[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi chingus! I am back :D

I really love this drama. I rewatch it twice already. I have to say, it has been a while since a sageuk drama has caught my attention. The last one I tried to keep up with was Six Flying Daggers (or something like that), but I lost track. But this one, I am going to follow from episode 1 to the end. And I ship the CP & Ga Eun. I saw their chemistry right from the start. And I rarely ship OTPs from the beginning.

I like this idea of the CP hiding behind a mask. There is something so unique about a mask, for it hides an identity and creates an identity at the same time. In the CP’s favor, it hides his identity. But for commoner LS, it will create an identity for him. However, I also think that this opportunity of LS being given the role to play CP will and can turn him to a darker side. He is now veiled with revenge for his father, and does feel that the CP had a role in it. CP, out of guilt, may have suggested switching roles to make up for the death he believed he caused.

I admit. I am a bit frustrated and annoyed by the second lead’s role. When I watched the episodes, I was yelling at her actions. If anyone, I think the second lead is responsible for LS’s death. She used her power to provoke the leader in investigating the thief. Of course, this was necessary to push the plot forward. And we clearly see that the CP has no interest in her. In fact, he didn’t even recognize her. Ran right past her. This for sure is the beginning of a love rivalry that can go terribly wrong in the terms of ‘jealousy’. I don’t hate her role or character yet but I am left feeling frustrated at her actions.

Already in this drama, we have the mask and ‘water’ as crucial plot devices. In the further episodes, we will clearly see how these two items will continue to play a role in twisting our characters’ lives. I know it may even be the reason for the angst of our characters. Oh, my heart!

But on the lighter side, the expressions in CP, Ga Eun, and LS eyes are very good. I love it when emotions are portrayed through the eyes. I can’t resist an OTP who stares at each other with smitten love. And the tears and angst that will follow after a tragedy. 

Oh, I came up with an idea for our name on this thread. We can call ourselves the ‘Masquerades.’

I mean, this drama has to do with a hidden identity behind a mask. Masquerades are all about hiding behind masks too.

What do you guys think?

4 hours ago, kimchigal2 said:

Great observation. The guy executing gaeuns dad is definitely not YSH. Either Chung Woon or maybe even L. Made to prove he is a loyal subject to the king. After all we know CP will be bringing him back to the palace. I think the pleading scene will take place concurrently with the execution. CP locked in by his father while someone else is tasked to masquerade him to finish the job

It can't be L since he is behind Gaeun next to Woobo in the 1st pic though.

I thought the same but kinda skeptical since the pleading scene is at night while the executing scene is at day?

Have anyone watched the 7 mins video released this morning? I have been waiting for it for 2 days thinking it could be a 7 minutes long trailer but sadly it's just a review for the previous aired episodes.

However, we do get some brand new scenes.

BgzVULq.jpguRWWKH6.jpg

Can I be delusional and hope this is the CP trying to stop the execution? Y___Y

My heart just couldn't stand the fact that the CP and Gaeun would stop seeing each other after her dad died.

The link for anyone who haven't watched it: http://tv.naver.com/v/1679498 (You can skip to 08:39 for the scene above)

13 hours ago, MadraRua said:

Spoiler

Ruler: Master of the Mask                                                                       Goblin

Just so we have a reference for comparison. She's a beautiful actress, but maybe the makeup artists were more skilled in Goblin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Kim Soo Hyun's make-up right now as Han Ga-eun suits her. I believe it is supposed to be. Her character is a healer, the drama production/wardrobe dresses the actors according to their character's personality. I don't know if you guys noticed but Han Ga-Eun has this intelligent and simple aura. I believe the make-up and the dress is just right for her character.

I actually like her make-up here because she looks more mature. It is actually one of the first thing the I've noticed when I saw the BTS pics of her last month. I noticed the face/nose contour to make her look older and mature. :) I like it honestly.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, back to the crown prince. lol I think he needs to make a lot of mistakes in life to be able to be a great ruler.

