[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

@maryofbethany I have seen the reaction on dramabeans and soompi, it's like just 1 % or below of the drama community who reacted against it, KSH has been through with this actually, when he was paired with taecyeon, and that was more "scandalous" (if that is the right word) than this, i also read the reaction and acceptance about the ruler pairing compared to Moonlight (well, according to moonlight fans arguing on the thread, whether why is there no violent reaction against the kissing scene between T and KSH in compared to KYJ and PBG, which is a smaller age difference), people have been anticipating this drama due to them, and KSH will be 18 next year (19 in korean), so i don't think they will have problems if ever YSH and KSH will have a really really good relationship between them :wub: Besides this adorable people are so likable, I don't think this will cause any problem, also a lot people have always wanted them to be paired. (BTW, i have nothing against Moonlight, i had also watched that show, i'm just referring to comments and reaction I had read)

ON THE SIDE NOTE: i don't understand why people now, are starting to be really conservative about this age gap thing, when from what I remember correctly, this type of pairing has been done a lot a long time ago.

example: Suzy and Kim soo Hyun in dream high and Park shin hye and Lee wan in Tree of Heaven

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Zaileigh said:

Any updates from Ruler? When exactly will be the script reading and filming begins? Been searching thoroughly but haven't found any.  :bawling:

@Zaileigh haha. i was anticipating you will jump onboard. i know when it air you will. no much news. except the supporting casts revealed. some said script reading in process. don't know. welcome here. worry this will be like Saimdang light diary... drag on and on... for its release date. but one thing i know, since its preproduced, the quality will be there, since it will not be affected by anti-fans or Knetizens.

10 hours ago, Berou said:

@maryofbethany i'll try to be brief as possible as i  can ( got not enough time in my hands). i'm glad that after thinking for a while you understand why i said i want them to be friends rather than " more than friends" :)

first of all, it will be already a big step if YSH saves her phone number and contacts her after the drama because i believe he hasn't been close with his female co-stars.

i have no doubts KSh is a mature young lady, even more mature than some who are in their 20's. both of them have been child actors and transitioning to adult actors, so they haven't settled yet. so it will be to soon for them to be broiled in some sort of dating scandal. it can damage a little bit their career

even  though a lot would be excited and clap if they hear these two are dating, they will be bashed by many. Many may call YSh " pedo" etc. so yeah, that's why i've said the age of her is a big factor.  even some people on dramabeans protested about the age difference when the news were first released....so imagine their reactions if they happen to know they are more than friends and may nuture some feelings for each other.

lastly, i hope this would not be the only drama that pairs them. I hope in the future, maybe 5/6 years, we can see them again. KSH would play a more mature/ daring role and YSH, hopefully, would be more confident in himself. by then, they would both been grown up and settled.

@Berou  actually, i read one or two anti fans were saying that GongYoo's character been pedo, and like 'ahjussi lusting after school girls"... goodness. i also don't want people to say YSH is pedo also. hahaha. i remembered many were always chiding when the actresses age is older, as in Hello Monster, Remember... etc. But when the Age-gap shown in Goblin, lots of dramabeans fans were not pleased. so i think the age 17 matters will be there, i was reading Dramabeans for the past 3 nights. you see, i was originated from Dramabeans, before i wander here and set root here. hearing them said that, felt a little sad. because some of them who dislike the high-school character involved into romance, were actually not out of anti-fans of the actress Kim GoEun. but it just asian-thinking that high-schooler should NOT be involved. and anyone romancing them is guilty of taking advantages. Again, must clarify Soompi has much lesser backslash, than dramabean-fans' displeasure over minor's age.

8 hours ago, rossy5 said:

@maryofbethany That's why he (YSH) is going to be a Gilbert....all he would do is "staring at her longingly" because the age gap, primarily. And KSH is going to be very naive to think he'll do that due to his seriousness.

About the double standard...it exist. I do not care if the fandom always pair KYJ with YJG or PBG...those guys can be her boyfriends I do not care...but work is work. ACTING! In the case of YSH he can't fool me...he already was in mode "staring at her longingly" at KSH since 2012.

