[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] Winter Begonia 鬓边不是海棠红

sugarplum892

On 7/3/2020 at 6:04 AM, megumi09 said:

The last episode came out in April (for non VIP Viewers Beginning of May), so I think, it's ok, not to put any spoiler marks.

Anyway, I really really hate to say that... but, the Ending in the novel is almost same. That means, oe.

I still don't finish the novel, but I checked last pages just because of curiosity,

after i read some comments on youtube, twitter & mydramalist.

In the novel, at the curtain call, Shang XiRui was not on the stage nor backstage, and Cheng FengTai waited for him on the platform.

The author of the novel was also involved in the production as one of the scriptwriters.

That said, the ending must not be so different from the original novel.

Shang Xirui running to the railway station, wasn't mere illusion of Cheng FengTai.

As for the meaning of ending, someone wrote both the drama and the novel lean positive & I agree with this reviewer.

There are so many scenes, which foreshadow Shang Xurui leaving Beiping.

After all, his closest friend/family Shaolai was gone (at least in the drama).

Now, he has his successor, XiaoZhouzi.

(I'm not sure, how this part was executed in the novel. XiaoZhouzi in the novel wasn't his official disciple,

so maybe this part was also drama original. maybe?)

There was also a scene, Shang XiRui asking audience to support other Shuiyunlou Actors.

It was not his intention, but he kinda prepared for his departure from his troupe.

His one and only scriptwriter has already gone to HK.

Was there any major reason, why he still had to stay in Beijing?

I also read that one of Shang Xirui's models, legendary Mei Lanfang, refused to sing during Japanese occupation and kept growing a beard. Shang Xirui would have done that, too. However, what kind of strong reasons he had, staying in Beiping in spite of everything, if he couldn't sing? While Mei Lanfang came from Beiping/Beijing, Shang Xirui didn't even come from the city.

Most important thing is, however, the fact, that he himself had already chosen Cheng FengTai over the opera.

- he refused to perform his new play and waited for Cheng FengTai.

- he was ready to give up literally everything for nursing Cheng FengTai.

- he didn't even hesitate to take a risk damaging his voice for Cheng FengTai.

Shang Xirui couldn't answer, when Cheng FengTai asked him, if he chooses his life or the opera.

Partly because he was trapped by his own idea and also he didn't realize, what it would mean this time around.

But, I think, when he saw that empty entrance, the truth hit him hard.

His face! That was one of the most beautiful and heart aching scenes.

As an Opera singer, he also owed Cheng Fengtai a play. He still didn't finish playing his XiaoFengXian in front of his General!

This is also another reason, why Shang Xirui had to be with Cheng Fentai!

So, everything, especially during the last couple of episodes, indicates that Shang Xirui chose Cheng FengTai.

It's not that important, if he caught the train. Even if he couldn't, he eventually went to HK, if he wanted.

And I'm pretty sure, that he did.

Of Course, they didn't mention anything about Shang Xurui in the final text. Otherwise, what the meaning of oe is?

As for that final text, i read someone's comment on douban. It said, Du Qi and Cheng FengTai were not so close,

that means, Shang Xirui contributed for their collaboration & that is also another evidence that Shang Xirui was in HK.

Surely, there are a lot more details, which i missed, but it's kinda hard to rewatch last three episodes...

Sorry for discussing on a post months ago. I just binge watched WB in around 1 week, while I was working on my crafts, and ended this drama few hours ago.... I'm still trying to grasp the feeling of this drama. 

What got me attracted to this drama was the portrayal of the vibe in China history. Just like how I started on yanxi. After watching this, I'm attracted by how YZ managed to portray the switch of gender in a performance by a split second. Even with make up, before and after performance, he managed to present different gaze and the smile. Also on how a performer cherish his or her props, and the money and effort invested in them. As I am a 90s chinese kid living in Singapore, a country that is multi racial, yet lack of cultural documentation and history, I try to indulge in these dramas and movies to understand how us, Chinese live in the past, and I am weak in the language. I can only listen and speak, but not read simple Chinese. Hence I crave this kind of visual 'lessons' related to history.

While watching the drama, I relate to SXR's actions and it pains me to see him suffer. To me, he's more like the main character thanks to how YZ's acting. I only watched him in the 1st half of journey to the west, hence I see him as a comical character with somewhat childlike features. Which he used to express the innocence of SRX in the drama. And the change of gaze and body expressions when performing, its admirable in an actor. :thumbsup:

The last 2 episodes, made me cry quite abit, seeing how SXR grief in front of the coffin. Even his senior/shi jie couldn't bear to see him cry so badly, it was like how he was ready die together with CFT. Shijiu and the rest of shuiyin lou also mentioned and was worried about how SXR will hurt himself or even die, if CFT dies. When he later managed to stay by CFT's side, and is able to give suggestions for his treatment, it was a slightly better. But he later passed shuiyin lou to zhouxiang because he didn't have any interest in arts if CFT is not there. It also meant, if he dies, SXR is ready to follow him, with no worries left.

