[Drama 2016] Moon Lovers ❤ Scarlet Heart Ryeo, 달의 연인-보보경심 려 \^0^/ Soompi Kdrama 2016 Winner

Admin

3 minutes ago, briseis said:

I think this is merely one point of the view, then there are those who have spend the past 2 months complaining that Kag Ha Neul had too much screentime, that he was the PD's favourite, and that LJG's role felt more like a cameo appearance than a lead role. Actually, I think most that most of what people perceive as "tailor-made" role for LJG is actually LJG BEING SO SUPERIOR TO ALL THE ACTORS AND MAKING THE ROLE MUCH MORE THAN IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN.

Personally, I think that the screentime and attention that Wang So's role received was appropriate to that of a male lead and pretty regular to what all kdrama male lead receive. The reason why most of the side characters felt underdeveloped wasn't because LJG had too much screentime but because THERE WERE TOO MANY SIDE CHARACTERS FOR A 20 EPISODE-DRAMA. For instance, if there were 6 more episodes, it wouldn't feel like that. Unfortunately, the writer didn't take this important difference into account while writing the story. She should have simply did without some of the characters, and that would have given her the possibility to develop more characters.

That is enlightening! I think that is also a possibility! Of course to LJG's level they would be like a (no offense) toddler (on acting experience). LJG's brilliant performance caused many people to accuse the staff of intending for Wang So to become the only anchor of this drama from the start (which perhaps... half true? since he's the main hero) I guess the reason why LJG's scene and char development seems to stick out more than the others is because not all side characters are given at least proper treatment... for example Won: I really don't get his purpose in the drama besides act evil, inciting hates from the viewer, that sketchy loveline with CR and the redemption scene that feels more like a filler rather than actual explanation to the character's mind... and Eun: act cute, act cute, act cute, disappeared to another world and then being butchered to incite sadness. Including his loveline with Soon Deuk... forgive me, but the cute scene at Damiwon certainly isn't enough for me to ship you guys...including the loveline between Wo Hee and Baek Ah...still isn't enough for me to ship them since so many things left unexplained, for example the story before of her suicide and their authentic moment...

You got that right! every scene with Wook that I would just like to skip because it goes like almost HAAAAALF of the drama with the typical fluffy, meet-cute moments that get stale after a while (forgive me WookSoo shippers! :() which makes So appear to be like a cameo....

Yes, I expect more episodes. Shoudn't saeguk have more eps? that is the reason why I never watch saeguk in the first place (yes, this is my first saeguk and boy... fell so hard I did :phew:

Ofc the winner of this drama would be Jimong. "Since when the male lead change?" never fails to crack my sides.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, briseis said:

Thoughts about the Ending

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about the whole final - there are parts which I love, but there are parts which I hate and feel disappointed about. The whole episode has the same weaknesses as the rest of the drama (and the fact that I rarely speak about them doesn’t mean I’m blind to them) - the editing is all over the place, the music editing would need futher editing, there are huge plot holes and many loose ends… Honestly, I think the reason why they decided to end it that way was because the PD and the person in the charge of editing must have been on crack when they made that decision.

When WS says that he will find Soo even if they live in different worlds and then looks directly at the camera, combined with the editing of the exhibition scene, you literally wait for Wang So to appear in front of Soo in the modern time. That one sentence said with so much determination is everything you need to know that the writer always intended for the drama to end with them meeting in the modern days because Wang So has always kept his promises. It would be the fitting closure their love story deserves, but instead the PD chooses that sweet, but really narratively empty piggy-back ride as some attempt at a happy ending and a consolation prize to the viewers. I love to see So and Soo being happy like the next shipper, but in that moment, together with that EXO song playing, it feels terribly narratively wrong. It doesn’t suit the whole mood of the story, IT IS NOT A WORTHY ENDING FOR SUCH EPIC STORY; IT SIMPLY IS NOT MEMORABLE. The ending should be unforgettable, but that scene feels like just another SoSoo rare happy moment. I mean you have that epic moment, loaded with meaning, of So promising to find her and then you suddenly watch them frolicking together and being lighthearted (it feels as if the scene was simply forcibly glued to it)!

