[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

8 hours ago, sweetroad said:

Good questions! Would love to hear what others think, too, when they check into the thread. But I think you're right - it goes deeper than kindness. People were kind to JA "four times" throughout her life and that didn't really lead to transformative change. But DH was willing to fight for her, defend her openly, help her with her grandma, humiliate himself, etc. And JA was willing to use her street smarts to fight for him in ways no one else had. As their relationship developed, something raw and deep made them each take care of the other, kind of with abandon.

I liked what the author said here:

It reminded me of Fan Girl Verdict's conclusions when she finished her group re-watch of MM a couple years ago.

Your pinpointing of exact relevant events in the drama is so convincing! JA also said it is easy to be a good person if got money. When one is absolutely penniless, in the bottom rank of the society, what can one offer to be kind?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Raymond said:

When one is absolutely penniless, in the bottom rank of the society, what can one offer to be kind?

So true - she had nothing to lose, so why not confront Kwang Il when he stole DH's wallet, and offer to even kill DJY for DH?! :grimace:

Have you been re-watching the drama lately? I tried to watch Episode 16 the other day, but it is sad to think about LSK no longer being with us.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sweetroad said:

So true - she had nothing to lose, so why not confront Kwang Il when he stole DH's wallet, and offer to even kill DJY for DH?! :grimace:

Have you been re-watching the drama lately? I tried to watch Episode 16 the other day, but it is sad to think about LSK no longer being with us.

It is still on my watch list after watching it 4 times. But also I need more time after the tragedy before rewatching it again (I just couldn't find any better drama with so much depth). But at the end many of my favorite movie stars or singers already dead, one suicided too, and I am still watching their movies and listening to their songs eventually.

• Like 3

On 4/18/2024 at 12:53 PM, sweetroad said:

But I think you're right - it goes deeper than kindness. People were kind to JA "four times" throughout her life and that didn't really lead to transformative change.

On 4/18/2024 at 9:26 PM, Raymond said:

Your pinpointing of exact relevant events in the drama is so convincing! JA also said it is easy to be a good person if got money. When one is absolutely penniless, in the bottom rank of the society, what can one offer to be kind?

I feel like there's a level of helpfulness in between the people who only helped four times and DH, and that's the janitor. I think he's as kind of a person as DH is, but just wasn't as knowledgeable to help with her grandma, or bold enough to confront the loan shark. But he's still the place JA goes when she's sick and needs help. Realistically people won't have be able to live up to what DH can do, but being as kind as the janitor is more than enough. 

On 4/19/2024 at 11:52 AM, sweetroad said:

I was able to rewatch the last few episodes recently. Strangely I didn't really feel jarred by it - maybe it because I don't really see My Mister as contributing to what happened to LSK. It was a lot different when I watched The Dark Knight for the first time as a kid and was convinced that playing the Joker contributed to Heath Ledger's unstable mental health. But I think it would be really tough to watch much of the first half of this show again, because DH is in such a rough shape there. 

• Like 2

On 30.03.2018 at 15:44, Yana Mujay said:

Spotkanie kogoś, kto cię rozumie, zdarza się rzadko, ale odkrycie, że ktoś nagle cię poznał, na pierwszy rzut oka jest cudem. Czego jeszcze chcesz? 

Jianaah po prostu przytul mocno tego Ahjussiego:D

I have been reading the "My Mister" drama and this thread on the forum six years later, yet many of your comments remain relevant and interesting. I particularly liked these two points you made, as I share the same opinion. 

I practically know this drama by heart now. I've written a lot about it on my Polish site about K-dramas (https://k-drama.pl). It's so addictive that now I find it difficult to watch anything else. Everything else seems trivial. As therapy to emotionally disentangle myself, I am writing my own version of fan fiction. If you're interested, take a look. It's here: https://k-drama.pl/drugiego-sezonu-juz-nie-bedzie/

Greets from Poland❣️🫶🇵🇱

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, Unclouded said:

It was a lot different when I watched The Dark Knight for the first time as a kid and was convinced that playing the Joker contributed to Heath Ledger's unstable mental health.

I still haven't watched The Dark Knight, mostly because though I've heard Heath Ledger does such a good job inhabiting the Joker, it gave him insomnia and contributed to his dependence on sleeping pills (and unstable mental health, as you mentioned). Still so sad :( .

