[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

i seriously have problems keeping up to this page! a good thing!   I got my husband hooked since ep4 and we i re-watched ep1 and 2 thrice just for him! And yesterday he just asked me is there goblin today! I said no! its another drama that I am watching..haha! Other than signal, this is the other drama that I have him hooked. best part, i bought him White musk last year for christmas and i just pointed the bottle to him! I said, see you can be goblin too!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, valzki said:

if GR wasn't offered the tea, he shouldn't not forget his past. is it his punishment to not remember all his past? 

No, I believe that King WY received the tea ceremony much later. Before that, he had to remember his wrongdoings and regret these. The regrets would make him to want to turn the time back well aware that he couldn't change the past. I do believe that GR get to drink the tea, but notice that each cup of tea has a different colour. In the last one, the daughter and the mother had to drink it from a blue cup of tea. Moreover, some of them go to Heaven and others get reincarnated. That's why I have always said that the colour corresponds to their next "life" and how they lived theirpast life until they died. We had as colours

- white

- black

- red

- blue 

- brown

• Like 17

10 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@nubianlegalmind @princess nour90 The reason why GR is much younger than the goblin (900 vs. 300) is because when the king died, he wasn't offered the tea. Remember the case number 2: GR didn't give him the cup of tea and the drunk driver was told that he would never forget his wrongdoings and remembering was part of his punishment. The way GR described the driver's  future "life" (his hell) was so emotional that you could feel that GR had experienced it too before getting the tea and become a GR!

By the way, we were told in the last episode that one GR recognised his wife and ran away with her... This little detail is important because this case proves us that GR can disobey, remember their past and try to live again. Maybe GR and Sunny will be put through such a situation. However, this is no real solution.

hmm I wonder where was GR for 600 years and what was his punishment.being a GR doesn't seems too bad

• Like 10

2 hours ago, turtle0217 said:

BTW, at the end of episodes 1-5, the OST sung by Punch is a different version, right? It doesn't sound the same as the one that has been released that featured Chanyeol. The lyrics are different, too. Is there a different one that they'll release? 

i'm sorry i cut your post ^^ 

yes, i realize the difference in the OST by Punch in some episodes in the drama and the ost that they released. i've tried to search but couldn't find the one that they didn't released. i prefer the different version from the released one. i like the lyric more. 

• Like 12

18 minutes ago, joyezz said:

hmm I wonder where was GR for 600 years and what was his punishment.being a GR doesn't seems too bad

It is a punishment because as a GR, you sometimes have to take away innocent people. GR tried to do some justice (case one and two) but he can't sometimes: the girl and the doctor for example. It is a punishement to bring death to people. Moreover, he can't live among humans because he has no identity.  Since he has never interacted with humans, he has no idea to have a real conversation that's why he is totally lost, when he is with Sunny. He has to ask DH or ET for advice. Not remembering who he was in the past but still able to feel the pain is terrible. He has not forgotten the pain he suffered from the past. Actually, he needs to find out his past so that he can help the people he wronged in the past... that's God's plan for his redemption.  

• Like 17

2 hours ago, LyraYoo said:

If using VIKI subs , there's an explanation about the wordplay the writer is imposing in the dialogues (similar to the wordplay between 5,000 won and 'confess' , Park Bo Gum and 'Sword')

첫 means first , and i think the words "aren't ( when he asked aren't you hungry) ",  "noise" and " bed"  sound similar to "first" which is related to their first kiss 

*feel free for the korean speakers to correct but that was what I understand from the viki explanations *  cute1 onion head 

2 hours ago, ucylucy said:

@hallee It's a word play that gets lost in translation if you don't watch it with Viki subtitle. In that scene, Eun Tak gets mad at Kim Shin because she thought he was going to ask her about her "first kiss" but he said the "first snow" instead. He ends up needling her when she ask him not to say anything that involves the letters "ch" in Korean ("first" starts with "ch").

This is the translation from Viki.

Eun Tak: Don't talk about anything that involves the letters "ch" (the first letters of the Korean words for "first kiss" and "first snow')

Kim Shin: Hey, you got that first question wrong. ("first question" also starts with "ch")

Eun Tak: Don't do that!

Kim Shin: Aren't you hungry? ("hungry" also starts with "ch")

Eun Tak: Don do that!

Kim Shin: Why do we hear so much traffic noise when you are trying to study? ("traffic noise" also starts with "ch")

Kim Shin: Is the bed comfortable enough? ("bed" starts with "ch")

Eun Tak glares at Kim Shin while he smirks at her. End scene.

