[Drama 2017] ♚ Seven day Queen 7일의 왕비 ♚

Admin

@maryofbethany

"yes, i did read that MH will be the Queen Janggyeong, and she did provided issues by JungJong.  King Injong was her first born-son, the Crown prince Yi-ho. "

Some historical information.

It will be up to the scriptwriter penship on how she approach the drama

There is a difference between Queen Dangyeong & Queen Janggyeong in their addresses in society

Queen Dangyeong is first & foremost known as Grand Prince Jinseong's principal wife/spouse or Jogang Ji Cheo 조강지처 糟糠之妻 & known in history as Jungjong 1st Queen Consort (Jeong Bi,정비,正妃) while Queen Janggyeong became Queen Consort as a succeeding Consort (promoted through the ranks of Royal Consort or Hugung 후궁,後宮 Naegung- 내궁 or commonly term as Royal Concubinage) known as Gye Bi (계비, 繼妃)

Queen Dangyeong married Grand Prince Jinseong later Jungjong in 1499 & his only wife until she was Queen Consort in 1506, lasting 7 days reign & deposed. Queen Dangyeong was deposed as Queen but was never divorced & in principal was the legal wife until her death 1557. Queen Dangyeong outlived Queen Janggyeong, so technically in the eyes of society she is still the concubine while Queen Dangyeong is the wife

Meanwhile Queen Janggyeong enter the rank of Royal Consort as 2nd rank Royal Consort Sukeui (숙의,淑儀) in 1506 & was made Queen Consort August of 1507 although she was made Queen Consort but she didn't enter the rank of Royal Consort alone as there were other usurpers who was also lining up their female kin to enter as Jungjong Royal Consorts.

I have my doubts that Jungjong will favour Queen Janggyeong as he will see her as a political partnership & may exercise prudence with her, we have to remember that her Uncle Park Won Jong put him on the throne & wield the actual political power behind his throne but then he died in 1510 & Queen Janggyeong's brother Yun Im took over the power

Crown Prince Yi Ho later Injong was indeed her first born son born in 1515 but he wasn't Jungjong first born. Queen Janggyeong had borne Princess Hyohye in 1511

The others who enter the ranks of Royal Consorts together with Queen Janggyeong was Royal Consort Gyeongbin of Park clan & Royal Consort Huibin of Hong clan (희빈 홍씨 熙嬪 洪氏 1494-1581), so she had competitor in Jungjong favours

Royal Consort Gyeongbin of Park clan (경빈박씨 敬嬪 朴氏 1492-1533) who had borne a son in 1509 & 2 daughters (Princess Hyesun in 1512-1583 & Princess Hyesoeng 1514- 1580) for Jungjong, her son Prince Bokseong-gun (복성군 1509-1533) was Jungjong first born son & was in his favourite & Royal Consort Gyeongbin had Jungjong's rendered favour

Royal Consort Huibin of Hong clan (희빈 홍씨 熙嬪 洪氏 1494-1581) also had Jungjong rendered favour. She had borne Jungjong 5 sons but only 2 sons survive adulthood Prince Geumwon gun (금원군,錦原君 1513 - 1562) & Prince Bongseong-gun (봉성군,鳳城君 1528-1547) who said that can pull Jungjong's heart strings

Jungjong is also a King that is noted on numerous occasions that render effectual sign of grace to palace maids & made them Consort. We are well verse in Dae Jang Geum when Seo Jang Geum friend Yi Yeon Saeng was made Consort (the historical Royal Consort Sukwon of Yi clan who borne Jungjong 2 daughters)

In MBC drama Flower of Prison the female lead protagonist in the end reveal that she was Jungjong's daughter hence a Princess when her mother was rendered effectual sign of grace

Royal Consort Changbin of Ahn clan (창빈 안씨,昌嬪 安氏 1499-1549, Seonjo comes from her lineage). In 1507, Royal Consort Changbin at the age of 9 enter the palace as a palace maid & was assign to Jungjong mother Queen Jasun's palace. In 1518, she was render effectual sign of grace by Jungjong. She borne 3 sons but 2nd son died young, eldest son Prince Yeongyang-gun (영양군, 永陽君 1521-1561) & 3rd Prince Deokheung Daewongun (덕흥대원군,德興大院君 1530-1559, father of Seonjo) & a daughter  Princess Jeongsin (정신옹주,貞愼翁主 1526-1552) for Jungjong. She was render permission to do the 3 years mourning period for Jungjong & was allow to stay in palace residence by Queen Munjeong

Royal Consort Gwiin of Han clan (1500-1575) also was render effectual sign of grace. She enter the palace at 1514 & render grace in 1518. In 1528, she borne a son but died young

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@maryofbethany

"yes, i did read that MH will be the Queen Janggyeong, and she did provided issues by JungJong.  King Injong was her first born-son, the Crown prince Yi-ho. "

Some historical information.

