Kim Hye-Soo 김혜수 [Drama “Under the Queen’s Umbrella” | Movie “Smugglers”]

Helena

November 22, 2018

In ‘Default,’ Kim Hye-soo tells a story yet untold: Film depicts the struggles the country underwent due to the 1997 financial crisis

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

21200427.jpg
Actor Kim Hye-soo sits for an interview to talk about her upcoming movie “Default.” [ZIP CINEMA]

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) bailout was a critical chapter in Korea’s contemporary history, and it still haunts large parts of society. The financial crisis has been indirectly depicted in many works of fiction since, but there has never been a feature film about what happened until now. 

“Default,” which is set to hit theaters next Wednesday, takes place in 1997, just a week before a tsunami of bankruptcies overwhelm the country and the IMF turnaround program kicks in. Before “Default,” films and TV shows would depict people’s lives being turned upside-down because of the financial difficulties, or cite the ordeal as a reason for a certain problem - but never handle the issue on its own. 

Directed by Choi Kook-hee, the film features actors Kim Hye-soo, Cho Woo-jin, Yoo Ah-in, Huh Joon-ho and French actor Vincent Cassel, each playing a character that represents the different stakes people had at the time. 

Veteran actor Kim takes the lead role with her character Han Si-hyeon, the head of the monetary policy at the Bank of Korea, who is the first to discover that Korea has just a week to prepare for the biggest fiscal downfall in its history. In the film, Han has to come face to face with Cassel’s character, the president of the IMF, to try and stop the country from falling into pieces.

“When I read the script, I felt all the blood in my veins rushing like crazy,” said Kim. “I picked it up like I do with any other script, but then, it was like my senses became wide awake. There were things that made me mad, and things that I needed to look up because I had no idea what they were.”

Kim sat for an interview with Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, to talk about the movie and how she felt like she saw her own life in the film’s story. The following are edited excerpts.

Q. You said that some parts of the plot made you mad. Why was that?

A. I was born into a generation that was greatly affected by the IMF [crisis]. A friend would suddenly move to the countryside and some just left the country. I found out later that I had relatives who could not dodge the damage, which I didn’t know at the time.

One of my friends who saw the movie at the premiere told me that she cried her eyes out. I had known her since we were in elementary school, and though we’ve known each other for that long, we’ve never talked about the IMF bailout. It made me mad because I knew what it was like back then.

How did you feel while watching the movie?

I cried a lot while watching the movie, but it was different from crying out of sadness or agony. I think a lot of people will feel the same way that I did. It may seem like a cliche story, but there’s definitely something there that sends a clear message.

What’s your character Han Si-hyeon like?

She’s a very typical main character. She plays by the books, and she perseveres through hardship - which sounds really boring. But within that typicality, there were cracks where I could find something interesting, something new. And I’m glad I had that room for something a little more warm and heartfelt.

How did you feel when you found out that Vincent Cassel would be joining the crew?

I was actually very curious about who’d be playing the role of the IMF president. [I knew] it was going to be a foreigner, and so I just thought to myself that it could be someone from Europe, and that was it. I knew that it was an important role, but I never knew that the staff would work so hard to cast the role. When they told me later that it was going to be Vincent Cassel, I literally shouted, “What? Oh my god! How did you get him to come?”

What was it like to work with him?

I’ve been acting for a long time, but I’ve not had much chance to work with foreign actors known globally. Plus, I really liked him. I liked him initially because he was handsome, but even more for his acting skills. He is the very definition of versatile. You see all kinds of different emotions he can get across. 

He was very professional while we were filming and nice to everyone. There are certain moments of tension that we shouldn’t miss [as actors], and he missed none of them. The three days [we worked together] were the most memorable days of my life, something that I’ll never be able to experience again. I was so lucky.

What about the other co-stars?

I actually have a very special thank you to pay to Yoo Ah-in. You’d know from the plot that Han Si-hyeon is the main character, then Jeong-hak (Yoo). There’s really no point in saying whose character is first and whose character isn’t, but it’s still something that actors can’t ignore when the casting process takes place.

The role of Jeong-hak is especially difficult to play. So when I heard that Yoo Ah-in decided to join us, I was really surprised because there are other roles out there for an actor, a prominent one at that, too, to flaunt his acting skills. It was a opportunity for me to see him in a new light.

What would you like to say to your co-stars?

If Han Si-hyeon could shine in the film as Han Si-hyeon, it was because of people like Yoo Ah-in, my partner Cho Woo-jin and veteran actor Huh Joon-ho that it could happen. I believe that I had help from my entire team. I thank them so much.

BY CHO YEON-GYEONG [yoon.soyeon@joongang.co.kr]

November 22, 2018

"Default" Kim Hye-soo Memorizes All Her English Lines

Source: Newsen via HanCinema.net

photo1019105.jpg

Kim Hye-soo memorized all the English lines for the movie "Default".

The live movie talk with the cast of "Default" was held on the 21st with directed Choi Gook-hee, actors Kim Hye-soo, Yoo Ah-in, Heo Joon-ho, and Jo Woo-jin.

Kim Hye-soo said, "There were a lot of financial terms that we had to memorize. It was very hard at first. It was my goal to minimize that work before I went to work".

MC Park Kyung-rim mentioned Park Hye-soo's English lines that were even difficult in Korean. However, apparently Park Hye-soo memorized everything when she went to work. Yoo Ah-in agreed and asked for applause.