So it's just Kim Shin being his usual petty self because Eun Tak shot him down at discussing their first snow/kiss. Or just Kim Shin needling her to get her attention in his usual way. 

Hide contents

I highly recommend that you watch Goblin with Viki subtitle if possible. Goblin uses a lot of word play that gets lost in translation with VIU and Dramafever subtitles. You miss the subtle and deeper meaning behind their conversations.

thank you for your explanations, chingus :wub: no wonder i felt weird when watching that scene and confused  why ET got mad when KS was care for her. Lol.. how i wish can watch Viki in my country *sigh

• Like 10

3 hours ago, joyezz said:

whoa nice caption right there :wub:

I will find you

I will recognize you

I will remember you :tears:

this scene was so beautifully shot with the sunset and everything.They don't even know their tragic love story but that meeting feel so melancholy

yes I keep think that Who Are You song is for WangSun story and not yet revealed! Like from the first 'where I am, who I am' 'a lot of people passed by (GR)' etc etc. I really wait for their story.

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, aurelly said:

Cute Fan Art..

"Going to Play Store"

Hide contents

Cr Owner

@itzibitzispider I also think like that. And KS find her. 

Can't wait to see beautiful scene at the resort * suddenly remember winter sonata*

Also he told her (after her wedding singer job)

"You can run, but you can't hide"

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, I believe that King WY received the tea ceremony much later. Before that, he had to remember his wrongdoings and regret these. The regrets would make him to want to turn the time back well aware that he couldn't change the past. I do believe that GR get to drink the tea, but notice that each cup of tea has a different colour. In the last one, the daughter and the mother had to drink it from a blue cup of tea. Moreover, some of them go to Heaven and others get reincarnated. That's why I have always said that the colour corresponds to their next "life" and how they lived theirpast life until they died. We had as colours

- white

- black

- red

- blue 

- brown

i didn't realize the colours of the tea cup until now. i was busy paying attention to the subs since sometimes the sub changes quite fast and it was hard for me to pay attention to the details. thank you chingu :)

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

It is a punishment because as a GR, you sometimes have to take away innocent people. GR tried to do some justice (case one and two) but he can't sometimes: the girl and the doctor for example. It is a punishement to bring death to people. Moreover, he can't live among humans because he has no identity.  Since he has never interact with humans, he has no idea to have a real conversation that's why he is totally lost, when he is with Sunny. He has to ask DH or ET for advice. Not remembering who he was in the past but still able to feel the pain is terrible. He has not forgotten the pain he suffered from the past. Actually, he needs to find out his past so that he can help the people he wronged in the past... that's God's plan for his redemption.  

makes sense :) maybe being GR is the path to his redemption but before that maybe he has been punished in hell or something :crazy: for 600 years.

@winterdew omo :wub: Prince Wookie 

C0wRHbyVIAASdS-.jpg

hahaha 

• Like 20

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

It is a punishment because as a GR, you sometimes have to take away innocent people. GR tried to do some justice (case one and two) but he can't sometimes: the girl and the doctor for example. It is a punishement to bring death to people. Moreover, he can't live among humans because he has no identity.  Since he has never interact with humans, he has no idea to have a real conversation that's why he is totally lost, when he is with Sunny. He has to ask DH or ET for advice. Not remembering who he was in the past but still able to feel the pain is terrible. He has not forgotten the pain he suffered from the past. Actually, he needs to find out his past so that he can help the people he wronged in the past... that's God's plan for his redemption.  

That's a great explanation! The part on him not being able to live among humans is a good point. It's like living but not really living--and that's indeed a punishment. Kim Shin has his own fair share of problems and is dealing with the eternal pain of the sword impaled in his heart, but at least, in the aspect of not knowing, not remembering, and not having an identity, I think Wang Yeo has it worse. Also, with regards to @valski's question on whether it's his punishment to not remember his past, I think it's both a punishment as well as a relief of sorts. It was mentioned in episode 8 that perhaps their memory is erased so they won't be tormented by it, and they can repent while they carry out their reaper duties for eternity. Also, the hearsay about the reaper who recognised his wife from his past life and escaped with her... could that be a foreshadowing of what WY might do? But it was said that the reaper and his wife were mostly likely caught... if WY tries to do the same, he won't be getting away scot-free either :tears:

Screenshot_921.png

@gamshe Thanks you for the beautiful edits you posted! I really loved the one you made with the lyrics of "Who Are You". I think it's very relevant to WangSun too ^^ Looking to see more of your work here!

• Like 15