[Drama 2021] Mount Jiri/Cliffhanger, 지리산

larus

Meanwhile, tvN’s “Jirisan” took first place in its own time slot across all channels—even including broadcast networks—with an average nationwide rating of 7.8 percent. The drama also took first place in its time slot among the key demographic of viewers ages 20 to 49, with whom it scored a nationwide average of 3.3 percent.

Read more: https://kdramabuddy.com/the-red-sleeve-records-its-highest-ratings-yet-in-close-race-with-now-we-are-breaking-up/#ixzz7Cp2tg3Ig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Blizzardistkaputt Is it standard issue to have a satellite phone for every rescue team? Not sure how it works among the rangers in Korea. However, if you are referring to LDW, she was on the mountains on her off day, so she was probably not well-equipped compared to being in an actual rescue team. Just my 2 cents...

Joo Ji Hoon And Jun Ji Hyun Sense An Uncanny Aura On The Mountain In “Jirisan”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Nov 21, 2021
by S. P

tvN’s “Jirisan” has shared new stills from the upcoming episode!

Penned by “Kingdom” writer Kim Eun Hee, “Jirisan” is a mystery drama starring Jun Ji Hyun as Seo Yi Kang, a top ranger at Mount Jiri National Park, and Joo Ji Hoon as her rookie partner Kang Hyun Jo, who is hiding a supernatural secret. Together, the two rangers begin to uncover the truth behind mysterious accidents that occur on the mountain.

Spoilers

Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo are in the midst of their search and rescue operation in the new stills. However, the bleak and eerie atmosphere surrounding the mountain is enough to give anyone goosebumps. As expected, the pair of rangers also sense the strange air and pay close attention to their surroundings. Relying on the single beam emitting from their flashlight, they draw curiosity from viewers as they peer cautiously inside a cave. It remains to be seen if the two rangers will discover any clues that will aid them in their search.

Joo-Ji-Hoon-Jun-Ji-Hyun-1.jpeg

Spoiler

Joo-Ji-Hoon3.jpeg

Seo Yi Kang and Kang Hyun Jo aren’t the only ones who have picked up on Jirisan’s strange aura. Jung Goo Young (Oh Jung Se) and Park Il Hae (Jo Han Chul) sport perplexed looks on their faces, appearing at a loss as they helplessly face the mysteries of the mountain despite being skilled rangers who once responded to emergency situations faster than anyone.

Oh-Jung-Se-Jun-Ji-Hyun.jpeg

Spoiler

Jo-Han-Chul.jpeg

Previously, the long-time Jirisan resident Lee Moon Ok (Kim Young Ok) warned Seo Yi Kang that something ominous was about to happen in the mountain village. However, one online streamer secretly entered the village and while filming, witnessed a strange light before suffering an accident. Thus, the rangers had no choice but to enter the mountain.

Curiosity is mounting over how the rangers will go about responding to the strange happening, as they are unable to pass off the mysterious event as just some superstition. Will they pass it off as just another accident, or will they recognize it as yet another sign sent by the mountain?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1499721wpp/joo-ji-hoon-and-jun-ji-hyun-sense-an-uncanny-aura-on-the-mountain-in-jirisan

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

The show is getting interesting, with only 6 more episodes left.

The murderer must be Kim Sol, the son of Kim Jae Geong, the major of the Black Bridge Village! The last 1-2 minutes before the credit rolls reveal who he is actually. The cable car development led to the demise of both his parents and residents leaving the village. 

That also explains why Jo Dae Jin knows who might be the murderer as he was directly involved and even interacted with the young Kim Sol in 1991; and why the past rock formation thingy wasn't left by Hyun Jo, but by Kim Sol, who explained about it to our rangers back in Episode 1.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Newbie21SG said:

That also explains why Jo Dae Jin knows who might be the murderer as he was directly involved and even interacted with the young Kim Sol in 1991; and why the past rock formation thingy wasn't left by Hyun Jo, but by Kim Sol, who explained about it to our rangers back in Episode 1.

I think JDJ knows exactly who the killer is and he is somewhat trying to protect him out of guilt for what young Kim Sol had experienced. Won't be surprised if he is even his guardian. With Da Won, JDJ probably saw Kim Sol push her and once he saw that she was dead, he himself planted his gloves on DW's hands to misdirect the investigation and lead them away from Kim Sol. It was also JDJ who took DW's phone and placed it somewhere so she can be found. When I watched ep 9 I was thinking it was not the killer's style to lead rangers to his victims. It just doesn't make sense. 

Here's my theory:

1. His father didn't really die of suicide, but the original killer in 1991 went to their house in the village and he saw his dad be killed but then made it appear as suicide (young Kim Sol was probably hiding). 2) Young Kim Sol saw how the original killer looked like and so he imitated the way they use black gloves etc. 3) The ones in SeoWook's notebook are probably former residents of their village so he's hunting them down for abandoning the village. What I cant connect though is why Yang Sun was also in the list. Maybe she knew something about Kim Sol.

