[Drama 2023] Mask Girl ♢ 마스크걸 - Go Hyun Jung / Nana / Lee Han Byul - Netflix

Maetawinz

August 3 2023

Main trailer and posters for Netflix drama “Mask Girl”

Mask_Girl-tpSM1.jpg

Main trailer and three posters added for Netflix drama series “Mask Girl” starring Ko Hyun-Jung and Nana. The posters are of Ko Hyun-Jung, Nana, and a mystery actress who plays the character of Kim Mo-Mi. Captions on the posters states “3 names. 3 lives. 3 murders.”

“Mask Girl” will stream on Netflix from August 18, 2023.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Kim Mo-Mi (Ko Hyun-Jung) is an ordinary officer worker. When she was a child, she dreamed of performing on a stage, under bright lights. As she has aged, she gotten “ugly,” but she is proud of her good looking body. After her workday, and when she is at home, she puts on a mask and streams a live broadcast of herself as Mask Girl. She gets involved in an unexpected case.

Joo Oh-Nam (Ahn Jae-Hong) is Kim Mo-Mi’s colleague at work. He has a complex of about having an ugly appearance. He is a fan of Mask Girl and learns Ko Mo-Mi is actually her. He has a crush on her and becomes involved an unexpected case with Kim Mo-Mi.

Meanwhile, Kim Kyung-Ja (Yum Hye-Ran) is the mother of Joo Oh-Nam. After she divorced, Kim Kyung-Ja raised her son alone. He is the most precious thing in her life. One day, her son goes missing. Kim Kyung-Ja begins to search for his whereabouts.

Mask_Girl-tp2.jpeg

Mask_Girl-tp1.jpeg

Spoiler

Mask_Girl-tp3.jpeg

https://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/main-trailer-and-posters-for-netflix-drama-mask-girl

4 hours ago, gm4queen said:

The main posters of Mask Girl are out!

Very colorful! :love:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14+ New K-Dramas To Check Out In August

Aug 4, 2023
by D. Kim

As summer gradually comes to a close, a major wave of new K-dramas hits the screens this month.

Here are some new dramas to check out in August:

“Mask Girl”

mask-girl.jpg

Cast: Go Hyun Jung, Ahn Jae Hong, Yeom Hye Ran, Nana, etc.

Premiere Date: August 18

Broadcast Details: all episodes released simultaneously at 4 p.m. KST on Netflix

Based on a webtoon, “Mask Girl” is about an ordinary employee named Kim Mo Mi who is insecure about her looks. Every night, Kim Mo Mi is active as an internet broadcasting jockey (BJ) who works while covering her face with a mask. “Mask Girl” depicts Kim Mo Mi’s turbulent life story that unfolds when she unintentionally gets swept up in an incident.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1603298wpp/14-new-k-dramas-to-check-out-in-august

• Like 1

20230803124536_mask-girl-900%C3%97600.jp

Watch: Nana and Go Hyun Jung’s Upcoming Drama “Mask Girl” Unveils Trailer And Posters

Aug 4, 2023

Upcoming drama “Mask Girl” has released a trailer and new character posters!

Based on the popular webtoon of the same name, “Mask Girl” is a new drama about an ordinary woman named Kim Mo Mi who is insecure about her looks. Every night, Kim Mo Mi is active as an internet broadcasting jockey (BJ) who works while covering her face with a mask. “Mask Girl” depicts the turbulent story that unfolds when Kim Mo Mi unintentionally gets swept up in a major incident.

The character of Kim Mo Mi will be portrayed by three different actresses: in addition to a rookie actress that has not yet been revealed, Go Hyun Jung and Nana will play the role of Kim Mo Mi in different timelines.

The newly released posters show the character’s three different identities as Kim Mo Mi, Prisoner No. 1047, and BJ “Mask Girl.”

Nana stars as the Kim Mo Mi who has changed her appearance beyond recognition after getting involved in an unexpected incident.

nana.jpg

Meanwhile, Go Hyun Jung plays the Kim Mo Mi who has become a prison inmate.

Spoiler

go-hyun-jung.jpg

The final poster depicts Kim Mo Mi as “Mask Girl,” who works as a BJ while hiding her face due to her insecurities about her looks.

Spoiler

mask-girl.jpg

The accompanying trailer starts with Kim Mo Mi in prison, where she has wound up as Prisoner No. 1047 after becoming entangled in a murder case.

In one scene, Prisoner No. 1047 is seen dreaming about escaping from prison, while in another, she appears repentant as she calmly prays, confessing that she has committed a lot of sins.

The trailer also gives a glimpse into the sad life of ordinary office employee Kim Mo Mi. With her spectacular dancing and singing skills, Kim Mo Mi receives a lot of love as BJ “Mask Girl,” but her normal life without the mask is filled with unhappiness.

