[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

sugarplum892

Still waiting for more subs to come out^^!!! I went to re-watched EP 1 and 2, because I forgot how CFT and SXR meet (poor memory here^^) and it was so sweet seeing their first moments together^^ again. I also watched some BTS, and it's so intriguing how they practiced and designed the wardrobe for the show. Everything looks so meticulous, just wow me.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Hi, Where is everybody today?  I just finished watching ep 26 - it is a great ep. First half is so hilarious.  SXR got drunk and mistaken CFT for the man who married his beloved "Xi Jie" Jiang Meng Ping - the woman he trusted so much.  So he kept bashing up CFT.  Made me lol:lol:. Yes it was made so funny

Second half is a bit sad.  I won't say more, lest it spoil all your fun. 

But the last bit was good news again. 

- First. Yes Xiao Zhou Zi returned to SXR.  SXR asked his Godfather to help and he did.  

- Second.  CFT's "piao ke", god-brother who married Jiang Meng Ping warned CFT that SXR has totally transferred his absolute trust and affections to CFT.  SXR is no longer entralled with Jiang Meng Ping.  He said after he married Meng Ping, he thought SXR can no longer trust anybody again.  But he can and it is CFT i.e SXR now sees CFT not as an outsider, but a Family Member:w00t:

I thought he was beating CFT up because CFT wouldn't let him beat the husband up. That was a hilarious scene, they looked like a dramatic bickering couple. :D I didn't know how to feel about the 2nd half, perhaps sympathy for SXR? 

Ah my goodness, the scene where CFT's cousin had to spell it out for him about SXR's feelings. That was wonderful. 

I am on the latest episode that can be found on iQiyi. I am so glad that Xiao Zhouzi is back! 

I am glad that we got to learn a little bit more about the Cheng family and why Cha Cha'er doesn't like the biggest sister...da jie did what she needed to do but she was callous. I thought we got a very interesting sneak peak into the history between CFT and wifey. I do like her, even if I don't agree with her. Just goes to show how great an actor Charmaine Sheh is lol. 

Like SXR I belong to the #NoKidsCrew lmaoooo

I hope I can get the youtube video below uploaded here. Because Youtube always place restrictions.  This video aptly decribes Cheng Feng Tai and Shang Xi Rui's "unspoken" relationship:

- SXR gave CFT a floral brooch;  CFT gave him a ring

- SXR:  "people only like me for my performance;  CFT understands me"

- CFT:  "one dream for the whole life. one life all in a dream"

@hush puppy that video speaks everything for their relationship. They are two souls in one, connecting all their feelings and thoughts with each other. In another word, they understand each other, and from one another. They sees the world differently from others, because they know there is more to life than just following orders and rules. They know that there are things that one should do, but there are also things that one shouldn't do. They care for each other through their love and support for each other. The video captured how they understand each other so well. I have to say I am definitely a fan of HXM and AY while watching this drama^^. Love SXR and CFT's relationship^^. Did you read the novel? I can't find the English translation, maybe there's none???

2 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@hush puppy that video speaks everything for their relationship. They are two souls in one, connecting all their feelings and thoughts with each other. In another word, they understand each other, and from one another. They sees the world differently from others, because they know there is more to life than just following orders and rules. They know that there are things that one should do, but there are also things that one shouldn't do. They care for each other through their love and support for each other. The video captured how they understand each other so well. I have to say I am definitely a fan of HXM and AY while watching this drama^^. Love SXR and CFT's relationship^^. Did you read the novel? I can't find the English translation, maybe there's none???

Hi rosierosie, I know all of you will like this particular video.  You said it right.  It "speaks everything for their relationship". No need for words.  It is a blessings to find a friend like that. I wish I could have one.  Even if it is of the same gender, it needs "not" necessary be "immoral"  in nature. It can just be an pure relationship, like you said:  "two souls in one".

I just finished watching ep 30.  It is another lovely episode for:

1) CFT's wife finally speaks her mind.  She told her sis-in-law (CFT's elder sister) that she knew all along that CFT does not love her.  He is good to her, because "he" is a good man.  It is a biz exchange:  CFT takes care of the business;  the wife takes care of the accounts.  But she recognises his business acumen.

