[Drama 2015] The Return of Hwang Geum Bok 돌아온 황금복

Ldy Gmerm

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@valsava, I noticed that Viki has a potential page for it...

Maybe if we all favorite it and submit title requests they will actually sub it?  One hopes. I suggest also to comment so they will see that people have interest in this drama.

http://www.viki.com/tv/27515c-the-return-of-hwang-geum-bok

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

Lee Elijah in "The Return of Hwang Geum-bok"

photo600949.jpg

Lee Elijah is promoting the new SBS drama "The Return of Hwang Geum-bok".

Lee Elijah posted a picture telling people to watch her drama.

She posted her pictures saying, "Every Monday to Friday at 7:20PM~". Her innocent look and smiley face makes the picture look lovely.

"The Return of Hwang Geum-bok" features Lee Elijah as Baek Ae-ryeong, a haughty career woman who has charisma as well. She betrays even her best friend to free herself of poverty but has a sad story no one knows about.

Lee Elijah said, "I am anxious to show you Baek Ae-ryeong. We hope for your support!". Meanwhile, "The Return of Hwang Geum-bok is based on a missing mother and Hwang Geum-bok (Sin Da-eun) who searches for her mother.

Source: Hancinema

@valsava, I noticed that Viki has a potential page for it...

Maybe if we all favorite it and submit title requests they will actually sub it?  One hopes. I suggest also to comment so they will see that people have interest in this drama.

http://www.viki.com/tv/27515c-the-return-of-hwang-geum-bok

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

​@irilight,   It's been a while since viki subbed a daily I have seen the page for it but doubt t would be sub plus it's over a 100 episodes not likely to happen but I did put in the request.. BTW thanks for the relationship chart 

Well all today is the D day another 45 mins

Hello All,  The first episode is off to a promising start. The wife stalks the husband putting talisman all in his pillow and he seems to not care two cents about her.. I see the two girls are night and day different just like they moms..

And those girls that was attacking the pretty girl mad because she got into college and they didn't well we see the mom is really jealous and will kill behind her husband.. This drama has a nice cast so for now I'm in..    

I missed the first episode but will try to catch the raw when it comes out.. I am hesitant due to the betrayal that is coming.. but it is par for course in a daily drama with over 100 episodes perhaps.

Daily's normally do not get subbed until after they air awhile or after they end. It is just too much work trying to sub every episode everyday. keeping up with the current episode in a production that takes place M-F and maybe over 100+ episodes.. Some like KBS air theirs and have a two week delay for their dramas with subs (so you are about two weeks behind where the drama may be in the story.).. SBS has not done that that I see and even MBC is a bit behind on its on demand videos or when it is finally broadcast on tv.

I guess we will see what happens. .

Hi everyone! The first episode was quite good and it's obvious AR will betray her friend. She's already jealous because of the boyfriend and the rich guy saving GB won't help at all. 

Rich guy's mom seems evil and also seems to know HB's mom who may be her husband's first love(is this right?). From what I saw in the preview, she will be stalking HB's mom and possibly creating a lot of problems in the near future.

@Ldy Gmerm ....thank you for the recap.

Video from Episode 2:

So she is stealing from the girl.. smh

Additional video maybe added once they show up on Youtube.

Note: video may be out of order as I have not watched the episode yet.

Video Credit DramaSBS Channel on YouTube.

Question: Do you guys want a chat room open for this drama to chat during broadcast?

Guest ina111

@Ldy Gmerm, @valsava - thank you for the videos!

@irilight - thank you for the relationship chart, it is very helpful. 

I enjoyed the first two episodes very much, and I love how fierce Geum Bok is when it comes to defending Ye Ryeong. The girl can fight! I'll take that as a good sign. :)
The lack of subs is definitely a problem for me, but I want to give it a try. It looks like there will be a little bit of everything in this drama -  birth secret, childhood sweethearts, jealousy, crime, mystery, love triangle(s), etc. We're probably getting a nine year time jump after GB's mother disappears.  

@tinatrix236 You're right, Geum Bok's mom, Eun Sil, is Kang Tae Joong's first love, and he never got over her. 
Spoiler-ish information I gathered from the character descriptions on the SBS drama site below.

The wife, Cha Mi Yeon, and his mother made them break up, and the two haven't seen each other in 18 years. I shouldn't start speculating this early, but Geum Bok just happens to be 18 years old... Perhaps that's nothing more than a coincidence.
Cha Mi Yeon's old lover is also listed in the cast of characters, and it says that the two of them also broke up 18 years ago, which makes me wonder if it's possible that Kang Moon Hyeok is not Tae Joong's son. There is also a reference to Mi Yeon keeping some kind of secret and Eun Sil knowing about it. It could be a birth secret related to one of their children, but it could also be something completely different.

Mi Yeon will definitely cause trouble. It seems that she will eventually get Ye Ryeong's mother to betray Eun Sil by offering to help Ye Ryeong out of some difficult situation and by giving her money. 

