[Drama 2022-2023] Joseon Psychiatrist Yoo Se Poong, 조선 정신과 의사 유세풍

larus

January 4 2023

Ep.1 trailers for tvN drama “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”

Poong_The_Joseon_Psychiatrist_2-ep01trai

Ep.1 trailers added for tvN drama series “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” starring Kim Min-Jae, Kim Hyang-Gi, & Kim Sang-Kyung. There’s actually two versions of the ep.1 trailer with the shorter version starting off with Yoo Se-Poong (Kim Min-Jae) stating “I miss you so much” to an illusion of Seo Eun-Woo (Kim Hyang-Gi). This scene is only in the shorter trailer. Both trailers shows the King (Oh Kyung-Joo), whose life is in danger, ordering Yoo Se-Poong to save him.

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” first airs  January 11, 2023 in South Korea.

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/ep-1-trailers-for-tvn-drama-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2

Kang Young Seok Emerges As Kim Min Jae’s Rival In Work And Love In “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”

Kang Young Seok Emerges As Kim Min Jae’s Rival In Work And Love In “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”

The upcoming season of “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” has teased Kim Min Jae and Kang Young Seok’s fiery tension!

Based on the novel of the same name, “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” is a tvN drama starring Kim Min Jae as Yoo Se Poong, a well-known internal medicine doctor who was expelled from the royal court after getting caught up in a conspiracy. In Season 1, he embarked on a mission to become a true doctor who heals the heart after meeting Seo Eun Woo (Kim Hyang Gi) and Gye Ji Han (Kim Sang Kyung) in the strange and beautiful village of Gyesu.

Ahead of Season 2, tvN has unveiled a look at Yoo Se Poong and his rival Jeon Kang Il (Kang Young Seok). While Jeon Kang Il dreams of becoming Joseon’s best doctor, he’s unable to escape the shadow of Yoo Se Poong, who’s known as “the god of acupuncture.” Since their medical exams, Jeon Kang Il has been overshadowed by Yoo Se Poong and is thus incredibly competitive with him, but Yoo Se Poong fails to even recall who Jeon Kang Il is.

Once Yoo Se Poong is called back to the palace by the king, the two meet again and rekindle their tense rivalry. The two immediately get into conflict over how to treat their patient, with Jeon Kang Il refusing to back down despite Yoo Se Poong’s cold glare. Stay tuned to see how their story unfolds as they become unique sources of motivation for each other. Additionally, Jeon Kang Il will have a surprising impact on the romance between Yoo Se Poong and Seo Eun Woo.

Spoiler

Kim-Min-Jae-Kang-Young-Seok.jpg

Director Park Won Gook of “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” commented, “Jeon Kang Il will appear as Yoo Se Poong’s threatening rival in not just medicine, but love too. He’s a character with an entirely different clever charm and friendliness from Yoo Se Poong.”

Writer Park Seul Gi added, “Jeon Kang Il is a different type of character from Yoo Se Poong. Kang Young Seok is an actor who has immersed into a variety of roles and transformed into various faces. He harmoniously adapted to appearing in different relationships and perfected his dynamic character.”

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” will premiere on January 11 at 10:30 p.m. KST. Watch a teaser here!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562230wpp/kang-young-seok-emerges-as-kim-min-jaes-rival-in-work-and-love-in-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2

Princess Woo Davi Has Her Heart Set On Marrying Kim Min Jae In “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”

Jan 10, 2023
by E. Cha

Get ready for a tense love triangle in “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”!

Based on the novel of the same name, “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” is a tvN drama starring Kim Min Jae as Yoo Se Poong, a well-known internal medicine doctor who was expelled from the royal court after getting caught up in a conspiracy. In Season 1, he embarked on a mission to become a true doctor who heals the heart after meeting Seo Eun Woo (Kim Hyang Gi) and Gye Ji Han (Kim Sang Kyung) in the strange and beautiful village of Gyesu.

Although Yoo Se Poong and Seo Eun Woo both developed feelings for one another in Season 1, their budding romance will face an unexpected new obstacle in Season 2: the bold and passionate princess Lee Seo Yi (played by Woo Davi).

Lee Seo Yi, who proudly refers to herself as Yoo Se Poong’s first love, has her heart set on marrying the doctor—and she isn’t afraid of being forward when it comes to pursuing him. Her startling honesty about her feelings makes even the usually composed Yoo Se Poong a bit dizzy, but there is something about her unpredictable and spirited charm that makes her impossible to hate.

