[Movie] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young

Ephoenix

July 6, 2023

‘Concrete Utopia’ more black comedy than disaster flick

By Kim Da-sol

Screenshot_2023-07-06_at_9.43.40_PM.png

Actor Lee Byung-hun of “Concrete Utopia” speaks during a press conference held at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University, Seoul, Wednesday. (Yonhap)

Six years after “Vanishing Time: A Boy Who Returned,” director Um Tae-hwa returns with disaster thriller “Concrete Utopia,” in which home turns hostile for a group of apartment dwellers.

The movie is based on the second part of a webtoon about an earthquake and its aftermath, “Pleasant Neighbor.”

Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young star as few residents of Hwang Gung Apartments in the devastated city. Lee plays Young-tak, a leader among the residents, Park Seo-joon as Min-seong who supports Young-tak and Park Bo-young as Min-seong’s wife.

“I was attracted to the original story’s unique background set in an apartment where many of us live and spend so much time. It was fun for me to imagine how a familiar place can turn extremely dangerous,” Um said during a press conference at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University in Seoul on Wednesday.

Lee Byung-hun, who has starred in several disaster thrillers, said this movie was about more than just surviving a disaster.

“In a typical disaster film, the main plot revolves around the disaster. This film, however, delves more into how residents cope with the disaster and how they communicate in an extreme environment,” said Lee, adding that the film was more like a black comedy.

“Just by looking at the people living in the apartment, there are so many different types of people. So the main plot begins with a disaster but the film shows more than that, and that’s why I chose to appear in this movie even after working on disaster thriller films like ‘Ashfall’ and ‘Emergency Declaration,’” said Lee.

Screenshot_2023-07-06_at_9.43.53_PM.png

Actors Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young of “Concrete Utopia” speak during a press conference held in Lotte Cinema Konkuk University, Seoul, Wednesday. (Yonhap)

Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young said the biggest reason for choosing “Concrete Utopia” was the cast.

“Not just because I wanted to show different a aspect of my acting spectrum, I’ve been a huge fan of Lee and I’ve always wanted the chance to do a project with him,” Park told reporters, adding that he reached out to the director first even before the project was suggested to him.

“Concrete Utopia” is also Park Bo-young’s first film in five years.

“I read the scenario and told my agency that I have to do this project. I really wanted this project because the movie was something that I can show different acting compared to my previous ones,” Park said, adding that she also asked to be part of the project.

The production staff took five months to build a life-sized three-story apartment building that showed the reality of a damaged apartment in a devastated city.

“It was important for me to add reality to the film sets. It took two years for the computer graphics team to study the geography of Seoul and apply it to the CG work,” said director Um.

“Because every detail is well-depicted in the film sets, all I had to do was immerse myself into the setting and just act,” said Park Seo-joon.

Kim Sun-young (“Reply 1988,” “Crash Landing On You”) and Park Ji-hou (“All of Us Are Dead”) and Kim Do-yoon (“Hellbound”) also star as residents of Hwang Gung Apartment.

With the tent-pole film slated for a summer opening, the actors encouraged people to watch “Concrete Utopia” at the cinema to get the most out of the film’s overwhelming sound and visual effects.

While the exact date has not been confirmed, “Concrete Utopia” opens in local theaters in August. The movie is set to be shown in 152 countries.

Screenshot_2023-07-06_at_9.45.00_PM.png

"Concrete Utopia" (Lotte Entertainment)

Source: https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20230621000593&ACE_SEARCH=1

• Thanks 1

July 16, 2023

Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon and Park Bo Young appeared in MBC show, “Let’s go video travel” for the interview to promote Concrete Utopia. 

FC2452-A0-5-AF4-4-F6-A-8562-678-BDA53628

Thank you so much @Anjalifairy for these English translations. You really are the savior. :heart:

Spoiler

Full interview link: 

Rest of the translations for the interview are on the thread of tweet I shared above. I’ll do the translations of few missing here which weren’t a repetitive question from before. 

Q: Does the slight collapse/crumble in the title signify something? Of course it’s concrete Utopia, but I’m wondering would there be a situation where things collapse and falls apart unlike an apartment that stands firmly like that? 

PBY: Oh… you are sharp! Yes, on the surface its as solid as concrete, and it looks like that, but it collapses little by little in very corner, and cracks may not necessarily refer to only the apartment. 

Last Q: Is there a surprising twist of impression you felt after working together? 

PBY: I used to think LBH sunbaenim is a scary person, but found out he is someone who is very fun to be around, and someone who is good at making jokes. 

