu Di's Investigations:

From Bei Ping, he went to Feng Yang.  He found many corrupt Officials.  The most involved was Prime Minister Hu Wei Yong.  Previously Hu Wei Yong proposed to Crown Prince Zhu Biao to "transport military rations" to Bei Ping through merchants.  And then exchange "Salt Tickets" to earn Money.  Which has become a way for many officials to enrich their personal pockets.

Remember Tie Xuan?  He was the thin, young, disguised Monk who in an earlier episode  was rescued by Zhu Di.  When Zhu Di went to Feng Yang disguised as a Head of A Hundred Households, he met Tie Xuan.  Tie Xuan was in danger because he wants to report the Corrupt Officials.  Zhu Di brought him back to Nanjing to relate the case to the Crown Prince.  With Zhu Di's recommendation, Tie Xuan was sent back to Feng Yang as an official.

Tie Xuan joined hands with Zhu Di to investigate many corrupt officials.  Tie Xuan is a tough guy.  He played a game with Zhu Di and led many corrupt officials into Zhu Di's trap.  

Despite that, Tie Xuan pointed out several weak points of the Embroidered Uniform Guards.  He even personnaly "impeach" Zhu Di.

Zhu Di Stirred The Hornets' Nest:

Zhu Di's investigation disturbed Hu Wei Yong and the interests of those officials.  PM Hu Wei Yong mobilised the officials to "Impeach Zhu Di".  Huang Jing, a member of the Household Department, beat the "Lodge A Complaint Drum" to complain about this injustice and then committed suicide in Cheng Tian Men.  This made many officials very dissatisfied with the newly formed Embroidered Uniform Guards.

So in the process Zhu Di got Misunderstood by everyone:

Even Crown Prince Zhu Biao also began to suspect his younger brother Zhu Di. The Crown Prince, his Nephew (i.e. the Crown Prince's eldest son), all the Court Officials and the common people.  Everybody deemed him the most Oppressive Official. Even Miao Yun's younger brother and sister.  Miao Yun understood but she was devastated.  It is Work.  So Zhu Di could not confide in Miao Yun.  Just like an Undercover Agent could not reveal his True Face.      

PM Hu Wei Yong and several ministers begged Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang to "abolish" the Embroidered Uniform Guards.

Zhu Di was ordered to be imprisoned.  The Embroidered Uniform Guards was temporarily managed by another official.  Tie Xuan refused to plead guilty and was tortured.  

Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang demoted Zhu Di to a Commoner and took back his Residence and the Treasure Book.  All the princes went to intercede for Zhu Di.  Even Queen Ma went to persuade Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang to no avail.  Because an Emperor will always think about saving his "Face" first.

Miao Yun Was Disheartened:

After the long journey following Zhu Di to Bei Ping, Miao Yun cut short her stay at Bei Ping to return to the capital in Nanjing because she was heart-broken to watch his husband carrying out an Unrewarding Assignment.  Thus exhausting herself and her baby.  As a result her baby's health was compromised.  He could not indulge in Martial Arts and Horse-Riding in future.  I presume the infant will be short-lived too.  The sacrifice Zhu Di made under the order of his Emperor-Father.

In fact in this Unrewarding Assignment, Zhu Di has 2 Enemies:

a) Princess Hai Bie and  b) the Corrupted and Arrogant Prime Minister Hu Wei Yong

Prime Minister Hu Wei Yong (A Protege of the Ex-Prime Minister Li Shan Chang)

Hu Wei Yong was recommended by Li Shan Chang.  In fact, before Hu Wei Yong, Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang had already appointed Yang Xian and Wang Guan Yang.  They are all members of Liu Bowen's Zhedong Group. 

There are 2 Camps in the Imperial Court: a) Alligned with Liu Bo Wen    b) Alligned with Hu Wei Yong.  

Hu Wei Yong won and Liu Bo Wen retired to his hometown in the earlier episodes.

Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang is very smart.  He wants to balance the power-struggle in his court.  Elder Li Shan Chang is too arrogant.  He thinks he deserves the Sky.  Many things were not reported to Emperor Zhu.  By the time Emperor Zhu came to know of it, it is already late.  Therefore Emperor Zhu terminated Li Shan Chang's position in an earlier episode too.

But Li Shan Chang did not leave Nanjing.  He sets up a former Prime Minister's office and continued to manipulate the court.

In the beginning PM Hu Wei Yong won the trust and appreciation of Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.

General Xu Da, Li Wen Zhong, Lan Yu and other generals could win their battles because of PM Hu Wei Yong's capable supervision of supplies: food, grass and soldiers

But Power Corrupts.  And Hu Wei Yong is no exception.

