[Drama 2019] Shady Mom in Law, 수상한 장모

0ly40

MS is putting on a brave front, but his body is in pain and his asst. brings in his wheelchair.  Shady Mom really grills ES, much to the disgust of Jenny who is very uncomfortable with the questioning.  I think he was even asked about his father.

Fans of MS will love the flashbacks and his sad song with the guitar.  He is digging in, and he calls shady Mom again and addresses her as "Mother."  Preview shows him getting somewhat aggressive toward her.  Oh boy.  :o

What I find odd about the writing in this drama is the lack of any mention of associations.... like, what happened to Mrs. Ji's husband?  And didn't Jenny ever question about who her father was, or any relatives she might have?   Flashback to a younger Chairman Oh in a brown wig talking to a young ES, but I'm not sure how much info is given.  We only recently found out that aunt's husband ran off with another woman to Australia and never was in touch with Young Man and Eun Ji.  It seems funny that this writer is pretty "light" on some of the details about these characters.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@msmy I look forward to seeing this tomorrow and learning more about MS. As for Jenny, she was hypnotized, and wasn’t exactly a bright child in the first place - never cried for help when kidnapped - so I can see her not asking about her own father.

i don’t think this writer is very good. My active imagination tells me the one or ones for Sweet Enemy and Happy Sisters wanted more money and didn’t get it, so we got this one instead.

1 hour ago, tulip06 said:

Sweet Enemy and Happy Sisters wanted more money and didn’t get it, so we got this one instead.

You may be on to something. Although, if I remember correctly the writer for Happy Sisters was a rookie which surprised me because of how well written that drama was. I didn't watch Kangnam Scandal so I don't know how well that one went. I'm a Mother Too was ok but I think the cast made that one better than it was written. I hope we see the writer from one of the two you mentioned in the one following this one. I haven't been emotionally involved with a drama as I was with Happy Sisters since then.

9 hours ago, rolisrntex said:

You may be on to something. Although, if I remember correctly the writer for Happy Sisters was a rookie which surprised me because of how well written that drama was. I didn't watch Kangnam Scandal so I don't know how well that one went. I'm a Mother Too was ok but I think the cast made that one better than it was written. I hope we see the writer from one of the two you mentioned in the one following this one. I haven't been emotionally involved with a drama as I was with Happy Sisters since then.

I looked up the writers last night, and Kangnam Scandal was an experienced writer with a lot of credits. I was not impressed with that show and barely watched it, so I’ll avoid her other dramas as well.

Sweet Enemy’s cast pop up in other dramas every now and again. The chaebol bio mom is the villainess in Everybody Say Kungdari.

Things are really heating up!  Today was a little boring, but Youngman and Ae Young's situation is entertaining me, anyway, even if it is boring everyone else, and tomorrow, MS will face down Shady Mom with Jenny's situation.  His own, well, when he called her Omoni and she was all, who said you could call me that? My reaction was God, Nature, and the Universe, Shady Mom.  

I want to know how MS became rich. 

One more edit: I was scrolling through Son Woo Hyuk's insta and he told me that he was in another drama (yes, I asked him what drama he filmed before in one pic!) called Should We Kiss First?  On Viki, he is listed as Son Deok Gi.  No idea why Koreans use different names, but there you have it.

There was more in episode 72 than I thought there was.  ES, Jenny, and shady Mom discuss living conditions and money allotments.  ES said he had a house that would be vacated soon, and they could all live there.  You could just see Shady Mom calculating the $$$ of what she would get from the sale of Jenny's and her home, so she was o.k. with that arrangement.  ES said he would give her plenty of allowance to run the household.  That really made Jenny squirm.

Shady Mom asked ES about his parents.  Grandpa told ES when he was young to never disclose that his father was murdered by the Black Rose until she was found and put in prison.  So ES said that his parents died in a car crash when he was young.  Shady Mom bought that (how much does she really know, anyway, about the people she killed?) and said that Jenny's "dad" also died in a car crash.  Jenny had a funny look like "don't make stuff up", but her mother continued.