It will be up to the scriptwriter penship on how she approach the drama

There is a difference between Queen Dangyeong & Queen Janggyeong in their addresses in society

Queen Dangyeong is first & foremost known as Grand Prince Jinseong's principal wife/spouse or Jogang Ji Cheo 조강지처 糟糠之妻 & known in history as Jungjong 1st Queen Consort (Jeong Bi,정비,正妃) while Queen Janggyeong became Queen Consort as a succeeding Consort (promoted through the ranks of Royal Consort or Hugung 후궁,後宮 Naegung- 내궁 or commonly term as Royal Concubinage) known as Gye Bi (계비, 繼妃)

Queen Dangyeong married Grand Prince Jinseong later Jungjong in 1499 & his only wife until she was Queen Consort in 1506, lasting 7 days reign & deposed. Queen Dangyeong was deposed as Queen but was never divorced & in principal was the legal wife until her death 1557. Queen Dangyeong outlived Queen Janggyeong, so technically in the eyes of society she is still the concubine while Queen Dangyeong is the wife

Meanwhile Queen Janggyeong enter the rank of Royal Consort as 2nd rank Royal Consort Sukeui (숙의,淑儀) in 1506 & was made Queen Consort August of 1507 although she was made Queen Consort but she didn't enter the rank of Royal Consort alone as there were other usurpers who was also lining up their female kin to enter as Jungjong Royal Consorts.

I have my doubts that Jungjong will favour Queen Janggyeong as he will see her as a political partnership & may exercise prudence with her, we have to remember that her Uncle Park Won Jong put him on the throne & wield the actual political power behind his throne but then he died in 1510 & Queen Janggyeong's brother Yun Im took over the power

Crown Prince Yi Ho later Injong was indeed her first born son born in 1515 but he wasn't Jungjong first born. Queen Janggyeong had borne Princess Hyohye in 1511

The others who enter the ranks of Royal Consorts together with Queen Janggyeong was Royal Consort Gyeongbin of Park clan & Royal Consort Huibin of Hong clan (희빈 홍씨 熙嬪 洪氏 1494-1581), so she had competitor in Jungjong favours

Royal Consort Gyeongbin of Park clan (경빈박씨 敬嬪 朴氏 1492-1533) who had borne a son in 1509 & 2 daughters (Princess Hyesun in 1512-1583 & Princess Hyesoeng 1514- 1580) for Jungjong, her son Prince Bokseong-gun (복성군 1509-1533) was Jungjong first born son & was in his favourite & Royal Consort Gyeongbin had Jungjong's rendered favour

Royal Consort Huibin of Hong clan (희빈 홍씨 熙嬪 洪氏 1494-1581) also had Jungjong rendered favour. She had borne Jungjong 5 sons but only 2 sons survive adulthood Prince Geumwon gun (금원군,錦原君 1513 - 1562) & Prince Bongseong-gun (봉성군,鳳城君 1528-1547) who said that can pull Jungjong's heart strings

Jungjong is also a King that is noted on numerous occasions that render effectual sign of grace to palace maids & made them Consort. We are well verse in Dae Jang Geum when Seo Jang Geum friend Yi Yeon Saeng was made Consort (the historical Royal Consort Sukwon of Yi clan who borne Jungjong 2 daughters)

In MBC drama Flower of Prison the female lead protagonist in the end reveal that she was Jungjong's daughter hence a Princess when her mother was rendered effectual sign of grace

Royal Consort Changbin of Ahn clan (창빈 안씨,昌嬪 安氏 1499-1549, Seonjo comes from her lineage). In 1507, Royal Consort Changbin at the age of 9 enter the palace as a palace maid & was assign to Jungjong mother Queen Jasun's palace. In 1518, she was render effectual sign of grace by Jungjong. She borne 3 sons but 2nd son died young, eldest son Prince Yeongyang-gun (영양군, 永陽君 1521-1561) & 3rd Prince Deokheung Daewongun (덕흥대원군,德興大院君 1530-1559, father of Seonjo) & a daughter  Princess Jeongsin (정신옹주,貞愼翁主 1526-1552) for Jungjong. She was render permission to do the 3 years mourning period for Jungjong & was allow to stay in palace residence by Queen Munjeong

