[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Love at Seventeen 我和我的十七歲

tompark

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, phikyl said:

@dekaron Yeah, I admit I could be wrong about the time travel but the synopsis literally says she "wakes up one day to find she has returned to her 17 year old self" which implies time travel. I know they write these ahead of time though so it could be completely off. 

I too am completely miffed that they pulled the sickness card. It's early in the game and there's plenty of plot to work with still, they didn't need it. :crazy: Maybe we'll get lucky and it's a mis-diagnosis that allows our leads to get closer again. If they go the route of "The Way We Were," I'm going to be pissed. At least that one I expected it because of the title...

Actually, there's no time travel involved. The chinese synopsis is that she undergoes surgery and wakes up with her memories only up to when she's 17. She tries to get help from her friends but realizes that they are no longer her friends and she has also changed after 13 years. So basically about a second chance for her.

I had thought that the story would begin with her waking up from her surgery and that the high school years would all be flashbacks but I guess the director wanted to give us the backstory first. 

17 minutes ago, lolly said:

Actually, there's no time travel involved. The chinese synopsis is that she undergoes surgery and wakes up with her memories only up to when she's 17. She tries to get help from her friends but realizes that they are no longer her friends and she has also changed after 13 years. So basically about a second chance for her.

I had thought that the story would begin with her waking up from her surgery and that the high school years would all be flashbacks but I guess the director wanted to give us the backstory first. 

Ohhhh! So it's a case of mis-translation! Thanks for clearing that up for me. :D 

I don't mind this second chance route either. I wonder how Hao Yi will react when he realizes she doesn't have any memories past age 17. No doubt he'll keep pursuing her but it will be interesting to see how he changes the relationship now that he realizes what it's like to be without Alice. She might not remember what it was like to be without her friends [still hate swimmer girl and don't want Alice to be friends with her again] but HY will definitely not want to repeat being without Alice for another 13 years. I guess the future angst will be that she gets her memories back at some point. 

I don't mind that the director gave us a few episodes of backstory instead of just flashbacks. That way we got to see what the friendship was like before all the drama/surgery without it becoming too confusing for us as to why her friends are acting this way towards her. It's enough that Alice is going to be confused, don't need to confuse the viewers too. Lol!

Since this is the route they're going, I hope the surgery happens in the next episode so we can see how all the relationships play out. This drama is only 15 episodes after all; so we're already almost 1/3 through it and haven't gotten to the main plot yet!

Have a question for you guys. The chase scene at the beginning of episode 1, where HY is monologuing about how he's chasing after Alice just like in the past and how he still can't catch her after 13 years, has that happened in the adult scenes yet? Is that part of the time when he's chasing after Alice when she's trying to catch the pudding truck or is it a possible future chase scene to link the first and possibly last episode?

2 hours ago, lolly said:

thank youuu lolly. i was so scared that there would be any time travel, ught... thank God, it's not. xie xie ^^

2 hours ago, phikyl said:

Have a question for you guys. The chase scene at the beginning of episode 1, where HY is monologuing about how he's chasing after Alice just like in the past and how he still can't catch her after 13 years, has that happened in the adult scenes yet? Is that part of the time when he's chasing after Alice when she's trying to catch the pudding truck or is it a possible future chase scene to link the first and possibly last episode?

my question too. and i wonder, how Hao Yi would react to this. i hope both HY and Peter would be there for her. and i can't stand looking at her trying to 'fix' while knowing nothing about how everything changed in this past 13 years. they would look at her and aagghhtt... poor alice. just can't imagine it. aah, i seriously can't wait for next episode. i love legoooo so much now :flushed:

18 minutes ago, SuperNastar said:

i hope both HY and Peter would be there for her. and i can't stand looking at her trying to 'fix' while knowing nothing about how everything changed in this past 13 years. they would look at her and aagghhtt... poor alice.

I can imagine Alice's face when she finds out that her friends are no longer her friends. It's going to be painful to watch her go through that again. No doubt HY and Peter will stay by her but will she remember that she and Peter are friends? They're close in the pre-surgery present but they didn't really start talking until Alice found out that Peter was the one sending gifts to swimmer girl. 

Agreed on Lego. Didn't know who he was before this but have now watched another of his dramas and put all the others on my plan to watch list. Would have already started watching them but I got sidetracked by DotS.

