[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

13 hours ago, nevill said:

Bride of the Water God Episodes 1 & 2 Review: A bump on the road to supreme godhood

by CiCi Kdrama (drama fever)

The setup: Arrogant water god is sent to earth to obtain the stones that will enable him to become the supreme emperor of the gods. The reality: He arrives without the coordinates, powers, or clothes he needs, and must rely on the help of lowly humans to succeed. Sounds like a recipe for a good time, right? Join Taleena, Amy, and me, Cici, as we discuss the first episodes of Bride of the Water God.

to read more:

https://www.dramafever.com/news/bride-of-the-water-god-episodes-1--2-review-a-bump-on-the-road-to-supreme-godhood/

I read this discussion but it irked me that they actually didn't really understand the essence of the show. One even felt pissed off with SoAh for not helping the dying plant. For God's sake, she herself didn't even know wth is she hearing so how in the world would she react to it. She will freak out big time later when she knew what is happening to her.

Anyway, I agree that SoAh is a bit disconnected with her patient esp that ma bong yeol. Her nurse keeps telling her she is some sort of magnet to problematic people but it seems that she is trying to deny it. I think one of SoAh character development would be her accepting the ability and using it fully to help others in need. Habaek would be her first recipient and at the same moment receives the help she needs from him. I think we are going to see some interesting 'growing-up' processes from both of them.

15 hours ago, nevill said:

well up till the kiss with the fallen gos he didnt have the same bodily function as us so he probably didnt sweat. but now, he will start to sweat poor thing, he will probably want to take off his clothes a lot

i wonder why he said that HB is in real trouble now? bc of him or the other gods?

I think the beggar god kissed Habaek to confirm that he is now powerless.

Being powerless of course means trouble to Habaek because he is now in the human world and it doesn't help that he is completely hasn't a clue how to conduct himself. For example, him telling everyone he is water god, king to be blablabla is a big NO because human will think him as crazy and he is supposed to hide his identity from human and stay low so as not to attract any notice from other immortal enemies that might take opportunity on him being away from the protection of his home (Water Country). That fallen god must be busy telling every fallen gods living on earth that Habaek is there hopeless and powerless and this is bad news to him as some opportunist from Sky or Earth Countries might do something to him as he is now the heir to the king's position. This fact makes me think why Habaek never descended to the human world before. I thought he can freely roam everywhere. Even Namsoori as a semi-god had been to human realm. What is Habaek doing all this time ?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man the discussions posted by dramafever on ep 1 and 2 is really misleading and those who have not seen the episodes will think that they were bad just by reading those discussions. 

I agree that So ah so far as not been the best doctor to her patients and even she herself acknowledge that. And I like that she's not perfect from the start which will make both her growth and Habaek's more compelling. 

But I disagree about people criticizing her for not helping the plant, for not jumping into the water to save her patient, and also for refusing help from the CEO.

Any sane person would react to her suddenly hearing plants and people's thoughts the way she did. I mean I thought it was weird too. Secondly,  the girl had phobia of large body of water which I think they missed that part when the watched ep 2 and those they did not understand her struggles wit the whole saving patient from the water. And third,  So ah need money but she does not want to be further indebted to more people especially when it comes to money. And you don't just accepted something like that from strangers without knowing or having any idea what they are up too.

And as for Habaek, he was a narcissist even in his water country  the people there. So, I don't get why viewers would expect him to suddenly be nice to people on earth whom he just meet and don't even know. 

9 hours ago, nevill said:

ah, i thought he is only doing a cameo, i guess not

does anyone knows what happened to the ring? also SA mentioned the name Ah Bin? since the name was mentioned i think her ex will appear again, maybe KHN?

Wow KHN must be rich to give her that huge diamond ring. I didn't catch the name when I was watching. Can't wait for his cameo! But there's totally no news about his role 

3 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

Being powerless of course means trouble to Habaek because he is now in the human world and it doesn't help that he is completely hasn't a clue how to conduct himself. For example, him telling everyone he is water god, king to be blablabla is a big NO because human will think him as crazy and he is supposed to hide his identity from human and stay low so as not to attract any notice from other immortal enemies that might take opportunity on him being away from the protection of his home (Water Country). That fallen god must be busy telling every fallen gods living on earth that Habaek is there hopeless and powerless and this is bad news to him as some opportunist from Sky or Earth Countries might do something to him as he is now the heir to the king's position. This fact makes me think why Habaek never descended to the human world before. I thought he can freely roam everywhere. Even Namsoori as a semi-god had been to human realm. What is Habaek doing all this time ?

