[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aunniek said:
Spoiler

Nice summary!  My thoughts: I think HB was the one that her ancestor was with, but I think the memories he has are fabricated.  I'm not sure what the real story is, but as MR alluded to in the previous episode, she didn't want his memory of being in love with a human to come back.  

I don't really get the jump SA makes from HB forbidding her to sell the land and her just be an insignificant nothing that can be easily left behind.  Thoughts?

I think that So-ha is the woman who was thrown in the lake and that HB fell in love with her, and she did not come back as promised. But, I think it will be discovered that she didn't come back, to save him somehow, and that she made a sacrifice for him. By going back to earth and becoming mortal again, she then renews the promise each time he comes back so that he can be the Universal King.  Or something like that.

I think SA has fallen in love with HB for sure.  Remember when he said "if you fall in love with me there is nothing I can do". She realizes that he lives in an infinite universe and she is but a moment in time, part of a natural cycle that he will fulfill his mission and go on..... he has to go back to the realm he came from. As he said, he is part o of that realm and it is all one.  So, it is not the land specifically, but she sees that the land would be of monetary value to her goals but her needs are subsumed to the god's needs.  She must give way, and then even once he has his powers and can give her money, she will be left alone.

I thought it was her best moment when she described how it was for her living with him. She had a family at last which she longs for and she sees it as once again being broken up. His need to fulfill the universal leaves her alone, like what her father did.  She doesn't want to be left behind She kept asking him in this episode about finding the stones and leaving her.

14 minutes ago, visiopeia said:

Watching ep 6 half way now... 

i think Hu Ye is actually God Joo Dong who took Habaek's god stone.. don't you think so??? 

During the fight between Moora and Biryeom 13 years ago, Joo Dong was with them. We can see his blurred back. But he has disappeared since then while trying to get moora's stone. If he is Joo dong, Habaek must've known him because they were no strangers to each other. Moora and Biryeom talked about 'the guy who said he will kill us all". I''m betting this guy is HY.

1 hour ago, dj.soul said:
  Hide contents

I felt that they easily made her point with panic for a moment, and then I felt like they let it draw out a little too long, and something about it came off as a little goofy to me.  In other words, it distracted me enough that I almost couldn't take her panic seriously in that context.

Hello,

First time posting in this forum.

I watched the episode and felt similarly. The problem in my mind was the acting was not matching the computer-generated imagery (cgi) in that scene. I don't know if it was the directors fault for not blocking the scene properly or if it is because the team might not have much experience filming on location with cgi in post production. It was hard to watch and I felt it could have been edited better. Once the crumbling of the bridge floor cgi began, the credibility of the characters distress was more plausible because of the editing of the subsequent shots in that scene. This is not a story or acting critique more a production note. :wink:

4 minutes ago, desertpanda said:

Hello,

First time posting in this forum.

I watched the episode and felt similarly. The problem in my mind was the acting was not matching the computer-generated imagery (cgi) in that scene. I don't know if it was the directors fault for not blocking the scene properly or if it is because the team might not have much experience filming on location with cgi in post production. It was hard to watch and I felt it could have been edited better. Once the crumbling of the bridge floor cgi began, the credibility of the characters distress was more plausible because of the editing of the subsequent shots in that scene. This is not a story or acting critique more a production note. :wink:

Hi there!  I haven't really been here that long myself, but welcome!!  So I'm watching episode 6 now, and it looks like they improved on the cgi there.  Also, happy that it looks like bits of the source material are poking through here and there. 

Really crossing my fingers for this drama because I love it when actors typically cast in supporting roles get their shot as lead.  NJH is doing a great job so far, I think.  My favorite role for him at the moment was his portrayal of cute Eun Taek in Cheese in the Trap. 

(On a semi-unrelated note: In that same vein, I'm pulling for Ji Soo to get the girl next, hahaha.  He was also great in Scarlet Heart and more recently in Strong Woman Do Bong Soon as well.) 

The story that Habaek told Soah about how her ancestor became God's servant is similar to this story :

Spoiler

THE TALE OF SHIM CHUNG, by Hoarang and the singer Lee Nam Haeng.

There was a girl named “Shim, Chung.” Her father, Mr. Shim, was a blind. Shim Chung was so filial so she always took care of her father. She always made good food for her father, and even earned money instead of her father.

But one day, When Shim Chung went to work, a Buddhist priest came to Mr. Shim.

