Broadcast Date: November 11, 2016

Cast:

Tang Yan as Princess Li Weiyang

Luo Jing as Ta Bajun

Vaness Wu as Ta Bayu

Lee Hsin Ai as Li Zhangle

Rachel Mao as Li Changru

Synopsis:

The Northern Wei Dynasty was obliterated one night leaving behind the kindhearted Princess Feng Xin Er as an orphan. Although she escapes death, she accidentally enters her enemy's territory and she assumes the identity of Li Wei Yang, the daughter of a tutor. She suffers many hardships but eventually utilises her wisdom and sense of justice to become a powerful woman as well as gaining a beautiful romance.

Watch it here with English subs!

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

A Lin - A Moment of Romance

Additional Links:

Princess Wei Young 锦绣未央 Viki English Subbed Episodes

Princess Wei Young 锦绣未央 English Novel Translations

Princess Wei Young 锦绣未央 Audio Book

Princess Wei Young 锦绣未央 Ebook

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@sugarplum892

Thank you for the beautiful HD pix everyone looks perfect. I cannot wait to see this drama cause I'm a fan of Vanness Wu and his IRL wife. And it's also my first time seeing him in a historical/period drama so I want to see how it turns out. His love interest in this drama is so beautiful. I hope this will turn out to be a great drama. :)

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming+Mainland+Chinese+Drama+2016]+The+Princess+Wei+Yang+锦绣未央
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/20/2016 at 10:01 PM, lolalarue said:

I"m gathering from the synopsis that this is not based on the novel 'The Princess Wei Yang'? Or is a basic adaptation that had to change the origins of the heroine because of the censorship against reincarnation plot lines? 

I guess the drama only kept basic plot but got rid of reborn and tried to fit in northern wei dynasty history as Toba Yu and Toba Jun existed and kings of northern wei dynasty though the two characters were brothers in novel but uncle and nephew in real history. Li Weiyang doesn't exist in history but two of Toba Jun consorts were with surname Li and one of them gave birth to his crown prince and future king Toba Hong. So, I think drama writer try to fit everything in by using basic novel plots. The only thing that is funny is the characters in novel and real history are young (13-14) but the actors in the drama do not match them :D

@kyar7jizhenll Thank you for that information!  I was getting a bit confused with the story in the novel and the drama.  In the novel, wasn't it Tuoba Zhen, instead of Tuoba Jun?  Anyway, they have changed the story so much that I think the novel story is pretty much irrelevant.

But, omg, I love this drama so much that it's not funny!  Tang Yan totally rocks as Princess Xin-er & Li Weiyang.  I loved that she already killed someone & slapped someone in episode 2.  But, how on earth did she get beaten & poisoned & thrown out of the residence in episode 4?  I don't think Li Weiyang in the novel ever got bested because she's always in control & she was really cruel & revengeful.  I'm really hoping to see this side of her shine through. 

I am also hoping that with her second return to the residence in episode 5, Li Weiyang won't get beaten again.  

Btw, is the airing schedule 2 episodes every day (including Sundays) & 1 episode on Saturdays?

@rileyelizabeth yes, it is airing two episodes per day except Saturdays. 

Like I mentioned previously, the drama tries to fit in northern Wei (Toba) dynasty while following some plots/subplots of the novel instead of following the novel, which was set in Dali, faithfully to be a fantasy/ parallel universe drama. Since they're trying to fit into actual history, Toba Zhen was changed to Toba Jun and this character became nephew to Toba Yu instead of older brother.

Spoiler

Weiyang will later become empress dowager and regent to Toba Jun's son. In history, it was empress Feng who was grandaughter of last emperor of northern Yan and her father surrendered to Wei.  He was later accused of crimes during his govenorship and executed by emperor of Wei. Feng became Toba Jun's consort as "beauty" rank and later became empress. One of consort Li (there were two) was forced to comit suicide after her son Toba Hong became crown prince (according to northern wei tradition, every designated cp's mother was forced to kill themselves. I guess so that mother could not influence their son in governing as emperor). So, weiyang's story is similar to Empress Feng but in the drama, she is decendant of northern Liang which also existed during this period (16 kingdoms). Not sure why they did not use Northern Yan to actually reflect Empress Feng?

Although I haven't finished reading whole novel, I feel that drama writer is using events/plots from both before and after weiyang rebirth. I guess she needs to get beaten up or lose once in a while as there is no rebirth and she would not know what kind of danger will be ahead. She could just be extra careful of her stepmother but she would not know what kind of schemes she will have to face. Not sure you understand Mandarin or you were watching raw, weiyang got beaten and thrown out in ep 4 since her stepmother made fishes in the pond die, the special bird bestowed to the family die and weiyang's mother die (though she did not die as weiyang got there earlier and she was able to throw-up the bad medicine) to indicate that weiyang brings bad luck as she was born on 2nd month. 4th sister falling into the pond made the situation worse though it was not planned by stepmom. Not sure the drama is going to show who pulled the sister down into the pond. In the novel, it was weiyang who was hiding pulled her down into the pond. 

There are a lot of changes from novel including family relationships i.e. She is second daughter and third uncle's son is much younger than her in the novel but in the drama he is older than 10 :D

On 11/14/2016 at 5:06 AM, kyar7jizhenll said:

There are a lot of changes from novel

Yes. The 'change' is apparently pretty huge.  In any case, this drama is a mere adaptation, and with any adaptation, some/much of the novel plot and devices will be different or amended.  IMO, the novel can be disregarded. For anyone who hasn't read the novel, it may well do you much good. For those who have, it may do you good if you keep an open mind regarding the drama's interpretation and adaptation. IMO, still a very interesting drama. ENJOY:lol:

gvggjbj.jpg

r7xvqKW.jpg

Can't wait to see firstly, (hehe) the two obverse nature of the romances of Xin Er/Xin'er/Princess WY and Ta Ba Jun vs Ta Ba Yu,  and secondly, how Li Wei Yang now having been broken down to zero.... will  (caution: pls skip spoiler if you don't want to be spoiled :P

Spoiler

eventually rise to become the heroine who propels her man to ascend to his rightful throne and also makes herself,  the Empress Dowager. :) 

Here's a simple and basic relationship chart  I came across in a C-site.

Spoiler

5kFF8JS.png  

(PS: When I can, I'll add on to this chart)

I'm liking the drama so far. I really love the costumes which is so colorful & beautiful. The scenery & drama sets makes me realize how grand a scale filming historical dramas in China. It is truly spectacular and large. I've heard that Tang Yan's voice tends be the high & nasally, but usually they dub Chinese historical dramas. Modern dramas most of times will not dub their voices, only historical dramas. I also like the chemistry between Tang Yan & Luo Jun. They're rumored to be secretly dating, and I can see why the rumors exists. They really have great chemistry (this is their 4th drama collaboration).

Archived