[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

18 minutes ago, yongwonhi4jfc said:

So I guess answering @dears 's previous question WS is going to marry YH, unless the writer is intending to deviate from history or delay the marriage until HS dies....which I doubt.

Gwangjong's wiki page: 

YCpFpi1.png

Brace brace for more incoming angst

I think the writers can take advantage of the fact that Wang So had his 1st son in 955 & delay the marriage, Moon Lovers started at the year 941

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, kuanphing said:

marriage proposal are everywhere.. wangsoo to haesoo, yeonhwa to wangsoo, wangyo to yeonhwa.. 

You get a proposal, you get a proposal, you get a proposal!!! Except no one is as happy as Oprah's audience...

Edited by silfeeah
'cause n00b
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, kuanphing said:

marriage proposal are everywhere.. wangsoo to haesoo, yeonhwa to wangsoo, wangyo to yeonhwa.. 

haha true! yet no one is getting accepted or getting married :( 

Feel so bad for So. I mean, 3 times already! no wonder he stole a kiss from HS. He realized that is the only way he is getting anything! 

• Like 6

please bear with me and my frustrations.i know a lot has been said about HS's relationship/feelings or what not with So & Wook. Thank you for sharing the pro points. I started Moon Lovers knowing that it isn't just a romance drama. There's the Game of Thrones, other love lines & other plots. I am also fully aware based from spoilers,notes about the novel and the c-version that this may or may not end on a happy note. I have already accepted that HS & So are not the end game. I even get it So was not HS's first love or whatever we may call it. At some point even I was convinced that Wook was who was meant for Soo.

However, what frustrates,irks,annoys me the most is that that the HS-Wook love line lingered too long. The past episodes built up, I think too much to show how strong those feelings were between the two that I even thought that maybe the epic love story was between them. In spite of Soo's wavering feelings that was shown, expressed in the last 2 episodes, I am not convinced. To the extent that even if in later episodes, HS & So are together, I just can't imagine that Soo will have deep feelings for So.You see, one of the premise for Moon Lovers is that it of Soo & So's epic love story. I know the "epic" aspect is not always with a happy ending but endurance or strength of that love. With how this has turned out, I don't see myself being convinced about the "epic" aspect of the love story of Hae Soo & Wang So. And I just can't see myself being excited anymore about their time together.

I'll just see this through for the game of thrones and maybe the side stories.

--------------------

*now I have to go back watching Exo videos to remind myself why I love Baekhyun*

• Like 12

After staying away for a day (to prevent me having spoilers before watching the episodes)... i LOVED LOVED LOVED  this one.. even while watching it raw i was crying seeing HS-WS parting ways at start and was have tears of happiness seeing their meeting again at laundry hanging place...... this one episode gave me so much to enjoy....

HSs expressions and eyes in both the above scenes were so apt and perfect that you dont need words to understand what she is saying but her expressions said what she was feeling.... and without subs i cried buckets (dont know how will i react after watching it with subs)

@MadraRua thats one perfect analysis on poor gal HS.... she needs some understanding just like WS is their for her.....thanks for sharing...

@moon_nebula @zi4r same here... I too liked this episode and those small yet powerful moments between HS-WS touched my heart, made me cry and happy at the same time.... I am looking forward to see how and when HS finally says those things in her mind to WS, and how he will react to her fear of losing her loved ones one after another.

*now here starts back reading*

• Like 17

38 minutes ago, zi4r said:

@moon_nebula Thank you for your very insightful analysis of HS-WW / HS-WS dynamics. I totally agree with you.

I am actually very glad that they don't make HS so fickle... Without knowing YH & later WW's involvement in the poisoning plot, she cannot know the extent of his betrayal. And from the conversation with Baek-ah while she was kneeling, she knows that even if WW showed solidarity by kneeling (or stand with her like WS did), it would probably have been futile in saving Lady Oh. As she is kind & loyal, she wouldn't fault WW for not being able to help her, nor would she just abandon him.

As for WS-HS moments in this episode (SBS version), I agree that the unspoken words show the depth of the feelings she already has for WS. (Kudosx1000 to IU for the acting; she was good in last episode with the open grief/angst... but the subtlety of her acting in this episode SOLD me her emotions in WS-HS scenes.)

For me, this is a very meaningful episode. While HS-WW romance had always been just about spoken words/promises, HS-WS romance is all about unspoken words and instinctual actions. And that is so very powerful.

