[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Exploring Filming Locations of Guardian: The Great and Lonely God.

Korean tvN’s television series Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (도깨비:Dokkaebi) is now continuing its ever growing popularity in 2017!

Staring Gong Yoo, Lee Dong-wook, Kim Go-eun, Yoo In-na, Yook Sung-jae and based on story by Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote popular series including Secret Garden (2010), The Heirs (2013) and Descendants of the Sun (2016), Guardian is becoming a new record breaker loved by Korean drama fans throughout the world.

Besides the talented, attractive actors and interesting polts, the beautiful scenes from Guardian have created a great buzz on the internet. Are you curious where were they taken? Now let’s find out!

1. Gochang Buckwheat Field

Spoiler

1.png

21.png

3.png

Still remember the breathtaking buckwheat field where Gong Yoo heard Go-eun’s voice while holding a bunch of buckwheat flowers? This scene was taken at Gochang Borinara Farm in Jeollabuk-do.

The field changes from season to season and was so beautiful that many Korean movies and TV series such as A Werewolf Boy (2015), Twenty (2015), Memories of the Sword (2016), The Sound of a Flower (2016) have made it their filming sites.

Location: 158-6 Hagwonnongjang-gil, Gongeum-myeon, Kochang, Jeollabuk-do

2. Hanmi Bookstore

Spoiler

5.png

4.png

One of the most classic romatic cuts from the series – when Gong Yoo and Go-eun walked by a bright yellow coloured book store, then stopped and gently touched each other’s hair. The yellow colour was so comforting and added more warmness to this scene.

It was just so beautiful and even became a trend for Korean young couples to visit the site and remake the scene! Why not come with your own loved one and make your own beautiful memory^^

This Hanmi Bookstore is exactly located in a street full of used books called “Baedari Used Book Store Street” in Incheon, among many other small but stylish used bookstores. Totally worth visiting, and even better if you love books!

Read the rest of the filming locations here: https://bnbheroblog.com/2017/01/08/exploring-filming-locations-of-guardian-the-lonely-and-great-god/

6. Duksung Women’s University Unni-dong Campus, Gong Yoo’s House (interesting, no wonder it looks so grand)

Can you ever imagine that Gong Yoo’s House in Guardian is actually a building from a University?

Spoiler

14.png

13.png

Gong Yoo’s white house was from Duksung Women’s University Jongno (Unni-dong) Campus in Seoul. Built bewteen 1911-1912 facing a tranquil garden, the house surely shows some western touch other than traditional Korean style buildings.

It was in front of this house where Go-eun sees Gong Yoo’s sword.

https://bnbheroblog.com/2017/01/08/exploring-filming-locations-of-guardian-the-lonely-and-great-god/

• Like 24

So 29-year-old ET goes to the Canadian cafe and meets her CEO, whom she has a crush on, and who turns out to be the spitting image of Kim Shin, except he's now sporting gelled hair swept back exposing his forehead. They eat their meal, flirt with each other, she likes him, and he obviously likes her, and at the end of the meal, he says, "Would you like to take a walk in the park with me?" And she beams at him, and shrieks, "Yes!"

They walk together slowly in the park where they first walked all those years ago, and stop at the very same tree, and what do you know, a red maple leaf comes floating down and CEO Kim Shin lookalike catches it deftly in his hand. She stares at him, and she says slowly, "I....feel....we've....done....this....before...." And he stares right back at her. Then he smiles. Freeze frame. The end. Forever.

I can't decide whether Kim Shin lookalike is Kim Shin reincarnated, with, or without his memories intact....I'd rather he be wiped of his memories totally....the man deserves a break.

I also can't explain why Kim Shin would be reincarnated so fast....help me out, someone.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, cristapark said:

Actually I'm still confuse too if it's really KES decided to cast KGE..some commenter in Twitter and IG says that it's GY who recommend and choose Her.. 

You're right i've read it too somewhere....Well i like it more if Gong Yoo was the one who requested for Kim Go Eun to be his Ji Eun Tak...i've been searching those news articles (abt GY getting KGE for Goblin) on other flatforms....which gives more hope that they could end up too IRL.