“Excuse me, is anybody here?” the Buddhist priest said.
“Who are you looking for sir?” Mr. Shim replied.
“I’m a (Buddhist) priest. Can you contribute money for Buddhists? The Buddha will bless you.”
“I’m really sorry but I have no money.”
“Oh, that’s okay…….but you seem like a blind. Aren’t you?”
“Yes, I’m a blind. I can’t see anything.”
“There’s one way to get back your eyesight.”
“What? Is that true? What is it?”
“If you pay me 300 bags of rice, then you will get your eyesight back.”
“Oh! Really? Then can you come after 2 days? I’ll prepare 300 bags of rice for you.”

The priest was lying to get money from Mr.Shim, but he believed the priest and went to the landowner of the town and lent him 300 bags of rice without telling Shim Chung.

After 2 days, the Buddhist came again.

“Hello, Mr. Shim!”
“Here are 300 bags.”
Okay, thank you! And this is the magic water. If you wash your eyes with this for 10 days, then your eyes will be cured!”

Then the Buddhist left. It was a lie. It was just the bottle of normal water. But Mr. Shim believed it, and washed his eyes with that water for 10 days. But after 10 days, he still couldn’t see anything. When he was regretting, the slaves of the “land owner” came and threatened him to pay back the money. Suddenly, Shim Chung came out from her room.

“Is that your daughter?” One of the slaves said.
“I’ll take her to the landowner.”
“No! Please, not Shim Chung!!! I’ll pay back money soon! It won’t take that long!!”
But Shim Chung realized what’s going on and said,
“Father, I will just go. Please take care of yourself!”
"Sorry, my daughter! I'll take money to the landowner soon! Just wait till I bring money and be safe!"

Then Shim Chung and the slaves left. But Mr. Shim Chung couldn’t stop her, because they were going so fast, and because Mr. Shim was a blind so he couldn’t run and stop her.

Later, Shim Chung was sold as a sacrifice. Shim Chung was sacrificed to the Ocean God. The slaves tied her with chain and dropped Shim Chung into the sea called “In-dang-soo.” She was sacrificed because of the storms. At that time, most of fishermen had died during the voyages, because of the storms. And people believed that by sacrificing a girl would stoup the storms and make the Ocean God happy.
So finally, Shim Chung was sacrificed.
3 days later, after Shim Chung was sacrificed, Mr. Shim went to the landowner to get Shim Chung back. When Mr. Shim arrived at the landowner's house, he knocked the door.

"Hello! Is anybody here?"

Then, someone opened the door.

"Who are you?" the person said.
"I'm looking for my daughter, Shim Chung. Can you lead to the landowner." Mr. Shim said.
"Didn't you hear it? Your daughter was sold as a sacrifice."
"What? Is that true?" I can't believe this!"

So Mr. Shim went back his house, and he was so depressed and he became ill. He was almost dying.
While Mr. Shim was ill and was in the sickbed, Shim Chung was in the palace of underwater.
Shim Chung was sleeping and one of nymph was nursing her.
When Shim Chung woke up, she found out a nymph.

"Who are you? Where am I?"
"Relax! It's a Palace of ocean. We are in the Ocean."
"Then How can I breath?"
"Because, it's a special!"
"Can I go back to the upper world?"
"I don't know, let me bring you to the king." (it's like a Korean Poseidon)

So Shim Chung went to the King, and told her story and what happened before she came to the palce of Ocean. After the king listened to her story, he impressed by her filial piety and impressed by her story. So the King put Shim Chung in the big lotus flower and sent her back to the upper world. When the lotus flower was floating around the river. People found out the lotus flower, and brought it to the (Upper world's) king. After the king opened the lotus flower, he found out there was a girl. (It was Shim Chung!) The King fell in love with her and married Shim Chung. So she lived happily.

But after several months, she remebered her father and she was concerned. She wanted to find her father, but she couldn't. While she was in the Ocean world, her father became a beggar and was wandering around the country. So she asked the king to have a party for blinds. Then surprisingly, Mr. Shim came. So they met again! And Shim Chung’s father got back his eyesight when he met his daughter!
So they lived happily!

However, what puzzled me the surname is not SoAh's surname (Yoon). We were also shown a girl (or is it a boy)  and her father pleading for their lives and Habaek with his mother were there. Were these 2 people connected to So Ah? Are the 2 stories (from Habaek's memory and from what he told SoAh) the same story? I'm confused.

2 hours ago, maddymappo said:

EPISODE 6, summary in hidden content

Reveal hidden contents

A little background info is given on So-ah's family promise to serve the gods. We get a flashback and HB tells So-ah that it was because her ancestor who was thrown to die in a river and saved by the gods, betrayed them when she returned to visit her blind parent, but then never returned to the gods. Supposedly she married a king.

