[Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] The Imperial Age 山河月明

SC2019

I watched Ep 40 yesterday.  I cried.  Zhu Di fought for the Throne.  Forced to do so by the Cruel and Arrogant New Young Emperor Zhu Yun Wen.  I shall do a general review and fast-forward it to Ep 40.

In Ep 30, the young and arrogant Prince Zhu Yun Wen was appointed the Crown Prince.  Zhu Di and family left for home in Beiping - disappointed.

Ep 31, Crown Prince Zhu Yun Wen visited Beiping. When he returned to Nanjing, he made a negative report on Zhu Di, to the Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  Emp Zhu Yuan Zhang was not that muddle-headed.  He asked for Zhu Di's 3 sons to be sent Nanjing to stay for a while.  That was to protect Zhu Di - a move to pacify CP Zhu Yun Wen.

At the same time, Emp Zhu Yuan Zhang sent more of his Princes to their fiefs.  Which mean the share was getting smaller and smaller.

Ep 32:  General Lan Yu (now a Duke) was killed with a Guillotine.  In this Drama, he was accused of preparing a Rebellion.

Ep 33:  King Zhu Di visited a injured and dying 3rd Prince Ji.  All the Princes were made Kings of their respective fiefs or Vassal States.  Ministers Qi Tai and Huang Zi Cheng (both were from the Hanlin Imperial Academy.  And also proteges of Concubine Lu's father.  Minister Lu is a Scholar).  They instigated Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang to punish Zhu Di.  Because they were not supposed to visit one another - to prevent a Rebellion.

King ji and Zhu Di already knew what would happen.  So King ji told Zhu Di not to worry.  As an older brother, he would protect him.  The Old Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang had already prepared the Edict.  But burnt it when news of King Ji's (his 3rd Son)  death reached him.  All of his 3 sons died before they reached 40 years of age.

Old Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang handed the Governance of the Country (Not Yet the Throne) to CP Zhu Yun Wen.  He immediately made:

1) Minister Qi Tai and Huang Zi Chen in charge of Palace Security.

2) Minister Lee Jin Long (Zhu Di's childhood friend) and Zhao Gu Gong in charge of the Defence of the Capital

Qi Tai was originally Minister of War

Huang Zi Chen was Minister of Taichang Temple

Zhu Di is bound for some Hard Times

Old Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang died.  In his dying moments, he reminded Emperor Zhu Yun Wen 3 Times - Not to make things difficult for his Uncles.  The Emperor died.  

Imperial Concubine Lu gave her "Oscar Performance of the Year".  She was wailing with Grief.

The First Thing the New Emperor Zhu Yun Wen did was to ask Xu Miao Yun's younger brother Xu Yun Gong to go to Beiping to arrest Zhu Di.

Ep 34: Xu duly went to Beiping to ask Zhu Di to return to Nanjing to mourn for the late Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  Saying it is the Late Emperor's edict.  (But it is not).

Zhu Di was not stupid.  Zhu Di made a quick calculations:

- The Old Emperor died on the 15th day of the month.

- The New Emperor was annointed on 16th day.

- The Old Emperor was entombed on the 17th day.

Zhu Di did not return to Nanjing.  He knew if he did so, he would never get out alive.  He sent his three sons instead.

New Emperor Zhu Yun Wen made Minister Qi Tai and Huang Zi Cheng his Defacto Prime Ministers - Right Hand Men.

The New Emperor's Slogan was :  "Yan Wu Xiu Wen".   Meaning: "Desist From War.  And Encourage The Arts Of Peace."

(Which translated to his abhorrence of Military Personnel.  And Zhu Di said that meant him.  Because Zhu Di was basically a Military Man.  Smart Zhu Di)

The BloodBath Begins: (All these really happen in History)

Emperor Zhu Yun Wen's First Priority was to get rid of his Elder / Vassal Kings.  In other words - his Uncles, his father's Brothers.  Something his Grandfather had told him Not To Do.

The Wicked Qi Tai and Huang Zi Cheng wanted Emperor Zhu Yun Wen to get Zhu Di first.  But Emperor Zhu Yun Wen said Zhu Di's 3 sons were in Nanjing.  So no hurry to get him. 

