[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Love at Seventeen 我和我的十七歲

tompark

@phikyl : I think Shu Lei will come around later, once she doesn't really think Alice is the rival for getting Peter/Ming Han's affection (yeah, her only rival is her own self. If she is more humble and manage to see that not every guy is blinded by beauty and prefer good character over exterior quality, I think she might made Peter fall for her the second time)

For Alice, I believe that Hao Yi could make up for the lost 13 years and create new (and better) memories with her while Alice is being amnesiac. Later, when her memories came back, I think Alice might try to separate herself from Hao Yi like 13 years back only know she has concrete reason to stay away (she knows that if she stays with HY, the guy might be also in danger). But unlike the past, Hao Yi won't simply let her disappear from his life...

ps. Peter doesn't seems happy when Alice mentioned his chinese name during the meeting, when I see the preview for ep7. Apart from Hao Yi, I don't think other people knows that she is suffering amnesia, so Peter might think Alice just want to mess with him because Alice is the only person who know that he wanted to seek revenge on Shu Lei

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@MinQi Yeah. Right now I’m just upset with Shu Lei for being a terrible friend to Alice. Lol! I’m sure that’s where this Peter storyline is going though. The problem lies with Peter there. As of right now he’s only interested in Alice, so it will be interesting to see how Shu Lei decides to go about getting Peter’s attention. Granted, she'd have it a whole lot easier if she hadn't been so awful to him back in school. She's got a long road ahead of her. :P

Another concrete reason that Alice might try to stay away from Hao Yi after she gets her memories back is that she still thinks he’s only sticking around her because of his company. Hao Yi didn’t get to completely clear that misunderstanding up with her before she went into surgery so that’s what I think will cause them to “break up” [or whatever you want to call it] later. I agree that Hao Yi won’t let her just disappear from his life again though. Every monologue he has regarding Alice is about keeping her in his life, no matter what, so he wouldn’t let her disappear again unless he intended to disappear with her.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think Peter is going to figure it out pretty quickly though. 17 year old Alice is extremely different from 30 year old Alice, at least when it comes to everything but Hao Yi. Peter has known Alice for the entire 13 years that the girls and Hao Yi were out of her life and he’s intelligent so it wouldn’t surprise me if he figures out that something is up and confronts Hao Yi about it. 

Viki finally has 100% subs!

Anyone else think that 30 year old Hao Yi is going to make 30 year old Alice fall for him again before she gets her memories back?

Edited to add: Longer preview

Hello Team "Love at Seventeen". I'm new to the site and have appreciated reading through everyone's comments on the show.  I'm happy I found you, because I have been looking for a group that want to discuss/dissect and enjoy.... so here goes my .02$

1). I think that the only real friend  Ai Li Si has is Peter.  At Seventeen in Highschool he experienced first hand her kindness and loyalty.  Even though he was on the outside of her circle of "friends" she treated him like he was of value. He was there during the "tent" episode and didn't waver- even revealed the truth in front of everyone.  He has been caring for her for the past 13 years and doesn't want her to get hurt again.  I think Peter is discovering his deeper feelings for Ai Li Si with the advent HYY back in the picture.  I think that HYY will have a further tough time getting through to AiLi Si....with Peter in the picture as events unfold and she regains her memories.  I also think Peter knows what happened to change her.

2) regarding what happened.  I would be disappointed if what changed her was just the betrayal of her friends.  At first, I suspected that something terrible had happened to her mother.  That's why she was working on a "cure" non stop like a "machine" every effort / money time and emotion directed to something huge.  However, we saw in the last episode that her mother seemed to be OK.  Kind of disappointed me b/c I'm struggling with the whole friends betrayal being the driving force to the massive change in her personality.  Can anyone think or comment what that "event" could be?

3). Regarding HYY, Swimmer Girl (Love that) and bratty sister.  I'm disappointed with HYY.  He has never called out the two babes hard enough with their meanness. He tolerates the comments, and the behavior from them yet is so loving to AiLiSi.  Knowing how they will inevitably treat her he takes her to his sisters house.  Why not arrange an hotel/apartment/safe house?.  Isn't he supposed to be some corporate hot shot?  I known this is Dramaland so things happen the way they happen.  I have no time for SG and the bratty sister.  I think as Ai LiSi regains her memory, she will feel great betrayal from HYY as she will remember that he didn't trust her, believe in her when he should have, didn't support her when her friends turned on her, and wants her research.  He is going to have his work cut out for him

i like Lego Lee, and want him to end up with Ai Li Si.  However, I want him to be more sorry for what happened than he is right now.  