Yes, yes and yes to your last sentence. Their love is so beautifully portrayed with their unspoken words and instinctual actions. It is beautiful yet so painful.

• Like 10

In the midst of busy morning, I manage to read recaps from Dramabeans... pssst, don't tell my boss. 
And despite the emotional train last night, now in the broad daylight, I feel quite sane when highlighting some of the silver linings:

Excerpt is taken from: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/moon-lovers-scarlet-heart-ryeo-episode-12/

I notice that after JM told HS that she had to leave the palace immediately, the person that she went to is WS. That's got to be something right? And as she watched WS walking, she's wondering why its difficult to let him go. - at this, I would like knock her head and said tat's because you've fallen for him, you fool! You only stay with WW out of habit and sense of loyalty. 

And the night when WW visited HS, he kept mumbling excuses on why he didnt come. HS didnt seem to listen to this because I think deep down she knew it's BS anyway, she just kept asking "did you miss me" and when he said "every moment", she was contented, as if finding justification of her suffering. 

The hanging laundry scene is one of my fave in this episode: 

"He wraps his arms around her from behind and adds, “I missed you.” Su tells him that he shouldn’t be there as she pulls away from his grasp, but he just takes her work-roughened hands in his and smiles: “You are beautiful, as always.”

That’s when she finally notices his mask, which breaks her out of her stupor. Suddenly she’s all questions, but he unmasks himself to reveal a perfectly covered scar beneath. “I didn’t take it off so I wouldn’t forget you,” he says. “I was determined to come back to you.”"

Again, subconsciously she showed how much she cared for WS. But what comes afterwards, is just hurtful words. So much has left unsaid, so much misunderstanding. One thing I learn from watching drama, it's best to say what you want to say and bear with the consequences, so that it will left no room for misunderstanding and waste time and energy. Life is too short for that. Open communication, people! But alas, this is dramaland. 

And what WS told YH during her marriage proposal makes my heart flutter: 

"After a long silence, So says that when he was very young, someone told him he was fated to be king—but that’s the day he received the scar on his face. He wasn’t even treated as a prince, let alone a king. “We’re destined to be?” he all but scoffs. “I don’t believe in destiny. And there’s someone else I want.” Yeonhwa knows he’s talking about Su, and warns that he’ll ruin his future if he ties his fate to such an unlucky girl."

“I wouldn’t even have had a future if it weren’t for Su,” So replies. “Now that I’ve said it, I know for certain—without her, I’m nothing.”

*double swoon :w00t:

And the marriage proposal, O-M-G, should I say more, I'm melted inside. 
I love love this scene, it tells a lot of things. 
WS has no ambition for the throne (checked).
WS would rather choose HS than the throne (checked).

WS is willing to lose face (divorced) for saving HS (checked) 
WS again and again is not embarrassed to say that he wants HS, will go at length to protect her, be with her (checked)
After meeting the King, I understand completely HS's reaction for rejecting WS. As per the King's advise, she has to do nothing. She's the observant, the witness, of future events.

It's always the paradox of time travelling that makes me curious. Will a single action in the past creates ripples of changes in the future? HS's act of kindness to remove WS's mask - is it predestined? Or without HS, will WS can rise as proper prince and later King himself?
Curious curious indeed. 

I remember Max's saying in one of Dark Angel's episode, "
Oh, please tell me you're not one of those people: because a raindrop fell in the ocean 10,000 years ago... and a butterfly farted in India... you and I are sitting right here right now... enjoying a cup of coffee that tastes like goat richard simmons."

She's super sarcastic - which I love, but what she's saying is perhaps ring true. A single action in the past can create a domino effect for the future. 

Okay, I'm rambling! Enough of that. Hahaha

Overall, last night's episode is heartbreaking but enlightening at the same time. Its definitely not FUN, but finally the plot is thicken. 
Can't wait for tonight's episode! Cheers guys. 

• Like 23

Just now, wackeemarie said:

please bear with me and my frustrations.i know a lot has been said about HS's relationship/feelings or what not with So & Wook. Thank you for sharing the pro points. I started Moon Lovers knowing that it isn't just a romance drama. There's the Game of Thrones, other love lines & other plots. I am also fully aware based from spoilers,notes about the novel and the c-version that this may or may not end on a happy note. I have already accepted that HS & So are not the end game. I even get it So was not HS's first love or whatever we may call it. At some point even I was convinced that Wook was who was meant for Soo.