Hu Wei Yong used Money, Beauties and other Promises to woo the Civil Servants and Military Generals.

Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang had more than 30,000 members of his party  beheaded.  Including those who were already very old.  Prime Minister Hu was given the "White Cloth" to hang himself - in Ep 18.

So we see.  An Emperor has to be Decisive.  Even if he is criticised for Being Cruel.  It is either your Empire Or Nothing!  And I believe it is the same for the eventual Emperor Zhu Di.

In the end, Zhu Di's name was cleared:

- Crown Prince regretted for not believing in him.

- A very much exhausted Xu Miao Yun gave birth to hers and Zhu Di's 2nd son.  But her health is very much compromised.

Miao Yun never doubted Zhu Di and even beg for the assistance of the Empress.  She begged under the rain till she fainted - because she was pregnant.  

But I could see the Brewing Politics among the Ladies:  a) Crown Prince's Imperial Concubine Lu    b) Mongolian Princess Hai Bie.

Life is Tough for Xu Miao Yun and Zhu Di.   But fortunately they are United Emotionally.  Their Love Story in the History Books, is one to be Envied.

Saturday, 23 April: Edited to add more details.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dramajunkie2020 said:

@hush puppy:Megathanks: so much the summary of each episode. I am really enjoying this series so far but do not fully understand some of the ‘deeper’ dialogue concerning politics and some of the schemeing that’s going on due to no English subs. 

Hi  @Dramajunkie2020 Thanks for your company   :blush:   I would love to do a Recap, Episode by Eiposode.  But I have a bad Start.  Having been away for 1 week, renders me very much behind the Schedule of this Drama.   Once I catch up, I'll do an Episode by Episode Recap. 

This is a wonderful Story.  And especially so when it is Historical.  The casts have been amazing.  It opens my Eyes to the fact that there so many more Beautiful Chinese Actresses with "Real Acting Abilities."   Much better than those who are dominating the Screen.

You are right.  I wish they have English Subs.  Which episode and scenes are you confused with?  Maybe we can exchange opinions

• Like 1

Ep 19 

Minister of Revenue Xu Hui came to see Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  His department is under-staffed.  Work progresses well but slowly since he is already 82 years old.  The emperor wonders why Xu Hui is recommended for the job.  But it is not surprising.  Emperor Xu has killed thousands of corrupt officials.  People are scared to work for him now.

Crown Prince apologised to Zhu Di. admitting that he was right in Feng Yang.  After all the order to kill the corrupt officials was given by him.  Therefore he will never allow others to blame Zhu Di.  His words moved Zhu Di to tears.  Both their relationship is really good.

Elsewhere, the court officials were clamouring for the return of the ex-Prime Minister Li Shan Chang.  

Emperor Zhu wants to re-start the Imperial Examinations.  He remembers Tie Xuan and asked Prince Yan (Zhu Di) to bring him to see him.  (Tie Xuan is the official who both assisted and reprimanded Prince Yan when he was carrying out his purging assignment in Feng Yang).

He was an outspoken man.  Even with the Emperor.  The Crown Prince nearly had him thrown out.  But the Emperor seems to like his honesty.  Said he has the potentials to be an Imperial Censor.

So Emperor Zhu decided to set up six new ministry and five government offices.  He puts Tie Xuan in the Imperial Censor Department (It is something like our modern day Internal Audit Department.  And it suits Tie Xuan's character).  And issued the Imperial Edict the next day.  

Tie Xuan  is a "Se Mu Ren" - an official of the previous Mongol or Yuan Dynasty.  During the Mongol's rule, the people of  China's Population was divided into various categories.  "Se Mu Ren" was placed below the Mongols, and above the Han Chinese.   Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang names him "Ding Shi".

Lee Jin Long also got a new appointment. His father was also involved in the corruptions case.  But was not executed.  Just caned.  His father advised him to forget about Hai Bie.  To just do his job well.

Meanwhile, the Crown Prince will be leaving on an Inspection Tour of the Waterways Transport System in the Grasslands (that will be in the Mongolian area). He will be escorted by Zhu Di and the Embroidered Uniform Guards.  So Hai Bei asked her maid to quickly send out a message to her father.

Ep 20:

The Fat Monk Yao Guang Xiao is fast becoming a Favourite Advisor of Zhu Di.  Both eps 19 and 20 starts off with Zhu Di having a conversation with him.

The Crown Prince Zhu Biao accompanied by his eldest son Prince Zhu Xiong Ying, Zhu Di and  the Embroidered Uniform Guards set out for the Inspection of the Waterways Transport System.