In newly released stills from the upcoming second season, Lee Seo Yi looks none too pleased after running into Yoo Se Poong and Seo Eun Woo together. After the princess points at her romantic rival with a fierce glare, Seo Eun Woo stares awkwardly down at the floor, while Yoo Se Poong appears to have been caught off guard by Lee Seo Yi’s arrival.

Poong-The-Joseon-Psychiatrist-2-scaled.j

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” director Park Won Gook remarked, “In the drama, Lee Seo Yi is a character who fearlessly races full speed ahead in her quest to win Se Poong’s heart. The contrast between her and Seo Eun Woo, who has a hard time approaching Se Poong [romantically] due to the reality of her circumstances, will be interesting to watch.”

The producers of the drama added, “[Lee Seo Yi] is a reckless princess who has to do everything she sets her heart to. Actress Woo Davi portrayed the character’s bubbly charms in a lovable way, and she will bring a lively new energy to the drama.”

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” premieres on January 11 at 10:30 p.m. KST and will be available with subtitles on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562382wpp/princess-woo-davi-has-her-heart-set-on-marrying-kim-min-jae-in-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2

• Like 1

Premiere Watch: Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist 2

by missvictrix

poong2_pr.jpg

In our weekday slots this week, we have Kim Min-jae’s voice Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist returning for Season 2 to complete its story. Look out for a separate post on the weekend premieres later in the week.

Time slot: Wednesday-Thursday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Sageuk, medical
Episode count: 10

Reasons to watch: After rudely cutting itself in two, Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist is back in a new time slot to air the final 10 episodes of its story. If you’re still mad at the drama for pulling a fast one on you, I expect they’ll do their best to win you back over. And if you haven’t watched the first 12 episodes, now’s your chance to binge them and then pick up the ending with everyone else. The story is expected to take our favorite found family to the capital city (instead of their cozy village), as Poong has to deal with his past — and let’s be real — closure needs to happen for our characters and our love line.

TL;DR: If you took umbrage over that surprise season cliffhanger, now is your chance to get the actual conclusion of the story

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/premiere-watch-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2/

• Like 1

Soompi Forum Awards: Poll #3 - The Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022.

kdr7sTk.gif

Dear Chingus, Vote for the Most Memorable Characters, The Worst Drama Endings, The Most 'Too Stupid to Live' (TSTL) Characters of 2022!

re: Your  friendly, neighbourhood EO Team: 

@confusedheart @partyon @agenth and @Sleepy Owl

Kim Min Jae And Kim Hyang Gi Tease Upcoming Romance, Characters, And More In “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”

Kim Min Jae And Kim Hyang Gi Tease Upcoming Romance, Characters, And More In “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”

Kim Min Jae and Kim Hyang Gi have teased the upgraded fun, healing, and romance in “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2”!

At the recent online press conference for Season 2 of “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist,” lead cast members Kim Min Jae and Kim Hyang Gi chatted with director Park Won Gook about what’s to come in the drama.

Based on the novel of the same name, “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” is a tvN drama starring Kim Min Jae as Yoo Se Poong, a well-known internal medicine doctor who was expelled from the royal court after getting caught up in a conspiracy. In Season 1, he embarked on a mission to become a true doctor who heals the heart after meeting Seo Eun Woo (Kim Hyang Gi) and Gye Ji Han (Kim Sang Kyung) in the strange and beautiful village of Gyesu.

On what sets the two seasons apart, the director explained, “I want to share that everything is double. [Season 2] includes double the fun, double the healing, and double the action. In particular, it includes four times the romance.” He added, “Since the setting has moved to Hanyang [from Gyesu], the story has expanded. Additionally, we’ve unraveled the characters’ stories more deeply, including Se Poong, Eun Woo, and the Gyesu Clinic members.”

Kim-Min-Jae-Kim-Hyang-Gi-1.jpeg

Kim Min Jae shared of his character, “Yoo Se Poong of Season 1 had a strong single-minded vibe. However, since Season 2 shows what happens after he’s lived as Yoo Se Poong for awhile, you’ll be able to see a Yoo Se Poong who is a bit more warm and deep.”

Both actors chose romance as the focal point of Season 2, with Kim Min Jae elaborating, “Since I didn’t express myself very much in Season 1, you’ll feel a really big transformation in Season 2. With regards to both the expression and the story, it’s so sweet to the point where it feels close to perfect.”

Kim Hyang Gi teased, “What I can tell you is that Eun Woo has become incredibly honest with expressing her feelings. There are quite a few scenes where she acts boldly in certain moments.”

