[Upcoming Drama TBA] Prometheus, 프로메테우스

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/10/haewadal-entertainment-explains-why-ha-ji-won-left-the-cast-of-upcoming-drama-prometheus

Haewadal Entertainment explains why Ha Ji Won left the cast of upcoming drama 'Prometheus'

ha-ji-won

Ha Ji Won's agency Haewadal Entertainment has explained why the actress had to leave the cast of the upcoming drama 'Prometheus'.

On October 11, the label stated, "As filming for the drama was pushed back from the original schedule, Ha Ji Won had to leave 'Prometheus' due to scheduling conflicts." The drama is currently in the process of finding other actresses to take the lead female role.

As previously reported, Ha Ji Won was reported to have joined the cast of the big budget drama also starring Jin GooPark Ki Woong, and Hollywood actor Lee Ki Hong. 'Prometheus' centers around the story of a former North Korean agent who ends up as a day laborer in South Korea, and the covert operations fighting against nuclear experiments in North Korea. It's expected to air in the first half of 2019. 

I am glad that Ha Ji Won`s agency responded why she dropped out from the project. In the majority of cases, it is about schredules reasons. It is plausible because when the filming is delaying too much, the actors could lose other oportunities. Maybe she has another and better offer.

Prometheus will find another lead actress but more important that I want this drama to be good. Almost all the action spy kdramas I have seen did not meet my expectations. I wish them good luck.

16 hours ago, larus said:

I am glad that Ha Ji Won`s agency responded why she dropped out from the project. In the majority of cases, it is about schredules reasons. It is plausible because when the filming is delaying too much, the actors could lose other oportunities. Maybe she has another and better offer.

Prometheus will find another lead actress but more important that I want this drama to be good. Almost all the action spy kdramas I have seen did not meet my expectations. I wish them good luck.

Hi @larus who do you think would be a good fit as the lead? And who works well with Jin Goo? What do you recommend for action spy drama that might meet expectations? Curious. Thank you. <_<

11 hours ago, meechuttso said:

Hi @larus who do you think would be a good fit as the lead? And who works well with Jin Goo? What do you recommend for action spy drama that might meet expectations? Curious. Thank you.

I don`t know who will be the lead actress (I have in mind some names)  but I am sure they will find a suitable actress. I hope it will be an actress close in age to Jin Goo because the leader of NIS team has to have a strong presence, experience and won`t be a younger actress. I think Jin Goo will work well with everyone.

I think I prefere spy movies and not dramas for this kind of genre.  For me, a spy drama has to concentrate in the plot, mystery/twists and its characters development and not spend money solo in the fighting scenes. The action scenes are important but they are not everything in a drama. I recently watched the movie Argo (2012) and the hero doesn`t win the day through fights and explosions but with his boldness and coolness under pressure. I want a badass heroine like that. Let see how good the plot is going to be in this drama. They had two years to prepare it. 

I don`t know if the plot has remained the same but I read somewhere that our heroes will go undercover in Noth Korea. I found that interesting and I can see how much tension it could generate this premise. I hope we can see that.

A few reactions of netizen. The majority are  guessing that it must be problems. A big budget drama and they don`t have a PD yet?

Ha Ji Won leaves upcoming MBC drama "Prometheus"

0000907341_001_20181010213230062.jpg

[+918, -8] They don't even have a PD, it looks like the actress left because there's no PD

[+326, -13] They don't have a PD 

[+294, -7] Understandable with no PD. It's common sense that she'd leave. Let's see who you're going to throw the 30 billion won at

[+147, -3] I only wanted to see Lee Ki Hong but he got cast in this crap drama

[+166, -72] Cast Kim Ok Bin... She can do well 

[+54, -5] If Ha Ji Won won't do it, it means there's a lot of problems

[+905, -6] She's been cast but she won't adjust her schedule for it. Means there must be a big reason behind it

[+364, -11] If you look at the story, it looks like a disaster, yet they want to pour 30 billion won on it. MBC what are you even doing

[+351, -13] I already know how the drama will go, the US intervenes in a situation where the North and South agree to denuclearize and prevents reunification, isn't that what you were going with

[+247, 16] As soon as I saw the synopsis I knew it'd go bust. Stop it with North Korean spies, it's boring and I don't like watching this. I don't want top actors to join either, enough with North Korea.

