[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

3 minutes ago, cynkdf said:

I am very impressed by KSH's acting so far. I feel that she didn't have enough scenes in today's episode. 

I like her acting so far too, but I personally feel that the show/ plot hasn't done her talent justice. Even the second leads have had more plot points to showcase their complexity (whether the actor/ actress delivered it is an entirely different matter though). KSH has only been allowed to show consistency in her acting and character interpretation (on-point sageuk tone, sweet nature, elegance and good manners generally expected of a middle-class girl born in that era), through some light-hearted moments, but I always believe when it requires displays of emotional depths that the audience can tell whether an actor/ actress has raw talents. I'd say give KSH heavy materials and she'd give even the more experienced/ mature members of the cast here the run for their money.:wub:

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, maskros said:
Spoiler

I like her acting so far too, but I personally feel that the show/ plot hasn't done her talent justice. Even the second leads have had more plot points to showcase their complexity (whether the actor/ actress delivered it is an entirely different matter though). KSH has only been allowed to show consistency in her acting and character interpretation (on-point sageuk tone, sweet nature, elegance and good manners generally expected of a middle-class girl born in that era), through some light-hearted moments, but I always believe when it requires displays of emotional depths that the audience can tell whether an actor/ actress has raw talents. I'd say give KSH heavy materials and she'd give even the more experienced/ mature members of the cast here the run for their money.:wub:

so far we havent seen the arch of GE character. I think we will see the difference after her father was assassinated. I feel that GE will also change from the young generous girl right now to a vengeance woman soon.

7 minutes ago, dekaron said:

@fieza1871

Hide contents

No King part for Sado,

Hide contents

best case scenario he escapes with a commoner guy dying for him at the end as a double

not sure if the writer/pd is using Sado as reference since in the poster YSH is wearing the king robe ...if I m not mistaken

2 hours ago, mili1234 said:

Just why did crownprince gave his royal seal to lee sun(peasant). If one day they want some kinda proof, how must YSH proof that his the real crown prince/king :frown:

I just cannot figure out the storyline. This drama is so unpredictable :confounded:

I just wonder why the hell the pyungsoo is soooooo determine to kill or even wants the crown prince to join their faction. So they want more power? 

Ep 5 just started and the story is getting more intense :astonished:

I think his teacher (the one he went to look for) is his only hope since he knows of his poisoning incident and its side effect!! 

I can guess a little but the writer can go whichever road he'd please which is fun thing!! :D beside being worrying for sure!! 

they need every ruler of jeoson to be their puppet, they can't afford for our Crown Prince to go against them as the new ruler or they'll lose all the power they already had from their 1st puppet King!! 

Eventhough there's no sub in ep 5. But I can understand that his father(king) let crown prince knows about his dirty work  (joining pyungsoo, how he becomes the king and the antidote for his) of becoming the king :confounded:

so the Crown Prince knows now about his father's dirty past and hand in giving Pyunsoohwe's group all that power they have now?!! feel sad for him!! :heartbreak: 

Ga eun father knows that Chun Soon is the CP. He asked his assistant to help the CP. CP asked why GaEun father doesn't want to be saved. CP asked GaEun father to help/save him

I too dont understand why is ga eun's father like this. 

pyungsoo keep killing innocent people. It is so easy to kill people even the CP eunuch is poison and dying. CP showed his face to his eunuch and his eunuch said he was handsome and he died. Then Gayon and 2nd lead girl now knows CP face, but she asked to keep a secret(from what I understand). Well I can say that she's quite good for now.

Urghhh pyungsoo, i cant wait for the Oreshin(aka leader) to dieeee

Gaeun reads the letter that was given by her father and she knows that he'll be executed

I think he's aware that he can't be saved!! he must have realised that the King needs him to die to protect CP from the Pyunsoohwe's group!! :heartbreak: 

nooooooo don't do this!! :bawling: how can they kill the CP's eunch?!! how can he live now after seeing all these people die on him!! :bawling: 

1 hour ago, RanM said:

Because I JUST CAN'T REALLY WAIT. I've watched it raw even though I can't understand what they're saying...

Based from what I've saw I think DM wants CP to execute GE's father. But i think the King doesn't want the CP to carry the guilt in executing someone that is innocent hence he let the CP's bodyguard to imitate the CP and execute GE's father.

I can't wait for the subs. 

what a caring father he is!! IS HE KIDDING ME?!! HE LET PEOPLE DIE INSTEAD OF SAVING THEM AS A KING SO HE'LL HIDE HIS DIRTY PAST AND THAT'S WHY OUR CROWN PRINCE IS IN DANGER AND FULL OF GUILT!! :rage::bawling: 

1 hour ago, paperboat04 said:

Amazing performance again, as always Yoo Seung Ho. :) You never fail to make me cry.