4 hours ago, lolly said:

Its actually a very sensible use of illness plot

@phikyl @SuperNastar No problem ^^

I actually like that we got the backstory before her surgery too because we got to see things from Hao Yi's perspective. I assume flashbacks will be from Alice's perspective after she loses her memory.

I don't want Alice to become friends with her "friends" again either, I don't think they deserve her as a friend. But knowing Alice's personality at 17, she'll forgive them readily. I wonder if they'll show us that they did try to look for her after she disappeared or something to try to redeem them.

Peter keeps mentioning an "incident" with Alice though, it sounds like something bad happened to her on the day she texted everyone to meet her which caused her to transfer schools and become cold to everyone around her.

21 hours ago, dekaron said:

Its actually a very sensible use of illness plot

Now that I've been corrected on the actual translation of the plot synopsis, I agree. Before I thought it was just something thrown in there but now that I understand that it's what causes our heroine to regress to age 17 I'm actually kind of excited to see how it all works out. :)

1 hour ago, lolly said:

@phikyl @SuperNastar No problem ^^

I actually like that we got the backstory before her surgery too because we got to see things from Hao Yi's perspective. I assume flashbacks will be from Alice's perspective after she loses her memory.

I don't want Alice to become friends with her "friends" again either, I don't think they deserve her as a friend. But knowing Alice's personality at 17, she'll forgive them readily. I wonder if they'll show us that they did try to look for her after she disappeared or something to try to redeem them.

Peter keeps mentioning an "incident" with Alice though, it sounds like something bad happened to her on the day she texted everyone to meet her which caused her to transfer schools and become cold to everyone around her.

I highly doubt that the two girls ever tried looking for her. If they did, Hao Yi would have known about it and they probably would have combined their efforts to find her. 

Oh no! I didn't even think of that! I was thinking that the "incident" was just referring to the misunderstanding about Alice and the drunk kid in the tent. I just thought that the reason she transferred schools was that her friends had been ignoring her for an unknown amount of time [possibly weeks as someone mentioned earlier. Maybe Ninja in the recap?] and her asking them to come to where the time capsule was buried was her last attempt to mend bridges.

HY says that he went to Alice's house too though and that she wasn't there anymore so I wonder why she moved. I doubt she and her mom would pack up and move just because of the mis-understanding at school but the timing probably drove the wedge between Alice and Hao Yi deeper since he couldn't find her. 

21 hours ago, phikyl said:

Oh no! I didn't even think of that! I was thinking that the "incident" was just referring to the misunderstanding about Alice and the drunk kid in the tent. I just thought that the reason she transferred schools was that her friends had been ignoring her for an unknown amount of time [possibly weeks as someone mentioned earlier. Maybe Ninja in the recap?] and her asking them to come to where the time capsule was buried was her last attempt to mend bridges.

HY says that he went to Alice's house too though and that she wasn't there anymore so I wonder why she moved. I doubt she and her mom would pack up and move just because of the mis-understanding at school but the timing probably drove the wedge between Alice and Hao Yi deeper since he couldn't find her. 

Maybe I'm just overthinking things, probably watched too many dramas, haha

When I watched the episode I thought that her texting them was not too long after the camping trip so I didn't understand why she would disappear over the misunderstanding because even if they didn't show up that one time I would think she'd try again. I think the camping trip was a year end thing so they were on summer vacation after and when HY missed meeting Alice on that day, he thought that maybe things would be back to normal after a couple of months and didn't look for her until he realized she had transferred.

12 minutes ago, lolly said:

I think the camping trip was a year end thing so they were on summer vacation after and when HY missed meeting Alice on that day, he thought that maybe things would be back to normal after a couple of months and didn't look for her until he realized she had transferred.

Yeah, that's what his voiceover said. I'm leaning towards it being the middle of the vacation when the time capsule missed meetup happened because when Hao Yi asks the girls if they haven't talked to Alice since the camping trip, they say they haven't talked to her "in a long time".

I still think Alice and her mom were probably about to move houses at that point and Alice knew that if she didn't try to explain things then, she probably wouldn't have a chance to in the future. Of course, neither the girls nor Hao Yi knows this when they don't show up to hear Alice's explanations...

i can't wait tomorrow's episode. Just saw the last post at their official facebook mention that Alice will be in coma for 3 years (i think so, sorry my chinese ain't good) and wake up and only remember up to age 17 years old memories!!! Which means she go missing again and Hao Yi sure go insane again! 