Just like some people sugested,  Kim Ok Bin is a good choice for the female lead. She was awesome in her last action movie.

On 10/10/2018 at 11:04 PM, darr said:

The drama may take a different direction now considering how north and south Korea are at the moment. I'm just guessing.

You are right. . There is an article talking about this drama and the changes. Maybe they need more time to prepare for those chances. I can see how conflictual schredules could appear for others too.

Google translate

Since April 27, President Moon Jae In and North Korean President Kim Jong Eun have met, North Korea has become a country that can not be said to be far away. Inter-Korean relations are also changing in popular culture. The drama and the film have been naturally involved in theater, including dealing with North Korea as a boundary object in dramas and films, and appearing for the future with the premise of unification.

Modification of script for change in inter-Korean relations <Prometheus>, which is about to air next year, changed the setting itself in the inter-Korean reconciliation mood. Two years ago, the plot in the planning stage was about the way North Korea treated nuclear weapons. However, in the situation where the scenario has been advanced a lot, revision of the script became inevitable when the inter-Korean reconciliation mood was radically advanced. One of the producers of Prometheus said, "I can not elaborate on the original content, but I changed the setting and rewrote the script to reflect the world situation in the inter-Korean reconciliation atmosphere." In the end, a multinational secret organization that determined that the peace process on the Korean peninsula threatened their interests was changed to a "terrorist operation to prevent the denuclearization negotiations" and a "confrontation between South and North intelligence agents to keep peace and hope".

http://www.hani.co.kr/arti/culture/culture_general/865430.html

MBC Announces It No Longer Plans To Air New Drama “Prometheus”

by J. Lim

54500522a4e2406ca2255329d8fc92d7.jpeg?s=

MBC has announced that they no longer plan to air the new drama “Prometheus.”

A source from MBC stated on October 16, “The decision to air ‘Prometheus’ had never been finalized before this decision. We had been in constant talks regarding the drama and we have come to a final decision that we will not broadcast the drama. The decision was made before Ha Ji Won’s departure.”

“Prometheus” had been set to air in the first half of 2019 on MBC. The cast would include Ha Ji Won, Jin Goo, and Park Ki Woong. The drama would tell the story of a former North Korean officer who gets involved in an incident in Russia and finds himself working as a laborer in South Korea, and an intelligence officer who aims to denuclearize the Korean peninsula.

However, it was announced on October 10 that Ha Ji Won had left the drama. Her agency had stated that they would be releasing an official statement at a later date explaining her decision.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1246185wpp/mbc-announces-no-longer-plans-air-new-drama-prometheus

5 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

MBC too drops the show.. I guess there is some problems with the show!! 

Now we have a clear reason why she dropped the drama. There are problems and I think she made the right decission. I won`t be surprized if the other confirmed cast will leave the project.

Edit:

In an article it was said that the other actors are upset with the situation of the drama. The production company will solve the problem of casting and organization as soon as possible. However, they have not offered concrete alternatives.

1 hour ago, icyphoenix said:

@larus they confirmed ki hong lee for it!! Still hoping it doesn't go waste.. But really skeptic Now.. I guess big budget ones r really problematic!! HaJiWon is a professional, she knows when to back off!! 

They still  have Jin Goo, Park Ki-woong and Ki Hong Lee who are officially confirmed. If there is a longer delay, It`s possible to have a different cast soon. Yeah, the big budget dramas are problematic. Maybe they are in discussion with KBS again (maybe I read somewhere) but who knows how it is going to end? Just look at drama Four Men. It is better to not start at all if there are problems.

If the production will have the money and everything prepared, the drama will air eventually, even if they will change the cast and PD, writer, the network etc.

In 2011, drama Poseidon (another action drama) lost Eric, Kim Kang Woo, Kim Ok Bin  and then they cast Choi Si Won, Lee Si Young, Lee Sung Jae. I did not watch the drama but it wasn`t a rating succes if I remember corectly.

It is a lot of pressure on the cast and crew, because it is a big budget drama. I don`t care for the ratings but I worry a lot for the people who will join this show. If it won`t be a succes, the disappointment is amplified if it ends up not being a hit. I hope everything will go well. I really do.