• Like 9

I found this beautiful Kim Shin Colored pencil drawing. I'm not sure if it was share yet. This is prefect!

viewimage.php?id=25b2d221ead034af60&no=29bcc427b28677a16fb3dab004c86b6fae7cfdc6a7b48ad935a3ceda3738ae9d5182f279b69f6cc3812906feeb7d909cbddc90e5a409a95f8beb25f291eba0

viewimage.php?id=25b2d221ead034af60&no=29bcc427b28677a16fb3dab004c86b6fae7cfdc6a7b48ad935a3ceda3738ae9d5182f279b69f6cc3812906feeb7d909cbddc90b3f70aaa5a81e971f291eba0

2 hours ago, gutibear said:

No memory loss. I against memory loss. Say no to memory loss. Please, pretty please...

It's almost certain that it's going to happen and I'm very depressed about it! Even if they meet again as the same people, it won't be the same without the memories. The first love, the first kiss, the first hug, the first confession and so on. They felt so much happiness during those first times that it seems heartbreaking for them to forget all about it. Personally, I will feel the this kind of ending is not perfect as I wished it to be. I don't care how they get their memories back. It could be by a touch, kiss, the Deity generosity or even by magic. It doesn't matter as long as they remember everything. And I hope it will not be a rushed ending where they meet in the last five minutes of the drama and stare at each other. That will really make me angry!

I forgot to say... I love the new OSTs! :heart: I didn't expect them to be released today. What a lovely surprise in the morning! :grin:

• Like 19

32 minutes ago, ChewyChocolate said:

So 29-year-old ET goes to the Canadian cafe and meets her CEO, whom she has a crush on, and who turns out to be the spitting image of Kim Shin, except he's now sporting gelled hair swept back exposing his forehead. They eat their meal, flirt with each other, she likes him, and he obviously likes her, and at the end of the meal, he says, "Would you like to take a walk in the park with me?" And she beams at him, and shrieks, "Yes!"

They walk together slowly in the park where they first walked all those years ago, and stop at the very same tree, and what do you know, a red maple leaf comes floating down and CEO Kim Shin lookalike catches it deftly in his hand. She stares at him, and she says slowly, "I....feel....we've....done....this....before...." And he stares right back at her. Then he smiles. Freeze frame. The end. Forever.

I can't decide whether Kim Shin lookalike is Kim Shin reincarnated, with, or without his memories intact....I'd rather he be wiped of his memories totally....the man deserves a break.

I also can't explain why Kim Shin would be reincarnated so fast....help me out, someone.

Can they do it without memory loss?? Pls pls no memory loss :( All the sweet things and moments they had will likely go onto waste huhuhu :( Writer-nim, I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN STORE FOR US :( 

PS. Even thinking about them having memory loss makes me depressed! My heart is breaking. Huhu.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, gutibear said:

No memory loss. I against memory loss. Say no to memory loss. Please, pretty please...

This is suddenly distract my mind

memory loss = they show more about powerful fate

even the memory loss, they still meet.

and I have a feeling that if ET or KS still meet at the end. that person who ET met at quebec is, KS himself.

those come up to my mind like a lighting. 

Euntak Favorite Word, Destiny, Fate, Umyeong. like the writer want to send another hint. hmmm... how about this??

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, ChewyChocolate said:

He can't reincarnate so fast, you answered the question already. If ET was supposed to meet Shin on her 29th birthday, then shin can't reincarnate and get so old so soon! Unless he is a 10yrs old :S. It has to be the same Shin. I think there is chance that ET is the one with memory loss, or it could be that there is no amnesia at all. Shin would just go away one day from her life, and when they meet again on canada she is sitting there because she's supposed to meet her boss...hence the name calling? Don't know I am making out stuff now.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@carolinedl Thanks a lot for the compliment. :)In my opinion, God's actions circulate around forgiveness: the punishment, the reincarnation system, the tea ceremony, the afterlife... all these are tools to make people to regret and to forgive so that they can become better human beings. Each time people make mistakes or committed sins, a second chance is given to them, after regretting deeply their action. Then if they live a really good life without any sin (like the boy from1968 or the blind man), they are able to go to Heaven. The main goal is to send them to Heavens. Even the GR have the chance to redeem themselves in my opinion. When KS was turned into a Goblin, it was a reward for his goodness and the injustice done to him, yet KS had also sinned. If God had given him just that immortality, KS would have never learnt that immortality is not just a gift, it is also a burden which means that Death is not a punishment in the end. When he died, he resented God because he felt wronged... That's why his spirit remained in the sword. As conclusion, he saw death as a punishment. Yet, his other problem was that he never really lived, when he was a human. All his world was evolving around duty and war. He sacrified his sister in order to fulfil the promise made to the former King. As you can see: duty, loyalty, sacrifice and war were the rules KS was following back then. After he became a Goblin, it was again the same: he helped people, he tried to redeem himself for his sins. So he has to embrace his death in the end... death is not a punishment.

