[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

sugarplum892

52 minutes ago, fifi said:

ah I’m in a dilemma now... I wanna click that spoiler button so badly but I’m afraid that it’s gonna kill me :lol:

Me too!!! I have to be patient. For sure, I will watch this drama again when it's finished. 

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

this picture, do you think this is the ending?

Winter Begonia (2020) - MyDramaList

It could be, now that you mention it... but that scares me because it looks like a goodbye to me... then... ah they better not leave my beloved SXR alone :bawling::bawling:

1 hour ago, rosierosie said:

Me too!!! I have to be patient. For sure, I will watch this drama again when it's finished. 

Ikr, the temptation is really really high though :D ah this drama is forcefully teaching me what patience is :lol:

45 minutes ago, fifi said:

It could be, now that you mention it... but that scares me because it looks like a goodbye to me... then... ah they better not leave my beloved SXR alone :bawling::bawling:

In the novel, 

Spoiler

CFT left with his family, and he gives a train ticket to SXR to follow him to Shanghai. SXR was getting ready for his play, but when his troupe came to look for him, they couldn't find him. It was left as an open ending. Perhaps SXR went after CFT and went with him, perhaps he came to say goodbye to CFT. 

The later preview does show this, so the ending might be like the novel. 

1 minute ago, rosierosie said:

In the novel, 

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

CFT left with his family, and he gives a train ticket to SXR to follow him to Shanghai. SXR was getting ready for his play, but when his troupe came to look for him, they couldn't find him. It was left as an open ending. Perhaps SXR went after CFT and went with him, perhaps he came to say goodbye to CFT. 

The later preview does show this, so the ending might be like the novel. 

I’m not a huge fan of the ending because I know that 

Spoiler

SXR would never ever leave his troupe behind no matter what in that dangerous situation because he cares too much about his people to do so - so it’s highly unlikely that he would abandon them and follow CFT just like that. But then, that’s a lot better than them dying, so I better not complain much about it. :tounge_xd:

I just finished the finale.  Wow.  What a journey!  But it was worth it.  The Director did a "Fantastic" job with the finale.  Very moving.  I salute him.  Especially with the Contrasting Scenes flashing by - in the final moments: make one remisnices; reflect and learn - from this experience. Whatever each Viewer feels about the Finale, I'm sure it will leave a powerful impact on you.  Lessons to be learnt.

Spoiler

Fan Xiang Er's awakening (CFT's wife):  She bought a Railway Ticket for SXR to join them in HongKong.  She asked CFT to give it to SXR.  CFT was surprised because she has always despised those in the Performing Arts.  Fan Xiang Er said:  "That is so.  But she realised now that SXR is different.. He is a Grateful person who value Friendship and Relationship. 

The maid was confused and asked her:  When CFT was in a coma, SXR did so many things for him: kept watch by his bedside; confront the Japanese Commander and landed in jail, risking his life; sang all night at the rooftop for his recovery.  But when CFT woke up, why did SXR quietly slipped away.  Why didn't he let CFT know what he has done for him??

Fan Xiang Er said:  CFT is willing to risk his life to save SXR from the Japanese Commander's wrath (Remember when CFT was sitting in the front seats with the Jap Commander to watch SXR's performance.  SXR stubbornly put up an offending show. The Japanese Commander would have shot SXR on the spot, had CFT not agreed to help him deliver arms).  Similarly SXR is willing to risk his life for CFT. Theirs is a special Friendship.  Why then, is there a need to report what one has done for the other?

But the Maid insisted: "The Cheng Family is so Rich.  Any Benefactor of the family will get to gain so much Financially".  Fan Xiang Er said: For someone who is willing to stick to his Principles and choose his "Arts" at gun-point, what is Rewards and Money to him?  Whatever taste Sweet to you, may not necessary be so to others.  The Maid represents the majority of people: Selfish, Greedy, Always helping others with an ulterior motive at heart.  