53 minutes ago, visiopeia said:

i can't wait tomorrow's episode. Just saw the last post at their official facebook mention that Alice will be in coma for 3 years (i think so, sorry my chinese ain't good) and wake up and only remember up to age 17 years old memories!!! Which means she go missing again and Hao Yi sure go insane again! 

3 years?!?! Holy....Why?!?! What the heck?! I don't understand the narrative purpose of that when they could have her just wake up immediately with no memories...

Anybody have any ideas for why they would add another 3 year time jump???

@visiopeia It's ok that your Chinese isn't good, I can't read any of it and have to rely on google translate [which sucks. Lol!]

On 5/6/2016 at 9:40 PM, phikyl said:

Yeah, that's what his voiceover said. I'm leaning towards it being the middle of the vacation when the time capsule missed meetup happened because when Hao Yi asks the girls if they haven't talked to Alice since the camping trip, they say they haven't talked to her "in a long time".

I still think Alice and her mom were probably about to move houses at that point and Alice knew that if she didn't try to explain things then, she probably wouldn't have a chance to in the future. Of course, neither the girls nor Hao Yi knows this when they don't show up to hear Alice's explanations...

Hmm.. that makes sense, I guess we'll see what happens when she gets back her memories

On 5/6/2016 at 10:23 PM, visiopeia said:

I didn't see anything mention a coma, but if a time jump actually occurs that would be pretty stupid narratively

Since this episode focused a lot on the couples, I’m going to do the same.

Episode 5 Spoilers incoming

Alice & Hao Yi: From the drunk scene it’s clear that Alice is still extremely hurt about what happened in high school. When she and HY are talking [when she’s drunk] Alice says that she “doesn’t want it.” What doesn’t she want? I don’t understand that bit but she says it multiple times. I’m glad that HY told Alice that he wouldn’t give up on her though. It seems like it’s just what she needs to hear for the ice to thaw. I know that Peter thinks that his sincerity finally got through to Alice and that’s what made her thaw out a bit but I think that it’s because of HY. HY is definitely the reason behind the first smile we’ve seen from adult Alice so that’s why I think he’s the real driving force behind her thaw. It seems that just as HY never forgot his feelings for Alice, Alice also did not forget her feelings for HY. All of those pent up feelings are coming to the surface now that Alice knows she’s literally staring death in the face.

On that note, I absolutely loved Alice’s monologue during the bungee jump! Also, when Alice asked how long HY planned to follow her, I half expected him to say “forever.” Lol! He did imply that he would follow her forever though when he said that if she was going to disappear he’d hold on and disappear with her. We got lots of indirect confessions like that this episode; mostly from HY. The very last one was super cute though!

Peter & Swimmer Girl: Swimmer girl has still not earned any of my respect so the moniker is staying. I absolutely could not care less about this couple. I really like Peter and I hope that he gets his happy ending [though not with Alice obviously] but at this point, I don’t want it to be with SG; nor do I want SG to get a happy ending. She’s so vindictive in this episode! It made me so angry just watching her interactions with Alice so I really love that Peter isn’t bending over backwards for her like the rest of the male population apparently does. His interaction with SG when she was drunk made me wonder if Peter still has buried feelings for SG, even though he tells her that he likes Alice.

General Notes: I couldn’t believe that all of Alice’s co-workers automatically sided with SG. I swear my lip curled in disgust. SG is the outsider there; the brand new worker who knows nothing about the goings on in the lab. I don’t care if Alice isn’t close to her co-workers, there’s no excuse for them ganging up on her like that!

Preview: It looks like episode 6 will be the one to bring us back to the chase monologue from the beginning of episode 1. I’m kind of excited to see what brings HY back to that point and how similar it will be to the chase scene when they first met in high school. So Alice gets an offer from HY’s company to go work for them but it seems to me that maybe she turned them down and that’s why they sent guys after her? Or maybe she decided to leave her current company and the current company is the one who sent guys after her. I can’t remember if the guy we saw in the preview is someone we’ve seen before or not…

Questions:

What exactly does Peter mean when he says that he and Alice are the same? They have some similarities but they’re still very different. Peter seems to want revenge on SG while Alice is obviously uncomfortable with seeing him mess with SG, even though they’re not friends anymore.