tumblr_inline_og68i68g5t1rhkl0p_540.png

Yessss, Totally agree!!!! The last scene where they show how happy they are is just in WRONG TIMING!! I love the happy moment of SoSoo, but it's just showed at the wrong timing. I'm crying like crazy, but suddenly there is a happy flashback scene which even can't heal my wound. It's like "I DON'T CARE ANYMORE" it's a flash back anyway, not the REAL happy ending.

• Like 17

I started re-watching it X°°°D I'm hopeless XDD Hahaha but I don't understand some things... When Go Ha Jin is in the water there are flashbacks about her ex-boyfriend, her friend and a group of ajummas :blink: why the ajummas were chasing after her ? :confused: and why Wook, when she didn't want to come out of the room, said:" I brought you to this place. So I will help you untill the end" ? What did he mean by that?  And it seems like the real Hae Soo had some sort of relation with Wook by the way he looks at her and talks. Maybe I'm reading too much into it xDDDD :joy:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, shinaabby said:

Im really hesitant to sign the petition... BBJQ (the second season of BBJX) killed it for me. I'm not trying to say that MLSHR will be the same, but rather I fear the possibility that the second season will disappoint us in some way... If they do end up making a second season, I'd still watch it to support the cast (& LJG) keke :3

Actually I wouldn't mind a Season 2.. since it will probably be in a modern time settings.. Maybe some of the unfulfilled wishes can actually come true this time.

Eun can become a toy department store owner.. he meets his future wife Seondeok who is shopping and saves her from the big toy teddy bear that almost falls on her

Baek Ah becomes a photographer(instead of artist) and meets Woohee, a model, through a photo shoot.. And ended up married happily ever after

Jung becomes a taekwondo instructor! Or alternately he can open up a martial arts club or become a boxing instructor

and Mu is a doctor this time.. So that he doesn't suffer from some terrible disease or mercury poisoning!

Yeonhwa can reprise her evil role again, but this time we see her getting punished for her sins.. Maybe getting jailed or going broke or going insane?!

and of course So, Yo, and Wook are fighting out for some CEO position in a big company.. And we know who triumphs in the end and wins the love of Soo, who has eventually open up her own cosmetic brand..

one thing though.. pl give So and Yo a kind, gentle, understanding, caring mom this time!

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, briseis said:

It would be the fitting closure their love story deserves, but instead the PD chooses that sweet, but really narratively empty piggy-back ride as some attempt at a happy ending and a consolation prize to the viewers. I love to see So and Soo being happy like the next shipper, but in that moment, together with that EXO song playing, it feels terribly narratively wrong. It doesn’t suit the whole mood of the story, IT IS NOT A WORTHY ENDING FOR SUCH EPIC STORY; IT SIMPLY IS NOT MEMORABLE. The ending should be unforgettable, but that scene feels like just another SoSoo rare happy moment. I mean you have that epic moment, loaded with meaning, of So promising to find her and then you suddenly watch them frolicking together and being lighthearted (it feels as if the scene was simply forcibly glued to it)

Yess! when Exo's song being played I was like, "Oh no. Oh hell no. Please don't do this to me, show." and then that flashback ending. I never felt so betrayed by a drama my whole life :confounded:

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

... :mellow:

which makes sense, ofc. by 'soon' he mean the edited photo of the happy family (finally) together...

which still doesn't offer complete answer to, "If we are not from the same world, I will come to you, my Soo."

still, if this is the answer...

I guess I have to strangle someone.

