[Drama 2021] The Red Sleeve Cuff, 옷소매 붉은 끝동

ferily

The behind the scenes for episode 11 and 12 are here. Oh my god. The puppy is so cute. Below are some translated cuts. I'll link the fully subbed BTS when it comes out.

Spoiler

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you upload more than 3 tweets in one post! Thanks!
  • Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 2

@happinessTranslation of Seyong's Allure interview! Looks like we're going to be crying the new year.   The tweet above has translations more focused on the drama-related questions. The tweet below has translations focused on her thoughts as an actress. Really admirable. She works really hard to self-improve.

Boohoohoo... I think for the PD to showcase Seyoung's and Junho's excellent acting DI has to die in the finale so that all the intense pain can be portrayed and "kill' us too in the process...IMO only :criesariver:

Mianhe @celflor

Lets hope Junho will get the daesang award at the 2021 MBC drama awards on 30 Dec. And best couple too.

Winners and nominees
  • Lee Jun-ho & Lee Se-young – The Red Sleeve.
  • Park Ha-sun & Jung Moo-sung – Moebius: The Vei.
  • Lee Min-ki & Nana – Oh My Ladylord.
  • Jung Jae-young & Moon So-ri – On the Verge of Insanity.

Above info copied and courtesy of Wikipedia

Edited by simplesim
for additional information
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Blob 1

I am loving this drama. I do know about what happened in actual history though, so I am ready for it all. What I loved about this drama especially in 11-12, is how much time they take to show things happening.

The whole Royal court scene in ep 12, was long, but it had to be long enough for them to show and explain the what the King had been going through. How much Crown Prince Sado's death affected him, how much he actually cared about Yi San, and at the same time how much he felt insecure knowing about his current health condition. It wasn't something which could be just explained and shown in few minutes. So I like the fact that this drama has got long sequences like that to portray the characters the way the writers want to. 

At the same time what blew my mind was the fact that this drama is not really a lead centric one. This drama has not been all about Yi San and Duk Im, and their romance. There are other characters and we actually got to see their side stories, they had their fair share of screen time and it was something I didn't really expect. They very properly explained head court lady Jo's side story, why she held such a grudge against the King and why she went to such extremes.

What really surprised and impressed me was their portrayal of mother-son relationship between Princess Hwanan and her adopted son (who apparently offered his life in exchange of hers being spared). How well they actually showed the final mother-son conversation and how she desperately wanted to stop him saying "Mother will save you". 

Episode 11-12 showed that this drama is not all about Yi San and Dum Ik's love story, or how he became the King. This story is about all the characters involved in this drama. It might be slow paced (compared to other Sageuks) since they are take their time in doing the character development and focus on the intercharacter-relationships, but the writing has so good that I didn't really feel the need to use FF button in the past few episodes. 

I got to say, I started this drama with some expectations which were not met in the initial few episodes, where they showed Duk Im's character to be rather insolent than free-spirited (which I believe they intended to show). But I believe the writing took a rather 180 degrees turn 4th or 5th episode onward, and became a lot better. It never failed to impress me 4th or 5th episode onward. 

I saw some comments asking why Duk Im was not asked to be Queen but a concubine. So knowing a thing or two about the Korean History I would like to share my 2 cents on it. In Joseon, I don't really remember we ever had a Queen whose marriage to King was not a political one. Except of course for Taejo (the first King) who was already married, and deeply loved his Queen.

For other Kings, I don't really remember knowing Kings who actually married the girl they loved and made her Queen. The Kings of Joseon who were known for their affection to their wives, were known to actually love their concubines/Royal consorts. Just like they already showed in this drama, the old King, King Yeongjo loved was shown to love Royal Consort Yeong (Crown Prince Sado's mom). Yi San was known to love Duk Im in RL as well. Same is known about Sukjong of Joseon (Yeongjo's father) for his love for Sukbin Choi (who was later given the title Royal Noble Consort Sukbin Choi), who was a lowly water maid before in the palace. 

The official marriages of the Kings and the selection of Queen was always a political marriage, and the faction the Queen actually belonged to would have a lot of power. The King would sometimes even select the Queen in order to maintain the power balance between the both factions. Most of the Kings of Joseon, being sons of concubine/Royal consort would actually be adopted by the Queen before they were selected as Crown Prince mostly in order to legitimize their selection.