@ina111,  It's probably money for her daughter to go to college in exchange lure GB from the house to kill her that wife looks pretty jealous and obsess with her husband.. I know it look like that other girl was going to steal GB college acceptance papers and her money for school all because the boy likes GB and not her so it's GB fault..  I also have a feeling that's not his son she's trying to hide..  

Well if her mom can betray her on friend who looks like been taking care of her and her daughter for years yes the daughter can do the same   

Morning All

So it's her (GB) mom comes up missing and it looks like  Baek Ae-ryeong and her mom will help the wife.. I hope this girl don;t take the fall   Baek Ae-ryeong.. This girl has a real evil and violent side to her looks like she killed the girl that always attacking her.. I wonder why was they fighting in the first place.. 

@LdyGmerm,  Thanks in advance for the video cap I'm looking forward to it today because I missed the majority of the episode

Guest ina111

@valsava I also hope that Geum Bok doesn't end up in trouble for that girl's injury, or her mom's disappearance later. That first fight started because the bully girl was jealous (about In Woo, exam grades), but I think Ye Ryeong might have provoked it this time. If I understood correctly, the bully girl was accusing YR of uploading some photo on the school home page that ended up getting her kicked out of school. 

It looks like the Thursday episode will be cancelled because SBS will be broadcasting a soccer game (Korea vs. UAE) starting at 6pm. Episode 4 should air on Friday. 

Written preview for episode 4 and my attempt at translation:
금복이의 생일을 맞이해 식사를 하고 있던 삼과부네 집에 경찰이 들이닥친다. 일진들은 중태 상태인 경선을 때린 사람으로 금복을 지목해 유치장에 갇히게 된다. 한편 미연은 자꾸 태중과 만나는 은실에게 찾아가 금복이를 들먹이며 협박하는데...
Police drop in on the three widows' household during Geum Bok's birthday meal. The bullies peg Geum Bok as the person who hit Kyeong Seon, who is now in critical condition, and Geum Bok gets locked up in jail. Mi Yeon visits Eun Sil who repeatedly met with Tae Joong, and threatens her, bringing up Geum Bok...

Sorry for the double post.

@ina111

Thanks for the preview and the trans along with the information on no episode today..

I can already see Geum Bok is going to go through so much along with her missing mother as well.. If his wife is meeting with her mother and threatening her about Geum Bok that must mean this girl is that man's child and they broke them up before he knew about it. I can almost bet her son is not that man's kid.. Also the way the wife acts shows me (I could be wrong) that she wanted that man when they were younger and he did not want her already dating his first love. She cooks up this plan with his mother to break them up to have him (prolly lying about being pregnant by him.) and yet she still does not have his love the way she wanted after 18 years. She is still jealous of a woman he still holds dear in his heart and his legitimate child of his blood line I want to think that she had to lie about to get him.  Of course this is all my speculation..

But you have to wonder with most of these drama's having backstabbing, lying murdering, thieving friends and family who are right next to you why would you ever need enemies? People who as suppose to have your back and help you only who grin in your face and talk about you behind your back all the while coveting and plotting to take what belongs to you and wanting what you have and being jealous if one person likes you and does not like them. I can never understand why take what belongs to someone else why not work hard and find a way to surpass them why hurt them to steal what did not belong to you in the first place?

The friend I bet is just like that man's wife.. wanted the guy that likes Geum Bok and is mad that he wants GB but not the friend. (instead of just realizing that the man did not have to like her and why is it GB's fault if he does.. its in her mind and her inadequacies that do it. Not to mention she has always been jealous and was never GB's friend.) So in her jealous of that and of her mother and her being so poor she steals from the GB taking her college papers and money (what will she do with it pretend to be GB to take on her life?)  and her and her mother do things to separate the two as well all to get this girl what she wants. Its a shame when people trusted you only to find out later how much they hated you and were jealous of you.

Will we have a situation that Geum Bok ends up railroaded in jail for something she did not do while the friend who did do it goes on to go to school and get a good job(after getting money for her and her mother and being able to move and have a better life) also stealing GB's stupid man who's love or care for GB is easily turned away? (I honestly hate plots where the innocent girl gets sent to jail for whatever reason never having a trial with a bunch of evidence fabricated and her so call best friend testifying against her saying she did it. While GB never thinks that her friend could have betrayed her until she meets the twit again and hears the venom coming out her mouth to her.) This looks like a situation where The mans wife (GB's bio dad) will prolly do something like this in her hate that this man has a child by this woman and still loves that woman. What better way to do anything then to hurt the child that did nothing to you...mmmm? SMH..jealousy really is a nasty sickness in some people.

The friend will become resentful because she will be in the same situation with a man that still cares for his first love.. it is always a vicious cycle when you do things to hurt people that loved and trusted you. Ruining their lives so you can have yours..

I just hope that GB is reunited with her mother when her mother goes missing. I would hate that on top of everything the girl endures her mother ends up dead as well.. that to me would be too much.. Tell me is the dad aware that GB is possibly his daughter.. the age is right for how long they were broken up..??

I will say the best thing about K-drama's is no matter how the story truly unfolds, no matter how much we speculate.. no matter how many we have seen (the same plot devices in different dramas)  lol there is still something that makes our mouths drop open saying did you see that! Can you believe he/she did that? OMG! They did WHAT? lmao at least for me right after I roll my eyes and shake my head.. lol I am still addicted and not going very far to get my fix.