Prince Zhu Xiong Ying very quickly got infected by Smallpox which was fatal in those days.  Being young, he did not know the severity of this infection.  He did not tell his father and fell off a horse.  He had to be rushed back to the Palace.  Queen Ma took care of him but got infected. Prince Zhu Xiong Ying died.  Queen Ma quarantined herself.  Only Hai Bie is allowed in to see her.  Because Hai Bie had contracted Smallpox before and is now immuned.   Eventually Queen Ma died too.  (I wonder if this had anything to do with Hai Bie)

But with the death of his beloved Queen Ma, Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang quickly revoked the authority of the Embroidered Uniform Guards and sent Zhu Di to Bei Ping where General Xu Da or Duke Wei (his father-in-law) is stationed. (He seems to blame Zhu Di). Zhu Di was to set off 3 days after Queen Ma's death.  A still sick Crown Prince went to see him off.

Zhu Di was warmly welcomed at Bei Ping.  Some of the officials suggested that Zhu Di followed the examples of the other Prince Jin and the other princes in giving money to the scholars who were admitted to Bei Ping for the Imperial Examinations.  But Zhu Di wisely disagree.  He remembers that his father the Emperor does not like the princes to interfere in local government affairs.

Edited on: Saturday, 23 April 2022

• Like 1

Ep 21:

At Peiping, Zhu Di is well-taken care of and further trained by Duke Wei (Xu Da).

With the death of Queen Ma, Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang became hot-tempered and aged a lot.  He even wanted to denounce a few younger brothers.

Xu Zeng Shou (Miao Yun's younger brother) told his younger sister Xu Miao Jin about it.  Both of them have always been close.  Xu Miao Jin wrote a letter to her sister Xu Miao Yun.

The Imperial Examination Results were announced.

Xu Miao Yun received a letter from her younger sister informing her about the situation at the palace.  After reading it, she burnt it.  Miao Yun went to visit her father.  Xu Da told Xu Miao Yun that he wanted Zhu Di to go to the army for more experience.  To follow the army  to the front.

Later while on the way home in her carriage, Miao Yun recalled her father's words:  "I'll be sorry for my old brother this time in my life.  I have to let him experience, I have to let him be neutral in the Wei Army.  So that anyone who wants to move my daughter and son-in-law in future, will have to weigh it carefully.  And I have to let him and you bargain with others for more money."

* Here "old brother" means Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  Duke Wei wants his Army and Troops to be loyal to his son-in-law, Zhu Di.

The first thing Xu Miao Yun did after getting out of her carriage was to ask Zhang Yu what he would do once King Qi was gone.  Zhang Yi was the Mongolian man who was captured together with Hai Bie and her mother.  He has since been loyal to Zhu Di. Because Zhu Di had once saved his life and that of Hai Bie.

Zhang Yu had onced declared that as long as King Qi (the Mongol King) is alive, he would never fight against the Mongols.  Zhang Yu could not answer.  He just lowered his head.

Duke Wei  (General Xu Da) knew his days were numbered.

His health was declining and he was bedridden.  Zhu Di and the others came to visit him.  He asked to be alone with Zhu Di.  He ordered Huo Zhen to seal a letter.  He asked Zhu Di to temporarily take charge of the military and horses in Bei Ping.  And if anyone did not obey the order, they would be beheaded.  When Zhu Di stood in front of the generals to receive the letter, everyone were bewildered.  But they still knelt down to meet Zhu Di.

Princess Xu Miao Yun thought that her husband, Zhu Di's opportunity had come.  She sought the assistance of the Fat Monk Yao Guang Xiao (now known as Master Daoyan).  She told him that Zhu Di must control Pei Ping troops and horses.  She asked Daoyan to tell Zhu Di that if he had to make meritorious deeds, it had to be Today.

Zhang Yu knew that today Zhu Di was going to lead his men into Mobei (Outer Mongolia.  North of Gobi Desert) to capture the King. He thought of what he had said to Xu Miao Yun before - What would he do if King Qi was gone?  

Zhu Di had been sitting at the city-gate waiting for Zhang Yu.  In the end Zhang Yu came in his military uniform.  Zhu Di was overjoyed and hurried to set off.

Zhu Di personally led his soldiers to go deep into Mobei (Outer Mongolia. North of Gobi Desert). 

Zhu Di led his troops to Mobei and the old Mongolian general began to panic. They could no longer stay on in Beiping.  So he ordered their troops to attack. They thought that Zhu Di's men could be easily overpowered.

Zhang Yu looked at the way Zhu Di used his troops.  He felt that it was very similar to  King Qi's. 

