[Drama 2018] Let's Hold Hands And Watch The Sunset, 손 꼭 잡고 지는 석양을 바라보자

larus

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt-hxvefS5RjeIAqFH2UQimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfcOtaPcw9mT34ffo4alsimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf1rLLwy8GT9S2BAsiLl8

Even when things get blurry and you seem to lose sight of what you thought maybe even believed.  Yet with everything going on around you,through you and because of you the one thing that that never felt blurry or you ever questioned was your love.  I was just thinking of how confused I feel about where I started and where I was somewhere in the middle and where I am now with regards to this marriage and relationship.  I went from liking DY to not liking him at all to now feeling as if maybe I am not sure about how I feel...

When he asked to start over and then placed that ring on the table and you could really feel his pain and that no matter how blurry it may feel what he feels for HJ as bad as I hate to admit it seems real.  I loved that he remembered his promise to buy her that ring that the contract was important but he wanted her to have what he never was able to give even knowing back then how much she deserved it and more.  He understands his weaknesses and takes full blame as he should for what happened...

Yet how hard would it be to know the woman you love and had built a life with was dying and you couldn't do anything to change it.  Not only that he would have to regret all the things he wasn't able to do for her and give to her not only money and things but maybe even in his guilt in not giving her the one thing she needed most the security in knowing he married her not out of pity but out of love for the woman she is...

Even later when she asked him if he wanted to go to Bali and he came back with all the reasons he couldn't including giving up this big chance.  I kept thinking to myself is that big chance more important than giving the mother of his child and the only wife he has ever known or had the only trip and chance she would ever have.  Not till next week, next month or even next year but EVER for she has no future, no promises, not even promised tomorrow.  And then she shares her true self where could I find a man like you...

Then it dawned on me with a view in my mind of him rushing to her throwing his so called big chance away just like he did that diamond ring it's as if I could see it in my mind.  I love the doctor but for some reason I love second chances when it comes to love and those who lose their way but realize just what they had and fight to get back to where they once were.  In this case maybe even better because this time there won't be any doubts or regrets it will just be about forgiveness and willingness to trust in what they have always had just never took the time to say it out loud...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure (based on the preview) that I will be able to endure watching HJ's suffering and pain that she will have to go through. Besides being emotionally draining, it also reminds me that if I have anything to say - I need to say it today. Just thinking it is not enough - HJ's husband is an example of that. Why does he say such things to her - "I can't give up my bright future for you"? He doesn't know if she will die now or tomorrow. 

Personally, I will be glad when this show is over. I will stick with it but...I'm beginning to think I'm one to those people who like to be emotionally tortured. Probably if I researched it will be listed in the DSM-V as some kind of disorder.

4 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Then it dawned on me with a view in my mind of him rushing to her throwing his so called big chance away just like he did that diamond ring it's as if I could see it in my mind.  I love the doctor but for some reason I love second chances when it comes to love and those who lose their way but realize just what they had and fight to get back to where they once were.  In this case maybe even better because this time there won't be any doubts or regrets it will just be about forgiveness and willingness to trust in what  they have always had just never took the time to say it out loud...

I too hope he goes running back, throwing it all away to be with his one true love.  That is the only way that HJ will know that he really loves her.  There is too much left unsaid between them.  He will realize it, I just hope HJ isn't too far gone to even know him or recognize what is going on when he does.   I felt like DY said the things he did about the Bali trip because he knew she wanted him to be happy and have a successful future after she is gone.  If she had said she would start over with him, I think he would have thrown it all away for her.  The only thing is, she keeps mentioning the Dr. and he isn't sure if she is in love with the Dr. or not.  He wants her to have her passionate love.  I also like the Dr. and feel sad that he has fallen for HJ, but she is still in love with DY, and I think he knows it. 

6 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

Personally, I will be glad when this show is over. I will stick with it but...I'm beginning to think I'm one to those people who like to be emotionally tortured. Probably if I researched it will be listed in the DSM-V as some kind of disorder.

