[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, Princi_86 said:

@princess nour90 You think that they'll go there for a long period? I thought they'll film some scenes there like in was with Heirs in USA and usually it takes few days. It should be so expensive to film in such a place like BANFF, plus rider for all team. Hope that nothing has changed in their plans even if Wookie won't go there, Gong Yoo only (or with KGE), I wish them to film there to bring this project more value and publicity. 

i don't know if they 'll shoot few scenes or they 'll stay longer but i've feeling the overseas scenes 'll be for GY and LDW to show their life as Goblin and reaper 

• Like 8

Kim Eun Sook writer-nim seems to love to set her drama in foreign places.. but I feel the same about this drama. I doubt that they will film in Canada on the same scale as they have shot DOTS. There was a reason for DOTS to be filmed overseas since it was integral to the plot where the characters are overseas on their individual missions. For Goblin, if GY's character has to look for a human bride and meet Kim Go Eun, they must somehow return to South Korea? Unless Kim Go Eun's character is Korean Canadian and is living in Canada and they have to bring her back to South Korea somehow... :sweatingbullets:

If they are filming in a place like Banff, it would be absolutely beautiful! To be honest, most places in Canada are beautiful. :heart:

• Like 6

%B5%B5%B1%FA%BA%F1.jpg?type=w1

tvn Drama Goblin " Destiny and a curse "

Goblin and otherworldly messenger met in somewhere

Bride and goblin

About Their sadness over the Earth and Their beautiful story

Mysterious romantic story

Sungjae-Yoo-In-Na-lee-dong-wook-gong-yoo

Gong Yoo, Lee Dong Wook, Kim Go-Eun, Yoo In-na, Yook Sung Jae

Mainstream actors starring in one Drama

We already start work since that being expected.

Stay tuned plans aired in late 2016

Goblin / NK Company 

http://blog.naver.com/nkcom00/220819619287

• Like 8

On 22.09.2016 at 1:52 PM, yaoyao20121221 said:

this version of Yoo Duk Hwa's description may be more accurate.  Yoo Duk Hwa was born in 1992.

I can't view this picture but is it this one? 

Spoiler

CtDLDGOXEAAJP5a.jpg

Someone told me that Kim Shin meets him in 1992, it's not his birth year. If Yoo Deokhwa is a human, then did they meet when he was a little child? lol. I mean, Sungjae is 21 years old, so he must play someone in his 20s. But if he is a goblin too then it will make sense. 

I hope someone can translate the text so we can understand it better ^^ 

Edited by melodymel
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, melodymel said:

I can't view this picture but is it this one? 

Reveal hidden contents

CtDLDGOXEAAJP5a.jpg

Someone told me that Kim Shin meets him in 1992, it's not his birth year. If Yoo Deokhwa is a human, then did they meet when he was a little child? lol. I mean, Sungjae is 21 years old, so he must play someone in his 20s. But if he is a goblin too then it will make sense. 

I hope someone can translate the text so we can understand it better ^^ 

yes you are right.  it means "Kim Shin met him in 1992 ".  Yoo Deokhwa's character age setting is 25-30. so 1992, is not his birth year!!

• Like 6

hey all, looking forward to this drama, i like what i've read about the story and characters so far. lol i have no idea how any of the romance are gonna work out since one is with a goblin who wants to end his immortality because of the pain his suffering from the sword in his heart and a human girl who  has the ability to be to kill him and a human women and a grim reaper, so im interested to see how it pans out, even if its sad, i'll be fine with it as long as it makes sense albiet i'll probz being crying in the corner over it lol.

as for yoo deokhwa' s character i found it kinda weird that his kim shin's chaebol nephew, i was like is kim shin a cheabol then(it wouldnt be a stretch since his lived for almost a 1000 years, he must have saved up), is his nephew also a goblin, is his whole family cursed or something, what if that's just his family line carried from all the way back from the past or maybe he isnt his blood related uncle, it could be more like a makeshift family type of situation, either way im interested to know what their uncle-nephew angle is really about and their dynamic.

i also read on han cinema that yoo deokhwa's is the 13th generation of his family that worships the goblin. which i found interesting, dont know if its true or not

http://www.hancinema.net/goblin-first-script-reading-with-gong-yoo-kim-go-eun-i-and-more-98309.html

i like the fact that eun tak, kim go euns character can see all sorts of spirits, i was kinda surprised but really happy that she isnt just a ordinary human. also because that way she would be more involved in the fantasy elements of the show and not be distant from it or oblivious. hopefully they do cool stuff with that. i was also thinking, wouldnt it be good if sunny and eun tak became friends or sunny became more like a older sister type figure for eun tak. after all there isnt a love rival triangle/square going on here, so we can forgo the mean evil 2nd female lead or friendship breaking because of a guy or girl. 

im also looking forward to how they add the fantasy/folke tale elements to the story, hope we get good mythology and world building. 

anyways cant wait to see it, hopefully we get more tid bits here and there, cause this drama seems be quite under wraps in terms o pics and everything. 

