[Drama 2020] The King: Eternal Monarch, 더 킹: 영원의 군주

syntyche

31 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

EDIT:

I too am much more of a reader than a movie person simply because the details of the book captures what the movie cannot. If someone decides to put a book into a drama, and I have read that book beforehand, I am always hesitant because in my mind, I expect the movie to be as good as the book. Given that a movie is limited on time whereas a book is not limited on pages, the movie tends to cut out a lot of beautiful details from the book. Then it becomes a disappointment for me. If I was given the script for TKEM, i am sure there may have been details that were omitted due to the time frame of each episode. It does make a difference. For example, Faith was written into a book then translated to a script but there were so many scenes omitted or changed. I was quite upset because had the original script been in the drama itself, the beauty would have been clearer and the emotional impact of the viewers would have been even greater. This is why most people love it when an actor/actress can convey the emotions with their eyes and gestures. It shows what the written part should have been about :D

Faith was a beautiful drama especially the way Lee Min Ho carried the glory of mane of Choi Young was something to behold and the musical background made things more epic for me. 

I was fan of his and been following him since City Hunter watched it here in my country and it blew my mind then came faith just a year later which even blew my mind more and imo LMH was so active during 09-13 he did five dramas one each year and all of them so different except Heirs-BOF being similar. 

I showed to a family member Heirs-BOF they couldn't recognize that it was the same actor but I told them later that it was the same actor they couldn't tell either the difference between his City hunter and faith characters and I think it's because when LMH changes his hairstyle his face changes with it 

• Like 1
  • Love 9

9 minutes ago, Flloy House said:

Faith was a beautiful drama especially the way Lee Min Ho carried the glory of mane of Choi Young was something to behold and the musical background made things more epic for me. 

I was fan of his and been following him since City Hunter watched it here in my country and it blew my mind then came faith just a year later which even blew my mind more and imo LMH was so active during 09-13 he did five dramas one each year and all of them so different except Heirs-BOF being similar. 

I showed to a family member Heirs-BOF they couldn't recognize that it was the same actor but I told them later that it was the same actor they couldn't tell either the difference between his City hunter and faith characters and I think it's because when LMH changes his hairstyle his face changes with it 

I was wondering about the same thing for awhile he truly changes with a hairstyle his face fits into whatever hairstyle he takes and even in commericials I have seen him look vastly different from time to time due to his hairstyle changes

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Haha so guys I was rewatching stuff and I just realized I got ES's dreams mixed up. 

62nd dream: To become a civilian 

63rd dream: In his "next life", he wants to be a citizen in KOC

64th dream: ???????

65th dream: To see JY again

After going back, I realized that :

1) We never got to see what was ES's 64th dream was

2) Maybe JY and ES are the same person? Meaning that in his next life he did become a citizen in KOC. For example, ES was reborn as a JY.

3) It would've made more sense if ES had said "I want my 63rd dream to be one where I become a temporary citizen in KOC in this lifetime" but instead he said in the "next life"

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

Haha so guys I was rewatching stuff and I just realized I got ES's dreams mixed up. 

62nd dream: To become a civilian 

63rd dream: In his "next life", he wants to be a citizen in KOC

64th dream: ???????

65th dream: To see JY again

After going back, I realized that :

1) We never got to see what was ES's 64th dream was

2) Maybe JY and ES are the same person? Meaning that in his next life he did become a citizen in KOC. For example, ES was reborn as a JY.

3) It would've made more sense if ES had said "I want my 63rd dream to be one where I become a temporary citizen in KOC in this lifetime" but instead he said in the "next life"

You mean where they change souls so ES is born in KOC while the JY is born ROK?

