[Drama 2016] 38 Task Force (Squad 38) / 38사기동대 / Special eps (8/12) @11 PM KST (OCN)

Guest phi3nk

I have finally caught up on the premiere (thanks to work, ughh)! It may be bit slow-paced in the beginning, but it looks like the story is going to be picked up in episode 3 (which is like 4-5 days away, nuuuu) where the team will be formed. Can't wait to see them in action when conning the biggest bad guy who never pay his tax (always this actor who play the baddie. Oh, if you watched Come Back Ahjusshi, you'll know :P).

It was so upsetting to see Yang Jeong-do's relationship with his father. :( And I wonder, what did he do to Chun Sung-hee? Can't wait! I am just going to watch it no matter what it brings me. (Thankful for VIU for subbing it :D)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dramacf

Police Unit 38: Episode 1
by gummimochi | June 19, 2016 | 3 Comments
Who knew that my heart would ever ache for a tax collector? But that’s exactly what happens in OCN’s new crime comedy Police Unit 38 where an ordinary man’s life is turned upside down when he crosses paths with a con artist fresh out of prison. While the premiere spends... More

I loved it and crave to see more.. Can't wait to see they gather those people to form a new team. And those tax-evaders better be prepared because they're so gonna get caught by the team...

Looking forward to for friday to see the new episode! :)

ps. The talk about Queen Ant, worker ant and soldier ant just tugged my heart. Somehow its sad to think how unfair the world is, when the rich can easily bend the law just because they got money

pps. How did Jeong Du end up conning the wrong Baek Sung II? He seemed like a person who do his conning job meticulously, how he end up not knowing there is two Baek Sung Il in the department? Hurmmm...

Guest dramacf

Oh, I have another theory with the mistaken identity of the tale of two BSI's. what if our mystery Chairman actually meticulously set them (the good BSI & YJD) up to meet? It would be interesting if it actually pans out that way...

Second recap is up on Dramas with a side of Kimchi:

Squad 38 Episode 2 – Playing Chicken With Justice

h3.png

The ethical strength of our giant tax teddy bear Seong Il comes into focus this episode as he is forced to make a decision on what is truly important. Sadly choosing the road less traveled in Korean politics is never easy, so it is lucky there is a plucky ethically challenged Jeong Do to help him along the way.

Source: https://dramaswithasideofkimchi.wordpress.com/2016/06/20/squad-38-episode-2-playing-chicken-with-justice/

Good Morning - I just came by to say - I´m sooo happy to see that there are more People now with us - Welcome to all of you - the more the merrier. And Im pretty sure there will be a lot to discuss in the Future.

If there is a deeper Reason to mix up the two Sung Ils - we will find out in the Future. Honstly - to see it from the Writers View - I kinda believe it is just the Way to get them together. How to let a con man and the Tax collectors meet... you need a entry for that kind of Story. And for sure this way proves Holiday Mother (funny) right in the beginning that Jung Do is capabel to do a lot things.

Sometimes we tend to see a reason and a intrigue in every little scene - sometimes we are right - sometimes the Writer just needed stuff to fill the Story. When I started to watch KDrama I was really surprised to find out that all those Episodes where just filmed - and the Script can be changed. It´s not written in stone like I knew it. (of course there are a few exceptions). I think this is one reason more that we never can trust a Writer and nothing is too predictable - but for Crime and for OCN - thats a given.

I´m not sure - we will see... Right now I don´t feel like there is a deeper meaning hidden in the mistaken character - but I have no complains if there are.

I wonder what kind of man JDs Father once was. His best Friend is at the Police - the name for his Son was meaningful - he is not talking since years (as I guess). Somehow I can believe that he was too on the right side of the Law.

And for Jung Do in the Army - was it just the Service he had to do or was he a real Soldier. Ahh - sorry - I don´t want to say that the others a no real soldiers. I just don´t know how to say it better. I hope you know what I mean. Maybe Jung Do was working when he was catched... But for all that - I need more Information - and I really wish to know more about his Background and Past. bye1 onion head

3 hours ago, MinQi said:

I loved it and crave to see more.. Can't wait to see they gather those people to form a new team. And those tax-evaders better be prepared because they're so gonna get caught by the team...

