[Drama 2016] Vampire Detective 뱀파이어 탐정

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ex-MBLAQ member Lee Joon challenges himself in 'Vampire Detective'

By Park Sojung

SEOUL, March 17 (Yonhap) -- Lee Joon, who left the boy band MBLAQ in 2014 to focus on acting, said Thursday he's challenging himself by being part of the upcoming cable TV thriller series "Vampire Detective."

"After reading the script, I immediately thought it would be challenging. I wanted to challenge myself a bit actually," he told reporters at Time Square in southern Seoul. "All my previous work has been about normal people. This time I wanted to try thriller."

In the OCN show, Lee plays detective Yun San, who loses everything, including his girlfriend, in an accident during an undercover operation. Shortly thereafter, he turns into a vampire for reasons to unravel as he solves cases in the show.

Actor Oh Jung-se has been cast as Yong-gu, who hires Yun at his private investigator office to help him get back on his feet.

Actor Lee Joon poses for photos at a press conference promoting his upcoming OCN series "Vampire Detective" in Seoul on March 17, 2016. (Yonhap)

Actor Lee Joon poses for photos at a press conference promoting his upcoming OCN series "Vampire Detective" in Seoul on March 17, 2016. (Yonhap)

"Yong-gu is a complicated and interesting character who is interested in fashion, love and cooking, but investigates for a living," Oh said. "It's been nice working with Lee. Sometimes I overact and annoy the staff members. I've also gotten yelled at by the producer because I laugh too much. But it just goes to show how comfortable I am working with Lee."

"Vampire Detective" follows two seasons of a similar show, "Vampire Prosecutor," on the same cable network in which a prosecutor turns into a vampire. Producer Kim Ga-ram, however, said that's where their similarities end.

"The protagonist in 'Vampire Prosecutor' is a well-established prosecutor. 'Vampire Detective,' though, captures the process in which Yun San develops into a full-fledge detective," Kim said. "I tried to stimulate all five senses using the characteristics of a vampire."

Actress Lee Se-young plays their first client, Han Gyeo-ul, who makes the strange request of protecting her boyfriend from a "strange woman."

"Vampire Detective" premieres on March 27 at 11 p.m.

The main cast of the upcoming OCN series "Vampire Detective." (Yonhap)

The main cast of the upcoming OCN series "Vampire Detective." (Yonhap)

Source : http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2016/03/17/0200000000AEN20160317007800315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

Lee Joon "I chose this drama because I wanted to suffer. Got hit in the head for real" http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/897420

Cdu-wt4W8AALHfd.jpg

Lee Joon "I'm not handsome. I didn't think I'd do well as a vampire" http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=19739677&cloc=

CdvBg5eWEAAKufD.jpg

Lee Joon, "The difference with Gapdong? Yoon San is kind"  http://news1.kr/articles/?2605464

CdvEHaHW4AA8gY0.jpg

Lee Joon "Acting still scares me" http://news.newsway.co.kr/view.php?tp=1&ud=2016031714560774092&md=20160317151929_AO

CdvUBwfW0AABlyw.jpg

Lee Joon, "Oh Jung Se sunbae was like a teacher to me. Taught me a lot" http://en.seoul.co.kr/news/newsView.php?id=20160317500257

CdvgEJPW4AAao3_.jpg

Press conference Lee Joon's Interview translation

credit to @iamoutoftime /twitter

[HanCinema's Drama Preview] "Vampire Detective"

Vampire themed works have had their ups and downs in Korean drama. We do not have all that many of them, but there is a world of difference between "Vampire Prosecutor" and "Blood". As a gimmick, vampirism is starting to get kind of old. Until Lee Joon and Oh Jeong-se came along to be complete bromantic goofballs for our pleasure.

Premise

Yoon San (Lee Joon) is a private detective who gets turned into a vampire. He solves cases for clients while trying to figure out the secrets of his own past and solve the mystery of his new nature.

The Worrying

Screen 1Screen 2

Dull Premise

Handsome man broods over his condition and tries to heal his trauma of the past. Does that sound like almost every male lead in Dramaland to you? This kind of makes the premise seem quite boring. Solving cases, solving the mystery of San's past. At the same time, stories about solving crimes do sound formulaic at first, so this is not something to mourn the show over.

