[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

It's almost 3 freaking AM where I am and I need to be up early because it's the first day of the Lunar New Year of the Rooster in a few hours ... but I CANNOT sleep because I am refreshing this forum every 5 to 10 mins!!! Aaaarghhh! WHAT has this KDrama done to me????

@Moonrain - Thank you very much, Chingu, for the suggestions! Drink lots of honey, lemon and ginger concoction for your too-much-crying induced cold!! You must add lots of ginger especially if it's cold where you are! Sigh ... I will be watching each episode CAREFULLY and I may even compare English subtitles!! 

@stroppyse - Thank you very much for providing the translation, Chingu!! I think those of you who understand Korean should go offer your services to do English subtitles for KDramas!! I also think I might have to ask you more questions as I re-watch each episode meticulously! There are some things that would still remain lost in translation, though! 

I have learnt so many things through watching this lovely Legendary KDrama, which is also my very first KDrama!! One of the things that made me sit up in utter amazement was the concept of jimjilbangs, and how you sleep in one big room together with strangers!!! Plus, the pillows seem REALLY uncomfortable!! LMH was totally hilarious in those jimjilbang scenes!!!

• Like 4

@babyval22 I think you interpret it correctly, chingu. After you mentioned that, I wonder how I could have overlooked such a detail. It makes total.

Here's the progression of my reaction to the entire drama.

Episode 1: ridiculously hilarious!

Umbrella scene: a little spark lit in my heart.

Episode 2: another hilarious episode.

Ending: wahhh he saw her as a mermaid! They kissed! 

Epilogue 2: What the hell? Don't ruin it! Don't throw in something you can't clean up. How can a historical vase possibly have a painting of something that happened in the modern time. 

Episode 3: Swoons at KDR entering the cave with lanterns lit all over. 

He's the boy! He's the boy that loved her and heard her voice!!! 

Ahhhh, the Joseon story is so sweet and good. 

Modern day: another hilarious episode. Fun to watch but no real strings attached. 

Episode 4: Is the fireworks bursting or is it their chemistry? How can she just glomp LMH like that? I'm jealous! They're cute!

Awwwhhhh, she touched his heart by talking about how he captures memories through the heart. I would totally fall for SC too if I were HJJ. 

Jerk! He named her SC. 

Laughing so hard at SC glomping LMH yet again. Laughing so hard at SC eating cake. 

Forgetting his words about protecting yourself before protecting others because of fear she might be in danger was sweet. HJJ, slowly creeping into my heart. 

Episode 5: I think this was when KDR tells his friend about his dreams. I thought, FINALLY they explained it (since I already saw in the director's cut early on, I was waiting for them to show it). Am loving how he can dream of the future. 

HJJ sending SC out on the coldest day of the year: laughing so hard. 

HJJ following SC like a fool, doing all crazy things for her: awwwhhhh. HJJ is so charming.

SC whispering to him. She is so darn cute! 

The car accident: ok, I didn't see that coming. But the OST here, I didn't like at all. 

Episode 6: 

What a way to kill the vibe writer. She can never bring on the angst for too long but it's ok, it's early on in the drama, I shouldn't expect it to make a 180 degree turn that quick. 

Lol at SC being overly dramatic saying she is forced to fast. 

Lol more at HJJ arguing with the doctor, threatening to sue them if they did not give her food. Can he be anymore adorable?

HJJ lurking outside the hospital room to see his fool eat, then hitting himself for being a fool. Ok, he just got even more adorable. 

SC fly kicking the doctor because she thought the man was being starved: roll off my bed laughing my butt off. 

HJJ's "disgusting shhhhh...": Hahahahahahahahahaha I cannot, show, I cannot. I died from laughing.

Ending: she gets to glomp him AGAIN! I want to go skiing with HJJ and have him catch me like that! 

Episode 7:

1) KDR carrying SH and telling her of his dreams. Kim Dam Ryung!!!!!! Se hwa!!! :bawling: My heart!! 

2) HJJ calling himself names without knowing 

3) Plastic bag crying 

4) eye blinking to capture memories between merman and SC

5) #jealousking 

6) HJJ walking in to SC swimming! Please see her!

7) HJJ researching 7th grade civil servant 

This show can't possibly get better right? I'm enjoying it way too much! 

Episode 8: 

1) HJJ lost at words against SC and getting all hot when it's freezing outside after seeing her: hahahahahhahahahahahahah. 

2) Merman dying: noooo! 

3) library date jeowhdidheisheidbeieb overloaded cuteness! 

4) *gasp* KDR seeing his death through HJJ's eyes! 

5) I have a plan to like (love) you too HJJ! 

6) The "my memories are mine to keep" kiss! KDR!!! You stole my heart! 

Episode 9: 

1) KDR and HJJ meeting in the mirrored room: chills all over (nothing can get hotter than two LMH on one screen)

Ok, my post is getting way toooooo long! I feel like I just replayed episodes 1 through the beginning of episode 9 in my mind lol. My point was, somewhere along the lines, I got hooked lol.

