[Drama 2017-2018] Love Returns / I hate to love you, 미워도 믿어도

0ly40

I HATE TO LOVE YOU  (AKA I HATE YOU BUT I LOVE YOU) (AKA LOVE RETURNS)

RECAP, EPISODE 3

Goo Choong Seo and Goo Jong Hee eat breakfast and bicker.  Hong joins them.  He tells them that he wants to assume the role of an Undercover Boss, pretending to be an assistant at the beauty center. 

After Hong leaves, Goo Jong Hee suggests that Hong is assuming the Undercover Boss role in line with the Judge's admonition to learn how the less privileged live.     Goo Choong Seo thinks it has more to do with Hong's conflict with the Board of Directors.

Goong Jong Hee arrives at the Beauty Center and greets her subordinates. She tells them that  new male assistant will begin working at the beauty center.  Gil  Today, Jung In Woo is dressed properly, but "customers" (namely Gil Eun Zo) have been complaining about her.

Gil attempts to buy a purse but is told that her credit card has been suspended.   When she returns home to obtain money from a wall safe, she is unable to o[en it.  The maid does not seem very unhappy to tell Gil that her Mother changed the combination to the safe.

Hong arrives for work dressed like a construction worker.  The Supervisor, Gong Gyung Ha, eyes him warily.  A courier arrives and makes a mess.  Hong is ordered to clean it up.  Hong looks like he is tempted to reconsider his Undercover Boss plan..

As Hong mops the floor, Gil enters and slips and falls.  They bicker.  Gong Jong Hee arrives on the scene and attempts to mediate.  Then she takes Hong into her office and they discuss the situation.    She tells him that he needs to work on his Common Man act.

Gil Eun Zo's Mother dresses up in preparation for a meeting with a potential blind date for her daughter.  She is interrupted by her Son, who insists that she wear a piece of jewelry that belongs to Gil.

Gil arrives.  Already angry about the cancelled credit card and the changed combination to the safe, she is furious when she sees her Mother wearing her jewelry.  We learn that the jewelry belonged to Gil's natural mother and that Kim Haeng Ja is actually her step mother.  They argue violently until her brother  leads her out of the room.

Gil asserts that her Step Mother is somehow responsible for her natural mother's death.  Her Brother tells her that she is full of guano.  He tells her that she needs to pull herself together.  He leaves the room.  she weeps.

In her bedroom, Gil's Step Mother feels discouraged and defeated.

At the beauty shop, Jung In Woo's Father arrives and argues with his estranged wife.

As the beauty shop employee walks down the street, she is accosted by the woman to whom she owed money.  She discovers that her Big Shot Lawyer son has paid off her debt to the woman.

Back at the beauty shop, Jung In Woo's Mother has driven her divorced husband into the street and is pelting him with anything she can get her hands on.

Gil's Mother is meeting with the Big Shot Attorney..  She tells him that she wants to hire him to help her manage her money.  He tells her that he needs to think about it since tax and money management issues are not his specialties.  Actually, she wants to hook him up with Gil.

Goo Jong Hee introduces Hong to the staff as the Beauty Cener's new Go-fer.

A man from headquarters delivers some stuff and almost blows Hong's cover.

Gil's Stepmother, looking sad, has rented a private room in a karaoke shop and is singing a love song.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RECAP, EPISODE 4

Gil's Step Mother walks out onto a roof terrace at night and takes in the view of the city.    

She is apparently remembering scenes from the past:

-- --  She recalls a pleasant scene from several years ago when Gil Eun Zo and her Brother were children.  

-- -- She is with Gil's Mother as she is dying.  She calls the Mother "Ma'am," so likely she was her employee.

-- -- A teenage Gil sees her  Mother collapse on the street and is rushed to the hospital..  She weeps.

Jung In Woo's Mother sits alone in her room and drinks soju.  She remembers bitterly that she was unable to go to college because she had to work.  Jung interrupts her and begins drinking the soju herself, then begins to cry.  Her Sister arrives carrying a bill.  Jung is paying for an expensive handbag in 12 monthly installments.  Jung feels sorry for herself because she cannot afford many nice things.

