[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

sugarplum892

2 hours ago, hush puppy said:

Hi  @fifi, welcomed.  We need more company :w00t:   @rosierosie and myself are lonely here.

What do you think?  Me?   I think SXR takes CFT as his confidante, and wants to know if CFT feels the same.  Luckily CFT is on the same wavelength

Since we have to wait till Friday for more episodes,  let me share something on the word - "Soulmate".   All Chinese dramas use  知自 (zhi zi) for soulmate.  But Winter Begonia uses 知音 (zhi yin).   The second syllable "yin" means "music" or "a musical note".  Here we are dealing with the performing arts - Peking Opera.  So Zhi Yin  gives a more "precise connotation". 

"Zhi Yin" originates from a touching story, during China's Warring States period.

There were two Soulmates:  an accomplished male Zither player - Boya   and his male fan - Zhong Ziqi who was very good at appreciating music.

When Boya was playing and thinking of high mountains; Ziqi would say:  "How towering, like Mount Tai".   When Boya was playing and thinking of flowing waters;   Ziqi would say:  "How vast, like rivers".  (No need for the spoken words.  Zhong Ziqi could read his thoughts and music)

When Ziqi died, Boya broke his Zither and never play again.

Ziqi was from a humble background, not well-versed in Chinese Literature.  Yet when Boya played his Zither, Ziqi was surprisingly able to accurately tell which subject each of the piece represented.

A more accurate interpretation of the word "Zhi Yin" is:  "You Are Me;  I Am You".    Someone who you can open your heart to (literally: "Exchange Heart/Mind".   Someone who is appreciative of your talents and soul

Since then, in Chinese Literature, 高山流水 "high mountains and flowing water"  became a synonym for the appreciation of a Soulmate (知音 - Zhi Yin).   A gentleman can die for his Soulmate.  That is why SXR said:  "He can Die for CFT"

Thank you for sharing that story, an interesting insight into the term :w00t:

p/s: I just watched episode 35 and it’s just too heartbreaking :tears: hopefully things won’t get worse from there :tears:

Spoiler

why did my fav character, Xiao Lai have to go, in such a way at that :bawling:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, fifi said:

Thank you for sharing that story, an interesting insight into the term :w00t:

p/s: I just watched episode 35 and it’s just too heartbreaking :tears: hopefully things won’t get worse from there :tears:

Reveal hidden contents

why did my fav character, Xiao Lai have to go, in such a way at that :bawling:

She's one of my fav too!!! I'm not that far yet, but why???!!! *hugs* We're all in this together. 

26 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

She's one of my fav too!!! I'm not that far yet, but why???!!! *hugs* We're all in this together. 

Spoiler

The Japanese killed and probably raped her too :bawling:  And problems are brewing in the city due to the Japanese trying to take over the city. A lot of the other characters are even leaving Peking too :cold_sweat: It think episode 35 and 35 are the most stressful so far. I can’t stop worrying now :cry:

8 minutes ago, fifi said:

The Japanese killed and probably raped her too :bawling:  And problems are brewing in the city due to the Japanese trying to take over the city. A lot of the other characters are even leaving Peking too :cold_sweat: It think episode 35 and 35 are the most stressful so far. I can’t stop worrying now :cry:

@fifi thank you for sharing, that was such a shock!! Please use spoiler. 

Spoiler

OMG noooooo!!! Why do they have to do that to her character!!! I don't like it!!!! I know the Japanese part is going to be brutal :(.

1 minute ago, rosierosie said:

@fifi thank you for sharing, that was such a shock!! Please use spoiler. 

Reveal hidden contents

OMG noooooo!!! Why do they have to do that to her character!!! I don't like it!!!! I know the Japanese part is going to be brutal :(.

