[Drama 2022] The King of Pigs, 돼지의 왕

larus

Spoiler
Spoiler

I hope this would be the end, because it makes sense. They have death signs on their backs... 

Well, at least I've got the ending that is satisfying. Sad, but satisfying. And that shot from the rooftop... That's probably the closure to their lives that couldn't end in any other way after the story we saw in the series. 

Great show, great cast, great work of the stuff. Hope they'll get rewards, they deserve it. 

Now I'm going to

Spoiler

be quietly crying over that last path of JJS - before this it didn't hit as much, but when they were all crying and that funeral cortege at the end as a closing before the scene from the past during that school trip. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

On 4/17/2022 at 5:13 AM, Idylla Kaizoku said:

Oh, that would explain that odd feeling I sometimes have, when her storyline intervene with plots of other characters. Like it was somewhat unnecessary, or a bit of afterthought. Hence, her trips anywhere but to the place her teammates are. 

On the other hand, it's hard to incorporate an original character into the tightly planned plot, with a lot of foreshadowing and jumping between the past and the present. Also, she is a well-written character, it's her actions that makes it harder to explain and accept.

When I think of it, there was a moment that I couldn't explain at the time. When we've got those information about Kim Cheol's father, I can finally see why the teacher was acting odd when Kang Min's father slapped Kim Cheol. Until now I've thought it was just the fact that he isn't found of violence, whatever he had done to student was more psychological and verbal than purely physical. It doesn't mean to leave less harm, contrary it was probably even worse (to be betrayed by an adult), but he still didn't use it on his students, and was there everytime to stop the fight (yeah, to not get on there wrong side of Kang Min's father). 

Now, though, I can see that maybe it was because of who Kim Cheol was, or who his father was. Interesting, such a small detail, but adds a bit of flavor to this side story.

How many of them there is that has similar purpose? Probably it'll be a good idea to rewatch the drama to find more of them with the final result and all pieces at hand. 

Did you see it with Subs? I am going crazy waiting ugh...

Sorry about the double post.  That was just WOW!!! I need to get ahold of myself. Get some more buckets to fill with my burning tears and comment later. Amazing drama

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

Can’t believe it’s already the finale! I am used to the quality of thrillers dropping towards the end because the “twists” are never as good as you expect them to be, but not this one! Wow. Everything came together, and the fast pacing was maintained until the end. 

So this is the first time I’ve seen a show or mini-series
Spoiler

turn on its protagonist this close to the end… This drama has 100% upended traditional notions of hero vs. villain. I love it. Of course it's done in movies but it’s risky to do this in a drama because the audience has already followed this character for so long. Incredible. Now I feel like a big fool for thinking that as a main character, JJS couldn’t have actually gone through with killing Cheol. I liked that JJS didn’t completely flip a switch after the reveal and start acting more ~evil~? He was mostly the same. 

The acting by the 2 leads in KSK and KDW is incredible (I can’t believe KSK hasn’t had more big roles?) The
Spoiler

confrontation in the classroom then of course the roof. The way JJS’ eyes widened as he said “ah-nee” after he rhetorically asked if HKM thought the world was going to get better. Oof...

I staved off on crying even through *that* scene, but the director finally got me just before the credits rolled
Spoiler

, with that kids’ field trip scene… Here I go crying again lol… The contrast to the deaths just before is harrowing. These were just innocent children.

(Full disclosure, one of my favorite books as a kid was To Kill A Mockingbird, so I love finding corruption of innocence as a theme in everything lol.) This director is so good… 

The cinematography is also fantastic. The chaotic camera movement
Spoiler

in shooting the men in pig masks scrambling for evidence with the teacher pleading for help for on the phone, juxtaposed against the uniformed children on the same field. Wow. Then the shot of JJS and HKM dead on the ground fading into the kid versions of themselves laughing and laying in the same position... Also loved the scenic shots as the convoy with HKM is making its way to Wooji Mountain — suspenseful but beautiful. 