Conflicting Information

Dramaland loves its melodrama. You cannot go five steps without someone sobbing on you and developing a terminal illness these days, so a crime show having an upbeat and goofy tone causes some cognitive dissonance. The idea of a lonely, down-on-his-luck vampire solving a mystery sounds like serious business. Then you watch the promotional material and it looks nothing like a heavy show. What are they going for here and will they maintain it?

The Reassuring

Screen 3

Screen 4

Capable Cast

Coming back to the bromantic goofballs, Lee Joon and Oh Jeong-se are actors who can be quite entertaining in comedy and tend to have good chemistry with those around them. They can also handle themselves well if the series does go darker later on. Lee Se-yeong's and Lee Cheong-ah's characters are still a mystery in terms of how big a place they will have in terms of focus, but they can hopefully be an integral part of this rather than a mandatory, but underutilized female presence.

Promotional Tone

I have watched enough dramas promote themselves as funny and then turn into sob-fests to really trust promotional material, but assuming the creators mean business, this could be a really fun show. We get enough gloomy material to fill our rooms with tears from this industry and sometimes you just need to relax and have fun. If the series does not take itself too seriously and simply aims to be entertaining and fun, it might be a pleasant change for audiences.

Final Thoughts

"Vampire Detective" might not look terribly exciting at the moment, but a lot of dramas which do fail to deliver anyway. Not everything has to be fresh and sound trendy. OCN has been trying different things lately, some working better than others, so perhaps the time for a less angst-fueled vampire work has arrived. Whatever the case, as long as the series is well-made, it will not need to try too hard to entertain.

"Vampire Detective" begins its run on March 27th and will air every Sunday at 23:00, on OCN. It is directed by Kim Ga-ramand Lee Seung-hoon-IV, written by Yoo Youngseeon and features Lee Joon, Oh Jeong-se, Lee Se-yeong and Lee Cheong-ah.

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-preview-vampire-detective-92590.html 

9 hours ago, joonahlisa_89 said:

Lee Se-yeong's and Lee Cheong-ah's characters are still a mystery in terms of how big a place they will have in terms of focus, but they can hopefully be an integral part of this rather than a mandatory, but underutilized female presence.

I wonder if Lee Seyoung's character is actually not as we see her as, maybe she has something against or she has her own agenda?

3 hours ago, eyjooniesh said:

I wonder if Lee Seyoung's character is actually not as we see her as, maybe she has something against or she has her own agenda?

I was thinking about the same thing when writing it. I can tell Lee Cheong Ah is kind of a femme fatale or villain/antagonist presence, but Lee Se Yeong seems like just a part of the group. Didn't her description mention a brother who had something happen to him? Perhaps her life has been touched by the same person or people who change San's.

I wonder if this will be a case of the characters all having played a part in the lead's past or playing one in the current cases. I mean Oh Jeong Se's looks pretty standard "silly sidekick", but the ladies are a mystery. And hopefully a good one! :)

VD relationship chart!! 

CeKSt3LUIAMAwwC.jpg

'뱀파이어 탐정' 윤산을 중심으로
용구형, 한겨울 등
다양한 인물들이 등장합니다!

그럼 자세히 한 번 살펴볼까요?

3%C0%CE%B9%E6.jpg?type=w1200

먼저 탐정 사무소의 주인!
윤산&용구형 그리고 한겨울!

%C0%B1%BB%EA.jpg?type=w1200

윤산의 주변 인물들로는
강태우와 정유진이 있는데요!

KMS_4915.jpg?type=w1200

둘 다 경찰대학 동기들로
당시 에이스 3인방이었답니다~

KMS_4923.jpg?type=w1200

그리고 유진과 산은
알콩달콩 꽁냥꽁냥하는 사이..

%BF%EB%B1%B8%C7%FC.jpg?type=w1200

용구형의 주변 인물들
바로 박형사와 닥터황~

IMG_3797.jpg?type=w1200

그리고 닥터황의 어시스트 세라는
용구형의 사랑을 듬뿍받는
매력쟁이 섹시 다이너마이트랍니다~♥

More : http://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=3828161&memberNo=1005482&navigationType=push

Archived