PSJ: Once in a while, he joked around, and I thought his jokes are really my type. I am like, whoa…how can he say it like that? 

LBH: Ah…. So you're also high gag type? (Note: It means high level gag. Its not the degree of laughter is high. It means a gag that can be understood only when the level is high. lol) 

Interviewer to LBH: You’re showing a very satisfied smile in today’s interview.

LBH: (Admitting) I mean he is a lot sophisticated than I thought he was. (PSJ’s reaction lol)  

This was such a fun interview. LBH was just sitting there calmly and quietly smiling watching those two, and chipping in here and there. I sound like a broken record by now but their chemistry is really on another level. LBH and PSJ tiki-taka were the best and highlight of the interview and PBY is always as lovely as ever and really honest too. PSJ’s comeback to LBH’s jokes were perfect. Even LBH seemed so amused and surprised especially during the Dir. LBH joke part.(I bet he wasn’t prepared for that. Lol) And also proud that there’s someone who actually understands and loves his sophisticated jokes and even has a talent to make one. 

Also, that detail on the Korean letter of CU was genius. Now that I realize they’ve always been written far apart, and fragments of those letters seemed to have fallen apart as well. Who knew it also had a hidden meaning and symbolizes their relationship dynamics in the movie. Simply fantastic. 

Now, on the next we have Jae Jae Interview for MMTG to look forward to. There is already been a buzz about that because of the released preview. It looks fun and LBH seemed chill and funny too. 

July 18, 2023

뉴스1

A three-story apartment set of "Concrete Utopia" and 150 people are dressed up...It's so realistic. 

0006937228-001-20230719082209675.jpg

"Concrete Utopia" attracts attention with its high-quality production.

"Concrete Utopia," which will be released on August 9, is a disaster movie about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering. The film draws attention as a production that will catch the eyes and ears of the audience.

According to distributor Lotte Entertainment, the production crew maximized the audience's immersion by building a three-story set of actual apartments to realize the realistic scale of the apartment, the main space of the movie. In addition, the outside blocked natural light and used low-bright lighting to express the coldness of Seoul, which was devastated by the earthquake, while the interior created a cool atmosphere by sharply maintaining battery-based lighting. In particular, as Cho Hyung-rae, the director of the filming, said, "There were moments when the actors' performances were so good that there was a close-up contrary to the plan," it is expected to show the actors' brilliant passion that captures the emotional lines of the characters in extreme situations.

In addition, the detailed makeup in "Concrete Utopia" will double the immersion of the play, as Song Jong-hee, the director of the makeup, said, "We put our heart and soul into the makeup that each character's drama can change as the disaster drags on."The skin tone was expressed in three stages to maximize the feeling of the character getting rougher over time, and delicate work was repeated, such as realizing dust caused by disasters by mixing soybean powder and tea mushroom powder. In particular, 150 people, including not only major characters but also apartment residents and outsiders, were dressed up over a long period of time to overwhelm the screen.

Finally, it is expected that the rapidly changing situation and dramatic emotions that take place inside and outside the palace apartment will be further heightened through various instruments, including string instruments, percussion instruments, organ, and synthesizers.In particular, various music genres that fill the works, including familiar classical music, are expected to add special colors to the movie. "Concrete Utopia," which raises expectations with production that focuses on detail, is expected to attract the audience with stories and scales that have never been seen before.

"Concrete Utopia," a new adaptation based on the second part "Cheerful Neighbors" of Kim Soo-nung's popular webtoon "Cheerful Bullying," which has been well-received since its serialization in 2014, will be released in theaters on August 9.

Source: Here 

July 20, 2023 

JTBC

Concrete Utopia" going overseas, invited to the Sitges and Hawaii Film Festival.

0000352140_001_20230721074601664.jpg?type=w430원본보기

A powerful utopia that will captivate the world unfolds.

The movie "Concrete Utopia (directed by Um Tae-hwa)" is receiving official invitations from leading film festivals, including the 56th Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival and the 43rd Hawaii International Film Festival.

At the Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival, the largest genre film festival to be held from October 5 to 15, it was invited to the Òrbita section of the competition section. The Sitges International Fantastic Film Festival, which will be held in Spain, is one of the world's top three fantastic film festivals along with the Brussels Fantastic Film Festival and the Portuguese Fantastic Film Festival. The Òrbita section is a competition in which various genres of movies such as action, thriller, and black comedy compete.