-----------

As for me, I am heavily debating on whether I want to be SC, JJH, or suzy. Seeing that my love is for HJJ and LMH, I guess I would go with SC or Suzy. Since HJJ isn't real though, that eliminates SC. I am left with wanting to be suzy! Lol. 

• Like 11

@mythicalove - Please do continue with your highlights of each episode, my dear Chingu!! Brought smiles to my face!! Episodes 1 to 8 were not yet 'makjang messed up' with the chaebol dramatics yet!! 

Frankly, I got a bit of culture shock when the makjang chaebol stuff got inserted in, because I thought I signed up for a RomCom!! I was about to give up but I stumbled upon this forum and you and @Hunter White gave me the courage to continue!!! Thanks again, my Chingus! Hahaha!

The rest is my KDrama history! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

Point taken. And, i agree that JJ allows SC to choose to do as she will, thinking that it may give her peace of mind while she has to go do what she has to do. So, at least she didn't do it over his vehement objections.

SC is a very inquisitive mermaid, after all. And, having grown up without the usual inhibitions human society places on ourselves... Umm, I can't really finish that thought. Too busy blushing. :wub:

As for LMH and kissing.. first off, I'm one of those who prefer to think about it as a kiss between JJ and SC rather than thinking about the actors because then it becomes complicated, especially since I'm aware that they're both in relationships with other people. However, when I do think about the actor, I guess I don't think of him as innocent at all, but as a normal, healthy, heterosexual man in his late 20's with all the normal urges that men have and probably some experience with kissing and skinship given that he's in a relationship already. He's also just very good looking and his acting is improving all the time. He surprised me in this drama with how good he was since I didn't necessarily rate his acting as highly before. It helps to act opposite JJH, I think, who is an amazing actress as well as very experienced. Going back to the kiss, it was very hot, though, reading the commentary on this thread makes it seem even hotter. I can't watch the scene or the gif any more without blushing a bit, though I also can't seem to stop watching it anyway.

Btw, I think you said you didn't recommend The Heirs. I totally agree. I gave up part of the way through the drama, and it was not LMH's best work. Part of the problem, I think, was that he looked kind of uncomfortable playing a high schooler again. I think having older actors to try to age down to play high school roles is a bit strange anyway, and tends not to work for me unless it's for a few initial episodes or in flashbacks only. The Heirs was odd in that Kim Tan was a high schooler the entire drama, and LMH was too manly and adult to be a high schooler. 

I find the idea of LMH reading this thread, reading the commentary about his kissing, and blushing really cute, for some reason. It was a really hot kiss. 

Agree, they are their characters and not them. Them kissing like that is the result of being immersed in their characters and showing HJJ and SC's passion. It has nothing to do with JJH or LMH. 

But at the end of the day, it is still LMH's tongue. Lol. I can't help but blush at seeing it. Lol. 

------------

I think the real problem that arose with Heirs for me was more so the fact that I thought the script was lacking. I didn't particularly find that the writer explored with LMH's potentials and in the end, I was left unimpressed with Kim Tan. It also doesn't help that Eun Sang was a damsel in distress character. 

While I understand the criticism of LOTBS, I still think it is a much, much better drama than Heirs. I also think writer park wrote HJJ very well and that allowed LMH to prove his acting chops. LOTBS will be a drama I look back on as a fan and feel warm and happy. With Heirs, sometimes, I just want to forget he ever did such a project, even though I am sure LMH appreciates Heirs, as it is one of the projects that made his name even more prominent as a Hallyu star. If Heirs proved him as a hallyu star, then LOTBS proves he is more than just a star, he is an actor. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

@mythicalove, I'm still of the opinion that SC was wrong to erase JJ's memories. While it's true that he was in great pain while waiting for her, erasing the memories wouldn't have removed the longing and emptiness that he would have felt inside. And, it would have probably even driven him into deep depression, not knowing why he had these feelings constantly with him, not to mention he wouldn't have been able to meet another woman feeling as he did, so he would have been alone for the rest of his life anyway. At least, with his memories, even though not having her by his side gave him so much grief, he would understand why he had those feelings. Also, the strongest argument I have for why SC shouldn't have removed his memories is because JJ didn't want her to remove them. He wanted to keep them. I'm a strong believer in free agency. SC doing something like removing his memories for his own sake, smacks too much of removing his agency away from him because of her fears for him. Having said all that, I do understand why SC did what she did. With his memories, JJ did suffer terribly for 3 years. I'm just saying that I still think she was wrong. 

Just jumped on your post and felt the need to respond right away. Sorry if I am repeating someone else here. I haven't read other posts yet.

I am, on the opposite, on SC's side here because if I were in her shoes, I would do like that. 

In theory, when the memories are removed, there would be no longing inside. There might be some blurry emptiness, but you would easily shake it offf unless there is something significant connected to it. In fact that theory has proved true already, When HJJ's memory was first removed in Spain, he was OK, he didn't try to remember what he forgot until he saw the bracelet. 