He went for his 5th Uncle, King Zhou (Zhu Chi) in Kai Feng, Henan Province. He was made a Commoner and exiled to Menghua, Yunnan.

Then 7th Uncle, King Qi (Zhu Kuan) was put under House Arrest.

Then 13th Uncle, King Dai (Zhu Gui)  was put under House Arrest.

Then 18th Uncle, King Min (Zhu Wei) was deposed as a Commoner and moved to Zhangzhou.

Next is 12th Uncle (Remember the Cute, Young Prince who is Zhu Di's favourite?).  12th Uncle is the former Prince Zhu Bo.  Now King Xiang.  

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdingyue.ws.126.net%2F2022%2F0414%2F013d6acaj00raaytt0040c0011d00mnm.jpg&thumbnail=660x2147483647&quality=80&type=jpg

April - First Year of Jian Wen (1399), King Xiang of Jinzhou was accused of Treason,  Forgery of Treasury Notes, Arrogance and Murder.  Troops were sent to surround his Palace.  He set himself on Fire and Died. He was only 28 years old.

Emperor Zhu Yun Wen had got rid of 5 of his Uncles so far.

That was when Zhu Di could not stay still anymore.  He rebelled.

Next Was Zhu Di:

Zhu Di feinted Madness.  He ran to the street of Beiping like a Mad Man.  Wife Xu Miao Yun gave the Emperor's visiting Ministers, Zhu Di's Medical Treatment Reports for the past weeks.  And asked for her 3 Sons to be sent back to see their ailing father.  (Smart Girl)

Ep 35:

Zhu Di's sons and the Mongolian Princess Hai Bie returned to Bei Ping.

(By the way, Hai Bie is a ficticious character.  She does not exist in History)

In June of the First Year of Jianwen (1399), Emperor Zhu Yun Wen went for Zhu Di, indicting him of Misconduct. He wanted to detain Zhu Di and his advisor Monk Dao Yan.

Zhu Di's Battle For The Throne Began (Known in History as the "Battle of Jing Nan")

It must be Noted that when Zhu Di started his Jing Nan War Campaign, He Had Only 100,000 men.  While the Arrogant, Young Emperor Zhu Yun Wen Had 1 Million Soldiers.

Zhang Bing and Xie Gui were sent to detain them.  Zhu Di invited them into his Manor and had them killed. The rest of their soldiers switched allegiance to Zhu Di immediately.  After that Zhang Yu (the Mongolian Man who was saved by Zhu Di when he was young. Together with Hai Bie) and Zhu Neng led their troops to attack the Nine Gates of Beiping by night. Thus gaining complete control of Beiping.  (Previously the New Emperor had taken away part of Beiping, to surround Zhu Di).

Within 20 days, Tongzhou, Jizhou, Zunhua and Miyun were all attacked by Zhu Di.

Note:

Late Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang once stipulated that : "If there is no official minister in the court and there are treacherous people in the court, the Prince will train the troops to stand by.  And the emperor will secretly order the kings to lead the troops to pacify them."  

This is the right of the Vassal King to raise troops to defend the Palace.  They never thought that Zhu Di will find this explanation for raising his troops to seize power.  (Smart Guy)

Zhu Di began a Four Year Long Battle.  Known in History as the Battle of Jing Nan.  He was also the Only Prince in the History of the Great Unification Dynasty who successfully rebelled.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fdingyue.ws.126.net%2F2022%2F0424%2Fc44f7e39j00ratr6u004pc000tc00gsg.jpg&thumbnail=660x2147483647&quality=80&type=jpg

Ep 40: He fought from the North and continued down South to Nanjing.  That was a long way and it took him 4 Long Years.  Finally capturing the Capital without any real resistance.  Losing only One Battle along the way.  Commander-in-Chief Chang Yi (the Mongolian Man whom Zhu Di saved) sacrificed his Life to save Zhu Di.  That was when I cried.  

:cries:

Zhu Di was tricked by TIE XUAN of all people. Until the last moment, Zhu Di still believed in the friendship of Tie Xuan. Zhu Di almost became a Hostage.  Almost died when the soldiers suddenly dropped the City Gate.  Zhu Di's horse was crushed to death.  (But the Real Horse was alright. They did not show the horse crushed).   When Zhang YU was captured, they persuaded him to surrender.  But A LOYAL ZHANG YU would rather die.  Zhu Di exchanged his 35 prisoners-of-war for the Body of Zhang YU.