A Spanish distributor of 'Concrete Utopia' said, "I was fascinated by 'Concrete Utopia'. It breaks the boundaries of disaster movies and reveals the deep inside of humans.It not only entertains the audience, but also gives an indelible lingering impression to the audience leaving the movie theater, asking the question, "What will I do in this situation?"You can expect the excitement and emotion of a special cinematic experience," he said.

At the Hawaii International Film Festival, which opens on October 12, Concrete utopia was listed in the Spotlight On Korea section. The section was invited to screen works that were recognized for both popularity and workmanship, such as "Hunt," "Exit" (2019) and "Parasite" (2019). Anna Page, programming director of the Hawaii International Film Festival, recommended, "Concrete Utopia," which shines with the passionate performances of Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young, is a fresh disaster film and a must-see Korean film this year."

"Concrete Utopia" was previously sold in 152 countries around the world, including European countries, Asia, and South America, drawing keen attention from global theaters, and further raising expectations for its work by inviting overseas film festivals.The movie is a disaster drama about the story of Seoul, which was devastated by the earthquake, and the only remaining palace apartment, where survivors gather.It is a new adaptation based on the second part of Kim Soo-nyung's popular webtoon "Cheerful Bullying," which has been well-received since its serialization in 2014, and will be released in Korea on the 9th of next month.

source: Here 

July 21, 2023 

JTBC

Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young's "Concrete Utopia," stage greetings in Busan and Daegu before its release.

0000352282_001_20230721235001537.jpg?type=w430원본보기

You can meet "Concrete Utopia" before it is released.

The movie "Concrete Utopia (directed by Um Tae-hwa)," which is expected to meet actors Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young, will meet with the audience through stage greetings in Busan on August 5 and Daegu on August 6.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster drama about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and it is the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

The stage greeting will be attended by the main characters of the movie and will have a special time with the audience who have paid keen attention to the movie even before its release.On August 5, Actor Lee Byung-hun, Park Bo-young, Kim Do-yoon, and Director Uhm Tae-hwa will visit Lotte Cinema Busan headquarters, CGV Seomyeon, Lotte Cinema Seomyeon, CGV Centum City, and Lotte Cinema Centum City, starting with the liberation of Lotte Cinema.

The next day, on August 6, Actor Lee Byung-hun, Park Bo-young, Kim Do-yoon, and Director Um Tae-hwa will continue to communicate with Daegu audiences at CGV Daegu Stadium, Lotte Cinema Daegu Yulha, CGV Daegu Academy, Lotte Cinema Dongseong-ro, and Megabox Daegu Shinsegae.As such, the movie "Concrete Utopia," which is raising audience expectations by confirming stage appointments in Busan and Daegu on the weekend before its release, will heat up theaters in August with intense synergy of vivid characters and differentiated cinematic experiences.

"Concrete Utopia," a new adaptation based on the second part of Kim Soo-nung's popular webtoon "Cheerful Bullying," which has been well-received since its serialization in 2014, has confirmed its theatrical release on August 9.

Source : Here 

July 24, 2023 

FINALLY!!!! :issohappy:

TIFF 2023 announces 60 films in first wave of Galas and Special Presentations

Screenshot-20230724-150438-Chrome.jpg

TORONTO — TIFF is thrilled to announce 60 official selections in the Gala and Special Presentations programmes for this year’s Festival, with films representing 70 countries from around the world, shining the spotlight on imaginative storytelling, exceptional performances, and out-of-the-box filmmaking. The first wave of the 2023 Official Selection features 37 World Premieres, 7 International Premieres, 12 North American Premieres, and 4 Canadian Premieres.

"This year’s Galas & Special Presentations showcase a rich tapestry of talent, vision, and storytelling,” said Cameron Bailey, CEO, TIFF. “From thought-provoking narratives to breathtaking visuals and stories so unreal they have to be real, each work embodies the power of cinema to inspire, challenge, and move audiences. Get ready to experience an unforgettable celebration of film and a memorable and star-studded festival, showcasing the best of global cinema for film lovers in September."

GALA PRESENTATIONS 2023

* Previously announced

Concrete Utopia Um Tae-Hwa | South Korea
North American Premiere
Sales Title - North America Rights Available

source : Here here 

July 24, 2023

OSEN

'Concrete Utopia' Director Um Tae-hwa holds a special GV with his teacher Director  Park Chan-wook.

