[Drama 2017] Hospital Ship 병원선

wildflowers

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yusefull said:

The baby thing that KH is doing (kangaroo hold) is from grey's anatomy and was done by alex karev. It's a move in drama just to show guy chest. Ladies, enjoy, the writer/director think of you.

If the writer/director had thought of the ladies, we should be getting kisses sooner rather than later, LOL.

9 hours ago, stroppyse said:

Preview translation

JG: Is this something that you can throw away without regret?
DooSang Chairman: You’ve thrown away some fun work?
H: I had an inkling when I did it, that it was all wrong. That a child is hurt is cause for the heavens to fall.
DO: Are you giving up? Without even trying anything?
Woman (?): There is nothing else we can do.
H: If we have done everything that can be done medically, let’s at least try to do something that a person can do, with a prayerful heart.

Something about seeing H rocking that premature baby... It's a strange mixture of sadness and sweetness.

Wait, so does this mean that KH is admitting that something DID go wrong during the suction and the transfer? So when he was cutting the umbilical cord and doing the suction, he felt like there was something wrong?

9 hours ago, monki said:

I really want to know if there will be a wrap up party. The usual practice is they will gather over a meal to watch the final episode together, then the leads will give speeches etc...right? If that's right, then it should be on Thursday.

I'm sure there will be a wrap-up party... Maybe on Thursday night where all the staff goes to watch the episode together, as you said. Usually the wrap-up party is on the day of the finale 

8 hours ago, icyphoenix said:

@ferily can we change our profile pics now?? Preview is out kekekeke 

No! No one can change their profile pictures ever :lol: I suppose everyone can change their profile pictures....which means I get to change my picture back to Minhyukie

4 hours ago, hppatronus said:

That scene where KH has the baby is sooo heart touching... the care and love and KMH looks adorable with that baby... 

When I saw KMH holding the baby and carrying it, I just flipped out and was like, omg!!

4 hours ago, yusefull said:

The baby thing that KH is doing (kangaroo hold) is from grey's anatomy and was done by alex karev. It's a move in drama just to show guy chest. Ladies, enjoy, the writer/director think of you.

Haha, oh really? BUT he doesn't show much of his chest in that scene, at least according to the preview. I'm more happy with the shower scene we got with Kang Minhyuk... Hehe.. :rolleyes:

Btw, the shower scene of KMH keeps appearing on my newsfeed on Facebook! It's like they want me to keep on watching that scene over and over again.. Or giving me personally fan service.

2 hours ago, cnblueminhyuk said:

I'm holding back tears thinking about how this is the last week, I know minhyuk has to go on tour and I'm a big fan of getting quality rest but I really hope he gets another drama in the nearest future cos I miss him already 

It's probably going to be awhile until KMH gets cast in another drama :( He'll probably be busy with CNBlue tour in Japan, huh?

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

@ferily, I listened to a different version of the preview, and there is a subtle change in H's line from my initial translation. What H seems to actually say is

"I had an inkling when I caused the ruckus. But, if that was all wrong, then that a child was hurt is cause for the heavens to fall."

The ruckus that he's referring to must be himself standing up to say that he was the one who had performed the post-surgery care. So, the thing that may be wrong could be his decision to step forward, or it could be his post-surgery care. Not sure from the clip what he's referring to as having been wrong.

With the prolapsed umbilical cord, the baby may not have survived transport to a land hospital or have had severe complications. The problem being that the umbilical cord is what allows the baby to breathe during birth until the baby's lungs have cleared and the baby is able to breathe on his/her own. If the cord gets trapped, then the baby suffers from oxygen deprivation and CO2 buildup for the duration which leads to brain, heart, and other organ damage.

In an ideal world, the baby would have been born in a hospital where they are equipped to take care of such emergencies. In the drama, however, the mother and fetus were already in distress when they came to the hospital ship. I'm not really sure I understand what the lawsuit is about anyway, whether they're saying that it would have been better for the baby to die rather than to be born with complications.

Also, it doesn't seem as if the parents and grandparent of the baby are aware beyond their lawsuit for money what the ramifications for the hospital ship itself is. And, perhaps if they did, they wouldn't care as long as they get their money, even though they're being used as a key point to cancel the hospital ship service.

Oh well. It's the final week, so I'm guessing that everything will resolve and the hospital ship will be providing its services to the islanders somehow. I'll have to just sit back and watch. :)

Oh, I see.. Yeah, I guess we have to wait till tomorrow's episode to hear the whole dialogue of the scene in order to fully understand what Hyun is talking about since we need the whole dialogue to understand the conversation (and only hearing one sentence from the dialogue can have different meanings in Korean :)).

I'm not surprised the baby would have problems though because it is a premature baby too, and like you said: the whole thing with the prolapsed umbilical cord since the umbilical cord is what the baby depends on for breathing while living in the mother's womb.