In Joseon the actual power was always in the hands of ministers and not the King actually. Which meant that King wouldn't really be able to do whatever he wanted to. So even if Yi San wanted to select Duk Im as his Queen, he eventually wouldn't be able to do it, because the minister would never approve her as their Queen. I got to say, it wasn't really easy to be a King back then in Joseon. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4

3 hours ago, Sianna said:

Does anyone know if international fans can vote for MBC's best couple award for 2021?  If so, where can we find the site to vote?  I desperately want to vote for our Se Young and Jun Ho.  

I think we the international fans can vote. The link:

Voting for best couple for MBC drama awards opened up:

https://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/template/2021mbc/drama/bestcouple/?s=09

• Like 5

Really want them to reach 15 percent so we can see all the ratings pledges get fulfilled, but airing so late is probably not going to be beneficial. The post-production team must be working a lot considering those back to back episodes that need editing too.

Below are the subbed NG scenes and episode 11-12 bts by the respective fansubbers:

Spoiler

New stills of Hong Deok-ro:

Spoiler

• Love 3
  • Thanks 1

im happy to get the episodes sooner but I am curious why they are airing everything so fast you would think since ratings has been gradually increasing they'd air it slower to maximize their profits Did Mbc already have a schedule set up that they couldn't change hopefully this wont effect the quality of the episodes 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Ep. 16 & 17 will air consecutively on January 1st.  Why????? 

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/109/0004530149

tracer will be aired on 1/7. mbc has to finish airing this drama no matter what. think they have quite a bit of good dramas lining up early next year, like dr. lawyer by sjb and tomorrow! guess they have to stick to their schedules! there is kbs entertainment awards on that night so they have to do their best to avoid a low rating on that night.

found this info on another soompi forum...

MBC
3/4 #Tomorrow KimHeeSun Rowoon LeeSooHyuk
4/29 #DrLawyer SoJiSub LimSooHyang ShinSungRok pic.twitter.com/wAiKi8pkqH

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Preview pics. Would be kind of funny if Taeho interrupted this moment asking for that drink that San owes him for saving his life. 

G3's Christmas greetings and reminder to tune in to change in airing schedule:

Spoiler

Behind the scenes look at the making of the OST when San was given the seal:

Spoiler

Alternate subtitles for ep 11-12 behind the scenes:

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SJW said:

tracer will be aired on 1/7. mbc has to finish airing this drama no matter what.

What I meant was they could have aired one on 31st Friday and the finale episode on the 1st of January.  There might be ratings problem if aired on a single day consecutively. 

Spoiler cr:@yuuru0911 :what!:

Spoiler

a clear scent of alcohol. their lips were about to touch. driven by the heat emitted by the man's body, she closed her eyes. but there was nothing more than that. when she opened her eyes, the king had buried his face in her lap. she felt like she was being teased. #theredsleeveKdrama_TheRedSleeve_2021.png

Don't get your hopes high from the preview pics, hehe!!!! 

22 minutes ago, happiness said:

Junho's insta story update:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the clip. I miss San's smile.  Even doing a "fun" thing, not even a twitch...:dissapointed:

Especially since he became King, he is so cool and "cold" towards Deok Im. Even his proposal was so cool.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, simplesim said:

Thanks for the clip. I miss San's smile.  Even doing a "fun" thing, not even a twitch...:dissapointed:

Especially since he became King, he is so cool and "cold" towards Deok Im. Even his proposal was so cool.

Now that you say that...I was laughing at that scene because it reminded me of her previous rock throwing scene, but now I'm just thinking about how things have changed, and they probably won't be as openly happy and smiling as before :bawling: 

Eng subs for the pre-release clip:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, happiness said:

Now that you say that...I was laughing at that scene because it reminded me of her previous rock throwing scene, but now I'm just thinking about how things have changed, and they probably won't be as openly happy and smiling as before :bawling: 

Eng subs for the pre-release clip:

Woohoo... am excited and hopeful after the eng subs. Gomawo

Hehehe... @happiness we may get a smile or more like a smirk after His majesty wins the game against DI. :tounge_wink:

• Like 3
  • Blob 1