Why does hard liquor not affect Alice? And how exactly does HY know that Alice won’t get drunk unless she mixes her liquor? Maybe this talent of hers relates back to the tent scene? She may have started a drinking contest with the guy to make sure that he wouldn’t be getting SG drunk.

Did HY understand that Alice was implying she might die soon when they went bungee jumping? Even if he didn’t, will he find out about her tumor? Will Alice be the one to tell him or will he find out on his own?

Was the talk of disappearing together just supposed to be a roundabout way for HY to tell Alice his feelings or is it foreshadowing that they will disappear together in the future?

Lastly, what is HY looking at during the last few minutes when he says “goodnight” to Alice? Is it a picture of her? Maybe one of them together in high school?

New teaser? Wish I could understand what they're saying! Looks like Alice gets the operation next episode though. 

On 5/10/2016 at 9:21 PM, phikyl said:

New teaser? Wish I could understand what they're saying! Looks like Alice gets the operation next episode though. 

Here's a rough translation of the preview

HHY: There isn't a second chance for everything

ALS: Saturday morning, I'll wait for you guys where we buried the time capsule

ALS: I've figured out what I need to do to you, so I don't feel regret

HHY: Alice, I'm only asking this of you, don't disappear from my life

ALS: HHY, jia you

I can't tell if she's actually going to get the operation or if she's just being brought to the hospital cause she got hurt. 

3 minutes ago, lolly said:

Here's a rough translation of the preview

HHY: There isn't a second chance for everything

ALS: Saturday morning, I'll wait for you guys where we buried the time capsule

ALS: I've figured out what I need to do to you, so I don't feel regret

HHY: Alice, I'm only asking this of you, don't disappear from my life

ALS: HHY, jia you

I can't tell if she's actually going to get the operation or if she's just being brought to the hospital cause she got hurt. 

Thank you! 

It looked to me like the hospital portion could be after HY gives her the hug. So maybe Alice collapsed at her house while HY was there and he rushed her to the hospital? She was practically doubled over with pain the day after her drinking session with Swimmer girl too. It looked like she had just held it in until HY was out the door because it's been 13 years since she let anyone get close to her. To Alice, showing pain to an "outsider" would be a sign of weakness. :(

So far, I'm loving the drama :)

To be honest, when I first read the synopsis I was confused with story. I actually though Alice/Ai Li Si time traveled and go back to year 2003 where she was 17. But then eventually the drama actually fast forwarded 13 years (after half episode 3) and show us the cold-version Alice who is not well-like by her colleague and have no close friends.

Seriously though, I wonder what actually happen to Alice until she become the person who is now. It's a pity that the heartwarming person she was in beginning of the series, end up being so cold like that. But I'm glad now Hao Yi is back in her life, so they could re-patch their relationship or maybe they could start anew.

ps. Seems that Shu Lei still have her 'Queen' mentality and Peter will be the one who will 'tame' her..

@MinQi I was confused about that too because that's the way the English synopsis is translated. I would have still started the show if I didn't think it was about time travel but I would have had different expectations about the beginning episodes. 

I'm glad someone else is still in this thread though. I wasn't going to post anything this week because there's no discussion going on in here so I thought everyone was gone. [No fun talking to yourself. Lol!] 

I'm curious what happened to Alice as well. Of course now that she's lost her memories we might have a chance of seeing what happened to make her that way; through flashbacks as she regains her memory. I'm also glad that Hao Yi is back in her life and that he's sticking by her right now. Alice is going to get a real blow next episode when she realizes that the girls are no longer friends with her and she's really going to need Hao Yi for support. :tears: It's still not 100% subbed so I don't know how Peter is going to react to the memory loss but it didn't look good. 

As for Shu Lei, ugh. She continues to irritate me immensely. It looks like Hao Yi's sister is open to the idea of being friends with Alice again but that SL is the one forcing the rift to continue. 

Do you think that Hao Yi staying by Alice right now will make it up to her for 13 years ago or do you think that when Alice regains her memory, she's going to revert to being cold and distant with Hao Yi? 

Archived