Ah my bad, I’m new to this forum (or any forum tbh) so Idk the rules :bawling:

at which episode are you at? I don’t wanna burst the bubbles with my spoilers :grimace: Have you reached the first unexpected death yet? :cold_sweat:

9 hours ago, fifi said:

Ah my bad, I’m new to this forum (or any forum tbh) so Idk the rules :bawling:

at which episode are you at? I don’t wanna burst the bubbles with my spoilers :grimace: Have you reached the first unexpected death yet? :cold_sweat:

@fifi completely understandable^^.

I'm on ep 28. Haven't seen the first death yet, but I can feel my heartbreaking:heartbreak:.

I know the Japan invasion is going to be tough to see, the characters here are so lovable. What is the latest episode that's aired? 

4 hours ago, rosierosie said:

@fifi completely understandable^^.

I'm on ep 28. Haven't seen the first death yet, but I can feel my heartbreaking:heartbreak:.

I know the Japan invasion is going to be tough to see, the characters here are so lovable. What is the latest episode that's aired? 

I'm watching it on iQiyi and it's up to episode 36 there. But I saw this schedule online and it really confuses me even further on how they actually release the episodes (I can't read Chinese lol)

Spoiler

Winter-Begonia-Airing-Calendar-scaled.jp

@fifi and @rosierosie,  they have released all the remaining episodes already.  Right up to the last episode 49.  I don't know why.  But now we can binge-watch:P  I just watched ep 40.  But I shall not say more, lest I destroy the excitements and anticipations for you all.

I believe there are a lot of "Lurkers" here.  Pls join in the discussions.

The performance of the casts of Winter Begonia is so outstanding - especially SXR.  He deserves all the accolades and awards.  Not only the performance but also the difficulties he has to undergo: the training, the character transformation into a Peking Opera "Dan" artiste, the wearing of a special foot-gear so that she can walk like an ancient Chinese lady with "bound-feet", tolerating hours of the heavy headgears and makeups. Hm.... let's see

6 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

@fifi and @rosierosie,  they have released all the remaining episodes already.  Right up to the last episode 49.  I don't know why.  But now we can binge-watch:P  I just watched ep 40.  But I shall not say more, lest I destroy the excitements and anticipations for you all.

The performance of the casts of Winter Begonia is so outstanding - especially SXR.  He deserves all the accolades and awards.  Not only the performance but also the difficulties he has to undergo: the training, the character transformation into a Peking Opera "Dan" artiste, the wearing of a special foot-gear so that she can walk like an ancient Chinese lady with "bound-feet", tolerating hours of the heavy headgears and makeups. Hm.... let's see

Ah really? :w00t: but I gotta wait for iQiyi to update the episodes patiently though :tears:

Yeah, I just love SXR's performance in WB, despite the fact that netizens keep criticising him. He makes me feel happy when he's happy and so sad when he's sad. And I think he's just one of the cutest MC ever especially when he eats and whenever he interacts with CFT :D

The rest of the casts are just as amazing, they invoke so many different emotions in me that I was left super impressed after each episode. :wub:

Looks like on there, there are 49 episodes. VIP gets more episodes. Looks like the last ep will finish 5/3 for VIP and 5/10 for non-VIP??? Two more weeks until it's finished. I saw some spoilers, but I didn't read it. You are fast, do you have VIP @fifi

59 minutes ago, hush puppy said:

Wow they released all episodes already!!! I hope Andrew Yi gets some awards for his outstanding performance as SXR; the BTS shows their training, and every casts learned the art of Peking opera with much passion. This drama deserves many awards for its casts, filming, directing, screenplay, costumes and etc.

