[Drama 2016] Yeah, That's How It Is 그래, 그런거야 | 对,就是那样 | SBS @8.45pm KST

-jade-

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally! Teaser for writer Kim Soo Hyun's brand new 'warm' family drama.

그래, 그런거야 1회 1부 

LINK 

LxQrtFr.png

----------------

Translation(of text below vid on SBS webpage:

To remind the importance and value of 'family'.

New weekend drama by writer Kim Soo Hyun, in her language and her philosophy.

'Yeah That's How It Is' to premiere on 2016-2-13!

-------------

ASIAe News: 'Yeah, That's How It Is' - Seo Ji Hye is an elegant english school teacher.

'그래, 그런거야' 서지혜, 입시학원 영어강사로 우아한 첫 수업 시작

CR:As tagged

From the article, it seems that SJH's character is the saddest of all - married but she loses her husband in a plane crash after 2 months, and a week later, loses her MIL. She ends up having to live with FIL and it's been 5 years... 

KOOKJE News: 'Yeah, That's How It Is' Kim Young Hoon to be Yoon So Yi's husband.

Photo

CR:
http://www.kookje.co.kr

김영훈 , 김수현 사단합류… ‘그래 그런거야’ 윤소이 남편役 캐스팅

CR: Newsway

ASIAe News: 'Yeah, That's How It Is' Jo Han Sun as a doctor, on his first day of filming.

김수현 '그래 그런거야' 베일 벗었다…막장 판치는 드라마 판도 뒤집을까

http://stoo.asiae.co.kr

@jadecloud, Thanks chingu for the updates of this drama I'm definitely in, and now I see that my other favorite actress is starring in this drama Wang Ji Hye this is a must see for me. Oh I got the chance to read my other favorite actress role on here stating that SJH is married but her husband died in a plane crash after 2 months of being married. Let alone her MIL also passes away which she ends up living with her FIL. Now that is sad as you mentioned jade and would like to see how SJH will rebound from it all. Lastly" I can't wait to see all the characters in this drama and what each of their roles are going to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for starting the thread, @jadecloud, chingu... And thank you for all the updates and information.

Thank you for the invite. I am so sorry I somehow missed your original shoutout!   kitten-sorry-smiley-emoticon.gif   sad white cloud

And I have been thinking of this drama!

Yes, I am following the Viki channel, and did submit title request forms

What a pleasure to see so many friends here  Smiley      Looks like many of us will just migrate from one thread to the other  happy leaf

I gained a special appreciation for writer Kim Soo Hyun, after watching "A Thousand Days Promise" with @baduy's insights and translations. It was sheer poetry. @ymiss, great to know you loved it too.

The only other drama I have seen from her was "Fireworks" with Lee Young-Ae and Cha In-Pyo.  Still tags at my heart.

I think I am not big on long family drama, but I will certainly give this a try.

About Mom's Dead Upset

Spoiler

Both Viki and DramaFever have potential pages for it. Maybe it would help if we send them sub requests...

https://www.viki.com/tv/618c-moms-dead-upset

https://www.dramafever.com/drama/436/Mom_Has_Grown_Horns/

Requests can also be made to KBS World. Especially since they now started a section on their YouTube of older drama (they call it KBS Classic). Maybe if enough people will ask them, either on their FB page of YT, they will consider bringing it to us.

I am not familiar with many of the actors in this drama, with few exceptions. I'll try to remedy that before the drama starts.

But - Kim Hae-Sook is one of my Korean Actresses/Goddesses.  Love her to pieces. One awesome actress.
I liked Seo Ji-Hye in Punch (and she also received an award for her role there)
Jung Hae-In, I liked him as Lee Hong-Ki young brother in "Bride of the Century."
Wang Ji-Hye I liked in "President"  (one of my favorite Kdrama.)
Hong Yo-Seop I have only seen in "President" too.
And of course, the veteran actors need no introduction:  Lee Soon-Jae, Kang Bu-Ja, Song Seung-Hwan, Yang Hee-Kyung, Song Seung-Hwan,

I do remember Jo Han Sun in "Mask," @ymiss and @jongski. Apparently that was his reunion with Soo Ae.

Spoiler

They acted previously together in "April Kiss"

File:Aprilkiss.jpg

I am loving the teasers.

I think KSH has the finest sense of the subtle tones and range of modern Korean speech of all the Kdrama authors whose work I've come across At least one influential commentator regards her style as "overwritten" and mannered, but I personally don't see -- or hear -- it  that way. True, she is a lot more scrupulous in her use of the language than many of her fellow scriptwriters, but she modulates and individualizes the speech of every single character including the most minor ones, in a distinctive way.  She has written interestingly (not to mention abrasively -- she's a very outspoken and fearless lady) of the struggle she's sometimes had to get script editors to accept the "incorrect" forms and expressions she occasionally deliberately puts into some of her characters' mouths. One of the most delightful things about TDP was that the entire script was published in two handsome volumes through the normal book trade, and they sit, bristling with colored bookmark stickers, on my desk next to my dictionaries and grammars as a constant reference. Following the videos along from those scripts certainly confirms all the stories about her iron insistence that all the performers, no matter how distinguished, must stick to the lines she's written down to the very last syllable -- and also observe the exact tempo she specifies -- her stage directions meticulously mark the verbal equivalent of rests, accelerandos, ritardandos and sforzandos within the actual lines of dialogue. And in her case this insistence is wholly justified, despite the fact that some other writers need -- and routinely get -- their dialogue "improved" by PD's and actors before the shoot.

