[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, Berou said:

the idea of YSH presenting awards didn't cross my mind, he did it in the past, one or twice. ruler is definitely MBC'secret weapon, so it will be the talk of the show. MBC will try to promote it as much as it can, it's been years that MBC didn't get a hit drama. Ruler is their golden weapon

oh, i haven't watched shine or go crazy but i've watched his other works: personal taste and two weeks. i loved and stil love two weeks, its one of my favorite LJK's dramas meaning that i can rewatch again and again and i wouldn't get tired.  his directing style was good, no major problem. maybe Shine or go crazy was his first sageuk and that's why the directing seem questionable. even experienced writers, directors and actors struggle with sageuk: different tone, different speech, different cameras angles, different directing etc. sageuk are harder to film. let's hope he will improve his directing this time

regarding costume, it isn't the fault of the director but the fault of the costume team. again let's hope it's a different costume team and they will be dressed appropriately.

@Berou  i try to be careful in commenting, in case there are fans here of Shine or Personal Taste. first foremost, i don't immediately approve a show just because the male/ female lead i liked is in it... Son Yejin was in Personal Taste. but somewhat i don't really liked her character been portrayed in it... liked her so much so i found it's like she is 'wasted' in that role in Personal taste as a more shallow female character there (i don't fight for strong or self-independent or sassy female roles). But 'personal taste' and Shine were 'OUT' for me.  while Two Weeks was fine, at least Lee Junki is not written as some superhero and super mask-hunk, but some down-to-earth guy, and a not so glam-father even. 

MBC used to be the King Station in producing Sageuk, , so let's hope they return back to their past glory. they can bring a diff director, away from the manhwa sweet Moonlight style, away from the Shine's exaggerating comical style (btw, Shine keep reminding me of Taiwan's or China's production. don't know why), and they can shy away from Hwarang's Flower boys style. ... just do it straight historical way, like all their favourite past glories as in Lee San Wind of the Palace, Dae Jang Geum, Dong Yi.... etc. do it honestly sincerely solemnly grandly, as how Sado's saga should be handled.

Director / Producer does has certain says in allowing and deciding certain sense the costumes direction. agreed that i hope also its a complete diff costume team,

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Zaileigh said:

We think the same way on this. I've been thinking why there's no news for this yet. The quite the drama will be, the more it will uproar. Cause supporters and fans will get curious and will find its way to sneak peek. Well, lets just wait and see the outcome. So excited for Dec.26. Hopefully there will be a BTS photos on that day. :blush:

@Zaileigh SBS already throwing out Saimdang as their station's next week's Secret weapon, they returned to highland in SBS channel in full blust. so MBC has to come out something to counter that. next week will be another year of major saeguk's fighting. i saw Hwarang last week on my cable for fun as i googled my Goblin (am hooked on Goblin right now).
haha. even if they throw out Hwarang together at same time as Ruler, i have very little worries. and really wish Ruler don't go Hwarang's direction. its totally a Kpop-flower-boys-showtime. Go Ara is better in Joseon Magician though.

maybe the MBC award show will be the grand-introduction of Ruler? am quite sure, at least YSH may be present there, even if not presenting. don't know who are chosen to present. is the list out? or who is hosting?

Hi everyone! sorry for being so MIA, I have a lot going on so I probably won't be posting as often as I would like. it's good to hear that we're finally getting an actual schedule. They probably did have the script reading when they went to eat together. I know we are getting announcement of some smaller supporting casts, but I wonder if there will be anymore.

It's good to hear that they'll film for that long, I hope that means the quality of the drama and the well being of the cast and production team will be considered. 

@quockhanh45 I would love to see them that soon but I feel like they would air the King Loves before Ruler...they've already started filming the child parts of the king loves and they seem to be ahead in terms of schedule. Im assuming MISSING 9 is 16 episodes? if thats the case then it will finish airing at the end of february. And if Ruler is pre-produced and if they're scheduled to film for 4-5 months, it means that they won't air it until summer. Unless they're not making the drama as pre-produced...

also KSH will be on running man for their Christmas special... I thought that it was to promote ruler but I realized that it's totally different broadcasting company and she hasn't even started filming. So it might be for Goblin instead. I might be wrong but when actors go on running man it's usually always to promote their work.

