[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

just finished watching the episode - again it took a while 

really like that they keep the chicken motif going? i wonder how many ppl order chicken after watching

also saw somewhere that they call SA&HB the chicken couple

ive reached a point where im really enjoying the show and no longer care what others think r about the ratings im satisfied and thats what matters.

since i want to see with subs bf reading comments - ill meet you all tomorrow

fighting 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to give this drama a try because I like fantasy dramas and TvN is known for selecting great shows to air.  This drama started a little slow; however, I do not mind because the plot and characters' backgrounds must be established.  

What I cannot understand is the negative talk against Sin Se-kyeong.  I admit I did not like her in "When a Man Loves"  partly because of her acting and partly because of the character.  However, I have watched her in several dramas since and her acting has greatly improved.  Suppose for the rest of our lives we were judged on one event/situation; how, would we like it?  I believe that all her dissenters would want to be judged on their accomplishments and improvements and not by their shortcomings only.  

So far, I am loving this drama; so lets have fun, enjoy BofWG and remember it is only a drama.  I recognize many names from previous posts and I know that we will have lively discussions, great analysis and insight,about the drama and characters.  That is what I look forward to when I visit a site.  

On 7/11/2017 at 10:30 AM, kaoriharang said:

Actually I have a theory on that, I think that the kiss DID awaken So ah a little bit and that's the reason why she keeps hearing  voices and I think those things are connected to water. Like the flower, plants, leaf, orange, cacturs and humans, it ALL has somewhat water IN THEM. She also said she keeps hearing voices from the water itself, I guess that adds up. So she's not just hearing voices from just anything coz it's all from the water. Maybe she is being punished by the water for not following habaek's order.

What an interesting theory, I like it.  In episode three, I loved the special effects when Ha-Baek went through the window to save So-ah...nice.  Although, Ha-Baek has lost his power, it appears that when he is protecting So-Ah it returns.  If she had any doubts about Ha-Baek's claims to be a god before, she should not have any doubts now.  I cannot wait to see episode 4 tonight.  

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@dramu51ch0c10ve About fate: The high priest explained that fate was a natural phenomenon and we shouldn't forget that Ha Baek mentioned to So Ah that he was nature too (episode 1)! So in the end, fate is in his hands. The more MR tries to separate them, the more the opposite happens. 

Have you noticed that at the beginning of the episode 4, Ha Baek was closing his eyes again, when NSR asked him to turn stones into gold!! So I do think that his powers are connected to his vision and blindness. When he rescued So Ah, he had his eyes open!!

@tintin92 Welcome to this thread, chingu!! I hope, you'll feel comfortable here. 

I am so looking forward for the next episode!! So Ah is in danger because of MR. 

We keep getting the narration from the high priest. Is he watching everything that is going on with Habaek from above?

3 hours ago, Carmarie said:

What an interesting theory, I like it.  In episode three, I loved the special effects when Ha-Baek went the window to save So-ah...nice.  Although, Ha-Baek has lost his power, it appears that when he is protecting So-Ah it returns.  If she had any doubts about Ha-Baek's claims to be a god before, she should not have any doubts now.  I cannot wait to see episode 4 tonight.  

Unfortunately, she is still in doubt..first scene on ep 4 , she kept saying 'It is all dream'. I pity Habaek who has to put up with this slow-witted servant...you can see that he's dying to wriggle her neck off..lol

As for the assailant who tried to kill SoAh, i can think of 2 possibilities.

1. Moora's sidekick - but it's quite impossible because she just known her and couldn't possible instruct SoAh killing on the same day they met.

2. SoAh's psycho patient. The man said something about ' it was because of you'. Maybe one of her patient had some issues with her strong enough to inflict harm on her due to her action or decision during consultation. We know all kind of people meet her for psychiatry problems.

Now  we know Habaek is sensing someone is stalking her and keeping an eye on her so he is on alert mode. It was sweet of him to wait for her on the dark alley. I guess it is one of his duties and blessings as a god and we are going to see more of them later on.

1 hour ago, lovely_skham said:

Ratings for Episode 4

National: 3.5%

Yay!!! We are moving up! Thanks for sharing :)

Source: http://osen.mt.co.kr/article/G1110685796

RBkkxzA8nh3C636354492379696427.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weekly Top 10 Asian Dramas

DEfYt1yVwAEisY7.jpg

e677dd7e-3807-416f-8839-ce6dacb65f6d.jpg

Here comes a big change in DramaFever's exclusive Top 10 rankings of popular dramas. Which new romance comedy has joined the list for the first time? Is your favorite drama among our most popular K-dramas and other Asian dramas? Let's find out!

As predicted last week, the surprise winner this week is new fantasy romance The Bride of the Water God, starring Nam Joo Hyuk as the Water God who fell to the mortal realm but lost his divine powers. The hilarious rom-com has soared into the top 10 to grab the coveted third-place honor.

***skipped unrelated***

Source: https://www.dramafever.com/news/weekly-top-10-asian-dramas---july-11-2017/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=dramafever

If you guys watch the episode 3, the scene for the second meeting when she came to him after he helped her by saving her patience, I notice that  I liked how Habaek mentioned about how he said in the translation : "I don't understand how you could be so foolish and dull - witted when you're not even a bear", it really shows that even Habaek realized how short- sighted and clueless she is. I mean, she is really stubborn with her own thoughts to even care about anything else. I could understand her because she is a realist, and nowadays it's hard to find someone to be depended on, so you kinda have to rely and depend on yourself because it's her life. 