CFT's wife knows that he enjoys a special relationship with SXR.  He is a totally different person when it comes to SXR. (CFT's sister tried to console her by saying that, it is because CFT's mother is a Peking Opera Artist as well).  But CFT's wife said no.  She knows better. She is a smart woman

2) Finally this episode tells us more about CFT's mother.  She was one of the several wives of CFT's wealthy father.  Meaning the sibblings are all from different mothers.  CFT's mother only had him.  I think his mother has passed away.  But before that she reminisces CFT and left instructions to one of her closest students:  should she die, to bring a momento (her album - in those days it is called a "record") to CFT, so that he can have something to remember her by.

After that CFT makes a trip back to his childhood home.  His memories flashes pass: his mother left him; his father scolding his mother..... and then the episode concludes.  I nearly come to tears seeing CFT so reflective and sad

yes @hush puppy! That's what I think about CFT's wife too. She's smart and capable...and married the dude because he looked good lmaooo because she can! The couple treat each other with respect although what she wants is love...she's not so naive to think that love is the end all and be all in a marriage. 

I was feeling some much stronger affectionate vibes between CFT and SXR in the latest few episodes. They look at each other for too long. I'm thinking about the scene where CFT left for Shanghai. It's like the whole troupe got starry eyed looking at handsome CFT lol. 

The newborn baby is cute. That's the first time I seen a baby on camera that actually looks like a newborn lol. Sometimes, the babies are clearly HUGE babies lol.

I really like the actor who plays Ning Jiulang...that older gentleman is so elegant. 

Sharing some interesting facts on Peking Opera with you all:wub:

Fun fact: Peking opera actually began as Wuhan dialect sung by Anhui opera troupes.
It was originally only called Peking Opera by Shanghainese people. That’s why even though it’s called Peking opera it has no Beijing dialect and most of us can’t understand it.

5 hours ago, crackaddict said:

yes @hush puppy! That's what I think about CFT's wife too. She's smart and capable...and married the dude because he looked good lmaooo because she can! The couple treat each other with respect although what she wants is love...she's not so naive to think that love is the end all and be all in a marriage. 

I was feeling some much stronger affectionate vibes between CFT and SXR in the latest few episodes. They look at each other for too long. I'm thinking about the scene where CFT left for Shanghai. It's like the whole troupe got starry eyed looking at handsome CFT lol. 

The newborn baby is cute. That's the first time I seen a baby on camera that actually looks like a newborn lol. Sometimes, the babies are clearly HUGE babies lol.

I really like the actor who plays Ning Jiulang...that older gentleman is so elegant. 

Hi crackaddict.  Jiulang is very sporting. Not like the revengeful uncle and others.  He knew he is ageing and therefore his vocal strength is failing. He cannot hit high notes already. Therefore he supported SXR in the voting.  SXR's uncle schemes to pit Jiulang against SXR, but he failed.  

Oh yes.  CFT and SXR are progressing very well.  When they took a Photo together, they look like a married couple.  CFT sitting down, looks like a rich, powerful husband;  SXR standing besides him, looks like an obliging wife:w00t:

15 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@hush puppy Love SXR and CFT's relationship^^. Did you read the novel? I can't find the English translation, maybe there's none???

rosierosie,  there is no English translation for the novel.  Only in Mandarin.  BTW the original writer for the novel, is also the scriptwriter for Winter Begonia.  That is why it is written so well.  The cnovel is available in baidu

Ohh such a bummer on the novel, hopefully someday it can be translated into English^^.

About CFT's wife, I sympathy with her. She is thoughtful and respectful. Even though CFT married her for the circumstances that he was in, he knows his role as her legal husband and cares for her and his bro-in-law. Their marriage is not based on love, but mutual respect for each other. I can understand from her POV how she sees that CFT doesn't love her, and how she sees CFT is different with her than when he's with SXR. Honestly said, CFT's have a good bond with SXR---A different bond that he doesn't share with his wife. SXR and CFT have more in common and share their love for opera. That is something that CFT's wife cannot understand because she doesn't share his love for opera. 

Spoiler

but really it's because CFT and SXR have a bond that cannot be denied. Because they are each other's soulmate^^.

The wait is killing me, hopefully I can watch more ep soon!!!

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

About CFT's wife, I sympathy with her. She is thoughtful and respectful. Even though CFT married her for the circumstances that he was in, he knows his role as her legal husband and cares for her and his bro-in-law. Their marriage is not based on love, but mutual respect for each other. I can understand from her POV how she sees that CFT doesn't love her, and how she sees CFT is different with her than when he's with SXR. Honestly said, CFT's have a good bond with SXR---A different bond that he doesn't share with his wife. SXR and CFT have more in common and share their love for opera. That is something that CFT's wife cannot understand because she doesn't share his love for opera. 