However, what frustrates,irks,annoys me the most is that that the HS-Wook love line lingered too long. The past episodes built up, I think too much to show how strong those feelings were between the two that I even thought that maybe the epic love story was between them. In spite of Soo's wavering feelings that was shown, expressed in the last 2 episodes, I am not convinced. To the extent that even if in later episodes, HS & So are together, I just can't imagine that Soo will have deep feelings for So.You see, one of the premise for Moon Lovers is that it of Soo & So's epic love story. I know the "epic" aspect is not always with a happy ending but endurance or strength of that love. With how this has turned out, I don't see myself being convinced about the "epic" aspect of the love story of Hae Soo & Wang So. And I just can't see myself being excited anymore about their time together.

I'll just see this through for the game of thrones and maybe the side stories.

--------------------

*now I have to go back watching Exo videos to remind myself why I love Baekhyun*

Well said, chingu. You shared what I've been thinking since the time I watched the 11th episode. They're just dragging and dragging the wookhaesoo parts too long until they almost forget that wang so is the one who should be dragged that long for the romance part. Please also be patient for my frustration. I'm afraid I will not be convinced enough about haesoo's feelings towards our wangso

• Like 8

@MadraRua if we should be pity soo  becos she is now a crippled, then I would rather shake some sense into her and ask her to take the express ticket out of misery by marrying Wang So.

She should stop her noble idiocy. 

My very practical husband who watched the show with me said they are just dragging the arc to buy time.pfffttt.

I don't think I can do the recaps tonight becos I think typing and watching the ep at the same time affected the way I understand the drama....am very sorry about this.

• Like 14

@penelop3 you summarize episode 12 beautifully.. thanks so much .. this episode was so meaningful, breakthrough moment start from this episode..what a task king given to Hae Soo ?? so many question.. im not a good writer like you guys here ... analysis and commentary for this drama was so great .. you guys always make my day .. thanks chingus ..saranghae :heart:

• Like 5

I am now watching the part of the king talk with Soo. Some people said she holding her chest because of her body weakness. But I feel is more of a panic attack. She did that at epi 1 when she saw the boy drowning and she beat her chest. Is the same. She having a panic attack here. No matter how I see, I still think Soo already love So. She just think she is bad luck because almost everyone said that about her and there is a rumor about her. Same like how beginning So had rumor about him. Awww please give me more Soo-So moment.

• Like 22

Is it an issue with the pacing that frustrates you so @qwenli?

If so I would have to agree that it has been a little off. If we look at this in terms of a novel and not a tv series, it might have fit. But as it stands, it has not been all that successful. We should have expected at least one couple of the three to have some sort of resolution. Unfortunately we're in a kind of limbo at this stage. In saying that, I never expected instant gratification from this drama. I must be a masochist, because the original c-version tore me to bits and it looks like in this version I will fare no better. But if the pacing is a little off, I'm still far too engrossed in the drama to let that sidetrack me too much. What can I say? I'm in it for the long haul. This drama has me totally in it's grasp. dunno-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif 

• Like 22

Hey yall! I realized that during the scene when WS meets up with HS after a year and she's telling him to leave her alone, there are voice overs in the SBS ver. Can someone explain to me what she said? I think the International ver. cut it off. So sorry if someone already mentioned this!!! Im just so curious and theres so many pages!!! I cant find it!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SizzlerZ said:

PD said that the journey would be sad but the ending would be happy. Is the rest of the show going to be WS continuing to persue HS and right at the end -when it's too late- she accepts her feelings wholeheartedly? And ofcourse the ending as our amazing astronomers say would be WS transported to 21st century with HS.

I saw that too but I don't understand why. It's not like he's going to war or there's isn't some battle breaking out. The only thing that's happening is the assassination of the king which really doesn't mean he needs to wear an armour. Is her afraid he might be betrayed by WangYo?

He intends to kill Wang Yo once Wang Yo usurps the throne.