"And today, you have made it clear that your leg is a bit slow"

To me, it looks like he implies how she does not come to him right away.

To me, Habaek seems to be the one who understands her more than she understands herself. Habaek always tries to mention and imply something to her in not such a straightforward way.  I like how Habaek tries to explain something indirectly, while Soo Ah is the type of person who is frank and obvious about her feelings. It feels as if Habaek has known her before but she does not remember it. Now that I am thinking about it, I remember the scene in the first episode how he said that "it's nice to meet you"

Habaek has implied that he has already remembered her by the time they met again on the land. He does not really know her when they met at the park that night. And, I think after he made Nam Soo Ri to pretend him falling sick, that is when he tried to get close to her and tried to find out more about her. That is why he became more aware of her feelings. And when he became aware of her feelings, he learned about the human world through her, such as driving. He learned how she drove and used it as a way to drive, that was why because he finally drove her car when he has not even had a license. Then, through her, he learned how to be compassionate especially when he saw her helping the old man on the street. He learned to be aware of someone's feeling and it could be seen how he was aware of Nam Soo Ri's feeling and how he wanted to get that chicken for him 

In episode 3, he realized what Nam Soo Ri has done for him and be thankful about it, but sadly, Soo Ri does not hear it because he looks at the building that has some gold, lol

I want to clarify that both Habaek and Soo Ah learn through each other without them realizing it. 

What are your thoughts?

EDITED: I think Lim Joo Hwan's character is not human and along with his secretary. because, based on the translation that I read... his secretary said "they say that some people have their own language". I am thinking that both are half god half human thing. you could see the scene on episode 3, when CEO arrived at the hotel after he offered Soo Ah for a help because he saw her having a hard time walking in heels

Yeah for the increase in ratings ! I hope it will get better in future episodes.

I don't really check ratings because when I love a show, I try to stay away from things that might cause me to worry. And man, the way that haters were commenting about this drama having low ratings, I thought it was bad like bellow 1% or something like that. Today when I checked it shows that the lowest one was 2% which is considered good ratings for cable. So, given that people have been negative about this show since it was announced,  then I consider the ratings being good because it shows that those negative comments and reviews from haters are pointless. 

Now back to the episodes. I saw some comments about how the water scene in ep 4 looked fake and that it was cgi. But if you look closely, you can see that they were actually in the water and they hair looks wet especially the part when Habaek joined Soah, he came out from the water and both were wet. Also when you're swimming deep into the water, your hair and clothes tend to look like they are just floating in space away from the body and then fall back when you come out of the water. This also explains how they hair did not look wet. And more important this is a fantasy show and given that Habaek can control water, then everything related to water in this show should be viewed as fantasy.

lastly, I continue to enjoy this show and I pray that the writ and PD and all the casts will continue to do a wonderful job. Ratings are good but a good storyline is more important. So far the teams behind this show have been very supportive in both promoting the show and supporting the casts members especially the two main leads which makes me happy. I will never want to go through the headache that was Introverted Boss and how the teams changed the script due to negative feedback instead of  sticking to they original script. I trust the writer and Pd and the casts.

I love this show and can't wait for Monday. And more shirtless Habaek please!, those abs deserve to be seen in every episode. 

16 hours ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

The high priest mentioned FATE.He also mentioned this in the 1st episode: "How could that possibly happen unless your FATE were twisted?". 'that' the priest meant was him not being king. Do you think that Habaek may not become king because he met So Ah?So Ah was supposed to be dead before Habaek returns to his kingdom.But what if she didn't die?What if both of their fates were twisted because they met each other?Or maybe,Habaek had altered their fates when he saved So Ah whilst she was drowning the 1st time.

Thinking so much about the idea of fate can make one as crazy as So Ah hearing plants.'So Ah hearing plants' is the new level of utmost crazy:blink::lol:

Sorry to cut short your post.. I think FATE is the main theme for this drama, for 3 ep straight, they talk about FATE. i am convinced that there must be something happening with both so ah and ha baek 14 years ago. i seems can't delete the image of so ah old phone in the sea that they show us. it must have some meaning with it. i hope the story will start to tell us little by little of their fate. Curiosity can kills me..hahaha

Talking about 'So ah hearing plant', looks like the orange have serious resentment with how koreans pronounced their name. i don't expect it at all..

I'm still in episode 02 :( but i am fairly enjoying the drama so far despite what others may say. 

I know it's not the best drama out there, or something may be a little off with the script. And the fact it did not quite follow the manga but I still like it and I am sticking to it till the end. I've been reading some negativity in regards of the main actress, but I find her all right. She seems to match with NJH character. 

Also I'm waiting for the day when he acknowledges her as his bride :D instead of a servant.

Really don't understand all the criticism towards SSK. She is doing great and I love watching her act. She is such a dear and candid person. In fact, she is the reason why I checked out this drama in the first place.

Anyhow, about the swimming together scene -- I believe it is through CGI, they are not really under water. They are using wind to blow the hair to create that swimming in water effect. I tell from their eyes as they were opening and shutting them.

Am really enjoying the show after it picks up in ep.3.

Archived