Guest ina111

@Ldy Gmerm I think we're guessing a lot of the same things. It looks like Ye Ryeong will be another one of those "the world owes me" characters. We get the rich variety, the type that has everything and believes that's the way the world should work, and the poor variety, the type that feels that life has been cruel and unfair to them, and that this justifies them being cruel and unfair to others.

I am hoping that the writer will not make Ye Ryeong's character too extreme. The actress playing her seems very good, it would be a waste to have her play some cookie-cutter jealous psycho girl. Craziness may be better for the ratings, but it would be so much more interesting to me if they take a more moderate route, characterize her as someone who makes mistakes, but still maintains some conscience and self-respect .

I don't think Tae Joon knows about Geum Bok yet. When Eun Sil was telling him to leave her alone, I think she told him that she's a married woman with a grown kid, but she didn't share any details, such as GB's age or the fact that her husband is dead. Now that GB has been arrested, and the preview shows Eun Sil asking Tae Joon for help, perhaps he'll get to find out more.

A few more spoiler-ish bits:

The character descriptions say that GB's mom disappears while the four of them are on a trip together, so hopefully that means that GB will get cleared of these false charges. I agree, it would be terrible if she ended up with a prison sentence. (If were a policeman in Korea, I'd hate their drama industry. I get that there are corrupt and inept cops out there, but some of these dramas make good police seem as rare as unicorns.)

One thing that I found odd was that In Woo's character blurb says that GB and her mother get into an accident and disappear without contact, but I don't remember reading about GB disappearing anywhere else. Wouldn't GB just return home after she couldn't find her mother? It's possible I'm just misunderstanding the Korean. It doesn't seem like GB ends up going to college either, so something must happen to her too.

It looks like the kids will meet again at MH's dad's resort, where GB will be a cleaner and MH a director of some sort. YR will probably come in as some higher level employee, after getting all that education on MY's buck. IW will become a prosecutor.

I will say the best thing about K-drama's is no matter how the story truly unfolds, no matter how much we speculate.. no matter how many we have seen (the same plot devices in different dramas)  lol there is still something that makes our mouths drop open saying did you see that! Can you believe he/she did that? OMG! They did WHAT? lmao at least for me right after I roll my eyes and shake my head.. lol I am still addicted and not going very far to get my fix.

​Haha, this is so true! I guess I'm right there with you. There's the incredulous head shake at what happened in the drama, and then a head shake at myself "I can't believe you keep watching this."  I did figure something about half way through "Enchanting Neighbor" though: it's much better for my sanity if I combine watching dailies with exercise. Instant frustration outlet. :D

@ina111

If what you put up is true then GB does not go back after her mother goes missing and continues to look for her in her own way herself. i would not expect her to make it to college if YR's character has stolen money and her college application or acceptance like @valsava may have said. For one no way would this girl who is so nice and loyal even be thinking about school when her only living parent is missing. I expect things will be really hard for her after these charges are gone prolly due to her bio fathers help. I honestly hate that it will take him a min to find out that GB is his daughter. Of course if he does not die (let's all hope he lives to be able to be back with his first love and mother of his child GB in the end.. No crazy death like Only Love..) at some point his wife will make sure he never finds out until the middle or close to the last part of the drama when he gets smart enough to check things out for himself ( I hope this man has found out either before or after they disappear and starts looking for them both.) Of course she will prolly lie to her son as well about this half sis (that really is not since he will turn out to not be that mans child) and her son will become the jealous type and his mother has filled his head up with nonsense especially if he is not really that man's son and some how finds out. 

It is just as I suspected GB will have had to survive and YR went on taking from her to get higher than her. If GB's character is true she will be glad to see her friend again never thinking the twit had something to do with the events that have changed her life or that the woman truly hates her guts. YR will hate to see GB again especially if she is with the boyfriend or trying to be. I would like to think they would change the second lead female as well to not be so obsessed and crazy and having a conscience and a bit of self-respect but remember this girl hurt another girl and let her friend get blamed all because of her jealousy and feelings that her life was unfair for her and her mother. (not sure why working hard to pull yourself up does not work for the bad guys). OF course the fact that the man loved GB and prolly still cares about her in some way does not help her either see sense to not blame GB. Now that she has made a bit of herself by taking from GB and making her life hard there is no way she is going to stop just at that. She will try to keep GB down and continue to try to hurt her from moving up and out of the hole she is in.

Of course a lot of what I typed in the last post above is speculation (the writer could go a different direction but it just seems the characters are showing themselves the way I envision them) but I am glad to see I am not alone in my thoughts about everyone so far.

LOL, you say the same things to yourself that I do.. If I did not do the recaps on EN I would definitely be doing something to let out my stress from yelling at the computer as the stream is going on lol..I am just lucky the only drama  I am doing  a full scene recap for at the moment is EN.. Lol once I was up to six a day.. imagine how much frustration I had watching them and I could not yell it out because I had to pay attention to the stream.. smh...

Archived