I do have a gripe though, that the scriptwriter
Spoiler

did my fave Chae Jung An dirty. Even after the reveal that JJS did kill Cheol, KJA’s actions continue to make no sense to me… Just when I thought they redeemed her for me, she points her gun at JJS… What was the point of this empty threat? Obviously she wasn’t reaaally going to shoot him. He already had it in him to kill his dear friend as a child, how was she going to persuade him from killing HKM now? Also, her pleading with Park Sung-Jin to save HKM made little sense to me. If she wanted him to save HKM, all she had to do was tell Park Sung-Jin JJS was trying to kill his depyunim. Instead, she said all this pointless stuff about his niece and “tragedy”…? If Park Sung-Jin no longer cared about his depyunim because their deal was finished, then why would he care about “tragedy”? Wouldn’t her niece know her uncle only did this because that was the only way he could pay for her medical care? Lastly, why have KJA there at all on the rooftop? She was there for what felt like a whole minute, but she didn't try to stop them from falling? She *just* said she didn’t want any more tragic deaths. I guess maybe she didn’t have enough time to stop them…

I just wish they were more thoughtful about writing KJA. Chae Jung An did a wonderful job with what she was given though!

The only thing I didn’t fully get was why did HKM
Spoiler

turn himself in? Was his original plan to reveal all and then let the court system punish JJS?

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2022] The King of Pigs, 돼지의 왕
Spoiler
Spoiler

Now I feel like a big fool for thinking that as a main character, JJS couldn’t have actually gone through with killing Cheol.

I must admit I would be disappointed if it'd went any other way. JJS was passively violent since the beginning when the bullying started (for some reason I have in mind the scene when he scared a stray cat in episode two, or three, after he first experienced how classmates treated HKM). It stuck in my head this whole time, and then there was that in abandoned storage, when JJS doesn't have doubts about stubbing the cat. It gives a small warning of his dark side, so when the time comes i wasn't that... unbelievable (my doubts where more of the nature that it was the one-eighty between one fairy happy scene and the one that ruined everything). I like how they build the whole turning during the entire show, not just... suddenly playing the change out of nowhere. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I liked that JJS didn’t completely flip a switch after the reveal and start acting more ~evil~? He was mostly the same. 

That usually gets me in dramas. Why the character that has that change is suddenly the different person? Aside of mental issues, I can't get it. You can make a bad thing without it. That's something that always disappoints me in dramas - "evil people" must act crazy to show viewers how bad they really are. 

Here we have the continuity of JJS character's... thing. 

Let's face it. JJS was the boy with the most stable, happy environment one could give a child. Kim Cheol has it bad (financially, and an absent father), HKM has the domestic violence history and bullyies on his back for a year before the story begins. But it was this boy with both parents, and happy memories, that killed in the end. JJS was the closest to be called a "normal teenager" and yet... This goes the same with the adult JJS he was the last one who could be suspected of being the murder. Even if we have KJA straight out making him a suspect (in her head). Until the very end it was still this seed of doubt. It the biggest strength of this drama, showing this unassuming reality of being bullied. Not the fact that a child from troubled family, but the one that got fairy happy childhood. It's the important message, too. To me at least. 

I'm very impressed with you g actors, it's rare to have so good flashbacks, or feels the connections between the two timelines. But I think the both male leads gets the show to this point when viewers cheer for them, even knowing all of it. 

They both appear in interesting projects, hope they continue this trend, because if a very satisfying to watch them on screen. 

Spoiler

, with that kids’ field trip scene… Here I go crying again lol 

I had this moment of... sad Realisation watching Kang Min and Ah Jung Hee talking on the bench. They future was clear at this point and seeing him as teenagers with the knowledge of what will happen to them... It just hit me with feelings back then, don't know why them specifically, it's hard to explain. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

turn himself in? Was his original plan to reveal all and then let the court system punish JJS?

I must admit I didn't actually get how a suicide note and a diary of a serial murder could be an evidence of a crime at times. I suspected it must be a confession otherwise it's very unlikely that anyone could find a man with mental issues more credible that a police officer, especially if said man was the only witness. It couldn't hold in court, so this plan was solemnly based on JJS confession...

And I still think that HKM had done this for them both, or for all three of them. Like saying: there is no place for as after what happened; we have that few years of pretending, but there is no future for us; the world is just not our anymore, it die that day on the rooftop (it might be a bit much, but in some part it's probably true).

If someone has doubts if this is worth watching, I can tell it is very much worth. Hard at times, but definitely satisfying in a way we'll told and made story leaves the audience. 