Kim-Min-Jae-Kim-Hyang-Gi.jpeg

Along with the new season comes new characters, including Jeon Kang Il (Kang Young Seok), Yoo Se Poong’s overshadowed rival, and princess Lee Seo Yi (Woo Davi), who boldly claims she is Yoo Se Poong’s first love.

Regarding Woo Davi, Kim Hyang Gi commented, “Since her character in itself is the complete opposite of Eun Woo, it was fun while acting. Something I felt while filming was that the more time went by, the more she was becoming one with Lee Seo Yi. Since [Lee Seo Yi] is such a comic-like character and so different from her actual personality, it must have been hard to get a grasp [of the role], but I felt that [Woo Davi] had worked really hard. [As a result,] I think a lovable character was perfected.”

When asked about key points for Season 2, the director shared, “Season 1 began filming last February and we concluded last December. As a result, the chemistry between the actors and characters fit perfectly, as if they stayed together for a year at the Taereung Training Center,” which is where Korean national athletes train. He continued, “If you watch with that key point in mind, you’ll be able to watch more enjoyably.”

Kim Min Jae chimed in, “I think I’ve lived as Yoo Se Poong for nearly a year. Since the drama starts in January, I hope I can start the new year together with viewers with a warm and soft heart. It’ll be great if you watch comfortably.”

Finally, Kim Hyang Gi commented, “While talking, I was reminded of many scenes. These have remained such good memories while filming and I hope they remain as good memories for viewers too. I ask that you watch while focusing on seeing what happens when conflict arises to warmhearted people.”

Spoiler

Kim-Min-Jae.jpegKim-Hyang-Gi.jpeg

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” premiered on January 11 and the next episode will air on January 12 at 10:30 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562550wpp/kim-min-jae-and-kim-hyang-gi-tease-upcoming-romance-characters-and-more-in-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2

Here are the ratings for episode 1! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” Premieres To No. 1 Ratings + “Unlock My Boss” Maintains All-Time High Ahead Of Finale

tvN’s “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” garnered an average nationwide rating of 3.7 percent for its premiere episode. Based on the novel of the same name, “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” stars Kim Min Jae as Yoo Se Poong, a well-known internal medicine doctor who was expelled from the royal court after getting caught up in a conspiracy. In Season 1, he embarked on a mission to become a true doctor who heals the heart after meeting Seo Eun Woo (Kim Hyang Gi) and Gye Ji Han (Kim Sang Kyung) in the strange and beautiful village of Gyesu.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562563wpp/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-premieres-to-no-1-ratings-unlock-my-boss-maintains-all-time-high-ahead-of-finale

• larus changed the title to [Current Drama 2022/2023] Joseon Psychiatrist Yoo Se Poong, 조선 정신과 의사 유세풍- Wed. & Thu. 22:30- Season 2

Here are the ratings for Episode 2! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Unlock My Boss” Ends On A High Note With Its Personal Best In Ratings + “The Interest Of Love” Takes No. 1

tvN’s “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” achieved an average nationwide rating of 2.5 percent for episode 2, seeing a drop from its premiere rating of 3.7 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1562731wpp/unlock-my-boss-ends-on-a-high-note-with-its-personal-best-in-ratings-the-interest-of-love-takes-no-1

Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist 2: Episodes 1-2 (First Impressions)

by Unit

PoongTheJoseonPsychiatrist2-1-00002.jpg

After the abrupt end to its first season, we are back in Joseon with our psychiatrist and his clinic family. Moving from the suburbs to Hanyang brings us in proximity to the palace (and we all know what Joseon palaces are like). But our psychiatrist is not one to run away from a challenge, even if we’d like nothing better than for the family to flee to the safety of the countryside. I mean, why get involved? But then that’s why they are the main players and we’re mere spectators.

Editor’s note: Coverage will continue with weecaps.

EPISODES 1-2 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

We start off with a reintroduction to our titular character, Poong the psychiatrist, who now practices in Hanyang in the company of his faithful servant Man-bok. The Gyesu clinic has also moved to Hanyang with our beloved found family still intact: there’s Granny who remains as eccentric as ever, Jang-goon the computer brain, Nam-hee the chef, Ib-bun the artist and of course, the leader of the pack, Ji-han the money lover.

There’s just one familiar face missing: Eun-woo the acupuncturist, and that’s because she has moved to an island after her father received his transfer orders as we saw in the last few minutes of the first season.