So-ah visits her mother's grave so we know now for sure that she is dead. I don't think the visit served much other purpose except to remind us of So-ah's bitter feelings about being abandoned  by her Dad and then orphaned. She exchanges some snide thoughts with her mother about Dad not wanting to come back.

So-ha tells HB she wants to speak to her Dad.   HB now knows the god stones are lost, seeing through Bi Ryum's horror magic show bravado.

HB forbids So-ah from selling her land.   So-ah calls Hoo Yeh who is at his "secret place" which looks like farm. So-ah asks to meet him there. As So-ah walks out onto the hwy  in her usual oblivious dream world, a  truck comes speeding down the HWY. It drives right at and through So-ah but So-ah  just disappears.  No blood smear. HB shouts out after her, but she is gone.   

Wondering if the truck is Hoo Yeh's demigod chariot vehicle that takes So-ah to his special secret place.  But, sorry didn't get to see HB do his magical water lasso rescue in this episode.  I think he should do his magic water rescues in every episode.

I have not watched ep 6 with subs yet, I will get to that soon. But thanks for the background. It seems that the servants and the gods have a complicated relationship.

Really? You mean that place were HY is, is a sacred place? if so it is a bit weird is it not? Why do you need to hit someone? I think we have to wait till next week to get our answer to that part of the show.

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Bride of the Water God 2017" Episode 6

DFEHCb6UIAAYSv4.jpg

Bi-ryeom (played by Gong Myung) is, like Moo-ra, a god living in the human world who is supposed to be doing divine stuff but instead seems to engage mainly in petty bickering. Thus "Bride of the Water God 2017" continues its fine tradition of making Ha-baek a sympathetic character, not by having him engage in character growth, but by making all the other characters he talks to even more obnoxious. I guess it's working. Ha-baek is swiftly becoming the only character in "Bride of the Water God 2017" I particularly care about.

In all fairness this is definitely a balancing act when it comes to the genre. The easiest way to create an obstacle for a superpowered god to fight is by making them face off against another superpowered god. The problem with this is that supervillains are fairly dumb and childish, and we get enough of those in American media anyway. Because really, what can you do with a supervillain in the end aside from just punching it into submission?

But the issue with "Bride of the Water God 2017" right now is that Moo-ra and Bi-ryeom are playing the role of villain when they are not actually villains. They're incompetent, and occasionally accidentally sociopathic. Beyond that, though, their goals aren't that different from Ha-baek's. Indeed, if we want to look at "Bride of the Water God 2017" as more of a travelogue, the logical thing for them to do would be to ask Ha-baek to do something for them rather than get hung up on technical procedures.

Although really, all this narrative analysis is just a disguise for a more brutal critical assessment- that "Bride of the Water God 2017" is surprisingly boring. As inherently stupid as the car scene from last episode was, it did at least manage to stick out in memory as being stupid in an interesting way. This episode is just an extended series of conversations about nothing, none of which seem to move any of its characters closer to an actual goal.

I guess the love story makes progress, if you want to call it that. The problem there, though, is that Ha-baek and So-ah's relationship appears to be defined entirely by how Ha-baek is dragging So-ah into near mortal danger, and So-ah puts up with because she's trying to get something out of him. She's not really sure what. This isn't exactly the basis for a healthy romantic relationship.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-bride-of-the-water-god-2017-episode-6-107998.html

No one should feel like they are attacked when voicing their opinions here. No drama is perfect and it's ok to point out the imperfections. Different people have different opinions due to different personal experiences. And there is not right or wrong experiences. Feel free to share your experiences and opinions. The only thing I would like to ask from everybody here so that there is no awkward or uncomfortable atmosphere going on is that try not to be so emotional when you type your comments. Read through them to see if your tone is appropriate and write as a 3rd person to distance your heightened feelings from your comments. Even if you feel that your comments might offend some people, put them in spoilers and warn others before hand. These are just a few things I think of/would do before I post something that may offend others:grimace: Spread peace and positivity!

6 minutes ago, kaoriharang said:

I have not watched ep 6 with subs yet, I will get to that soon. But thanks for the background. It seems that the servants and the gods have a complicated relationship.

Really? You mean that place were HY is, is a sacred place? if so it is a bit weird is it not? Why do you need to hit someone? I think we have to wait till next week to get our answer to that part of the show.

I dunno, to make it more interesting and exciting I guess. 4010.png?w=150&h=150

38 minutes ago, amisyka77 said:

The story that Habaek told Soah about how her ancestor became God's servant is similar to this story :

Hide contents

THE TALE OF SHIM CHUNG, by Hoarang and the singer Lee Nam Haeng.

There was a girl named “Shim, Chung.” Her father, Mr. Shim, was a blind. Shim Chung was so filial so she always took care of her father. She always made good food for her father, and even earned money instead of her father.