Kim Hye-soo seemed shy and said, "I took the role of a financial expert to keeps analyzing financial documents. So many of the terms I had never even heard of before, even in Korean. I needed to be prepared".

She added, "The preparation time was about 5 months, but it took me about 4 months and 2 weeks to memorize all that".

Meanwhile, "Default" is about the untold story of the IMF negotiations during the foreign exchange crisis. Kim Hye-soo takes on the role of Han Si-hyeon, someone who foresees the country going into crisis and setting up countermeasures.

• Like 1

November 25, 2018

Kim Hye-soo still looks like 20s in her late 40s [PHOTOS]

optimize

Actress Kim Hye-soo, left, and actor Yoo Yeon-seok on the red carpet at the 39th Blue Dragon Awards at Kyung Hee University's Grand Peace Palace, Seoul, Friday. Yonhap

95f20ebf0ed7461faca1f94274ce29aa.jpg

Kim Hye-soo and Yoo Yeon-seok at the 39th Blue Dragon Awards. Yonhap

By Jung Da-min The Korea Times

Actress Kim Hye-soo, 48, continues to amaze fans with her age-defying beauty.

Kim, who made her debut in 1986, has been in the spotlight in recent years, especially at the annual Blue Dragon Film Awards.

Last Friday, she hosted the 39th film awards with actor Yoo Yeon-seok. It was the 25th year in a row that Kim has hosted the annual awards ceremony.

During the ceremony, veteran actor Park Joong-hoon, 52, said he and Kim began their acting career together in the 1986 film "Ggambo."

Park, who was on stage to hand out the Best Director Award, said, "Kim Hye-soo was two years old back then," giving a big laugh to the audience.

Kim gave a big laugh and replied: "Exactly."

Kim will return to the big screen on Wednesday (Nov. 28) in the film "Default."

09461646de6946b7a6f6ffe6ba9bc0e2.jpg

Kim Hye-soo during an interview with Sports Hankook, for the 2008 film "Modern Boy." Korea Times file

73db2c9b3acf467bbe25e57f3eb2bc21.jpg

Kim Hye-soo in 1999. Korea Times file

d53eb227ef164a91a808f006178b99a6.jpg

Kim Hye-soo in the 1986 film "Ggambo." Korea Times file

damin.jung@koreatimes.co.kr 

• Like 1

December 3, 2018

Spackman Entertainment Group’s Film, DEFAULT, Surpasses 1.5 Million Tickets Within Four Days And Secures Over 40% Of The Market Share, Recording The Highest November Opening In The Korean Box Office History

Source: Business Insider Singapore

• DEFAULT, the best November release in the history of the Korean box office, overtook previous top November titles INSIDE MEN(2015) and INTERSTELLAR(2014)
  • Film exceeded 1.5 million tickets within four days and grossed US$11.4 million in box office revenue since the first day of its wide release

• Other than being the producer of DEFAULT, the Group is also one of the investors of the film, which is headlined by Yoo Ah-in of Spackman Media Group

SINGAPORE – Media OutReach – 3 December 2018 – Spackman Entertainment Group Limited (“Spackman Entertainment Group” or the “Company” and together with its subsidiaries, the “Group“), one of Korea’s leading entertainment production groups founded by international investor Charles Spackman, wishes to announce that the Group’s upcoming film, DEFAULT, produced by the Company’s indirect wholly-owned subsidiary, Zip Cinema Co., Ltd. (“Zip Cinema“), crossed more than 1.5 million tickets within four days after its first day of its wide release in Korea on 28 November 2018. The film secured its highest market share of 43.0% as of yesterday, the first Sunday since its opening day.

DEFAULT attained the highest November opening in the history of the Korean box office, surpassing previous top November titles INSIDE MEN (2015) and INTERSTELLAR (2014). INSIDE MEN (2015), which stars Lee Byung-hun, posted 230,949 tickets on its opening day and ultimately grossed US$50.4 million in box office revenue with total ticket admissions of more than 7 million. INTERSTELLAR (2014), the top 4 foreign films of all time in the history of the Korean box office, recorded 227,025 tickets on its opening day and eventually grossed US$73.7 million in box office revenue with total ticket admissions of more than 10 million.

DEFAULT has continued to rank #1 at the Korean box office, securing more than 40% of the nationwide market share of box office revenue for its first opening weekend.

DEFAULT also received a 95% approval rating as of 2 December 2018, based on the CGV Golden Egg Score which measures the actual audience response on the film. As the top November release in the history of the Korean box office, DEFAULT‘s opening day performance of achieving more than 300,000 ticket admissions validated the film’s popularity and relevance amongst the general public.

Based on the latest statistics from the Korean Film Council, DEFAULT achieved solid weekend box office figures, recording 426,925 tickets for its first Saturday and 399,258 tickets for its first Sunday. Total ticket admissions stood at 1,570,673 with gross box office revenue of US$11.4 million as of 2 December 2018. The film, which was released on an average of 1,155 screens since its first day of its wide release, captured more than 40% of the nationwide market share of box office revenue for its first opening weekend.

In addition to being the producer of DEFAULT, the Group invested 10% of the film’s total production budget. The estimated total production budget for DEFAULT, including prints and advertising costs, is approximately KRW 9.7 billion (or USD 8.6 million).

The latest daily statistics from the Korean Film Council on the performance of DEFAULTare updated on the Group’s website at http://www.spackmanentertainment.com.