The Mongols poisoned the river.  Some of Zhu Di's men died after drinking from it.  Zhu Di and his men continued to observe the Mongolian Troops.

Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang's original intention was to station  his other princes in the frontier to guard the future Emperor Zhu Biao and consolidate the Zhu Family's World.

Everything he did is for his Eldest Son, Crown Prince Zhu Biao.  Because he was his first child and son with his beloved Queen Ma.  He considered the rest of his sons as mere Princes.  

Soon Duke Wei was bed-ridden.  Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang asked him to return to Nanjing to recuperate.  Emperor Yuan came to visit.

Duke Wei or Xu Da asked for Roast Goose.  Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang agreed. But Xu Da's eldest son Xu Yun Gong protested: "Your Majesty.  The doctor has explained that my father's illness must never eat Roast Goose."

Emperor Zhu said to Xu Miao Yun: "This is your father's last wish."  Miao Yun bowed her head and personally cooked Roast Goose for his father. 

Saturday, 23 April 2022: Edited to add more info

• Like 1

Ep 22:

Xu Miao Yun prepared the Roast Goose for her father.  Together with her 2 brothers, she watched her father enjoying the Roast Goose.  It is like watching her father taking the Poison she had personally prepared.

Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang was equally sad.  One by one, his friends are leaving him.  Crown Prince came to inform him that Xu Da had passed away.  Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang posthumously named him "The King of Zhongshan."

But there was no time to grieve.  Because the Crown Prince Zhu Biao also brought an Urgent Military Report from Pei Ping about Zhu Di making an attack on Mobei (Outer Mongolia. North of Gobi Desert).

The Emperor was furious.  He asked why Commander Zhen Heng did not stop him.

But Zhu Di was kind to his Prisoners-Of-War (POW) giving them food and water to drink. They even captured  A-Ma-La-Tai, a Privy Council Member of the Mongolians.  After 27 days, the sentry guards at Zhu Di's camp saw his Smoke Signal.  Zhu Di is returning to the Camp.

Commander Zhen Heng and 22 others came to see Zhu Di.  They asked Zhu Di to be seated.  All of them then knelt down and pledged their allegiance to Zhu Di.

Xu Miao Yun was relieved.  Her brother Xu Yun Gong said Zhu Di had already informed the Emperor that he is using all of Pei Ping's troops to enter the vast desert.  The emperor was not angry.  But lamented that Queen Ma and Xu Da were not around to see this day.

Crown Prince:  So have you given him your consent?

Emperor: What do you think?

Crown Prince: I have written to him: "If you only know how to be brave, then the most you can be is a Leader of a Thousand Households.  Not enough to be an Emperor."

Emperor: No rewards.  No punishments.  But if he repeat it again,  he will be punished.

Zhu Di wanted to make another attack.  But the Emperor wanted to hear the Court Officials' opinions.

Li Shan Chang said the intrusion into Mobei is a God-sent opportunity.  He suggested that the emperor choose good soldiers and an able general to clean up Mobei (Outer Mongolia.  North of Gobi Desert).  Wipe them out.

He quoted the late Sima Qian (Tai Shi Gong) who once said:  "Heaven Bestows.   Why not receive?  Otherwise will get Bad Fortune instead."

All the other officials supported his suggestion.

Late evening, Crown Prince visited his favourite Concubine Lu.  Concubine Lu is a very conniving lady.  The last time Crown Prince visited, she pretended to be asleep grasping the deceased little prince's favourite soft-toy.  Why?  He is not even her son.  This time she pretended to be reading a book.  And the book led the Crown Prince to think of General Lan Yu - the Crown Princess's uncle.  The one who killed Hai Bie's mother in an early episode - episode 2?

The Crown Prince suggested  Lan Yu to the Emperor.  And General Lan Yu was duly recalled to lead the Battle.  He was elated.  

In the 20th year of Hongwu, Lan Yu marched into Mobei and attacked Liaodong with an army of 200,000 men.  He made his first Victory.  But with the temperature getting lower and lower, a lot of his men died from the "Cold" and "Lack of Food".  His men advised him to return to camp.  He refused.  He wanted a greater Victory. A month later they still could not find any Mongolian camp.  Suddenly one of his scouts came in to report a sighting at the North East.

In 1388 AD, 21st year of Hongwu, Lan Yu led his army into Mobei again and broke through the reinforcements in Yuyuerhai.  The Mongolian Leader fled.  They finally destroyed the remnant regime of the Yuan Dynasty that had occupied Mobei for more than 20 years.  Lan Yu was as Cruel as before.  He ordered the entire camp to be razed to the ground.