0004894637_001_20230725082702607.jpg?type=w430View SourcVie

This summer's most anticipated movie Concrete Utopia (director Um Tae-hwa, production climax studio, co-production BH Entertainment, distribution Lotte Entertainment), which is expected to meet Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young, will hold a special GV with director Um Tae-hwa and Park Chan-wook.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster movie about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and it is the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering. The movie "Concrete Utopia," which is expected to meet fresh materials that stimulate the cinematic imagination and realistic production, will hold a special GV with director Um Tae-hwa and director Park Chan-wook at Lotte Cinema World Tower at 7:30 p.m. on August 4.

Not only does this special GV have a special relationship with director Um Tae-hwa, who directed "Concrete Utopia," but director Park Chan-wook, who fascinated audiences around the world with his unique world of works and fascinating miseens, will spend a special time with the audience.

0004894637_002_20230725082702642.jpg?type=w430View Source

In the special GV, director Um Tae-hwa directly tells a variety of stories about the film, ranging from original stories differentiated from existing disaster films to the background of the birth of vivid productions that add immersion.On top of that, it is expected that the audience will be able to enjoy the movie more abundantly through in-depth talks with director Park Chan-wook's own sensuous gaze.

As such, "Concrete Utopia," which attracts attention by confirming a special GV with director Um Tae-hwa and director Park Chan-wook, is expected to capture the hearts of the audience this summer with high-quality attractions.

Concrete Utopia, a new adaptation based on the second part of Kim Soo-nung's popular webtoon "Cheerful Neighborhood," which has been well-received since its 2014 series, will be released in theaters on August 9 and will completely dominate theaters this summer.

:omg:

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! This is huge. I was hoping/begging Dir. PCW to be one of the people to attend VIP premiere for the movie, but I sure wasn't expecting this at all. I am beyond happy for the movie but also bit sad because only two directors are attending. And now that I think about it, Dir. Uhm Tae-Hwa has actually worked as an Assistant Director for Dir. PCW's 3 movies, "Three Extremes", "Sympathy for Lady Vengence", and "Night FiFishing. This Master and Disciple reunion to talk about the movie where LBH is starring as one of the lead is definitely not what I was expecting to happen. 

Also, I forgot to post about this news but few months back Dir. PCW had done a talk show with Netflix CEO and he had mentioned LBH in one of his answers. The question was how he handles rejection from the artists.

In response, he said, "If you are rejected, there is nothing to do. However, you shouldn't think of the rejection as a rejection of me.", he said. "For example, if you don't send the script for the next work to Lee Byung-hun just because he was rejected by Lee Byung-hun, it's a loss for me."I have to think about what is beneficial to me." 

So yeah.....manifesting for reunion continues.... :D

July 26, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA SPECIAL POSTER 

20230726-210156.jpg

This would look really cool on a tshirt. Besides the one with Young-tak sitting on a toilet, this one is my favorite. It's so atmospheric and powerful enough to make you stop and wonder "What's going on here?", regardless of whether you are a fan or not. Love this!

스포츠동아

Director Um Tae-hwa, who will face 10 million Directors, said, "Focus on disaster reality."0001065844_001_20230727063101346.jpg?type=w430

"Concrete Utopia" is the latest movie to be released among the Big Four movies.
It's the first commercial movie worth 18.9 billion won.Expectations for a different production.

Starting with "Smugglers," which was released on the 26th, the Korean film "Big Four" entered the summer box office competition.

In the summer theater's "War of Money," which was held in earnest three years after the outbreak of the infectious disease, four masterpieces with a total production cost of nearly 80 billion won will face off.There are many similarities such as colorful cast members and star directors, so attention is already focused on who will cry and who will laugh among the four films that were compared even before the release.

Above all, directors who will watch the situation with sweat in their hands are also one of the other interests.This is because it is as recognized as the actors in each film and is known as a "hit director."

Curiosity is growing about director Um Tae-hwa of "Concrete Utopia," which will be released the latest among the masterpieces.Director Um is relatively unfamiliar to the audience, unlike Ryu Seung-wan ('Veteran' · 13.41 million) if ‘Smugglers’, Kim Yong-hwa ('Along with the Gods' series · Ssangman) of 'The Moon', and Kim Sung-hoon ('Tunnel' · 7 million) of 'Unofficial Operation'.

In particular, whether Um, the first director of a large-scale commercial film, will be able to show his power through the offensive of "10 million" directors such as Ryu Seung-wan and Kim Yong-hwa is drawing attention from inside and outside the film industry.

Based on the webtoon "Cheerful Bullying," "Concrete Utopia," which will be released on August 9, depicts the survival of people who flocked to apartments that have not collapsed since the earthquake.Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon, and Park Bo-young will appear.