• Like 5

KING OR CLOWN?

bbks12_26

What makes a king and hero? One who walks the talk? Wook thinks helping a traitor attain the throne and betraying him later to attain the throne himself would make him a hero. It is a cynical opinion but not an improbable one since the clueless citizens wouldn’t know better. But would So make a better king with that streak of cold-blooded ruthlessness running through him? His father seems to think so based on the fact that So will not lose to anyone and can defeat everyone, and seems to have a rather solid backbone in place. Then we have that moral compass to worry about – Wook or So? I’m ruling out Yo since he has no morals at all. Another Lee Jun Ki screen cap bonanza. The man is beautiful beyond belief. I’m breathless…completely, euphorically breathless.

What the international version did not have – the scene where the Crown Prince airs his thoughts on the open competition for the heir-apparent position; the portion during the Yeon Hwa-So conversation where So states that he is nothing without Soo. Apologies for any typos – I’ve trying to recap this as quickly as possible and I’m losing precious sleep in the process… my eyes are half-closed as I hit the “publish” key. HA. But this drama and LJK have stolen my heart…so I’m happy to sacrifice a little snooze and be a little woozy at work.

The King orders So to be sent to Later Jin as an envoy. It is a dangerous task, as Ji Mong points out. So accepts the order readily on one condition – the king lets Soo stay on Damiwon. The King is displeased that he is still defending Soo but So says Soo is not one person he can abandon. When So leaves the room, the king orders Ji Mong to send Soo somewhere the princes can’t meet and see her. If So can’t forget Soo, it is his job as a father to make sure his son does.

Ji Mong visits Soo, who still is shattered by Lady Oh’s death. He muses that Lady Oh had the eloquence of a queen but not the destiny to be one – was that her luck or misfortune? Soo claims resignedly that Lady Oh died because of her, but Ji Mong refutes her saying that the older lady died without regrets, so Soo shouldn’t feel that way. Ji Mong breaks the news that Soo is to be sent somewhere where the princely boys won’t be able to see her and Soo doesn’t think it is a half-bad idea. I don’t blame her.

So is packing up for his trip, and makes sure to bring his makeup complete with powder puff. HEH. Soo appears and they exchange tiny smiles. They go for a stroll and So asks Soo how she is coping with Lady Oh’s death. He advises the more difficult, the more painful the matter, the sooner she should try to get over it. That gives Soo the opening she needs: she implores Soo to forget her and move on with his life.

So being So shrugs off her words of wisdom, and tells her to stop staying such words – just stay put at Damiwon and wait for his return. Soo takes out the hairpin he gave her, stating that she won’t be waiting for him. He is being sent away because of her – she knows how So hated being sent away previously and how happy he was when he was allowed back into the palace. She is bringing misfortune to those around her.

So answers smoothly then he is the one who seems to be bringing misfortune to those around him and Soo doesn’t seem to be an exception. Awwww…he turning her words on him is becoming a habit… a very cute one. But still, he isn’t going to let her go. He yanks her towards him in the signature So Hug Manoeuvre and lowers his head purposely. Soo attempts to deflect his action and he teases, “Idiot. I told you I won’t do it without your permission.” He releases her and steps back. He takes a quick survey of their surroundings and satisfied that there are no prying eyes in sight, he steps in and drops a quick peck on her kiss. And grins devilishly after, “I lied.” Okay…a playful So is a devastating So to poor me…swwwwooon.

Spoiler

bbks12_23

bbks12_24

bbks12_25

So snatches back the hairpin from her – he’s borrowing it as a good luck charm…AND he will definitely be back. His cheeriness fades when he turns away from her. He knows there is a high probability that Soo isn’t going to wait for him and he is well aware of that. That and he is concerned for her safety. Soo says in her voiceover that she won’t wait for him, even if he risks his life for her and calls her his… she just can’t.

So turns around and waves, flashing a killer smile that obliterates my train of thought. LJK…gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Apparently, Soo isn’t unaffected either as she agonises that she is scared each time they meet. She loves someone else, but she is finding hard to ignore So. Later, as Soo limps back to her quarters, Wook sees her. He stops himself from calling her and turns to leave. Soo, sensing a presence, turns around and spots Wook. She doesn’t call him either so they both go their separate ways.

bbks12_21

bbks12_22

Meanwhile, So is all ready for his mission, looking mighty pretty. He slips on the mask, which lends him a menacing air. And some serious badass. I guess he figures this would instil a sense of fear with the people of the Later Jin since his reputation is infamous when he wore his mask. And off he goes, riding like the wind in forbidding dark robes, leading his troops, looking every inch a king. So LJK is genuinely an adept horse rider, based on the BTS clips I’ve watched. Guess he naturally picked up the skill since he has acted in a dozen sageuks. But hell yeah, LJK on horseback never fails to take my breath away.

bbks12_27

bbks12_28

bbks12_29

Soo is sent away. Jung rushes to find Wook to inform the latter that Soo is no longer at Damiwon. Wook had been writing “Hae Soo” on the paper…sigh. I feel sorry for Wook yet I wish he would do more than mope around doing useless things like that. Wook takes off to Damiwon and he is shocked to see Soo’s room cleaned of her belongings. He screams her name and Soo hears him from a distance. Again, another useless act. URGH.