Lan Rong returned to Pei Ping to report to Zhu Di as well as to ask for a Fast Horse for him to return to Nanjing to report to the Emperor.  Zhu Di complied.

Li Shanchang and other civil and military officials congratulated Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang.  Lanyu was made the Duke of Liang. At the same time, he was to be awarded a Grand Welcoming Ceremony.

But the Ministry of Rites objected.  Saying the victory is not that of Lan Yu alone.  But the merits of thousands of soldiers as well.  Lan Yu had been promoted to a Generalissimo - a rank of nobility.  It is sufficient.  A Grand Welcoming Ceremony is against the norms of Etiquette.  Two other officials supported this objection.  After some hesitation and looking around at the others, Tie Xuan followed suit.  (So it seems Tie Xuan is not exactly a simple man).

Elsewhere the Crown Princess thanked the Crown Prince's Imperial Concubine Lu.  Because without her suggestion, her uncle Lan Yu would not have made a come-back.  Both the Crown Princess and the Imperial Concubine Lu are now pregnant.

Xu Miao Yun watched her sons at Sword Play.  Her second son Zhu Gao Xu is  attacking his eldest brother Zhu Gao Chi very aggressively.  Never giving way.  Miao Yun reprimanded him.  Gao Xu wanted to go watch the return of the now triumphant Duke Lan Yu.  But Miao Yun forbids.

Zhu Di visited Lan Yu's camp and was made to wait.  The Sentry Guard said Lan Yun was busy.  He had given order not to open the gates until he arrived.

He showed Zhu Di the captured horses and asked Zhu Di to take for himself whichever horses he fancied.  But a wise Zhu Di would not touch any of these horses until they were officially reported and accounted for.

A Leopard Does Not Change It's Skin.  An Arrogant Lan Yu Is Still As Arrogant As Before.

• Like 1

@hush puppyThank You GIF by Mailchimp for the recaps. I would say I understand about 70% of the show. The bits that I don’t understand are some of the speeches made and discussions by the emperor and some of the ministers. I suppose it doesn’t affect me enjoying the show too much but yes, I would much prefer to have English subs. I would pause ever so often and check my bilingual dictionary for meaning of some words to better understand what was going on in some parts. I also paused and googled some characters to get the background of characters like Tie Xuan, Hu Weiyong and Li ShanChang, albeit they are not portrayed historically accurate but close enough. It is a only TV drama after all. 
I am up to ep 27 and I won’t spoil things for you. There’s something I don’t understand in ep 25 and will bring it up after you’ve watched that episode. 
Thanks again for taking the time to do the recaps. Take A Bow Thank You GIF by Iliza

20 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Ep 19 

Minister of Revenue Xu Hui came to see Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  His department is under-staffed.  Work progresses well but slowly since he is already 82 years old.  The emperor wonders why Xu Hui is recommended for the job.  But it is not surprising.  Emperor Xu has killed thousands of corrupt officials.  People are scared to work for him now.

Crown Prince apologised to Zhu Di. admitting that he was right in Feng Yang.  After all the order to kill the corrupt officials was given by him.  Therefore he will never allow others to blame Zhu Di.  His words moved Zhu Di to tears.  Both their relationship is really good.

Elsewhere, the court officials were clamouring for the return of the ex-Prime Minister Li Shan Chang to be reinstated.  

Emperor Zhu wants to re-start the Imperial Examinations.  He remembers Tie Xuan and asked Prince Yan (Zhu Di) to bring him to see him.  (Tie Xuan is the official who both assisted and reprimanded Prince Yan when he was carrying out his purging assignment in Feng Yang).

He was an outspoken man.  Even with the Emperor.  The Crown Prince nearly had him thrown out.  But the Emperor seems to like his honesty.  Said he has the potentials to be an Imperial Censor.

So Emperor Zhu decided to set up six new ministry and five government offices.  He puts Tie Xuan in the Imperial Censor Department (It is something like our modern day Internal Audit Department.  And it suits Tie Xuan's character).  And issued the Imperial Edict the next day.  

Tie Xuan  is a "Se Mu Ren" - an official of the previous Mongol or Yuan Dynasty.  During the Mongol's rule, the people of  China's Population was divided into various categories.  "Se Mu Ren" was placed below the Mongols, and above the Han Chinese.  So he does not have a Han Chinese name.  Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang names him "Ding Shi".

(See? China is such a complex country.  It has so many Ethnic Groups.  Today it has officially recognised as having 56 Ethnic Groups, all given equal importance)

Lee Jin Long also got a new appointment. His father was also involved in the corruptions case.  But was not executed.  Just caned.  His father advised him to forget about Hai Bie.  To just do his job well.