1 hour ago, ferily said:

Oh, I see.. Yeah, I guess we have to wait till tomorrow's episode to hear the whole dialogue of the scene in order to fully understand what Hyun is talking about since we need the whole dialogue to understand the conversation (and only hearing one sentence from the dialogue can have different meanings in Korean :)).

I'm not surprised the baby would have problems though because it is a premature baby too, and like you said: the whole thing with the prolapsed umbilical cord since the umbilical cord is what the baby depends on for breathing while living in the mother's womb.

I am no expert but when I was watching that episode, I was thinking, the baby has a 50/50 chance of surviving.  Meaning with the prolapsed umbilical cord where it is, if the grandmother did not let SEJ operated on the baby, the baby would have died.  But with the operation, the baby is still not clear of anything.  The baby still has a respiratory problem (due to being a premie).  The baby has a better chance to survive. 

So that ugly lawyer out there pushing for a lawsuit, the mom and grandmother have not really a chance to think this really through.   Hopefully with the conclusion soon, they will realize the baby is surviving because of SEJ.

Like @ferily said, we all don't know what the dialogue is said, we are all speculating (me included).  

Oh and thank goodness I can change that ugly picture.  The chairman's picture was a nuisance to me because I keep seeing that ugly fac.   

2 hours ago, kaciemom said:

I am no expert but when I was watching that episode, I was thinking, the baby has a 50/50 chance of surviving.  Meaning with the prolapsed umbilical cord where it is, if the grandmother did not let SEJ operated on the baby, the baby would have died.  But with the operation, the baby is still not clear of anything.  The baby still has a respiratory problem (due to being a premie).  The baby has a better chance to survive. 

So that ugly lawyer out there pushing for a lawsuit, the mom and grandmother have not really a chance to think this really through.   Hopefully with the conclusion soon, they will realize the baby is surviving because of SEJ.

so true.  I ask my OB btw about it..  she said that being a premie and with PUC the chances of the baby's survival is slim,  she is confused is to why the mother and the grandmother file a lawsuit against SEJ? though she said that most of this cases the parents are looking some one to blame because seeing your child suffer that much is very painful to them,  and said when you become a mom you will understand that mother more hahahaha..  now my OB watches HS on her spare time hahahaha

It's a drama, so don't think too much about the nuances of the lawsuit. In the real world it's unlikely to have seen the light  of day - if you got a lawyer worth his or her salt. But this guy is clearly in cahoots with doosung, AND it's a drama. I think we can afford to suspend a little bit of logic  lol seeing as how the rest of the drama esp the romance has been a tad too realistic  :wink: Looking forward to the finale.  

1 hour ago, elfvanvan said:

so true.  I ask my OB btw about it..  she said that being a premie and with PUC the chances of the baby's survival is slim,  she is confused is to why the mother and the grandmother file a lawsuit against SEJ? though she said that most of this cases the parents are looking some one to blame because seeing your child suffer that much is very painful to them,  and said when you become a mom you will understand that mother more hahahaha..  now my OB watches HS on her spare time hahahaha

What your OB said is true. My cousin died at childbirth. It's a situation where the doctors have to choose whether to save the mother or the baby and she asked the doctor to save her baby. She was able to cradle her daughter but died a few hours later. We, the family members did not blame the doctor for her death because we know that the team has tried their very best to save her. However the husband is a different story. He was in a wreck emotionally and blamed everything under the moon and the sun. He even wanted to take legal action against the doctors but we talked to him out of it because complications arising during childbirth is something that is unpredictable that's why very few insurance companies are covering pregnancies. His reaction is understandable though. It's a process of grieving.

So, I couldn't blame the mother for her action. She is grieving and worrying about her baby. I put the fault on the old hack chairman and the lawyer for taking advantage of her situation. SEJ and KH did their best in the situation. Their only mistake is they did not get the guardian to sign the consent form prior to the surgery. 

As we reach finale week, I feel like HS has left us with some unfinished sub-stories that could have been explored for another 10 episodes:

1) what happened to the teacher/poet?  did he move in to the same facility as Hyun's father?

2) did Dr. Kim finally clear out the second home for his beloved butler? he seems to still live in the dorm . . 

3) and of course, I'm not sure how far they will get with Dr. Song and Dr. Kwak's romance (cannot really cover very much in 4 episodes of 30 minutes each), but it would have been nice to see the relationship deepen abit....

4) did Hyun's sister get married?  Hyun's met all of Dr. Song's family, but I don't think Hyun's mom knows about Dr. Song, correct?

So many open-ended Qs.....

45 minutes ago, hjwtokyo said:

As we reach finale week, I feel like HS has left us with some unfinished sub-stories that could have been explored for another 10 episodes:

1) what happened to the teacher/poet?  did he move in to the same facility as Hyun's father?

2) did Dr. Kim finally clear out the second home for his beloved butler? he seems to still live in the dorm . . 