On 4/25/2024 at 9:05 AM, Unclouded said:

I feel like there's a level of helpfulness in between the people who only helped four times and DH, and that's the janitor. I think he's as kind of a person as DH is, but just wasn't as knowledgeable to help with her grandma, or bold enough to confront the loan shark. But he's still the place JA goes when she's sick and needs help.

Good point. He kind of half lives in the shadows like JA did (and helps her with shady stuff like stealing the bribe money), but half lives out in the light, since he worked in the elementary school and as a janitor. We're never given his backstory so we don't know why he still needs to rely on temp jobs, but he's been an anchor for JA since she was young, and has used the resources he has to help her. DH, with his higher status and education, is able to fight for her in different ways  but it doesn't lessen the janitor's kindness or the fact that he's been there for her for many years. 

On 4/27/2024 at 7:37 PM, 3po3 said:

I practically know this drama by heart now. I've written a lot about it on my Polish site about K-dramas (https://k-drama.pl). It's so addictive that now I find it difficult to watch anything else. Everything else seems trivial. As therapy to emotionally disentangle myself, I am writing my own version of fan fiction. If you're interested, take a look. It's here: https://k-drama.pl/drugiego-sezonu-juz-nie-bedzie/

Welcome!

It's been interesting to see how you're weaving LSK's story into your fanfic. :tears: Nice work! I agree with you, that if others in the industry hadn't cancelled him so quickly, it could have helped him hang on.

• Like 2

It's nice to see My Mister (and Kdramas in general) being featured on mainstream English-speaking entertainment websites. This article from Screen Rant focuses on the three brothers:

Top 10 Sibling Relationships In K-Dramas

Updated May 9, 2024

Summary

• Many K-dramas showcase unforgettable sibling dynamics, from playful quarrels to deep bonds, resonating with viewers worldwide.
  • Long-lost siblings, rivalries, and close sibling relationships are common tropes in K-dramas, adding depth and relatability to the stories.
  • Whether through bickering or heartfelt support, sibling relationships in K-dramas offer a unique and authentic portrayal of love and family ties.

Though there are many that tune into K-dramas for the captivating romances, there are some brother-sister K-drama relationships and other sibling dynamics in the genre that have been equally memorable. Korea has delivered a strong output in drama series in the 21st century, and with the rise in streaming services, K-dramas have become more accessible, leading to international popularity for some of these titles. Among the things that viewers are tuning in for are the wonderful sibling relationships in some of these shows.

There's nothing like a quarrel between a brother and sister to keep things fun and entertaining which is something that many of the best K-dramas have figured out. There are a number of K-dramas that play upon a common trope of long-lost siblings, or even an aggressive rivalry. In other cases, sibling relationships have fans laughing out loud and relating to their close bond. Whatever approach these shows take, they have created unforgettable sibling relationships that have struck a chord with many people.

(skipped unrelated)

#4: Dong-hoon, Ki-hoon & Sang-hoon

My Mister (2018)

Characters Dong-hoon, Ki-hoon and Sang-hoon celebrating and drinking at a table in My Mister

My Mister is an emotional story that follows various characters dealing with hard times in their lives but finding support in others. It is another show in which the sibling relationship is a side plot from the main story, but that does not make it any less effective. The siblings in question are Dong-hoon, Sang-hoon, and Ki-hoon. Despite each brother being different, they all hit a rough patch. Even in middle age, they still act like children and are there to help each other.

When Dong-hoon (Lee Sun-kyun) loses approximately a small fortune, the first person he calls is his younger brother, who, in return, ropes in their older brother for help. The situations are comical as the brothers bicker, joke about the other's stupidity, and even try to beat each other up. However, they do this while offering the kind of support and stability they could not find anywhere else.

Source: https://screenrant.com/best-sibling-relationships-in-k-dramas/

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 1:03 PM, sweetroad said:

It's nice to see My Mister (and Kdramas in general) being featured on mainstream English-speaking entertainment websites. This article from Screen Rant focuses on the three brothers:

Top 10 Sibling Relationships In K-Dramas

Updated May 9, 2024

Summary

• Many K-dramas showcase unforgettable sibling dynamics, from playful quarrels to deep bonds, resonating with viewers worldwide.
  • Long-lost siblings, rivalries, and close sibling relationships are common tropes in K-dramas, adding depth and relatability to the stories.
  • Whether through bickering or heartfelt support, sibling relationships in K-dramas offer a unique and authentic portrayal of love and family ties.