MS was abandoned by his mother at birth, but his father saved him by taking him immediately to the hospital as a newborn.  When he was older, his father showed him pictures of his mother and told him never to meet her, that she was dangerous.  He initiated the call to shady Mom,  and the preview shows him confronting her about Mrs. Ji and Jenny.  I think he said something about how they would find each other eventually.

On 8/29/2019 at 4:13 AM, msmy said:

Fans of MS will love the flashbacks and his sad song with the guitar.  He is digging in, and he calls shady Mom again and addresses her as "Mother."  Preview shows him getting somewhat aggressive toward her.  Oh boy.  :o

I really need to watch, but I had sudden task to do (as my job) :bawling:

Will try to watch tomorrow 

Really initially I thought Youngman's girlfriend was lying about her pregnancy but she turned out to be pregnant for real. She will suck money from him now, serves him right. She is so funny calling him 'honey' :D

I like EJ now, @rolisrntex you liked her at the beginning too, but seems you no longer mentioned her as everyone was criticizing her ^_^. I really felt sorry for you, as you no longer said your opinion, to avoid angry reactions, I guess

Really I never took EJ seriously, I knew she just had a temporary crush on DJ, like a teenager. I was just worried when she took the ultrasound photos of her pregnant friend and the selfie, but as usual the writer starts something then forgets about it :D

OMG!  MS is not fooling around!  He is right in shady Mom's face , and if looks could kill, she'd be dead!  The first half of this episode is Young Man and goofy girlfriend, but the last half is Yikes!  Chairman, ES, Jenny and shady Mom meet for a formal lunch, complete with tension and bitterness.  Rocky road ahead.

Then Shady Mom goes to MS's office.  He is aggressive... waiting for subs.

8 hours ago, msmy said:

OMG!  MS is not fooling around!  He is right in shady Mom's face , and if looks could kill, she'd be dead! 

man soo is really pulling this drama ahead! it is so much fun to watch his scenes because there is so much control and he is not even giving up his cards. so he point blank tells shady mom "sorry but I am recovering well." hahahhaha... and she accuses him of trying to kill her and he tells to look at her associates. she thinks that it is him. and he tells her that the reason he wanted to marry jenny was to reunite her with her biological family. he thinks that of all the things she has done, her treatment of jenny is the worst sin. she then does a emotional routine of how she found a lost girl and raised her and now jenny is all she has. he listens quietly and then tells her that she needs to tell the truth. hahahaha... so he gives an ultimatum that either he tells or she tells jenny the truth. she keeps asking who he is and he tells her to figure it out. but he is not budging on his justice quest. shady mom is rattled. and the preview looks like she is hunting for anything to keep man soo quiet except he has no intention of doing so. hope man soo gets more bodyguards. he needs them!

10 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

I like EJ now, @rolisrntex you liked her at the beginning too, but seems you no longer mentioned her as everyone was criticizing her 

TBH I didn't like the direction the writer was taking the character during the EJ,DJ, and SA love triangle. Especially, if she had sprung the fake sonogram entrapment scheme. I just knew it was coming. It really seems @Lmangla and I's theory is true. The PD and writer must have been talked to about that story arc because it disappeared in a hurry.

Anyway, back to EJ. While watching ep 72, I told my wife, "Ah. The old Eun Ji is back! Now I can enjoy her antics again." Now she will snooping and spying on her brother. Should be fun.

Haven't watched ep 73 yet but it seems we are getting some movement now in the MS vs. Black Rose scheme. Anyone also think ES will never have to live with fake Mom? She will be in the wind before the wedding takes I believe.