Since the council of wickedness headed by the second state councilor was already dissolved in the first season, I wasn’t expecting a rehash of all the palace politics — or at least, politics based on the same players. But apparently, what is dead never actually dies in Joseon because the late second state councilor sparks off a new brand of mischief. It starts with hallucinations of the councilor’s ghost as seen by palace maids and the king himself, and graduates into an epidemic — which even spreads outside the palace — after the maids come down with strange symptoms.

The king orders Poong and Ji-han to join the medical office in treating the maids, and this joint investigation ends up bruising the ego of the medical officers who are too incompetent to give a proper diagnosis, and too proud to admit that team Gyesu’s diagnosis of poisoning is correct. I could care less about the curious case of the second state councilor’s ghost, but the case serves to introduce two brand new characters: palace physician JEON KANG-IL (Kang Young-seok) and the princess LEE SEO-YI (Woo Da-bi) who is also a victim of the ghost.

Kang-il appears to be skilled-ish at his job, but I cannot respect a physician who sides with the medical office and refuses to admit to their misdiagnosis. Pride over patients? That’s not very Hippocratic of him. As for Seo-yi, she’s the typical bratty princess who refuses to get married and stresses her brother (the king) out. Together, our new characters are primed to round out the love square the drama has planned for this season. But this plan is dead on arrival because the characters aren’t even appealing.

If you want to make a proper love square, at least make the guys on the opposing team somewhat likeable. Shin-woo (the other end of the love triangle in Season 1) was an interesting character despite being morally gray for the most part. But Kang-il and Seo-yi just feel stereotypical. With only 10 episodes planned for this season, I wonder why we need them as love rivals or even as additional characters. And to further drive home the tropes, Seo-yi happens to have a “we met in the past” connection to Poong. But on a lighter note, she’s not the only one in nostalgia-land, as her head court lady also seems to have a similar connection to Ji-han. Heh.

Speaking of the love square, Eun-woo visits Hanyang in the middle of the chaos, has a reunion and an almost-kiss with Poong (which is interrupted by Man-bok, aish!), gets acquainted with Kang-il after learning he’s also a widower, and attracts the ire of Seo-yi due to her closeness with Poong. Eun-woo has her hands full, but she still manages to be a key player in solving the ghost case — which leads back to the king’s eunuch. Aha! I knew he was sus. “I would have gotten away with it if not for you meddling kids,” he says, in the Joseon equivalent, as he’s literally unmasked as the mastermind.

The suspicious eunuch’s reason for all the havoc he wrecked within and outside the palace is to prove that the second state councilor still has people loyal to him. Such a lame excuse. But as he’s dragged away, he screams that it’s not over yet, and that’s quite unsettling. I’m left to wonder if this is just the yapping of an unrepentant fellow, or there’s actual truth to his statement — in which case, more palace drama. Tsk.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-episodes-1-2-first-impressions/

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 3! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” Claims No. 1 Spot In Ratings As “Strangers Again” Makes Premiere

Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” is dominating the ratings between Wednesday-Thursday dramas!

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 3 of the second season of “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist” that aired on January 18 earned an average nationwide viewership rating of 3.3 percent. This marks a big rebound for the show, whose previous episode recorded a rating of 2.5 percent.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563572wpp/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-claims-no-1-spot-in-ratings-as-strangers-again-makes-premiere

Here are the ratings for Episode 4! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Strangers Again” Rises Slightly For 2nd Episode As “The Interest Of Love” Holds Steady

tvN’s “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” dipped to an average nationwide rating of 2.3 percent due to its unbeatable competition: the smash hit audition show “Mister Trot 2,” which airs in an overlapping time slot and soared to an all-time high of 21.3 percent for the night.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1563752wpp/strangers-again-rises-slightly-for-2nd-episode-as-the-interest-of-love-holds-steady

Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist 2: Episodes 3-4

by Unit

PoongTheJoseonPsychiatrist2-4-00010.jpg

The clinic family have left the problems of the palace behind, but trouble insists on following them back to their village. Just how much grief can the newest additions cause our beloved found family? We’re about to find out.

EPISODES 3-4 WEECAP

We resume this week with Seo-yi causing a ruckus on her arrival at Gyesu clinic, and afterwards, Kang-il marches in with a royal order to evaluate the clinic. Apparently, it’s not enough for the king to confer regional medical office status to a clinic, because said clinic must first meet the requirements of the medical headquarters in the palace. Long story short, the fate of Gyesu clinic lies in the hands of Kang-il’s evaluation.