Hahahahaah the "soon" was the edited photo XDD hahahaha. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, makino92 said:

I started re-watching it X°°°D I'm hopeless XDD Hahaha but I don't understand some things... When Go Ha Jin is in the water there are flashbacks about her ex-boyfriend, her friend and a group of ajummas :blink: why the ajummas were chasing after her ? :confused: and why Wook, when she didn't want to come out of the room, said:" I brought you to this place. So I will help you untill the end" ? What did he mean by that?  And it seems like the real Hae Soo had some sort of relation with Wook by the way he looks at her and talks. Maybe I'm reading too much into it xDDDD :joy:

You comment makes me want to list the remaining questions I have about the backstory:

1. Before Soo's drowning, her hair colour is red. Why is it turn black now at the present? (besides the theory that this is another alternate present or something...)

2. What is the REAL Hae Soo doing in the prince's bath? and what happened to her when Ha Jin got switched with her?

3. Who is Jimong? Is he like The Master of The Universe or something? and why did he jolt Hajin's memory of Goryo back?

4. "It turns out I have only one king. he is a friend, a brother, and a monarch. Stop chasing after the person that is not from this world, Your Highness! Unless if you want to turn out like me."

I remember that compared to Taejo, the moment when he lift Moo from the water and mourn deeply while calling his name (not 'your highness') felt very personal. Does he has feelings for Moo?

5. What happen to the boy that Hajin was about to save? 

6. What happen to that copies of So's written poem?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

You comment makes me want to list the remaining questions I have about the backstory:

1. Before Soo's drowning, her hair colour is red. Why is it turn black now at the present? (besides the theory that this is another alternate present or something...)

2. What is the REAL Hae Soo doing in the prince's bath? and what happened to her when Ha Jin got switched with her?

3. Who is Jimong? Is he like The Master of The Universe or something? and why did he jolt Hajin's memory of Goryo back?

4. "It turns out I have only one king. he is a friend, a brother, and a monarch. Stop chasing after the person that is not from this world, Your Highness! Unless if you want to turn out like me."

I remember that compared to Taejo, the moment when he lift Moo from the water and mourn deeply while calling his name (not 'your highness') felt very personal. Does he has feelings for Moo?

5. What happen to the boy that Hajin was about to save? 

6. What happen to that copies of So's written poem?

I also want to know! :astonished: too many things are left unexplained D: Can we ask the writer? I'm serious D: I'm dying to know...

• Like 8

2 hours ago, hiluna said:

I hope you weren't thinking of the "ugly" Oh Hae Young, no way do I want her to ever partner with LJG, however if you were thinking of "pretty" Oh Hae Young, she had chemistry with LJG in Joseon Gunman but I think both of them look too old to play a teenager. IU was perfect for the part.

The pretty Oh Hae Young didn't leave an impression to be a better actress. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Uniform Victory said:

The pretty Oh Hae Young didn't leave an impression to be a better actress. 

I think it was the part she was given, she was probably told that she only had to look pretty and be charming, hardly challenging.  I found her better than the lead actress in Joseon Gunman, a strong antagonist character.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, junejungki said:

Moon Lover's OST already on sale by pre order since last week in Yes Asia. They started sending out order 2 days ago. I'll get mine by next week.

Thank you and @sosooyah19 for your answer. :)

Must check if all instrumental music I found on the Internet is on the soundtrack (I've noticed it's usually not). 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, cedarwood said:

Thank you and @sosooyah19 for your answer. :)

Must check if all instrumental music I found on the Internet is on the soundtrack (I've noticed it's usually not). 

which reminds me... that instrumental OST when So confront Jung to take Soo's ashes? I guess that one haven't make it to the list. still looking for it tho :)

• Like 4

It's been a while seen it was finished but I finally managed to finish this drama ! I can't find the right words but I'm grateful !! To have known the story, such a beautiful story !!! I love this kind of story where you see that the story has a closure ! For me this is a perfect ending !! EVERYTHING FROM THE 4 LAST EPISODES were unbelievably perfect for me!!! I felt the whole story from the bottom of my heart and soul. I love sad endings AND meaningful story ! This drama will probably be one of many favorite drama ! Thanks to the PD, thanks to the writer AND the actors especially !! IU YOU WERE A-MA-ZING !!!! AMA-ZING !!!! I hope she knows it !! 