(SO VERY SAD!)   TIE XUAN is a Real Wicked Man.  

Just before Zhu Di entered Nanjing, Emperor Zhu Yun Wen accused Xu Miao Yun's second younger brother, Xu Zeng Shou a Traitor and had him killed.

When Zhu Di reached Nanjing, Li Jin Long betrayed Emperor Zhu Yun Wen by opening the Jinchuan Gate allowing Zhu Di's army to enter. (This is also True in History)

For the rest of the Drama, we shall see the Reign Of Emperor Zhu Di !

I could not wait.....

Edited On: Thursday, 28 April 2022

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ep 41 and 42 :

In this drama, the young and arrogant Emperor Zhu Yun Wen had died when Zhu Di entered the Palace grounds.  Zhu Di cried.  Because after all he was the son of his Favourite and Revered Eldest Brother.

But in History, Emperor Zhu Yun Wen escaped via a Secret Tunnel which his Grand Father, Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang had built.  And Zhu Di never found him.  As a result, Zhu Di always had to look over his shoulder, throughout his reign.  Worrying if one day he will return to challenge the Legitimacy of his throne.

Zhu Di ordered the capture of the 2 Wicked Academic Ministers Qi Tai and Huang Zi Cheng. They were executed.

460 officials managed to escape.  ONLY 23 pledged allegiance to Zhu Di.

Zhu Di offered another Academician Minister Fang Xiao Ru to work for him.  But Fang Xiao Ru refused and was executed.  (Human Beings : Is it Pride, Stubborness or Prejudice??)

Zhu Di managed to capture Tie Xuan (Ding Shi) and offered his Friendship again.  But Like Fang Xiao Ru, Tie Xuan insisted that he was right.  Zhu Di wanted to Banish him to Hainan.  But Tie Xuan chose to die.  So Zhu Di had no choice but to have him Executed.  And rightly so.  Because if you leave this type of Men to live, he will continue to create problems for you.

Xu Hui Zu (Or Xu Yun Gong), Xu Miao Yun's  (Zhu Di's wife) brother was another Nut-Head.  He hated Zhu Di out of Prejudice.  They were almost the same age and so Xu Hui Zu knew Zhu Di from young.  As we know, Zhu Di was Rebellious and not so Illustrious when young.  And when Zhu Di joined Gen Xu Da's  (Xu Hui Zu's father) Army, Xu Hui Zu was there.  So his Abhorrence for Zhu Di grew from there until his Adulthood.  (Human Beings can be so Biased.  Not a good quality).

Because of his wife, Zhu Di chose not to kill him.  He put him under House Arrest.

So Zhu Di started his reign.

On 17th July 1402, after a brief visit to his father's tomb, Zhu Di named himself Emperor Yong Le.  And began a Reign of Peace and Progress.  "Yong Le" means "Perpetual Happiness".  He was 42 years old.

He had to spend the early years of his Reign, suppressing Rumours and Outlaws.  With many Scholar-Bureaucrats refusing to recognise Zhu Di's claim to the Throne,  Emperor Yong Le began his reign with a thorough purge of them and their families - including women and children.  Other supporters of the Emperor Jianwen (Emperor Zhu Yun Wen) were also hunted down throughout the country.  Even within the Palace, there was also 2 different streams of Eunuchs.

I believe that is where Emperor Yong Le's (Zhu Di) Reputation as a Cruel Emperor came from.  (What would we have done if we were Zhu Di?.  There is a Lesson to be Learnt.  Let us not be  Busybodies.  Leave others to their problems.  We just do our job well will do.  If not happy leave.  We can never really know the full Story of a Family's internal feud.  Much less - we from the 21st Century)

Meanwhile the health of his wife Xu Miao Yun, deteriorated.  Her days were numbered.  She had helped Zhu Di a lot.

The Famous Admiral Cheng Ho

I am sure a lot of us are Familiar with the Famous Admiral Cheng Ho and the escapades of his Sea Voyages to other countries.   Admiral Cheng Ho was Ma He, a Loyal Servant of Zhu Di and Miao Yun.  Ma He or Admiral Cheng Ho was a Muslim.  