@rossy5 haha. wanted to say that when i read your post last night about Anne of Green Gables. haha. that's was one of my favourite literature, just second to Jane Austen's works. but i guess, YSH is more of the controlled coolness, than of the high spirit cheerfulness sassy characer of fiery haired Anne (with fiery characters and super interesting imaginations). but i also hope their relationship will blossomed in years to come. i rooted for Gilbert right from the beginning he teased her about her hair and started the saga of 'bickering and fighting" haha. i guess the bickering and fighting will not be found between YSH and anyone in public. hahah. he is far too reserved for bickering with girls in public... hopefully. like i said earlier on, he will in private, enjoy some ranting and bickering in a good-friend relationship with a girl. bickering is real fun, like those of Anne And Gilbert, isn't it? always loved friendship that transform into love, that kind of storyline.
oh, hahah. i sort of envision him as an aloof Darcy too. (anyone?) hope they have some storyline like Pride and Prejudice, and have him playing Darcy of KDrama in coming years.

8 hours ago, akausagi said:

@maryofbethany I have seen the reaction on dramabeans and soompi, it's like just 1 % or below of the drama community who reacted against it, KSH has been through with this actually, when he was paired with taecyeon, and that was more "scandalous" (if that is the right word) than this, i also read the reaction and acceptance about the ruler pairing compared to Moonlight (well, according to moonlight fans arguing on the thread, whether why is there no violent reaction against the kissing scene between T and KSH in compared to KYJ and PBG, which is a smaller age difference), people have been anticipating this drama due to them, and KSH will be 18 next year (19 in korean), so i don't think they will have problems if ever YSH and KSH will have a really really good relationship between them :wub: Besides this adorable people are so likable, I don't think this will cause any problem, also a lot people have always wanted them to be paired. (BTW, i have nothing against Moonlight, i had also watched that show, i'm just referring to comments and reaction I had read)

ON THE SIDE NOTE: i don't understand why people now, are starting to be really conservative about this age gap thing, when from what I remember correctly, this type of pairing has been done a lot a long time ago.

example: Suzy and Kim soo Hyun in dream high and Park shin hye and Lee wan in Tree of Heaven

@akausagi yes, but that " just 1 % or below of the drama community " happened to be most vocal, and swaying. its not about number of people some times, its about how persuasive that few minority can be, and they will start bitting non stop on an issue that catch fire, and lead to more people talking. liked yourself, i also think there are more people rooting for the pairing of Ruler, than against. and even a growing number rooting for the real actor/actress.

the recent fuss in Goblin has me think twice about cheering for YSH/KSH in real life pairing Now (at this time frame). like you said, add to your two dramas, we have those Reply series, rely 88, reply 78... etc. also Monstar... etc. and Kim Sohyun herself acted in this very wonderful Who Are You: School 2015 .
all female leads are high-school or at least are still schooling. but maybe the Goblin saga going gugu-gaga is because of Gongyoo himself is a mid 30 on-screen and off-screen. actually i thought this will happened to noona romance only, but not true. even Ahjusshi romance also have their backlash. i was really, thinking if people are against high-school girls romancing. then why agreeing to Reply shows that kind of high-school girls and high-school boys romancing? (haha, okay, i watched Monstar, as well as Who Are you, and Reply series, liked all.) Because i know in real life, it is pretty hard to tell your family baby sister (aged 17) not to fall into puppy love with that senior next class, or that school swimmer, or even that super young Art-teacher.... but nowadays 17 are not more like our time 17. they will blink hard at you saying, its just dating and swooning, nobody talking about marrying nobody.

given that liked i said the previous article, Age nowadays does NOT reflect a person's maturity. some of you who make such good senses in posting, may be a secret 17 or a secret 19 right? and i have a strong feelings some are really concern with the young pairing out of worries of the values it instil into our teens to start looking for ahjusshi to fall  in love. but some ranting ones are just about disliking any female leads in person.
Back years ago when i was very young, there was a 1999 Japanese drama, that rises huge anti-waves as well as swooning supporting fans. Majo no Jōken: Forbidden Love (魔女の条件) ("Terms of a witch") Nanako Matsushima Nanako matsushima(now 43. back then was age 26 when acted) and Hideaki Takizawa (now 34, back then was 17 yrs old). This is worst, because its about a high school boy of aged 17-year-old, fall in love with his Form teacher which is a 26-year-old high school teacher. i know the values it hold, nowadays, has shifted and many dramas keep depicting younger and younger leads falling in love. but i realised so far Kdrama dare not ask for a real drama that having teen pregnancy theme (or is that really?) and celebrated or justified it. even in Reply series, you find the OTP only come together after they graduated and started work.