The chaos is compounded by Joo Oh Nam (Ahn Jae Hong), a man who is obsessed with “Mask Girl,” and his mother Kim Kyung Ja (Yeom Hye Ran), who is relentlessly trying to uncover Kim Mo Mi’s past and identity.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1605090wpp/watch-nana-and-go-hyun-jungs-upcoming-drama-mask-girl-unveils-trailer-and-posters

• Like 1

Go Hyun-jung and Nana become the murderous Mask Girl

by solstices

A new teaser is out for Netflix’s upcoming comedy-thriller Mask Girl, and the juxtaposition of bright fluorescence with the mask’s unreadable placidity creates an even more spine-chilling atmosphere.

The story centers around our titular mask girl Kim Momi, who’s played by three different actors in the same role. First up is the inmate Go Hyun-jung (Reflection of You), who declares that she has to get out of prison. Kneeling in repentance, she admits that she’s a sinner with a long list of crimes to her name.

That’s why Momi doesn’t seek penance, but a fresh start. Wearing a derisive sneer on her face, Yeom Hye-ran (The Glory) accuses Momi of reinventing herself through plastic surgery and a new identity. Reborn as a glitzy starlet, Nana (Glitch) basks in the spotlight wherever she goes.

As for the third persona, the enigmatic Mask Girl — played by an unnamed rookie actress — is a vivacious internet streamer with a legion of adoring fans. One of them is Ahn Jae-hong (Be Melodramatic), who’s thrilled when she offers to meet up — but glimpses of violent struggles and bloody stabbings suggest his fairytale romance might be entirely in his own head.

Three names, three lives, three murders, with Momi at the center of it all. When a young child in a paper mache mask asks why she killed people, Mask Girl giggles that it was all just a coincidence — but the more we see of the girl behind the mask, the clearer it becomes that there’s a lot more complexity lurking beneath the surface.

With filmmaker Kim Yong-hoon (Beasts Clawing at Straws) taking charge of both directing and scriptwriting, the webtoon adaptation Mask Girl drops on August 18.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2023/08/go-hyun-jung-and-nana-become-the-murderous-mask-girl/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • partyon changed the title to [Current Drama 2023] Mask Girl ♢ 마스크걸 - Go Hyun Jung / Nana / Lee Han Byul - Netflix

@africandramalover @gm4queen

Okay, I have finished now 5 episodes of 7. The body count increased by 3 since I posted last time....

This drama is not for peeps looking for some fluffy romcom.

Am really liking the cinematography. The first 15 minutes of ep 6 are in black and white. A cool effect.

It has been more R rated than I expected. We've seen sex scenes, masturbation, violence. We've seen the bare assets of @gm4queen's Daniel Oppa and of Nana. And it's not even a Korean movie.

Gotta give it to Netflix - they are allowing kdramas to have some explicit scenes too.

Nana is slaying it as Kim Mo Mi! :glasses:

010093300_1692357601-Mask_Girl_5.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Just finished watching the drama in one go. Ha ha.. Daniel and Nana are making headlines, I see. :joy: Thanks for the tag @partyon chingu!

Seriously, I salute all the 3 ladies who played Kim Mo Mi in the drama! I only know Nana but all the ladies had intense acting throughout the drama! They really deserves more recognition for playing their roles to the extend. ❤️ 

I am really looking forward to see more people drop by and leaving their thoughts. It was such an interesting ride. 

• LOL 2

@gm4queen I just finished Mask Girl as well. Watched all 7 episodes in one go (almost). :joy:

I agree that all 3 ladies did well. Go Hyun Jung was amazing as the oldest Mask Girl. Her acting was so different than what I was used to seeing from her. She was amazing! :love:

wJAN8Y_2f.jpg

Nana slayed as the fugitive / prison Mask Girl and the rookie Lee Hyun Bul did a fantastic job as original Mask Girl as well.

:cutekitty:

That halmoni was an evil witch - consumed by hatred. I might have missed it but was it so that Mo Mi never revealed that Mi Mo was halmoni's real grandkid? With the evilness halmoni was carrying around her, I doubt it would have made a difference. It did explain quite well why her son turned out the way he did. :unamused:

Wow! I was very much saddened by the ending of this drama. Such a tragic story.

Mo Mi wanted to be loved, but she never really learnt how to love herself. She put herself out there to be adored by everyone, but was judged by her looks. It's a harsh society we live in. When focusing on outer qualities and building your self-esteem on how others perceive you, you are doomed to feel inadequate.