Looking forward to for friday to see the new episode! :)

ps. The talk about Queen Ant, worker ant and soldier ant just tugged my heart. Somehow its sad to think how unfair the world is, when the rich can easily bend the law just because they got money

pps. How did Jeong Du end up conning the wrong Baek Sung II? He seemed like a person who do his conning job meticulously, how he end up not knowing there is two Baek Sung Il in the department? Hurmmm...

As I just said - maybe its just for the Story - but on the other Hand - actually Jung Do behaves very confident and even arrocant. He don´t look like a Person who believe to do a mistake. Somehow this conning is too easy for him  - if you are overly confident you tend to make a mistake sometimes. Sung Il was this Mistake for him. So - for me it fits.

I too can´t wait to see them working together. .

Guest phi3nk

Yes, the more the merrier.

Though I'm sad that DB won't recap it for another eps, but I'm glad I have all of you here in Soompi. I like reading all your analysis, your predictions. I know this kind of drama never get a ton of fans, but it's nice while we have something to discuss with and dig a lot deeper the whole aspect in the drama. 

In another note, i can't wait for Jung Do and the gang doing working together. The joining of con artist and the tax officer, what would I say?

Jung Do and the gang make an introduction in IG. Haha... they're so funny.

3 hours ago, kdramafan43v3r said:

Oh, I have another theory with the mistaken identity of the tale of two BSI's. what if our mystery Chairman actually meticulously set them (the good BSI & YJD) up to meet? It would be interesting if it actually pans out that way...

I never thought of that. but you could be right. He might've have set up YJD  to be with BSI.. the chairman in prison knows those corrupt officials  in City Hall tax department.

@phi3nk oh that's okay if those folks don't do recap. Several upcoming dramas with big name stars (W, Doctors, UF, The Good Wife) - these are the ones they'll likely do recaps).  The recap is guide and thoughts with  each episode. We got  @bebebisous33  and  @kdramafan43v3r  here.. these two are good analyzing  the drama. We analyze, decipher and dig more in this thread. This drama has a lot of intl fans .

Oh and stepping up to the plate. The real con game begins with episode 3 :D

"I didn't get out of prison for nothing."-  YJD, episode 2

ClWbgnCUkAAFWjq.jpg
Cr: 4why

Of course every action he does, there's got to be something in exchange.  Could be for his father to get out jail.  For get all the wealth of o rich who did something to them? or to avoid and not go back to their situation when 1997 financial crisis happened.

But we see change person when it comes to his father. Aw. 

Below shot is from the scene where he's talking to cop/detective who's a friend of his father.  So again... there's got be something he wants why he's doing the conning people. It's ctually not because "the principle is simple. People are simple" as he said in ep 1.

ClWMutLUYAA4tx9.jpg

ClWbgpTUYAENQj4.jpg

cr: musjo /4why

SIG  ♡♡ And to think this guy is 29 years old. #sorrynotsorry. Just gotta fangirl

.Shotis  from the scene in the convenience store, episode 2

Spoiler

ClUfPFKUgAAMF_A.jpg

RT: "38 Task Force is off with a good start! I like when drama cast "regular ahjussi" as the main character, it makes the drama more relatable" (cr:andiraputri)

Ma Dong Seok is BSI, the tax collector from division 1 tax team of the City Hall.

@kdramafan43ver I remember your previous posts. Tweeps in twtr validates what you've observe. ClSCzM2VAAE_Gmr.jpg

CTO:

1 hour ago, jongski said:

"I didn't get out of prison for nothing."-  YJD, episode 2

Of course every action he does, there's got to be something in exchange.  Could be for his father to get out jail.  For get all the wealth of o rich who did something to them? or to avoid and not go back to their situation when 1997 financial crisis happened.

No, YJD was referring to the task given by the Chairman. He needs to punish those who betrayed him. 

As for the question: After meeting Baek Sung Il, YJD will change because he will do it for justice. So far, his task was about revenge. However, the Chairman did bribe people and did some tax evasion. So he profited from it first. It is just that he became a victim of the official workers.

In my opinion, YJD will change as he will realise that his cons weren't targetting the real baddies: the rich who uses their money and power to force poor people to live a miserable life and the real corrupted official workers (the higher-ups and mayor CGS)  

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

No, YJD was referring to the task given by the Chairman. He needs to punish those who betrayed him. 

As for the question: After meeting Baek Sung Il, YJD will change because he will do it for justice. So far, his task was about revenge. However, the Chairman did bribe people and did some tax evasion. So he profited from it first. It is just that he became a victim of the official workers.