Meanwhile, the Crown Prince will be leaving on an Inspection Tour of the Waterways Transport System in the Grasslands (that will be in the Mongolian area). He will be escorted by Zhu Di and the Embroidered Uniform Guards.  So Hai Bei asked her maid to quickly send out a message to her father.

Ep 20:

The Fat Monk Yao Guang Xiao is fast becoming a Favourite Advisor of Zhu Di.  Both eps 19 and 20 starts off with Zhu Di having a conversation with him.

The Crown Prince Zhu Biao accompanied by his eldest son Prince Zhu Xiong Ying, Zhu Di and  the Embroidered Uniform Guards set out for the Inspection of the Waterways Transport System.

Prince Zhu Xiong Ying very quickly got infected by Smallpox which was fatal in those days.  Being young, he did not know the severity of this infection.  He did not tell his father and fell off a horse.  He had to be rushed back to the Palace.  Queen Ma took care of him but got infected. Prince Zhu Xiong Ying died.   Queen Ma quarantined herself.  Only Hai Bie is allowed in to see her.  Because Hai Bie had contracted Smallpox before and is now immuned.   Eventually Queen Ma died too.  (I wonder if this had anything to do with Hai Bie)

But with the death of his beloved Queen Ma, Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang quickly revoked the authority of the Embroidered Uniform Guards and sent Zhu Di to Pei Ping where General Xu Da or Duke Wei (his father-in-law) is stationed. (He seems to blame Zhu Di). Zhu Di was to set off 3 days after Queen Ma's death.  A still sick Crown Prince went to see him off.

Zhu Di was warmly welcomed at Pei Ping.  Some of the officials suggested that Zhu Di followed the examples of the other Prince Jin and the other princes in giving money to the scholars who were admitted to Pei Ping for the Imperial Examinations.  But Zhu Di wisely disagree.  He remembers that his father the Emperor does not like the princes to interfere in local government affairs.

Edited on: Saturday, 2s April 2022

Why did the emperor sent Zhu Di away 3 days after his mum’s death/funeral? He also seemed to be angry with Zhu Di too. Why’s that? 

• Love 1

@Dramajunkie2020  Your command of Mandarin is good.  Being able to understand 70% of the Dialogue is good enough.  :thumbsup:  So I don't need to do a detailed recap.  A general one would do.  We can use the time for discussions.

I also like to do Research on the Character-Roles.  But don't have the time.  So thus far, I have not done that.

On 4/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, Dramajunkie2020 said:

Why did the emperor sent Zhu Di away 3 days after his mum’s death/funeral? He also seemed to be angry with Zhu Di too. Why’s that? 

To answer your question:  Yes.  It looks like a Punishment.  But actually it was to protect Zhu Di.

The Crown Prince and his eldest son (Zhu Xiong Ying) went on an Inspection Tour of the Waterway Transport System.  They were escorted by Zhu Di and the Embroidered Uniform Guards.  Zhu Di was Head of the Embroidered Uniform Guards.  Their job was to protect the Crown Prince and Prince Zhu Xiong Ying.

But instead, Prince Zhu Xiong Ying caught Smallpox and died.  Not only that, Queen Ma was infected and also died.  Later Crown Prince Zhu Biao fell sick.

Crown Prince is the Emperor's right hand man.  He always assist the Emperor in government matters.  Now the Emperor had no choice but to enlist the assistance of Zhu Di.

Remember the "Scene" where Zhu Di fell asleep due to exhaustion.  And the Emperor was looking at him and the empty chair besides him. I'm sure at that moment he is looking at him in the capacity of a Father.  Not an Emperor.   Then he made the decision to send Zhu Di away as a vassal official to Peiping.

I'm sure a lot of people were already suspecting that Zhu Di was responsible for the infection of Prince Zhu Xiong Ying.  That he had wild ambitions to take over the Crown Prince's position.

Zhu Di's other brothers were already sent as Vassal Officials to other counties. There is no reason for Zhu Di to remain at the palace.

The Palace is a place for Extreme Political Intrigues and Manoevrings.   All a result of  Jealousy and Selfish Ulterior Ambitions.  Every move is being watched by others.  Emperor Zhu wants to take actions before things get out of control.     Before the situation is being used by someone.   By the court officials and other members of the royal family.

So he dismantle the Embroidered Uniform Guards.  Then sent Zhu Di as a Vassal Official to Peiping.  And it is so kind of him to send Zhu Di to Peiping where his Father-in-law is.