• Like 8

Kim Sohyun will make a special appearance in Goblin. She will play the queen (we already have a king who is Kwak Dong Yeon). She's talented and I'm happy to see her reunite with Sungjae after School 2015 (although I don't think they will have any scenes together). The drama's cast is getting even better. 

htm_2016092694419732741_99_2016092609450

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=241&aid=0002597450

• Like 10

On 9/26/2016 at 9:38 AM, melodymel said:

Kim Sohyun will make a special appearance in Goblin. She will play the queen (we already have a king who is Kwak Dong Yeon). She's talented and I'm happy to see her reunite with Sungjae after School 2015 (although I don't think they will have any scenes together). The drama's cast is getting even better. 

Tons of acting talent, boatloads of personality - now we just need the good Kim Eun Sook (Cityhall) to show up & give us a great mix of mythology, bromance & romance.

I am sooo rooting for this drama!!

Mod edit: Do not quote images.

• Like 8

I love her she's so talented everyday this drama became more exciting and promising :wub:

Please (KES) write good drama and don't waste all of these talents :)

• Like 7

Wow. tvN using their stars for cameos in this drama as well! Cool! This girl is charming and tallanted.^^ I only hope that they'll invite some other cameos as well from their hit projects like "Reply 1988", "Signal", "OHEA", "Oh my ghostess". Since "Goblin" doesn't have big hallyu stars in it, they should creat permanent buzz around. Acting wise this drama is already should be the best for the rest part of the year.  Now they need good PR.

• Like 8

@bila_a1 welcome here^^ Agree with that this drama sounds so promissing. I also expect not only bromance, but friendship of female leads as well like it was in DOTS but maybe without bickering. And yeh, this drama seems to be under wraps currently. I was expecting same as tvN normally do for every drama - starting promotion from the very first filming days. But for this potential hit drama they're staying quiet and just released 1 cameo news after almost 3 weeks of filming. Not saying that I was waiting for Bts pics and selcas posted by cast on their Instagram's or officilial SNS of them or their agencies. :huh: Maybe they have their own strategy for promoting this drama, but for us fans it's a torture. Haha

• Like 8

ALAS! After years (jk) of lurking around this forum, I finally got myself to make an account to jot down my thoughts and ~feels~ about this upcoming masterpiece drama with you guys. So, hi everyone! I've literally been following this drama ever since news of Kim Go-eun's casting came out, so needless to say, I'm a fan of hers (and Gong Yoo and Sung-jae and pretty much everyone else in the cast b/c casting is quite perf. :blush:) and I've been so excited about her comeback--along w/ the gorgeous Gong Yoo! Thanks to the person that created this forum and to everyone that's been participating and omg, all the goodies ya'll been posting! Can't wait to join in w/ the progress w/ this drama from now on.

• Like 8

Omo! I didn't even think about Sung-jae x Kim So-hyun reunion! Aw man, they cheated me w/ the Ghost casting, so I really wanna see them act together again!

• Like 5

On September 1, 2016 at 2:17 AM, tw20127 said:

Hello all...I've decided to join this thread because this drama happens to have all my favorite actors in it.:wub: The story about a goblin and a grim reaper sounds very interesting and I really liked the way Kim Eun Sook writer wrote the two separate love lines in DOTS...I'm very happy that there won't be a major love triangle forming in this drama (no shipping wars yay:D) Also, tvN's dramas are top-notched in the industry so I have really high hopes for this drama! :blush:

Since I could understand some Chinese, I will translate this picture here:

2429dd160924ab184bb1ad8c3dfae6cd7a890bb1

Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) 

• Goblin
  • His name has a hidden meaning. His name "Shin" means belief. The people call him "Believe in god"
  • He was stabbed by the sword of a king he once served, but manages to survive as a goblin

Wang Yeo (Lee Dong Wook)

• Grim Reaper (a messenger of the underworld)
  • He was abandoned by the king he served and died. Cursed with amnesia and became a messenger of the underworld.
  • He doesn't remember anything aside from his responsibilities as the reaper
  • He meets a woman (the reincarnation of the king he served) and experiences a sense of deja vu

In regards to Wang Yeo and Kim Shin, the picture mentioned that the two characters will have a "bromance" The two of them coincidentally become roommates. They argue a lot but also depend on each other a lot.