Yeon Hwa and Yo’s mom have a chat about the missing maid that Wook killed earlier. Yo’s mom acknowledges that Yeon Hwa is similar to her and they will make good partners. Yeon Hwa scoffs that she doesn’t want to be partners any longer – she knows Yo’s mom was behind her mother’s expulsion from the palace after being accused of causing Lady Oh to miscarry. Plus, she warns the older woman never to make her mother kneel again. I don’t like Yeon Hwa but I respect the fact that she is ballsy enough to stand up for her mother and against Yo’s mom. Yo’s mom isn’t impressed but Yo is. He has met with his uncle who is willing to support him on one condition – move the capitol.

One year passes. So the king has issued an edict that any prince can inherit the throne and Yo brings in clansmen to support his bid for the throne. Jung is no longer hiding behind the skirts of his mother – he is off fighting pirates to much success. And interestingly, he has not been visiting his mom either. Good for him. Yo reminds him to visit their mom but Jung snorts that his mom is fine since he has Yo by her side. HA. Love that. Yo comments that Jung has changed since he starting hanging out with Wook.

Meanwhile, the Crown Prince worries not about the open competition for the throne, but for those around him. Meanwhile, Baek Ah is busy watching Woo Hee practise her sword dance and points out that she keeps getting the last move wrong – she keeps brandishing her sword instead of curbing it. Oh well, it’s a no brainer at this point in time as to why. The scene in the preview where Woo Hee stabs the king is her imagination.

Yo presents Yeon Hwa with a promise ring – he’ll divorce all his wives and marry her when he is king. Yeon Hwa is not convinced, knowing that his first wife is the daughter of the vice-premier. Wook sees them together and chides Yo that they are to appear to be at odds in public – he visiting Yeon Hwa would dispute that. When Yo leaves, Yeon Hwa stresses that Wook should be aiming for the throne instead of helping Yo to get there.

Wook drawls that a traitor (Yo) is going to inherit the throne but when a traitor defeats a traitor, the latter becomes a hero. He is referring to himself and he remarks that the ring Yo had given Yeon Hwa looks good on her. He is certain Yeon Hwa can assist him in some way to defeat Yo eventually. I guess he means deploying her feminine wiles and being a hostage, and Yeon Hwa is disconcerted that he can suggest such. Wook reminds her that she owes him huge debt – one that needs repaying. Yikes.

Soo has been demoted to a water maid and is bullied by the other maids when she continually refuses to divulge more information about the princes, and they know that Lady Oh died to save her. Soo fights back but can’t do much to help herself. Jung and Wook watch from a distance as Soo is picked on by the other maids…and she is carrying a limp. OUCH. The poor girl. If you recall, her skirts were bloodied at the legs when So visited her in prison. The torture must have left permanent damage or her wounds weren’t treated properly.

Wook suspects Jung took another route to show his older brother how Soo is. Jung admits he knows about Wook’s and Soo’s past relationship and can’t believe his older brother is not doing anything to help Soo. Wook states Soo was abandoned by the king and he can’t go against the royal order. If the writer follows the Chinese script, Soo eventually ends up with Jung in her last days. He’s probably the brother who causes her the least pain emotionally, plus he has a crush on her. Baek Ah, on the other hand, remains a platonic friend to Soo.

Soo is by the river at night eating rice balls when Wook visits her. He asks after her, and about her leg. He knows Jung has been bringing medicine to her – the lovely boy, bless his heart. Soo claims her leg only hurts after a hard day at work or when she is in the water… which is all the time since she is a water maid? Wook asks her how she is and whether she hates him, and she answers she misses him. She repeats that and asks Wook whether he missed her, even once? He admit he does every day, every second. Yeah, whatever. I miss So every day, every second too until another week comes around.