@kismet22 Welcome! I’m glad you like to dissect the show as much as I do because now I won’t have to feel so alone! Lol

1: I’m inclined to agree with you about Peter but I want to see how he reacts to her memory loss. I’m certain Peter is going to be the first, other than Hao Yi, to figure out about Alice’s memory loss and I want to see how he reacts in relation to that. Either way, Peter is definitely the best friend Alice could have come across. Even when he couldn’t do anything to protect her back in high school, he still stood by her and that counts for a lot.

2: I have to admit that just her friends’ betrayal being the cause of her change would disappoint me as well but I haven’t been able to come up with another explanation as of yet. Alice’s mother could still be sick. Her research is supposed to be stem cell research and that could potentially be used for a lot of things, including cheating death; in theory. I think that’s why the project is termed “Lazarus” by some. Here is a link to info on the Lazarus phenomenon for those who don’t know. I think that’s where the bad guys are headed with this: sell the research to the rich for profit, instead of helping those who need it. What I wonder is what kind of event happened to Alice to make her want to research ways to cheat death? That might be the clue linked to her past and her personality change. It can't be the brain tumor though because that's a recent discovery for her. 

3: You have to remember that HY is the youngest. I think it’s a cultural thing for the youngest to not really be able to speak against their elders. Plus Hao Yi doesn’t know any more than the girls do about what really happened in high school. The difference is that he loves Alice and is more willing to let things slide as long as she’s fine now and in his life. I’m also willing to give him a bit of a pass about the events of 13 years ago. Alice and Hao Yi were better friends than even the two girls and Alice were so that “betrayal” had to hit him even harder than it hit the girls. Even still, he tried to go meet Alice on that day but his hesitation caused him to miss the timing. That’s why as an adult, he’s so adamant about not missing his timing with Alice now. He can’t change the past but he’ll do whatever it takes in the present to be with her.

I think he doesn’t take her to a safe house because she has no memory. She doesn’t know who is after her and neither does he, so being alone in a safe house would be even more dangerous. Either way, Alice would have to deal with the reality of the rift between her and her best friends at some point so I think it’s better for her to deal with it in a place where she does have some emotional support [from HY].

I think HY feels more sorry about the way things played out in high school than he lets on. If he didn't, why would he spend 13 years looking for a girl that supposedly betrayed him? I agree that when Alice regains her memories, she will probably push him away though. That’s almost inevitable.

Loved your  response!  You've given me  "food for thought". 

1). We are on the same page regarding Peter.  He will be on top of the list that figures out Ai Li Si has lost her memory.  In the long preview version of next weeks episode  we see him confessing to his "real" identity/name.  Also, HYY tells Ai Li Si to be very careful at the office, and to stay away from Peter.  Also  a fight between Peter and HYY.  Can't wait...

2) really liked your pickup on The Lazarus Project.  Were you surprised that she seemed clueless about the "name" or the employee awareness of her work?  I think the CEO has a hidden heart condition.  There is a scene where he is talking to the chauffeur and he's taking pills.  

3) I appreciate your comments on the traditional roles of elders etc.  however he is a male, and the only one within those families (SG and Ai Li Si) he is the golden heir.  What I hope is that at some point, there is a comment from him to the girls that says, " we should have trusted her."  In episode 1 we see HYY as a very young and self reliant teen going after his mother and sister ready to right a wrong.  He even set up Ai Li Si with the smoking incident as payment.  So, today I see him as more of a conformist and not as one to make right a wrong from his own sister...and SG pulling on his ear and telling him to stay away or he will get hurt.  He doesn't respond which I find frustrating 

i don't buy that he has been looking for her for 13 years.  Taiwan is not huge, Ai Li Si is a unique name he would have found her.  He had a college girlfriend, Amanda...I think he had regrets and when in Taipei memories would surface but nothing more.  After all, he didn't go to the meet up bc he was afraid that she would tell him that she didn't love him, and the other two didn't go bc after a summer of radio silence, they where all still punishing her.  I guess that overall, after the summer apart and time for reflection they weren't able to appreciate Ai Li Si's true nature and seek an explanation 

You're  right he's sorry, and giving him a pass is the right thing- 

excited to discuss next week with you.  