These medics are on their way to becoming even more annoying than the villains in the first season, and they will stop at nothing to bring the Gyesu clinic to ruins. It’s almost like the mere existence of the clinic is a threat to them, and I have no idea why they’re so scared of their position in the palace being taken over by Ji-han and Poong — especially when the duo have repeatedly proven to want nothing to do with the palace.

Kang-il positions himself as the hunting dog to get rid of the Gyesu clinic for good, in return for becoming the head of the medical office in the palace — after the current head has moved up in ranks, of course. And Kang-il must be very naive if he thinks that the hunting dog will be allowed to become the hunter at the end of the hunt. But then, he seems to have many tricks up his sleeve, and I doubt that he’ll willingly accept the shorter end of the stick when all of this is over.

I mean, the evaluation business is in part a result of what Seo-yi thinks is a mutually beneficial alliance between herself and Kang-il. Meanwhile, he just capitalizes on her bruised pride after Poong turned down her marriage proposal, and leads her on to believe that only by destroying what Poong cherishes the most (the Gyesu clinic itself, and the family) will he leave the village and come running into her arms as a last resort. Tsk. Seo-yi is reluctant to participate in the “destruction” of Poong, but infatuation beats out common sense, and she agrees to the plan.

As expected, Kang-il’s assessment of the clinic is heavily biased, and he picks on the littlest of things: like the disparity in payment between rich and poor — as though subsidizing treatment for the poor patients is such a bad thing. Kang-il also has issues with medicinal herbs being handled by a child (Jang-goon), and a sick old lady (Granny) being among the help. It does look bad when you put it like that. But hey, Jang-goon is a prodigy when it comes to herbs and everything else, and Granny isn’t directly involved with treatment of the patients.

For some reason, more than the Gyesu clinic itself, Kang-il has it out for Poong — even prodding him where it hurts most: his acupuncture PTSD. “Prove you’re indeed a physician, administer acupuncture.” Ugh! I hate him so much. It seems like Kang-il was jealous of being second place to the “Divine Needle” all along. Okay, now there’s no competition for first place since Poong can no longer administer acupuncture. So, can Kang-il leave him alone already?!

When the patient of the week (a novel writer dealing with a skin condition) is rescued from the river, Poong is dragged to the office of the new district governor, AHN HAK-SOO (Baek Sung-chul) — who, might just happen to be Ib-bun’s biological uncle — for investigation. Here Kang-il blames Poong for failing to cure the patient, driving her to suicide. “How long will you make your patients suffer for your arrogance?” he asks Poong. But that’s ironic coming from someone who prevented the villagers from receiving treatment at the clinic in the name of evaluation. Tsk.

After spending most of the week being a brat, throwing things, and reading novels in her spare time, Seo-yi finally ends her partnership with Kang-il because how dare they treat her future husband like a criminal? It’s too late, anyway, because Kang-il no longer needs her. But that doesn’t stop Seo-yi from making a blank check deal with Eun-woo in exchange for helping Poong.

morehttps://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-episodes-3-4/

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 5! :).

dummy.png?s=900x600&e=t

“The Interest Of Love” Achieves Its Highest Ratings Yet As “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” Climbs Back Up

That same day, “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” garnered an average viewership rating of 3.2 percent, bouncing back from the dip it saw last week due to the simultaneous broadcasting of the hit audition show “Mister Trot 2.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1564281wpp/the-interest-of-love-achieves-its-highest-ratings-yet-as-poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-climbs-back-up

by Lily Alice, January 26, 2023
1 0

"Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist Season 2" Gets a Rise in Ratings, Netflix Releases a Trailer of "Love to Hate You"

According to Nielsen Korea, "Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist Season 2" secured an average nationwide rating of 3.17% for its 5th episode, which aired on January 25. This is a good improvement since last week's ratings when the drama plunged to its lowest rating of all time of 2.27% for its 4th episode. 

RB8X4P_2f.jpg

The tvN drama has five more episodes left till the season's finale. Hopefully, it will continue to rise in viewership ratings over the course of the next two weeks. 

https://mydramalist.com/article/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-season-2-gets-a-rise-in-ratings-netflix-promotes-its-upcoming-drama

• Like 1

Here are the ratings for Episode 6! :).