Soo says that is enough for her while Wook mumbles everything will be better soon. He can’t help her and can’t ask the king for her hand right now. WHATEVER, WOOK. Soo doesn’t look convinced this time. Wook pleads Soo not to fall sick – don’t make him feel worse than he already does. WHAT??? She’s the one suffering while he has the cheek to say that? Urgh. Be gone with Wookie-Washy! I want my Stubborn So!

Wheeee!! Our Black Knight is back and reports to the king. The king takes note of So’s findings and wants him to spy on the Kitan for his next mission. So flatly refuses, stating that the king did not keep to his end of the bargain. That is, to let Soo stay on in Damiwon. HA. LOVE HIS GUTS. Daddy is furious So still has his heart set on So and scowls that a king must be prepared to give up anyone for the nation. So states he doesn’t give a damn, plus he is not a king and doesn’t want to be king. He knows he is supposed to support the Crown Prince but he wants the king to cut him free – he wants to live like a human being for once. He stalks off charismatically, looking beautiful beyond words. Lee Jun Ki…why so handsome? The king is left fuming. HA.

bbks12_19

bbks12_20

General Park tries to defend So’s attitude but instead the King comments rather proudly that So has grown up – he can now defeat anyone and won’t lose to anyone. Was that a test? The king smiles that the can now die in peace and warns his loyal subjects they should prepare for his death. I love General Park’s reaction…HA!

Soo is out hanging laundry and we see So peeping at her. She sees him but thinks she is hallucinating when he disappears the next second. But suddenly, she senses his presence. And lo and behold…the deep, sexy drawl is back. And Lee Hi’s song. Can they just release the full song, please!!!

Soo states, “You just won’t listen. I told you to stay put at Damiwon. You are even prettier as a water maid than a palace maid.” And he steps out and envelopes her in a comforting, gentle hug. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. This is what I call romantic. Soo doesn’t move away – I think she needs the hug though she refuses to admit it. So resumes, ” I miss you.” GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

bbks12_18

bbks12_17

Soo finally moves away, saying he shouldn’t be here and she’ll pretend he never came by. So doesn’t listen to her and instead turns her towards him so that he can take a good look at her. He picks up her bruised hands and gahhh..you can tell his heart is aching but he smiles sweetly, ” You look exactly the same as before. Pretty.” My heart…the sweetness of it all.

bbks12_15

Soo is distracted by his mask, demanding to know why he is wearing it. Is the make-up not working or has the wound festered? So takes off his mask and reveals perfect skin – and a perfect LJK. He says he wore the mask to as to not forget her, that he needed to come back alive for her, to see her again. Again my poor heart.

bbks12_16

bbks12_14

Soo reminds him that she’s no longer a palace maid but a water maid – they cannot be associated any longer. Since he is back and well, and he has seen that she is alive and well, they should end this now.

She limps away and So follows her. He tells her this isn’t the place for her and says he will get out her out. She shakes him away, demanding that he leave her alone. She’s here because she can’t live or die. After a day of back-breaking work, she can almost forget she caused Lady Oh’s death and all painful memories.

bbks12_13

So reaches out for her, saying he can find another way for her to forget. But Soo confesses that So is the last person she wants to see. She is reminded of all bad and painful memories every time she sees him. OUCH. Inwardly, Soo is just trying to drive him away to prevent more trouble. She insists she’ll stay here – she’ll live and survive. So should go on with his life and live it peacefully, without harming and hurting others. So watches her limp away, his heart breaking for her. LJK ah…OMO.

bbks12_12

Soo is brooding in her room when Ji Mong seeks her out. The next time we know, Ji Mong is offering the ailing king a new brew of tea to help his appetite. The king takes one sip and know it was Soo who brewed it and orders Ji Mong to bring her to him.

Meanwhile, Yeon Hwa visits So and proposes to him. He is shocked, figuring he heard her wrong. HAHAHAHA. Yeon Hwa gripes that she isn’t satisfied being a princess or just any other royal…she wants to be queen. So snorts in amusement saying that he ain’t that person – he is the person furthest away from that. Yeon Hwa concurs that much is true but she realised that above all, she is a woman. She has been in love with So for the longest time and they think they are fated for each other.

bbks12_11

bbks12_10

So grows more amused and states that he doesn’t believe in fate though he does admit he was once a little shaken by her. Anyway, he wants someone else and Yeon Hwa guesses it is Soo. She whines that Soo will only cause him misfortune and prevent from achieving greatness but So dismisses that: he is now sure that he is nothing without Soo. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. More than the actual words, it is his unwavering steadfastness that has me swooning.