Reveal hidden contents

but really it's because CFT and SXR have a bond that cannot be denied. Because they are each other's soulmate^^.

The wait is killing me, hopefully I can watch more ep soon!!!

Although their marriage is not based on love,  it is still mutually beneficial to both.  They have a luxurious home, a son and wealth.  Only thing is they each do not have the emotional satisfaction.  CFT found SXR.  But as a woman and female gender, CFT''s wife cannot do the same. CFT definitely cannot tolerate that. Neither will society in general.  It will always be the same for the female gender.  Times change.  But society's expectation of women remains the same - double-standard and hypocratical.

I just finished eps 31 & 32.  Quite draggy without much excitement. 

Ep 31: CFT's wife gave SXR problems again. So SXR ran away to find CFT in Shanghai.  The best scene for this ep is when they both meet again.  They  ran towards each other and hug - like the soulmates they are

Ep 32: SXR found his long-lost younger biological sister.  Seems SXR lost his family (parents & sister) when young.  He was engrossed with watching an opera show and momentarily forgot about his family.  When he came to it, he was separated from them - forever. Both he and his sister wear one-half of a broken jade pendant.  And can you all guess who his sister is?

Remember ep 9, Fan Lian's (CFT's bro-in-law) lady friend who ended up in hospital because of a pregnancy.  Yes that was her sister.  She was scammed by a man who pretended to be his long-lost brother.  And this stupid lady scammed Fan Lian to pay off his never-ending debts.  CFT helped her.

This is such a good drama.  The casts and productions team went through so much hassles to produce a quality product for us.  But most viewers do not know how to appreciate.  Most prefer romantic dramas by young idols - no matter how repetitive or poor the scripts are

Looking forward to all your posts!

@hush puppyI know what you mean, this drama deserved so much love^^. I guess it's all about idol dramas these days. It's okay, as long as we love it^^. 

Lol when SXR fight with CFT^^!!! That was too cute, he even bit him lol. SXR is really something^^, only CFT can put up with him^^. Awww that part where the cousin mentioned SXR have taken CFT as his family:wub:. There weren't many that sweet moments, but I just love the way CFT smiled at SXR, and admired him so much. 

The side couple is so funny, Mr. Cao and his wife---Their so comedic.

By the way, what is the meaning of 'Winter Begonia?' I know begonia is a type of flower. I'm trying to understand the meaning of the titled drama^^.

2 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@hush puppyI know what you mean, this drama deserved so much love^^. I guess it's all about idol dramas these days. It's okay, as long as we love it^^. 

By the way, what is the meaning of 'Winter Begonia?' I know begonia is a type of flower. I'm trying to understand the meaning of the titled drama^^.

The Chinese title is actually an Epic Poem during China's Republican Era.    It is a long song of love centered on CFT and SXR.  The sense of historical vicissitudes of the Republic of China cannot be more than the passion of the two. The characters of these two protagonists are very unmainstream and even unflattering.

Rosierosie, where did you watch this drama?

I want to go back to ep 21 and talk about the sickening Yuan Xiaodi.  Do you remember this sicko? The pretty Ms Yu Qing is obssessed with him after following his performance.  But Yuan Xiaodi rejected her love on the grounds "class disparity".  She is from a wealthy family, and he is just an opera star.

She left her family to be his apprentice.  Again he rejected her on the grounds that a Master-Apprentice relationship is not proper.  But he can marry a rich, ugly, hot-tempered and possessive woman.

And then that wife of his humiliated Ms Yu Qing again and again.  The second time at SXR's place, Yuan has the cheek to say: "There was never ever anything between us.  If ever there was, then it should have happened a long time ago".  That was such a big Slap on the Face for an educated lady, who left her aristocratic family for him.  How could he play on a young lady's emotions like that.  It's as good as saying that he had never felt anything for her before.  She is just being a nuisance herself.