It is interesting that the lady in Red is acting like Eun Tak's mother. She gave her a gift on her 9th birthday, gave her advice, protected her with the plants (spinach), came to the ceremony graduation and scolded the teacher like any mother would have done. When the lady in Red says that ET is pretty, it is not because of her pretty face, but because of her goodness and good character. While all the human beings are considered as her children, Eun Tak seems to be her true child because she is able to forgive and love people so easily. She is the entire opposite of the evil eunuch Park Joong Won. She is genuine, he is manipulative. She doesn't use people and doesn't seek help from them, while the other is doing the opposite. He uses people (see the female Grim Reaper and the King) in order to achieve his goal: become the true ruler of Goreyo! That's why I also believe that Ji Eun Tak's life must be connected to Park Joong Won's life as well.      

@bebebisous33 hmmm... i loved this post, which is one of those very excellent post about God and his redemption work. One prob when i start off this drama is worrying the many rants or misunderstanding fans of our awesome actors may generate against the Awesome God who always see beyond what we interpret and has a higher will, higher plan, and always wish us well, being a God that sees, listens to all prayers, beholding answers for our own goods, and deliver redemption or justice in His own timing.
God's way of dealing with us, pretty much sums up by the 6 Rs into 3 stages:
1) Regrets (sins) in Revelation of sins(which involved remembrances.)
2) Repentance, Redemption,
3) Revival (Returns to HIM), Rewards, Return back to glorification, or just Returns Home.

Regrets / Revelations or Remembrance of sins/injustice.
i never really though i should be touching on grand topics like Remembrances, Regrets, Redemption in just watching Kdrama. your post inspired me to say something. and i was also glad that you help us to visualized the world of Kim Shin before his mishap and like what you said, "Yet, his other problem was that he never really lived, when he was a human. All his world was evolving around duty and war." Regrets accumulates much in KS's life, because like you say, he never truly live, nor loved his wretch life. His life was just his sister, and the late king who he sworn loyalty to, its a life full of regrets. Living a life with a simple family in some Buckwheat Field or farm will never cross his mind, even when the weigh of a whole noble family clan lies upon his shoulder, even when he send her sister off to marry young king... he should know that parting may be the last time he sees her, telling her no news about him from the war-zones, is good news. from the moment he saw Young prince climbed up the wall to peep at sister till that pavilion send-off, till the gift of the sword of death by the king, telling him to send back news of his death... he was never a happy man, duties and protecting his family always what runs his life. But i was glad he never really listened to the selfish king to do a half-effort job in fighting the war and to die at the field. He fought and won every wars that were predicted to fail. that was how he loved his country not blindly in obedience to king, he was supposed to lose all these wars and return corpse-cold. which means he fought hard, but his heart should be hurting more than the blood or wounds. like you said he never live. Remembrance of all these does not add any joy to his latter 939 yrs of life, maybe only his sister. maybe like what you said, he still make one sinful mistake, not to mention about killing of thousands of enemies (which you may account as him being loyal to country serving country). His Grudges and bitterness in "When he died, he resented God because he felt wronged...". This is what he died thinking, so like what DH (possessed by "The Butterfly aka Above") said, this is what you want? Justice right? as he lying dead, thinking God did not hear, so God reply by showing HE heard well and give him 'justice' more than what he wants... yet all along kept him thinking that prolong life is a punishment, and death is not a reward but a rest finally, be it never come if the Bride never appear. Remembrance pains him, because his never-ending wants of finding his sisters and right the wrongs, and finding Yeo to demand justice, all these hopefully be done before the revelation of who is the Bride. Blaming God for world's sufferings or evils (aka 'Above') was always by itself a sin.
Repentance bring Redemption
i was thinking, was the identity of ET as his Bride already 'predestinated' as KS's Redemption, which means the "Above" (aka Butterfly") already foreknow that ET's Mom will be hinted by Birth Granny and ET will be saved and chosen as Bride. which means this Bride is NOT created by KS himself, his redemption was predestinated from the beginning when "Above" heard his 'death-wish' (or 'Death-rant'). when God (or "Above" as called by KS himself), grant a 'punishment', HE already predestinated a redemption plan, and will ET into the plan. But did God ('Above') factored in both the Bride and Groom may fall in love, and both resisted giving KS his belated death-wish? Does Above willed it that both will fall in love and willing to die for each other, one willing to die so that his loved one need not met her fatal accidents. the Other refused to draw the sword to see him vanished into ashes, but both tried their best to find a new variable / a new door. Mean while, both needs to see Above been a merciful God, and not a Merciless chessplayer who treat all merely as chess. Until KS or WS recognised their state and be humbled, i guess that door will not appear from nowhere, we cannot draw one from Yeonjoo's tablet in W-2worlds. haha.