But one day, When Shim Chung went to work, a Buddhist priest came to Mr. Shim.

“Excuse me, is anybody here?” the Buddhist priest said.
“Who are you looking for sir?” Mr. Shim replied.
“I’m a (Buddhist) priest. Can you contribute money for Buddhists? The Buddha will bless you.”
“I’m really sorry but I have no money.”
“Oh, that’s okay…….but you seem like a blind. Aren’t you?”
“Yes, I’m a blind. I can’t see anything.”
“There’s one way to get back your eyesight.”
“What? Is that true? What is it?”
“If you pay me 300 bags of rice, then you will get your eyesight back.”
“Oh! Really? Then can you come after 2 days? I’ll prepare 300 bags of rice for you.”

The priest was lying to get money from Mr.Shim, but he believed the priest and went to the landowner of the town and lent him 300 bags of rice without telling Shim Chung.

After 2 days, the Buddhist came again.

“Hello, Mr. Shim!”
“Here are 300 bags.”
Okay, thank you! And this is the magic water. If you wash your eyes with this for 10 days, then your eyes will be cured!”

Then the Buddhist left. It was a lie. It was just the bottle of normal water. But Mr. Shim believed it, and washed his eyes with that water for 10 days. But after 10 days, he still couldn’t see anything. When he was regretting, the slaves of the “land owner” came and threatened him to pay back the money. Suddenly, Shim Chung came out from her room.

“Is that your daughter?” One of the slaves said.
“I’ll take her to the landowner.”
“No! Please, not Shim Chung!!! I’ll pay back money soon! It won’t take that long!!”
But Shim Chung realized what’s going on and said,
“Father, I will just go. Please take care of yourself!”
"Sorry, my daughter! I'll take money to the landowner soon! Just wait till I bring money and be safe!"

Then Shim Chung and the slaves left. But Mr. Shim Chung couldn’t stop her, because they were going so fast, and because Mr. Shim was a blind so he couldn’t run and stop her.

Later, Shim Chung was sold as a sacrifice. Shim Chung was sacrificed to the Ocean God. The slaves tied her with chain and dropped Shim Chung into the sea called “In-dang-soo.” She was sacrificed because of the storms. At that time, most of fishermen had died during the voyages, because of the storms. And people believed that by sacrificing a girl would stoup the storms and make the Ocean God happy.
So finally, Shim Chung was sacrificed.
3 days later, after Shim Chung was sacrificed, Mr. Shim went to the landowner to get Shim Chung back. When Mr. Shim arrived at the landowner's house, he knocked the door.

"Hello! Is anybody here?"

Then, someone opened the door.

"Who are you?" the person said.
"I'm looking for my daughter, Shim Chung. Can you lead to the landowner." Mr. Shim said.
"Didn't you hear it? Your daughter was sold as a sacrifice."
"What? Is that true?" I can't believe this!"

So Mr. Shim went back his house, and he was so depressed and he became ill. He was almost dying.
While Mr. Shim was ill and was in the sickbed, Shim Chung was in the palace of underwater.
Shim Chung was sleeping and one of nymph was nursing her.
When Shim Chung woke up, she found out a nymph.

"Who are you? Where am I?"
"Relax! It's a Palace of ocean. We are in the Ocean."
"Then How can I breath?"
"Because, it's a special!"
"Can I go back to the upper world?"
"I don't know, let me bring you to the king." (it's like a Korean Poseidon)

So Shim Chung went to the King, and told her story and what happened before she came to the palce of Ocean. After the king listened to her story, he impressed by her filial piety and impressed by her story. So the King put Shim Chung in the big lotus flower and sent her back to the upper world. When the lotus flower was floating around the river. People found out the lotus flower, and brought it to the (Upper world's) king. After the king opened the lotus flower, he found out there was a girl. (It was Shim Chung!) The King fell in love with her and married Shim Chung. So she lived happily.

But after several months, she remebered her father and she was concerned. She wanted to find her father, but she couldn't. While she was in the Ocean world, her father became a beggar and was wandering around the country. So she asked the king to have a party for blinds. Then surprisingly, Mr. Shim came. So they met again! And Shim Chung’s father got back his eyesight when he met his daughter!
So they lived happily!

However, what puzzled me the surname is not SoAh's surname (Yoon). We were also shown a girl (or is it a boy)  and her father pleading for their lives and Habaek with his mother were there. Were these 2 people connected to So Ah? Are the 2 stories (from Habaek's memory and from what he told SoAh) the same story? I'm confused.