I was thinking the same thing. Habaek will be vulnerable to certain attacks of other supernatural beings who might have had a grudge against him in the Water Kingdom (vanish or exile in the human world) because he doesn't have his powers. I wonder if Soah who is gaining certain abilities, will be the one to protect him when that time comes? that would be quite an interesting reversal, for the all-mighty Habaek. 

4 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

I read this discussion but it irked me that they actually didn't really understand the essence of the show. One even felt pissed off with SoAh for not helping the dying plant. For God's sake, she herself didn't even know wth is she hearing so how in the world would she react to it. She will freak out big time later when she knew what is happening to her

actually ive read in a lot of places that ppl dont understand the character or cant follow the plot and it surprised me, is it such a confusing and hard to follow plot unfolding?  it looks pretty easy and i think its great that not everything is told you are left to speculate, this is the point, if not why need to watch the whole drama? 

AND i just love that SA isnt the selfless, think first of other kind of heroin, which is unrealistic and always feel fake to me. especially in this day and age, and how we are brought up.

also why is t ok for a god to be selfish and not a psychiatrist? both of them are supposed to think and act for others, this is the point of the drama, making both of them care.

and not to insult the other converse places, but i have always felt that the soopmi forum had a lot more ppl with hindsight and knowledge and the discussion is mostly about the plot and not pettiness.  

4 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

i think he made HB human or feel human needs. bf while NSR was hungry HB was not. only after the kiss, as NSR himself pointed out in the subway. and i feel that kissing is somehow a way to transfer "information" as @triplem pointed out, which are thier abilities 

Spoiler

which is very interesting. birds recognize their mother saliva, so if you raise a bird you feed her you saliva and they will seek you out always.

to HB telling ppl he is king, is to explain to them. he is unaware that humans do not believe or accept him. or that someone else would dare to "impersonate" him and call himself king. for HB it is how he introduce himself bc he thinks that by that ppl realize what he is and act accordingly. he lives with archaic notions of a time when ppl believed and respected the "gods" "kings" and "emperors" . but he is now in a democratic modern country instead. 

Writing first time here other than posting pics/gifs..When I watched the scene where So ah jumps into water during 2018 triggered something in my mind and just sharing them here...

tumblr_ost8mubImX1vqlkb3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ost8mubImX1vqlkb3o2_1280.jpg

So before jumping she held a white chrysanthemum flower which for Koreans is symbolized to  grave or death.So my guess is that she was throwing that not for her father but for HB. Probably after conquering the stones he had to return before the seventh red tide so he goes into the water kingdom..by jumping into water so that So Ah forgets about him and continues her life..Then she jumps to water because having lost both loved ones in water she jumps more like even let her die in the same way her loved ones died.(or so she assumes in HB's CASE. Just a theory not a full fledged one.cute2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862498

(please don't kill me for my assumption).crying2-onion-head-emoticon.gif?12928624

@athena22 tumblr_ost8mubImX1vqlkb3o2_1280.jpg

In your picture, the viewer can observe two things:

- the chrysanthemum as a symbol for paying attention to the deceased, hence the flower is an allusion to death

- the colour of her coat! It is such a bright red. 

Why red? If she wants to kill herself, why did she choose to wear such a coat? Since red resembles blood, it is connected to life. Sure, red is also related to violence and death. However, the red is here so vivid hence it gave me another impression. In Asia, red is the colour of the bride hence her jump could have a different meaning. She is leaving the human world (ending her life and going to the Water God Kingdom as his bride). habaek1-00084.jpg

Then if you look carefully after her jump, she shows no struggle at all. She even looks more peaceful. Moreover, her jump indicates that she has overcome of her water phobia! That's why I believe that we shouldn't consider the jump from the bridge in 2018 as something negative. Sure, the words from the High priest were indicating something else. However I see these as a red herring in the end: our OTP will get together. Her jump from the bridge in 2018 has a different goal and meaning than the first one.  

By the way, something else caught my attention: her wish to live on Vanuata. Her dream is to live on an island alone. BOTWG episode Vanuata.png  We shouldn't forget that So Ah is actually suffering from water phobia hence her dream sounds weird. Then the dream she imagines is that she is all by herself, there is no one around her. As conclusion, her dream is just an illusion, she is actually expressing her biggest wish: to cut ties with the world and people in general. I also interpret her dream as a way for her to make sure that she won't get close to people, as an island symbolises solitude and insulation. Moreover she is surrounded by water, so that she can not get close to water. So by living on an island, she makes sure that she is alone and she won't change her mind as she can not get close to the water. She ensures that she won't be tempted to get close to people too. The sea serves as a wall and border between her life and others. She is determined to seclude herself.