Bless your heart, WELCOME to Soompi and to Drama life so glad you are here with us.  Your so right,  it often does feel as if I have a disorder LOL. But for some reason I find that dramas such as this give a feel of real life.  In that no matter how bad or hard things often feel. Being reminded that someone, somewhere has it worse and we often forget that in our busy lives getting from one place to the other.  Rushing through life day after day doing those things in order to survive.  Maybe realizing that just breathing in and out is more than enough.

When I think of HJ and what she has been through and sacrificed not for herself but for the man she loves and has always loved.  I better understand her character now than when I started.  When wondering how can she love a man who left her alone after giving him so much?  She can because from the very beginning he was the one who saved her, stood beside her and stayed with her and like she said herself where does one find a man like that...

For when you have really had a prince in your life.  No matter if or when he becomes a frog.  Maybe the truth is through the eyes of love she is always able to see.  Not what others see or believe but through love alone.  That beneath all of that to her he is and will always be her prince...

Still this story captures a love story about the lack of communication and yet through their eyes and even silence they were able to capture my heart.  That kept me coming back maybe it's not so much about being tortured but instead about being given so many different views of love... The love for just one more day, the love for those around us, the love for what we could of and should of said or done that slips away everyday.  Most of all the love of all those memories that are engraved upon our hearts through life that remind us of when, whom and how we love and those whom loved us...

Hi everyone! Huge Han Hye Jin fan here. I've been as active on soompi as much as she has been acting! So it's been a hiatus of sorts. Great to see her in a new drama where she's playing a rather complex role and there is a new maturity and depth that she's bringing to the screen. I can't say I like this particular drama much though - unless there is a lot lost in the translation of the subtitles, but there is just too much convoluting and beyond realistic plots in the story line, not to mention the rather incredulous character of DY. It's almost at the end, so I hope there is a beautiful ending. I'm rooting for the "reconciliation" (though that's not really the right word because there wasn't really a real rift to begin with) between HJ and DY, that they make it to Bali together and the scene shows them doing as the title says - holding hands and watching the sunset.

Two subplots that could have brought this drama to a higher level if more scenes were given to them are the love between HJ and her daughter, and the love between HJ and her Dad. I feel the scenes between them have been the most moving.

When one faces death, or is near death, one treasures the loves in one's life.  A new romance would probably be far from one's mind - that's why I just can't buy the doctor and HJ relationship. But that's just me. Thanks for all your comments which I've been enjoying reading. I can't wait for Han Hye Jin's next drama - I hope it'll be less frustrating to watch than this one! Oh for another Jejungwon or Jumong - like drama!!! :blush:

@USAFarmgirl, please help me to understand these last few episodes.  I am going to end up being crazy trying to figure out DY and his feelings.  I hate that they keep showing everyone just sitting, or standing and we don't know what they are thinking about or feeling.  DY disappears for 4 days and I thought it was because of HJ until I watched with subs.  He was upset because he had to give up the contract because of DH.  He didn't want her to lose everything or go to jail because of it. No contact at all with HJ, SB or his father in law.  HJ could have died during that time and he evidently didn't care.  I guess he really didn't love HJ.  The way he acted when DH found him, in that tiny room, was the most emotion I have seen him portray during the whole drama.  He wasn't upset that his wife was dying,  he was upset that she had come back to Korea , not because of him, but because of the building she wanted him to build.  ??????????????  I don't get it.  We need more detail as to what is actually going on.  I am not able to read their minds.  After last weeks episodes, I had hoped he would give up the contract and let go of DH which would prove he loved HJ.  I'm disappointed in him again.   

No offense to the writer and director, but I seriously feel like they’re on drugs at the rate this story is going. I am just so confused. Like, the random angry outbursts. I justified HJ’s angry fits as a symptom of her brain tumor. But now the other character’s behavior...I have no physical or mental ailment I can blame their irrational actions. I really don’t understand why DY is drinking and now in a depression. So HJ was wrong and he loved her instead of pitied her? I am seriously lost on what’s really going on here. I feel like the person making the script has some pent up frustration or something that they vicariously take it out through the characters all throwing tantrums. 