When the time is reset? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Flloy House said:

I chosed to a family member Heirs-BOF they couldn't recognize that it was the same actor but I told them later that it was the same character they couldn't tell either the difference between his City hunter and faith characters and I think it's because when LMH changes his hairstyle his face changes with it 

oh yes! I agree. Faith was beautiful because of the story through Choi Young with LMH as the one portraying every part of this character. His eyes, his charms, his gestures, his emotions all made CY come to life. That’s why even though some scenes were omitted from the script and drama, LMH and the cast carried it out so well. Everything was beautiful about it and that’s why it is one of my favorite of LMH and Daejang is my first and still my favorite of his characters. LG is becoming second :wub: 

I have followed LMH since BOF days and he has definitely grown into a phenomenal actor. I have always loved the emotions spoken through his eyes! This is one of the reasons why I cry and laugh with him whenever he plays his character.

LG is also becoming one of the most memorable character to me simply because I have grown to love him as the King. TE is also becoming one of the most beautiful character to me because of KGE. I mean, who can ever forget the epic rescue scene because I can’t :wub: i shipped Imja couple but not the off screen couple. For TKEM, i am shipping both ships ;)

also, I am a WDHoe so I can’t forget my unbreakable sword: 

the-magical-charms-of-woo-do-hwan-in-the

Heck, everyone brought TKEM to life. Yes, even the PM lol (the actress of course lol because I still don’t like PM herself) haha. 

And although I don’t trust KES with her endings, I have to admit that the Osts used in her dramas are sensational and unforgettable!! :heart:

• Like 4
  • Love 5

9 minutes ago, Joanna Alfson said:

You mean where they change souls so ES is born in KOC while the JY is born ROK?

When the time is reset? 

@Joanna Alfson Or maybe there's only one WDH character and that ES is dreaming himself as JY set in the world of KOC lol. Even the character profile of ES sounds weird on SBS (I used google translate so it might be wrong):

Eunsup's hope for the future was exactly 61. I lived for 28 years, so even if I had a dream from the moment I was born and meditated, it seems to have changed more than once every year. It is a university vacation student and a social service officer who has been ordered to the Civil Service Office of the National Police Agency, who has not fulfilled any dreams that have passed through firefighters, police officers, and civil servants.

The life of Eun-seop started to be twisted, “My mind is floating with the world. It was in the first semester of the 4th grade at a university that shouted like "What do you want to do?" Thanks to his exceptionally good parents, his twin brothers were born, and thanks to him, graduation started flying and child-raising alone started. Two nights without the eyes open by nursing and making baby food all night, finally at the first day of attendance at Eunbikabi's daycare center, “My horse is floating with the real world. I said, “Why don't you take it all out?” I returned to school while yelling at the end of the party, and I was blown away by a kid who was almost hit by a car and a warrant flew when I was discharged. Eventually, the 62nd prospect is civilians.

Finally, a few days ahead of the whole world, I am going to fulfill my dream for the first time in my life. Faint The first stun was a spoiler, but the second was this. You're in the Corea Empire, it's a recruitment? Maybe Eun-Seop will have a 63rd dream.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

54 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

@HeiloCouldn't have said it better myself! Its like for some of my take home exams, there are sometimes page limits on your answers. So in school they always told us, you have a limit pages to tell your answer/story so make each page count. If you add too many useless details to your main idea, then it does nothing to your story except to confuse the reader grading your answers. Its like KES only had 16 pages or 16 episodes to tell her story in a way that didn't confuse viewers and yea I got how she was trying to use the whole show the viewers the present first and next show the reconstruction of the past element in the show, but what that all did was make a complete mess of everything lol. 

In all honesty, she added too many things to communicate her central idea which was if you accept your terrible fate now and are willing to go towards it regardless then in the end you are rewarded with a whole new better lifetime. Sacrifice yourself now to make a better yesterday, today, and tomorrow all an equal reality for yourself.....ugh but did she have to waste a bunch of episodes to communicate this concept? NOPE. At this moment, I want to give KES a big rolling my eyes emoji, but ill settle for this instead <_<

The story was to vast for 16 episodes in my opinion and more suitable for a series for couple of season because she has the material source now to go for several seasons not just second but couple more on top of that. 

