[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

8 hours ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

3. I read a comment that said mellow ending should be used in order to maintain the consistency and not to mess the intricate plot that has been built all along. Perhaps so, even if my heart might unable to take it anymore after the shitty ending that is SH. Just NOT WITH OPEN ED. that will pisses the heck out of me (like SH)

4. If the writer intend for happy ending it will be interesting to see how they will get their happy ending out of this soppy mess of a situation. Just don't make it "magically" happen. It will ruin the meaning of the story.

Sorry to cut your post ^^ 

Not only me, but all the immortals prefer the happy ending for all the cast. I don't like sad ending or open ending either. But if KES decides to make one of them, i will just be happy with that way too. Because i can see Gong Yoo and i won't regret watching it since he has made me buy the PPL. Lol... and i will be like this:

1go5em.gif

• Like 12

Annyeong chingus! Wow this thread moves very fast. I apologize that I haven't gotten around to reading all your wonderful posts! Hope to catch up soon in the next couple of days. I hope we get Episode 9 & 10 this weekend - definitely looking forward to the double date!

Book sales jump as Guadian's popularity soars

650goblin.jpg

The continued popularity of tvN's fantasy-romance drama, "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God," is pushing books featured in the show onto the best-seller list.

Gong Yoo, who plays an immortal goblin, reads the book "The Stars Might Take Your Pain Away" to his human bride, played by Kim Go-eun.

"Writer Kim Eun-sook is a book lover," an official of the drama production company Hwa & Dam Pictures said. "She takes inspiration from books and uses those books as part of the drama material. The book used in ‘Guardian' is also handpicked by the writer and included in the script."

"The Stars Might Take Your Pain Away" is a compilation of 101 poems selected by renowned Korean poet Kim Yong-taek that includes Kim In-yook's poem "The Physics of Love." As soon as the drama's fourth episode aired on Dec. 10, the book gained renewed attention.

Although many other product placements (PPL) used in TV shows make viewers raise their eyebrows, the book in "Guardian" has been used efficiently as PPL.

In the first week between Dec. 7 and Dec. 13, the book reached the top five in overall sector sales, and it topped the best-selling book list in the following week. Poet Kim In-yook republished his book with the new title of "The Physics of Love."

"With the drama's production company, we have made a PPL contract," said an official of Wisdom House, publisher of "The Stars Might Take Your Pain Away."

Although the exact price for the PPL is unknown, industry insiders say it may reach 200 million to 300 million won.

"Nowadays, book PPL is recognized as a common thing," an industry insider said. "Major publishing companies actively use it in marketing. If it is well used, as in the case of the drama ‘Guardian,' I think it works positively, injecting new vitality to the waning local publishing industry."

Goblin (Guardian: The Lonely and Great God) Quotes and Narration Episode 5 & 6

Episode 5

“Life is a mixture of all sorts of genres. What genre was your day today? Rom-com? A strange but beautiful fantasy? A sad melodrama?” -Ji Eun Tak-

“Her smile reflected the light of the sun when it is the brightest.” -Kim Shin-

“Ji Eun Tak: Ahjussi, do you love me?
Kim Shin: I will if you need me to. I love you.”

“You and I started long before you were even born” -Kim Shin-

“At the age of 29, you’re still shining. But I am not by your side. My life of eternity has finally come to an end. Times after my death, you are still here. You have forgotten me & your life is perfectly complete with me gone. I have to disappear to make you smile. In the end, that’s the decision I’ve made” -Kim Shin-

Episode 6

“This sword is the punishment. However, even if it’s a punishment, isn’t 900 years enough?”  -Kim Shin-

It’s not a punishment! The deity wouldn’t have given you those abilities as punishment. If you were a bad person, he would’ve created only the goblin. He wouldn’t let you meet the goblin’s bride to remove the sword!” -Ji Eun Tak-

“There is no life that deserves to die.” -Grim Reaper-

“Life is a momentary thing. You come & you go” -Ji Eun Tak-

“I’m humbly accepted my fate & is living a brave life as the goblin’s bride” -Ji Eun Tak-

“Every moment I spent with you… shined. Because the weather was good, because the weather was bad and because the weather was good enough. I loved every moment of it. No matter what happens, it is not your fault!” -Kim Shin-

• Like 18

9 hours ago, dramafanvidsdropper said:

guys... You are all awesome. I am amazed by how fast all of you are in this thread. It is a lot of joy for me to reading all of your thoughts on this one page, I want to press likes button as much as I can handle!!! How can I... I can't be like you guys, I can't do that deep analyzing or that deep diggin' contents share and my english is not good:sweatingbullets: I guess I'm that enjoy-er  one. I want to appreciate all of you for all the shares, thanks:heart: I hope you guys don't mind about: that I just press like buttons for all-of-your-amazing-posts and share the fanvids that I love and I think should be recognized by you guys and I'm so excited to do that. I hope you guys don't mind, once again:tears::tears:

Welcome to the thread! :wub: 

It doesn't matter whether your english is good or not. We are not lecturing anyone here. Haha... just speak out your thought and we'll understand it anyways. We share some joy and fun in this thread and let you know i've been lack of sleep for the past 2 weeks since i joined this thread. Lol...