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

I´m waiting for the subs to last two episodes. But I have to say this is one of the best k-thrillers that I have watched awhile.  

This is gore and sometimes bit hard to watch but then again that is the reason I like these kind of dramas and not rom-coms. 

I really love the young actors. specially the actor who is playing Cheol.  

• Like 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Ugh this is in my top 2 this year and top 3 favorite k-dramas all time… It’s one of those dramas that you can rewatch to catch all the clues and the symbolisms. They should probably teach this one in film school. I read that Netflix has been struggling to grow subscribers outside of APAC. I can see why, if they’re turning down great projects like this... 

8 hours ago, Idylla Kaizoku said:
Spoiler

Let's face it. JJS was the boy with the most stable, happy environment one could give a child. Kim Cheol has it bad (financially, and an absent father), HKM has the domestic violence history and bullyies on his back for a year before the story begins. But it was this boy with both parents, and happy memories, that killed in the end. JJS was the closest to be called a "normal teenager" and yet... This goes the same with the adult JJS he was the last one who could be suspected of being the murder. Even if we have KJA straight out making him a suspect (in her head). Until the very end it was still this seed of doubt. It the biggest strength of this drama, showing this unassuming reality of being bullied. Not the fact that a child from troubled family, but the one that got fairy happy childhood. It's the important message, too. To me at least. 

Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. That's brilliant. JJS did say

Spoiler

how he was the one to first help HKM. 

Spoiler

I must admit I would be disappointed if it'd went any other way. 

So well said! The clues were always there
Spoiler

with JJS (I was choosing to ignore them because I wanted to believe in old TV conventions lol). I rewatched the last half of ep 10, and there were so many subtle clues as well that JJS wanted to give up/he didn’t really want to kill again. He let Park Sung-Jin take the handcuff keys out of him even though he still had his gun, he could have immediately tried to shoot HKM in the classroom but he didn’t, then he wasted his last 3 bullets shooting the hallway aimlessly on the way up to the roof (they deliberately showed us that he was only issued 6 bullets in total). Lastly, of course, he couldn’t keep up the pressure to keep the chokehold on HKM by the end. 

The details are just so nice here. I hope the director, editors, and producers will get the credit they deserve. Only the outline of the plot came from the original movie, but everything else is their own. 

1 hour ago, joccu said:

I really love the young actors. specially the actor who is playing Cheol.  

Agreed!! (Spoilers below!) I think Cheol is the only character that the audience can truly
Spoiler

root for, guilt-free. My heart sank to my stomach as Cheol was saying he’d regret committing suicide while still having these good friends. Then once again when he said he wanted them to have a smiling photo of him so they wouldn’t be traumatized (ugh)...

The way Cheol speaks and acts, not to mention the social philosophy he was teaching his friends, feels like something from an old man, not a literal 10 year old. I guess that’s the point, however, to show us how much life experience he’s already had given his family situation. 

Spoiler

I must admit I didn't actually get how a suicide note and a diary of a serial murder could be an evidence of a crime at times. I suspected it must be a confession otherwise it's very unlikely that anyone could find a man with mental issues more credible that a police officer, especially if said man was the only witness. It couldn't hold in court, so this plan was solemnly based on JJS confession...

I totally agree. That was not enough
Spoiler

, and the witness has credibility issues given his criminal history… He'd need JJS to confess. 

Also, KDW’s expression as
Spoiler

he was hanging off the edge, that was haunting… I don’t know how he was able to make only one of his eyes bloodshot red. I really can’t unsee that expression… 

Also, a fun interview with the leads. It's subbed in English inside the video just have to turn on cc. 

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

3 hours ago, dramachaserxoxo said:

Also, a fun interview with the leads. It's subbed in English inside the video just have to turn on cc. 

They're all have fun in that nice way of having a good company. I enjoyed it, thanks for the link. 

:bashful:

I read that Netflix has been struggling to grow subscribers outside of APAC. I can see why, if they’re turning down great projects like this...

Yes, sometimes they decide to invest into weird projects... But maybe it's better for the drama to not have the pressure of Netflix, they could work more freely on their vision which turned out to be the piece of brilliant work.