Soo goes to meet the king. She blanches at his feeble appearance, knowing that he doesn’t have much longer to live. The king notices her expression and spells out he knows that she thinks he is a dying man. And surprisingly, he makes known that he knows she isn’t the real Hae Soo but an imposter. Over the past year, he has conducted his own investigation into her past, servants at Wook’s residence, her so-called family, and knows she ain’t Hae Soo. He asks her where she hails from. When Soo struggles to answer, he shrewdly notes that she seems to have the same fortune-telling abilities as Ji Mong. That means she does know So is destined to be king, doesn’t she? Wowwww…totally didn’t expect this. Soo is shell-shocked at the king’s revelation. She asked to be sent far, far away from the palace.

The king mentions that Soo Yeon (Lady Oh) treated Soo like her daughter, so he will do so, too. He advises her not to do anything but just stay at the palace and watch everything unfold. Don’t try to interfere and do anything – just sit back and watch. It is a pretty awesome suggestion by the king. He muses that it is destined that both the Crown Prince and So would be king but he isn’t too sure how that will play out. Soo steps out of the palace, shaken as she hears the cries and screams of war and fighting around her.

Baek Ah is with Woo Hee, who is practising furiously. She stumbles and he frets over him. She has scars on her wrists and he asks nicely whether he can ask the reason. She nods and he asks her whether he can hug her…and just pulls her into his arms without waiting for answer. HAHAHAHA. Hanging around too much with So, huh? He apologises for being around during her difficult times and she mutters that was before she got to know him to which Baek Ah says that makes him feel more sorry. He says he’ll like to make happy memories with her from now on and implores her to trust him. Woo Hee pushes him away, saying she has no such expectations of him and runs off.

bbks12_9

So Woo Hee and Soo know each other apparently. They bumped into each other before and both noticed they had scars, but didn’t question each other. Soo assures Woo Hee that Baek Ah visits the gisaeng house only because he wants to see her and is a good person. When Soo presses Woo Hee for more information, Woo Hee says the less Soo knows, the better and safer she will be. Anyway, Woo Hee is performing at a party for the king and she wants Soo to do her makeup. She wants Soo to make her look unforgettable and stand out from the crowd…this is how she wants to be remembered.

Yo’s plan is set in motion – his plan to use Woo Hee to murder the king at the party with the clansmen. He is in cahoots with his uncle and reminds the older man not to divulge their plan to his mother. His mother is a strange one – her love for the king is as great as her hatred for him. Wook manages to convince the sickly king to attend the party.

Wook preps for the party and wears armour under his robes. The party goes on as planned. So is all dressed up for it and seeks Soo out instead. He extends the hairpin to her and proposes marriage – this is only way to get her out of the water maid duties. Soo turns him down (then I’ll accept on your behalf, honey) and he sighs heavily, “If you really dislike me that much, you can divorce me once you are out of the palace. I’ll willing to do this for you so let’s just get married first.” Ooooommmmmph. He really will do anything for her…even if he doesn’t benefit him. His end goal is ensure her happiness and freedom, with and without him, and that’s the striking difference between he and Wook .

bbks12_7

bbks12_8

Soo, recalling the King’s words, changes her tune and says that So has many great things to accomplish and doesn’t to leave the palace for someone like her. Plus, the king cares and worries for him a lot. So isn’t moved, citing that the king is a king first, father second. He is always testing the princes.

Soo turns solemn and questions So, “If you can become king, will you still leave?” So does his style again and questions her back,” If I become king, will you leave?” All he wants is to be able to live freely and peacefully with her – nothing else matters, even the throne. He presses the hairpin into her palm, “Let’s do it together. You are my person, aren’t you?” As So stares intently into her eyes, Soo is almost tempted to do take up his offer, knowing he is capable of doing as promised. But she shakes him off, saying they can’t get married.