On 4/26/2018 at 12:04 AM, Takingthehighroad said:

I'll say it again..DH's past. Her male friend (?) said men are harsh when it comes to a woman's past and I get the impression that DH's past is like a mistress/call girl or the like. So let DY have her...He has already stepped "out of bounds" as far as I'm concerned. I can't look at the actor after seeing him in The Perfect Wife. He played the same type of character...down-on-his luck, s*x-obsessed. I was softening towards him a bit, but he's acting like he's OK now that he's "passed the buck" (HJ) to the doctor. Has he even considered his daughter? 

And DY's co-workers, selfish and apathetic while encouraging his relationship with DH.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to watch this drama. For whatever reason, it reminded me of two dramas I absolutely hate:  Temptation and The Perfect Wife. Temptation in that a wealthy woman comes back and offer a husband a different path; a wife who knows in her heart that her husband has left her in his heart for another woman, so she lets him go (who wants to hang on to a man like that?). The Prefect Wife in that the actor seemed to have the same type of role in this drama--husband chasing wealth.

I truly appreciate all the comments and it has given me a pretty good idea about this drama. I personally have some strong ideas about love and how strong it is based on whether a person can easily fall into another relationship while still in one with the person they "love".

Your comments are thought provoking and insightful; I've enjoyed reading them. I think this drama will definitely be a pass for me, but love the way you all express your impression of the drama. You all give a certain beauty to this drama in your depth and insight.

@Pam_Van Fossen, I saw a clip of DY an DH having a conversation about the contract in the room where he's drinking himself to death. I am speaking out of complete ignorance because I have no real context, but I got the same exact impression as you. I didn't get the impression that he was concerned about HJ. 

Sadly, I don't know if I would want to be his fallback woman if I were HJ. It appears she may have lived most of the time during their marriage wondering if he still had feelings for his ex. When the opportunity presented itself, she decided to not be selfish and let him go. Based on what I've read, he was pretty willing to go back to his ex without much of a fight--again, I'm speaking in ignorance and just by what others have written on a few sites.

Okay, I'm done. I must find another drama to watch.

I really wanted to give DY the benefit of the doubt, but he repeatedly disappoints me. I, too, would love to see HJ get the one thing she has always wanted - the love of her husband. Unfortunately, DY, to me, is just a plain old turd. I think he felt comfortable with HJ - they were a family and were relatively happy it appears. That's one kind of love but to be frank, I believe we all want to experience that one wild, blinding love where you throw caution to the wind, where just the thought of that someone makes you catch your breath, clutch your chest, see stars. Maybe it only last a day - you know in your heart it probably won't last. Still, for that one brief span of time  the world stops - there is only you and that special someone. 

(At my age now though. it would be detrimental to my health)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuZseHsm6Ib1zTlZWXCFThqdefault.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf1rLLwy8GT9S2BAsiLl8

Love isn't always easy to understand...

First let me give a warm welcome to my Chingu @lclarakl  whom I hope will watch this drama and not because it's perfect but because it's story has a real feel of humanistic thoughts and feelings and how people deal with them.  Don't go trusting my words or the  thoughts of others for yours are much greater.  I would rather you experience it for yourself  and share what you felt  Oh how I wish you had come sooner and did just that.  Mind you I am so thankful for those who were here and made this journey so sweet...

@Pam_Van Fossen my partner through this drama how thankful I am that you are so unique in allowing me to see through your eyes what I would of and could of missed.  I wish I knew DY's mind as well and could answer your post that I truly understand.  For I too want to believe in DY and a part of me is still holding on in hopes for him...

I think he is in a way a weak man when it comes to seeing things and people as they are.  When I think back to how long it took him to see that HJ was dying and even more in believing so quickly that HJ had another man.  Maybe HJ wasn't the only one who thought she wasn't loved.  Maybe DY for what ever reasons never felt deserving of her.  That maybe he struggled with the standards that might seem simple to those who are honest and forthright like HJ but maybe DY felt exhausted living up to them...

When DY gave her the ring that he was so excited in even being able to pick it out.  A ring he had always wanted to give her thought about maybe even dreamed about.  Yet she gives it back not because she didn't deserve it or that the promise shouldn't be kept.  But she made him face once again the truth in that the ring I want must come from you and you alone.  That is earned by your own self!!  She stuck a mirror up to him and reminded him that the contract was made but how was it made and by whom, through whom?  It's why he didn't keep the ring but threw it away because he knew she would never accept anything that another woman had been a part of wasn't bought with money of his own making...