30 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Looks like on there, there are 49 episodes. VIP gets more episodes. Looks like the last ep will finish 5/3 for VIP and 5/10 for non-VIP??? Two more weeks until it's finished. I saw some spoilers, but I didn't read it. You are fast, do you have VIP @fifi

yeah, I got a VIP membership because of this drama because I couldn’t stand the wait :lol:  plus it was less than $1 for the first month so I decided to just go for it. Might cancel it once the drama is over though because most drama on the app don’t really interest me  :lol:

But eh, mydramalist listed that it will end on April 19, so it could be one week more to go? :D Ah I want to get to the final episode so badly but at the same time I’m sad that it’s ending :D

43 minutes ago, fifi said:

yeah, I got a VIP membership because of this drama because I couldn’t stand the wait :lol:  plus it was less than $1 for the first month so I decided to just go for it. Might cancel it once the drama is over though because most drama on the app don’t really interest me  :lol:

But eh, mydramalist listed that it will end on April 19, so it could be one week more to go? :D Ah I want to get to the final episode so badly but at the same time I’m sad that it’s ending :D

I was thinking of getting VIP too, can you watch it on computer/laptop? It says app, so I wasn't sure?

Right, this drama is so addicting!!

15 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

I was thinking of getting VIP too, can you watch it on computer/laptop? It says app, so I wasn't sure?

I'm not sure abt that since I'm accessing it on my tablet. They do have a website as well so it might or might not work on a PC/laptop. But in the membership option, they only mention Apple TV which confuses me even further :D

P/s: I checked the website, they seem to have a PC software for iQiyi

39 minutes ago, rosierosie said:

Of course you can watch it on the Laptop.  I'm watching it on mine:D

I just finished ep 47.  SXR gave another "Award Winning Performance"

Spoiler

The ending of ep 46 made my heart grieve.  I have mixed feelings as CFT ran for his life, and the mountains bandits fought against the Brutally Cruel Japanese. I have mixed feeling: worry, sadness, relief, applause

The ending of ep 46 carries on to the opening of ep 47.  The way SXR "performed" his grief (thinking that CFT has died) is Award-Winning.  It showcases what "Soulmate" means.  He could not carry on without CFT.

I don't like CFT's eldest sister here.  I understand that she is blaming SXR (his photo with the Japanese and dancing in Japanese Dance Costume) for CFT being blackmailed by the Japanese to help them. CFT did this to save SXR (remember when CFT was sitting with the Jap General in the Front Seat at SXR's performance.  And SXR stubbornly gave a performance which is offensive to the Japanese.  The Japanese General would have shot SXR to death there and then if CFT had not agreed to help them deliver their Arms.  After which CFT fought with SXR backstage.  Because SXR put him in a difficult position)

But the way CFT's eldest sister behaves, is like that of a "spoilt, rich man's daughter.  A milder version of the youngest sister.   Too shallow to ever understand others.

1 hour ago, hush puppy said:

I just finished ep 47.  SXR gave another "Award Winning Performance"

Reveal hidden contents

The ending of ep 46 made my heart grieve.  I have mixed feelings as CFT ran for his life, and the mountains bandits fought against the Brutally Cruel Japanese. I have mixed feeling: worry, sadness, relief, applause

The ending of ep 46 carries on to the opening of ep 47.  The way SXR "performed" his grief (thinking that CFT has died) is Award-Winning.  It showcases what "Soulmate" means.  He could not carry on without CFT.

I don't like CFT's eldest sister here.  I understand that she is blaming SXR (his photo with the Japanese and dancing in Japanese Dance Costume) for CFT being blackmailed by the Japanese to help them. CFT did this to save SXR (remember when CFT was sitting with the Jap General in the Front Seat at SXR's performance.  And SXR stubbornly gave a performance which is offensive to the Japanese.  The Japanese General would have shot SXR to death there and then if CFT had not agreed to help them deliver their Arms.  After which CFT fought with SXR backstage.  Because SXR put him in a difficult position)

But the way CFT's eldest sister behaves, is like that of a "spoilt, rich man's daughter.  A milder version of the youngest sister.   Too shallow to ever understand others.

ah I’m in a dilemma now... I wanna click that spoiler button so badly but I’m afraid that it’s gonna kill me :lol:

3 hours ago, rosierosie said:

Love the translation of the ost in the comments. This video makes me teary. Not really spoilers, but it shows some scenes that haven't air yet.

the video is not available in my country  :bawling:

Archived