DEFAULT has been presold to 17 countries including Canada, Italy, Japan, China (Hong Kong & Macau), Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, the Philippines and the United States.

CJ Entertainment is the overseas distributor of DEFAULT. Clover Films Pte. Ltd., a Singapore-based film distributor, purchased the theatrical distribution rights in Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore and Taiwan.

Headlined by Korean superstar Yoo Ah-in of UAA & Co Inc., a subsidary of the Group’s associated company, Spackman Media Group Limited, DEFAULT depicts the behind-the-scenes story of the tumultuous week leading up to the rescue package agreed upon between the International Monetary Fund (“IMF“) and the Republic of Korea to prevent bankruptcy during the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis.

The film also stars veteran actress Kim Hye-soo, Heo Jun-ho, Jo Woo-jin and French actor Vincent Cassel.

In DEFAULT, Yoo Ah-in plays a mega investor betting against the country’s fortunes. Kim Hye-Soo acts as the leader of the monetary policy team at the Bank of Korea, and French actor Vincent Cassel takes on the role of the managing director of IMF. The film marks the first South Korean project of Vincent Cassel, who starred in French independent films LA HAINE and L’APPARTMENT, as well as Hollywood movies OCEAN’S TWELVE, OCEAN’S THIRTEEN and BLACK SWAN.

Directed by Choi Kook-hee, DEFAULT was previously screened at the 71 st Cannes International Film Festival in May 2018.

For more information on DEFAULT and its English trailer, visit the Group’s website at http://www.spackmanentertainmentgroup.com/default-1.html.

Recent media coverage on DEFAULT can also be found at http://www.spackmanentertainmentgroup.com/news.html.

December 3, 2018

'Default' tops weekend box office with over 1 million admissions

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Dec. 3 (Yonhap) -- The Korean drama film "Default" debuted at No. 1 on the weekend box office, dethroning the musical film sensation "Bohemian Rhapsody."

"Default" garnered 1,069,370 admissions from Friday to Sunday to record a cumulative of 1.57 million, data from the Korean Film Council showed Monday.

Directed by Choi Kook-hee, the CJ Entertainment release looks back at a difficult time for South Korea when the country was on the verge of bankruptcy during the 1997 Asian financial crisis. It stars Kim Hye-soo, Cho Woo-jin, Yoo Ah-in and Huh Joon-ho. French actor Vincent Cassel plays the role of the managing director of the International Monetary Fund.

This image provided by CJ Entertainment is a still from "Default". (Yonhap)

"Bohemian Rhapsody" was pushed back down to second after its first win on the weekend chart, which followed three consecutive weeks in the number-two spot. But the biopic on the legendary British rock group Queen remained strong, falling only 15.8 percent from the previous week in terms of viewers in its fifth weekend in the box office.

The film topped 6 million in total attendance on Sunday. It became the most-watched musical film ever in South Korea, beating the 2012 American film "Les Miserables" (5.92 million).

"Unstoppable," starring Ma Dong-seok, took the third spot. The local action flick added 224,051 admissions to its 11-day cumulative of 1.45 million. The film is about a legendary ex-gangster who cracks a human trafficking ring to save his kidnapped wife.

Coming in fourth was "Robin Hood," a new release from Hollywood, seen by 137,503 people. The Taron Egerton-headlined film is the newest reboot of the classic story.

"Intimate Strangers" was fifth with 104,124 admissions, bringing its domestic tally to 5.13 million after five weekends.

The Korean comedy-drama, led by Yoo Hae-jin, Cho Jin-woong and Lee Seo-jin, centers on a circle of friends who decide to lay bare all their secrets at a dinner via a game where they share all incoming messages. It is a Korean remake of the smash hit Italian movie "Perfect Strangers."

sshim@yna.co.kr

December 4, 2018

Local ‘Default’ takes top spot from ‘Rhapsody’: Focused on the 1997 IMF bailout, the film debuted in first place

03195137.jpg
A new release, “Default,” broke the long-running success of “Bohemian Rhapsody” to debut at the top of the weekend box office. [CJ ENTERTAINMENT]

“Default,” a locally-produced film, debuted at the top of the weekend box office, outperforming global hit music drama “Bohemian Rhapsody,” which nevertheless remained strong and ranked second. 

Starring Kim Hye-soo, Cho Woo-jin and Yoo Ah-in, “Default” is a story that deals with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) bailout of Korea in 1997. 

It is directed by Choi Kook-hee, director of 2016 bowling movie “Split.” “Default” sold 1.07 million tickets at 1,168 screens from Friday to Sunday, according to data provided by the Korean Film Council on Monday. It generated 41.9 percent of weekend sales revenue.

Set in 1997, just a week before a wave of bankruptcies that overwhelmed the country and led to IMF intervention, the movie depicts the diverse range of opinions among the leaders and the experts. While the vice minister of finance (played by Cho) sees the bailout as an opportunity to restructure the entire country, others, like Si-hyeon (Kim), a senior analyst at the Bank of Korea, warns government officials of the consequences of the bailout. 

The movie also tells the story of a banker-turned investment consultant (Yoo), as well as that of an owner of a small factory (Huh Joon-ho) who falls into a massive debt. Vincent Cassel appears as the IMF’s managing director. 

In its fifth weekend, “Bohemian Rhapsody” sold 800,000 tickets at 1,103 screens. The movie, which focuses on lead singer Freddie Mercury of the British rock band Queen, became the best-performing music movie in Korea ever as of the weekend, with more than six million admissions. 