My favorite scenes this night.

cr:yoopiesvnteam

I have no doubt but that's my heart he's breaking!! :heartbreak::bawling: 

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Thanks @Berou for the clips.

Urgh, I can't believe HG can still managed a smirk while riding on horseback with CP at such highly tensed mood. Self-absorbed and obsessive much... I still don't know how she will turn to help CP instead in the future, although in one of the clips she did show sadness having witnessed CP grieving for the eunuch. Hope it was also sadness as she realized her grandfather dirty works. I don't know the order of the clips, so can only make guesses.

Can someone confirm if GE's father, the actor is the same as MLSHR's oldest prince?

she's crazy but at least she'll be useful!! she asked her father's guard to not tell her grandfather about our CP's real identity I think, telling him that if he die she'll die too!! well at least we can be assured that our CP will be safe for now thanks to her madness!! 

59 minutes ago, fieza1871 said:
1 hour ago, dekaron said:

@fieza1871

Reveal hidden contents

No King part for Sado,

Reveal hidden contents

best case scenario he escapes with a commoner guy dying for him at the end as a double

not sure if the writer/pd is using Sado as reference since in the poster YSH is wearing the king robe ...if I m not mistaken

the drama is fiction drama so even by using Lee Seon CP as the CP here still there is many fiction parts included in this drama so he still can rule as a King even though Sado didn't and can marry the woman he loves Ga Eun even if Sado lived differently!! :D you can understand me better by reading this:

Spoiler

http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/05/ruler-master-of-the-mask-episode-1/

Javabean's comment:

Historical note: This drama is presenting itself as historical fiction, but appears to be very loosely incorporating facts and personages around the time of Crown Prince Sado and King Yeongjo. (Projects involving these figures include Yi San, Sado, and Secret Door.) The drama is taking care not to make this an official connection, changing key facts to remain in the realm of fiction, but there are clear parallels, and not purely out of coincidence.

Such as: Yoo Seung-ho’s character is named Lee Sun, as Sado was named. His mother is Yeongbin Consort Lee, as was Sado’s mother. The character’s father is portrayed as a king desperate to cast off the political strings to which he is beholden, and is complicit in the murder of his older brother, the previous king—this reflects the life of King Yeongjo, who was hamstrung by the Noron political faction and who ascended to the throne after the untimely death of his brother, Gyeongjong, whom he was suspected to have killed. On the other hand, this drama’s king is named Lee Yoon, which was not Yeongjo’s name, and I don’t expect him to rule for fifty years. It appears this drama’s Sun will take the throne, which Sado never did.

So I take that we are meant to understand the rough time period and political climate, without seeing Ruler as a representation of real history. (Which is a good thing as far as I’m concerned, because I’m not sure I could stand that tragic, grisly fate for Yoo Seung-ho; it was bad enough to inflict it on Lee Je-hoon and Yoo Ah-in!) I find it a smart move, too, because it avoids the pitfalls of basing a story on a real character and then ignoring key facts (ahem, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds), while still being able to transfer some of the gravitas of the real history into this fictional setup. For instance, Yoo Seung-ho is not playing Crown Prince Sado, but there’s enough of an association that it evokes a pang of wistfulness and fear of tragedy striking him (without also having to work around making him married, or a murderer). I like this kind of ambiguity, because they’re not going all willy-nilly with history, but they’re not tying their hands from the outset, either.

Yoo Seung Ho had an amazing performance today, I love his acting in the crying scene when CP argued with his father. And So Hyun never fail to impress me, I can feel her pain right in the heart T^T BUT am I the only one who feel like there's not enough space for Ga Eun's character development, up to now? I know it is a male-centric drama, but I dont really like that idea of CP protecting Ga Eun 24/7 :v I mean she's such a strong character, I would love to see more sides of her and I'm sure Kim So Hyun can make me feel for Ga Eun no matter what T^T Cant wait for tomorrow's episode T^T 

I dont know if im going to be able to watch todays episode as i normally stay up till midnight for eng sub as I've got to study for my politics exam.

But honestly I cannot wait. Todays episode seemed so intense and i watched a few scenes where Seung Ho was crying and omg, his acting is honestly amazing:wub:

Im still confused as to why Hwa Goon & Lee Sun were riding the same horse but it seems as if he was trying to stop the execution:cry:

4 hours ago, fieza1871 said:

his anguish was so real...u can feel the pain through the screen. I would say these OTP are very well match..both of them can carry the character so vividly that it give u goosebumps watching it...

kudos to YSH & KSH.  

Indeed...what an episode! They can even poison a newborn-firstborn-son-prince..this group is fearless!

Thr leader's soft spot is his grand daughter, they should just kidnap her!