Rewards / Rest / Returns
i guess the last state whereby Rewards comes, or just a Rest & Returned to the Creator in blessed state (in this case, climbing the heavenly stairs) and not vanished into ashes, we never see it as a blessing or a gift, but deem it as "by default our rights" for living good lives. We also will never see it coming, that there might be a Rest/Rewards which is already predestinated at the end of the Road, behind the closed door, is another Door to a reward to the obedience that ABOVE required KS or WS to fulfill (including ET / Sunny to realise). i always remembered the story of Abraham sacrifice Isaac, the well known biblical story. what the G-D L-RD calls for, is our complete humility and obedience, when Abraham trusted that G-D knows what He is doing, when He promised Abraham's future descendent will be as many as the stars in the sky, when God wants Abraham to 'sacrifice' Isaac on the Mount Moriah, Abraham remembered G-D's promises, at same time, he obedied and willing to sacrifice Isaac, So G-D stop him at the crucical point and said actually HE was tested his obedience and faith. Some times, i keep thinking can KS and ET be tested in such. that all "Above" (Butterfly) ask for, is trust that He does listen to their prayer and moans of sufferings. That HE did answered them for what they ask, death for KS, and stop suffering in forgetting all for WS. which means some times we do NOT know what is best for us, and we ask G-D to grant our wish, when HE did, it is NOT what is best for us. it takes our humility to understand and submit.

it be take KS and WS's humility to break down, beyond each other's grudges against each other, WS to fully repentance and willing to remember all his sins and pay for it. KS to forgive WS till extends of not wanting WS to die... Only Grace begets Grace. Then Above came open the Door KS has been looking for to save ET and himself, in same cases, by all means save WS and Sunny. When all 4 is willing to lay down their lives for each other. a new variable will appear, which lead to Rewards as in Rest/ Returns to Mortally and returns to God's favour.
sorry for preaching. just felt this story has some truth very biblical.  

@packmule3 do continue to tag me for all your posts. here to another 'Sunday-Sch Class" member< @romanov who's else interested in biblical stuff references. hahah. mods, sorry not intention to do evangelistic work here, LOL. just find the regrets / repentance / redemption / rest (heaven) theme intrigued my interests to show the parallelism here.

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, nearsea said:

He can't reincarnate so fast, you answered the question already. If ET was supposed to meet Shin on her 29th birthday, then shin can't reincarnate and get so old so soon! Unless he is a 10yrs old :S. It has to be the same Shin. I think there is chance that ET is the one with memory loss, or it could be that there is no amnesia at all. Shin would just go away one day from her life, and when they meet again on canada she is sitting there because she's supposed to meet her boss...hence the name calling? Don't know I am making out stuff now.

Unless Kim Shin doesn't die, God rewards him by giving him life as a human. He will age and grow old with ET. His memories...not sure about those... 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@carolinedl

It is interesting that the lady in Red is acting like Eun Tak's mother. She gave her a gift on her 9th birthday, gave her advice, protected her with the plants (spinach), came to the ceremony graduation and scolded the teacher like any mother would have done. When the lady in Red says that ET is pretty, it is not because of her pretty face, but because of her goodness and good character. While all the human beings are considered as her children, Eun Tak seems to be her true child because she is able to forgive and love people so easily. She is the entire opposite of the evil eunuch Park Joong Won. She is genuine, he is manipulative. She doesn't use people and doesn't seek help from them, while the other is doing the opposite. He uses people (see the female Grim Reaper and the King) in order to achieve his goal: become the true ruler of Goreyo! That's why I also believe that Ji Eun Tak's life must be connected to Park Joong Won's life as well.      