2. I’m not surprised that Alice seemed clueless about the name being significant to her research because her 30 year old self doesn’t seem the type to read much literature outside of Naruto or scientific articles that relate to her research. If you aren’t specifically looking for “Lazarus” it’s not something that’s easy to connect the dots to because it’s not exactly scientific. I only recognized the term because I’d come across some articles about the Lazarus effect before; but it was pure chance.  If the CEO has a hidden heart condition, you would think he’d be eager for Alice to give her research to a large company like Capital. They could review and duplicate her work far faster than anyone else could, which would get possible cures out quicker as well. I don’t know. I need/want to see more about the bad guys as well as Alice’s past. Hopefully they’ll shed some light on both things soon.

3. True. Being from the West, I sometimes forget the male>all mentality that’s prevalent in the East. That’s an oversight on my part. He has made some comments about how the girls should give Alice a chance in the present though, even if he hasn’t refuted their statements about her yet. Like I said, he doesn’t know any more than the girls do about what really happened back in high school so it doesn’t surprise me that he doesn’t outright say things like “we should have trusted her.” I think HY trusts her but he sees where his sister and SG are coming from, so while he does everything he can to make them talk to Alice, he probably won’t outright tell them off until he learns for himself what happened back then.

That’s assuming 2 things though: 1. Alice continued going by Ai Li Si and didn’t start going by a moniker like Peter does. We don’t know when Alice started going by “A.I” like she does on her research papers. It could have started right after she changed schools. 2. Alice stayed in Taiwan. Everything we know about Alice switching schools and not being heard from after that is from Hao Yi’s point of view. We haven’t seen Alice’s side of the story yet, but I’m assuming we’ll probably get to see it as she regains her memories. So Alice may not have even stayed in Taiwan after that. Either way, HY’s family doesn’t look like a rich one to me so this would be a 17 year old kid trying to search for someone on his own. Of course he wouldn’t find her.

I’m not sure when high school ends for Taiwanese students so I’m going to have to go by what I know of Korean standards here and say age 20. That would be HY going to college 3 years after Alice disappeared and he hasn’t been able to find any trace of her. I am not surprised that at that point he would try to find someone to fill the gap that was left by Alice. HY doesn’t even know if he’ll ever be able to find her so I can’t expect him to just wait around and not move on with his life.

I’m excited about next week too and I hope they pick up the pace with her regaining her memories. I expect some of the last memories that she will regain will be about the reason behind the girls, HY, and Alice not being friends anymore though. By that point she and HY will probably be close again and that would be a convenient way to create a rift between them.

@SuperNastar I just got home from work a little bit ago. Watching with subs right now. :sweatingbullets: 

Or should I say, replaying the first 20 mins over and over..... Keep getting interrupted. Lol!

4 hours ago, phikyl said:

@SuperNastar I just got home from work a little bit ago. Watching with subs right now. :sweatingbullets: 

Or should I say, replaying the first 20 mins over and over..... Keep getting interrupted. Lol!

where do you watch it with engsub? viki?? haha.. over and over agaiiiinn *sing*

spoiler pleaseeeee ^^

viki only has 40 something % :(

i think, the subbers are really busy now. hmm... hope tomorrow would be 100% :D

@SuperNastar Yeah, Viki. That's why I still haven't commented yet. 41% subs...Not nearly enough to know what's going on. ./sigh

Fingers crossed the subbers have time to finish it tomorrow. It's kind of sad that RM was 100% in a few hours when L@17 has been up for days and is still only at 41%. :(

So I don't know who else here is still waiting for Viki subs but according to the subbing team, they're having technical difficulties with using Viki itself and that's why the subs are taking so long.

I guess that means I'll be watching tomorrow and commenting here regardless of how far the subs are since the new episode airs on Sat morning my time...

100% subs on Viki finally!