The Step Mother is felling ill.  Eun Zo and her Brother [ut her to bed.  The Brother thinks that his Step Mother is suffering from food poisoning.  It turns out that she is.

Her Brother enters Jung's bedroom and urges her to be nicer to her Step Mother.  Jung accuses her Brother of not being true to their dead Mother's memory.  They argue.

Gil enters her sleeping Step Mother's bedroom.  She tells her sleeping Step Mother that even though she "hates"  her, she wishes her a long life and wants to continue living with her.

Morning.

Jung has another dispute with her Sister, who is leaving the house in her clothes.

The Brother brings his Tep Mother coffee.,   Gil enters the room.  She and her Step Mother eye each other warily.  Gil apologizes.  They bicker.

Hong is handing out leaflets on the street.  Gil walks by and recognizes him from the slip and fall incident the day before.   He apologizes and buys her coffee.  They bicker.

Jung In Woo meets her Sister  in  her office and they bicker.  As Jung and her Sister walk down the street, they encounter their Father.  Her Sister  is rude to their Father and walks off.  Jung has a cuo of coffee with her Father.    It turns out that thhe Father is a failed academic who is between jobs. He hits her up for a loan, apparently not for the first time.  She is disgusted with him.  She gives him her prized designer handbag.

The Step Mother reads a business letter but hasn't a clue about what it is about.  She seeks advice on on how to remedy her educational deficiencies and is advised to attend classes at a cultural center.

Gil's Brother and his Step Mother exchange pleasant memories of his Father.

Morning.

Jung In woo's Mother walks in on her two daughters, who are experiencing a rare moment of peaceful coexistence.  Her Mother asks Jung where her new handbag is.  Jung dissembles.  Nevertheless, her Mother quickly learns the truth and explodes.  Her Mother tries to phone her divorced husband but his phone has been disconnected.  Jung tells her that she thinks that he will soon begin teaching at the cultural center.

The Stepmother walks into the Cu;tural Center.  She drops something and Jung's Father picks it up for her.  They catch each other's eye.  When she thanks him and begins to walk away, he tells her that she is beautiful.

RECAP, EPISODE 5

Jung In Woo's Father pitches woo to Gil's Stepmother  He asks her t attend his class at the Cultural Center.  She's like, be still my heart.

In the lobby of the Cultural Center, Jung's Father hides behind a plotted plant and watches his divorced wife flirt with Goo Cheong Seo. She notices him and flashes him a Look.  He Gets Going.

Goo Jong Hee sits at her desk.  She dispatches an underling to ascertain her brother's whereabouts.

Hong visits the Market.  Amidst all of the people and activity, he experiences an anxiety attack.

Jung's Mother catches up with her divorced Husband and chastises him for taking their daughter's expensive handbag.  She starts to throttle him.  He escapes.

The underling catches up with Goo Cheong Seo at the Cultural Center and snaps a photograph of him talking with the Big Shot Lawyer's Mother.  The Underling trails after them snapping photos as they go for coffee.

The Big Shot lawyer arrives at the Pawn Shop for an appointment with Gil's Stepmotheer.    She seeks his assistance in a dispute with one of her tenants who is behind on the rent.   He tells her that he actually came to decline her offer to employ him as her financial counselor.  She persuades him to take care of Just This One Matter.

At work, Jung receives a call from her Father.

On her cellphone, Goo Jong Hee examines photos her Underling has sent her of her Brother cavorting at the Cultural Center and fumes.

Goo Cheong Seo and the Big Shot Lawyer's Mother drink coffee in a cafe.  She flirts aggressively.  She is delighted to learn that he is divorced and unattached.  He learns that she is single.  from another table, the Underling continues to take photos with his phone.  Goo notices the Underling and is irritated.  He tells her that he is being tracked by his Sister.  She calls the Big Shot Lawyer and summons him to give legal advice on how Goo Cheong Seo can obtain a restraining order against his Sister.

In the Market, Hong's panic attack continues.  Gil comes on the scene as a passerby accidentally knocks Hong to the ground.

Gil's Stepmother returns to the Pawn shop and complains about her Stepdaughter's frequent absences from work.  Then she examines the business card Jung's Father gave her.