The world building she did was obviously great here in my opinion and the ambition she had for this was clear to see and in my honest opinion she has out done herself in this project due to the vastness and ambitious world building and the only thing she can do now is continue on this vast world she has sitting here to be explored and in my opinion this is not a script where she can leave not when you have made it so vast and made so much world building and part of me thinks she make this drama couple more season not just second but few more and she definitely has the material and is the only way forward in the story-line due to it's vastness and it will do her justice that way

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Heilo said:

The story was to vast for 16 episodes in my opinion and more suitable for a series for couple of season because she has the material source now to go for several seasons not just second but couple more on top of that. 

The world building she did was obviously great here in my opinion and the ambition she had for this was clear to see and in my honest opinion she has out done herself in this project due to the vastness and ambitious world building and the only thing she can do now is continue on this vast world she has sitting here to be explored and in my opinion this is not a script where she can leave not when you have made it so vast and made so much world building and part of me thinks she make this drama couple more season not just second but few more and she definitely has the material and is the only way forward in the story-line due to it's vastness and it will do her justice that way

@Heilo Yea most definitely ! There was so much to explore, however given the constraint that she probably already planned from the beginning she was not going to do a second season, she should have condensed everything in a more cohesive manner and not include so much info. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SweetButters said:

@Joanna Alfson Or maybe there's only one WDH character and that ES is dreaming himself as JY set in the world of KOC lol. Even the character profile of ES sounds weird on SBS (I used google translate so it might be wrong):

Eunsup's hope for the future was exactly 61. I lived for 28 years, so even if I had a dream from the moment I was born and meditated, it seems to have changed more than once every year. It is a university vacation student and a social service officer who has been ordered to the Civil Service Office of the National Police Agency, who has not fulfilled any dreams that have passed through firefighters, police officers, and civil servants.

The life of Eun-seop started to be twisted, “My mind is floating with the world. It was in the first semester of the 4th grade at a university that shouted like "What do you want to do?" Thanks to his exceptionally good parents, his twin brothers were born, and thanks to him, graduation started flying and child-raising alone started. Two nights without the eyes open by nursing and making baby food all night, finally at the first day of attendance at Eunbikabi's daycare center, “My horse is floating with the real world. I said, “Why don't you take it all out?” I returned to school while yelling at the end of the party, and I was blown away by a kid who was almost hit by a car and a warrant flew when I was discharged. Eventually, the 62nd prospect is civilians.

Finally, a few days ahead of the whole world, I am going to fulfill my dream for the first time in my life. Faint The first stun was a spoiler, but the second was this. You're in the Corea Empire, it's a recruitment? Maybe Eun-Seop will have a 63rd dream.

Hahaha. One character? this is hell'va confusing. 

You also hinted at everything simply being a dream:sweat_smile:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

24 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

And although I don’t trust KES with her endings, I have to admit that the Osts used in her dramas are sensational and unforgettable!! :heart:

The OST's were good and they released a bunch of them. What is your absolute favourite OST? if you have to chose one at gun-point

• Like 2

8 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

I wonder... why the photobook is released now when the drama series hasnt ended? Is it produced by SBS or some fan sites? 

It would be hilarious if it turned out to be a fan site and i swear i wouldnt be surprised if that was the case. I have seen that before 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AgentQuake said:

10pm KST, and then 7:30 PST for US

7:30 in the morning? For these who are located on the west coast gezz? Friday morning to be exact and how do you guys manage that or your not from the West coast? 

• Like 2

I started to theorize about something again and then my brain literally melted and oozed out of my ears

Y’all, it has been an honor losing our collective sanity together. 

My mind feels like spaghetti.  I have decided to go outside and sacrifice some rice cakes for a happy ending.  

@Elnin Joery I’m on the west coast - I’ve been getting up at 6:30 to get ready for work and then rushing out the door still screaming to get to work by 9

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

3 minutes ago, Elnin Joery said:

7:30 in the morning? For these who are located on the west coast gezz? Friday morning to be exact and how do you guys manage that or your not from the West coast? 

I am from the west coast. The bay area to be exact but I work late night so it's easy for me as I am wake at that time and I sleep 7 hours after I watched TKEM 

• Like 2