Ji Eun Tak (Kim Go Eun)

• Human bride to Kim Shin
  • High school student
  • Orphan
  • Because she was an orphan she had an unfortunate childhood, but she is very strong and positive in character and retains her will
  • Her life of poverty suddenly takes a turn to fantasy

Kim Sun (Yoo In Na)

• Female con artist
  • Orphan
  • She uses her beauty to take advantage of men and fill her own pockets. However, when she meets Wang Yeo she falls in love

Note: Details of the drama are subject to change. It is unconfirmed whether it would be 100% preproduced. The airing date is sometime in the middle of December 2016 on Fridays and Saturdays. The genre is "romantic comedy" but doesn't necessarily mean it will be a happy ending :o

Detailed character descriptions:

Kim Shin

Reveal hidden contents

Kim Shin: He was a "war god" who bathed in blood and killed his enemies in order to grant the common people peaceful lives.

However, he only saw the sharp blades of his enemies and failed to see the fear and jealousy of the one he served, and died under the sword of the master he protected.

Whether it is by the heavens' will or not, Kim Shin has survived as a goblin for the past 939 years. 

The sword is still stuck in his heart, constantly reminding him of the pain he suffered when he died. As a result, he suffers from weak nerves, bipolar disorder, and insomnia. 

Nothing has changed. A thousand years pass. The weak king. The weather is still ironically bright and sunny.

Even after he becomes a goblin he couldn't change his old habits as a human. Even though the people didn't know, Kim Shin was still their guardian god throughout the 900 years.

Aside from the eternally ticking time, the only thing eternal is the grim reaper who lives with him.

The fact that someone else is immortal like him provides great comfort...it is the reason why he kept the reaper as roommate despite the horrible environment

Unlike Wang Yeol who abstains from worldly pleasures, he loves beautiful women, barbecues, and alcohol, which suits his "disposition of a general"

"Only the bride of the goblin can pull the sword out"

It is a very romantic curse.

He thought it would be easy. Height, taste, sexy gaze, and most importantly, time and money. He has all the things a woman want. But he doesn't know what kind of woman could pull the sword out.

One day, he meets a 19 year old girl who calls herself the bride of the goblin. A fresh-faced high school student, Eun Tak could become the tool that will end his pain and make him disappear. In other words, Eun Tak is the only thing that could kill him. 

Although he could finally escape from all the pain and loneliness, Kim Shin is hesitant.

Because of Eun Tak's bright smile, the days where he doesn't want to disappear have increased.

Wang Yeo: 

Reveal hidden contents

Wang Yeo: 

Disciple asks: What is death?

Confucius answers: You can't talk about death when you don't understand life itself

Like Confucius, he is also asked that question a lot. He always answers: "Death, is a date with me."

I am a messenger of the Underworld. When I opened my eyes again (after death), I have become a reaper. 

Everyone is surprised when they see him. First they would find him handsome. Then come the realization: "Oh, I'm dead."

The pale face, black lips, and black robes are things of the past. Replacing the "records books" are the GQ magazines. Wang Yeo favors Northern European designs.

He has forgotten when exactly that he started his job as the reaper. He has helped countless souls cross to the underworld.

Because he is very experienced, he could sense a dying person from a single sentence. 

People are becoming more unwilling to leave the living world. But some are too eager to leave without another glance.

Living with the goblin Kim Shin, Wang Yeo's personal limits are tested 12 times every day.

Whenever it gets bad, Wang Yeo would think: "What did I do in my last life to deserve this?"

But, he has no clue of his past life, what kind of person he was, and why and how he had become the reaper.

He dislikes vagueness. White or Black, Cold or Hot, Life or Death. He likes to distinct everything clearly.

Anything that requires compassion or imagination isn't his hobby.

The only thing that catches his interest are television dramas which are "melodramatic to the max"

He is addicted to them because they are unpredictable.

However, he feels dizzy upon meeting a woman. A wave of nostalgia and yearning washes over him...even though it was the first time he met her. 

Despite the fake clothing and accessories she wears from head to toe, she still shines brightly, just like her name, Sunny. 

From then on Sunny became his interest. He finds everything about her fascinating.

He tried to use his imagination, but all the answers to the questions were wrong...since he learned them from watching dramas.

Every time this happens Sunny would laugh. 

He is confused. 

Is this fate? Or is it a mistake?

Ji Eun Tak:

Reveal hidden contents

Ji Eun Tak:

Her nickname is "Mr. Lee" her life of poverty has taken a sudden turn to fantasy.

The night her mother died, she had no choice but move with her aunt's family. Without her mother by her side, Eun Tak endured the abuse of her aunt and her children.

She came to an understanding. There are no gods in this world.