Director Eom made his name known in the independent film industry in 2013 through his first feature film "Ingdugi," featuring actor and younger brother Eom Tae-gu. In 2016, it introduced "Vanishing Time" with a production cost of 5.5 billion won, but it only attracted 510,000 viewers amid a lack of commerciality.

This is the first blockbuster production with a production cost of 18.9 billion won, but some expect that director Um, who has shown unusual directing skills through in-depth works, will deliver new things and fun that have not been seen in other disaster films.

The movie is even receiving love calls from leading foreign film festivals such as Sitges, Hawaii, and Toronto.In addition, director Um, a former assistant director for "Three Extremes," "Lady Vengence" and "Night fishing," is drawing attention by announcing that he will hold a special GV (conversation with the audience) of the film on August 4 with great director Park Chan-wook.

Director Eom said, "We focused the most on the reality of the disaster," adding, "It will be a movie where the ensembles of actors gather and emit energy that we have never seen anywhere else."

source: here 

Really hope this movie becomes Director UTH life’s utopia in all the good ways and reasons, and shed some light on his past works as well

July 28, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA POSTER DRAWN BY ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF THE WEBTOON KIM SOONYUNG 

20230727-230717.jpg

CONCRETE UTOPIA BREAK EVEN POINT: 4.1 MILLION 

20230728-033350.jpg

Concrete Utopia, Disaster Thriller released on August 9

Director: Uhm Tae-Hwa 'Vanishing time" 

Actors: Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young 

Distributors: Lotte Entertainment 

Production costs: 15 Billion won 

Total production costs: 22.3 Billion won 

Estimated Break even point: 4.1 Million 

July 30, 2023 

마이데일리

Lee Byung-hun X Park Seo-joon X Park Bo-young 'Concrete Utopia' and IMAX followed by 4DX screening.

202307310850116958_1_20230731085804155.jpg?type=w430원본보기

"Concrete Utopia," which is expected to meet Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-joon and Park Bo-young, has confirmed the screening of a special theater that will provide a vivid cinematic experience, raising expectations.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster drama about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and it is the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

The anticipated film "Concrete Utopia," which will have a strong impact on theaters this summer, has confirmed the screening of 4DX following IMAX, raising expectations among prospective audiences that they will be able to enjoy the movie in more diverse formats. As the explosive energy emitted by the characters at the crossroads of choice for survival and differentiated attractions that realistically embody the aftermath of the disaster, the special screening is expected to allow them to enjoy the movie more vividly and colorfully. In particular, 4DX, which is equipped with motion chairs and various effects that move according to the movie scene, will provide more fun to the audience through special cinematic experiences enjoyed with five senses.

202307310850116958_2_20230731085804162.jpg?type=w430

The IMAX poster released this time vividly shows the residents of the Imperial Palace apartment who are fiercely opposed to outsiders, raising expectations for the brilliant acting synergy of the actors who are united with the characters. The 4DX poster, which was then released, not only catches the eye with its intense visual expression of Lee Byung-hun, the new resident representative of Young-tak, but also raises expectations by signaling an unpredictable story that will begin with Young-tak, the new center of the apartment. 4DX, which can realistically experience disasters and survival in movies, will provide audiences with a richer cinematic experience by adding dynamic motion effects and colorful environmental effects.Concrete Utopia, which unveiled two special hall posters that will provide such a colorful theater experience, will leave a deep impression on the audience with the overwhelming fun of dominating the screen.

"Concrete Utopia," which has been officially invited to the Gala Presentation Section of the 48th Toronto International Film Festival, one of the world's four largest international film festivals, along with Cannes, Berlin and Venice, will be released on August 9 and will completely dominate theaters this summer.
source: here

July 31, 2023 

This has been one of the best reviews I've read of CU so far from early previews of the movie. 

The movie 'Concrete Utopia' is amazing.

Source: Extmovie 

I came out to the theater blankly as if I were watching a movie like "Mist." The story is richer and bigger than the movie.

The movie shows the history of Korea becoming an apartment republic with a cheerful montage, plays ironic music, and opens with a hellish scenery after the catastrophe. In Seoul, which was completely devastated by the earthquake, it is very intense to see only one apartment building, which is the main stage of the story.

After the powerful opening, apartment people unite to survive, reject outsiders, confront internal conflicts, etc. It stimulates interest until the end with various aspects such as human selfishness, desire to survive, and rare humanity. Characters actually do what anyone can do in such a situation, and actors perform their best acting. Even now, Koreans who cry and laugh because of apartment prices are very sympathetic to the story, which is a wonderful combination of the Post-Apocalypse survival struggle.