Other stuff:

1. Looks like Il Hae retired as a ranger and instead is doing desk job (his knee must have worsened). I hope he really is still alive in 2021.

2. So now the only missing 2018/2019 ranger is Yang Sun. I wonder where she is. Probably did not end up with GY. GY is too grumpy in current time, if he and YS ended up together I'd imagine he would have been really happy.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 3

So, we finally found out who the killer is.

This episode was better to watch because the last one was too sad and heartbreaking.

We see Hyun Jo waking up in the preview of the next episode. I hope it's real, not a dream or hallucination.

So... there's an fan edit on instagram made with scenes taken from "Yours" ost music video. I think the scenes from 0:25s till the end haven't aired yet. I'd like to confirm with you guys.

Spoiler

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CWhH0KYAI3N/?utm_medium=copy_link

I honestly don't remember watching the last scene where Yi Gang calls for Hyun Jo in 2020 through the walkie. Do you guys remember if it was aired and maybe I forgot about it? 

• Like 6

None of the suspects on my list are correct :ph34r:

@paolaadl the scene was aired on the last ep of 6 as a preview for ep 7 but it's not shown either on ep 7 or 8.

2 hours ago, NhicarT said:

Other stuff:

1. Looks like Il Hae retired as a ranger and instead is doing desk job (his knee must have worsened). I hope he really is still alive in 2021.

Seems that He will show up on present time next week. His hair style on preview is different.

Left questions:

1. who is the killer in 1991?

2. On the preview, Hyun Joo said: "Why are they together?" probably indicating Kim Sol with someone else.

Since Kim Sol mentioned that there were no bear at that time(1991), I think the blue ghosts are really spirits.  what do you all think? The blue ghosts seemed to lure Yi Gang & Hyun Joo to find the woman inside the cave so probably the nice ones.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

At last, we learn of the killer's identity, his reason for targeting the victims, and his bond with Capt. Jo which harks back almost 30 years. True to her promise, KEH has left behind clues from earlier episodes, which now help us understand why the victims were targeted. Out of LSW's original list of 6 people, 3 were Haedong village rangers, while Granny Geum-rye is now confirmed to be a former Black Bridge villager. Similarly, the herb collectors who were attacked and killed seem to be among the Haedong village volunteer rangers from 1995 as well - a Mr. Jang (Jang Hak-su originally from Black Bridge village?) who died in Mujin valley, and a Mr Hwang (Hwang Gil-yong?) who nearly died when his rope snapped in Jeonmukgol.

By all intents and purposes, it appears that the killings are an act of vengeance for their part in the Black Bridge village tragedy - the death of Kim Sol's parents, and the destruction of his home. If so, I have to wonder whether Capt. Jo and ex-chief Kim will ultimately be targeted as well for their failure to keep their promise and protect the village. Little Kim Sol had already heard Capt. Jo's guilty self-recriminations that his mother might have survived had they found her in time. Will he turn on the older man, who I suspect has been looking after him all these years? 

There are still many unanswered questions. What are the origins of the ghostly lights, which Kim Sol says are the precursor to the village's calamity? Were they really bears, since according to him, there were no bears in the mountain at the time? I am also not sure what the significance of the chain KHJ saw in the shelter is. Is it part of a dog-tag that belonged to Sgt. Kim? Why was Sgt Kim targeted in the first place? We know he was a local, but how is he related? Who is the lost hiker who offered up prayers to Kim Sol's father? Unlike the other victims, she does not appear to be targeted, but brought to the shelter instead. Why? We are also no closer to understanding why LYS was chosen. Was her addition LSW's independent decision or part of the grand scheme? Although her name was crossed out in lieu of KHJ's, perhaps she was still meant to die ultimately, which would explain her absence thus far in 2020 and JGY's change in behaviour. Lastly, who was the gloved person who threw the carcass into the well in Black Bridge village, and attacked Kim Sol's mother? Was it YGT, his henchman or someone else? Based on age, with the exception of Capt. Jo, the only one we know of that would fit is ex-chief Kim, but I cannot imagine him doing something like this. Questions questions.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 5

2 hours ago, NhicarT said:

The ones in SeoWook's notebook are probably former residents of their village so he's hunting them down for abandoning the village. What I cant connect though is why Yang Sun was also in the list. Maybe she knew something about Kim Sol.

Anyone know the names on the list? I only remember 

1. Lee geum rye. This grandma used to live on black bridge valley.

2. Yang Geun tak. He wanted to build cable car.

3. Snake poacher /potato bomb. What is the connection?

Hyun Joo's Subordinate is also the victim but it's not include on the notebook list, cmiiw

edit: uppss..liddi already explained it on above post.

• Like 5

@paolaadl You're right. Scenes from 29s onwards have not aired yet. It does look like KHJ regained consciousness, but I don't know whether it is just a physical reflex, and his spirit is still trapped on the mountains.