I think the turning point would be the mistake of letting LeeSun keep the Jade jewelry. One of the things that I've noticed is he tends to be impulsive and idealistic. A trait that sheltered people have. He haven't experience being treated like a richard simmons and I think swapping to LeeSun and live as a simple citizen/commoner will teach him a lot of lesson in life and will make him understand how the society works. It is actually a great training ground for him. :)

Hi Guys! Newbie here. I was a silent reader before.

This one is saeguk drama I am really looking forward after ML and MDBTC.

The first 2 episodes (4 actually) are really great. Every scene really makes me want to see more. There is no scene which makes me feels bored.

The chemistry between YSH and KSH is really great. It is so funny in their first encounter. Usually the scene is like: the woman which almost fall and the man catch her, but it is different here. hahaha... Really looking forward to their relationship development.

I like every character here, but same with most of you HG is the most annoying one. Argghhh... but, yeah, that what makes the drama interesting. But I can't handle if the writer made her to be the Crown Prince's wife first (what do you call it? Crown Princess?) because of the political situation, and our main girl character (GE) should suffer. And I hate it that she met our CP first before GE. Arrgghhh....

Anyway, about LS, I saw the trailer, seems like after becoming the fake CP, he will join the bad clan (I forgot that clan name) which shown him take the 3 pricks (if I'm not wrong) like the King before. Which means that he will depend on the antidote pills like the king, right? Is that mean he will probably die at last? (we'll see what the story will be). About 'L' acting... hmmm... for me he is not bad.

GE, I really like her because she is an independent, kindhearted and smart girl. We saw that GE learn about medicine. Will she be the one who will find the real antidote for the deadly poison, which will not have the dependency effect like what the King suffer? We'll see...

About KSH here and in Goblin, same with some of you, I think she's still beautiful. The make up is the same as in Goblin. Any difference is the hair style + accessories and the wardrobe. She is the queen in Goblin which should get the grandest hairstyle/accessories/outfit compare to here, only as the daughter of an official. Maybe you can compare it if at the end she became a queen too. Oh, and please do give some thought about the timing background between this drama and Goblin which probably can make the differences in style too.

For our CP, I think I can not give many comment. I really like him. Although he is clueless, he is very honest and straightforward about his feeling. Especially when she ask GE has she betrothed. So funny... YSH really deliver the character well.

Can not wait for Friday!!! (I usually watch Wed+Thu drama on Friday so that I have 2 new episodes + eng sub at once)

5 hours ago, wingki13 said:

I thought the same but kinda skeptical since the pleading scene is at night while the executing scene is at day?

Have anyone watched the 7 mins video released this morning? I have been waiting for it for 2 days thinking it could be a 7 minutes long trailer but sadly it's just a review for the previous aired episodes.

My heart just couldn't stand the fact that the CP and Gaeun would stop seeing each other after her dad died.

The link for anyone who haven't watched it: http://tv.naver.com/v/1679498 (You can skip to 08:39 for the scene above)

I went to watch it. Let me be delusional with you. Very likely, since he isn't in his CP garb nor mask, maybe he was locked in his room and managed to escape but arrived too late. I really hope it's not him.

Btw, it seems like the King will soon be killed and CP (stand-in) made king. I thought there was a scene where CP wears green (eunuch?) garb and fighting and screaming while being dragged away (by CW?).

And I am speculating what is it about the scene when CP watching GE riding away on a horse. He is in his blue commoner clothes. Will we see more bonding and relationship growth between CP and GE before the tragic execution happen?  Why does it seem that the execution is going to happen soon? Could it be that her father was executed because he was found out doing the investigation on PSH activities as ordered by CP in ep.4?

I must say the plot is quite refreshing coz it is still so unpredictable where the writer will bring us.

Thanks for the translate, Faye406. LOL: Myung-soo is also calling So-hyun "noona". I guess it's going the be the official "Ruler" joke.