KSH and YSH have already quit their studies and they faced the Real Hard Cruel World Way earlier than most of our teens around us in real life.  again, i must say, i am noona, i am not about to start looking for Young teen to romance, i am working in an institution itself, haha, myself must set examples right?. hahah. don't get me wrong. study still come first. maturity of teens cannot be judged also by how earlier you step into the workforce, this i also understand. i welcome anyone who agree to disagree with me. For a guy like YSH who is willing to goes around the odd, against the norm, serve Army, when many run far away from Army, and push until way beyond 30 yrs old, he embraced it quietly without any loud Bang, i believed he know what is the right time to do what. His maturity is without question, and his judgement of another's maturity should not be questioned too.

22 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

@Zaileigh haha. i was anticipating you will jump onboard. i know when it air you will. no much news. except the supporting casts revealed. some said script reading in process. don't know. welcome here. worry this will be like Saimdang light diary... drag on and on... for its release date. but one thing i know, since its preproduced, the quality will be there, since it will not be affected by anti-fans or Knetizens.

Hi there @maryofbethany. True, I've done my daily search today but still no news for ruler. 

Someone clarified my post in asianwiki that the script reading for ep.1 & 2 just finish. Is this true? When did this happened?Does the script reading was done together with the actors or just with the production team to amend the script? Haven't found any photos for the script reading till now so I assumed it didn't happened yet.

I love how you guys keep this thread going despite the little news we got.

I usually don't ship, even irl or just drama/ movie character. When I watch, I just focus on the plot and acting, I won't ship YSH and KSH, the same goes to PBG and KYJ. The fact that they keep pairing minor with adult still bugs me, but I still force myself to watch because they had my fav actors/ actresses. Anw, not in a relationship but I do hope they remain good friends after the drama ends. I'm gonna be back when we get more info about the drama <3

@Regrann from @shirleylsf0716  -  Just find this on Google,  take it' as fun because it may not be true:

Pyunsoo-hwe
Those have the power to take control of the kings.

King
In order to protect the prince from the Pyunsoo-hwe,, the prince has put on the mask since childhood. A person who knows his face will be killed.

Lee Sun
Since Lee's childhood, he is wearing a mask, and Lee, who has gone out of the palace, he will meet with Ga Eun outside the palace accidentally.

Lee Ga Eun
Ga Eun is losing her father because of  Lee Sun, and then she is holding hands with Pyunsoo-hwe to get revenge (Ga Eun's father is a loyal person, but he was killed by a conspiracy of Pyunsoo-hwe but his death was made to look like killed  by Lee Sun on the surface.) . 

Lee Sun (L)
One of the fake prince who are aimed for keeping the real prince safety.

Yoon So Hee 
Yoon So hee,  i.e. Kim Hwa Gun as the eldest daughter.of Pyunsoo-hwe  leader, who saw the face of the real prince  that came out of the palace , and she meet Lee Sun earlier than Ga Eun.

This is an early story post by someone on Google.  it may not be the actual script, so take it as fun.
Cr. Cherish Weibo
#ruler master of the mask - #regrann  

17 hours ago, Berou said:

@Zaileigh  this insta account updates regularly about ruler, it seems like the cast hasn't been completed it yet. few days ago, the second lead lady, Yoon so hee updated her insta account and said she was shooting/ preparing (?) for ruler :

on twitter some said YSH isn't filming for ruler ( idk his filming schedule, he's so secretive !) and it is only KSH that is preparing for  ruler

Hi @Berou. Yeah I do think so. So this means they're still gathering for the cast and after they completed it they will have the script reading together with all the cast and crew.