In my opinion, YJD will change as he will realise that his cons weren't targetting the real baddies: the rich who uses their money and power to force poor people to live a miserable life and the real corrupted official workers (the higher-ups and mayor CGS)  

@kdramafan43v3r @bebebisous33 I was thinking ( and perhaps wishing) there's something more than just following the task given to him by the Chairman. Something more deep. In episode 1,  He narrated about  how everyone became different  after the financial crisis. Everyone's obsession with money and why he con people.  The reason why he's out of prison.  Was it the Chairman who made it possible for him to be released? so basically YJD  the tool of the chairman. So..I'm still unsure. if chairman is good or bad.... but probably good?

Have anyone shared this yet?

Trans [by sonexstella]: Next week is more entertaining. The week after next is even more entertaining. The week after that is even more entertaining. #38PoliceSquad #CheonSunghee #ChoiSooyoung #Investigator

Btw, do you realized that the cars YJD drives have no airbag? 

41 minutes ago, jongski said:

@kdramafan43v3r @bebebisous33 I was thinking ( and perhaps wishing) there's something more than just following the task given to him by the Chairman. Something more deep. In episode 1,  He narrated about  how everyone became different  after the financial crisis. Everyone's obsession with money and why he con people.  The reason why he's out of prison.  Was it the Chairman who made it possible for him to be released? so basically YJD  the tool of the chairman. So..I'm still unsure. if chairman is good or bad.... but probably good?

I don't think, he needed the Chairman to teach people some lessons through his cons. HE did it before being sent to prison  and before meeting the Chairman therefore CSH said that she had learnt something. CSH was conned by YJD and to me, it appears that YJD has always conned people in order to punish "evil" people, to teach them some lessons. But what he told to MJ, I really believe, it is related to the Chairman's task.

I don't think, the Chairman is good. He is just using YJD in order to get revenged. I don't think, he feels remorse for what he did in the past (bribing and tax evasion). No, he is just mad that he had been betrayed. He must have always considered the official workers as lower than him, but he was wrong. Actually, he is just a Queen ant who will be used until she is too old and after that, a new Queen ant is selected. In the end, the Chairman works in order to earn money, but a lot of it goes to the pockets to the corrupted official workers. The latter are only reaping what the Chairman is creating. To me, the corrupted official workers are more like parasits in the end. They profit from the rich, but they are powerful enough to take down a rich person too.

Guest dramacf

I prefer that the Chairman be in the gray area rather being purely bad...With YJD's character I don't think he will just follow whatever the mystery Chairman tells him to do. Either he owes something to the Chairman or the Chairman promised him something in return...cos with YJD, it would be unbelievable that he cons those people in the list out of the goodness of his heart for the Chairman's sake...

It would be awesome if whoever gets to end up as the main big bad would invoke/get sympathy from the viewers... *coughs* Lee Joon Young (IRY) *coughs* if that turns out to be our mystery chairman then that proves how truly skilled the writer is...

37 minutes ago, kdramafan43v3r said:

I prefer that the Chairman be in the gray area rather being purely bad...With YJD's character I don't think he will just follow whatever the mystery Chairman tells him to do. Either he owes something to the Chairman or the Chairman promised him something in return...cos with YJD, it would be unbelievable that he cons those people in the list out of the goodness of his heart for the Chairman's sake...

It would be awesome if whoever gets to end up as the main big bad would invoke/get sympathy from the viewers... *coughs* Lee Joon Young (IRY) *coughs* if that turns out to be our mystery chairman then that proves how truly skilled the writer is...

It's also what I'm thinking. When he said 'I didn't get out prison for nothing' there's gotta be an exchange of something there.

Would we see the chairman out of jail? same with the father? Will he continue to give instructions to YJD? But I'm still puzzled about his father being in prison but YJD was also in prison but he was released.

Oh yeah, I remember psycho guy in IRY. We still don't know who is the mysterious chairman. Could the mastermind but also the one who can do damage to corrupt

I mean could do damage  and expose corrupt officials like CSG

47 minutes ago, kdramafan43v3r said:

That´s for sure. Money rules the World - so I guess he will be well paid for it - or he got something else he needed. But there is no way he would just help because he was asked.

Don´t remind me on IRY - It´s always complicated when a Victim changed later to become the culprit. (And when he looks good... thats more complicated :D )

Archived