So it's not that a lot didn't happen this episode but that there's no time for a real discussion before the new episode airs in a few hours. Considering that, I'll keep this pretty short. 

Looks like Hao Yi got a taste of what married life with Alice could be like didn't he? All the scenes between them were really sweet. I really liked his gesture of cramming 13 years into one "date" so that she would feel more comfortable being 30 year old Alice. My favorite line this episode was definitely the "do you want the truth or a lie" that came from Hao Yi. I think it was Ninja's recap that I read saying that Hao Yi is still acting like his 17 year old self and for this episode, I both agree and disagree. There are ways that he still acts 17, such as when he and Alice are having the water fight, and the brawl with Peter; but there are also ways that he's acting very much the adult. It looks like that might change a bit in the next episode and that his old wounds from Alice are finally going to open up and affect their current relationship. 

I feel bad for Alice because she has to deal with the pain of losing her friends twice but Hao Yi had a point. If he had just told her that she and the girls are no longer friends, Alice would never have believed him. Hao Yi's double intention behind keeping Alice away from Peter had me laughing. He doesn't just want Alice to stay away from Peter because of the memory loss; he wants Alice away from Peter out of jealousy too. Lol!

I always love Peter's snark towards swimmer girl but I loved it even more-so this episode. SG had the chance to show Peter that she didn't care about the past him and was still interested in the current him, but she didn't. That's her loss. I will admit that the Peter/SG relationship started to get really interesting to me here. What can I say? I'm a sucker for the fighting-to-love type relationships!

I was actually really surprised that Peter outed Alice in front of everyone this episode but I'm willing to give him a pass because he was kept in the dark about the danger Alice is in right now. 

Questions I had after watching:

Did Hao Yi figure out who the culprit is? I thought he did but then when they were in the office dealing with the CEO, it seemed like he hadn't figured it out yet so I'm a little confused.

Who is Mr. Hunter and why exactly does he want Alice's notes? What's so special about these notes anyways?! Everyone wants to get their hands on them!

As for the preview: What's the secret Peter knows that will mean Alice might not want to get her memories back?

What triggers Hao Yi's blow up on Alice about how she betrayed them and they're not close friends? He's been doing everything he can to get close to her again and that blow up could turn all his hard work into dust; especially since Alice doesn't remember anything so she can't even defend herself about the supposed betrayal. 

@phikylhave you watched the latest episode??? why everyone seems so hard on Alice. i mean, can somebody there understand that she lost her memory and need time to recover? why blame someone who forgets everything?? ught... i saw the preview and felt so bad for her.. that's why coming here asking for spoiler, haha.. :P

this drama is slow rhythm actually... yups, typical taiwanese dramas... yet im curious. aaagghhtt.. i hope peter would do something. can they just run away? haha sorry la hao yi, but seriously... he has no power over the sisters... huft.

@SuperNastar Yeah. I watch the episodes raw as soon as they come out, I just don't like to comment before there are subs because I have no idea what any of the conversations are about. Lol!

I kind of understand why they're hard on her because they're right: she forgot her memory, but they didn't. What I don't like is that everyone is piling a ton of guilt on Alice for her supposed betrayal when none of them know the complete truth because they didn't give Alice a chance to explain before deciding not to be friends with her anymore.

The preview is making me feel bad too. It looked like even Hao Yi turns on her in the next episode and I'm not liking that because, right now, Alice thinks of Hao Yi as her only true friend. He is her friend, of course, but he has his own wounds inflicted on him by her that he needs to work through. Being around Alice all the time before he's dealt with his own issues is probably not helping Hao Yi right now... 

I usually don't mind the rhythm of a show being slow but we're over halfway through now! Something needs to happen! 

i've watched it @phikylwith sub. ah... im loving Hao Yi. aaaahh really really really love him, haha. i thought he would leave alice, but nope, he's there for her. aaahh he's such a sweet guy..

guys, ep 8 is really good. but Peter is good too but not as good as Hao Yi. i don't know which girl he loves actually. Lei lei or Alice. in the preview for ep 9, it seems like he has 'something' with Lei Lei. aiyooo... but in the other hand, it seems like he likes Alice, but i guess, it's more like friendship.

love this drama <3

ps : anyone watch Les Interpretes? it's pretty good too ^^

Archived