Though there are many that tune into K-dramas for the captivating romances, there are some brother-sister K-drama relationships and other sibling dynamics in the genre that have been equally memorable. Korea has delivered a strong output in drama series in the 21st century, and with the rise in streaming services, K-dramas have become more accessible, leading to international popularity for some of these titles. Among the things that viewers are tuning in for are the wonderful sibling relationships in some of these shows.

There's nothing like a quarrel between a brother and sister to keep things fun and entertaining which is something that many of the best K-dramas have figured out. There are a number of K-dramas that play upon a common trope of long-lost siblings, or even an aggressive rivalry. In other cases, sibling relationships have fans laughing out loud and relating to their close bond. Whatever approach these shows take, they have created unforgettable sibling relationships that have struck a chord with many people.

(skipped unrelated)

#4: Dong-hoon, Ki-hoon & Sang-hoon

My Mister (2018)

My Mister is an emotional story that follows various characters dealing with hard times in their lives but finding support in others. It is another show in which the sibling relationship is a side plot from the main story, but that does not make it any less effective. The siblings in question are Dong-hoon, Sang-hoon, and Ki-hoon. Despite each brother being different, they all hit a rough patch. Even in middle age, they still act like children and are there to help each other.

When Dong-hoon (Lee Sun-kyun) loses approximately a small fortune, the first person he calls is his younger brother, who, in return, ropes in their older brother for help. The situations are comical as the brothers bicker, joke about the other's stupidity, and even try to beat each other up. However, they do this while offering the kind of support and stability they could not find anywhere else.

Source: https://screenrant.com/best-sibling-relationships-in-k-dramas/

The brotherhood love in MM is evident from the very first episode to the very last episode, in many many incidents. Hard to surpass.

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote images. Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 6/9/2024 at 5:40 AM, Raymond said:

The brotherhood love in MM is evident from the very first episode to the very last episode, in many many incidents. Hard to surpass.

Totally. The story and the casting were so perfect in this one. Even though I've now seen Park Ho San and Song Sae Byeok in other works, the two of them with LSK were so believable as brothers and had good chemistry together. It helped that all of them were excellent, experienced actors, and that each of them was given quite a lot to do during the story.

It's still strange to think that Park Ho San wasn't the first choice for Sang Hoon - seeing older pictures of Oh Dal Su filming as Sang Hoon, it doesn't fit at all :).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 10:51 PM, sweetroad said:

Even if DH was reflecting on himself and how he contributed to their marriage breakdown, he didn't ever share that with YH, or apologize to her. Nor did he even tell her clearly he never wanted to move out of Hugye. Through his silence, he always left her guessing and assuming things. That would be tough to deal with.

Had a related thought that just came to mind. When I first watched this, I felt much more uncomfortable watching DH and YH being so cold to each other at home than I did seeing YH have an affair. Obviously adultery is bad, but seeing DH barely talk to his wife gave me much more of a chilling feeling. I think the emotional distance from DH is the first betrayal that happened here. It's just stark the way DH is so open to JA by comparison. The drama shows us how precious that relationship is, but if we invert that, it's crazy to think how cheap DH and YH's relationship seems. Does DH's consideration for YH's material needs matter without love? Doing chores and buying food, that's not why (at least I hope) anyone finds a spouse. To say that you're married to someone and then close your heart off to them - I feel like that's as bad (if not worse) than having an affair. 

Maybe I shouldn't be harsh since DH's closed actions is definitely because he's depressed. The moment where I think DH first feels comfortable opening himself up to JA (ep 6?) is after she slaps the coworker for him. So he admits to being vulnerable but he knows that JA has taken his side. Compare that to him talking about his wife, when she asks why he's drinking first thing at home after being hungover from the night before, why he looks so sad going to work, he completely shuts down and deflects ('everyone else is like that too'). Maybe he was the kind of person who needed a kindred soul to open to, and YH just wasn't it. But I think it's meaningful that this conversation is the first thing he thought of after he finds out about YH's adultery (before their arguments about ideas about family/where to live). That comes first before everything. It's actually crazy that he can't/doesn't talk about feeling depressed with his wife. 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

On 6/19/2024 at 9:05 AM, Unclouded said:

Had a related thought that just came to mind. When I first watched this, I felt much more uncomfortable watching DH and YH being so cold to each other at home than I did seeing YH have an affair. Obviously adultery is bad, but seeing DH barely talk to his wife gave me much more of a chilling feeling. I think the emotional distance from DH is the first betrayal that happened here. It's just stark the way DH is so open to JA by comparison. The drama shows us how precious that relationship is, but if we invert that, it's crazy to think how cheap DH and YH's relationship seems. Does DH's consideration for YH's material needs matter without love? Doing chores and buying food, that's not why (at least I hope) anyone finds a spouse. To say that you're married to someone and then close your heart off to them - I feel like that's as bad (if not worse) than having an affair. 