28 minutes ago, rolisrntex said:

Haven't watched ep 73 yet but it seems we are getting some movement now in the MS vs. Black Rose scheme. Anyone also think ES will never have to live with fake Mom? She will be in the wind before the wedding takes I believe.

am wondering if the wedding gets called off because grandpa gets a whiff that black rose might be connected to shady mom. eun seok is really blind at the moment where he seems like he will do anything for jenny but would he be willing to marry jenny if he suspects the truth about shady mom?

28 minutes ago, rolisrntex said:

Anyway, back to EJ. While watching ep 72, I told my wife, "Ah. The old Eun Ji is back! Now I can enjoy her antics again." Now she will snooping and spying on her brother. Should be fun.

it was actually funny seeing her interact with kyung soo. they both have this absurd humour where they find each other very amusing. kekeke... so it looks like good pairing and yea, she is back to spying on her brother. am pretty sure that the ultrasound wasn't a random scene but was meant to be weaved in. however given the negative viewer response, they cut it out and quickly and started focusing on shady mom again..

am also wondering about whether the PD has gotten feedback about man soo. the actor is doing a good job with the character. maybe it was already part of the story arc but it feels like man soo is almost the main character now and we are getting far more scenes with him. he doesn't feel like a second lead at all no? eun seok on the other hand is really boring now and comes across like a pushover who would do anything to get jenny. :sweatingbullets:

The fabricated story about Jenny's father dying after her birth  is something she's come to believe, and told ES that she had 2 step fathers  but the relationship was never long enough to even bond with them.  ES feels bad for her sad childhood.

Grandpa managed to push shady Mom's buttons when he told her, "Don't go around splurging."  She thinks she's got the finances sewn up and has ready cash available.  The preview shows gangster brother compiling the illegal transactions from MS's hotel, and giving shady Mom the USB to present to MS.  It's meant to be blackmail, but remember, MS has been giving info to the police for awhile, so any form of blackmail is a no-go.  It seems like MS is inching toward getting Jenny back to the family for a happy reunion.  He said his goal was to marry Jenny and live with Mrs. Ji and Song Ah.  He doesn't mince any words when he tells shady Mom that she disgusts him.  Not sure how shady Mom is going to save face if Jenny finds out the truth.  I wonder what the papers are that shady Mom is leafing through in the preview?  Next week should be good.  ;)

3 hours ago, tulip06 said:

@Lmangla

Oh,I am sure the PD has gotten feedback about MS! MS is awesome! And this is his story! He is the hero!

kekeke... it really feels like his story no? if you have to write a synopsis, it makes sense to write it from his perspective because he is actually doing something.

so was thinking about why man soo has been waiting for so long to reveal the truth about jenny if he knew for so many years. here's my theory: when he first met jenny and shady mom, he knew pretty soon that jenny isn't related to him biologically. he probably did some sort of DNA test to make sure. once he figured that jenny wasn't his sister, he was probably wondering why shady mom kept jenny when she wouldn't keep him. he probably started investigating but it took him a while to figure out and also track song ah and mrs. ji. after that, he had to figure out how to get jenny to korea so that they can all meet. hence the J group deal.

jenny is a little better now but this is the same girl who didn't think anything suspicious when eun seok told her about the initial threats. heck, she is still living with shady mom even after all that. so jenny is hardly the kind of person who would listen or even believe man soo if he did tell her the truth. so he is in a sense stirring the ingredients and trying to put it together so that people would be willing to listen to him and this family will have their own happy ending. am like @nohamahamoud2002 and think kyung in would be a good match for him. that will be a nice way to wrap things up before he goes back to his superhero cave.

@Lmangla I agree, MS even said early on to Jenny that he couldn't tell her because she wasn't ready to hear what was happening, and he couldn't explain everything because she was not ready for it.

And I think he was against ES because he knew that ES would get into trouble with the gangster side of Shady Mom and not know how to cope.  Otherwise, he probably could have even let Jenny go, despite having a crush on her and feeling a bit competitive. After all, he covered for her trip and her going on a date in Japan with ES.  He really is a hero.

Archived