The stabbing incident is on impulse of SXR, but because of this incident, Fanxianger understood CFT's position in SXR's heart, and that there's no meaning to try to break them apart, unless she wants SXR to lose his life.

Sataka refrained from killing SXR in order to send the message that SXR is corrupted, that he can still live despite hurting him. But instead, SXR's singing in the prison announced his arrival in the prison, and that he was innocent, unlike the rumours. That in turn kind of boosted their morale, and helped to spread the news to the city. 

Xuezhicheng came to help SXR leave the prison by pressuring Sataka to let SXR off. Sataka insisted SXR to perform the Japanese arts before letting SXR take CRT's meds. In turn, SXR expressed his views on how sad it is that the Japanese do not respect their own arts. That was a painful scene to Xuezhicheng. Xuezhicheng was introduced to SXR before the tension between the both countries by Qiye. He is a fan of arts, that admired SXR after being introduced tonhim, that he even learnt the language, just because he wants to be able to communicate with SXR and desire to forge a friendship with the artist. Like Qiye, its a love from artist to artist, as a fan. But he love is devoted to the Japanese arts while SXR is devoted to opera, Chinese arts. There are similarities and differences in the various arts. But their arts is based on their countries identities, a respect for the craft, where performers spent years perfecting them. The comment SXR made, triggered Xuezhicheng, a lover for Japanese arts that Sataka, a fellow Japanese disrespected his own country's arts and honor by forcing a non Japanese, untrained to the arts, like as it it was a clown's play. To Xuezhicheng, it was like his idol insulted his love and arts, but SXR is a beloved performer that he deeply loved and respected. Which is why he helped SXR and spared his live, without allowing the performance to happen, by agreeing to join the army. That would probably be the last time he will help SXR, as that comment broke the illusion he has for SXR as a fan for an idol. By joining the army it was like how CFT told SXR, a war will turn a sweetest person into the scariest person. Xuezhicheng will turn into the nastiest soldier, as a person with is deepest love and illusion broken.

SXR sung on the roof until CFT woke, and left right immediately. Like Fanxianger mentioned, it is probably because he does not want CFT to feel bad for what SXR did for him, while in coma. Which might probably the reason why he refused to leave. It was too rushed for SXR, as the ticket was given to him right before the train leaves, and on the day of the performance.

The flashbacks of Xiaolai by SXR, and Fanxianer by CFT, I believe it represents their responsibility.

Shuiyin lou is a business that is like a family, with CFT the father, and SXR as the mother of the family. Even he can't continue to sing in Beijing, he would not bear to leave Zhouxiangyun to fend for Shuiyin lou against the Japanese alone. Xiaolai represents is wife, his family, just like the rest of Shuiyin lou, and his whole life experience. Beijing may not be a place where he can stay in, longer. But even if SXR decides to leave, he will only leave with Shuiyin lou.

And just like Shuiyin lou to SXR, CFT considers to miss the train to persuade and help SXR leave Beijing. The flashback of his wife reminds him of his responsibility of the head of his family, that if they do not leave soon, his wife, son and everything he sacrificed his studies for, might be in danger.

The open ending, SXR may not reach before they leave, but can plan the move of his troupe. And if he reached in time, he had nothing on him, other than what he was wearing. Even though the Chengs were rich, its unlikely for someone to move to another city permanently without preparing for it especially during the era. So if reach in time, it mostly for a goodbye, as the previous 1 wasn't long enough.

So the open ending was actually reasonable as to what I interpret. But I still kind of want more, of YZ's performance of a somewhat feminine kind of character. As I mentioned above, because I liked watching how he was able to switch in a split second.

As for Yuqing, I felt that SXR thinks of her as a muse. When he heard of her singing the 1st time,  he probably can feel her love for her teacher, that it meant her love for him represents her whole life. Which he can relate to her, through his feelings to CFT. Which is why he agreed to allow her to stop performing, as he knows, if he tries to trigger her, she'd do drastic damage to herself like Chenruixiang. Although Chenruixiang died after that incident. Those 2 to SXR, were his respected peers, who he respected equally as much as himself. Because he felt how that like him, they loved opera and treats opera as a part of their lives, their identity. And of course, also because they were as of similar age, that any progress between them is worth observing and learning. And that is also why SXR always felt sad, when anyone of the people in his industry have a bad ending. And also why he made peace with Jiang old man, and his senior/shijie. After all those tragedies to people he respected and lived through the same as him, he understood that it is best to forgive and forget the meaningless fights, as long as they did not do things that were against humanity. Since the peers in his industry probably suffered as much as him, in order to get to their position  the way they had today. This is the growth of SXR that were presented throughout the drama.    

I probably won't read the novel, but I would love to have a second season to the drama. 

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived