[Drama 2016] Local Hero 동네의 영웅

Seiran029

3 hours ago, LavelyShai said:

Out of everyone, shouldn't the one he be questioning is Seo Ahn? Doesn't he still know she never quit? Shi Yoon's problem is that he's far too trustworthy & this will come back to bite him once he learns of Seo Ahn's true intentions. I am hoping he's doing this on purpose, but I doubt it. 

Yeah the hero is blind in love. XDD

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Neighborhood Hero", who is on Park Si-hoo's side?

Spoiler

photo691827.jpg

There is no one Park Si-hoo can trust; the ex-girlfriend he shared everything with, the team manager and everyone else around him are suspicious. Before he sets out for revenge and justice, Park Si-hoo needs to sort out those he can trust.

On the eighth episode of the OCN drama "Neighborhood Hero", those complicated characters around Baek Si-yoon (Park Si-hoo) tangled among themselves. Baek Si-yoon was confused about who he should trust and he shouldn't.

Baek Si-yoon decides to take revenge on the person who put his team in danger in Macao 3 years ago. Former agents Seo Joon-seok (Kang Nam-gil) and Hwang (Song Jae-ho) who are murdered are two people who knew the truth about Macao 3 years ago.

To make things worse, Baek Si-yoon is appointed as the suspect for these two's murders by Im Tae-ho (Jo Seong-ha). Choi Chan-gyu (Lee Soo-hyeok) and Bae Jeong-yeon (Kwon Yoo-ri) aren't of much help to Im Tae-ho. Yoon Sang-min (Yoon Tae-yeong) who wanted to establish a new town, became an enemy too.

Jeong Soo-hyeok was also suspicious. Baek Si-yoon knew he was being followed and tapped. Seo-ahn (Choi Yoon-so) who kissed and even spent a night with changed in expression at the news of Hwang but Baek Si-yoon didn't notice that.

The former agents didn't get back together but were suspected instead. It seems like it's going to be a lonely battle for Baek Si-yoon.

What the viewers know that Baek Si-yoon doesn't: Im Tae-ho decides to betray Park Seon-ho (Ahn Seok-hwan). He tells his daughter this too and steps in the lead. This is who Si-yoon should hold hands with but the man he trusts is also deeply involved with the Central Information Agency.

It's complicated. Those who are being watched are being followed too and those who are following are also being followed. It's like a messy web.

Si-yoon needs to take revenge but he has no one to reach out to. For "Neighborhood Hero" to portray Baek Si-yoon's revenge with impact, it should reveal who Baek Si-yoon's allies are.

A review about NH by reporter Seo Min Gyo

Translated by H.A.T (parksihoo4u.com)

“Neighborhood Hero”, not leaving the neighborhood “hero play”

It pioneers a new genre called “commmunity-based noir life”.  Meanwhile it is obvious that this OCN drama challenges the mystery genre, trying to add a little sensitivity.  It is great, but its intelligence is in fact comic action.

“Neighborhood Hero” targets the weekend night but has failed to attract the audience which is losing interest.  The hero tries to hide his secret in the neighborhood, but he cannot play a hero apart from the neighborhood.  It has reached the halfway point of 8 episodes in a 16-part series which should be a turning point, but its ratings level is barely over 1%.

“Neighborhood Hero” marks the return of Park Si Hoo.  There is no criticism about the acting.  Park Si Hoo’s acting ability is never in doubt, and even Lee Soo Hyuk and Yuri are good enough to earn a passing grade.  The supporting actors are superb — Jo Sung Ha, Jung Man Sik, Yoon Tae Young, also Choi Yoon So.  The overseas locations such as Japan, China, Hong Kong, and Macau also enrich the drama.

The story is also interesting.  This is the story of a former secret agent bent on revenging the death of a junior colleague, plus a young man seeking employment as a policeman and a detective on a subsistence salary falling into corruption, all three joining forces to secretly help their neighbors in trouble.

Why is it that something seems to be lacking?

Park Si Hoo plays the former CIA agent Baek Si Yoon who hides his identity as the owner of the Neighborhood Bar.  The plot unfolds in an unknown neighborhood where Park Si Hoo nurses his wounds and moonlights at night as the Shadow.

The trademark hat and mask are to hide his identity.  Park Si Hoo is a martial arts expert of the highest level.  His survival skills and take-no-prisoner technique make him a fearsome figure.

However, the high-profile action in the drama does not live up to expectations.  The process by which the hero handles the villains is superficial.  It is also quite ridiculous that one can completely hide one’s identity with a mask and a cap.  It seems so childish to think that’s all it needs to satisfy the viewer.

The connection between the characters is tenuous.  The role of the Writer (Yuri) who constantly appears hinders rather than advances the storyline. The villain characters also fail.  Their brutality creates not horror but actually makes them funny and compares strangely with the hero.

PD Kwak Jeong Hwan who previously directed such dramas as “Love to Kill”, ”Chuno”, and “Basketball” is in the process of undergoing a tremendous worry over this work. He tried to explain his intention: “Intelligence is something removed from the world of the general audience.  So I wanted to create a sympathetic hero in a community-based neighborhood to whom they can relate.”

Unfortunately for PD Kwak has not been able to achieve his challenging goal.  Although the drama is fresh, it is superficial and imperfect.  The solid cinematic quality has been wasted.  The laughter has not been transmitted to the public watching in their sitting rooms.

Now the tvN drama “Signal” is an authentic investigation drama.  The material here is fresh.  The work is complete with superb acting skills of the actors.  The lead and supporting actors, as well as the villains, all created authentic characters.

On the other hand, “Neighborhood Hero” is a non-typical “noir” community-based drama that aims to create a bright and funny atmosphere.  It is a key element for reducing the distance with the viewer.  But mixing the action genre with human drama, together with the unfamiliar background, has exceeded the limits of empathy.

What is needed is for “Neighborhood Hero” to do something special in a turning point.  It is not easy to come up with a crisis due to the numerous weak flashback scenes and slow development.  The public expects the “hottest hero” to be lurking in our neighborhood.

(Source: http://star.mbn.co.kr/view.php?no=142316&year=2016&refer=portal)

----------------------------

Mostly I agree with this review. We have been in the half way but there's not much development and clear explanation about the main issue (mission in macau, who allies with who and how).. I hope in ep 9 most of the conflict elements would be explained enough that viewers dont have to guess here and there too much. And I wanna see more significant role/action of Jung Yeon to help Si Yoon please~!

I found it strange that SY would still have feelings for SA because the first rule of spying should be if you have a three man team and one ends up dead another goes to jail but the third goes home like nothing ever happened number three can't be trusted.

Oddly I do like this drama and I can't figure out why when so much of it is just senseless. You got the bad guys who are working on a 4 trillion dollar deal but they want to haggle, nickle and dime the current owners and if that doesn't work they abused them just to get them out. It would have been easier to relocate them somewhere they would be happy with, but then you wouldn't need the shadow.Low and behold the same people causing all the neighborhood havoc is tied to his failed mission that sent our hero to jail and cost his team mate his life.

@IBELIS @LavelyShai  I think I get the reason why SY still loves SA.

He was about to marry her back then. That means his feeling for her was deep and not simply liking. Then the accident happened, they're separated, and went their own way because of the situation, not because their feeling has disappeared.They didnt properly broke up back then so his feeling for her still there.

After the accident, she didnt get jailed like he did because he took the responsibility by himself and in fact she didnt know when the mission was ceased. So the agency could see that she was not wrong and let her continue working there.

When he was in jail, she tried to visit him but he refused to meet her. So he didnt see she was suspicious when she came to him. He thought she just care for him like she always do. In addition he remembered JW told him about how trustworthy and reliable she is.

However he should not trust her 100% like he (seems) did. ㅡ ㅡ"

I also think he was careless when he cassually took pictures of Hwang president's records in front of her and talking about the issue with her. He knew that the agency monitoring him, trying to get the records, and she still works in the agency! If i remember this right, it still in the same day when he figured out the agency monitoring him for the records and he let her saw the record. !@#$/^&*()

5 minutes ago, LavelyShai said:

I'm not too invested in the love line, but the plot needs to get moving so things will start to make sense. 

lol....I need at least a bit of a love line to stay interested, but the plot itself isn't moving along that great either.

"Neighborhood Hero" Park Si-hoo, is there another like him?

photo695795.jpg

Park Si-hoo is back with a complicated story behind him. Feeling guilty for a friend's death in the past, Park Si-hoo lives quietly as a neighborhood hero. In the meanwhile, he is tracking down the truth about the death of his friend.

OCN weekend drama "Neighborhood Hero" is the story of a former national agent who wants to find out the truth behind his friend's death, teaming up with a poor job applicant and a corrupted police to secretly fight crime in their neighborhood.