Following the rave response in Korea, Queen’s guitarist Brian May sent a video thanking Korean fans and expressed his hope to perform in Korea one day.

At a distant third was action title “Unstoppable.” Starring Ma Dong-seok, the film sold 224,000 tickets in its second weekend. Ma’s fifth title of the year revolves around an ordinary husband (Ma), who abruptly turns into an aggressive fighter after his wife (Song Ji-hyo) gets kidnapped. 

American action adventure movie “Robin Hood,” a remake with Taron Egerton, Jamie Foxx and Jamie Dornan, debuted in fourth. “Intimate Strangers” rounded out the top five in its fifth weekend.

Dashing expectations, J.K. Rowling’s latest fantasy effort failed to grab local viewers. 

03195149.jpg

In its third weekend, “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald,” slid three spots down to land at sixth. The follow-up to 2016’s “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” directed by

David Yates, has sold a total of 2.3 million tickets. 

This is far below the record of the first “Fantastic Beasts” movie, which sold 4.66 tickets in 2016.

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

November 20, 2018

[Herald Review] ‘Default’ both shines and falls short in unexpected places

By Yoon Min-sik The Korea Herald

When choosing a film to see, the lead actor often plays a major part in cinemagoers’ decisions. Lead actors take up much of the screen time, and thus their performances greatly influence how much the audience enjoys the picture. In rare cases, however, the main narrative can have less impact than the overall atmosphere of the film and the subplots.

Director Choi Kook-hee’s drama “Default” is one that exceeded expectations in unexpected aspects.

The film takes us back to 1997, to the eve of the worst financial crisis in Korea’s history. Han Shi-hyeon -- a senior analyst at the Bank of Korea, played by Kim Hye-soo -- foresees the pending crisis and warns senior government officials responsible for finance and the economy. 

The bigwigs take note of the situation, but her call for immediate action and the need to alert the public falls on deaf ears, as the high-ranking officials are more focused on covering everything up. Embodying this sentiment is the vice minister of finance, played by Jo Woo-jin, who sees an opportunity to restructure the entire country as he sees fit.

20181120000656_0.jpg

“Default” (CJ Entertainment)

Another opportunist is Yun Jeong-hak -- a brilliant banker-turned-investment consultant played by Yoo Ah-in -- who accurately predicts that the economy will crumble within days, and sees the pending crisis as a chance of a lifetime.

Meanwhile, Gab-su, a father of two and owner of a small factory played by Heo Joon-ho, is happy that his factory has finally struck a deal to supply a department store. He is completely oblivious of the hell about to unfold.

The main plot involves the real-life bailout negotiations between the Korean government and the International Monetary Fund, while the subplots are twofold: One centers on Gab-su and his struggle for dear life in the face of disaster, and the other on Yun’s mission to get rich while everything falls apart.

The second act, where things start to get serious, is easily the most powerful moment of the movie. As a child at the time, I never understood the concepts of “default,” “bailout” or “bankruptcy,” but I was genuinely worried that the country was going down. 

Seeing it unfold on screen was a surreal experience, fueled by the fact that my parents, relatives and many people I know went through that hell on earth. Heo’s performance, his denial that everything he ever worked for could disappear in a puff of smoke, was far too real and too strong.

20181120000655_0.jpg
“Default” (CJ Entertainment)

But the part that was supposed to be the highlight of the film failed to take off. 

It is not my intention in this review to evaluate the effectiveness of the economic restructuring that the IMF forced upon the country. Many Koreans blame the process for the social problems that ensued -- including the chronically high unemployment rate and the hostile takeovers of local companies by foreign capital. So it is not surprising to see the film assume a critical tone toward the organization and the restructuring process.

One thing that was annoying was Han’s method of addressing this “evil” -- let’s just go with it. Throughout the film, she is depicted as a strong-willed, intelligent person with a no-nonsense attitude and utter disregard for the sexist remarks of her idiotic superiors, who think women are “too emotional.” She is far more capable than any of the sexist men ordering her around.

And what does she choose to do? Give a big, threatening, emotional speech to a man with all the cards. 

Why? Han is capable of gathering more proof for a more effective countermove, which she does later on in the film. 

But this was the problem. In a bid to create a traditional “good versus evil” structure, the negotiation process is oversimplified and overdramatized. Of course the IMF did not have Korea’s best interests at heart, but the situation was a bit more complicated than the way it was depicted in the film. 

With an actor of Vincent Cassel’s status playing the role of the IMF’s managing director, I imagined the role would have more depth. I don’t blame the French actor, though. His performance was quite good, but the character was written as a one-dimensional villain. 

Kim’s acting -- while not eye-popping -- is passable. Yoo Ah-in’s character, however, was very confusing. It is unclear where the director or the actor was going with his character. His mixed feelings about getting rich off other people’s misery seemed to herald a turning point in his character development, until it dissolved into nothingness.

The supporting actors leave far more of an impression. Any scene with Gab-su had me invested right away, and Jo as the vice minister was ultrarealistically malicious and slimy. 

The issue with the film is that that it tackles socially relevant issues that still exist today, but it was extremely overemotional in its approach. This makes it hard to become fully immersed in the action. One thing the film was right on about was the rampant sexism, which was far more blatant in the 1990s.

The third act, though, was the most disappointing. I know the film wants to deliver an important message, and some of it gets through. But just hammering it in is never an effective method.