@illay The following are the identity of the victims that we know of so far. (1) to (6) are from LSW's list:

1. Sgt. Kim Hyeon-su  (local, link unknown)

2. Seo Geum-ja  (link unknown)

3. Lee Jong-gu  (Haedong Village volunteer ranger)

4. Kim Jin-deok  (Haedong Village volunteer ranger)

5. Granny Geum-rye  (former Black Bridge villager)

6. Choi Il-man  (Haedong Village volunteer ranger)

7. Lee Yang-sun  (link unknown)

8. Kang Hyun-jo  (closing on the killer)

9. Yang Geun-tak  (president of Mt. Jiri cable car promotion committee)

10. Mr. Jang, herb collector, died in Mujin valley  (Jang Hak-su, former Black Bridge villager, Haedong Village volunteer ranger?)

11. Gi-yeong, herb collector, died in Oerae valley  (link unknown)

12. Mr. Hwang, herb collector, almost died in Jeonmukgol  (Hwang Gil-yong, Haedong Village volunteer ranger?)

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, illay said:

@paolaadl the scene was aired on the last ep of 6 as a preview for ep 7 but it's not shown either on ep 7 or 8.

I completely forgot about it lol thanks for sharing! 

3 hours ago, liddi said:

paolaadl You're right. Scenes from 29s onwards have not aired yet. It does look like KHJ regained consciousness, but I don't know whether it is just a physical reflex, and his spirit is still trapped on the mountains.

I really hope it's him waking up for real, it's about time! We're on episode 11 already. 

• Like 3

Wow, thank you for the details @liddi I guess I should rewatch some of the episodes again since the different time frames are making me confused  :sweet:and now I have more questions.  I wonder if there are other people who can see the "connection" among the victims. Hmmm?

I love this part when SYG was instructed on how to find the correct path. 

Somehow this episode reminds me of our own local stories searching for lost people in the forest -  some  people were "hidden" from our naked eyes and sometimes might be found a few days later.

Preview 

Credit to the owner

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Wow.. you guys are really quick and sharp to make all those lists and reason and especially @liddi who post the photos and the name list .. it's sure make it easier to catch up and understand better. 

Seriously i didn't remember his name is Kim Sol before i read all the comments above, i mean i just remember his Surname is Kim and i knew he was the guy who's from cultural department and knew his face quite appear sometimes in past and present time.

So, the little boy is Kim Sol then. 

Before the near ending when Kim Sol founded by HyunJo in that cave, i seriously thought why the Name Kim Jae Gyeong on focussed few times, and even i thought the little boy who lost both parents, could he be Kim Cheol Gyeong (Yigang 1st love crush) :tongue: hahaa.. who knows he'd be appear again in some eps later . But, we are running out of time, since it's getting near to the main accident of Yigang Hyunjo. 

Really love though the part where GoYoung met Yangsun's mom when it's shown that Yigang and Hyunjo outside, so it was them who bought the flower, really curious was it Yigang or Hyunjo idea to have thought that idea , might be Hyunjo i guess since he is more experience in love but the way Yigang said jut knew that Goyoung would come idle hand was fun. 

It's sad though that now we know many people  love  the mountain but with different reason and the core team would be teared apart soon. 

And finally, the one make me exciting more, when Hyunjo said to Yigang it's our one year anniversary .. aigoo.. is it common to congratulate one year anniversary of working partner, sound teasing to me though , but it is not enough to just always teasing . We need more 

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Great to see Jirisan’s rating climbing back. I think the middle episodes  5-7 are kinda boring and resulted in ppl dropping the series.

Episodes 8 to 10 are great though and I hope to see the ratings break 10% again with the storyline now becoming clear and not as muddled as before!

• Like 3

@illay Very interesting point about the eerie lights. I wonder though how YGT or his henchman managed to do move around, contaminating the wells without being frightened off by the lights, which made me wonder whether YGT was the one who planted the lights. The lights still existed in 2019, but then again, at the time, YGT was still alive and reviving his cable car plans through Deokseoryong where Black Bridge village was located, so could it be that he was back to his old tricks which he employed in 1991? No idea yet. Nonetheless, the sighting of the lights again in 2019 looks to be an ominous omen of bad things to come in Black Bridge village, which then came to pass with the attack on KHJ and SYG there a few months later.

@YongZura⁷  I am curious about the identity of the gloved man in 1991. Was it YGT? Yet it seems a little convenient that he was so easily disposed off by 2020. Assuming, Kim Sol's father was murdered rather than committed suicide due to being the last person standing between the cable car plans, was it possible that little Kim Sol caught sight of his father's killer at the time? If so, is our present day killer now hunting down the killer from 1991 as well? I still can't imagine it to be ex-chief Kim because he was unwilling to help YGT convince the villagers to relocate. If so, who else have we met who is of the same age? LYS' grandpa? Is it even likely? It is possible that whoever else was a part of the tragic events at Black Bridge village, be it one of the villagers or the mysterious gloved man, might begin to see the pattern in the accidents, if they do realise those were not accidents after all.

@Li22.55 It appears that SYG was the one who thought of the idea of preparing the flowers and the "best ranger of the month" claim, because she told KHJ that she was right about JGY showing up empty handed. I love to see the camaraderie among the team, which is why it hurts all the more to see their dynamics fractured in present day. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2