Maybe I shouldn't be harsh since DH's closed actions is definitely because he's depressed. The moment where I think DH first feels comfortable opening himself up to JA (ep 6?) is after she slaps the coworker for him. So he admits to being vulnerable but he knows that JA has taken his side. Compare that to him talking about his wife, when she asks why he's drinking first thing at home after being hungover from the night before, why he looks so sad going to work, he completely shuts down and deflects ('everyone else is like that too'). Maybe he was the kind of person who needed a kindred soul to open to, and YH just wasn't it. But I think it's meaningful that this conversation is the first thing he thought of after he finds out about YH's adultery (before their arguments about ideas about family/where to live). That comes first before everything. It's actually crazy that he can't/doesn't talk about feeling depressed with his wife. 

I would say, as a real life character, it would be quite hard to deal with such a closed character as DH, as his family or his friend. Yes, he has warm heart inside, a just and fair leader hence a real good leader in works. But towards friends or family, he rarely speaks his mind out, and usually speaks indirectly. Even KH struggles to communicate with him effectively. And with the very different character of YH, it would be even worst. YH would find speaking to DH like speaking to a stone wall. Her affair is nothing unusual (JA would have no reason to get involved), only her quiet support of getting DH sacked from his job, with an overseas son still needing financial support, is totally beyond redemption. All these setup the justifications, and the drama near miracle of how a young, poor woman been able to break down the stone wall of such a character, occupying his heart, and turned him into big smiling face at the very end.

After watching quite a few kdramas, I now readily accept any 'open' ending is meant to be happy ending by PD/writer, as long as all known obstructions are cleared at the end, for the leads to move forwards together in future.

• Like 4

On 6/21/2024 at 11:42 PM, Raymond said:

But towards friends or family, he rarely speaks his mind out, and usually speaks indirectly. Even KH struggles to communicate with him effectively. And with the very different character of YH, it would be even worst. YH would find speaking to DH like speaking to a stone wall.

Exactly. When his sister-in-law gets him to admit how hard it was that he couldn't talk about his friend, everyone looks so shocked and worried, since he never talks about his emotions. The intention is different (she wants him to feel better) but she says the exact same thing as YH (that DH is a 'lonely person'). And as you say, he needed someone like JA that he could actually relate to and talk to as equals, now that the monk is gone. 

Her affair is nothing unusual (JA would have no reason to get involved), only her quiet support of getting DH sacked from his job, with an overseas son still needing financial support, is totally beyond redemption.

Yeah, it's absolutely crazy that she goes that far. Totally insane and selfish. 

After watching quite a few kdramas, I now readily accept any 'open' ending is meant to be happy ending by PD/writer, as long as all known obstructions are cleared at the end, for the leads to move forwards together in future.

Fully agree! Even if we take My Liberation Notes as having a more romantic ending (the two leads together), I think the future there is actually a lot darker than than My Mister, since the alcoholism never gets resolved. While here as you say every obstacle is cleared, and the intent to move forward is finally there for both DH and JA. So even though it's not as explicit, the ending feels more satisfying and enjoyable because there aren't any clouds on the horizon.

Maybe this is kinda obvious, but it's interesting to compare JA's gamer friend to DH, because they go through some similar situations. They both get beat up by the loan sharks for her and they both help her with her grandma. So it's not like JA has never received any affection or friendship at all from a guy. Even with KI she can clearly identify how toxic he is, so unlike when I first watched this show, I'm not convinced that she's just misunderstanding DH's affection or her own feelings towards him. Like clearly she knows the difference. The scene where she flips the script on DJY and points out that he doesn't understand what it means to like someone underscores this. 