The last straw however was surly DY standing outside HJ's hospital room listening to his dying wife's honest words pouring out from her heart.  There was no place for him to run or hide nor can he now deny her feelings for him it even choked me up just listening to her.  The sight of her sitting upon that hospital bed almost this feeling of her being small like a child confessing with this glow around her that felt as if she was finally able to release everything she had wanted to say but had held back...

DY in that room drinking himself for days to unfeeling because even after all that he had done and put HJ through in her heart and mind and even memories he was still the love of her life and he knew it.  Not to mention on the other side a woman he thought came back for him in truth came back for revenge and the ability to use him like she had felt used...

I don't think he wanted to get drunk I think he wanted to die from pure sickness in facing the truth that his success or lack of it wasn't because of either woman but because of his own weak nature himself...  How could he face HJ in her situation knowing now how wrong he truly was?  How can he face the other woman who deceived him that he so eagerly embraced?  For him it was easier to sit in that dark room hiding from the world and most of all himself and be a frog instead of a prince...

13 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

Love isn't always easy to understand...

First let me give a warm welcome to my Chingu @lclarakl  whom I hope will watch this drama and not because it's perfect but because it's story has a real feel of humanistic thoughts and feelings and how people deal with them.  Don't go trusting my words or the  thoughts of others for yours are much greater.  I would rather you experience it for yourself  and share what you felt  Oh how I wish you had come sooner and did just that.  Mind you I am so thankful for those who were here and made this journey so sweet...

@Pam_Van Fossen my partner through this drama how thankful I am that you are so unique in allowing me to see through your eyes what I would of and could of missed.  I wish I knew DY's mind as well and could answer your post that I truly understand.  For I too want to believe in DY and a part of me is still holding on in hopes for him...

I think he is in a way a weak man when it comes to seeing things and people as they are.  When I think back to how long it took him to see that HJ was dying and even more in believing so quickly that HJ had another man.  Maybe HJ wasn't the only one who thought she wasn't loved.  Maybe DY for what ever reasons never felt deserving of her.  That maybe he struggled with the standards that might seem simple to those who are honest and forthright like HJ but maybe DY felt exhausted living up to them...

When DY gave her the ring that he was so excited in even being able to pick it out.  A ring he had always wanted to give her thought about maybe even dreamed about.  Yet she gives it back not because she didn't deserve it or that the promise shouldn't be kept.  But she made him face once again the truth in that the ring I want must come from you and you alone.  That is earned by your own self!!  She stuck a mirror up to him and reminded him that the contract was made but how was it made and by whom, through whom?  It's why he didn't keep the ring but threw it away because he knew she would never accept anything that another woman had been a part of wasn't bought with money of his own making...

The last straw however was surly DY standing outside HJ's hospital room listening to his dying wife's honest words pouring out from her heart.  There was no place for him to run or hide nor can he now deny her feelings for him it even choked me up just listening to her.  The sight of her sitting upon that hospital bed almost this feeling of her being small like a child confessing with this glow around her that felt as if she was finally able to release everything she had wanted to say but had held back...

DY in that room drinking himself for days to unfeeling because even after all that he had done and put HJ through in her heart and mind and even memories he was still the love of her life and he knew it.  Not to mention on the other side a woman he thought came back for him in truth came back for revenge and the ability to use him like she had felt used...

I don't think he wanted to get drunk I think he wanted to die from pure sickness in facing the truth that his success or lack of it wasn't because of either woman but because of his own weak nature himself...  How could he face HJ in her situation knowing now how wrong he truly was?  How can he face the other woman who deceived him that he so eagerly embraced?  For him it was easier to sit in that dark room hiding from the world and most of all himself and be a frog instead of a prince...

OK, there you go...making me feel sorry for DY again...Sometimes I'd rather sit in my little narrow-minded world and dislike him. But no, there you go making me "re"think...I had planned on frying steak tonight and pound that meat (DY) into oblivion. My husband can thank you for having an "eatable" supper.