I really really liked the part where ET realised that the RL is the halmoni and that she was always getting greens for a reason and that she was actually there all these time. The flashback that she got and the realisation that was shown on her face. Such a touching moment.

• Like 8

@ChewyChocolate is that a fanfic?! If it is (and not an actual spoiler) , you're awesome. Although it's very typical but I really liked how you wrote " She stares at him, and she says slowly, "I....feel....we've....done....this....before...." And he stares right back at her. Then he smiles. Freeze frame." Woaaa, I can so imagine him smiling with that soft expression. *warms my heart* though it would kill me to have that ending because they should remember what they have went through. ahhh

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

You read my mind chingu...... that's a possibility indeed... after emotionally killed his brother in law Kim Shin, his wife... the whole Kim Clan and I think Park Joong Won is dead.. no more influence from anyone so his brain and mind start to re evaluate everything and there is nothing left but guilt.. regret and remorse.. it's getting worst and worst day by day even every breath is a torturing hell... I do believe Wang Yeo is suicided.

7 hours ago, makeuptemple said:

that enoch got poisoned, that is why his tongue, lips are that dark..   his sparks gone from his face after his wife's death and he looks unhealthy..  depressive, so sorrowful 

Not sure if you missed that in episode 1 ... Kim Shin KILLED the eunuch ... it was shown AND mentioned in episode 12

4 hours ago, makeuptemple said:

Ok GRP came across with the Enoch around 90 yrs ago if I'm not wrong but he was not scared of GRPs. grp couldn't capture him. What I am thinking is this Enoch might be more powerful than we think. Generally the evil souls spirits in limbo use lost souls , low level spirits and evil spirits not as powerful we have seen it in many supernatural dramas including Ghost Whisperer.  

There this child Goblin helped & he became a lawyer he didn't drink tea as well.  He wasn't punished 

Was just 20years ago, but who counts ;)

• Like 4

I am obsessed with these screencaps, I should be sleeping right now. :sweatingbullets: This drama made me go back to photoshop after a long time ahahha

uj4vN1M.png FZWCJKA.png 2YqLyRK.png

5yssolE.png 8C5iFxb.png bYznJRd.png

F4hvuLh.png jG2b5Is.png auHp28C.png

TNoFB2N.png jLXZSsX.png MmuFXpw.png 

ju6knLG.png lDvMOS6.png jjaja6I.png 

vSZHqg9.png RlbEYu0.png XOEvkBm.png 

I love these shots if you couldn't tell lmao *cries internally*ArTL94n.pnglyVDQ1Q.png

Edit: I really think there will be memory loss at the end too. 29 year old Euntak says it is the her first time to go there with a man. And we all know that man is Kim Shin. And she talks to Sunny who is the sister of Kim Shin, like there is no way she wouldn't know about him. Holy moly I got so sad right now. I hate amnesia ends. I hope the future can be changed any time. All this progress (Sunny rememberring, GR being Wang Yeo and ShinTak love,) must mean something. :tears:

• Like 16

Hi. Long time lurker here. I just wanted to say thank you to all your posts and thoughts. I truly appreciate it. i love this show so freaking much and I am getting a bit weary of the "chemistry" topic or responses on db and db review comments. I get it. To each his or her own but I truly feel it's unfair to criticize Ji Eun Tak's character or the lady that portrays it. I love Kim Go Eun and watched her since CITT... I truly feel it's quite possible that she is portraying JET as the character was written. But the thing that most critics forget was that Eun Tak never had a chance to live out a somewhat carefree life as a child or teenager since she was being treated so badly by her Aunt and her kids. 

Although I will say that I do get it--at a certain point I would love to see a little less of the cute and more of the deeper feeling. Much like when Ji Eun Tak was crossing the street and Gong Yoo was reading the book of poetry. It's like BAM. Whoa. That moment!!!

Pardon my rambles. I hope that made some sort of sense. Thanks again for all your thoughts and analyses. I truly appreciate it!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gutibear said:

Agree for me better they die together than memory loss,or one loses the other but still keep living on the memory,but still keep on living their best,and they meet afterlife without reincarnate again :P

Their memory is just what makes them special huhuhuhu my wish is that they're all alive and remember everything,cheesy and unrealistic but hey this is all fantasy why not keep the ending best dream of all xD 

But i just go with the flow,any ending,i enjoy the show :) thanks writernim and all production team

• Like 8