I think Cheol is the only character that the audience can truly

Yes, I think in one way or another the rest of characters have some small moments of sympathy (or pity) and every time this thought appeared I reminded myself that they did something wrong now or in the past. Only Kim Cheol is an exception. And I think it's double sad realization why exactly. That drama will stay with me for sometime now, I'll definitely come back. 

The way Cheol speaks and acts, not to mention the social philosophy he was teaching his friends, feels like something from an old man, not a literal 10 year old.

Old soul in young body, it can only happen with a lot of emotional package from (mostly) bad life experiences. 

Spoiler

(I was choosing to ignore them because I wanted to believe in old TV conventions lol)

Yes, me too. I could be easier to swallow, but the story was too neatly plotted to let it happen. Well constructed and misguiding at times. 

(I'm still not over it).

:emmm:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

So heartbreaking yet strangely beautiful. That ending was a gut punch. A twisted bond between them in the end but so precious when it began.  Those kids have stolen, no ripped my heart out of my chest. The haunting soundtrack, ugh can't stop crying.

• Sad 4

51 minutes ago, GingerK said:

That ending was a gut punch.

I think it was suggested since the beginning of the show in between lines (or I'm actually seeing to much parallels with other drama, or more accurate it's Japanese adaptation). 

HKM lost his wife, the anchor in his adult life; his father - a connection with his past and the burden carried through his life; even his mother was only an episodic character, which suggested she wasn't that... important anymore. There is no one to hold him in the present. He was left with nothing beside revenge. Usually it's a strong sign of the certain ending the character is heading. 

On the other side we have a single man, and a police officer, who's parents weren't shown in the present even once. His only friends are other detectives, no life outside the job, with a strong tendency to recklessness. It's also a predicament for the less happy ending. 

If we add to this the subject and the often tragic consequences gauting it, the ending is basically told just in the first two, three episodes (but misguiding plot points make it vague enough to not... see them for what it is). 

(I know it's not the point of your statement, but I'm probably still processing the final).

:sweats:

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

Finally saw the last two episodes. 

I kind of saw the ending even before I really saw it.  this was really brilliant but gore drama. 

@Idylla Kaizoku  well at first I thought that king was Cheol. But maybe it was all three boys. Or it was meant as metaphor.

• Like 2

First of.. thank you TVING for the high quality thriller mystery drama. I'm glad it's not on Neftlix. They were able to show brutal honesty of bullying scenes.

Slow clapping for the  younger version actors  gave standout acting!  Kim Sung Kyu and Kim Dong Wook too.

Credit to writer and director and cinematogrpaher especially of the flashback. It was done the right way.

This is really good drama sans model like popular type actors and without the special effects or zombies.

Social commentary present in this drama. The reality of what happens to victim of bullying is shown. You cannot forget the suffering and trauma from being bullied at young age. It lives with you and if grow up up in an environment lacking in comfort and nurture and mental stability, that person will be ticking time about to explode.

Another  exceptional drama with good acting. After Monster/Beyondf Evil (2021),  One Ordinary Day (2021-22). Through The Darkness (2022)  and now this Ths King of Pigs drama joins the two other for good crime, mystery thrller genre  watching.

Terrific young actors below

Thumbs up to ending!

After two final episodes 11 and 12 Jong Suk wanted that idea of Cheolie as ther "god" as their "saviour" as their leader.  By commiting public suicide cheol would show he will no become the pig that  will give his flesh to the dogs. He will make each the bullies pay for what they did and will make them tremble with fear every time they think of him.

But Cheo change his mind.. and Jong Suk thought by doing that, it will just repeat the cycle of bullying. That it will be meaningless. But he thought with Cheol's death all his affirmnation of how th situation will reverse. They will no longer become the pigs that is fed to the dogs.  That's why he wanted Cheol's death.

Jong Suk questioned Cheol about the change of mind. He didn't buy the reason but he went with it though but you can see the hesitation of Cheol's request to him. In his mind, he's thinking.. yes you're doing public show of trying to commit sucide but then what?  Even if Cheol assured Jong Suk it will stop the bullying, that they will not be touch anymore, that the pig will be afraid and think twice (ep 8 part of the eplaining why he wanted to die).  They can move on they'll become policemen and ven ask Jong Suk to join him.  But Jong Suk mindset is not same as Kyung Min. The latter is always... lets tough it it 2 more years and will get out of the  nighmare .. type of suffering.