--About who'll kill Ga-eun's father, no way Crown Prince would do such that terrible thing... unless Pyunsoohwe's got a second drug-flower, one that can control other people's minds. But if they had that powerful weapon, they'd be already using it.

--About Kim So-hyun image 'Goblin vs. Ruler': I guess we're going to watch changes for the better. Just remember this gorgeous poster (hope it will be posted, I'm lost when it's time to attach pictures):

GjLt0P1.png&key=57c988530e72d02500a37318

cr: Akausagi

“Ruler: Master Of The Mask” Main Cast Picks Which Member Differs Most From First Impressions

Kim-So-Hyun-Yoo-Seung-Ho-Yoon-So-Hee-INF
Shares 797

The main cast of “Ruler: Master of the Mask” appeared on MBC’s “Section TV Entertainment Relay” and discussed which one of them was the most unlike their first impressions.

Kim So Hyun, Yoo Seung Ho, Yoon So Hee, and Kim Myung Soo (INFINITE’s L) were asked the question, “Which person is most different from your first impression of them?” and Kim Myung Soo got everyone else’s votes.

Kim-So-Hyun-Yoo-Seung-Ho-Yoon-So-Hee-INF

When asked why, Kim So Hyun explained, “When you see him, you think he’s going to be a very quiet and calm person, but he’s so charming and can get everyone energized.” Yoon So Hee laughed and added, “When you get to know him, you’ll find that he kind of has this ‘old man’ charm to him.”

Kim Myung Soo explained that he’s the oldest out of the four and joked around, calling the others his kids. For reference, Kim Myung Soo was born in 1992 while Yoo Seung Ho and Yoon So Hee were born in 1993. Kim So Hyun is the youngest, having been born in 1999.

While receiving everyone else’s votes, Kim Myung Soo chose Kim So Hyun as the person who was most different from his first impression of her. He said, “So Hyun is very mature. Though she’s seven years younger than me, she sometimes feels like an older sister.”

Spoiler

Source (1)

15 hours ago, cynkdf said:

@sakura2016 thanks for posting the link to hanshimi's awesome recap on Dramabeans.

you're most welcome chingu!! :D 

I'm so happy that they subbed the Q&A of Ruler's Pressconference!! I was dying wanting to know what they said about Yoo Seung Ho and now I know!!:D he's really a nice, caring and feel proud to love man!! :heart:  

When I think about it properly, if I was Ga Eun, no way in this world I could fall in love to the man who directly or indirectly executed my father publicly like that. It's a huge turning point in her life, from a lady with a loving father (she already lost her mother) to a orphan young girl who lost everything in her life in just one moment. It's also a shocking moment witnessing her father being executed like that. I'm waiting for the flawless performance of Kim So Hyun this week. The only way Ga Eun can set her revenge plan aside is to made Ga Eun fall for the Prince unknowingly his real identity, and later justifiably explains how the real CP wasn't the one who executed her father directly or behind the scenes. Only with that I can accept the story of Ga Eun fall in love with the CP.

7 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:
13 hours ago, wingki13 said:

I went to watch it. Let me be delusional with you. Very likely, since he isn't in his CP garb nor mask, maybe he was locked in his room and managed to escape but arrived too late. I really hope it's not him.

Btw, it seems like the King will soon be killed and CP (stand-in) made king. I thought there was a scene where CP wears green (eunuch?) garb and fighting and screaming while being dragged away (by CW?).

And I am speculating what is it about the scene when CP watching GE riding away on a horse. He is in his blue commoner clothes. Will we see more bonding and relationship growth between CP and GE before the tragic execution happen?  Why does it seem that the execution is going to happen soon? Could it be that her father was executed because he was found out doing the investigation on PSH activities as ordered by CP in ep.4?