It was nice to see her try to set things right after the choices she had made, and sacrificing herself for her child to be saved and be happy was her ultimate way of setting herself free. It made me cry.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I found this drama yesterday on netflix. and it's been a long time since I came to soompi drama's thread. and I don't know why I just want to type something about mask girl. This drama is a strange drama and very dark. people keep killing and punching people in each ep. Not my type of drama but I already watch so I just keep watching. I'm at ep 6 now. 

I couldn't find any light behind this story btw

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

LeeHanByul shared she's nervous as this is her 1st time doing lot of things recently. As for MaskGirl casting: "I met director Kim Yong Hoon after several auditions. But that's not the end. I devoted my self for the auditions for 4 months." Director KimYongHoon previously shared he auditioned almost 1,000 people and he's impressed with LeeHanByul's profile.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 10:22 PM, partyon said:

I agree that all 3 ladies did well. Go Hyun Jung was amazing as the oldest Mask Girl. Her acting was so different than what I was used to seeing from her. She was amazing! :love:

I agree!! She was my main motivation for watching the drama, and I loved her in it! I love when actors embrace a role and go as far as to be "unpretty" for the role. I want less of actors in designer wear and perfectly done looks, and more rough looking, natural skinned actors in rougher, colder, skills-stretching roles!!

All three ladies did a stupendous job! The entire cast did well.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

by Hazel Jung, August 20, 2023

Z84rgq_2f.png

Based on the webtoon of the same name, the Netflix series Mask Girl (written and directed by Kim Yong Hoon) follows the story of Kim Mo Mi, an ordinary office worker with appearance insecurities, who leads a double life as an internet broadcast BJ (streamer) by night, wearing a mask to hide her face. Unintentionally entangled in unexpected events, the drama depicts Kim Mo Mii's eventful journey.

The story begins with the character of 'Kim Mo Mi.' Kim Mo Mi (Lee Han Byeol), who loves music and dance, had to give up her dreams early on due to her appearance. Unable to learn how to be loved, she grew up into an adult who only knew how to gossip about others at work, creating enemies and isolating herself from others.

In her quest to fulfill her thirst for love, Kim Mo Mi becomes an internet broadcast Broadcast Jockey, named Mask Girl. By day, she is an ordinary office worker, but she wears a mask by night and presents herself as a Broadcast Jockey, appealing to male subscribers, emphasizing her slender figure and natural beauty. She lives by hearing only what she wants to hear and ejects viewers who don't match her taste, protecting her world.

vXQRJB_2f.jpg

Living trapped in her world, Kim Mo Mi murders her due to several events. Another coworker, Joo Oh Nam (Ahn Jae Hong), a fervent viewer of BJ Mask Girl and knows Kim Mo Mi's true identity, helps her through this process.

Kim Mo Mi's life takes a drastic turn after the central incident of murder, leading her to live her second life with a new face. Having surgically altered her appearance to match the mask she used during her Broadcast Jockey activities, Kim Mo Mi (Nana) assumes a new identity, Areum, and lives as a recluse at night in the bar, competing against Bar Ace. She becomes entangled in yet another murder by helping her close friend and competitor, Kim Chun Ae (Han Jae Yi), and ends up being pursued by Kim Kyung Ja (Yum Hye Ran), Joo Oh Nam's mother, for vengeance following the death of her son.

Thus, Kim Mo Mi becomes a suspect in multiple murder cases and a fugitive pursued by Kim Kyung Ja, eventually getting arrested by the police. Having nothing to lose, Kim Mo Mi (Nana) survives in prison with various exploits. After several years, Kim Mo Mi (Go Hyun Jung) decides to escape prison to protect her remaining daughter, Kim Mi Mo (Shin Ye Seo), whom Kim Kyung Ja is threatening.

The drama contains various social issues. The most prominent are superficial appearance standards and private revenge driven by distorted morals, which are integrated into the work's themes and messages.

0wyb7e_2f.jpg

While some messages might have been omitted or changed while condensing and popularizing the expansive original story, Kim Yong Hoon's "3 choices" resonate well with the audience.

Due to the fame of the original work, Mask Girl garnered significant attention even before its release. Interest in the cast was also high. The three actresses, Go Hyun Jung, Nana, and Lee Han Byeol, portrayed three types of Kim Mo Mi's life, creating a remarkable performance. Through these three distinct portrayals, the director's unconventional choice of casting '3 actresses for 1 role' proves correct.

Kim Yong Hoon's other choices were Ahn Jae Hong and Yeom Hye Ran. Ahn Jae Hong's performance in Mask Girl creates discomfort and even shivers, transcending aversion. Despite the discomfort and aversion towards the work, Ahn Jae Hong's likability and acting ability, as the director mentioned during the production presentation, partially offset the discomfort and aversion, leading to positive feedback on his performance.