Royal Consort Gwiin of Han clan (1500-1575) also was render effectual sign of grace. She enter the palace at 1514 & render grace in 1518. In 1528, she borne a son but died young

@gerrytan8063 massive thanks for your detailed lineage of Jungjong and of the consorts too. That's clear part of my mis-info about Queen Janggyeong's InJong being the first born son. To be a king's woman, really calls for lots of generosity and zero degree of jealousy, being that, his woman no matter how much earned his favour, or "pulled his heart strings" still has to contest with the Load of court maids that may on numerous occasions be rendered 'effectual sign of grace'.

while i 'romantically' wish that he 'kept himself clean' (impossible of coz) for her the 糟糠之妻 Jogang Ji Cheo Queen Dangyeong (yes, i loved the meaning of this chinese words), to just limits himself to the few consorts, Royal Consort Gyeongbin of Park clan & Royal Consort Huibin of Hong clan, beside the Queen Janggyeong (the second rank.)

one thing you noted stands as a comfort to me, likely to the rest too, i highlighted in golden-yellow font (the color of Monarch). it does comfort to know, that till she died she remains the king's 糟糠之妻 Jogang Ji Cheo. i always thought Deposed means Divorce, well,... that's comforting for her to last till her passing that upon her death, she is still deposed, but in your own words "in principal was the legal wife until her death 1557">
hope the writernim made good of this piece of info, to bring in the emphasizes that she will 'sleep' with the knowledge that she died as his woman, deposed but not divorced.

very touching piece of knowledge.

@aileens

I beg to differ that having sad ending = low ratings. I would say it's because the two other dramas already had fixed pool of viewers who are invested in the show and hence is more unwillingly to switch over to watch another drama.
Two such other sageuks that had similar drama openings and theme that use sad flashforward scenes were 2013 MBC drama, Empress Ki and 2009 SBS drama, Ja Myung Go (which PMY also starred in).
Well, Empress Ki was a ratings-killer and they even produced an extra episode even though the at the start of the drama, there was already a sneak peak of a sad and impossible love story of Wang Yoo and Empress Ki shown. 
However, in Ja Myung Go, ratings were not so good because of its strong competitor in the same timeslot, Queen Seondeok. 
Both dramas had relatively sad endings for the characters which were previewed in the first episode but had different viewership ratings and results.
It's just unfortunate that 7DQ was aired later and did not get to enjoy the same headstart as the rest of the dramas. 

@maryofbethany

"while i 'romantically' wish that he 'kept himself clean' (impossible of coz) for her the 糟糠之妻 Jogang Ji Cheo Queen Dangyeong (yes, i loved the meaning of this chinese words), to just limits himself to the few consorts,"

Jungjong had 3 Queen Consort & 7 Royal Consorts & had 8 sons & 11 daughters

"糟糠之妻" comes from the Chinese saying "糟糠之妻不下堂" from the Book of the later Han (後漢書)

@gerrytan8063

Thank you for sharing with us, Gerry. It is always nice to know about the real historical story behind these figures. 

"糟糠之妻 Jogang Ji Cheo Queen Dangyeong"
For anyone who is wondering what do the bold words mean. 
Meaning: A wife who has shared her spouse's hardship
It means that Queen Dangyeong was acknowledged as the wife and queen that has been through thick and thin with King Jungjong. 

Episode 9 was excellent.  Loved Yeok's return, the air of danger throughout the first half, his war of words with the King, his interactions with the ministers and every single moment between the Prince and Chae Kyung. When Yeok was trying to get her to come out and the whistling, the scene with the notebook and the list of transgressions (lol!), the scar scene.  These two have some of the loveliest and most romantic, heart fluttering moments I've seen in a drama.  I love how the writer manages to mix them between funny, light hearted moments like the scene with the notebook  and painfully poignant moments like the scar scene. I love them!  Their romance is surpassing all my previous favourites.