1_zpsoqzzvejs.jpg~original

Credit: Couch-Kimchi

I've seen KSH weekly sched update and it said that she had a shooting & shooting preparation for Ruler last Dec. 5-11. 

oePVrZET.jpg:large

You're right @Berou. He's so private. We will never know about the things YSH do until the media reported it but still we/me as a fan, will always support and love him. :blush:

GUYS :heart: this such a hopeful news for us (or me atleast) :wub: haha, sorry for the exaggeration, i'm just happy that everyone are friendly with each other outside the filming :w00t: and after a long drought for news we finally heard something. This is good news specially for the two leads, since they will be comfortable with each other, and more chances for the them to be closer.. This will truly help in their chemistry in the drama..

Lily from twitter:
" that's on So Hyun schedule last 2 weeks. Maybe thats only So Hyun preparing her role individually. Let's wait and see ."

(and she just posted this)
" As expected Ruler:Master of the mask will start filming at the end of December and filming period will be around 4-5months. 26th Dec exactly ."

FINALLY!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0Gy8ylUUAAabL5.jpg:large

C0Gy8ylUUAAabL5.jpg

cr. Lily

17 minutes ago, Berou said:

So..... did the script reading already take place? if they start shooting on the 26th, that must mean they have already met for the script reading...which i suppose was on the 16th.

The shooting will wrap up on April ( April 5th), they will then film for around 3 months and a half. isn't it short for a sageuk?

lastly, i want to see the cast at the MBC drama awards ( to promote ruler), it will be perfect if L and SH are the MCees !!!! they have already been MCees together in the past :). i don't hope for YSH to co-host, he's too "rigid" for this kind of thing LOL. he flees  variety shows  like the plague. 

@Berou YSH wont do hosting, like u say too much limelight, and easy to say something silly, since he is not the 'entertainer' kind, and that he also don't do realities shows, means he will not have enough LIVE on screen experiences to feel very comfortable for hours.....but but but...i hope he can present some awards.
i waill be watching the drama award. since i have the cable TV. lets see whether i do some some LIVE recap/sub here... like you say, they will promo the coming dramas which are the highlight of the station. i guess Ruler should be their highlight for MBC... MBC is starvign after watching DotS bless KBS, and n ow TvN is blessed by Goblin, and Moonlight and SH winning all  the hearts... MBC has nothing much in their bag.... Ruler might be their secret weapon.....
but but but again, i am worry. why?
i reallly went to watch a few eo of Shine of Go Crazy... and i really go crazy for this.
not going crazy in good sense, but go crazy been disapointed, the Driecotr is the one hemmed the Shine go Crazy right? Please PD stop doing and bring the crazy and dramatic and exergerating acting stuff from Shine into Ruler....
i FORBID THAT! i will sent fire and brimstone into MBC if they turn that Ruler into some silly crazy stuff, and whatis wosen, the very lame costume. don't believe me, go google Shine and Go Crazy see theri costume.
please please, soemone please dress KSH and YSH up in most appropriate way....

16 hours ago, maryofbethany said:

Lily from twitter:
" that's on So Hyun schedule last 2 weeks. Maybe thats only So Hyun preparing her role individually. Let's wait and see ."

(and she just posted this)
" As expected Ruler:Master of the mask will start filming at the end of December and filming period will be around 4-5months. 26th Dec exactly ."

FINALLY!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0Gy8ylUUAAabL5.jpg:large

cr. Lily

Loving the news! Thanks for sharing guys. Love you all. :blush:

1 hour ago, Berou said:

the idea of YSH presenting awards didn't cross my mind, he did it in the past, one or twice. ruler is definitely MBC'secret weapon, so it will be the talk of the show. MBC will try to promote it as much as it can, it's been years that MBC didn't get a hit drama. Ruler is their golden weapon

We think the same way on this. I've been thinking why there's no news for this yet. The quite the drama will be, the more it will uproar. Cause supporters and fans will get curious and will find its way to sneak peek. Well, lets just wait and see the outcome. So excited for Dec.26. Hopefully there will be a BTS photos on that day. :blush:

Archived