Having all his other sons as Vassal Officials, away from the Palace earned him Two Important Points:

-  Less chance of them fighting for the Throne

-  With them as Vassal Officials, in times of Crisis, it is easier to summon troops and thus protect the Emperor and the Capital.  

This Emperor is very thoughtful of his Crown Prince.  He plans everything so almost perfectly for him.  But then as the Chinese Proverb says:

Man Proposes.  God Dispenses.

His plans still went disarray....

P/S: I'm up to Ep 26 already.  What is it in Ep 25 that you want to discuss about?

@hush puppy, thanks for clearing that up for me. I wouldn’t say my Mandarin is good but with my understanding of a certain amount of Mandarin and my guessing through context helps me to understand that much more. I teach English as a second language and guessing through context is an useful/important skill when learning a language and it sure comes in handy when I watch my Chinese dramas  :joy::joy::joy:

The part that puzzles me in ep 25 is why didn’t the emperor want to reward Zhu Di what he deserves when he took down Mobei without much fighting and bloodshed. He did a great job, even the crown Prince was surprised. You could tell by his expression/reaction when the emperor dished out the (miserly) rewards for Zhu Di.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:06 PM, Dramajunkie2020 said:

@hush puppy

The part that puzzles me in ep 25 is why didn’t the emperor want to reward Zhu Di what he deserves when he took down Mobei without much fighting and bloodshed. He did a great job, even the crown Prince was surprised. You could tell by his expression/reaction when the emperor dished out the (miserly) rewards for Zhu Di.

@Dramajunkie2020   Here are my interpretations and understandings.  

Zhu Di won the Battle over the Mongols beautifully - No Bloodshed.  No Loss of Lives.   And made an amazing contribution to the Ming Empire.   But he used a very Unconventional Method.  He disobeyed the person in charge i.e. General Lan Yu who is now a Duke.  In other words he disobeyed a Military Order.   Remember ?   He used to be punished by his father-in-law for every little mistake he makes.  Discipline is particularly important in the Military Camp.  Because a little mistake can cause Disastrous Consequences for the entire Army.

The Emperor is fully aware of this.  So, although he is very pleased with his son, he worries at the same time.  Therefore his very Insignificant Reward :   Paper Currencies and Satin Cloth

Even Monk Dao Yan also cautioned Zhu Di him not to be carried away by this success.  And he was so right.  I'm glad Zhu Di had a Wise Counsellor by his side.

And soon, we see the Hot Debate among the Ministers who are Members Of The Hanlin Imperial Academy. 

- They were saying that Zhu Di had used the lives of the 5,000 soldiers to fight for his own personal Honour.

- That if he is not Disciplined, he will repeat himself again in future.  That others might follow his example.

- That they (Members of the Hanlin Imperial Academy) are fighting for the Rules, Principles and Law

Wow!   That man - a Mr Huang Zi Cheng even quoted Mencius: 

始    作      俑     者 ;    其   无    后   乎

shi zuo yong zhe    qi  wu hou hu

Meaning:   Didn't the man who first made tomb figures die without leaving an heir?

(Just because Confucius condemn it because of their resemblance to men)

By using Mencius's quote, he is saying that one cannot bypass a Tradition, an established rule.  In Mencius's quote, the man who made Tomb Figures is being different.  He is doing something outside of traditions.  And therefore he is "cursed" to be without descendants.  

Well nowadays it is a widespread practice for the Chinese to have Paper Human Figurines and other items made to be burnt for their deceased family members.  Without any repercussions.

These Ministers are People of Theory.  Who had never fought a War.  Intellectuals who think they intelligent and wiser than others. Who are very Rigid.  And Zhu Di's friend Tie Xuan (the one who in the earlier episodes disguised himself as a Monk in order to reach the Crown Prince to lodge a Corruption Case.  And who is now an official within the Imperial Censor is such a man - Rigid and a Stickler for Rules, Principles and the Law.  He will be a Big Obstacle to Zhu Di in future.)

Words of this Debate reaches the Ears of the Young and Arrogant Prince Zhu Yun Wen - the son of the Crown Prince and the Imperial Concubine Lu.  The Prince who will succeed the Crown Prince Zhu Biao. 

*Concubine Lu is another character I dislike right from the earlier episode when Xu Miao Yun entered the Palace to meet Queen Ma.  Queen Ma gave Miao Yun her Bracelet.  And an Evil Expression immediately appears on the Face of this Imperial Concubine.  There and then, I dislike her.  How can women sharing the same husband not be jealous of each other?   I doubt the kindness she showed to the Crown Princess.  And the coincidences of her many actions makes me Wary of her:

-  Sleeping with the deceased prince's favourite soft toy when he is not even her son

-  Reading a book which makes the Crown Prince recomend Lan Yu to the Emperor.  