While the World fight over Religions,  China had long accepted people with  different religions.  China has always been a country of diversities.  So people should not create Fables about Tibet or Xin Jiang.

"The Imperial Age" will end today.  Yesterday we saw Ep 41 and Ep 42.

Ep 41 and 42:

Xu Miao Yun finally died in Zhu Di's arms.  Zhu Di was devastated after her death and like his father, became a different person - more short-tempered.  Because there was no one to comfort him now.

Xu Miao Yun bored him 7 childrens: 3 Sons and 4 Daughters. 

In History:

There is no Mongolian Princess Hai Bie.  Xu Miao Yun and Zhu Di were Childhood Sweethearts.  They knew and love each other from young.  At the age of 12 years old, Xu Miao Yun entered the Palace to "understudy" from Queen Ma.  And later Miao Yun  married Zhu Di.

In History, there really was a Mongolian Princess called Bo Yalun.  She was the eldest princess of Yuan Xianzong Bo Er Zhi Jin Meng Ge.  Yuan Xianzong is the grandson of Yuan Taizu Genghis Khan, the eldest son of Tuo Le - which was in the era of 1209 to 1259.  But Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang was only born in 1328.  So obviously Bo Yalun in this Drama and the Bo Yalun in History are not the same person.  But fabricated by the TV series). 

Rumours  from History said one of his men had a romantic scandal with his concubine.  And Zhu Di killed him.  (Resulting in more gossips on his Cruelty).  Rumours had it that in one of the latter battles, Zhu Di hurt his private parts.  This man knew about it and therefore was so daring to take his woman.

35 Episodes were removed for Inaccuracy and Violence. But they could not "Remove" the Mongolian Princess Hai Bie because she was in most of the Episodes. 

The Mongols continued to trouble Emperor Yong Le during his reign.  Zhu Di continued to lead the battles against them.  I believe he will succumb to his injuries in one of these battles.

Emperor Yong Le's  (Zhu Di) Achievements:

1) He did not indulge in Palace Luxuries.

2) He moved his Capital from Nanjing to Beijing, which is in a more strategic location.

3) He built the famous "Forbidden City"

4) He stopped the warring among the Chinese Clans or Tribes and reorganised the provinces to ensure peace.

5) He reconstructed the Grand Canal. The reconstruction was almost completed during his reign.

6) He finalised the architectural ensemble of his father's Xiaoling Mausoleum in Nanjing

7) He sent Admiral Cheng Ho on his many overseas expeditions.

8) He commissioned his Grand Secretary Xie Jin to write the "Yongle Encyclopedia" - a compilation of Chinese Civilisations.  It was completed in 1408 and was the World's Largest General  encyclopedia, until Wikipedia came along in late 2007.

(In this Drama he commissioned his Advisor Monk Dao Yan to do it).

Side Notes:

I came across a Cut-Video where the Imperial Concubine Lu (Crown Prince Zhu Biao's Concubine and Emperor Zhu Yun Wen's mother) added something into the Crown Princess's Soup.  That resulted in her Excessive Bleeding during the childbirth.  The Crown Princess and her foetus died.  Otherwise Concubine Lu's son Zhu Yun Wen would never be the Emperor. (They should have retained that Scene).

@hush puppyOnce again, thank you for the recaps and reviews. I've just finished watching ep 44 earlier on today. You are so right, this is still an excellent drama despite the cutting of 35 episodes. It did not affect the plot and flow of the show. Tell you what, if ever it gets English subbed, I'll watch it all over again. :rolleyes:

I have been thinking about why this drama is not getting subbed and why there isn't much discussion here. Is it because there aren't any 'xiao xian rou' or 'traffic stars' in the show?nathan fillion hd GIF

Now, back to the show. Yes, the 2 blockheads, Tie Xuan and Xu Yun Gong - so stubborn.

Xu Yun Gong: I can't quite remember his interaction with and feelings about Zhu Di during their younger years, so it was good that you wrote that in your review. I was wondering about that, wondering about his blind loyalty to the emperor when clearly, the emperor didn't trust him at all because he was Zhu Di's brother-in-law. So it was his prejudice, I see.