Overall, I see what the movie is trying to say and want to get onboard on some level. But the message is much too forced, multiple narratives are jumbled and the performances of the leads are not that strong. 

“Default” hits local theaters Nov. 28.

By Yoon Min-sik (minsikyoon@heraldcorp.com)

December 10, 2018

'Default' wins for second weekend at box office

By Shim Sun-ah

SEOUL, Dec. 10 (Yonhap) -- The Korean drama film "Default" is approaching the 3 million mark in attendance with another number one weekend at the box office, data showed Monday.

The movie garnered 631,249 admissions in local theaters from Friday to Sunday, bringing its domestic total to 2.7 million, according to data from the Korean Film Council.

Directed by Choi Kook-hee, the CJ Entertainment release looks back at a difficult time for South Korea, when the country was on the verge of bankruptcy during the 1997 Asian financial crisis. It stars Kim Hye-soo, Cho Woo-jin, Yoo Ah-in and Huh Joon-ho. French actor Vincent Cassel plays the role of the managing director of the International Monetary Fund.

December 11, 2018

‘Default’ holds off competition for second week: ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ continues to rock and roll in its sixth weekend

Despite several new releases hitting theaters last week, the best-performing movies over the weekend stayed the same. While “Default” stayed atop the Korean box office for the second straight week, the sensational “Bohemian Rhapsody” impressively took the second place spot in its sixth weekend.

From Friday to Sunday, “Default,” set right before a wave of bankruptcies that overwhelmed Korea and led to the International Monetary Fund bailout of the country in 1997, sold 631,000 tickets at 982 screens, accounting for 25.9 percent of the entire weekend ticket sales revenue. According to the data provided by the Korean Film Council on Monday, the movie pulled in 5.59 billion won ($5 million) over three days. 

Since its release on Nov. 28, the movie, starring Kim Hye-soo, Cho Woo-jin and Yoo Ah-in, has sold a total of 2.7 million tickets. 

Right behind “Default” was “Bohemian Rhapsody.” In its sixth weekend, the movie, about the British rock band Queen and its lead singer Freddie Mercury, sold 592,000 tickets at 965 screens from Friday to Sunday. 

Since its release on Oct. 31, the movie has sold more than seven million tickets, and has raked in more than 61 billion won as of Sunday. 

Although the horror movie “Door Lock,” adapted from Spanish horror title “Sleep Tight” (2011), started off strong in its debut on Wednesday and continued staying atop the daily box office for the next two days, its performance dropped slightly over the weekend.

Over three days, “Door Lock,” about a woman whose house is continuously being intruded by a mysterious and frightening stranger without her knowledge, sold 572,000 tickets, with total ticket sales adding up to 823,000. The movie shows the realistic dangers, threats and fears a woman living alone could experience.

The movie stars Kong Hyo-jin as the woman living alone, Kim Ye-won as her supportive co-worker and Kim Sung-oh as a detective.

Disney’s live action fantasy film “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms,” arrived at a distant fourth. 

The widely-anticipated movie, starring Keira Knightley, Helen Mirren and Mackenzie Foy, sold only 74,000 admissions. The adaptation of the ballet classic aimed for a splash just ahead of the upcoming Christmas season, but failed to seize people’s hearts.

It features a fearless, young and intelligent heroine named Clara (Foy) who has difficulty getting over the death of her mother. Feeling lethargic and filled with grief, she questions her place in the world. Things suddenly change when Clara receives a locked egg-shaped music box without a key from her father on Christmas Eve. Determined to find out what’s inside, Clara starts a journey to find the key. In the process, she enters a far-away land, where she embarks on a dangerous yet fulfilling journey. 

“Mortal Engines,” another new release, rounded out the top five. 

An adventure fantasy story adapted from the young adult book series by Philip Reeve sold 131,000 tickets over the three days. 

Set in a post-apocalyptic world, where humans live in moving cities that devour smaller towns, the movie revolves around a group of people who try to prevent London - a giant predator city on wheels - from devouring everything in its path. 

BY JIN MIN-JI [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

Photo: Han Ji Min via CJ Entertainment

• 2 weeks later...

November 21, 2018

(Yonhap Feature) Central bank, finance ministry uncomfortable with movie 'Default'

By Kim Boram

SEOUL, Dec. 21 (Yonhap) -- For South Koreans, the word IMF not only refers to the abbreviation for the International Monetary Fund but also conjures up painful memories of one of the worst economic crises in the country's history.

Especially for those in their 40s and 50s, the IMF has become synonymous with the financial crisis of 1997 that led to a series of business collapses, massive layoffs and harsh restructuring programs, the first to really shake a nation that up till then had managed to more or less rack up steady growth over the preceding decades.

A movie poster for "Default" (Yonhap)

A movie poster for "Default" (Yonhap)

The seismic shift that upended the country's complacency is being portrayed vividly on the silver screen through the movie "Default," which was directed by Choi Kook-hee and stars Kim Hye-soo. The film depicts South Koreans, ranging from government officials, young equity investors and small business owners, struggling as their country falls into an unprecedented default.

Ordinary people sense that something is wrong amid signs of economic crisis, and as company after company goes bankrupt and workers find themselves without jobs overnight, panic and confusion reign supreme. In the end, some choose to die in desperation, unable to cope with changes beyond anyone's control.

At the same time, the story focuses on the behind-the-curtain negotiations between the South Korean government and the IMF on a bailout package of some US$60 billion in November 1997.