-------------------------------------

1985838.jpg?w=640&h=372&crop=1

BOLBBALGAN4 – YOU AND ME FROM THE START (처음부터 너와 나) RULER: MASTER OF THE MASK OST

Baby you, my love
When I see you, when I’m with you
Darkness disappears, time stops
In this place, it’s only you and me

It remains, love was always painful
The emotions of love, traps that made me cry
That’s what I thought love was

Be a light inside of me
Know my heart
Be a star that shines on my world
I won’t regret it
I’ll be your reason
As if it was always you and me from the start

My heart tingles
As if it’ll stop
My day is already only about you
I won’t hurt you just for the reason that I love you
As if it was always you and me from the start Love you

Even now I was thinking about you
Before I go to sleep, I think of you
Emotions seep into us
So I keep thinking about you more and more

Spoiler

Be a light inside of me
Know my heart
I won’t regret it
I’ll be your reason

I feel like only I haven’t known you
Feels like we started our love
A long time ago

My heart tingles
As if it’ll stop
My day is already only about you
I won’t hurt you just for the reason that I love you
As if it was always you and me from the start Love you

Be a light inside of me
Know my heart
I won’t regret it
I’ll be your reason

I posted this in a wrong thread: now I'm posting it here:

I WANT TO KILL THE THE KING!! HOW DARE HE ASK CO LEE SEON TO KILL GA EUN'S FATHER AND SAY HE'LL DIE BECAUSE OF HIM AND HIS POOR DECISIONS WHE4S HE(THE KING) IS THE ONE TO BE BLAMED FOR ALL PEOPLE'S SUFFERING AND DEATHS!! :rage: HOW CAN HE MAKE HIM SUFFER MORE WHEN HE'S SUFFERING MORE THAN ENOUGH?!! :rage::bawling: the CP's decision's put people's lives at risk? but WHAT ABOUT YOU, YOU PATHETIC USELESS KING?!! :rage: :bawling:

back to finish watching!! 

I finished watching the episode!! I'm out of breath and I'm happy I'll get to see my CP standing on his feet and start trying to fight back because really I'm a complete wreck right now!! :heartbreak::bawling: I hate the King as much as I hate Pyunsoohwe's group and I want to kill them all right now!! :rage: I was drinking my tears actually watching our CP being overwhelmed by pain and guilt realising that the people's suffering was the price of his life and he kept seeing more people die for him at ever turn!! :heartbreak::bawling: and the pathetic King has to add more salt to his wounds and tell him to kill Ga Eun's father with his own hands and that it's all the result of his wrong decision!! HOW DARE HE?!! :rage: but KUDOS to Yoo Seung Ho for his great performance (which is no surpice to anyone)!! :thumbsup:

have to go now, see you all tomorrow!! :wub: 

6 hours ago, sakura2016 said:

she's crazy but at least she'll be useful!! she asked her father's guard to not tell her grandfather about our CP's real identity I think, telling him that if he die she'll die too!! well at least we can be assured that our CP will be safe for now thanks to her madness!!

IKR! How ironic...

I've never seen you used so many emoticons before. Must be a fully tear-jerking episode. Hmmm really need to find a suitable time to watch this episode coz I might end up drinking my tears like you too.

Btw, I actually would like to see a proper face-off between Gon and CW. Poor CW having to do the execution, but such a great friend to CP for relieving him from such a cruel decision of the King.

OMG .. what am I watching? OMG ... I should have waited until it finished .. OMG ... 

It's the most ridiculous plot everrrrr and yet entertaining - this is sooo wrong .... HOW COME it is so addictive? ..

The cast is AWESOME .. esp KSH and YSH ...  full stop

Demmmm .. they played with my emotion ... demm the story line ..

The story is wrong in sooooooooooo many ways that I lost count.

1. How come there's another group that is more powerful than the king and his ministers and the rest of the country. It's not like they have magic and immortal. If they can kill people why can't the King and his people do something to kill them back. It's not like they own the whole army.

2. What is the King waiting for? Why can't he do anything? Is it because he need drug that supplied by DM in order to live? 

3. If DM can just ordered the King to do anything and he succumb to him like a terrified kitten, why didn't DM demand to see the Prince face? And the Prince is suppose to join him and why didn't he stop the king from concealing the prince face? How to know who is the real CP? Why did DM let this matter escape his clutches? ... WHY DID HE NEED TO SPY ON CP when he can just directly demand the King ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING!!! .. this is ridiculous

4. When will CP be strong enough to fight? Why does the magistrate has to die? Why can't it be now that CP take action? ... Wait until when? Until DM dies??????????????? ... 

OMG - The plot make my blood boiled .... I can feel smokes coming out from my nose ... it RIDICULOUS ... the  Holessss in the plot is sooooooooooooo big it can fit an elephant ... make it two elephants .. 

THE CONFLICT IS SO MEGA HUGE  ... between CP and GE .. how are they gonna overcome it? .. It's doomed from the start ... I am so gonna lose a lot of tears .. crying because I am so angry of the STUPID situation...