Although it's not much, the CG-implemented images of the earthquake are terrifying, and the art of the ruined landscapes is excellent. The powerful story that stimulates emotions without being forced, the actors' acting skills, and the director's firm directing that did not fall into commercialism while making masterpieces are at the forefront. I strongly recommend this movie, but I'm a little worried about the success because it makes me feel complicated rather than relieved after watching it. I hope it goes well.

*I do agree with the last statement of this review. Even though I love thought provoking movies, stories tackling societal issues and about dark human nature, I indeed need certain mood and time to prepare myself for those. On the other hand, when will you ever get to experience movies like that in IMAX and 4DX? This is once in a lifetime chance so to speak haha. I would be dragging my backside to that theater more than once and watch it as much as I can. Lol.* 

July 31, 2023. 

My stomach hurt from laughing too much at this MBN interview of the casts and their Behind the scenes stories. This is way better and hilarious than the other serious press conference interview. PBY is so cute I cant. Haha 

202307311618472967185-20230731171940-04-

MBN

Asking 'The Banality of Evil'... Lee Byung-hun "I was surprised when I saw my expression, even a little disgusted.”

The movie 'Concrete Utopia', one of the so-called 'Big 4' Korean films that famous actors and directors gathered in theaters this summer, is about to be released on the 9th of next month.

At today's ( 31st ) press preview, the audience who watched the movie 'Concrete Utopia' were surprised, laughed and cried many times. It was a disaster movie, but there was no 'Shinpa' (Excessive emotional scene), and it was a movie that was properly classified as a 'disaster thriller' rather than a simple disaster film.

Personally, the reporter came up with the concept of 'banality of evil' presented by political philosopher Hannah Arendt, and I thought it was a movie that throws the most philosophical questions among the films released this year. He asks the audience a variety of questions without taking it lightly.

While containing elements of entertainment, it is possible to think about people in three dimensions, such as how and why the public in chaos and anxiety elects a representative, and at what moment an ordinary person becomes the most active as a 'action leader'. It was a movie with many offerings.

Along with the reporter's impressions of the preview, the three companies including MBN will share the contents of the joint interview conducted in advance by meeting director Eom Tae-hwa, actor Lee Byung-hun, actor Park Seo-joon, and actor Park Bo-young

Q. _ (Yonhap News TV ) (Director Uhm Tae-hwa) What is it's difference between the disaster movies that have been released so far?view origi

A. _ (Director Uhm Tae-hwa) There have been stories of people since the disaster, but what sets our film apart from other films is that it is set in an apartment, the most common type of housing in Korea. The things that happen in it are not in the same tone as sci-fi or fantasy, but the most realistic. I think the difference is that it realistically dealt with the part of what it would be like if a disaster broke out in Korea tonight, 'this would be the case for Koreans'.

Q. _ ( JTBC ) (Common) Please introduce your cast.

3645306.jpg

A. _ (Actor Lee Byung-hun) This is Yeong-tak, who was chosen as the resident representative.

(Actor Park Seo-joon) While living as a civil servant after being discharged from the police force, he became a crime prevention chief because he was a civil servant.

(Actor Park Bo-young) Myeong-hwa, and (Park Seo-joon actor) Min-seong and a couple. I have a job as a nurse, and while I have a firm conviction, I watch with anxious eyes as the other residents of the apartment adapt and change.

Q. _ ( MBN ) (Common) Why did you decide to participate in the film?

A. _ (Actor Lee Byung-hun) When I choose many works, including movies, the part that I use as the biggest criterion is 'how the human being is portrayed'. It could be the image of a human at the bottom, or the image of a human being changing without realizing it depending on the situation. At first, he was chosen as the representative regardless of his will, and from there, he tried to protect the apartment and the residents with a sense of responsibility, and then he focused on acting a character who gradually changes as he tasted power. I had fun acting.

(Actor Park Seo-joon) I thought that the role of Min-seong, which I played, was a person who had to show mediocrity, and I think the most important thing was to express the psychology of a character who changes while going through this situation. Compromising on some things and accepting others, I think the most important scenario content for me was the change.

(Actor Park Bo-young) My biggest desire was to break away from the image that many people saw before and show a different side of me. While filming, the biggest point was to find unfamiliar faces with the director. There is a situation called a disaster, but since the story of the people after that is the 'main theme', I thought a lot about acting so that I could approach it as realistically as possible.