Thank you all who contributed in this thread !!

• Like 17

1 hour ago, briseis said:

That one sentence said with so much determination is everything you need to know that the writer always intended for the drama to end with them meeting in the modern days because Wang So has always kept his promises. It would be the fitting closure their love story deserves, but instead the PD chooses that sweet, but really narratively empty piggy-back ride as some attempt at a happy ending and a consolation prize to the viewers. I love to see So and Soo being happy like the next shipper, but in that moment, together with that EXO song playing, it feels terribly narratively wrong. It doesn’t suit the whole mood of the story, IT IS NOT A WORTHY ENDING FOR SUCH EPIC STORY; IT SIMPLY IS NOT MEMORABLE. The ending should be unforgettable, but that scene feels like just another SoSoo rare happy moment. I mean you have that epic moment, loaded with meaning, of So promising to find her and then you suddenly watch them frolicking together and being lighthearted (it feels as if the scene was simply forcibly glued to it)!

You've phrased this really well.It's exactly why,though I am OK with such an ending because it was quite logical,I think the ending was a bit weird.

Since LJK posted the recent IG photo,I've started to think that that is the 'soon' he commented about.I have to think that way to keep my sanity and refrain from checking his IG everyday.

Many people want a season 2.And I understand why.It would mean more SoSoo scenes,happier ending and maybe answer questions left behind by the first season.But I personally think season 2 isn't a good idea.My reasons are:

1.What kind of interesting plot can you possibly have in a modern setting?About a Chaebol kind of cinderella story?Been there done that.It'll be a challenge to create plot twists that keep us on the edge of our seats in every episode if season 2 is in a modern setting.

2.KDramas rarely have season 2....(I'm not quite sure why)

3....Even if they do,the cast may not be the same at all.Some people argued that Kdramas like Dream High had a season 2.No offense but I feel like slapping my head when I hear that comment.Kdramas like Dream High are not saeguk or saeguk-fusion dramas.The former depends on themes like school spirit so the drama can continue even if the main cast isn't completely the same.The latter's main story totally depends on the main cast.Not having the main cast in its season 2 will make it feel lacking because the story is supposed to continue from them and not like a certain theme.

I would prefer a special episode of cut scenes.But that would only be a dream for me.Because I can't imagine the amount of cut scenes there are.Missing ChaeRyung scenes,Missing GoHaJin scenes,Missing YeonHwa-HaeSoo scenes etc.1 episode won't be enough to cover all these scenes.So we can only depend on DVD to get a whole picture of what we were supposed to be shown.Unfortunately,there's Korea's political turmoil to think about.Plus,negotiations as to what to put in the video,by when they are distributed etc. will take time.

I don't know who to blame for MLSHR not being presented to us as the cast,crew and we,the audience,expect.I'd like to blame time.Lack of time to show the whole picture,wrong pace of shooting everything,lack of time to re-edit and pass it on to international stations etc.But such things won't happen if time was scheduled correctly and no sudden announcements were made.Correct me if I'm wrong people but I heard MLSHR is supposed to be 25/35(I forgot but this was mentioned in this thread earlier) episodes long?But then was cut short to 20?And then shooting was really rushed near the end that the whole cast and crew couldn't really sleep.Seriously,why was there a sudden reduction in the number of episodes?Obviously the director and editor would have to quickly cut out scenes resulting in the viewers' incomplete understanding of the whole picture of what is going on in Goryeo between the characters.

Sorry for the long rant but I really am interested to find out the root of the problem.Different people are blaming different people for so many scenes and information cut out of MLSHR that I feel that I simply want to know the truth.But of course,we will never know what really happened behind the scenes...

• Like 12