I think it is confusing because he did say the surname was Shim. But that makes sense because the daughters get their father' family name.   These myths usually have several versions. I heard one where she sacrifices herself for money to make the offering to the Buddhist Temple and the father gets his sight back. And there is universal healing. I think this drama will have its own unique take on the myth.   I think So-ha doesn't return to the gods because she makes a sacrifice. And pretty sure that HB was in love with her and felt betrayed. We will find out eventually.

[V Report] Gongmyeong promotes ‘The Bride of Habaek’

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20170718

Gongmyeong promoted new drama series “The Bride of Habaek” on Naver’s V app Monday. 

Featured as Bi-ryum in the drama, Gongmyeong is one of the main actors in “The Bride of Habaek.” 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20170718

He explained his character as “a charismatic and powerful god.” He said, “But at the same time, Bi-ryum is a free spirit looking for fun.”

The broadcast was aired live at 10:30 p.m., 30 minutes before the start of the drama. “The show is about to start,” he said. “Are you in front of the TV?”

“Please watch the drama with me, let’s watch it together,” he said. 

The drama, a romantic comedy between a god and human woman, airs on tvN Mondays and Tuesdays.

***skipped unrelated***

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201707181312030220975_2

The stones turned blackish,  instead of colorful with white base and gold at the top.  There is something in god's gateway (Soah's land).   MR and BR fought right outside that land, and those stones ended up inside the land, either scorched or looking like any other rock except for its shape. 

Suddenly thought-- the third godstone-- if not Hooye, then  Shin Jaya or her grandpa has the other one?  HB did mention that he knows a Shin (or Shim?  Is there a Shim in the series? )  that he didn't like.     Hooye wants the land, Jaya is an obnoxious brat,  grandpa Shin is a super-rich penny-pincher.  

The biggest bet, and the default person, is Hooye,  not only because his name is in the manhwa,  but he is most often on screen, is involved with getting SA property,  not to mention the  frequency that he is in contact with or even bumps into SA.   But he seems not to recognize HB,  does he know more than he lets on right now?  Does he know that MR is a goddess?   Is he doing the property purchasing as part of his job as CEO it being a mandate of the board of which his Uncle Shin is Chairman?   Why him personally when it comes to SA----because he knows her,  or does he know her land is super important?    

Jaya's role until now seems to be disconnected with what is going on (HB, SA, MR, BR, SR, godstones, HY, property) .  Like HY she doesn't recognize HB,   but she as schoolmate knows SA's family background.   So, what is she doing in the show if there is no real purpose  except to put everyone down?   I  hope there is some importance to it.  

Pardon all the questions and theories....hopefully these are answered by drama in future eps. 

8 minutes ago, hazeljrr_c922 said:

The stones turned blackish,  instead of colorful with white base and gold at the top.  There is somehing in god's gateway (Soah's land).   MR and BR fought right outside that land, and those stones ended up inside the land, either scorched or looking like any other rock except for its shape.  Punishment for them, or else the stones actually went back to the Realm.    Suddenly thought-- the third godstone-- if not Hooye, then  Shin Jaya or her grandpa has the other one?  HB did mention that he knows a Shin that he didn't like.  

Hooye wants the land, Jaya is an obnoxious brat,  grandpa Shin is a super-rich penny-pincher.  The biggest bet is Hooye as he is most often on screen, and is involved with getting the property and the frequency that he is in contact with or even bumps into SA.   But he seems not to recognize HB,  does he know more than he lets on right now?  Does he know that MR is a goddess?  

Jaya's role until now seems to be disconnected with what is going on (HB, SA, MR, BR, SR, godstones, HY, property) .  Like HY she doesn't recognize HB,   but she as classmate knows SA's family background.   So, what is she doing in the show if there is no real purpose except put everyone down except grandpa?  I  hope there is some importance to it.  

According to the mahnwa story, a rich man's daughter is supposed to be the sacrifice to the river god, but he has the influence to get out of it, and instead, a poor girl is sacrificed. But, HB falls in love with the sacrifice and the rich girl then gets jealous and feels she should have the god's love.  So maybe Shin Jaya's family goes back to the time of the original sacrifice or there is some other connection with Soha's family line.

Hi chingus!  :D

Love the varied opinion here. Keeps us objective when watching the drama though I guess some come to this thread to fangirl over the show while others just  watch the show as it is..and that's where some misunderstandings incur. But I'm glad everyone agreed to disagree. ^_^

Now, noting the last scene and So Ah's lines, is it just me and the subs or was it a sort of confession from her part? 

"I knew it was a matter of time until you disappear back to your world. I knew it would happen..but I liked being so happy even if it was temporary.."

*me sobs..huhu. I want to hug her 

Archived