He pushed Cheol for the reasons of why Cheol want to die. Simply put It will be catalyst that wil stop their suffering from the bullies.

Jong Suk wanted to forget about this. Go on with their lives. Become policeman. For Kyung Mim  the sexual molestation and physical abuse stayed with him. He punished each and everyone without hesitation.

The ending. I like it. Both died becoming pigs in order to stop beoming the fed dogs of society.

And the fact the last scene was thet field trip and we get to see how they first met Cheol. And the smiles! And the photograph. Barely.. never saw them smile throughout episodeS 1 to 12. Field trip scene is genuine friendship smile.

FRMkaHhVcAArAXI?format=jpg&name=small

The drama choices I watch has never failed me.  I'm glad I watch this. high quality drama with good acting.

@larus thanks for creating. I woudn't know abou if not for thr thread

Drama trivia. Did you know...Kim Sung Kyu  character died as prsoner in his previous drama.  In this drama, his character dies as a policeman. I actually prefer his character in One Ordinary Day.

The 12 episodes for this drama is just about right.  I want to the the actor who played Cheol  is Choi Hyun Jin. I check his  credentials. He's been in some good dramas (Mine, Taxi Driver, Awaken, Hyena)

Imagine him and Tang Jung San, Seo Young Joo in a well written youth drama! we'll see good acting.

Want to at least share the younger version actors cast in this drama. Good job. And they're really teens in real life. Not like older actors trying to be a teen in a drama. Notice most of them on good dramas.   Future's bright for these young actors.

14  yr Choi Hyun Jin  = Cheol

15 yr old Shin Yun Seo = Jong Suk

16 yr old Lee Chan Yoo = Kyung Min

The teen bullies

15 yr old Kang Jee Seok = Chan Young

16 yr old Moon Sung Hyun = Kang Min

16 Seo Seung Hwan = Jung Hee

18 Kim Hyun-Bin = Jong Bin  ( he was that child in 2016 signal)

Credit to Asinwikiif you want to see  faces who is who

Sin Seok Middle School: Past

Spoiler

Choi Hyun-Jin Lee Chan-Yoo Shim Hyun-Seo The King of Pigs-Moon Sung-Hyun1.jpg Song Seung-Hwan
Choi Hyun-Jin Lee Chan-Yoo Shim Hyun-Seo Moon Sung-Hyun Song Seung-Hwan
Kim Cheol Hwang Kyung-Min (teen) Jung Jong-Suk (teen) Kang-Min (teen) Ahn Jung-Hee (teen)

The King of Pigs-Lee Kyoung-Young.jpg Kang Jee-Seok Kim Wan-Kyu Eun Ye-Jun Jang Dae-Woong
Lee Kyoung-Young Kang Jee-Seok Kim Wan-Kyu Eun Ye-Jun Jang Dae-Woong
Teacher Choi Suk-Ki Park Chan-Young (teen) Lee Ki-Won (teen) Jae-Woo (teen) Choi Sung-Kyu

Kim Hyun-Bin Lee Joon-Ha Jang Ho-Joon
Kim Hyun-Bin Lee Joon-Ha Jang Ho-Joon
Kim Jong-Bin Jung-Soo 3rd year student

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, joccu said:

Or it was meant as metaphor.

What kind of metaphor? Could you say more how you understand it? 

1 hour ago, jongski said:

Social commentary present in this drama.

It's pretty complex here, truly. Not only the scars left on the body and mind, but also the process of degradation. As a human being, both directly by the hand of offenders and by overwhelmed mind of a teenager.

WeWe have a life of bullies with suggestions of some of their backgrounds, we have victims of school abuse, who grown up into adults only because they used the defending mechanism to copy with the reality (yet it only lasts so long).  We have a  teacher and a father who corrupts children instead of supporting them. We have a helpless mothers whose trying to survive and rise their sons. We have a wide range of situations and outcomes, the small things that makes a person snap, or the big thing that didn't still push a teenager to the worst.

It's very complex and it depends on the perspective we choose, we can see the small cracks in the image of violence, or a stiffening conviction that the situation can be better in the future. It's all presented in the form of a gripping thriller. 

• Like 1