Han Shi-hyeon, a BOK director who tries on her own to prepare emergency measures to prevent the looming disaster from happening, clashes with finance ministry officials who only seek ways to protect conglomerates and the rich.

The BOK director in the movie opposes the IMF bailout program, which includes all-out corporate restructuring and the complete opening of the country's financial market.

But the vice finance minister argues that the IMF is the white knight for the falling South Korean economy, which finds itself with almost no foreign exchange reserves to deal with the free-falling value of the Korean won. He says the IMF-led restructuring will help the country to effectively deal with troublemaking labor unions and save big-name businesses that are the backbone of the national economy.

As the movie gains popularity, with ticket sales surpassing the 3.5 million mark this week, officials at the BOK and the finance ministry, who were at the center of the national debacle and have often taken flak over the years for their perceived failures, have maintained an uncomfortable silence.

According to officials, former Finance Minister Kang Man-soo served as the vice finance minister who led the negotiations with the IMF at the end of 1997. At the central bank, Jung Kyoo-young, a former deputy BOK governor, was in the position of the fictional character Han Shi-hyeon during the period.

Policymakers at the Ministry of Economy and Finance, which is described as a group of fractious bureaucrats in the movie, expressed apparent displeasure over the movie's "distortion" of the facts.

"In the movie, the vice finance minister looks like an evil person. It's wrong," said a former high-ranking finance ministry official who worked in the economic planning division in 1997.

"He was one of the officials who tried hard to seek ways to overcome the crisis before asking the IMF for a bailout."

He said the BOK was the one that had turned to the IMF rescue fund as the weapon of choice, while the finance ministry had tried to look for alternatives.

"Kang flew to Japan to ask for emergency loans, but he failed as we all know now. Then, he agreed to the IMF bailout plan," the official said. "It's nonsense that the movie effectively left out all the efforts made by finance ministry officials including Kang."

Another finance ministry official, who is currently in office, refused to comment on the movie.

"We are familiar with such blaming. It's not a big deal," he said, adding that he has no plan to see the movie.

BOK insiders, whose organization has been painted as hardworking and earnest, have for their part remained guarded and reticent.

"The finance ministry is in charge of South Korea's foreign currency policy," a senior BOK official said. "The BOK is a working-level agency focused on FX policy management. We can't be at odds with the finance ministry."

He said that, in the late 1990s, the central bank's role was even more limited than now and that it had no right to decide whether to go to the IMF or not.

Along with the 20th anniversary of the IMF bailout last year, protracted debates about who should take responsibility for the 1997 financial crisis have become an issue once again.

Some key government officials, including then-Vice Finance Minister Kang, were indicted on charges of negligence of duty. But the Supreme Court found Kang not guilty.

"It is very hard for officials and economists to expect the current sluggish situation to snowball to a real crisis. Nearly all experts failed to forecast the crises both in 1997 and 2008," the BOK official said. "The BOK submitted a warning in March, although at the time it was too early to say there would be a full blown crisis eight months later."

brk@yna.co.kr

December 23, 2018

Kim Hye Soo Reveals Why She Cried During Han Ji Min’s Award Acceptance Speech

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Kim Hye Soo Reveals Why She Cried During Han Ji Minâs Award Acceptance Speech

Kim Hye Soo showed off her charisma in the latest issue of Elle Korea.

The actress graced the cover of the January 2019 issue of the fashion magazine as well as a pictorial that took place at a hotel penthouse overlooking the city of Seoul.

A source from the magazine said, “From black and white photos and showed off Kim Hye Soo’s natural charms to a fierce pictorial where she wears a red lip, she completed various shots.”

Kim-Hye-Soo4.jpg

About her latest film “Default” where she appears as lead Han Si Hyun, Kim Hye Soo said, “I’ve been always wondering and keeping in mind what living as a better adult and a more mature adult is, and it gave me the opportunity to think more deeply about it.”

Kim-Hye-Soo2.jpg

Kim Hye Soo was seen crying during Han Ji Min’s acceptance speech for the Best Actress award at the 39th Blue Dragon Awards. “It wasn’t the level of a senior encouraging her junior, but it honestly felt more like I was watching myself,” explained the actress. “I know how difficult it is to accomplish that, so you can’t help but form a strong bond and solidarity. At some point, I began to gather the courage to express those kinds of feelings.”

Spoiler

Kim-Hye-Soo1.jpg

Spoiler

Kim-Hye-Soo3.jpg

Source (1)

December 28, 2018

Korean Film Marketers Association Members Select Best Actors Of 2018

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Spoiler

Korean Film Marketers Association Members Select Best Actors Of 2018

Every year, over 100 films make it to the big screen to either wow moviegoers or leave them wanting more. A lot of work goes into making a film stand out, and film advertising marketers’s efforts can’t be overlooked as from the moment a film is planned till after it’s released, marketers present the film in various angles to get people hooked.

Sports Donga worked with the Korean Film Marketers Association (KFMA) to speak with 114 advertising marketers from 23 firms to look back on the Korean film industry in 2018. The marketers were asked four questions, “Which actor shined in 2018?” “What was the best film of 2018?” “Which film had the best marketing strategy of 2018?” and “Which 2019 film will be a rising star?”

Of the list of actors who shined in 2018, Joo Ji Hoon came out on top with 38 votes. In 2018, the actor appeared in the films “Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days,” “The Spy Gone North,” and “Dark Figure of Crime.” The marketers highlighted the fact that Joo Ji Hoon has appeared in multiple projects this year and showcased a wide spectrum of his acting talents.