Q. _ (Yonhap News TV ) (Common) What was the most memorable episode during filming?

A. _ (Actor Lee Byung-hun) There is a scene in the middle of the movie where I dance while singing. Because I am also a ' former singer with 1st album' :lol: (laughs), I sang the song with fun. (Laughter) I can't say what the content of that scene is because it's a spoiler, but I felt that sequence of that scene was the most creepy in the movie. That scene was the most memorable and good.

(Actor Park Seo-joon) There are times when you imagine a situation like this. How can I get groceries or something like that? I think there are scenes that show those things indirectly through this movie. There are several scenes where residents struggle to get something they need in these situations, but those are the scenes that make the audience imagine this, so the audience will know it when they see it. (Smile)

(Actor Park Bo-young) If the scene that Byung-hun Sunbaenim said is an inflection point in our movie, I think it's the part where it becomes an inflection point, so I like it. Personally, there was a scene where I had to face off against sunbaenim, and everyone was worried about me. (Laughter) "How are you preparing? Are you doing well?" Director nim also worried a lot, so he sent me a photo of Yeong-tak, and told me to think of it as an 'object' that I could easily see. (Laughter) So, for a while, I set the sunbaenim's terrifying Young Tak visual as my phone wallpaper. (Laughter) Thinking of it as Large longhead hairtails (laughs), and thinking Let's not be intimidated when responding later! So, there is an episode that I used his picture as a wallpaper for a while. :D:D (Seriously PBY is so cute) 

view original
Q. _ ( JTBC ) (Director Uhm Tae-hwa) You must have paid a lot of attention to CG work, etc.?

A. _ (Director Uhm Tae-hwa) The main thing I thought about in this movie was 'what if a disaster happens tonight'. We focused on the most realistic and least surreal tones. When working on CG , it was important to make it feel as if it were happening in Korea, not to look like science fiction or fantasy . In fact, I decided on a certain neighborhood, built all the same buildings (directly) and knocked them down, so I worked like that, so I looked at it and thought, 'Where is that neighborhood?' It might be fun to look for. I think it's a visual that I haven't seen in Korea because it's so realistic and real.

Q. _ ( MBN ) (Director Uhm Tae-hwa) It is a disaster movie, but there is no new wave. Was it the main point?

A. _ (Director Uhm Tae-hwa) The word 'sinpa' means excessive emotions, right? In some movies, if it works well, it adds to the fun of watching the movie, but in some cases, if it's too much, it can cause rejection, so I think it's important to strike that balance. Even in our movie, we can't say it's Shinpa (laugh), but how far should we talk? There are scenes that smell like that, but the most important thing was to keep the tone at an appropriate level so that it doesn't stick out in the overall balance, and I talked a lot with the actors while working on it.

Q. _ (Yonhap News TV ) (Actor Lee Byung-hun) Young-tak's hairstyle is unique.

A. _ (Actor Lee Byung-hun) There is no particular meaning to the hairstyle, but first, when we study the external parts of the character, we continue to do it like this with the makeup and hair teams. 'Young Tak has lived this kind of life,' he said. It's not logically 'because he looks like this, he has to be like this', but he says 'I think he's Yeong-tak', and I try this and that while changing it.

Young Tak's focus on hair is that there is hair that continues to grow upward and sideways, ignoring the law of gravitation. thick. (Smile) I came to the conclusion that that kind of style would suit me somehow, and that it would look better with slightly M-shaped hair. Actually, (I) get a lot of questions about M-shaped hair (Smile), and we made it that way with a little help from makeup.

Q. _ ( JTBC ) (Actor Park Seo-joon) In the beginning, middle, and second half, did you pay particular attention to your reaction to the situation?

A. _ (Actor Park Seo-joon) As you said, when you first think of a character, the appearance is the same, and if you create a character with information that can be seen in the scenario and can be known, I think it is to fill the empty space with imagination. What I really liked at first was that they were a married couple in the play, but it was actually the first time I saw them in real life. I think the director helped me to start with props and imagine it.

How much of a voice would a person like this raise in a situation like this? What is the decibel level of that voice? I kept thinking about this as well. If there was a scene where he collided with a famous painting, how much would he be angry with if it was this friend's personality? People who get angry are really good at it, but it's awkward for people who have never been angry to be angry. I think I tried to create a character while making choices.

Q. _ ( MBN ) (Actor Lee Byung-hun) I ask the two of you the same question as before. What part did you pay attention to while acting? First of all, to actor Lee Byung-hun. In fact, in an exclusive interview between MBN and Chris Pratt, Chris Pratt said that among Korean actors, Lee Byung-hun's acting is really cool and he likes it. The secret of three-dimensional acting that captivated the world? In my opinion, 'acting eyes with narrative' is a big strength.