Mon - Tues: Night Light 24 Jan -> Rebel (30 epi): 9 May <KBS Perfect Wife> <SBS Defendant>

Wed - Thur: Weighlifting 5 Jan -> Missing 9: 2 March <KBS Chef Kim> <SBS Saimdang>

so Ruler might come after Rebel, king lovers after missing 9. Thats a lot of sageuk in short time. 

1 hour ago, Chi Le said:

Mon - Tues: Night Light 24 Jan -> Rebel (30 epi): 9 May <KBS Perfect Wife> <SBS Defendant>

Wed - Thur: Weighlifting 5 Jan -> Missing 9: 2 March <KBS Chef Kim> <SBS Saimdang>

so Ruler might come after Rebel, king lovers after missing 9. Thats a lot of sageuk in short time. 

So Ruler will fight against My Sassy Girl?

1 hour ago, Berou said:

woaoww !!! #makes a happy dance# everything i wish for lately, comes true. i should wish more often now; i knew it !! it's a beautiful christmas gift :)

i'm going to watch the MBC drama awards live even though i'm busy with my midterms... how long does it last? i hope not 4 hours or something :sweatingbullets:

so, it means YSH won't be attending the SBS drama awards for remember, it is on the very same night right? 

Nope, SBS is on the same day as KBS, the ceremony is held on the very last day of the year. I hope YSH will attend and win big at SBS. I also wish Kim So Hyun win something for her short drama Page Turner at KBS. Maybe the same awards she won in 2014, Best Actress in Special Drama.

41 minutes ago, lilac95 said:

Nope, SBS is on the same day as KBS, the ceremony is held on the very last day of the year. I hope YSH will attend and win big at SBS. I also wish Kim So Hyun win something for her short drama Page Turner at KBS. Maybe the same awards she won in 2014, Best Actress in Special Drama.

Is Page Turner is a special drama? I don't think so. It's just a short drama, if it's special drama, teaser and logo will inculed 'Drama Special'

54 minutes ago, lilac95 said:

@lilac95 I'm with you on this!!! Oh my! I'm so happy for both of them and for us!! We will be able to see them. Thanks dramagods! :)

Also, I'd like to see KSH present the new actor/actress award in KBS with Yeo Jingoo (they won the award last yr) :)

17 minutes ago, quockhanh45 said:

Is Page Turner is a special drama? I don't think so. It's just a short drama, if it's special drama, teaser and logo will inculed 'Drama Special'

I'm pretty sure it is. It's a 3-episode drama special :)

21 hours ago, an05 said:

omg guys KSH and YSH will attend MBC drama awards together! I wasn't expecting that since the drama won't air until like months from now on... I guess it shows how much people are looking forward to their pairing. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0000934656

Woah, this is the greatest news i've heard all day :tears: I'm so excited to watch the drama awards, too bad MBC do not English subbed their awards show or interviews in their youtube channel,  unlike with KBS, oh well, better find another way to watch this.. :cold_sweat:

If ever some of us are unable to watch, hopefully anyone with a good a heart kindly post screenshots please :)

I have been wishing for days to see a photo of So Hyun and Seung Ho together, but now not only I get to see them together, they are in suit and beautiful dress to attend a drama award as presenter?? I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT! MBC I'm so grateful for this! 30th Dec I can't wait for you!

You guys made me a little nervous about our PD. Is there any positive thing about him? at least our writer is rookie so we have to wait and see.

@BerouI think there is some misunderstanding about filming period. It will start in 26 Dec and finish around April/May, not 5th April because 3 months is way too short to shoot a sageuk drama. 

50 minutes ago, akausagi said:

Woah, this is the greatest news i've heard all day :tears: I'm so excited to watch the drama awards, too bad MBC do not English subbed their awards show or interviews in their youtube channel,  unlike with KBS, oh well, better find another way to watch this.. :cold_sweat:

If ever some of us are unable to watch, hopefully anyone with a good a heart kindly post screenshots please :)

Don't worry there are a lot of fans ready to screenshot every second they are on screen together. And there are some dedicated fans and fanpages of these two actors that will sub their vids (interviews, red carpet, award present) very quick so don't worry.

4 hours ago, lilac95 said:

I hope to see Kim So Hyun at KBS drama award too and if she attend, then I'm sure she will win for her appearance on "Page Tuner"

However, my inner sense is telling me that So Hyun won't attend it due to busy filming schedule. Lets wait and see ^^

2016122209411620307_1_99_20161222095408.