Fan Xiang Er is an Intelligent and compassionate woman

The Powerful Impact of the Contrasting Scenes

1) At the final moments, CFT visited SXR at his theatre to deliver the Railway Ticket. He advised him to leave with him. As the Japanese Commander will definitely come back for him again. He asked SXR: Commander Cao asked you once at gun-point:  "Would you choose Life or Arts".  You chose Arts.  I ask you now: "Would you choose Life or Arts".  SXR could not answer.  CFT left him at that

2) At the Exit Door, CFT turned back to have a one last look at SXR. He was mesmerised a second time at the Splendid Sight of SXR in his performing costume.  He turned and left. SXR stared back at his back.

3) Finally CFT and family was waiting at the Railway Station. SXR ran to join him.  Two scenes flashed by:

-  SXR reached in time. They smiled at each other with Relief!

-  SXR faded away.  CFT and wife stood waiting. Eventually the Railway Station was empty

Now it's  time for us- Viewers to make a Choice.  Which Scenario would you choose?  Either one, this is still a great drama.  Cheerio Friends!  Meet you again in another drama

5 hours ago, hush puppy said:

I just finished the finale.  Wow.  What a journey!  But it was worth it.  The Director did a "Fantastic" job with the finale.  Very moving.  I salute him.  Especially with the Contrasting Scenes flashing by - in the final moments: make one remisnices; reflect and learn - from this experience. Whatever each Viewer feels about the Finale, I'm sure it will leave a powerful impact on you.  Lessons to be learnt.

Reveal hidden contents

Fan Xiang Er's awakening (CFT's wife):  She bought a Railway Ticket for SXR to join them in HongKong.  She asked CFT to give it to SXR.  CFT was surprised because she has always despised those in the Performing Arts.  Fan Xiang Er said:  "That is so.  But she realised now that SXR is different.. He is a Grateful person who value Friendship and Relationship. 

The maid was confused and asked her:  When CFT was in a coma, SXR did so many things for him: kept watch by his bedside; confront the Japanese Commander and landed in jail, risking his life; sang all night at the rooftop for his recovery.  But when CFT woke up, why did SXR quietly slipped away.  Why didn't he let CFT know what he has done for him??

Fan Xiang Er said:  CFT is willing to risk his life to save SXR from the Japanese Commander's wrath (Remember when CFT was sitting in the front seats with the Jap Commander to watch SXR's performance.  SXR stubbornly put up an offending show. The Japanese Commander would have shot SXR on the spot, had CFT not agreed to help him deliver arms).  Similarly SXR is willing to risk his life for CFT. Theirs is a special Friendship.  Why then, is there a need to report what one has done for the other?

But the Maid insisted: "The Cheng Family is so Rich.  Any Benefactor of the family will get to gain so much Financially".  Fan Xiang Er said: For someone who is willing to stick to his Principles and choose his "Arts" at gun-point, what is Rewards and Money to them?  Whatever taste Sweet to you, may not necessary be so to others.  The Maid represents the majority of people: Selfish, Greedy, Always helping others with an ulterior motive at heart.  

She is an Intelligent and tolerant woman

The Powerful Impact of the Contrasting Scenes

1) At the final moments, CFT visited SXR at his theatre to deliver the Railway Ticket. He advised him to leave with him. As the Japanese Commander will definitely come back for him. He asked SXR: Commander Cao asked you once at gun-point:  "Would you choose Life or Arts".  You chose Arts.  I ask you now: "Would you choose Life or Arts".  SXR could not answer.  CFT left him at that

2) At the Exit Door, CFT turned back to have a one last look at SXR. He was mesmerised a second time at the Splendid Sight of SXR in his performing costume.  He turned and left. SXR stared back at his back.

Finally CFT and family was waiting at the Railway Station. SXR ran to join him.  Two scenes flashed by:

-  SXR reached in time. They smiled at each other with Relief!

-  SXR faded away.  CFT and wife stood waiting. Eventually the Railway Station was empty

Now it's  time for us- Viewers to make a Choice.  Which Scenario would you choose?  Either one, this is still a great drama.  Cheerio Friends!  Meet you again in another drama

I'm so glad someone else reached the ending as well. I literally binged all the remaining episodes when they came out and felt so sad that the series has come to an end. 