1 minute ago, larus said:

They still  have Jin Goo and Ki Hong Lee who are officially confirmed. If there is a longer delay, It`s possible to have a different cast soon. Yeah, the big budget dramas are problematic. Maybe they are in discussion with KBS again (like I read) but who knows how it is going to end? Just look at drama Four Men. It is better to not start at all if there are problems.

If the production will have the money and everything prepared, the drama will air eventually, even if they will change the cast and PD, writer, the network etc.

In 2011, drama Poseidon (another action drama) lost Eric, Kim Kang Woo, Kim Ok Bin  and then they cast Choi Si Won, Lee Si Young, Lee Sung Jae. I did not watch the drama but it wasn`t a rating succes if I remember corectly.

It is a lot of pressure on the cast and crew, because it is a big budget drama. I don`t care for the ratings but I worry a lot for the people who will join this show. If it won`t be a succes, the disappointment is amplified if it ends up not being a hit. I hope everything will go well. I really do.

If things aren't good at beginning.. Ppl begin to suspect that there is problem with the show n will not have the interest to watch it!! Hope it's not the case for this drama!! 

26 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

If things aren't good at beginning.. Ppl begin to suspect that there is problem with the show n will not have the interest to watch it!! Hope it's not the case for this drama!! 

It is still early and they did not give many updates with the progress of this drama. They can make it just right but they have to know very well what is the direction of this show, to be confident in this project. We don`t know who is the PD and the writers. I hope they got good writers.  We don`t have the whole cast. The executive producer is still Choi Ji Young ? He was the producer for another blockbuster, Iris, so he has experience.  Since Iris, there wasn`t another spy action drama to make it big. I don`t know if Korean audience like that much this genre anyway.

7 minutes ago, larus said:

It is still early and they did not give many updates with the progress of this drama. They can make it just right but they have to know very well what is the direction of this show, to be confident in this project. We don`t know who is the PD and the writers. I hope they got good writers.  We don`t have the whole cast. The executive producer is still Choi Ji Young ? He was the producer for another blockbuster, Iris, so he has experience.  Since Iris, there wasn`t another spy action drama to make it big

Hoping they got the best.. Hope they schedule it up properly soon!! I have liked JG since DOTS.. Hope his efforts of Joining the show doesn't go waste!! 

5 minutes ago, icyphoenix said:

Hoping they got the best.. Hope they schedule it up properly soon!! I have liked JG since DOTS.. Hope his efforts of Joining the show doesn't go waste!! 

They better got the best writers and PD. With that budget it will be a shame if they did not put better effort in finding the best screenwriters.

I love Jin Goo too. If he will go with this project fine, If he will find another one it is alright as well. I really want this spy action drama to be a success/ good. We`ll hear other news soon. Fingers crossed to be good news.

• 1 month later...

New post from "DramaCurrent"

Highly anticipated KDrama “Prometheus” has suddenly become more bust than blockbuster.  News broke today that the remaining main cast, Jin Goo and Park Ki Woong, have joined Ha Ji Won in leaving the drama.

Prometheus Ha Ji Won, Jin Goo, Park Ki Woong  

The exodus began on October 10 when Ha Ji Won announced she would be leaving her role as female lead.  She explained her reason for leaving was simply a scheduling conflict.  Still, her departure came as a great blow to the production, especially since the role was written with Ha Ji Won specifically in mind.

Then today (November 27) Jin Goo and Park Ki Woong announced they will also be leaving “Prometheus.”  Their agencies so far have refused to comment on their reasons for leaving.

What Happened to “Prometheus?”

While it at first is puzzling that three, highly professional actors would bail on a drama they committed to months ago, a recent press release from MBC may give us a clue.

It was originally thought that “Prometheus” would air on MBC in 2019, but the line-up released by the station in early October excluded “Prometheus.”  MBC explained in their recent press release that they had never committed to airing the drama.

“We had a discussion and final decisions were made not to air the drama on our channel.”  [source]

MBC’s decision was made just prior to Ha Ji Won’s departure.  With MBC out, “Prometheus” has been left without an air date, broadcast station, or main cast — and with a dubious future.