3) and of course, I'm not sure how far they will get with Dr. Song and Dr. Kwak's romance (cannot really cover very much in 4 episodes of 30 minutes each), but it would have been nice to see the relationship deepen abit....

4) did Hyun's sister get married?  Hyun's met all of Dr. Song's family, but I don't think Hyun's mom knows about Dr. Song, correct?

Great questions! Also, what happened to SEJ’s dad? Where is he now?

Where is KJG’s mom now that SEJ is facing a lawsuit and fired from the hospital. She was going to be her “Mom” but she is MIA.

KH’s mom has not met SEJ...

33 minutes ago, hjwtokyo said:

I believe that no news means good news  so, IMO, those problems have been conveniently  resolved earlier.

1, The teacher spent his last days the way he wanted, I am sure Kwak Ssem still monitored his health the way he keeps calling his patients for medical updates he always does.

2. Kim Jae Geol has made peace with his dad, his family is bonding strongly now, so we can conclude that his parents also take a good care of that old butler for sure. (remember the ambulance that was sent by KJG's dad was a special one with Dr Kang intact. (Dr Kang is the head of the ER , knowing that KJG's dad asked him to pick up the butler himself means that the patient/the butler is a very special person for the dad and KJG).

3. Let's wait for tonight broadcast to answer that question. ..:wink:

4. Doctor Kwak family's problem has been wrapped beautifully when the groom asked the dad's permission to marry his daughter. There is no more problem left from them. The reason we can or can't see the sister's wedding scene is, IMO depending on the budget of this drama. Story-wise, it gives nothing to the latest problem HS is facing.  Although I still want to see Song Ssem having a make over with a pretty dress and heels to attend that wedding and see Kwak Ssem's wow reaction :wub:

BTW No wonder this Thread is getting more quiet...beause most of our chingu here are having some fun at Shipper Paradise thread. It seems that  KMH is having a hard time leaving his role as Kwak Ssem yet...his instagram account lately is very telling :tongue:

53 minutes ago, tiamama said:

BTW No wonder this Thread is getting more quiet...beause most of our chingu here are having some fun at Shipper Paradise thread. It seems that  KMH is having a hard time leaving his role as Kwak Ssem yet...his instagram account lately is very telling :tongue:

Lol! No wonder this forum is so quiet these days! Everybody is at the KMH x HJW shippers forum.. You sneaky little devils.. :lol: Btw, side note, it's not abnormal that KMH is posting alot while Hospital Ship is going on... KMH posted on his Instagram frequently as well during his Entertainer days. I think he's posting more this time since he's the main.

@ferily@ferily I wrote an essay last week after the utter ridiculousness of the mother suing the doctor. Then deleted and didn't post cos' real facts are boring.

So trying to reduce this to one paragraph. Cord round neck is and can be the cause of intrauterine death or a stillbirth. The umbilical cord delivers nutrients and oxygen inside the unterus. The baby was under 2kg right ( drama mentioned it) so the prematureness is implied  but to me it is under 32 weeks  ( giving Asian baby weight hypothesis). But EJ FELT the cord round the neck when she did the examination. So baby didn't or may have oxygen deprivation already cos' mother having contractions. And prematurity and underdeveloped lungs and high flow oxygen have their own risks. The show didn't dwell on which part of the baby is causing the baby to not thrive. Then we have aspiration pneumonia from meconium right? When a baby takes its first breath etc it's when the lungs work ( blah blah long explanation how flow works ) but either way, the caescaerean is the least of the complications. 

The show chose to show that the baby isn't doing well. Not enough facts- usual for a Kdrama and this show- but to emphasis medical negligence. And implications for the hospital ship.

There was nothing based on reality about a doctor actually being judged negligent. You can't sue a doctor without using a medical expert. And the baseline is always using a reasonable standard. And the city council holding the doctors negligent- is it legally applicable and held for punishment? Kwak is on miltary service. If it is like any other national service nation- he is liable under military law at this point. Not civilian. Plus doctors should have personal indemnity insurance. And the council employing the ship personnel insurance to covers these instances too.

The whole actual plot holes for last week's plot- is kinda huge- but I chose to ignore it. So I guess just sayin' don't take the medical facts as gospel. And just accept the writer's logic. Cos' the whole prem baby under 2kg and being delivered and having complications? Duh. A real life baby which had cord round neck and was distressed and had probable low Apgar score is a given. At this point- the only medical thing that Kwak COULD have done is keep child warm and give oxygen. What the heck else can he do unless blood pressure is low and need a line and drugs. And or child is in so much distress he needed to be intubated. And ain't no way the ship would have the correct tube and scope. And honestly- how do you tell how much suction be didn't do? It is so subjective. And yes am used to seeing prem babies being flown and transported. They are pretty small and there is a limit to what you can do from the first place till you get to a neonatal ICU.

Checking.

Was this a long essay? Sorry. I already glossed over so much. Medically the whole incident sucked- as written by the writer. So just ignore the medical facts and focus that there is a lawsuit.

Archived