Spoiler

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I suppose compared to the alternative, it is a satisfying ending. So many people had already died, it would have been a right punch to the gut if one of the leads was killed off too. I personally want to choose the ending where SXR ran to find CFT. Initially, when I saw the two scenes, I thought it was all happening in CFT's head, which was even more gut-wrenching. I'm still a novice at learning the language so my grasp of actually reading Chinese is rather poor, hence the final text detailing what happened for the rest of the war was pretty much lost on me. As far as I understand, they're both alive and relatively well. I wish I could know if they ever found each other again though. Argh, so bittersweet!!!

16 hours ago, galea said:

I'm so glad someone else reached the ending as well. I literally binged all the remaining episodes when they came out and felt so sad that the series has come to an end. 

Hide contents

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. I suppose compared to the alternative, it is a satisfying ending. So many people had already died, it would have been a right punch to the gut if one of the leads was killed off too. I personally want to choose the ending where SXR ran to find CFT. Initially, when I saw the two scenes, I thought it was all happening in CFT's head, which was even more gut-wrenching. I'm still a novice at learning the language so my grasp of actually reading Chinese is rather poor, hence the final text detailing what happened for the rest of the war was pretty much lost on me. As far as I understand, they're both alive and relatively well. I wish I could know if they ever found each other again though. Argh, so bittersweet!!!

Dear @galea , I'm equally delighted to have you too.  Why do you always go missing? We miss your inputs dearly.

Spoiler

Yes. I agree.  I wish too that we know for sure what happen to them both eventually.  CFT - we know for sure, make it thro the War.  SXR - I'm not so sure.

Whatever it is, I'm quite satisfied. The Finale does Not feel "rushed" like most dramas do.  Most issues are quite neatly tied-up:

- SXR matured a lot.  Don't you think so. He settled his enmity with his uncle Jiang. Very wise of him to record down in reels, the Heritage of Peking Opera - his and uncle Jiang's part of the skills. So that the Art is not Lost.  How noble.  That was the reason why he decided on a truce with uncle Jiang. 

- SXR finally forgave Jiang Meng Ping. The lady who supposedly betrayed his trust in her

- so generous of him to pass the baton to Xiao Chou Zi

Charmaine Sheh: Even though her screen time is rather limited.  She commands the screen each time she comes on.

Ah. The Final Text:

It says: "In the same year (1937), the Chinese Army and people went through endless hardships in resisting the Japanese invasion. CFT together with Du Qi joined like-minded, patriotic Chinese citizens to support the Chinese Army with funds and periodic journals"

(But we know very well the Japanese Occupations did not end till 1945)

Another thing I like about Winter Begonia is, it did not go Graphic on the Brutal Rape Scene on Xiao Lai.  Most directors would not hesitate to do that,  to "dramatise" and of course to "attract more viewers".  Personally I feel that is poor taste and definitely not necessary. Such matters are best left to the imaginations.  Too much Graphic Scenes on Brutal Violations of Women only lead to societal decadence.  

For that I salute Director Hui Kai Dong.  I hope he reads this:w00t:

8 hours ago, hush puppy said:

@galea, Which drama will you be watching next?  I have not decided yet. I'm very choosy.<_<

Hahaha, that is understandable, I also find it hard to invest time in dramas that are subpar in any way. Everytime I finish watching a fantastic piece of work like Winter Begonia, I find it difficult to fully enjoy something else. WB really did bring its world and characters to life, it felt familiar to come back to each time. 

I was so damn impressed by Yin Zheng's acting throughout the entire thing. I was fully convinced that he really was SXR. HXM did a good job too as CFT, although initially I had my reservations because it seemed like his reaction to absolutely everything was that perpetual smirk of his. But I'm glad he proved me wrong on that later on. 

I did end up checking out some of Yin Zheng's other works, and started a fairly recent drama of his (Original Sin). It's a massive change but it's not bad. I do miss SXR and CFT's dynamic terribly though, even as I'm watching this new drama. :sweatingbullets:

26 minutes ago, galea said:

Hahaha, that is understandable, I also find it hard to invest time in dramas that are subpar in any way. Everytime I finish watching a fantastic piece of work like Winter Begonia, I find it difficult to fully enjoy something else. WB really did bring its world and characters to life, it felt familiar to come back to each time. 