7 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

@USAFarmgirl, Thanks for the welcome.  I actually got to episode 3 and changed my mind. I  kinda felt like I did when i watched "I Have a Lover". The husband never really redeemed himself to me; the writer just switched up the plot and left a lot of things hanging.

In ep 3 when HJ told DY that she knows he loves DH more than her and that he only married her because he felt sorry for her, it was very clear that she wanted him to deny it and say it wasn't true. He never did. That's when she told him that he could meet DH for work and outside of work. That broke my heart because it was clear she just wanted him to put her doubts aside..instead he remained silent. At that point, I knew that I didn't want these two to be a couple. From what I read of comments, it seems that DY when ahead at hooked up with DH.  Then when I saw the scene of him in the room drinking himself to death as he spoke with DH, he had tears in his eyes.  I know I've missed a lot (a whole lot) between ep 3 and ep 26, but I have to wonder if he came back is it because he still couldn't have the woman he wanted. 

@Takingthehighroad Your post made me laugh so hard and somehow just looking at your name makes me want to believe takingthehighroad pure perfection you would have come around even without my post.  For a name is personal it says something about who you are....

Your a sweet soul and I am so thankful you're here!!!  Mind you I could be totally wrong it wouldn't be the first time or the last but I always go with what I feel no matter if I am right or wrong.  It's that stepping out on faith in hopes that just maybe I saw it right...

Hoping your supper is amazing and tender too!!!  It goes along with your gentle heart in wanting to protect HJ from a man who may or may not deserve her.  To be honest if there were more people like you who took the highroad what a better world we would live in!!! :heart:

9 hours ago, USAFarmgirl said:

As always you make me feel so much better about things.  I love how you put it all into perspective.  Even though there are things we do not understand, and things that are frustrating, I am still hoping DY will finally be a man and do the right thing.  

@lclarakl, as you said, If DY goes back to HJ, it will be difficult for us to know if it was because he truly loved her or if it was because he couldn't have DH.  I still do not understand why anyone would want DH other than for sex maybe.  She doesn't seem to be the good wife and mother type to me.  She is selfish and does nothing but whine and cry.  It would be too depressing to live with her.  She and DY have not had any days where they were happy just to be together.  I agree with @USAFarmgirl,  if you watch the drama, you may be able to see things in a different perspective from us and you might actually enjoy it.  I have a tendency to like melodramas because of the angst you feel when watching them.  @Takingthehighroad, and I have that in common.  The only thing is, I want there to always be a happy ending for the person who goes through the worst of times and comes out shining.  

I gave it another try, but at ep 7 when he slept with DH, it made me want to quit. I know HJ loves him and feels guilty thinking that she trapped a man with pregnancy while knowing he loved another woman; However, DY in all the years they have been married he has never given his heart to her completely which has left her feeling like a 3rd person is in the marriage. Nor out of the 4 times I've heard it up to this point has he said he didn't marry her out of pity. When DH appeared on the scene, he immediately seemed to have forgotten his marriage and wife. When some say, why would she push her husband to another woman, IMO, the other woman was already in the marriage and had been for years. The fact that he still remember her birthday, speaks volumes. However, what is even more telling, in ep 9, he still cannot put her fears to rest about how and why he married her--out of pity.

He was very quick to give into the divorce, no push back on HJ at all. Yes, it was the pretend--'you have another man don't you', while knowing he slept with another woman. IMO, he wanted to be free. Whereas she can barely eat after their divorce, he's eating like he was a starving man with a new lease on life; no regret. He felt moved to comfort DH, but I didn't see him trying to comfort HJ.

Maybe because of my own personal experience of living through my mother and father's divorce as a teenager has tainted my view. I do think it's possible to reconcile, depending on how the cheater treated their spouse during the affair; however, I also think it can be a liberating experience for the spouses to divorce...a new lease on life (like it was for my mother). I find that in most K-dramas where the spouse has cheated, they reconcile with the spouse (with some exceptions).