Si-yoon (Park Si-hoo) quits the National Intelligence Agency and runs a bar. Sang-min (Yoon Tae-yeong) wants to demolish the neighborhood and build a mall related to Hallyu. So he orders gangsters to terrorize the neighborhood.

Si-yoon turns into a shadow and attacks those gangsters. However, he is caught and arrested. Sang-min's men tell them Si-yoon attacked them with a knife first but Chan-gyu (Lee Soo-hyeok) who saw everything, sides with Si-yoon.

Si-yoon was released thanks to Chan-kyu. Chan=kyu observes Si-yoon through his ex-girlfriend Seo-ahn and Si-yoon suspects Seo-ahn who comes back to him. Si-yoon tells Seo-ahn the wrong information and makes Seo-ahn convince Chan-kyu.

In the end, Chan-kyu threatens the police to release Si-yoon. Si-yoon then lures Chan-kyu and tells him that everyone's death was linked to each other. Si-yoon told Tae-ho (Jo Seong-ha) and Chan-kyu about his plan.

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-neighborhood-hero-park-si-hoo-is-there-another-like-him--91892.html

Park Si-hoo is  great actor...

This drama could have been perfect if it was compressed into 10 or 12 episodes. As a 16-episodes drama, it has several conflicts and bad guys from here and there, but actually those all are connected and the writer seems wanna resolved all of them in 1 or 2 last episodes. So, until now nothing is resolved, the pace is slow, the conflict connection still blur, and it's kinda frustrating for viewers like me. In addition, lot of unnecessary scene, like the repetitive flashback and SY taking out the black bag and checking his gun inside it. Sigh. The cast actors are excellence, the idea is fresh, and the cinematic quality is very nice tho. Why the writer wrote the story that way! ㅜㅜ. It's like originally the story was just for 10 episodes or less, but he decided to expand it.

Btw, all agents who work for Team Leader Soo Hyuk are good looking and beautiful! kkkk. I guess they knew that could lessen viewers' frustration to the story! XD. Not to mention SY's photoshoot-like styles in many scenes. He looked like a model instead of a bar owner or ex-agent. I don't mind at all! lol. yeah~ drama. Oh, actually not only the agents and SY, and CG (of course), lot of additional cast actors are cute/handsome too, like SY's friend that came with motorbike, Minki, and CG's brother. So refreshing for my eyes! kkkkk.

So, regardless of my frustration, I'll keep watching til the end, wish for a better eps. ^^

And, yay! Finally SA is erased from SY heart!

Here some pictures of ep 9&10

160120_32_0483.jpg

160120_32_0490.jpg

160105_27_0335.jpg

160120_32_0492.jpg

160120_32_0543.jpg

160120_32_0635.jpg

160114_29_0372.jpg

160120_32_0252.jpg

160105_27_1293.jpg

160105_27_1242.jpg

160120_32_0188.jpg

160120_32_0237.jpg

In the final analysis I guess this will be a spy vs spy knda of drama. The good spies having all been eliminated from active duty and the bad spies still have the protection of the government. The problem for me is that there don't seem to be enough good guys, and it's not just this drama. Why are so many drama's portraying the people as if only a hand full have any honor or loyalty that they will do anything for money. I get that there are crooked politicians,police and people who would do anything for money but there needs to be some balance  show us the descent people as well, show us the people willing to fight back and not just wait for someone to save them. Everyone can't wait to the last minute to fight back. For any shopping area it is the masses that will make your business thrive not just the rich, so it makes no sense that the very people you depend on to make your business a success that you trample all over them. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want those shop owners to fight back as well help our hero when he is out numbered show the thugs that thing will not go their way. Our hero needs to band the people together. 

is it just me that finds the romance story between yoon sang min and his lawyer  interesting :wub:

though they had their fight lately but the way he looks and speaks to her ..Omona omooo :blush:I mean yoon tae young made me watch  his drama "strick love" because of that look hehehe 

and what with im tae ho ajushi once he calls park sun hoo a criminal in front of everyone and wants to catch him and when they are alone he calls him sunbae sunbae ,I mean I thought he might have somekinda shizofrenea or somthing ,I know he is so desperate because he needs mony but not to that rate !!

one last thing I'm thinking every eposide can't our hero just let chang gyou and im tae hoo ajushi to work woth him at the bar to solve their financial problems instead of all that worry :sweatingbullets:

thanks for all the soompiers for the updates  

fighting park shi hoo oppa fighting everyone :)

Archived