This is sadist . it savage ... I am angry .. dayemmmmmmmmmmmm it is so addictive ... but if the holes getting bigger and more ridiculous .. I don't know if my brain gonna be able to process the absurdity ... HELLO .. YOU ARE THE KING .... ruler of the nation ... why are you so weak? Why not use your resources... why wait for your son to do something that you cannot do ... something that you should have taken care off yearsssssss ago ... why let the tumor became as big as the elephant?

What make you think your son can do? .... Boneless Majesty ...

7 minutes ago, Bambiina said:

OMG .. what am I watching? OMG ... I should have waited until it finished .. OMG ... 

It's the most ridiculous plot everrrrr .... HOW COME it is so addictive? .. The cast is AWESOME .. esp KSH and YSH ... 

Demmmm .. they played with my emotion ... demm the story line ..

The stroy is wrong in sooooooooooo mnay ways and I lost count ..

1. How come there's another group that is more powerful than the king and his ministers and the rest of the country. It's not like they have magic that and immortal. If they can kill people why can't the King and his people do something to kill them back. It's not like they own the whole army.

2. What is the King waiting for? Why can't he do anything? Is it because he need drug that supplied by DM in order to live? 

3. If DM can just ordered the King to do anything and he succumb to him like a terrified kitten, why didn't DM demand to see the Prince face? And the Prince is suppose to join him and why didn't he stop the king from concealing the prince face? How to know who is the real CP? Why did DM let this matter escape his clutches? ... 

4. When will CP be strong enough to fight? Why does the magistrate has to die? Why can't it be now that CP take action? ... Wait until when? Until DM dies??????????????? ... 

OMG - The plot make my blood boiled .... I can feel smokes coming out from my nose ... it RIDICULOUS ... the  Holessss in the plot is sooooooooooooo big it can fit an elephant ... make it two elephants .. 

THE CONFLICT IS SO MEGA HUGE  ... between CP and GE .. how are they gonna overcome it? .. It's doomed from the start ... I am so gonna lose a lot of tears .. crying because I am so angry of the STUPID situation...

This is sadist . it savage ... I am angry .. dayemmmmmmmmmmmm it is so addictive ... but if the holes getting bigger and more ridiculous .. I don't know if my brain gonna be able to process the absurdity ... HELLO .. YOU ARE THE KING .... ruler of the nation ... why are you so weak? Why not use your resources... why wait for your son to do something that you cannot do ... something that you should have taken care off yearsssssss ago ... why let the tumor became as big as the elephant?

What make you think your son can do? .... Boneless Majesty ...

Problem is the king is a puppet that relies on antidotes from pyunsoo group to stay alive. All his court ministers are in pyunsoo group's paycheck and pay homage to DM and he is the real power instead.

King and CP powerless. Unless CP starts to build his own "army" and gains strength, he is easily dispensable. What shocked me most is the audacity of HG's bodyguard.  He just ordered hits on CP and CW and LS without a care if it kills the real Prince. That's how much respect pyunsoo group has for royalty - none at all. So frustrating... 

I'm enjoy watching yoon so hee in her projects (marriage not dating & queen of the ring) but in Ruler, her acting was so cringey.. Her intonation and smirking face really not suits with saeguk.. I am quiet upset.. Her roles have more airtime than KSH but yet she can't pull it off.. If the roles were given to the right actress, she really can outshine KSH with such good written character like her..

17 minutes ago, kimchigal2 said:

Problem is the king is a puppet that relies on antidotes from pyunsoo group to stay alive. All his court ministers are in pyunsoo group's paycheck and pay homage to DM and he is the real power instead.

King and CP powerless. Unless CP starts to build his own "army" and gains strength, he is easily dispensable. What shocked me most is the audacity of HG's bodyguard.  He just ordered hits on CP and CW and LS without a care if it kills the real Prince. That's how much respect pyunsoo group has for royalty - none at all. So frustrating... 

If DM can control the King with his antidotes and the ministers with money ... he doesn't actually need CP on his side anymore ... HE HAS CONTROL OVER THE KING oh heck HE HAS ENTIRE NATION UNDER HIS CONTROL  .... I bet he can even kill CP if he really want to ... if he can just poison anyone (except CP of course - but he has 1001 other method to kill CP and continue to have hold over the king - I wonder why he didn't just be the king himself ... I am pulling my hair over these questions .. (Yes I know the rule of the thumb when watching KDrama  IGNORE LOGIC!) .. I might be doing just that and let my brain freeze .. stop questioning and just watch with my heart instead of head ... yeah I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee YSH .. he is so handsome .... BTW - I am waiting for bath scenes ... kekekkekekkekekekkekkeke ... That I DON"T NEED MY BRAIN

Archived