So, be careful once you join us here :glasses: the more the merrier though. Haha... 

P.s. i am catching 5 pages backreading now. Lol

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Visually-wandering said:

Dear @selenette and @valzki, Actually.... my hubby started to nagged me about this sleepless live pattern I got since Goblin airing. --___--.... Hours of download for 1 ep, screencapturing, editing, trimming vid, ripping mp3. I've tried to lured him to watch this too, but he doesn't like fantasy story. :tears:

Btw @maryofbethany, I'll be waiting for that thesis about chemistry of both otp. Because I've been hooked to this drama because both couples and all the casts just showing overflowing perfect chemistry.

Can i say that this drama and this thread have made my life turned upside down? Lol... it's kind of obsession to me recently :sweatingbullets: and i'm posting this in the morning at 3 a.m. haha.. and i'm getting that editing and trimming vid part from all the immortals here now. OMG! :blink: 

No wonder Gong Yoo finally accepted this drama after rejecting KES for 5 years. All the casts, the story, the chemistry, the BGM, the effects are amazing. So does the PPL. Haha...

• Like 16

8 hours ago, naritul said:

I prefer "hot ahjuhssi goblin" grab my hand, opens a door, and i'll be there in his bedroom at the coffee shop " afternoon dating and smiling giddily"

D A E B A K!!! you are AWESOME!!! what is your son name? korean too?

how do you know that he died in his 30s?

COFFEE PRINCE'S BEDROOM KISS? :scream:.... ONE OF THE BEST KISS in KDRAMA history??? THAT KISS??? 

I'LL BE DEAD!!!! RIP ME!!! :skull:

@itzibitzispider said "I want to go shopping at the the nearest mall (where there is a body shop), but if I tell my kids they will kill me for sure "

Well...This namja has heard you... 

GOOD LUCK CHINGUYAAA!!!! :naughty:

@itzibitzispider EDT : Eau de Toilette (a dilute form of perfume)... i put the product under spoiler, make sure you dont forget LOL hahahahahahahaha

Hide contents

aaaahhhh done showering with my new "White Musk Shower Gel"... gone craaazeeeeyyyyy!!!!

Are you sure you want to go to the coffee shop? ;) i think i misread it "in his bedroom". Hahaha... date with Gong Yoo as a Goblin in his bedroom will be the best date in history :phew: 

I name him with japanese one since i couldn't find a suitable name in korean for boy. Hehe...

Huahahahaha... i really laughed out loud in midnight because of your post and the gifs :grin:  How can you resist not to buy the edt @itzibitzispider now? Hahaha...just tell your kids that you are going to the market to buy some fruits and vegetables? *white lies  :naughty: hahaha... 

• Like 7

@Princi_86 thank u for welcoming me i said it before i don't like comparisons between actors i can freely express, share my love for my beloved actor without underestimating other actors 

i think there's 2 different teams filming maybe one indoors and other one outdoors since they've tight schedule also i feel so sorry for all actors& crew who 're filming  in this cold weather either so early or so late i wish safety for all cast :)

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, valzki said:

Are you sure you want to go to the coffee shop? ;) i think i misread it "in his bedroom". Hahaha... date with Gong Yoo as a Goblin in his bedroom will be the best date in history :phew: 

I name him with japanese one since i couldn't find a suitable name in korean for boy. Hehe...

Huahahahaha... i really laughed out loud in midnight because of your post and the gifs :grin:  How can you resist not to buy the edt @itzibitzispider now? Hahaha...just tell your kids that you are going to the market to buy some fruits and vegetables? *white lies  :naughty: hahaha... 

The best kiss in "coffee prince" was in his rooftop

And NO ... I could not ... I could have if it would have smelled icky ... but ... :

• Like 20

5 minutes ago, itzibitzispider said:

The best kiss in "coffee prince" was in his rooftop

And NO ... I could not ... I could have if it would have smelled icky ... but ... :

Is it? Perhaps the bedroom kiss was the most passionate kiss one. But i like all the kisses there. Hoho...

Ahh finally you have it? :w00t: the complete set one. Haha...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, valzki said:

Is it? Perhaps the bedroom kiss was the most passionate kiss one. But i like all the kisses there. Hoho...

Ahh finally you have it? :w00t: the complete set one. Haha...

Hey every girl needs to spoil herself ... and the gift box was 25% off ... hahaha ... if noone gives me a x-mas present ..

And Kim WooBin told me to ...

I love the "coffee prince" so ... 