Jung's Father hides in a restroom while Jung and her Mother argue about the designer handbag.  She tells her Mother that she would rather her Father have the proceeds from the sale of the handbag -- otherwise he will continue bothering her at work for money.

Goo Cheong Seo  realizes that his Sister is on her way and Gets Going.  Shortly thereafter, his Sister arrives and bickers with the Big Shot Lawyer's Mother.  The Sister calls her an ajuma and a conniving hussy.  Goo Cheong Seo  returns and breaks up the fight.  As Goo leads his Sister away, the Big Shot Lawyer arrives and is like, WTF?  He stares at her angrily and departs without a word.

Gil and Hong arrive at the Pawn Shop.  He is still dazed from the panic attack.  She asks, Haven't we met somewhere before?  he doesn't think so.

At their house, Jung and her Mother resume their argument about her needy Father.

The Big Shot Lawyer's Mother chases after him.  They enter their house.  He is angry because this isn't the first time his Mother has caused trouble over a man.  They bicker.

The Big Shot Lawyer's Mother drinks soju with her boss, Jung's Mother, and complains about her Son and her life.

Gil sits in her bedroom, frustrated that her access to money has been cut off.  We learn that Hong has offered her a survey gig.  He hires her to gather information fromm 100 persons at a rate of $2.50 per survey.

In her bedroom, the Stepmother remembers her interlude at the Cultural Center with the smitten professor..   

How come there is no discussion on this daily drama at all?  It is actually an interesting one.  Those who have watched a few daily dramas would find it a bit different than usual.  9 episodes in, we still have not seen any hint that even a single character in this drama is a villain or an evil character.  In fact only one character (the lawyer; the 2nd male lead) even shows that he is a bit of a thinking/scheming type.  Maybe the second female lead is being prepared to become nasty later, but she too has been a nice character so far. 

Quite a bit of attempt to bring in humor, though nothing has been "haha lol" so far.  Just light-hearted scenes, mostly.  Lots of quirky characters. No murder mysteries, no obvious birth secrets and no nasty mother-in-laws or grandmothers or company chairmen yet, either.  Good chemistry between the two young leads.  The female lead is doing an absolutely great job of acting, and so is her not-the-real-mother mother.  The 2nd female leads mother is also acting quite well.

What does everybody think so far?  I am going to keep watching, as nothing is offending me yet, and it is not that boring either (yet).

RECAP, EPISODE 6

Gil converses with her Stepmother's assistant in the Pawn Shop.  They agree that her Stepmother dresses in a frumpy manner.

Jung's Father has entered the Pawn Shop to sell his Daughter's purse.  Gil tells him that the shop will pay $2,600 for it.  He accepts the payment and leaves.

In her Beauty Shop, Jung's Mother and her assistant discuss Gil's Stepmother's wealth.

Jung's Sister works as Goo Cheong Seo's Assistant.  Her Mother has thrown out a perfectly good suit coat and tie that her Father used to wear.  She has a bright idea  -- curry favor with her boss by giving them to him and pretending that they are new.

The Big Shot Lawyer and Gil's Stepmother discuss her landlord-tenant case.  The tenant, a shopkeeper, will only move out voluntarily if she allows him to remain for three more moths.  He tells her that short of a lawsuit, that is the best deal she can get.

Gil is examining the clothes in her Stepmother's closet when her Brother walks in.  Again, she complains about how dowdy their stepmother is.

Apparently Goo Cheong Seo moonlights as a nightclub singer.  Jun's Mother's Chingu has pulled some strings and they are in Goo's dressing room.  The Chingu steps out.  Shortly thereafter Goo steps in and he and Jung's Mother talk.  He is charming.  She is shy.  Then she notices that he is wearing her Former Husband's coat and tie and is nonplussed.

In the nightclub, Jung's Mother dances with Goo and notes that he is also wearing her  Former Husband's old shirt.  She grabs Goo's jacket and opens it.  When she finds her former husband's name, she storms out of the nightclub.

Gil takes her Stepmother on a shopping expedition.  The clothes in tthe store are expensive and they argue.  Finally, she convinces her Stepmother that if she wants to arrange proper blind dates for her, she must dress more presentably.  But her Stepmother isn't carrying enough cash and Gil can't pay with her credit card because her Stepmother has suspended it.    Her Stepmother is not unhappy.