Yeom Hye Ran, in contrast to her previous roles, injects fear into the work with her different portrayal. As Kim Mo Mi gets closer to revenge, Yeom Hye Ran's eerie expression and voice add to the tension of the work, making even viewers shiver.

Spoiler

Xd4red_2f.png

Furthermore, the accolades for Mask Girl extend to its "high-quality production team." Due to their previous works and awards, production designer Ryu Seong Hee and music director Jang Young Gyu are names familiar to drama fans and film enthusiasts. The opening video's imagery, music, and the work's eerie and nuanced aspects are well-preserved. Moreover, Ryu Seong Hee's idea of using Kim Mo Mi's dream beauty and Nana's surgically altered face to design Mask Girl's mask enhances the quality of the production.

Director of Photography Joo Seong Rim maximized the unique characteristics of each character through camera angles and movements that change with every episode. Makeup artist Song Jong Hee primarily contributes to Kim Mo Mi's transformation. By naturally blending the characters with the passage of time and character development, she eliminates the unfamiliarity between the actors and their characters.

https://mydramalist.com/article/the-3-choices-of-mask-girl

• Like 3

On 8/21/2023 at 4:38 AM, Gumiho said:

I'm at ep 6 now.

Did you finish it? How did you like the ending?

21 hours ago, africandramalover said:

I want less of actors in designer wear and perfectly done looks, and more rough looking, natural skinned actors in rougher, colder, skills-stretching roles!!

Yes to this! It would be great to see more diversity overall 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

by Hazel Jung, August 22, 2023

Xd4bdd_2f.jpg

On the 18th, the Netflix original series Mask Girl was released. Mask Girl depicts the story of Kim Mo Mi, an ordinary office worker with insecurities about her appearance, who engages in internet broadcasting as Mask Girl, getting entangled in unintended events, portraying her eventful life.

While renowned actors like Go Hyun Jung, Nana, Lee Han Byeol, and Yeom Hye Ran have showcased surprising character plays, including portraying eccentric characters, Ahn Jae Hong stands out.

Ahn Jae Hong portrays Joo Oh Nam, a co-worker who secretly loves Kim Mo Mi. He makes no moves due to his appearance insecurities. His sole comfort is watching internet broadcasts, but he unexpectedly becomes involved in events with Broadcast Jockey Mo Mi.

Ahn Jae Hong's appearance in the teaser trailer, even for just one second, with his thinning hair, thick glasses, and blue shirt, exudes an inseparable connection with the character and garnered significant attention.

kAoWAO_2f.jpg

Ahn Jae Hong underwent two hours of special makeup for each shoot to embody the character entirely. He said, 

"People couldn't recognize me at the filming site, and security stopped me."

Ahn Jae Hong's unique styling for Mask Girl is the work of Song Jong Hee, the makeup director who flawlessly transformed Park Hae Il into an elderly man named Lee Juk Yo in the film A Muse. Ahn Jae Hong expressed deep gratitude, saying, 

"He's the director who created legendary characters in Korean cinema. It was an honor to receive such treatment from him."

Previously, Ahn Jae Hong received praise for his role as Son Beom Soo in the JTBC drama Be Melodramatic, where he formed a sweet romance with Chun Woo Hee's character. He also demonstrated a high degree of synchronization with the actual coach, Kang Yang Hyun, in the movie Rebound, based on a true story, showcasing both acting and appearance that matched with his character.

In Mask Girl, Ahn Jae Hong not only embodied the appearance but also immersed himself in the character of a Japanese culture-obsessed man in his thirties. In particular, the scene where he confesses to Kim Mo Mi (played by Lee Han Byeol) was considered a highlight of Mask Girl, and his ad-lib where he said "Aishiteru" (Japanese for "I love you") instead of "Saranghaeyo" (Korean for "I love you") in that scene surprised many.

eYloYE_2f.jpg

Viewers of the drama praised Ahn Jae Hong's acting, saying, "Is this Ahn Jae Hong's retirement project?" and "Is he an otaku?" They commended his acting synchronization regarding dialogue, chemistry, and gaze with Joo Oh Nam.

Director Kim Yong Hoon spoke about the character Joo Oh Nam during the Mask Girl press conference, saying, 

"In the original work, Joo Oh Nam is a character who embodies all the uncomfortable elements, and I thought the actors should counteract that. Only one person came to mind when considering who could do it."

He explained, "After casting, the concern was that he's too likable. As Joo Oh Nam's interaction with Kim Mo Mi became more significant, the makeup director provided many ideas, and we were able to create a compelling character through the power of special makeup."

Ahn Jae Hong's performance in Mask Girl is streaming on Netflix.

https://mydramalist.com/article/ahn-jae-hong-praised-for-his-character-portrayal-in-mask-girl

• Like 2