I was so damn impressed by Yin Zheng's acting throughout the entire thing. I was fully convinced that he really was SXR. HXM did a good job too as CFT, although initially I had my reservations because it seemed like his reaction to absolutely everything was that perpetual smirk of his. But I'm glad he proved me wrong on that later on. 

I did end up checking out some of Yin Zheng's other works, and started a fairly recent drama of his (Original Sin). It's a massive change but it's not bad. I do miss SXR and CFT's dynamic terribly though, even as I'm watching this new drama. :sweatingbullets:

Thanks for your reply.  HXM is good in NIF2 also.  I did not see his other works. I cannot find any good C-dramas for now. So I'll take a rest. Do keep-in-touch dear:wub:

9 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Yes. I agree.  I wish too that we know for sure what happen to them both eventually.  CFT - we know for sure, make it thro the War.  SXR - I'm not so sure.

Whatever it is, I'm quite satisfied. The Finale does Not feel "rushed" like most dramas do.  Most issues are quite neatly tied-up:

- SXR matured a lot.  Don't you think so. He settled his enmity with his uncle Jiang. Very wise of him to record down in reels, the Heritage of Peking Opera - his and uncle Jiang's part of the skills. So that the Art is not Lost.  How noble.  That was the reason why he decided on a truce with uncle Jiang. 

- SXR finally forgave Jiang Meng Ping. The lady who supposedly betrayed his trust in her

- so generous of him to pass the baton to Xiao Chou Zi

Charmaine Sheh: Even though her screen time is rather limited.  She commands the screen each time she comes on.

Ah. The Final Text:

It says: "In the same year (1937), the Chinese Army and people went through endless difficulties in resisting the Japanese invasion. CFT together with Du Qi joined like-minded, patriotic Chinese citizens to support the Chinese Army with funds and periodic journals"

(But we know very well the Japanese Occupations did not end till 1945)

Thank you so much for explaining that :wub:

Spoiler

I agree, SXR's character development was done beautifully. It was subtly happening throughout the entire series and when I got to the part where he decided to make peace with uncle Jiang, I was taken aback by how much he had grown up compared to the beginning. I was almost, dare I say it, pitying uncle Jiang when his son was killed. He really did look like someone who had lost everything. Regardless of scummy his character was, he truly was pitiful by the end. At least he will have one less regret regarding the transmission of his art, despite having no descendants. 

I forget how amazing Charmaine Sheh is. I definitely did end up liking her character quite a bit, despite thinking that she was just another run-of-the-mill unnecessarily confrontational rich wife at the beginning. I know she was in another palace drama, but I personally don't like those quite as much so I didn't watch her there. 

Surprisingly, I ended up liking Qi Ye's Japanese friend quite a bit by the end. He wanted no part in the war or anything that happened to SXR. When he went to apologise and try to salvage what was left of his brief friendship with SXR, I felt so bad for him. Eventually, he was pushed to partake in the war anyways. Gods, did he look broken at the end after telling SXR to go away and actually watching him walk away. I know this is just a drama but I would like to think that some people did actually have that level of reluctance. I would like to think that there really were soldiers who refused so adamantly to join a wretched war that was essentially a crime against humanity. Like SXR said at some point, the war was not noble by any means, they weren't even fighting to defend their homeland, they were just invading senselessly.

It filled me with a sense of dread when I realised the drama was beginning to talk about the Japanese occupation. There was a constant danger looming over our characters, even if the scene was lighthearted, I couldn't help but think "how long is this going to last before their lives are shattered?" 

I didn't realise that the text only talked about 1937... You're right, we don't even know if SXR is still alive by the end of the war. Oh goodness, I'm going to have a very hard time moving on from this drama! 

Have to talk about the happy moments, so cute when SXR went to Shanghai and ran into CFT's arms^^. The picture on the back says, 'to my soulmate :)!!!' The photo they took makes them look like a married couple^^. I just love how their relationship, they're both so silly and when they teased each other....Just makea you laugh and share their silliness. 