Finally, I would like to come back to my analysis about the blindness of our protagonists. I find it very telling that during the first kiss, So Ah closed her eyes, while Ha Baek did the opposite. Observe that in the first two episodes, Ha Baek is often shown with closed eyes (see this scene 

Spoiler

habaek1-00113.jpg

or while he is using his powers) indicating his blindness, while So Ah's blindness is often revealed in that way. She has her eyes open but she can not see (like for example this scene 

Spoiler

habaek1-00228.jpg

or the scene with the GPS, where she refuses to use her own sight to go back to Seoul). But during the kiss, they do the exact opposite of what they are used to do: he has his eyes open, hers are closed. So their reactions illustrate their awakening, both start to see and feel things differently. 

@supergal99@dramu51ch0c10ve @Chellsee @amisyka77@tintin92 @nonski @athena22 @triplem@USAFarmgirl@Visually-wandering @nevill @i.am.bugz.funny

1 hour ago, athena22 said:

Probably after conquering the stones he had to return before the seventh red tide so he goes into the water kingdom..by jumping into water so that So Ah forgets about him and continues her life..Then she jumps to water because having lost both loved ones in water she jumps more like even let her die in the same way her loved ones died.(or so she assumes in HB's CASE. Just a theory not a full fledged one.

1. seventh red tide - what does it mean?

2. loed your theory and it does makes sense, since SA is supposed to forget after HB returns. and NSR said bf that the human servants are supposed to forget afterwards

45 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Sure, red is also related to violence and death. However, the red is here so vivid hence it gave me another impression. In Asia, red is the colour of the bride hence her jump could have a different meaning. She is leaving the human world (ending her life and going to the Water God Kingdom as his bride).

i didnt know red was the bride dress color, thats why the in the manwha the bride is in red. and i accept both theory. for me right now it can go iether way.

forgetting or joining HB

i dont think her dream is an illusion, but i agree on the isolation part  i think she had enough of humans, again the contradiction of her profession and her personal preferences. she is very  tired of ppl of patients. that all she wishes for is a deserted island.  

in the question who you take to deserted island SA would say just herself and no one else.

again, like your eye hindsights

‘Bride of the Water God’ to Always Show the Unexpected Skin Ship Between Shin Se Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk

by Tri (castko)

‘Bride of Water God 2017’, the ending of episode 1 is adorned with the kiss of Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung, while episode 2 attracts the viewers with a thrilling hug.

tvN’s new drama ‘Bride of Water God 2017’ is a fantasy drama depicting the romance of the water deity Habaek (Nam Joo Hyuk) who descends to earth with Yoon So Ah (Shin Se Kyung) a psychiatrist destined to become a God slave. An important point set in a fun and funny way has become something refreshing and appealing to the viewers in its first episode.

i-e1499402666357.jpg

Last week a sudden kiss scene of So Ah and Habaek became a hot topic on online boards and made viewers feel happy. Especially in episode 2, So Ah had a trauma with water and Habaek helped her with it, then they hugged and cried. Both of the characters have grabbed the attention of the viewers.

to read more:

http://my.castko.com/archives/15405

@nevill You misunderstood me, when I wrote that it is an illusion. With this expression, I meant that this can never become real because

- she is afraid of water

- even on Vanuata, people are living there. 

Yet, her dream showed us that So Ah lived on a island with just a chair and a drink. Her dream is just an illusion because it doesn't correspond to reality. 

2 hours ago, athena22 said:

Writing first time here other than posting pics/gifs..When I watched the scene where So ah jumps into water during 2018 triggered something in my mind and just sharing them here...

@athena22 @bebebisous33 @nevill and to all...

I love the back ground song of this part. Anybody knows the title and singer please?

Thank you so much in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of my fave scene/part... So Ah has a big heart! :wub:

tumblr_oskn6hY23V1rfb3mdo5_500.gif

tumblr_oskn6hY23V1rfb3mdo7_500.gif

tumblr_oskn6hY23V1rfb3mdo8_500.gif

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

I meant that this can never become real because

agree agree

@summer2017 hope they wont keep us waiting to long.

BTW saw a new relationship pic and there the arrows go a bit different, i think, than the one weve seen bf.

dont remember where, ill try find it

@Chellsee i watched it and sorry dont recognize it

Archived