• Like 3

On 6/25/2024 at 3:31 PM, Unclouded said:

Maybe this is kinda obvious, but it's interesting to compare JA's gamer friend to DH, because they go through some similar situations. They both get beat up by the loan sharks for her and they both help her with her grandma. So it's not like JA has never received any affection or friendship at all from a guy. Even with KI she can clearly identify how toxic he is, so unlike when I first watched this show, I'm not convinced that she's just misunderstanding DH's affection or her own feelings towards him. Like clearly she knows the difference. The scene where she flips the script on DJY and points out that he doesn't understand what it means to like someone underscores this. 

The key, unique, tool of this drama is definitely the wiretap, through which JA achieved her thorough understanding of DH that no one can, maining on:

His problem with YH,

His immense suffering because of YH,

His great character,

And most important of all, his secret, improper, longing for JA (triggered by the false signals from JA) that he would never express directly, only to those who would have no idea what he is talking about

If his affection for JA is only of proper, friendship nature, DH to JA would then be very much similar to her gamer friend, and the janitor, just those in time of needs. And she wouldn't have a flustering heart listening to or facing him. And there wouldn't be much unique story development.

The beginning of this drama brought DH to JA via the ladybug, and it closed with them reunited accordingly. This setup says it all, for any other drama.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The sentiments of this reviewer very much resonated with mine during my first watch: where will the growing bond between DH and JA lead to?

“I suspect I wasn’t the only one watching the series’ oh-too-short single season with one continuous emotion: a sense of unrequited yearning: for Dong Hoon and Ji Ahn to finally embrace the reality of their subtle but profound affinity for and trust in each other.”

Sure there are other plot points that perhaps required more urgent resolution, but I’m more interested only in that one question.

And I'm sure his description of the ending speaks for most of the show’s fans as well:

“For my money, even though it didn’t bring me to tears, the bittersweet ending of My Mister is one of the sweetest, most heart-swelling moments of cinema, from any country, that I can remember in my more than 60 years of movie devotion.”

We diverged there for a bit though, as the ending did bring me to tears. :D

https://onlysky.media/rsnedeker/my-mister-kind-of-a-love-story-about-something-else/#:~:text=My Mister is at heart,on the evils of inequity.&text=If it all sounds pretty formulaic%2C and dull%2C it's not.

EDIT: Oh no, it seemed the article link is no longer active. :(

• Like 3

Really thanks for the review article which I myself absolutely agree with. 'Erotic love story' (the main story line, plus many other side story lines of course) is basically what I described this drama to my friends. The pure heart to heart, 'you only' connection between DH and JA is so outside the box.

Regarding the 'faked' kiss, because DH has no idea it being faked, would it served the purpose of turning JA as a woman in DH's mind, and discount his future private connection with JA in the 'friendly', 'innocent' domain?

The ending - I did get my closure at the very end, when it was shown here the quite commonly used signal in classic Hollywood movies, and many dramas, to indicate the characters on screen have feeling on the other, by looking back to the other on deparure/saying goodbye (even though not in sync here). I only wish if an exciting climax can be added to show a big reunion party at the JH bar, with all the community friends, and the whole Park family there! 

Couldn't imagine what kind of shock when Park's mom and SH's wife eventually find out the truth on YH, their most respected member of the family (everyone in the community already knew via knowing JA and her court case). And who is this JA woman on whom SH spent all his saving on a funeral not related to the Park's family!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I realized that unlike a lot of dramas, there isn't a simplification of emotions towards the end of My Mister. And I guess that's why there are this many pages of dicussion - we're all trying to figure out what DH's feeling and thinking. Usually in other dramas, there's a lead-up to a romantic relationship, whatever conflict exists between the leads gets resolved and they get together, with everything neatly resolving. But here, DH and JA retain their personalities - they don't lose themselves in each other.

Recently I was watching the Japanese movie Perfect Days, and part of it gave me a strong My Mister vibe. Maybe it's because they both have older MLs with personalities I adore. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2024 at 12:19 PM, Unclouded said:

I realized that unlike a lot of dramas, there isn't a simplification of emotions towards the end of My Mister. And I guess that's why there are this many pages of dicussion - we're all trying to figure out what DH's feeling and thinking. Usually in other dramas, there's a lead-up to a romantic relationship, whatever conflict exists between the leads gets resolved and they get together, with everything neatly resolving. But here, DH and JA retain their personalities - they don't lose themselves in each other.

Recently I was watching the Japanese movie Perfect Days, and part of it gave me a strong My Mister vibe. Maybe it's because they both have older MLs with personalities I adore. 