Just saw ep 34!!!!....Question why did Mr. Chan shaved head man killed himself? Is it because his gf broke up with him? Awww SXR cares for her sister and niece^^, nice to see his soft side. The Japanese are in Peking, brace myself for next ep!!!

2 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Just saw ep 34!!!!....Question why did Mr. Chan shaved head man killed himself? Is it because his gf broke up with him? Awww SXR cares for her sister and niece^^, nice to see his soft side. The Japanese are in Peking, brace myself for next ep!!!

Yes, that poor guy couldn't handle heartbreaks all that well :huh: I never saw it coming though, and since he's also one of my fave characters, it really saddened me. It even made me pity the bad old uncle :lol: And the good thing abt is SXR's gonna get so protective of his niece after that ep :D

Hi! Hi! Hi! WB is a hidden gem! I am surprised that not many are here discussing about this wonderful production. I find that a lot are turned off by the Republican period production and it's such a shame.

I binged watched in 3 days and I am up to ep 39 now. I could have binged faster but I didn't want it to end! I took my time to watch each episodes closely and to understand the dialogues thoroughly. I watched RAW so there are a lot of subtleties in each scene that one need to pay close attention to. Haven't gotten the chance to watch the sub version yet so am not sure how the quality is. I find that sometimes the subbing can be lazy and English viewers missed out.on a lot of nuances.

My love for CFT and SXR is immense! Their bantering and bickering is a joy to watch. I find that CFT is very polite and courteous to his wife and always let her have her way. With SXR, he likes to create this kind of tension and this tense situation makes the viewers go...Bromance?? Utter bull!!!! 

One of my favorite scene is when SXR visited him in Shanghai and they were havig breakfast. SXR wanted to eat an egg and CFT stopped him, asking him to eat the Xialong Bun instead. The way CFT coached SXR on how to eat the bun is so endearing.....yes, bros do that to each other right??

And then the Japanese tabloid reporting SXR supposedly tyrst with a Japanese geisha. Haha, CFT was soooooo jealous you could see how angry he was. Hahaha...

The dialogues were created to steer away from BL but the scriptwriters were geniuses! The part where SXR's bro was beating him, CFT wanted to stop the fight because he didn't want SXR to get hurt. But his dialogue was that he didn't want his actor to get hurt and not be able to perform the next day! CFT also said you can hit me but don't hit him, because he is my actor and I need to protect my business. Such clever lines...

I love WB a lot and it will be ending for me soon. Sad. Wish there are more fans here to discuss though. 

I finished WB yesterday. I'm still very emotional. WB is definitely the best drama in the first Quarter of this year and the finest BL drama in recent years. (If you still insist "bromance" thing, I must ask you the definition of "bromance" in chinese.)

Farewell my concubine was also in Japan quite huge, and I still remember the film. That was the main reason why I wanted to check this drama. That said, I didn't expect anything but an awful tragedy or at least a very bleak storyline.:sweat_smile: And also, because Leslie Chang's portrayal of the main lead (I totally forgot his name, 蝶衣?) had such a massive impact on me, I automatically assumed that SXR was somewhat feminine and seductive. I was totally wrong and it made me very happy!

I just saw EP 35 and 36 on Iqiyi, and my heart:heartbreak:!!!!!!! EP 35 was so sad....... I knew what happened because of the spoilers, but that hurt!! When Xao Lai 

Spoiler

Spoiler

got raped and died :bawling:

I can tell SXR was in so much pain, that music towards the end of EP 35 was so fitting, and so sad. It makes me even more sad for them. SXR loves and cares for Xao Lai like his own sister. It pained him so much to see her go through that horrible ordeal!!! I must say Andrew Yin deserved an Oscar for his performance in WB. Him as SXR is so captivating and convincing. He is literally SXR himself. 

EP 35 was sad and depressing, so in EP 36---It was funny to see CFT joked about SXR having naked pictures of himself^^----That was a happy/joking moment for our OTP.  Let me catch up, and I will read and join you all on the ending.

Archived