Another trend that was seen in films in 2018 was the rise of talented actresses. This was best represented by Han Ji Min receiving the second highest number of votes at 21 votes for her role in “Miss Baek.” The marketers applauded the fact that her years of experience shined brightly in the film as she portrayed a character that isn’t easy to find. The marketers highlighted that she is, “An actress who people remember more for her talents than her looks,” and stated that they are interested to see where her career goes as she continues to undergo striking transformations for her roles.

Another actress who had a strong showing on the list was Kim Hye Soo, who came in fourth place with seven votes for her appearance in “Default.” She was recognized for creating a captivating character in the film, and for living up to expectations as one of Korea’s most symbolic actresses. As the marketers described her, “As expected of ‘God’ Hye Soo.” Other noteworthy actresses who made the list included Kim Hyang Gi from “Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days,” Kim Da Mi from “The Witch,” Kim Tae Ri from “Little Forest,” and Kim Hee Ae from “Herstory.”

In third place with 15 votes was Lee Sung Min, for his roles in “The Spy Gone North,” “The Witness,” and “What a Man Wants.” He was described as an actor who is at the top of his game who can lead a film on his own or co-lead it with someone else. Fifth place went to Jo Woo Jin for “Rampant,” “Default,” and “The Drug King” with five votes, and he was applauded for his powerful roles and perfect acting.

Source (1)

happy-new-year-2.gif

December 18, 2018

A Special Lady
Analysis of KIM Hye-soo's Ticket Power

by HWANG Hee-yun KOFIC

sCgsanImtevOPOaNzEjU.jpg

KIM Hye-soo is an actress who holds an extremely special place in Korean cinema. It has already been 32 years since she debuted (in Kam-Bo, released in 1986). While other stars who were active in their late teens around the same time have either disappeared instantly or have been on constant decline since then, KIM Hye-soo’s career has grown larger and stronger with time. If common actresses have a beauty that disappears soon after blooming with splendor like cherry blossoms, you could say KIM Hye-soo is more like a pine tree, foolishly clinging hard to Korean films. KIM Hye-soo’s accomplishments have become even more remarkable after the 2000s, taking on more diverse roles and moving with ease between commercial movies and art films. From the sexy Madam Jung in Tazza: The High Rollers (2006) to the strong-willed Mother in Coin Locker Girl (2015) and the single actress who announces that she is pregnant in Familyhood (2016), the acting range shown by KIM Hye-soo is rich and powerful. With her latest film Default, she shows off her intellectual charm and proves once more her box office power. Default, which retraces the Korean Financial Crisis of 1997, has so far drawn in 3,535,491 spectators and still going strong, demonstrating the strength of its lead actress in the best possible way.

January 5, 2019

Korean Actors Brush up on English-Language Skills

By Pyo Tae-jun The Chosun Ilbo

In his latest film "Take Point," Ha Jung-woo's lines are mostly in English as he heads a group of mercenaries. Ha admits that playing the part was "quite a challenge."

"It drove me nuts whenever my language coach pointed out an incorrect pronunciation when I said a line while trying to immerse myself into my character," he said.

But as Korean films ride a wave of K-pop enthusiasm overseas, it has to be done. Ha took one-on-one English language lessons for six months before filming began.

He and his teacher, Christine Kim, would go for walks during lessons to make speaking English become more natural. "I made him memorize the words, accent and gestures of his favorite basketball player Kobe Bryant and Tom Cruise after watching YouTube," Kim said. "We never sat down when we met for lessons and I trained him to speak in English while walking or moving. A natural sense of language comes with gestures or movements."

In the movie "Default," which is about the 1997 Asian financial crisis, French actor Vincent Cassel and his co-star Kim Hye-soo speak to each other in English. And in "The Drug King," which opened last month, Bae Doo-na also speaks English. She has employed a dialect coach since the early 2000s as she has appeared in a couple of Hollywood films.

Lee Byung-hun, who played a U.S. Marine in the TV drama, "Mr. Sunshine," took English conversation classes at a crammer in Gangnam. Park Jung-geun, the personal tutor for Lee as well as Yoo Ji-tae and Han Hyo-joo, said, "Learning English while sitting down and focusing primarily on grammar is no help at all when acting in a scene. The secret is using hands and learning other gestures.

• 2 weeks later...

Source: Lee Byung Hun IG / thanks to mistymorning at LBH soompi for the translation cuppa.gif

January 17, 2019

Actress Kim Hye Soo sends a coffee truck to CHIEFS OF NAMSAN.

BH's caption:  Thank you Hyesoo-ssi

On the banner showing pics of LBH & LSM: CHIEFS OF NAMSAN Please have a cup of hot coffee!

On the side banner showing picture of KHS: For all casts and staffs working hard in cold weather, cheers to you and fill some caffeine ! 

Another IG sharing via pd.coffee

Didn't expect KHS to send a coffee truck to the filming but it's so nice indeed. :)

January 18, 2019

Lee Byung Hun Thanks Kim Hye Soo For Sending Coffee Truck To Film Set

Source: Soompi by K. Lew

Kim Hye Soo has sent a thoughtful gift to her friend Lee Byung Hun.

On January 17, Lee Byung Hun uploaded photos of a coffee truck sent to the filming site of his upcoming movie “Chiefs of Namsan” (literal translation).