So I was somewhat upset to discover a few moments ago, when @irilight dropped my handle and brought me over here to see why my cyber ears were tingling, that some people seem to think that the 그래 in the title can be adequately translated by "Yeah".  Millions of Koreans say 그래 in all sorts of contexts where their English speaking counterparts would never dream of saying "Yeah".  Here's hoping that the subbers have a better ear and more adequate sense of how Korean differs from English.  Although it was indeed a TDP subber who produced the classic blooper of saying a character turned as red as a "freshly boiled dog".  개 and 게 admittedly sound the same in the mouths of present-day speakers of Seoul Korean (apart from a few retired professors and some KBS newsreaders) but those speakers do know the difference between a dog and a crab, except maybe when they've overdone the soju, and so should subbers...

I don't think my schedule over the coming weeks will allow me to keep up with this drama in real time closely enough to join in the thread, but I'll certainly archive and marathon it eventually. I hope those with more time to spare in the immediate future will enjoy this show.

Another new drama poster :) 

Photo

CR: SBS

@irilight Thanks chingu for updates. I love the teasers too. Btw, you're not late at all. The drama hasn't started... :P @suchadiva42 so glad you'll be watching this drama too. Been quite a while since we are watching a drama together, huh? I'm still playing catch up on AAMM, WC and BY :crazy: 

@jongski Nam Gyu Ri, your fave actress here, will portray the character of  Lee Na Young, the young sister of Seo Ji Hye's character, teacher Lee Ji Sun, and daughter of Im Ye Jin's character Tae Hee. Lee Na Young is an actress/star-wannabe. 

4 hours ago, baduy said:

So I was somewhat upset to discover a few moments ago, when @irilight dropped my handle and brought me over here to see why my cyber ears were tingling, that some people seem to think that the 그래 in the title can be adequately translated by "Yeah".  Millions of Koreans say 그래 in all sorts of contexts where their English speaking counterparts would never dream of saying "Yeah".  Here's hoping that the subbers have a better ear and more adequate sense of how Korean differs from English.  Although it was indeed a TDP subber who produced the classic blooper of saying a character turned as red as a "freshly boiled dog".  개 and 게 admittedly sound the same in the mouths of present-day speakers of Seoul Korean (apart from a few retired professors and some KBS newsreaders) but those speakers do know the difference between a dog and a crab, except maybe when they've overdone the soju, and so should subbers...

@baduy Welcome chingu :) Sad to hear you won't be able to watch this drama as it airs. Still look forward to your insights whenever you have time to opine. Thanks.

Interesting insight into writer Kim Soo Hyun. It's more or less what I've been reading that were written or covered  about her. I couldn't agree more with the sentiments expressed, whether by you or the others so far. The highlight to me, is that she's a rare breed of kwriters who commands certain respect and obedience in her creative works. In my knowledge of kwriters and kdramas, as limited as it is, and even more limited literacy in korean/hangul, there doesn't seem to be any other kwriter as commanding of respect and obedience as she is. Kudos to her!  

About the title of the drama 그래-그런거야, I don't know enough korean/hangul to offer any educated view. As it is, hangul is a complex language, much like mandarin chinese, where very often, translation of it will not be able to maintain its intrinsic meaning. From what you've expressed, this situation seems to be one such instance. 그래 it seems, could be interpreted as 'Yeah for Yes' or  'So' or 'Well' and so on, as are seen from other translation on the web and on SBS. In the end, I guess the major drama sites came to a consensus, or perhaps one following the other's lead, and hence it ended up as 'Yeah, That's How It Is'. 

As far as looking at it in an angle of the english language, my take on the choice of an informal use of language could be the essence of the drama's theme, that it is supposedly a light-hearted, informal and non-serious (although not as casual either) look, yet with much enthusiasm, at the on-goings of a family and the lives of its members. Also, just like 'Yeah' is used colloquially in informal situations only with family and friends. And then again, not encouraged to be used all the time in view of politeness, seniority, respect and courtesy. I believe the title is applicable likewise, within the context of this family and its members, including its circle of friendly connections, and not to be construed as a standard form of speech. Herein lies the brilliance in writernim Kim. Just her language choice for the drama title alone, serves up thought-provoking fodder. I believe even in its original language, it does. Or perhaps, I'm just kidding myself with '(hangul)ignorance being bliss'? hehe

@gerrytan8063 @seungshin hello chingus with excellent korean/hangul knowledge, if you have time, would love to hear your take. Thanks :P

Yeah That's How It Is 그래, 그런거야' - Yoo Family of 3 Siblings.

Photo

(From R to L)
Jo Han Sun as Yoo Se Hyun/Se Hyeon - Eldest son of Jae Ho & Hye Kyung, Doctor/General Hospital.
Yoon So Yi as Yoo Se Hee/Se Hui - Eldest daughter of Jae Ho & Hye Kyung, Editor of Fashion Magazine.
Jung Hae In as Yoo Se Joon/Se Jun (Jae Ho’s Son) - Youngest son of Jae Ho & Hye Kyung, Part-time student.

CR: SBSnow twitter https://twitter.com/SBSNOW / Baidu Baike / Koreandrama.org

Photo:

Photo:

8 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@jadecloud

Thank you for your invitation......I actually not a daily drama fan, although I have contribute to a few...but the cast looks good....will drop by

5 minutes ago, quockhanh45 said:

That's not daily drama, it's a SBS weekend drama
Ep 0 will star on Ferbuary 7th

@quockhanh45 You're right it's a weekend drama. @gerrytan8063 It's a weekend drama and premieres on 2-13 at 8.45pm KST. :P 

Photo

Archived