It has been sad to watch “Prometheus” fall into ruin.  There were so many reasons to be excited about this drama: the espionage story was fresh and intense (see below,) the cast was incredible, and the budget rivaled many Hollywood movies.  But with the cast gone and broadcast stations playing hard to get, it doesn’t seem like we will be getting this spy-thriller any time soon.

Source: https://dramacurrent.com/2018/11/27/ha-ji-won-jin-goo-and-park-ki-woong-leave-prometheus/

Jin Goo And Park Ki Woong Leave “Prometheus” Following Ha Ji Won

by J. Lee
659e1f85e6cb4500af394da1faa1c705.jpeg?s=

Upcoming drama “Prometheus” is flying a difficult flight.

On November 27, Jin Goo‘s agency BH Entertainment revealed, “Jin Goo is confirmed to leave ‘Prometheus.'”

Ha Ji Won, the actress who was going to play the lead with Jin Goo, confirmed her dropout in October. Previously, Ha Ji Won’s agency did not share any specific detail when they confirmed that she will leave the drama.

In addition to Jin Goo, Park Ki Woong, who is managed by the same agency as Ha Ji Won, also confirmed that he will not participate in the drama today.

“Prometheus” was originally slated to air on MBC, but these plans were canceled and the drama’s broadcasting schedule also got pushed to 2019.

MBC addressed this issue and said, “The broadcasting of ‘Prometheus’ was never a confirmed matter. We had a discussion and final decisions were made not to air the drama on our channel.” MBC added that not broadcasting this drama was already confirmed before Ha Ji Won’s departure.

‘Prometheus’ will tell the fictional story of North Korean nuclear scientists gone missing during a time when global political powers are trying to denuclearize the world.

JL Media Group, the production company of ‘Prometheus,’ has been holding auditions to cast lead roles and other roles.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1270039wpp/jin-goo-park-ki-woong-leave-prometheus-following-ha-ji-won

I am not surprised that the other cast left the project. I think the drama has no cast at this point. I saw earlier that Naver removed Lee Ki Hong from the cast of the drama page and there wasn`t any news about him leaving.  There is a chance the production of this drama will continue but I don`t want that if they can`t prepare well for filming. It was an ambitious project but it seems to be difficult to make it come true.

I totally understand the actors. Hope they will take other projects.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/11/jin-goo-and-park-ki-woong-also-leave-the-cast-of-upcoming-drama-prometheus

Jin Goo and Park Ki Woong also leave the cast of upcoming drama 'Prometheus'

Park Ki Woong, Jin Goo

Jin Goo and Park Ki Woong have left the cast of 'Prometheus.'

On November 27, it is announced the two actors ultimately decided to leave the upcoming drama. Before this, actress Ha Ji Won, who was set to play the female lead, announced her departure from the production. The drama was scheduled to air on MBC, however, that has also fallen apart.

'Prometheus' centers around the story of a former North Korean agent who ends up as a day laborer in South Korea, and the covert operations fighting against nuclear experiments in North Korea. It's scheduled to air in the first half of 2019. 

Stay tuned for more updates. 

That was the right decision.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2015/11/mbc-adapts-contract-marriage-webtoon-cat-and-dog/
Because MBC is still unable to do the 'Cat And Dog' drama.
They're very irresponsible on these issues.

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019] Prometheus, 프로메테우스

Blockbuster action drama Prometheus loses Ha Ji-won, Jin Gu, Park Ki-woong

by tineybeanie

pkw_hjw0.jpg

Uh-oh. Things don’t look too good for planned MBC action drama Prometheus. This drama has been plagued with a bunch of production issues since its conception in 2016. Initially, it was backed by KBS, but (possibly due to the high cost of production) it was dropped and subsequently picked up by MBC. Originally, Prometheus was slated for broadcast in 2018, but the air date has been pushed back to “sometime next year.” The latest controversial news state that its three lead actors have dropped out of the project.

They had such a good cast too… Ha Ji-won (Hospital Ship), Jin Gu (Untouchable), and Park Ki-woong (Return) were going to play the main characters in what was supposed to be the next big action blockbuster drama about a palpable nuclear threat resulting from the tense North-South Korea relationship. However, they have reportedly all dropped out for personal reasons.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/11/blockbuster-action-drama-prometheus-loses-main-lead-trio/

Archived