The photos show signs that say, “To the actors and staff who are working hard in the cold weather, please come get a caffeine boost,” “From Kim Hye Soo,” and “‘Chiefs of Namsan’ please have a warm cup of coffee.” Lee Byung Hun also thanked the actress for the coffee truck in his post. The two actors are same-age friends, both born in 1970.

20190117khs.jpg

Lee Byung Hun is currently filming “Chiefs of Namsan,” which is set in the 1970s and involves the CIA. Other actors appearing in the film are Lee Sung Min, Kwak Do Won, Lee Hee Joon, and more.

Kim Hye Soo most recently appeared in the film “Default” alongside Yoo Ah In, Jo Woo Jin, and Heo Joon Ho. She will be starring in an upcoming sci-fi film “Return” (literal translation) with Hwang Jung Min.

Source (1)

• 2 weeks later...

January 31, 2019

Winners Of The 10th Film Award Of The Year

Source: Soompi by S. Park

Winners Of The 10th Film Award Of The Year

Outstanding films and actors were recognized at the 10th Film Award of the Year.

On January 30, the award ceremony took place at the Press Center in Seoul.

11 Bonsangs (main awards) and seven special awards were given out during the ceremony to films that were released from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018 as a result of votes from 64 companies and 90 reporters from the Korean Film Reporters Association.

This year’s Best Film award was given to director Yoon Jong Bin’s “The Spy Gone North.” The film was invited to the midnight screening of the 71st Cannes Film Festival and told the true story of the intelligence war between North and South Korea.

21st Century Fox Korea, the Korean distributor for “Bohemian Rhapsody,” received the Foreign Film Award and its CEO got up on the stage to thank viewers for their support. Joo Ji Hoon was named as the winner of the Best Supporting Actor award, but was unable to attend due to an overseas event.

Jin Seo Yeon, the winner of Best Supporting Actress, expressed her gratitude on stage. She said, “Thank you for giving lots of love to ‘Believer.’ It made me think that the world changed a lot. Boryung, who I portrayed, was a character you couldn’t see in Korean films in the past. I worried if the actress who portrayed this character would be able to appear in another film after this and I thought that I wouldn’t be able to work after this film ended. It was a very strong character, but I was so surprised and thankful that I received so much love from viewers.”

10th-Film-of-the-Year-Award-XPN.jpg

Best Actor Award recipient Lee Sung Min stated, “When I’m confident about a film, I also have confidence during interviews, and I felt confident when ‘The Spy Gone North’ was released. Thank you to those who made the film with me including director Yoon Jong Bin and actors Hwang Jung Min, Joo Ji Hoon, and Jo Jin Woong.”

Han Ji Min won the Best Actress Award and said, “I’m grateful that ‘Miss Baek’ could receive love amongst big films. I’ll become an actress who grows while showing good acting through good projects no matter the size of the film.”

Film Person of the Year went to director Kim Yong Hwa, who set a record for the highest number of moviegoers with “Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds” and “Along with the Gods: The Last 49 Days.” “My mind feels heavy because I’ve received this award for two consecutive years,” said the director. “Thank you to writer Joo Ho Min who gave me inspiration for directing.”

The Judge’s Award was selected by the judges of the Korean Film Reporters Association, and it was awarded to actress Kim Hye Soo who continues to challenge herself through various roles including her most recent film “Default.”

Ahn Sung Ki, who debuted in 1957 through the film “Twilight Train,” received the Special Lifetime Achievement Award. CJ Entertainment’s Department Head Yoo In Ho won Promoter of the Year and Kyunghyang Shinmun’s Kim Kyung Hak won Film Reporter of the Year.

Film Award of the Year was established by the Korean Film Reporters Association in February 2009 to evaluate the year of the Korean film industry and to cheer on people working on films in difficult environments. The Korean Film Reporters Association has 31 members including daily, news agencies, economic, film, sports, and online newspapers. Film reporters from companies belonging to the Korean Film Reporters Association cast votes to choose the winners. The committee has a transparent system of judging where the entire process, including the nominations and voting, is revealed on the website and security is maintained in order to prevent any external pressure.

Check out the full list of winners below:

Best Film: “The Spy Gone North”

Director of the Year: Director Lee Chang Dong (“Burning”)

Best Actor Award: Han Ji Min (“Miss Baek”)

Best Actress Award: Lee Sung Min (“The Spy Gone North”)

Best Supporting Actress: Jin Seo Yeon (“Believer”)

Best Supporting Actor: Joo Ji Hoon (“The Spy Gone North”)

New Actress Award: Kim Da Mi (“The Witch: Part 1. The Suberversion”)

New Actor Award: Nam Joo Hyuk (“The Great Battle”)

Discovery of the Year Award: Jeon Yeo Bin (“After My Death”)

Foreign Film Award: “Bohemian Rhapsody”

Indie Film Award: “After My Death”

Special Lifetime Achievement Award: Jung Ji Young and Ahn Sung Ki

100 Years of Korean Film Award: “Arirang,” “At Daybreak,” “In Search of Love” (literal title)

Film Person of the Year: director Kim Yong Hwa (“Along with the Gods: The Two Worlds”)

Judge’s Award: Kim Hye Soo

Promoter of the Year: CJ Entertainment’s Yoo In Ho

Film Reporter of the Year: Kyunghyang Shinmun’s Kim Kyung Hak

Congratulations to all of the winners!

Source (1) (2)

Top Photo Credit: Xportsnews