Another casting news, Shin Hyun Soo joins Ruler. His role is a warrior. And they will have script reading tmr, 23/12. He also acted with YSH in Remember before, but if anyone wants to check out his acting, I recommend Age of Youth, that drama is so good and I like his character there. 

Cr: Naver

Hi, dear all. just overnight and this page turned HOT and entered into Soompi forum's "Hot Topic' section, yes, for a upcoming drama which has not churned out any bts or script writings pics of OTP, this thread is REALLY MOVING FAST AND HOT.
hope YSH can read English and can see the feverish responses to his upcoming feat.

not to worry about the mountain heap of sageuk-dramas fighting Our Ruler Prince next week. i did this breakdown few weeks or month ago; i will repeat this here:

1. Hwarang. (strength: flower-boys parade) -

Spoiler

Hwarang is pretty with lots of pretty boys. at least up to ep2, i don't think it can be taken seriously like the usual MBC manner of heavy weigh Sageuk. at least i don't like the comical ways, Go Ara was shown, i preferred her in "J.M." with YSH. so Hwarang aired right now will be over when Ruler air, it wont be a thread also to Ruler's rating.

2. Saimdang light's Diary. (strength: everybody knows what is this drama's strength!) 3 reasons to watch this. 1. Lee Young-ae 2. Lee Youngae. 3. still, Lee Young Ae. (different audience, not to worry affect Ruler's rating)

3. Rebel Hong Gil Dong. (strength: good Once-solid supporting casts now turning Main-Leads, holding the reins.)
4. The King Loves. (strength: Kpop-fans delights)

Spoiler

for King Loves. which will aired before our Ruler. (correct?) i have no comment. recently i have gotten into some big issues, hahah. for commenting on Kpop Idols. so, no comments this time for this drama. because it is literally a Kpop Idols' drama! "Pretty-Young-Famous" being the strength. this dramas will sure draw lots of Girl-Generation/ZE:A- fans, since both of them are the better ones among the existing kpop idols, maybe even much more than our Ruler. yet again, its totally diff group of fan-based, as ours are the fans who looks for solid acting.

4. Sassy Girl. (strength: 3 reasons; Joon Won, Joon won, Joon won. Joon Won has massive amazon-fans. hahah. in term of challenges, but if they go 'Hwarang' or 'Shine or be Crazy' style... to show the Sassy princess making all kinds of jokes and comical scenes... but it will be a complete diff takes from Ruler.)

Ruler Master of the Mask. (strength: Youth is not an excuse finally for snubbing talents, when it comes to the Gems of Child-Actors turned Adult actors, the Best 2 of the list. OTP themselves are even better than many adult-wooden-actors/actresses. OTP chemistry should be the strength, as everyone wants them to be paired for ages.) its inevitable that fans will 'compare apple with orange' , just like the way 'Moonlight-DBC' compared to 'Moonlovers SHR'... but Ruler is so so so much diff than the above other 4 saeguks . i dare say, in quality maybe only Lee YoungAe is fitting to be compare to Ruler. the other are mostly "Pretty-Young-Hot-Famous" stars .

So, we can sit tight and wait for Ruler to shine. Ruler need not follow the flow, just let Sado be Sado, and YSH is the 'Best Sado' we can ever see to date.
MBC award, i might be doing some LIVE recap. but i don't know how to do the screen shots stuff. YSH may not be at SBS award? someone please verify this?

6 hours ago, lilac95 said:

Another casting news, Shin Hyun Soo joins Ruler. His role is a warrior. And they will have script reading tmr, 23/12. He also acted with YSH in Remember before, but if anyone wants to check out his acting, I recommend Age of Youth, that drama is so good and I like his character there. 

Cr: Naver

@lilac95 shin hyun soo is the rich friend of Nam Gyeman, who is basically useless and coward, and turned his back on NGM the villain, when NGM deserted him. playing a minor role in Remember, oh, he's playing warrior? he has the height,

remember1400653.jpg
am still very sour over Remember War of Son, not been recognised as it should be. since YSH poured in his sweat and tears into the role, its surely one of YSH's Best portrayal. saddened with those who choose to highlight the BIG stars productions this year and forget our 'Son'.

Archived