And she spots Wook standing behind them. He has heard everything. Soo runs off and So chases her but is stopped by Wook , who snickers that it is unheard of a prince marrying a water maid. I love that WTH sideway glance So slides him. So snarls that he jolly well marries who he wants and Wook rails that Soo is in this state because she got caught between So and his scheming mother. Yeah, you would like to believe that, Wook.

bbks12_5

bbks12_6

So bits out that he is disgusted by Wook’s incompetence – all he had to know was to prove Soo’s innocence since So gave him clues but but he could not do even that. HELL, YEAH.

bbks12_3

Anyway, back at the party. Won Hee is performing with her troupe. Baek Ah joins the spectators, watching her avidly. Won Hee spots him, and spots his princely robes. She is dismayed but determined to continue her mission. Baek Ah continues to watch her but his smile slowly fades as he senses something is amiss – her expression, her attitude and the fact that she kept up with a stabbing motion for her last move during practice. It hits him what she is going to do. Won Hee flies towards her the king, her sword aimed straight at him…but Baek Ah jumps in her way and she stabs him instead. NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! My baby! This is so chillingly reminiscent of the poison incident.

bbks12_1

Baek Ah smiles a little even in his pain, happy to have stopped the murder of his father, and more so, stopping the woman he loves from committing an unpardonable sin. Meanwhile, Wook and So grab each other by the collar – So scorns at Wook’s style of just thinking, and not putting his thoughts into action. Plus, Soo is no longer his relative and thus, she has nothing to do with him. So doesn’t miss the fact that Wook is wearing armour under his robes. Just you wait, Wook…wait till So finds out his baby Baek Ah got hurt because of your devious plan with Yo.

bbks12_2

Pretty sure Baek Ah didn’t die since he appears alongside So in battle later on. But what a way to get Baek Ah involved in the story big time. I appreciated the fact that he was sharp and intelligent enough to realise Woo Hee had another plan going on and his bravery for preventing the assassination. So would be so proud of him. He is really So’s person, all right. And my Joo Hyukie did fine here… could see his growing discomfort and horror…well done, boy!

The unexpected twist was the king questioning Soo about her authenticity and then accepting readily she is an imposter. But he is a king and he won’t let such trivial matters bother him – he is more worried that Soo will interfere with So’s destiny to become king. Now it makes sense why he allowed General Park to train So in secret while he was being banished to Shinju. I don’t think the king is against So becoming king but doesn’t want it to be at the expense of the Crown Prince.

Maybe that’s why he decided on the open competition for the position of crown prince. He was giving time to So to prove his worth, ability and capability. And So didn’t disappoint. In fact, the king seemed proud that So stood up against him rather than just slinking away in defeat. He respected So for standing up for his beliefs and following through with his decisions, and thinks that a king needs to do that in order to weather cranky ministers and enemies.

Oh, Wook. You started off so well but now…you are just shifting blame to whoever you fancy. I cheered when So called out on his incompetence, which literally landed Soo in jail since Wook did not prove her innocence. We know he has his reasons but he needs to know that by protecting his family, he sacrificed Soo. And that conversation by the river where he uttered more empty promises? Shame on him. When there is a will, there is a way. He could have found some reason to help Soo, as Jung said.

And So… what an amazing character. So complex yet so simple and straightforward in ways of the heart. LJK makes So sooo interesting, unveiling new facets of his character each time, with every scene. That scene where he visits Soo for the first time after his return, when he kept up the light-hearted conversation on how pretty she was, but at the same thing noticing her frailty, her wounds…GAHHHHH. Broke my heart…LJK’s teasing tone yet his eyes spoke volumes about his aching heart.

And the proposal scene – where he offers to divorce Soo once she is out of the palace. Ooommmph. For someone who keeps insisting Soo belongs to him and is his person, he is willing to let her leave him if that secures her happiness and freedom. If that is not love, what is? I mean, knowing So, he may hunt her down after a few months, but I believe he is genuinely prepared to let her go if she insists. Soo knows that – and that scares her as much as it moves her. Wook has nothing on So and she knows.

And LJK???? Another electrifying performance. He has chemistry with everyone. Though unfortunately, he has less chemistry with IU since he is obviously overwhelming her with his intensity and she just doesn’t where to look, or what to do most of the time. NJK has negative chemistry with Seo Hyun, which just makes his scenes with her so grating to the eye. It’s amusing that he had much more chemistry with Kim So Hyun and Kim Sae Ron – maybe because their superior acting chops draws out the chemistry. I mean he has great rapport with LJK and their bromance is fantastic.

• Like 18