I felt bad for Zhu Di when Miao Yun questioned him about the punishment he dealt to her brother. I mean, what do you expect him to do. He is an emperor now and he has to set an example and can't absolve people from their 'crime' willy nilly. If the roles were reversed, Xu Yun Gong would kill Zhu Di without any hesitation.

Tie Xuan: As you mentioned in your previous review, this guy is rigid (very annoying). I find his self-righteousness very hypocritical as he was willing to betray his friendship with Zhu Di. That's not a strategic military tactic but rather a scheme. He made use of Zhu Di's belief in him and their friendship (so much for honesty and righteousness:confused:). That was low. Zhu Di was quite naive there. Yes, one can say he trusted his friend, but c'mon, this is war and Tie Xuan had made his stance quite clear during the choosing of the crown prince. He was naive again when he asked Tie Xuan to join his court and assist him. This guy made use of your friendship and trust to try and capture you!

The sad bits: The 12th prince committing suicide was so sad. I was sad for him and Zhu Di and Miao Yun's death, I cried. :cries:

It was so sad and sweet at the same time. She was his pillar, his confidante, his greatest believer and supporter.

I think the reputation Emperor Yongle earned is a bit of a mixed bag. That were certain actions (punishments and executions) he had to take because of what had happened in the past like what happened to his siblings and he had to established and justify his authority, but there were some punishments that were questionable like that of Wei Zhe, the Minister for Treasury (I think) in ep 44 who had been loyal and diligent from the get go of his reign. I though that was quite disappointing and sad.

Necessity??? What's the purpose of Bai He's role in this drama? Her role didn't add any value to the show. Her being in the show didn't make any difference at all.

Well, last episode tomorrow. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this drama. I have just started The Wind Blows in Longxi. It has a great cast, Chun Kun and Bai Yu, 2 great actors. Feng Shaofeng (Zhu Di) is in it too. The first couple of episodes are a bit slow, will watch a couple more episodes before I decide to continue or drop it.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Edited by Dramajunkie2020
no spoilers, accidentally clicked

@Dramajunkie2020  Yes.  Very moving.  I seldom criy for Chinese Dramas, unless they are very good.  And this drama makes me Cry:

- Once when Zhang Yu (the Mongolian Man and Commander-In-Chief of Zhu Di) was captured. Because he shielded and saved Zhu Di.  And later killed because he refused to betray Zhu Di.

- Second time, when Xu Miao Yun died

Like you, I was very disappointed when Zhu Di did not take Wei Ze's (Xia Yuan Ji) advice and punished him in a Fit of Temper.  Wei Ze was one of my favourite characters. Together with Chang Yi.  Xia Yuan Ji was sensible, uncorrupted and trustworthy.

But we have to understand Zhu Di as well.  He had gone through a lot.  An Emperor could not really trust anyone.  The Death of his Wife was a Big Blow to him.  Xia Yuan Ji (Wei Ze) should have been more gentle and careful when talking to him.  (Just like when we're talking to our Bosses)

I'm hoping Ep 45 will show me that Zhu Di retract his order.

As for his Reputation, you know how people:

1)  They like to Gossip.  The good things they will not remember or appreciate. The bad things, they will simple believe, repeat and amplify.

2)  The Court Officials and the Scholars represent the Upper Class.  And they looked down on Zhu Di because he did not like to Study for one.  Second, he was not chosen by the Emperor.  Third - they simply followed  Rules and Etiquettes blindly.  That the Throne should go from the Father to the Son.  They do not question whether this Heir is suitable for the Throne or not.

As if it was alright for Emperor Zhu Yun Wen to kill his Uncles.  And not alright for Zhu Di to fight back.

So No Matter How Hard He Tried.  How Much Good He Had Done, Nobody Will Give Him A Chance.  It is very difficult for him.

Nobody is Perfect.  Based on that, I would term Zhu Di a good emperor.  

You and I seem to have similar preference for dramas.  I had checked the first 2 episode for "The Wind Blow In Longxi".  I found it BORING.  I've given up.