She makes me shivers.

I foresee  3 Enemies for  Zhu Di:

-  Prince Zhu Yun Wen

-  Imperial Concubine LU

-  Tie Xuan

I'm finally up-to-date with this drama - Ep 38.  I can now relax in my reviews and recaps.

I'm still of the opinion that this is an Excellent Drama.  With 35 episodes axed and it can still retain this pace, clarity and excitement.  I could not imagine what it will be if those 35 episodes were retained.

The pace is excellent.  No "dragging" at all.  Exceptional for a Chinese Drama.  Well done!

I would like to resume my review from the time when Crown Prince Zhu Biao died in Ep 28. 

In History Zhu Biao died from a "Cold" which he contracted during his Inspection Trip to Guanzhong.  A "Cold" is equally lethal in those days, when medical science is not so advanced.  

In this drama, he already caught a draught while in the Palace.  He ignored it and did not seek medical treatment.  It deteriorated during his journey to Shanxi Province.   It worsens to the extent that he can neither speaks nor moves.  (I guess it is Stroke).

Before he died, he drew 3 circles on a Map.  These 3 circles were drawn around the Vassal States (Or Fiefs) of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Princes.  Namely Qin Wang, Ji Wang and Zhu Di.

Meantime, Zhu Biao's Imperial Concubine Lu started lobbying for his son, Zhu Yun Wen.  The 3 officials from his late father's (Minister Lu) Ministry vouched to support her son in future.  She even got the support of the Arrogant and Stupid Lan Yu.  Lan Yu is the uncle of the Crown Princess.  Her eldest son died from Smallpox.  Then she died while giving birth to her second son.  Both mother and son died.  (I'm sure Imperial Concubine Lu has something to do with it).  And this stupid Lan Yu supported her Murderer.

By right Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang should have appointed Zhu Di.  But because of the manoevering. spearheaded by the officials from Hanlin Imperial Academy, and the Rigid Tie Xuan, he finally chose the Crown Prince's son from Imperial Concubine Lu - Zhu Yun Wen. 

Tie Xuan knelt in front of the Palace for One Whole Month.  Tie Xuan is a real Rigid, Fanatical and Stubborn Man.  This kind of person is bound to make an erroneous judgement.  Because he would not take a Bird's Eyeview of things or think out-of-the box.  He will only stick to his opinion.  And now that he is influenced by those Scholars from the Hanlin Imperial Academy, it is even worse.  Not a person one should befriend or antagonise.

Why Didn't The Emperor Choose Zhu Di?

In order for Crown Prince Zhu Biao to inherit his throne, Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang had cultivated him for more than 20 years.  And created an exclusive bureaucratic group for him.  In other words, in the imperial court at that time, it was basically the power of the Crown Prince Zhu Biao.  Almost no one supported Zhu Di.  When Zhu Biao died, the Emperor was already in his sixties.  He had no time to do the same for his other sons. 

Of course, the Emperor also did a lot of Disfavour to Zhu Di.  Appointing him as Head of the Embroidered Uniform Guards did serious damage to his reputation.  That even one of Xu Miao Yun's (Zhu Di's wife) younger brother Xu Yun Gong hated him and later threw his support behind Emperor Zhu Yun Wen.

Another reason is "Sentimentality".  The drama showed Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang visiting the Residence of the late Queen Ma.  I guessed "old age", "grief" and "Sentimentality" made him lose his foresight and collectiveness when he made his decision.  It allowed him to be easily influenced by Tie Xuan.

And then of course we must not forget that during the Ming Dynasty Era, they were very influenced by Confucianism. They looked up to scholarly excellence. Zhu Di's talent was more Military.  He had no experience at Internal and Government Affairs.

That was from Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang's point of view.  

In my opinion, he should have chosen Zhu Di.  True, his talent is more Military.  At least he has been the Crown Prince Zhu Biao's right-hand man for many years.  Crown Prince Zhu Biao is Not an all-rounder either.  He has no Military Prowess or Experience.  His son Zhu Yun Wen was even worse - Young and Arrogant.  No experience in both Government and Military Matters.

And of course, in History, Emperor Zhu Yun Wen was heavily influenced by his mother the Imperial Concubine Lu - who instigated him to slaughter all the Princes - His Uncles.   And that was what force Zhu Di  to Rebel.  Otherwise he would be slaughtered too.

Like Mother Like Son.  Emperor Zhu Yun Wen is Suspicious, Jealous and Insecure.  Pretentious and Insincere.  Very dangerous qualities for an Emperor.