She wanted to become a normal high school student. But from birth, she was anything but ordinary.

When Eun Tak's father heard her mother was pregnant, he abandoned them.

Her mother died when she was nine years old.

Despite this, Eun Tak continues to be positive and tells herself "I have lived with Mom for nine years. Which means I have lived a happy life more than half my life."

She can see things that others can't.

When her neighbor's dog died, she found out the fact that she could see the spirits.

Because of this strange ability, she was often ostracized by the others.

In the whirlpool of her misfortunes she meets Kim Shin. In the beginning she thought he was a normal spirit. To her surprise he was actually a goblin...and the fact that she was fated to become his bride.

Wait..

Is it fate? Fate...

What a romantic word.

Most importantly, unlike how it is in the folktales, he (the goblin) is much more handsome.

No matter which door she opens, it would become a dreamlike paradise full of fantasy and adventure.

Her curiosity is awakened. It has become a habit.

She wants to see him even when he wasn't around.

Waiting for Kim Shin...is just as exciting as waiting for the beautiful future that has yet to come.

Even though his unstable temperament does cause trouble from time to time...she understood since there is a sword stuck inside his heart. 

But, the sentence "pull out the sword" hurts just as much as saying farewell.

If humans souls could live four lives, then which life was she on?

She wished this was her first.

Because she wanted to meet him in her second, third, and fourth life.

Kim Sun: 

Reveal hidden contents

Kim Sun:

Sunny, who can "easily become someone's first love" is approaching her thirties.

Since a long time ago she knew that women who knows how to do agyeo will live the most comfortably.

A man's appearance is the window into his mind.

Therefore, diamond rings are a must.

She is an orphan.

A fortune teller once told her: "Her life is like a boat floating in the endless ocean."

Kim Sun asked, her eyes shining: "Is there a handsome man on the boat with me?"

She thinks her face is a money saver (since she doesn't need to spend extra money because she was already beautiful)

All her money is spent on clothes and shoes. 

Money may be limited, but beauty isn't.

There are many "wallets" on the streets. She only needs to take one by the arm to the cashier.

Everything about her looks glamorous and luxurious.

Because she likes things that shine brightly, she even changed her name to "Sunny"

However, the more she acted this way, the more her life loses its shine. Her debt also increased.

The strange credit card bills all happen to bear her signatures...there's no mistake.

She is also struggling to pay her rent. Along with the pay of her workers.

Kim Sun found the ring she wanted when she meets Wang Yeo the first time.

He was the first man who did not yield to her.

He had deep, soulful eyes that were full of sadness.

A glance of his clothes and accessories tells her that his annual income is at least 100 million.

She knew immediately that he is a single man who hasn't experienced love yet.

When she began to approach him, she also began to find more things about him that were strange.

Going to work means shutting himself inside his home. His age, his past...those are the things he never mentions.

Even though she doesn't know anything about his past...she still imagines a future with the two of them together.

At first she thought he was merely a handsome fool. But from time to time his eyes, full of sadness, would appear before her.

Even though she doesn't really sympathize with others...

Thank you so much for all the super jinjja daebak information! This was really insightful and you're fantastic for taking the time and effort to translate and share this information with everyone here. :))) Reading this got me excited and the detailed plot/character descriptions allows me to understand it all more and I'm looking forward to this more than ever now. December is just too long~! Thanks a bunch! 

Edited by hiemoi
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, hiemoi said:

ALAS! After years (jk) of lurking around this forum, I finally got myself to make an account to jot down my thoughts and ~feels~ about this upcoming masterpiece drama with you guys. So, hi everyone! I've literally been following this drama ever since news of Kim Go-eun's casting came out, so needless to say, I'm a fan of hers (and Gong Yoo and Sung-jae and pretty much everyone else in the cast b/c casting is quite perf. :blush:) and I've been so excited about her comeback--along w/ the gorgeous Gong Yoo! Thanks to the person that created this forum and to everyone that's been participating and omg, all the goodies ya'll been posting! Can't wait to join in w/ the progress w/ this drama from now on.

Hello! This is such an adorable post that I feel like I have to respond! I was pretty much in the same position two years ago and, finally succumbed to the great motivation to create an account and start posting! I am not very regular on this forum though - I only start posting more often when there is a drama that I really want to talk and rave about! :blush:

I quite like Kim Go Eun too - I was a little taken aback when the netizens reacted quite negatively to the first news of her being casted as the potential love interest of Gong Yoo and the goblin. I find her image appealingly normal and, because of how she has that image of the girl-next-door, she has a high chance of fitting the role of the human bride, I think!

Nice to meet you! :) I am so obviously a fan of Gong Yoo though. :D

• Like 6