Spoiler

0001759773_003_20230801082801180.jpg?type=w430

view original
A. _ (Actor Lee Byung-hun) Did Chris Pratt say that? When I texted him a while ago, he didn't reply and left me on read. (Laughter)

(Park Seo-joon: (Chris Pratt) Well, at least he read the text.) (Laughter, nod)

(Lee Byung-hun) Not only in this movie, but whatever character you take on in any work, about the situation and environment that character is in, and about that character I want to know what you are thinking and feeling, from the beginning to the end of the filming. If it's the efforts of those struggling actors trying to get closer, I think it's effort. I don't think I would have played him like he was really possessed. It's not that the actors are obsessed with the character, but I think the hardest and mentally difficult part for them is to try and struggle to stay close to the character until the end.

The character Yeong-tak will also have personal worries and personal goals that Young-tak has in the situation as much as possible, and he wants to keep thinking about these things in his mind. It may be simple in a way, but it is a big homework, and it is my, my job that I have to do all the time. If you do that, as a result, 'How will those eyes come out? How would that look come out?' It could be, but I don't know. That's what the audience feels. I keep repeating and thinking that I am with the character as much as possible in the situation, so such expressions come out, and usually it is.

But did I (I) see this movie? I was also a bit surprised because there were a few parts where I thought about how that expression would come out of me, so I was a little surprised and a little disgusted (Smile). I think it's another advantage.

Q. _ ( MBN ) (Actress Park Bo-young) Same question. She also had the nickname 'BBovely', and her acting spectrum is steadily expanding. What was considered an acting challenge in particular this time?

A. _ (Actor Park Bo-young) First of all, there is a tone that is a little lower and calmer than what I have done before. Unbeknownst to me, there was something that came out as Park Bo-young's habit. (Smile) I felt it while filming this time. I saw it once with the director. It is in line with what the senior said, but the process of excluding me as a character called masterpiece and embodying it as a masterpiece was difficult, so I think I worked hard to find it this time with the director. It was hard. (Laughs) It was not an easy road. I was wondering how sunbaenim's eyes would come out at the scene, but it's nice that you answered today. (smile)

Q. _ (Yonhap News TV ) (Common) Q . Korea's 'Big 4 Movie' came out, why do audiences have to find this movie in theaters?

A. _ (Actor Park Seo-joon) I felt it when I (recently) released the movie 'Dream', but it hasn't been long since going to the cinema has started to become active again. During the period when you couldn't find a theater, many people got used to OTT , and I think they got used to watching it on their phones or tablets. Me too. However, I think there are many reasons to watch a movie in a theater. I think that any sound (sound) and level of immersion are very different. The fact that you personally select and come to this space to see it means that you are going there to concentrate. I think that it is a work that can show these things, of course there are big disaster scenes that cannot be felt on a small screen, and the various immersive performances of the actors will make you pay much more attention to the sound of the theater when you see it in the theater. I want to recommend it because I think it's a film that has so many reasons to discuss it when it comes out in theaters. (Laughter)

(Actor Park Bo-young) I hope you love Korean movies a lot. Not only our movie, but many movies are released. I hope you visit the theater often and see a lot of different options (laughs).

(Actor Lee Byung-hun) When I first read the scenario of 'Concrete Utopia', there was a feeling of freshness that I felt after a long time. It's completely different from the genre of movies I've always seen. I think there are probably a lot of young people who feel that they are seeing this genre for the first time. It's a very new genre. Actually, it's a genre that has been around for a long time, but I felt like we had forgotten about it. (Smile) I think it will come anew because of the thought, 'Oh, I really forgot about it, but I really liked it'.

The reason why you have to see it in the theater is that you can feel the reality when you see the disaster situation on the big screen. There are certain parts, such as the director's small intention or the actors' subtle acting (Smile). There are obviously many things in this movie that can be missed on small screens. I think the things you feel when you see it on the big screen will be much bigger.

(Director Uhm Tae-hwa) As the corona period passed, many people got used to watching it on OTT, the price of theaters went up, and there must be various reasons . . So I tried to finish this movie with that mindset until the end. I think I can say with confidence that when you pay for the theater price and see it, you will think that it is not a waste of money. I believe that good movies still come to see it, so I would appreciate it if you would come to see it a lot.

It’s a different press conference video where questions were basically very serious. Hopefully Tong Tong team will provide English subs soon. 

Edited by ferily
Maximum of 3 images/videos/Tweets per post, please put any other images in spoiler tag. Thanks!