Yu Qing told SXR that after hearing this, there is no longer any meaning or reason left for her to continue being an opera artiste. (My heart breaks for her)

Ah can I join in? :D I feel like I’m all alone in following this drama :tears:

Ah I really hate that guy, right from the first confrontation where he needed SXR to save the day simply because he was too much of a coward to defend YQ against his jealous wife. <_< And then later on he kept on being close to YQ despite knowing that he has got a crazy jealous emotional pregnant wife not approving of that. And when the wife showed up he even denied having any sort of relationship with YQ, not caring that he was breaking YQ’s heart, just to save his own hide. What a coward. :angry: I pity the soft hearted YQ so much for falling for such coward, she deserves a lot better. SXR should have hit him hard with his meaningless gifts instead of selling them. :phew:

@hush puppy Yeah that Yuan Xiaodi is a coward. I didn't care for him. I feel bad for Ms. Yu Qing---she didn't deserves his cowardliness and nonsense. He is afraid of his wife, and he didn't stand up for Ms. Yu Qing. I'm glad that Ms. Yu Qing decided to let him go. She deserved better. I just watched ep 27 and 28, and it was two lovely episodes. Mr. Fan's baby is so cute----Hope he mature throughout the drama. Oh CFT oh CFT, only he would go stay with SXR when he wants to rely on someone and vent his worries. I was like, CFT have so much money, but he didn't go to a hotel or stay with Mr. Fan. Lol, I guess he just need an excuse to go stay with SXR^^. I saw the spoilers of the drama later episodes released, and it looks like the drama might end with 

Spoiler

CFT asking SXR to come with him to Shanghai??!! So, it prob would be an open-ending, like in the book>>

And welcome @fifi^^ please come back here and share your thoughts. 

Hi  @fifi, welcomed.  We need more company :w00t:   @rosierosie and myself are lonely here.

11 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@hush puppy The main ost at the beginning of the drama, when SXR said, 'Do you know what a confidant is?', and CFT says, 'I do, I have been listening,' what do you think this means? I like to hear your meaning^^.

What do you think?  Me?   I think SXR takes CFT as his confidante, and wants to know if CFT feels the same.  Luckily CFT is on the same wavelength

Since we have to wait till Friday for more episodes,  let me share something on the word - "Soulmate".   All Chinese dramas use  知自 (zhi zi) for soulmate.  But Winter Begonia uses 知音 (zhi yin).   The second syllable "yin" means "music" or "a musical note".  Here we are dealing with the performing arts - Peking Opera.  So Zhi Yin  gives a more "precise connotation". 

"Zhi Yin" originates from a touching story, during China's Warring States period.

There were two Soulmates:  an accomplished male Zither player - Boya   and his male fan - Zhong Ziqi who was very good at appreciating music.

When Boya was playing and thinking of high mountains; Ziqi would say:  "How towering, like Mount Tai".   When Boya was playing and thinking of flowing waters;   Ziqi would say:  "How vast, like rivers".  (No need for the spoken words.  Zhong Ziqi could read his thoughts and music)

When Ziqi died, Boya broke his Zither and never play again.

Ziqi was from a humble background, not well-versed in Chinese Literature.  Yet when Boya played his Zither, Ziqi was surprisingly able to accurately tell which subject each of the piece represented.

A more accurate interpretation of the word "Zhi Yin" is:  "You Are Me;  I Am You".    Someone who you can open your heart to (literally: "Exchange Heart/Mind".   Someone who is appreciative of your talents and soul

Since then, in Chinese Literature, 高山流水 "high mountains and flowing water"  became a synonym for appreciation, and a Soulmate (知音 - Zhi Yin).   A gentleman can die for his Soulmate.  That is why SXR said:  "He can Die for CFT"

@hush puppy thank you for sharing that, what a bittersweet ending for the soulmates:(. That is very beautiful the use of the word meaning.

I like what you said here, "Someone who you can open your heart to (literally: "Exchange Heart/Mind".   Someone who is appreciative of your talents and soul,"

This is how I see SXR and CFT relationship^^. When CFT replied back to SXR, his words, 'I do, I have been listening,' this means to me CFT have always believe in SXR and admired his talent and him as a person. While others only appreciating his talent as an opera performer, CFT knows SXR work hard to become who he is, because he sees how passionate SXR is when he performed, and run his Shiyun theater. Like people only sees his talent, but CFT sees the struggles and passion behind the talent that SXR displayed.

Not only that, others may see SXR as outrageous and hot-headed, improper; but CFT sees SXR kindness towards others and how he cares for those that are mistreated. In this sense, they both compliment each other because they understand each other so well---Thus, they are soulmates.

Archived