• Like 6

So, I am not going to give my usual recap of this drama that I would normally give, because truthfully all of the GOBLETS on this thread are just all types of awesome and have already given great recaps and opinions of the last two episodes.

However, the last episode really has me thinking about Wang Yeo a/k/a the Reaper and reincarnation. If he has been a reaper for 300 years, then surely during that time, someone he has walked through to the other side, he has seen them again reincarnated in another life. This makes me curious about how this will play out with him. He knows so little about himself. No name. No memories of family. No memories of past love, etc. All he can do is associate feelings, but no memories. Memories play a huge part in reincarnation, because in order for someone to be "born again", their past life has to be somewhat forgotten. In his case, his amnesia is more of a punishment, but I also believe it is somewhat of a reprieve. 

Clearly, when he was King Wang Yeo, at some point, he regretted the decision he made to listen to the eunuch and other evil parties around him. Killing Kim Sun and Kim Shin meant he killed his family as well. Now we know that Kim Sun was Kim Shin's dongsang. So, of course there is going to be affection, and she is going to look up to him, after all, he was well respected. He was a warrior, who fought mightily to protect their country and the throne. But somewhere along the way, the king became jealous of the queen's affection for her brother and that manifested in him making some terrible decisions. We haven't seen that part, all we saw is the demise of those two and then later on when Kim Shin returned, the king was already dead.

Reincarnation, in my opinion (and this is coming from a Christian who is very spiritual), is an opportunity for your soul to be reborn, in another body, at another time. The problem with both Wang Yeo and Kim Shin is that they are stuck in time. On the surface, some people might think that is cool, but it prevents you from really living life and establishing relationships with people. The kind where you all live and grow old together. I love the dichotomy between Reaper and Goblin. One remembers everything and the other remembers nothing. Yet, they are both so tied to one another. I wonder if the reason Kim Shin kept Eun Tak from removing the blade was more because he isn't ready to die, not so much for love but because he feels the need to tie up his own demons. Revenge can only be carried for so long before it can consume you. He has lived a very long time, and like he told Eun Tak, it has given him time to forgive and want to move on with whatever life the gods give him. The reaper can't look at the ring or the picture of his love without crying, which leads me to believe he died full of regret and sorrow. His past life is just as painful as Goblin's. 

I am curious though. If he has been a reaper for 300 years, what happened to him the other 600? He would be just a few years younger than Goblin. They lived around the same time. Also, I was amused when Reaper told Sunny that he was an atheist. Yet, he and Goblin had an entire conversation about whether or not they saw God. I also find it fitting that the god of diety and birth is a woman. Just mulling over these things. Still in love with this drama, and cannot wait until the next two episodes!

• Like 17

i want to know GR age is 300 or 900 or he only remembers his last 300 y  i think if he's the King then his age should be 900 too like KS :sweatingbullets: 

Also i want to know if GR touched KS he would see his past or not coz until now GR didn't touch KS right 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, NRGchick said:

I....clicked that button....

That Dokkaebi doll! What have I done!!! 

Preordered it....

Lol... there is no way for me to order it :tears: i plan to order POIPOT costs 12,000 won. BUT the shipping fee cost is more than the plush price: 19,000 won :dizzy:  really daebak. Lol

• Like 7

@nubianlegalmind @princess nour90 The reason why GR is much younger than the goblin (900 vs. 300) is because when the king died, he wasn't offered the tea. Remember the case number 2: GR didn't give him the cup of tea and the drunk driver was told that he would never forget his wrongdoings and remembering was part of his punishment. The way GR described the driver's  future "life" (his hell) was so emotional that you could feel that GR had experienced it too before getting the tea and become a GR!

By the way, we were told in the last episode that one GR recognised his wife and ran away with her... This little detail is important because this case proves us that GR can disobey, remember their past and try to live again. Maybe GR and Sunny will be put through such a situation. However, this is no real solution.

• Like 20

I am not sure about my choice of fonts so I made two version with/out fonts :sweatingbullets: I just love this scene so much and these lyrics from the Who Are You OST felt like they were written for this couple...So... I love you WangSun :tears:

8GuwWHg.png

7VUkAzH.png

• Like 17

46 minutes ago, valzki said:

Lol... there is no way for me to order it :tears: i plan to order POIPOT costs 12,000 won. BUT the shipping fee cost is more than the plush price: 19,000 won :dizzy:  really daebak. Lol

I want Blackhug ... the doll costs 24000 and S&H will be 25400 ... I have to wait a bit ... already bought my Christmas-present, as you know ... 

I rewatched the last 2 days all 8 episodes .. and I looked really hard, but during the flashback scenes was no read lady or strange granny ... thought that was a pity

Did anyone notice (or is it just me being real slooooow) ... the RedGoddess was the speaker in the TV for the mental health issues ... so funny

• Like 7