You asked:

"I have been thinking about why this drama is not getting subbed and why there isn't much discussion here. Is it because there aren't any 'xiao xian rou' or 'traffic stars' in the show?"

a) It was not subbed because it is from Youku.  Youku does not do subbing.  They hand the subbing responsibility to "Huace Croton".   You will find Huace Croton in Youtube.  Huace Croton is very Slow. (So like you, I'll rewatch it again when the English Subs are available).

b) Why there isn't much discussion here.  You gave the correct Answers yourself.  If you notice, most Viewers watch dramas for their Favourite Actors and Actresses.  And most of their favourites are "Traffic Stars".  

I won't mention the names of these "Traffic Stars".  But usually I avoid their Dramas.  Because I go by the  Plot and Acting Abilities.   And I find that most of these "Traffic Stars" do not have the Acting Abilities.

Some of The Instances When Xu Miao Yun Helped Her Husband Zhu Di:

1) Xu Miao Yun' Letter

- purposely wrote a Letter to her Brother Xu Yun Xue.  Knowing that he will Never open the Letter, Miao Yun had her younger Sister to cut open the Letter. (Remember the Scene?  Where the Emperor's Personal Eunuch turned away to let Xu Miao Jin cut open the Letter").

After that the Eunuch delivered the Letter to the Emperor.   At first Emperor Zhu Yun Wen wanted to send Xu Yun Xue to capture Bei Ping.  When he saw the opened letter, he sent General Li Jin Long instead.  General Xu Yun Xue is a better General.  Besides all of Bei Ping's Commander-In-Chief and soldiers belonged to his Late Father, General Xu Da.  So if Emperor Zhu Yun Wen had sent Miao Yun's Brother, there is a great possibility for Zhu Di to lose.

So Xu Miao Yun's Letter is Crucial to Zhu Di's Success in defending Bei Ping.

2) Xu Miao Yun Helped To Defend Bei Ping

When Zhu Di led his army to attack Daning, the defence of Beiping was weak.  Emperor Zhu Yun Wen ordered General Li Jin Long to take the opportunity to attack Zhu Di's Vassal State (or Fief).  And that is Bei Ping.  General Li Jin Long came with 500,000 soldiers.

At that time, there were only Zhu Di's eldest son, Zhu Gao Chi and second son, Zhu Gao Xu guarding Bei Ping.  Zhu Di left behind 20,000 soldiers for them.  But promised to rush back as soon as possible.Seeing this situation, Xu Miao Yun put on the military uniform and deployed the defence in person.

When the Cold Winds changed direction and blew towards Bei Ping, she immediately ordered the people to Pour Water on the City Wall.  The Water Froze and further Fortify the City Wall.  Making it even more difficult for General Li Jin Long to attack them.

This way Bei Ping got a chance to breathe and to wait for Zhu Di's return with King Ning Zhu Quan's (his 17th Brother) Army.

Remember.  Emperor Zhu Yun Wen had 1 Million Soldiers.  And Zhu Di only had 100,000 Soldiers.  He had to borrow from his 17th Brother - King Ning Zhu Quan.  It was difficult because Zhu Di and his 17th Brother did Not have a good relationship.

General Lin Jin Long came with 500,000 Soldiers.

After they had successfully defended Bei Ping, Miao Yun took the initiative to comfort the wounded soldiers. They had a combination of soldiers from Zhu Di's brothers Qin (2nd Brother) and Jin (3rd Brother).  When Miao Yun came to the soldiers of the late King Jin, someone reminded her that they belonged to King Jin.  Xu Miao Yun replied that there were No Troops of Qin, Jin and Yan (Zhu Di was King Yan) here.  Only Soldiers of The Ming Empire.  This Sentence directly Lifted the Hearts Of The Soldiers.

3) Xu Miao Yun Helped To Motivate Zhu Di

After losing the Battle to Tie Xuan, Zhu Di was devastated.  He had never lost a battle before.  Xu Miao Yu motivated him by saying that he, Zhu Di had already won all the territories North of Yangtse River.  Already a Great Achievement.  And that the measure of a Great Man is how he handles A Failure.  Miao Yun compared him with Wang Bao Bao (Hai Bie's father and the Famed Mongolian Leader who again and again lost to General Xu Da and Emperor Zhu Yuan Zhang.  But never gave up. That got Zhu Di up, raring to go again.