I can understand HJ not wanting to hold on to a man that she felt never loved her, but married her out of pity or because he felt sorry for her. That is demoralizing. Some think she should tell him that he's sick. Heck, if his daughter figured out her mom was sick, he should have known something too.

Spoiler

For me, here are a list of dramas where the spouse was cheated on and I felt should have moved on from the cheater. If you haven't watched the dramas then please don't read what I wrote. I'm very bias in my opinions. On all of these threads, I was in the minority.

Ohlala Couple - I can't say enough about how much I hate this drama. Not only did he cheat, he had the nerve to move his mistress into his wife's apartment. The wife had installed cameras in the apartment and even observed them making love. The husband treated her horrible and so did his family, who welcomed the mistress into the family. Why in the world would she take back a man who only wanted her back after another man showed an interest. Another man, I might add, who was absolutely wonderful to her--her college sweetheart. He left her because of a serious illness. It would have been a beautiful drama if they, college sweethearts, had reunited.

Valid Love - The wife easily fell into an affair with a man she had only know for less than a week. The writer did not do a good job with explaining the characters thoughts. The blame was put on the husband for the wife taking on the burden of caring for his family. I'm not sure what else the husband could do. His wife fought him when he wanted to put his sister is assisted living; he caved to his wife's wishes but then asked her to please tell him when it became too much of a burden. She didn't; instead she had an affair. Then later blamed the husband. This drama got on my nerves because it tried to glorify the affair.

I Have A Lover - this is a drama that had so much potential. The husband was so in your face with his affair that you just really wanted him to suffer. The only person who could breakthrough to his wife emotionally was a guy who she later called her "lighthouse" when the world is dark, the man who blew warmth into her body; a man who truly humanized her after the loss of a child and after being dehumanized after marrying into her husband's family. Why I hate this drama is the writer tried to switch the story around after already laying the foundation for something else. She should have ended up with the man who didn't give up on her, but loved her so much that he wanted to help make her a better person. Instead she went back to the man who left the country with the student he had an affair with. We're then supposed to believe that after sleeping together while in Korea, when they left and lived in the U.S. for 4 years, they didn't sleep together. We're also supposed to believe that a man who is your lighthouse; the man you run to whenever you feel stressed, that you trust to tell all your secrets to, is not the man you love? Instead you love that cheating husband who you don't confided in or run to when stressed or worried?  It is very easy to see in this drama that the writer change the plot, but didn't have time to rewrite everything and tried to make it mesh together. They also made the other woman/student a hot mess from a personality perspective--it was all wrong..The story had a ton of holes in the plot. My favorite scene in this drama is when she slapped the student and the husband.

Temptation - All I can say is this is another glorifying of an affair--although it is a drama where they skirted with it being an affair (because they didn't sleep together until 30 days after his divorce), but the affair started before then. When the husband agreed to spend the weekend with another woman for a million dollars, thinking he had to sleep with her, that said everything. I also felt he was nothing but a bought man. The writer in this drama also made a mess of the script and tried to change things around be just created a plot full of holes and basically unfinished. The wife didn't deserve the treatment she received. In order to justify the affair, they tried to change the wife, but in the end, she was the most decent person in the drama. The only thing that gave me a tiny bit of pleasure was knowing the woman who purposely when after another woman's husband ended up with a death sentence. 

On the Way To The Airport - Another drama where the writer tried to justify a wife and husband of different spouses cheating together. I didn't like it one second when she went to his family home which was also like a 'park'. Yes I felt her husband didn't respect her and she had a girlfriend who used to live with her husband who I felt still had feelings for her husband. The husband came across as a "talker"/womanizer who wanted to be seen that way, but it was all a facade--it was hard for me to tell with this drama. I just know that I could never once root for the lead couple because it felt wrong all the way around.

The Fierce Wife - I loved and hated this drama. There is no way I would have let that no good ex-husband move into my house with his mistress/her cousin for the "sake" of their child. The wife in her own way wanted him back--stupid. However, what I loved about this drama is she was able to rebound and find her way. She became successful, while her husband lost everything. The best moment in this drama is when she slapped her cousin down to the ground. So glad she didn't get back with her loser husband.

There are others, these are just a few.

Archived