I don't see why Yeok should be criticised for marrying Chae Kyung for political reasons.  We know he does love her and every single noble/royal marriage from that time was for political reasons and forming alliances anyway. The reason the King wanted the two of them married off  in the first pace was for political reasons because CK's family are loyal to him and he believed it would neutralise Yeok and make him powerless.  It's just that Yeok and CK unexpectedly fell in love. It's not like he is ONLY marrying her for political power.   He's obviously going to play up the political aspect in front of his mother and her allies as they are not going to have any sympathy for his real feelings for her.  Yeok is also being politically savvy to try to use the marriage to his advantage and he believes by gaining power he will be able to hold on to and protect ALL the people he loves - CK included.  Of course we know the sad reality but that's the dramatic irony of this story.

I don't think the King should be praised for refusing to use CK as a spy.  He isn't doing it for moral reasons but because he is jealous and doesn't want her that close to Yeok.

@raziela I understand your point. While Yeok does love CK, the politics just gets me mad. I don't like that minister and his niece. They seem like a replica of Secretary Im and Nok Su (but in a different way). So, when it boils down to morals, Yeok is only marginally better than the king. He's not above clever manipulation. It's only that he doesn't do it in the wrong way. The way I see it, both brothers have a dark streak. CK in contrast is the one who is always fair and wants good of everyone. 

The king in ep 8 admits that it was cowardly of him to use CK to catch Yeok. So he does possess some twisted sense of morality. :D

2 hours ago, babytotoro said:

@aileens

I beg to differ that having sad ending = low ratings. I would say it's because the two other dramas already had fixed pool of viewers who are invested in the show and hence is more unwillingly to switch over to watch another drama.
Two such other sageuks that had similar drama openings and theme that use sad flashforward scenes were 2013 MBC drama, Empress Ki and 2009 SBS drama, Ja Myung Go (which PMY also starred in).
Well, Empress Ki was a ratings-killer and they even produced an extra episode even though the at the start of the drama, there was already a sneak peak of a sad and impossible love story of Wang Yoo and Empress Ki shown. 
However, in Ja Myung Go, ratings were not so good because of its strong competitor in the same timeslot, Queen Seondeok. 
Both dramas had relatively sad endings for the characters which were previewed in the first episode but had different viewership ratings and results.
It's just unfortunate that 7DQ was aired later and did not get to enjoy the same headstart as the rest of the dramas. 

I agree with this.  I don't think the sad ending has anything to do with the poor ratings.  Numerous successful sageuks have unhappy endings.  I think starting after Ruler, SP and Rebel definitely hurt it significantly.  I am trying really hard not to care about the ratings but I don't understand why the show hasn't at least established it's own core audience and the ratings keep dropping. I would have thought it would be able to stay above 5% at least.  So upset for our wonderful cast and crew.:( 

I've seen some discussion on dramabeans about why the ratings are so low aside from the reasons we have discussed another aspect might be that the Korean audience who are generally pretty knowledgeable about famous historical figures dislike the very inaccurate and romanticised portrayal of Yeonsangun.  

I can understand this as Yeonsangun wasn't just some incompetent weak king.  He was hands down the worst tyrant of Joseon; he was rapist, a mass murderer, spendthrift who bankrupted the people and a deviant.  We've seen hints of his incompetence particularly in Yeok's research but the drama so far the hasn't had the courage to explore this in depth or just pins it on his two nasty sidekicks.  It might be distasteful to the domestic audience to see his documented crimes ignored or glossed over just for sympathy points as the third wheel in a fictional love triangle.  As an example of an average person's feeling towards Yeonsangun I was reading a 2016 article on The Economist website about the recent removal and impeachment of Korea's corrupt president. Park Geun-hye.  The movement against her was largely led and supported by the general population.  A Korean reader described her as the worst Korean ruler since Yeonsangun in the 16th century.  That should give you an idea of how bad his reputation is amongst the general Korean population.

2 hours ago, babytotoro said:

@gerrytan8063

Thank you for sharing with us, Gerry. It is always nice to know about the real historical story behind these figures. 

"糟糠之妻 Jogang Ji Cheo Queen Dangyeong"
For anyone who is wondering what do the bold words mean. 
Meaning: A wife who has shared her spouse's hardship
It means that Queen Dangyeong was acknowledged as the wife and queen that has been through thick and thin with King Jungjong. 

Thanks so much for for the historical knowledge, @gerrytan8063

That's lovely her role at his side was acknowledged and so sad seeing how things ended for them

29 minutes ago, shimshimae said:

I'm a huge shipper of CK and Yeok. It's just that 'using' people sounds distasteful. 