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

“Strangers Again” And “The Interest Of Love” Rise To Their Highest Ratings Yet

Finally, tvN’s “Poong, The Joseon Psychiatrist 2” dropped to an average nationwide rating of 1.9 percent for its latest episode. Thus far this season, the drama’s ratings have been falling sharply on Thursdays—when it airs in an overlapping time slot with the wildly popular audition show “Mister Trot 2″—and climbing back up on Wednesdays.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1564434wpp/strangers-again-and-the-interest-of-love-rise-to-their-highest-ratings-yet

Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist 2: Episodes 5-6

by Unit

PoongTheJoseonPsychiatrist2-5-00011.jpg

As we arrive at midpoint, the drama plays around with the usual tropes. We get a brief introduction to noble idiocy and some cheeky jealousy. But things soon take a dark turn and we are plunged into birth secrets, clownish villains, backstabbing, and of course, the dreaded palace politics. Sigh.

EPISODES 5-6 WEECAP

Seo-yi’s request — or rather, demand — for Poong’s heart sends Eun-woo onboard the noble idiot bus, and Eun-woo denies having feelings for Poong in front of the princess (and an eavesdropping Poong). Seo-yi doesn’t buy it though, and she eventually gets injured after kicking down a door in her enraged state. She insists on marrying Poong while he attends to her injury, and he turns her down leading her to kick down his door again. Okay, more than her injury, the princess needs to be evaluated for anger issues and an unhealthy obsession with marrying Poong.

But as we come learn, Seo-yi’s anger issues stem from an issue she had with her ex-fiance YOON JI-HO, and it’s relieving to know that she’s not in love with Poong — she’s only using him to stoke the flames of jealousy in her ex. So, why did she ex him in the first place? It turns out that Ji-ho is very blunt, and in his bluntness, he touched on the subject of the princess being born to a lowborn dancer who couldn’t even be made a concubine — a complex Seo-yi has had to deal with all her life. (This is all the late king’s fault for not keeping it in his pants!) No wonder she’s lashing out at everyone and everything now.

To save their doors from further destruction, our clinic family hosts a seminar to teach a straitlaced Ji-ho how to properly express his feelings for Seo-yi. But it’s an almost impossible endeavor, because Ji-ho doesn’t have a single romantic bone in his body! He’s totally hopeless, and unfortunately, lacks the self-awareness to deal with the issue despite having genuine feelings for Seo-yi.

When everything else fails, the family makes Ji-ho memorize romantic quotes from novels — or rather, the Joseon versions of writer Kim Eun-sook’s dramas. And really, good for him, because we all know Kim Eun-sook writer-nim is the queen of cheesy dialogue. Heh. (By the way, Kim Min-jae doing an imitation of Gong Yoo’s famous “Every moment I spent with you shined…” quote from The Lonely Shining Goblin might just be my new favorite thing. Lol.)

The confession stage is set, but their hilariously elaborate plan results in a series of misquotes and gaffes. And to worsen matters, Seo-yi kicks her shoe straight towards a beehive, rendering its poor occupants homeless. But in what is probably the first romantic gesture of his life, Ji-ho braves the nasty stings in order to protect Seo-yi from the bees. His action pays off because after a little pouting here and there, and some encouragement from Poong, Seo-yi finally gets back together with him.

To her credit, Seo-yi apologizes to Poong for using him, and to Eun-woo for all her harsh words, leading Eun-woo to finally alight from the noble idiot bus. Phew! Also joining the make up session is Seo-yi’s court lady — who we learn is the reason Ji-han was made to leave the medical office back then. Apparently, he stopped to save her on his way to treat the queen, and the court lady has been riddled with guilt since his expulsion from the palace. Now, she can properly thank Ji-han for saving her life, and it’s all gratitude and blissful goodbyes between the clinic family and Seo-yi’s squad.

Poong the Joseon Psychiatrist 2: Episodes 5-6

But just as the princess leaves the village, Kang-il makes an unwanted return and his gloomy presence serves to wipe away all the fun we’ve had so far. Doing a 180° from his usual self, he acts all humble and servile, and he’s even ready to work at the clinic because he has “botched his chances of returning to the medical office.” Yup, he’s totally not being suspicious in any way.

In the meantime, after a visit to the clinic, the district governor recognizes Ji-han from a past encounter. Apparently, after beating his younger brother to death for running off with a woman, the district governor went in search of the woman — who also happened to be Ji-han’s first love. Unfortunately, she died shortly after birthing Ib-bun, and rather than give her up to her evil uncle, Ji-han lied that the baby was a stillborn. But on sighting Ib-bun now, the governor does his calculations and concludes that Ib-bun is his niece.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/01/poong-the-joseon-psychiatrist-2-episodes-5-6/