So in theory,  when SC's image is removed from HJJ's memory, that would make his life better. He wouldn't feel any thing, she simply didn't exist in his life. That is the theory SC knows, she doesn't know about the power of love that HJJ has for her.

In practice, HJJ is determined to remember. If there is a hole in his memory he will try hard to figure out what that hole is, he doesn't brush it off. While in love HJJ feels SC with all his senses, not only her visual image. When memories are removed, only her image disappears from his mind, but the scent of her body, the warmth of her body ..., SC can't erase those things that he can feel with his other senses (thanks for those who translated the diary for these details) . That is how HJJ  knows there exists a SC in his life, keeps on loving her and  missing her.

That's my take.

• Like 10

Guest Moonrain
57 minutes ago, Alice Mendoza said:

It's almost 3 freaking AM where I am and I need to be up early because it's the first day of the Lunar New Year of the Rooster in a few hours ... but I CANNOT sleep because I am refreshing this forum every 5 to 10 mins!!! Aaaarghhh! WHAT has this KDrama done to me????

@Moonrain - Thank you very much, Chingu, for the suggestions! Drink lots of honey, lemon and ginger concoction for your too-much-crying induced cold!! You must add lots of ginger especially if it's cold where you are! Sigh ... I will be watching each episode CAREFULLY and I may even compare English subtitles!! 

Thanks chingu, im under medication now and drinking ginger tea as well :)

Kung Hei Fat Choi to you and all chinese lobsters! I wish you all good health and best of luck in the new year!

22 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Having said that, I also accept @mythicalove's take that JJ ultimately left the choice to remove his memories with SC for her sake, so that she can believe that he was happy somewhere in the world, even without her.  However, given JJ's words, deeds, and preferences, that was a sacrifice that he made for SC's sake. 

So, I still believe that SC shouldn't have erased his memories. Nice chatting with you about it, though.

Your point is totally valid. It explains well why HJJ was kind of upset with SC . After 3 years longing for her, when knowing that she came back, instead of squeezing her tight and crying buckets of tear when meeting her, he pretended not knowing her. When he finally approached her with the umbrella, he blamed her first for erasing his memories first before telling her how much he loved her. 

The fact that we can find reasons to defend both SC and HJJ means that the story is not nonsense hihi :tongue:. Nice chatting with you,too.

• Like 7

Great finale...and happy one...don't think i would bear a sad one...enough of sadness was there from the start of their love story

Keeping empty chair for her...crying 'i miss you'...JJ didn't fool me not for a sec with his 'who r you?'...but i loved the way they did it :)

Just...if i were JJ  i would never bought a house near sea so my wife can swimm away anytime we have a fight :wink:

Funniest scene to me was when a prosecutor guy was telling JJ how guys breaked in their office 3 years ago...and JJ with his 'no way!!!' atitude :D

• Like 8

Guest Moonrain

i kept coming back to the kiss scene i think i memorized every little detail. i noticed that when Chung embraced Jun Jae and before he swooped in for that unforgettable french kiss, i think they both laughed then it was cut. im right arent i? so im sure there were a lot of takes. i'd really love to see the bts. dare i hope that SBS will release it? i'll pray for it :D

5 hours ago, LMHolic said:

Chingus can anyone please post pics of that backhug scene. In starting of ep20, HJJ holds her from back. It was before memory erasing kiss. I reay loved that scene actually. Its like a calm before the storm.. i checked few previous pages but couldnt find any pics of that scene.

Please please if anyone find HQ pics of that scne plz post and tag me.  

Here you go @LMHolic It's not as pretty as the gif @Moonrain posted but I just straight copied it from that episode

qI6FeQE.gif

• Like 8

I really tried wanting to love this show, but I couldnt. It was a good show but after the first few episodes, our main couple became the main reason for me to watch it. 

I am not comparing with YFAS but the writing here was really messed up when it could have been so much better. 

But I love the characters and the stroy as a whole, it was enjoyable and fun. :blush:

http://classyviews.blogspot.com/2017/01/legend-of-blue-sea-drama-review.html 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moonrain said:

i kept coming back to the kiss scene i think i memorized every little detail. i noticed that when Chung embraced Jun Jae and before he swooped in for that unforgettable french kiss, i think they both laughed then it was cut. im right arent i? so im sure there were a lot of takes. i'd really love to see the bts. dare i hope that SBS will release it? i'll pray for it :D

ye yes yes :grin:

• Like 5

Link to a very cute article:

[STARCAST] If you’re in “Heo Jun-jae Fever”, you must see this <’Blue Sea’ Lee Min Ho Awards>

http://m.star.naver.com/minho/news/end?id=8848531&platform=twitter

If you’re a human, there should be a color that you don’t look good on,
but look at him looking perfect with this light violet coat and orange sunglasses.

122523375_24.jpg?type=w430_q70

Jun-jae the cabbage worm is looking sweet on this neon-lime color.

122529777_32.jpg?type=w430_q70

• Like 12