I'm one with you. Just finished watching episode 9 and got really disturb by Myung Hye's words that she will have the final laugh goooossssshhh, I can't help imagining the ending ...Chae Kyung deposed and Myung Hye ending as queen and mother to future King. Got totally pissed off with that thought,  hope they will not go to that extent in this drama cause honestly I don't know if I can take that.

I got confusing feelings while watching rhis episode, part of me is happy that our OTP is finally together but at the same time feel sad that Yeok could partly be only using Chae Kyung to achieve his political ambition. I wish we can turn back the time to the younger Yeok when his love for her is pure and selfless.

I'm glad that at this point Seo No's character remains to be true to his old self wish he will be till the end cause he is the only one I can see trustworthy here 

@raziela wow i agree with u about the king that being portrayed here. Kr might have difficulty connecting to the story since its abit off in terms of who the king is actually. Kr is not forgiving in this part. Whats more the recent president is compared to the king. 

Will be back for more

34 minutes ago, saved2K said:

I'm one with you. Just finished watching episode 9 and got really disturb by Myung Hye's words that she will have the final laugh goooossssshhh, I can't help imagining the ending ...Chae Kyung deposed and Myung Hye ending as queen and mother to future King. Got totally pissed off with that thought,  hope they will not go to that extent in this drama cause honestly I don't know if I can take that.

Me too! I don't think I can take it! :( Hopefully, since the show is about CK, they will spare us. 

Yeah. Seo No is the only other character who is true to his self. I hope he gets quality time with CK since they were friends as kids. I love that pic previously posted where he meets CK. He looks so happy! And composed. :D

@raziela it's even more heartbreaking now. This means even when Ruler and SP end, 7DQ ratings might not go up. :'(

@raziela

"That's lovely her role at his side was acknowledged and so sad seeing how things ended for them"

Queen Dangyeong was indeed the virtuous wife that befit the Chinese idiom "糟糠之妻" 

Remember when Yeonsangun was dethrone by usurpers, hundred of soldiers surrounded Grand Prince Jinseong house & Grand Prince Jinseong thought it was the remnants of Yeonsangun loyalist who were out to kill him & Grand Prince Jinseong was ready to commit suicide than be taken but Queen Dangyeong dissuade him, by advising him that if the horses are facing them, then they are here to capture but if they are here to protect them then the tails will be facing them then found to be the latter. Grand Prince Jinseong ascend the throne as Jungjong

In the animation Jang Geum dreams, after Queen Dangyeong was deposed, she assures Jungjong not to worried about her welfare & to think of his duty in being a benevolent King for his people.

We have the folk tale of the red skirt on the rocks of Inwangsan mountain as a sign of appeasement for Jungjong longing for her

Queen Dangyeong then drop off historical obscurity, although there was call to restore her as Queen in 1515 but couldn't overcome political debates It was not until in 15th November 1544, Queen Dangyeong visit the gravely ill Jungjong in Hwangyeongjeon, Cheongdeokgung palace for the last time & Jungjong dies on the 29th November 1544

When Injong ascended the throne, Injong acknowledge Queen Dangyeong as his father's wife, change her residence name from Pyebigung (폐비궁,廢妃宮) to a more appropriate befitting Jasugung (자수궁,慈壽宮)

In 1557, when Queen Dangyeong dies in the 12th year of Myeongjong, she was given 2nd rank (이등례, 二等禮) befitting of a Princedom funeral & rites

Lastly Queen Dangyeong restoration of her Queenship in 1739 had been mentioned in previous posting

8 minutes ago, Ct Dora said:

@raziela wow i agree with u about the king that being portrayed here. Kr might have difficulty connecting to the story since its abit off in terms of who the king is actually. Kr is not forgiving in this part. Whats more the recent president is compared to the king. 

Will be back for more

Well I can perfectly understand where they are coming from..... maybe they are not as notoriuously forgetful as we are as a nation and people, we have the worst memory I guess hahaha

Well, I'm reminded of this movie called Anna and the King. It was a fictionalised account of the love story between an English governess and the emperor of Siam (Thailand). It was so beautifully and aesthetically shot. Chow Yun Fat played the part of the emperor. But because of the inaccurate historical portrayal, the movie was banned in Thailand. 

Archived