Jung's Mother sits her daughter's down and complains about the incident in the nightclub.  Jung mentions that her Sister walked off with her Father's discarded clothes.  Their Mother quickly ascertains how they ended up on the man in the nightclub.  The Sister explains that Goo is her boss.  When the daughters learn that their mother met Goo in a nightclub, it is their turn to be scandalized.

An associate calls the Big Shot Attorney and informs him that he has gathered some information on Gil's Stepmother's finances.  He opens his laptop.  He discovers that she s very rich.

The Big Shot Attorney visits his Mother and eats breakfast.  As he eats, he contemplates Gil's Mother's fortune.  He pumps his Mother for information on her, and learns that she only has an elementary school education,  inherited the money from and is living with the daughter of a man she lived with but never married.   He asks his Mother to "show some interest" in the Stepmother.

In the Beauty shop, the Big shot Attorney's Mother mops the floor and wonders what her son is up to.  Her Boss, Jung's Mother is still thinking avout the incident in the nightclub.  Then her Chingu enters the Shop and they discuss the incident.

Goo sits at his desk and wonders about the incident in the nightclub.  When Jung's Sister brings him coffee, he asks her if he looks so bad in the jacket that someone would want to take it off him.  She is flustered and comes up with an excuse to be elsewhere.

The Big Shot Lawyer's Mother shows up at the Pawn Shop to butter up Gil's Stepmother.  She claims that she came by to discuss the Cultural Center.

In the Market, Gil is passing out surveys.  She encounters Hong, who is experiencing another panic attack.  She leads him away.

At the Cultural Center, Big Shot Lawyer's Mother and Gil's Stepmother fill out applications  for the class taught by Jung's Father.  Thus far, they are the only persons who have signed up for the class.  Big Shot's Mother does not know that the class is being taught by her employer's former husband.  Gil's Stepmother submits her application and pays the fee.  Big Shot's Mother doesn't submit her application because she does not have enough money to pay the fee.

Hong, who has calmed down, watches as Gil collects completed survey forms from women in the Market.  He watches her work the crowd and is impressed.  Then he seems to be experiencing another attack and they leave.

Gil's Stepmother enters the classroom and sits down.  She is the only student in the room.  When Jun's Father arrives, Gils Stepmother insists that another student is on the way.  He assures her that she is the only person registered for the class.  She re-introduces herself but he has forgotten his encounter with her.  She is disappointed but hopeful.

On 11/22/2017 at 7:55 AM, LoveBunny said:

For some reason I don’t trust the lawyer at all. He seems like he’s up to something. I wouldn’t be surprise if he ends up stealing the old ladies fortune 

Yeah, I too think that he will end up as at least a semi-villain.  I am actually not seeing any other villains yet in the drama.

16 hours ago, jayakris said:

How come there is no discussion on this daily drama at all?  It is actually an interesting one.  Those who have watched a few daily dramas would find it a bit different than usual.  9 episodes in, we still have not seen any hint that even a single character in this drama is a villain or an evil character.  In fact only one character (the lawyer; the 2nd male lead) even shows that he is a bit of a thinking/scheming type.  Maybe the second female lead is being prepared to become nasty later, but she too has been a nice character so far. 

Quite a bit of attempt to bring in humor, though nothing has been "haha lol" so far.  Just light-hearted scenes, mostly.  Lots of quirky characters. No murder mysteries, no obvious birth secrets and no nasty mother-in-laws or grandmothers or company chairmen yet, either.  Good chemistry between the two young leads.  The female lead is doing an absolutely great job of acting, and so is her not-the-real-mother mother.  The 2nd female leads mother is also acting quite well.

What does everybody think so far?  I am going to keep watching, as nothing is offending me yet, and it is not that boring either (yet).

Yeah, I am catching up on this show (watched thru Ep. 5) and yeah, it's a quirky show alright! Plot development is slow (so far) and there's a lot of yelling but it's an interesting watch.

RECAP, EPISODE 7

Gil's Stepmother grumbles to herself about her Chingu bailing on the class at the Cultural Center.

At Jung's Mother's  Beauty Shop, women discuss a competition for a cosmetics modeling job being sponsored by Genius Cosmetics. They decide to apply.