I must say the plot is quite refreshing coz it is still so unpredictable where t

@wingki13 thank you so much for sharing chingu! :wub: 

it's obvious that the Crown Prince was against his father's order to kill Ga Eun's father, it was seen in the long trailer when he freaked out and yelled hearing his father's order, and surely the King made another person wear the Crown Prince's attire and mask and do the killing to keep the Pyunsoohwe's group from harming him and yes our Crown Prince screamed "stop..." at 8:39 trying to stop them but failed as we know!!  

yeah, Ga Eun's father will die really soon since that's how Pyunsoohwe's group will stop going after the Crown Prince who ordered him to investigate on them!! and I think the King won't last long too!! we're heading to alot of tears and heartbreaks from our Crown Prince!! :heartbreak: 

12 hours ago, paperboat04 said:

I think Kim Soo Hyun's make-up right now as Han Ga-eun suits her. I believe it is supposed to be. Her character is a healer, the drama production/wardrobe dresses the actors according to their character's personality. I don't know if you guys noticed but Han Ga-Eun has this intelligent and simple aura. I believe the make-up and the dress is just right for her character.

I actually like her make-up here because she looks more mature. It is actually one of the first thing the I've noticed when I saw the BTS pics of her last month. I noticed the face/nose contour to make her look older and mature. :) I like it honestly.

-------------------------------------

Anyway, back to the crown prince. lol I think he needs to make a lot of mistakes in life to be able to be a great ruler.

I think the turning point would be the mistake of letting LeeSun keep the Jade jewelry. One of the things that I've noticed is he tends to be impulsive and idealistic. A trait that sheltered people have. He haven't experience being treated like a richard simmons and I think swapping to LeeSun and live as a simple citizen/commoner will teach him a lot of lesson in life and will make him understand how the society works. It is actually a great training ground for him. :)

I agree with you, her make up suits her character!! 

he'll need to learn the hard way sadly and I think the gard of the evil grandfather has already mistook the communer Lee Seon for the Crown Prince ( 8:28 http://tv.naver.com/v/1679498) which is understandable: no Crown Prince would fight, himself, with his sword to protect a peasant!! well other than our Crown Prince for sure!! :wub: 

4 hours ago, Ly Khánh said:

When I think about it properly, if I was Ga Eun, no way in this world I could fall in love to the man who directly or indirectly executed my father publicly like that. It's a huge turning point in her life, from a lady with a loving father (she already lost her mother) to a orphan young girl who lost everything in her life in just one moment. It's also a shocking moment witnessing her father being executed like that. I'm waiting for the flawless performance of Kim So Hyun this week. The only way Ga Eun can set her revenge plan aside is to made Ga Eun fall for the Prince unknowingly his real identity, and later justifiably explains how the real CP wasn't the one who executed her father directly or behind the scenes. Only with that I can accept the story of Ga Eun fall in love with the CP.

our Crown Prince didn't really kill her father, the man wearing his attire and mask did, and neither did he order her father's death, it's the King's order against the Crown Prince's protest so she can love him freely!! :) and she'll fall for the bookseller Chun Soo not knowing he's actually the Crown Prince she's planning her revenge against, but he'll be aware of it all!! :confounded:

:heart::heartbreak: 

cr: changzhelmoon

:wub: 

cr: owner

cr: owner

I like how sohyun and seungho seem so comfortable with each other. I thought that they would be awkward at first but when I look at their BTS videos and interviews they seem close. I guess they can understand each other more since they were both child actors. In the interview with MBC, sohyun pats him gently when he jokes about breaking noona's hearts lol.

They have so much chemistry in the drama and all the korean comments I've been reading have been talking about their chemistry, acting and visual. I can't wait to see how their romance develops in the drama. I know some people might not feel comfortable with their age difference but in June Sohyun will be 19 in Korean age (an adult). I hope that means that we can expect some passionate romantic scenes, like a kiss (not a peck but an actual kiss lol). I feel like romantic scenes from dramas like the princess's man would be perfect for these two. Some people here may not be watching this for the romance, but in the end romance is what's drawing in the viewers so it's important that it's executed well imo.

I also want to do a thank you shout out for Kim So Hyun's vietnam fansite that puts eng subs on all ruler related videos:wub:

Archived