Might be it is impossible for viewers to understand, define exactly how DH thinks or feels without any clear message shown to us. But we might take comfort that JA would understand DH totally via the wiretapping and many drinks/meals between them not shown to us, besides all the events happened, and now they meet again and she would be confident and happy DH, with his new status, won't easily say no to her anymore?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2024/08/22/busan-international-film-festival-to-honor-late-actor-lee-sun-kyun/

Episode 5 is indeed the defining episode on the relationship between the 2 leads.

• Like 3

On 8/23/2024 at 5:45 AM, Raymond said:

Might be it is impossible for viewers to understand, define exactly how DH thinks or feels without any clear message shown to us. But we might take comfort that JA would understand DH totally via the wiretapping and many drinks/meals between them not shown to us, besides all the events happened, and now they meet again and she would be confident and happy DH, with his new status, won't easily say no to her anymore?

It's a challenge for us to figure him out, since he doesn't seem to understand himself very well either. He seems confused, in denial, or unaware of what's important to him and what he should do in life. The moments when he's talking to JA are often the ones where he seems to be figuring himself out. 

"We have to make sure that the internal forces can withstand the external forces. And life, in a way, is a struggle between internal and external forces as well." 

Obviously there are a lot of external problems in his life (the marriage, his problems at work). But I don't agree with the idea that internal force is something that exists solely to resist external problems. For DH, many of his problems are primarily internal. He knows something's gone badly wrong, that he's made some kind of fundamental mistake, and he's just lost inside. Marrying YH, having a child, having an important job - none of those have resolved his internal struggles. They come with other, external problems that threaten to push him over the edge, but his fundamental issues all came before. Before JA comes into his life, he's hiding from all this, and he pretends to himself and everyone else that he's okay. 

I also don't think a lack of romantic love is all that important for DH, it's not really something he seems to yearn for. If he's caught feelings for JA, it's incidental. He wants her in his life because she's the only person actively in his life who truly understands him. So the question of what DH's feelings are is a bit hard to answer without a lot of thinking, because it's not something he himself supports, or wants to express. And until the ending, his internal struggles crowd everything else out anyway.

When DH is talking about the struggle between external and internal forces, JA's part of that conversation is how she hates all the seasons. Does this mean that she has nothing to look forward to? I wonder if this is the main reason she has to go somewhere new on her own. What dreams does she have? What hobbies should she try? She needs to find out what she wants to do in life. 

• Like 3

On 8/19/2024 at 4:19 AM, Unclouded said:

I realized that unlike a lot of dramas, there isn't a simplification of emotions towards the end of My Mister. And I guess that's why there are this many pages of dicussion - we're all trying to figure out what DH's feeling and thinking.

Really good point. And this complexity in DH's feelings is why My Mister has always seemed like good literature, rather than just a romantic drama, family drama, slice-of-life drama, or whatever genre people want to first label it as. It reminds me of Jane Austen's "Persuasion" in many ways, though even "Persuasion" is ultimately an overt romance. But in both MM and in "Persuasion", much care is taken to show us things, not just tell us outright. So well done and rich!

On 8/23/2024 at 11:45 AM, Raymond said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2024/08/22/busan-international-film-festival-to-honor-late-actor-lee-sun-kyun/

Episode 5 is indeed the defining episode on the relationship between the 2 leads.

Thanks for this news. Good to know South Korea is still trying to honor and remember LSK :(

On 8/27/2024 at 2:30 AM, Unclouded said:

I also don't think a lack of romantic love is all that important for DH, it's not really something he seems to yearn for. If he's caught feelings for JA, it's incidental. He wants her in his life because she's the only person actively in his life who truly understands him. So the question of what DH's feelings are is a bit hard to answer without a lot of thinking, because it's not something he himself supports, or wants to express. And until the ending, his internal struggles crowd everything else out anyway.

Interesting point, that DH isn't all that interested in romantic love anyway. Even in Ep 7 when he calls JA a pretty girl, he says it in a matter-of-fact way, not in a romantically-desirous way. Obviously he desires her company (since she understands him), but he's not thinking of her in a romantic way (yet). You're right, it's not something he himself supports or wants to express. At the end, we see him unfettered and free, more awake to romantic love than he has allowed himself to be before. The ending feels very "whole" to me, because not only do they know each other so well, but DH for the first time seems able to express the fullness of his feelings toward JA.

• Like 3