In her office, Goo Jong Hee chastises Jung for having poor work and people skills.  Just then, her Father arrivesto meet her and overhears the harsh assessment.

In a conference room, Jung's Father gives her an expensive outfit he has bought for her.  She is bewildered.  He departs.

Back at the marketplace, Hong is once again standing around looking shell hocked.  Gil invites him to have lunch with her at an food stand.  She attempts to engage him in conversation but he is not in the mood.  But when she starts to apply lipstick, he is fascinated.

Jung's Mother and her Chingu arrive at the Beauty Center to apply for the cosmetics contest.  They sit down with Goo Jong Hee in her office.  Goo tells them that the company will hold an audition to determine the winner.

At home, the two Jung Sisters bicker.Then they learn that their Mother plans to join the competition for the cosmetics modeling job and are Not Thrilled.

Gil and her Brother notice that their Stepmother is paying more attention to her appearance.  They deduce that she is preparing to go on a Blind Date.  Her Brother tells her that he has signed their Stepmother up for the modeling competition.  Jung and her Brother try to persuade their Stepmother to show up for the audition.

Jung's Mother demonstrates her singing skills to her two daughters, who are not overwhelmed.  The girls plan to teach their Mother a K-Pop song for use during the audition.  The Big Shot Lawyer's Mother  overhears their plotting and later gripes about their scheme to her Son.   She decides to follow their example and asks her Son to locate and download a song for her.

Goo tells her Brother that since he has a Way With Women, he should take the lead in organizing the audition.

In her Bedroom, the Stepmother practices applying makeup.

Jung's Mother sings as she works in her Beauty Shop.  Big Shot's Mother smirks.

At  the Cultural Center Goo Choong Seo  practices singing with his band.  They are interrupted by his Sister.  Sitting in a nearby, empty, classroom, Jung's Father is irritated by their noise.

Jung's  Father, who is not paying attention as he is walking down the hall, bumps into Goo Choong Seo/  He immediately notices that Goo's jacket looks familiar.  When Goo searches for a business card in his inside jacket pocket, the elder Jung notices his name sewn into the lining.  He recognizes the tie Goo is wearing as well.  He wonders how Goo ended up with his clothes and becomes angry.

Gil and Hong sort through completed survey forms in a conference room.  She tries to make conversation but he is distracted.  He has noticed that one of the forms was filled out by Gil's Stepmother.  They bicker.  She leaves the room.  He follows her down a street. When he trips over something, she s startled to realize that he has been following her.  They sit on a park bench while she applies first aid to a cut on his arm.  He tells her not to treat her Stepmother so harshly and they resume bickering.  Before stomping off again, she tells him where he can send her paycheck.

Hong returns to his office and wonders why women are so difficult to get along with.

The Stepmother discusses her dispute with the deadbeat tenant with the Big Shot Attorney.  They conclude their business and the Stepmother tells him to finish his tea while she goes elsewhere to attend to business.

On his way out of the Shop, Big Shot asks the Stepmother's advice re gifts the Stepmother might like.  When the Assistant wonders why he wants to know, he feigns a romantic interest in the Stepmother.

In her bedroom, Gil regrets speaking so harshly to Hong.  Then she thinks of her deceased mother and begins to cry.  Her Brother enters the room and attempts to comfort her.    When he learns why she is crying, he asks for details about their Mother, since he was only an infant when she died.  The Stepmother walks by the bedroom and overhears her.  She becomes sad as well.  She enters her bedroom and reflects on how they must miss their natural mother.

On the street, Gil is applying lipstick.  Hong runs into her and her lipstick is smeared.  Just then, the Big Shot Lawyer happens by and takes in the scene.

So, is the daepyo (CEO) guy's mom is still alive?  I am not getting why his aunt and uncle behave like they do.  Normally they would be the types trying to cause him hell and try to steal the company, in dramas.  These two seem to be genuinely nice to their nephew.  Is the matriarch still alive and is watching them?

There also seems to be some mystery about Gil Eunjo's father, and some connection with the loser dad of the second female lead, the way the drama sets up some scenes with him and Mrs. Haengja, like at the end of Ep 11.  They are not showing anything clearly for us to guess though.

Archived