Note: It must be noted that Zhu Di lost because he was hoodwinked.  Not because he failed in his Military Strategy.  Tie Xuan bluffed him that he wanted to help him.  Invited him into the City.  When actually Tie Xuan wanted to hold him Hostage.   A Blunder by Tie Xuan's soldiers made the City Wall came down suddenly and "Crushed" Zhu Di's Horse to Death.  

The Finale - Ep 45:

I love the Finale.  Very well-executed. Not too much.  Not too little.  Just sufficient Drama. Very Moving.  I cried again.

As I've predicted, Emperor Yong Le (Zhu Di) was not really angry with Xia Yuan Ji (Wei Ze).  He knew he was a good man.  Otherwise he would had had him executed.  But he  just put him into prisons, so that both of them can cool down.

When his men checked Xia Yuan Ji residence, they found that Xia Yuan Ji only had Meat, once in 10 days.  So frugal.

Zhu Di told his men to make sure Xia Yuan Ji's cell was Comfortable.  XYJ even had his working table and book shelves there.  Zhu Di told them to make sure there are mattresses for him to sleep.  Enough fire stoves if it was cold.

Zhu Di visited XYJ in his cell with the intention to release him.  But XYJ's words made Zhu Di angry.

After that Zhu Di had a Meaningful and Heart-Rending Conversation with his Heir and Eldest Son Zhu Gao Chi.  Which I feel is the Highlight of this Finale.

He told his son the reasons why he continued to wage wars on Mobei.  But he felt that Xia Yuan Ji was wrong to get the Ministry of War, Public Works, Rites, 3 Others and himself to petition him.  He asked his son how he would feel if he were Zhu Di.

Zhu Di to his Eldest Son: I don't like you so much.  But which father does not love his son.  Your grandfather and mother said you were Kind and Honest.  These two words are what worried me.

"How can an Emperor be controlled by Court Officials?"

Son: These few years you have done very well.

Zhu Di:  I know I've been too Anxious these few years.  But I dared not relax.  The moment I relax, I felt that your Grandfather was watching me from behind.  As if to ask me what have I done to the Ming Empire.

I am so strict with myself.  What more to you, as a Crown Prince.  But you are my Son.

All my Life I just want to settle all the difficult and challenging things for you.

So that in future, my Descendants can be like Han Wen Di (Emperor Wen of Han Dynasty 202 - 157 BC) - a Benevolent Ruler.

(In other words, Zhu Di would rather be cursed by his people as a Cruel Ruler.  And let his Heir and Descendants reaped the Compliments).

Do you understand?  (He asked his Eldest Son and Heir)

Son:  Yes I do.  Son understand.

The next day he left for Mobei again - to battle.  He was well into his 60's.  His birthday would be a few days time.  But he was not celebrating.

His General Wen Bi (his father was the Mongolian Man, Zhang Yu who died to save Zhu Di) offered to lead the Battle.  But Zhu Di refused saying that he had let his father down.  He will Not let Wen Bi down again.  

That night, Zhu Di had a Camp Fire Conversations with his Men.  Told them that the First Time he went to battle was 50 Years ago.

Later he decided not to proceed with the Battle. But to return home to pass over the Throne to his Son.

He fell sick and one of his Men cried. 

He left words to 2 of his Closest Generals to pass on to his Eldest Son and Heir:

- To pass the Throne to him

- Zhu Di's Funeral Ceremony and Rites and Mourning Apparels to follow that as  passed down by his Ancestors.

He went riding by himself one more time.  He recalled his earlier years :

- with his father

- with his eldest brother

- with his wife

- with his Monk Adviser

- the Jing Nan Battles

- Tie Xuan

All his Past Struggles and Happy Moments.  And then passed away.  It was the Year 1424.  He was 62 years old.  He left behind a Striving Economy and Strong Ming Empire.

THE END.

I kinda knew the final episode would focused solely on Emperor Yongle and rightly so too. The drama is about his journey. His reign is known to be one the Golden age  of Chinese dynasties.

The ending was well done, no gaps, no unanswered questions. It wound down very nicely ending with his reflection/recollection of the important people and events in his life.
Feng Shaofeng did a great job as Prince Yan and Emperor Yongle. 

@hush puppy thank you for the recaps and reviews, and thank you for your company:ilike:

• Like 1

• SC2019 changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2022] The Imperial Age 山河月明